Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,401 members, 7,881,461 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:14 PM

2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference (14718 Views)

Prof. Wole Soyinka To Buhari, Convene An Emergency Economic Conference / Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ichidodo: 7:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You're not even Edo (though you may come from Edo State) but Esan. Edo (ie Bini) share more cultural affinity with Yoruba than any other ethnic group.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ichidodo: 7:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You're not even Edo (though you may come from Edo State) but Esan. Edo (ie Bini) share more cultural affinity with Yoruba than any other ethnic group.
Bloody liar.There is no cultural affinity except the use of the word ' OBA' you dont dress alike, language intonation is different,binis are bigger and easier to look at than the yorubas.Dont drag them into Odua republic

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
ichidodo: Bloody liar.There is no cultural affinity except the use of the word ' OBA' you dont dress alike, language intonation is different,binis are bigger and easier to look at than the yorubas.Dont drag them into Odua republic
I only engage you when I notice you've not taken igbo.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ichidodo: 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I only engage you when I notice you've not taken igbo.
Whatever, just don't drag Binis into your odua republic.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
ichidodo: Whatever, just don't drag Binis into your odua republic.
Odua Republic only exists in your imagination and that of Ojukwu.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by amakenny: 7:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
Gbawe: I hope, for the sake of the President, this is not true. If it is, then his opponents everywhere will be ready to highlight his hypocrisy and characteristic desperation to actualise a 2015 win to the extent he now cynically turns towards hijacking something he had denied Nigerians the opportunity of exploring in the past as a veritable tool of negotiating a way forward.

Now that the world is collapsing around him, he wants to cynically and divisively rope Nigerians into his desperate fight to stay in office using the same SNC he firmly and uncompromisingly outlawed. Analysts will also not fail to highlight how this is entirely similar to how a desperate OBJ sought to use a fake SNC to rubber stamp his third term ambition.We all saw OBJ desperately spending a fortune trying to fake "the people's backing" for his effort to stay in office longer than is constitutionally allowed.

If GEJ embarks on this desperate journey, a rocket scientist will not be needed to predict that his critics will have a field day showing GEJ to be "more of the same" and worse ala African 'sit-tight' leaders who want to die in power despite being terrible leaders.

President Jonathan, stick to your words for once. Be principled. If Nigeria had "gone beyond" SNC in 2011, after you had just won and felt untouchable, then the same SNC cannot now be needed today simply because you are desperate to stay in office despite blowing the goodwill Nigerians vested in you to become a monumental disappointment behind the worsening of Nigeria's most serious problems. You have unravelled to become exactly the same as the leaders you claimed you were a departure from with your "fresh air" and "transformation" ruse.

http://ipledge2nigeria.com/index.php/articles/news/editorial-weekly/614-president-rules-out-sovereign-national-conference-.html

But you know it, or you ought to know it: that in politics, emerging circumstances can make any leader change policy. You ought to know that without political reforms, Nigeria must divide no matter how sweet One Nigeria is to you, and that the extant political structure of 19 states in the once one region north with accruing undue excess political representation of core north have made needed political reforms impossible. Without SNC, the rest of Nigeria- Yoruba, Igbo, Ijaw, Bini, Tiv, etc etc, outside the core north, shall continue to slave it out in One Nigeria. What you put down is the usual blackmail your lot who presently benefit from Nigeria as structured do deploy against any body that clamours for reforms .

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
Virgin Finder:

That's what I am saying.

How can Yorubas that own just 37% of a place be deporting and ruling over people who own 63% of the place? grin

Something must be wrong somewhere grin cool

You are truly a Virgin Finder, and I am impressed with your quadratic understanding of the fault lines of the constitution of the expiring amalgamation.

Something is wrong and 'that something' is part of what has to be discussed on the Sovereign National Conference;-The issue of Citizenship and State of Origin. We must make sure that majority carries the vote. 63% should be qualified to contest election and win.

What we have now is minority claiming ownership of a landmass largely population by the Jews of Africa, the greatest merchants of our time.

Our Yoruba brothers agree, but the thieving Lions in the Den wont let justice prevail!

5 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by PapaBrowne(m): 7:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Governor Adams Oshiomohle has always identified with the regional integration of the South West, and the Oba of Benin doesn't see anything wrong in it.

Please kindly exclude us from this Odua dream. Why are we Edos so special like this. People would be dragging us like say na we fine pass.
Oshiomole has never identified with any Odua thing. Oshiomole is the only ACN governor that doesn't pay homage to Tinubu.

Yorubas might have some cultural similarities here and there with Edos but that is simply because of the influence we had over the entire region before the british came thru. And FYI, other tribes have very stronger cultural similarities with us than the Yorubas. And most of these others are in the south south region. Lagos is a different case though as the Lagos Royal family is actually from EDO, just like the Itsekiri and Asaba Royal Families.

Please for the umpteenth time, can you kindly try stop the EDO-ODUA association. I understand that we are very fine and intelligent people and you'll like us in ODUA, but thanks. . . we are fine in SS. We love you back though.

I have spoken as a Bini with Royalty running thru my veins as in IGUN Street things.

5 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ichidodo: 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Odua Republic only exists in your imagination and that of Ojukwu.
Tell me.Did Awolowo ever harbor such thoughts before gulping down copious amounts of Otapiapia?

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by davidodiba(m): 8:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigerians can always agree on the table of brotherhood to better the lots of this dear green land like no other. We should never allow the evil prophecies of the US to come through by agitating for the division of our enviable nation. Together we can smother corruption which as we all know is the root cause of all these agitations.
God bless Nigeria. cheesy
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by davidodiba(m): 8:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigerians can always agree on the table of brotherhood to better the lots of this dear green land like no other. We should never allow the evil prophecies of the U.S to come through by agitating for the division of our enviable nation. Together we can smother corruption which as we all know is the root cause of all these agitations.
God bless Nigeria. cheesy
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by amakenny: 8:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
gsaint trinity: I see many separatists, oduduwa, biafra ND, all being happy but what you people don't know is that SNC if it ever holds would only be advisory nothing like breaking the country would result.
so you expect GEJ to sign a memorandum of break aways... After the break what else? he will fold his hands and go home?
SNC may be a welcome development but it will change little or nothing except some few laws nothing more or less.
Have you ever heard of Mikhail Gorbachev? He is one of the happiest men, happiest Russian today for doing what was right at the right time. If more than half the population of Nigeria have been suffering for close to 100 years owing to the imperfections of One Nigeria, what is the use in keeping Nigeria one?

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by hollypagan: 8:26pm On Sep 15, 2013
cjrane: Jonathan should not convoke any National Conference. He should learn from history. Those who try to save Nigeria,often die before their time.

Let Nigeria continue to grope around, those that destroyed it will later find out that they need to fix it.

GEJ DROP THIS BAD IDEA OF A CONFERENCE!
THUNDER FIRE YOUR MOUTH

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by olivertwist: 8:27pm On Sep 15, 2013
Only a MORALLY UPRIGHT leader can convene an SNC in Nigeria
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by amakenny: 8:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Suddenly, the grand proponents of SNC are shying away from it. Hypocrisy is a disease.
Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to state your cause. Shouldn't you be looking to take advantage of this SNC you have always craved for.

Its here right now for you to grab, but no you suddenly don't want it anymore. Hypocrisy.

They said Abiola must be immortalised. They screamed and shouted. Then UNILAG was renamed after Abiola and they said never ever.
They said Jonathan is not tough on Boko Haram. He got tough and declared state of Emergency, they said it is political and genocidal.
They said Lagos Ibadan expressway concession should be revoked. It was revoked and reawarded to Julius Berger, they said no no no.
They have screamed about Sovereign national conference since I was in Primary School, then Jonathan shows interest and they say no they dont want it anymore.

What kind of people are these?? This pathetic hatred is consuming basis senses out of your brains. Once again, shouldn't you at least seek to hijack and take advantage of the Sovereign National Conference that is about to be declared. Why are you suddenly scared? Or are you suddenly realizing that you are aligned with the North and the South South and the South East are super united as never before hence and SNC would not exactly pan out as you always wanted it? Seriously, be ashamed and very very ashamed of yourselves, the two of you.

About Abiola, June 12 2013 marked exactly 20 years since that monumental election was annulled. It passed like it never happened without any memorable celebration. The reason was simple. The hypocrisy of the cries about June 12 had been exposed with the rejection of Abiola in 2012. It was a historic rejection by folks who had used Abiola for 19 years to express thier natural opposition to anything that doesn't originate from them. By them, I don't refer to an entire tribe as most of the people of the south west are some of the most admirable people on the face of the planet. I refer to the loudmouthed tribalistic ones who usually run their mouths with a mountainous mix of ignorance and hypocrisy and many of them exist here on Nairaland.
But it must become the eight wonder of the world if any notable Yoruba fellow stands up today to reject SNC. SINCE MY EARLY CHILDHOOD, FROM NADECO TO AFENIFERE TO OPC, CALLS FOR SNC HAVE BEEN DEAFINING FROM THOSE YORUBA GROUPS.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by VirginFinder: 8:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
Billyonaire:

You are truly a Virgin Finder, and I am impressed with your quadratic understanding of the fault lines of the constitution of the expiring amalgamation.

Something is wrong and 'that something' is part of what has to be discussed on the Sovereign National Conference;-The issue of Citizenship and State of Origin. We must make sure that majority carries the vote. 63% should be qualified to contest election and win.

What we have now is minority claiming ownership of a landmass largely population populated by the Jews of Africa, the greatest merchants of our time.

Our Yoruba brothers agree, but the thieving Lions in the Den wont let justice prevail!

You guys have always contested from time immemorial and have always lost woefully tongue

Your "63%" population has always turned out useless and actually non existent. Maybe purely a figment of your imagination. grin

I laugh! cheesy
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by VirginFinder: 8:57pm On Sep 15, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Please kindly exclude us from this Odua dream. Why are we Edos so special like this. People would be dragging us like say na we fine pass.
Oshiomole has never identified with any Odua thing. Oshiomole is the only ACN governor that doesn't pay homage to Tinubu.

[s]Yorubas might have some cultural similarities here and there with Edos but that is simply because of the influence we had over the entire region before the british came thru. And FYI, other tribes have very stronger cultural similarities with us than the Yorubas. And most of these others are in the south south region. Lagos is a different case though as the Lagos Royal family is actually from EDO, just like the Itsekiri and Asaba Royal Families.[/s]

Please for the umpteenth time, can you kindly try stop the EDO-ODUA association. I understand that we are very fine and intelligent people and you'll like us in ODUA, but thanks. . . we are fine in SS. We love you back though.

I have spoken as a Bini with Royalty running thru my veins as in IGUN Street things.

Trash!

It's Edos that won't let us be. They keep bearing Yoruba names and speaking Yoruba from time to time.

Have you ever seen any Yoruba give their child an Edo name? Nonsense!

As regards the LAGOS royal family, though it may have been initiated by the Benin,by providence, it eventually passed to the Yorubas via Alagba, an Ijesha man in the 3rd generation.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
Billyonaire:

What we have now is minority claiming ownership of a landmass largely population by the Jews of Africa, the greatest merchants of our time.

Look at the bolded. You really do need to save up whatever theyre giving you to waste ur time on the internet and go back to school.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by VirginFinder: 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
ichidodo: [s]So you think a commune of motor park agberos and Owambe revellers brought about the advancement of Lagos? Foreign investors follow the money trail and not a gang of lazy louts.Suck on that.[/s]

Please mention one major multinational owned by an Ndjigbo man?
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by 4C2215131: 9:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
eluquenson: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference

THERE are indications that President Goodluck Jonathan may soon consider the option of a national sovereign national conference to douse political tension ahead 2015 presidential elections.

A group of political leaders from the South East and South South geopolitical zones were said to have prevailed on the President to wield it as master stroke that would put a stop to the crisis within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the current political instability.

The group, made up of hardcore supporters of the President, said immediate convocation of a Sovereign National Conference among the 389 ethnic nationalities, would douse the tension in the polity and cause combatants in the political arena to pause and think as all component groups in the country take advantage of the platform, where the basis of Nigeria’s existence will be “fully discussed and agreed.”

They are also advising the President that, in case his convoying a SNC makes it difficult for him to run for second term in 2015, he should work to hand over to a President from either the Middle Belt (North Central) or the South East geopolitical zone.

The memo, which is receiving “serious considerations” from President Jonathan, also said the SNC is needed to put a stop to the “blackmail and balkanisation” of the PDP, and give the President “the needed Plan B and C whereby he would shame his critics and stop the domination of Presidential politics by any group or region.”

THE GUARDIAN

Beautiful!
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ShineIt: 9:06pm On Sep 15, 2013
amakenny: But it must become the eight wonder of the world if any notable Yoruba fellow stands up today to reject SNC. SINCE MY EARLY CHILDHOOD, FROM NADECO TO AFENIFERE TO OPC, CALLS FOR SNC HAVE BEEN DEAFINING FROM THOSE YORUBA GROUPS.

Very good observation and I remember they only said this when the South was united.

With Tinubu's leadership its impossible to join forces with Tinubu and bigoted Fashola.

Their tribalism against the SS/SE is so blatant that their only remedy is to join their fellow Muslims in the north.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ichidodo: 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
Virgin Finder:

Orange,Ibeto,Greenlife,Nestoil,Slok.Oya mention 5 multinational coys owned by yorubas.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by PapaBrowne(m): 9:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
Virgin Finder:

Trash!

It's Edos that won't let us be. They keep bearing Yoruba names and speaking Yoruba from time to time.

As regards the LAGOS royal family, though it may have been initiated by the Benin,by providence, it eventually passed to the Yorubas via Alagba, an Ijesha man in the 3rd generation.

No sir. I have never seen an EDO man claim Yoruba. But countless number of threads have opened on Nairaland with Yorubas saying "EDOs are with us". I sincerely don't have a problem with it. I actually see it as a wonderful complement knowing that they say that out of Love for the Edos. But what is is what is. The british tried to punish us because of our hostility towards them during colonialism so they lumped us in the western Region. We backed out 3 years later to form what I think was the smallest region: The then western Region.
Now we are happily and content in the South South. Anything short of that would see us form as Singapore-like entity.

As per Benin's bearing Yoruba names, I have two things to say.
1) Not only is the title of the King of Lagos a Benin name, the city itself Eko is a Benin word for camp.

2)Benin and Yorubas intermarry a lot, like they do with other tribes. The result is a mixture of names. I have many Yoruba cousins. And they bear Benin and Yoruba names. Plus how come a lot of ondos bear Benin names too?
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ShineIt: 9:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
Virgin Finder:

The two richest Yoruba men now Adenuga and Otedola made their money from our oil.

The SW and the North would really struggle in your Nigeria without our oil.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by 4C2215131: 9:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
gsaint trinity: I see many separatists, oduduwa, biafra ND, all being happy but what you people don't know is that SNC if it ever holds would only be advisory nothing like breaking the country would result.
so you expect GEJ to sign a memorandum of break aways... After the break what else? he will fold his hands and go home?
SNC may be a welcome development but it will change little or nothing except some few laws nothing more or less.

Depends on how powerful the changes are. For your information a single law can change the fate of a country. Me thinks it's a welcome development and again the north doth complain too much.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
I wouldn't want Nigeria to divided, why because as an entrepreneur the prospects of having a ready market of roughly 200 million people and 40 million Internet users with no trade barrier standing in the way is golden.

I believe Nigeria is stronger as a nation, we are stronger as One. The USA is a case in point, made up of 50 state each nearly as big as Nigeria with different races not even tribes amidst all the still put aside their differences when it matters and have gone on to build one of the strongest economies in the world.

If we for once put aside tribalism, nepotism and selfishness. Forgetting the mistakes of our fathers, If we can understand that no tribe is better than the other instead we all compliment each other.

The north blessed with her fertile and large agricultural lands, the South with her rich oil fields and very enterprising people and the west with abundance in human and natural resources.

If we can get to that stage where what decides who rules this nation is not Religion or Tribe but intelligence & strength of character.

If average Nigerians can start thinking what can I do for Nigeria instead of what Nigeria can do for me
We will go places

Dividing this nation or the SNC will do us more harm than good.

I believe in one Nigeria because I understand the strength in diversity.
#Matthew Briggs believes in this nation.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Earthwide: 9:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
Virgin Finder:

Trash!

u re a fool. it is some few speaking yoruba community in edo that bear yoruba names not d benins, esan, afeman and rest. so let that suck in ur empty skull ok
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by MarcoP: 10:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
Wislet: THESE PEOPLE THAT KEEP LARGE SPACES WITH SPACED OUT CONTRIBUTIONS THAT hAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE TOpIC ALL IN THE NAME OF CRACKING 'jOKES' (that aren't in any way funny) SHOULD BE BANNED BY THE mODERATORS. Enough of that childishness.

You mean people like Gbawe, Ilegunboy, Eko Ile and their ilks? Always trying so hard all the time to make us swallow their parochial point of view on national issues.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by eluquenson(m): 10:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
How could we achieve our unity in this Nigeria whereby segregation is the issue & ethnic sentiment, just a topic to treat has been placed before you guys, but I could only fathom people raining abusive words on other tribe claiming inferiority & superiority complex.
SNC or no SNC, Nigeria may still unite after all.
Meanwhile, we can still ponder on the below thread & see if that's the real problem of Nigeria or SNC.

www.nairaland.com/1403364/question-ethnicity-problem-nigeria
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ak47mann(m): 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2013
I Wana RULE MY DESTINY. I know we must get through no Matter what a quan cool cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xZRNOereU
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by kcpumping(m): 11:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
Wislet: THESE PEOPLE THAT KEEP LARGE SPACES WITH SPACED OUT CONTRIBUTIONS THAT hAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE TOpIC ALL IN THE NAME OF CRACKING 'jOKES' (that aren't in any way funny) SHOULD BE BANNED BY THE mODERATORS. Enough of that childishness.

But you haven't said anything about d topic...though I agree with u.
Back to d topic.......gues it will be a wise step if allows to hold accordingly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Amosun Attends Swearing In Of Ogun LG/LCDA Chairmen (Photos) / Abia State To Pay N2 Million For Each Murdered Cattle Trader In Abia / Dino Melaye Accuses APC Of Trying To Compromise Election In Ogori (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.