Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,660 members, 7,921,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 03:32 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (133249 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 12:14am On Oct 05, 2013
Take a few seconds and scroll past some pages to where I say:

"Nigerians make it. Some do some don't. Americans make it. Some do, some don't."

Thank you.

Ps: while at it, scroll past sections where I reference that "I am not frustrated by any government"

I think having the right information will help you lay out your thoughts more cohesively ARMED WITH THE RIGHT INFORMATION

I'm sure they taught you that in "Law School" .

I no know book:

I wish I know where u live, I would have given u a very dirty slap for painting Nigerians in the US in such manner. US is hard, I agree, but to paint a picture of a pathetic living by the so called Nigerians in order to dissuade people from coming is very disingenuous. Ol'boy, there are so many very successful Nigerians out here in the US. Talk about what you know. That you are suffering does not mean that the next Nigerian is suffering. That you see and move in the circle of poor Nigerians does not mean that every other person does. We have a reputation out here. Nigerians are seen as very smart and successful by people from other climes. Perhaps, all you see are people that are just starting and paying their dues, which is normal. If you don't want fast money, which by the way, will get in trouble quickly, you must have to pay your dues. By paying your dues, I mean taking the lowly jobs while you work yourself through school. Definitely, things will be hard for you during this period. But once you have paid your dues and you are focused and know what you are doing, you will be successful. I paid my dues when I came. I worked as a security in homeless shelter, from there, I moved to driving of taxi. While I was doing all that, I was going for my masters in law and also passed the bar exam. Right now, I may not have millions, but I'm comfortable. I don't have the kind of pathetic life u painted in your comment. I make enough money to set up industry in Nigeria and employ people.

Why did you lay so much unnecessary emphasis on mortgage? Must you buy a house? Does every Nigerian in the US own a house? Majority of people are renting and they are okay with that. Have you not seen Nigerians that have paid off their mortgages? If you have not, I have. What about cars? Do you assume that every Nigerian has a car note? If that is your assumption, then, you are very far from the truth. Many people buy their cars out-rightly. I did that for two luxury cars. Here is a place that you can buy a fairly used car for $200.00 and many people are going for such cars because they are focused and have greater goals that they are pursuing.

Please Mr. Man, if you are suffering, better return to Nigeria. There's no further need for your continued stay. But, many Nigerians, that I know of, are not. US is very tough, money doesn't grow on trees here, but the opportunities are so great and endless that, if you know what you are doing and you are focused, you will be successful. QUOTE me anywhere!

By the way, if your uncle and wife are doctors as you claim, I will guess that they are pretending to be poor so that you don't get to ask them for money, seeing how poor and defeated by the system that you are.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by nadine07: 12:16am On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

I said the same thing, but when shit hits the fan, I had to unstuck myself... I love VA and will like to stay here while I continue my plans, but as it is, spending extra $250 monthly or an income that hasn't seen increase in 3years is not financially wise. Our people say "ejigho akpata etufuo aba ogalanya (you can't be wealthy by throwing away), so it's a tough decision but that's my own decision.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 12:16am On Oct 05, 2013
imperiouxx:

And that nowhere Guyana too is better than the US. That's a sign of frustrated victim of US embassy Nigeria. I've been reading lots of crap here.

en! I can't buy food.... en! I can't pay rent because it is $1,500 per month which is equal to N 24,0450 in Nigeria.....dumb

And dem no fit go back Nigeria like say dem plugged dem here. If moving forward is hard, I guess going backward should be the next option.
Word. These people come on here an talk all sorts of things. Yet booking a visa appointment at the US Consulate, Lagos na die! The crowd there every day nko? Where are these people coming from then? Mars? grin
If you can't cope in America, move back home! Its as simple as that. But don't dissuade people from coming here!!!! Circumstances differ, and I know plenty of Nigerians who have it good here. undecided and they certainly are immigrants.
They want to come to America and live the kind of life they don't dare dream of in Nigeria. Overnight oo
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 12:18am On Oct 05, 2013
nadine07: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Then again, TX is on my mind... grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 12:20am On Oct 05, 2013
Anyi.:

Classic failed attempt at a joke...
Classic failed attempt at relevance undecided. Go set the P somewhere else....
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 12:21am On Oct 05, 2013
The only antagonist is yourself and your deluded sense of compadre

Lucasbalo: . It's not about reading the thread. Emeka is just a guy with an inflated ego. He is proud and corky for a 21 year old who has not achieve any thing worthwhile in life. He has to be humbled, so he can navigate through life's curves. That's why he has created so many antagonists here.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Inoknowbook: 12:22am On Oct 05, 2013
Anyi.:

you obviously didn't read the whole thread...

I don't have to read the whole freaking thread to know what is going on here. Someone, who is obviously not successful in the US, is trying to ascribe to Nigerians in the US the kind of life he's living. TRUST me, Nigerians in the US are very successful, relatively speaking. We have a reputation here as being very industrious and smart and at the same time fraudulent cry cry. Many Nigerians that I know of are doing real good here. I take offense when someone post that most Nigerians in the US aspire to be nurses, janitors and the rest. I know so many Nigerians that are surgeons, engineers, lawyers, professors etc and they are all very successful. If going by the very erroneous posts that I have seen here, why then are Nigerians the most educated set of immigrants in the US, bare none? Or would you rather believe that Nigerians here are in such lowly jobs (mind you nursing is a great profession here) and yet contribute the major part of over $12b that diasporans send home every year?

Please, if you are not successful, it's high time you left for Nigeria. I am successful and so are many Nigerians. US is a land of opportunity like no where in the world, hard work and determination can take you places.

9 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 12:22am On Oct 05, 2013
chiboy1928: Do you wonder while americans and the british come to nigeria to invest example they don't pay tax here in nigeria as much as they pay in they own country and they have a lot of chances compare to wen they are back home so u see dat the opportunity they have and they come to our country make a lot of money because they see the opportunity we don't see!!!
thts one thing nigerians dont just know. De whites folks r running from their heavy tax system to nigeria, we nigerians r singing and crying out loud to go overseers. I wonder if they ever sit down with white guys and get a good gist of how life is like in some countries overseers. I doubt hey do
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 12:22am On Oct 05, 2013
Can we talk about dress code / dress- style and what is "AMERICAN DRESSING" ? wink grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by nadine07: 12:26am On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

Then again, TX is on my mind... grin grin

hahahhaha u like waka waka ohhh, DMV is the best area......... TEXAS is no go area for ohhhhhhhhh, I love my DMV area.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Inoknowbook: 12:27am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: Take a few seconds and scroll past some pages to where I say:

"Nigerians make it. Some do some don't. Americans make it. Some do, some don't."

Thank you.

Ps: while at it, scroll past sections where I reference that "I am not frustrated by any government"

I think having the right information will help you lay out your thoughts more cohesively ARMED WITH THE RIGHT INFORMATION

I'm sure they taught you that in "Law School" .

You are, obviously, part of those that don't make it. I'll advice you to leave for Nigeria, perhaps, u have a better chance of picking the pieces of your life over there. Nigeria is not that bad. Over here, Nigerians are big time achievers.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 12:32am On Oct 05, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1465852/ask-me-questions-americastraight-talk

If you have questions about America,please click on the link above and I will try to answer them
Hear a more balanced perspective from someone who has lived in the USA many years and loving it

Ready for your questions. cool
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ladygogo: 12:33am On Oct 05, 2013
lol@ at Nigeria is not that bad. grin grin grin Dana, School of agriculture, Mubi, United nations building, kano bombings, associated airlines, the survivor walking out of a plane crash without a stretcher etc and you tell me Nigeria isnt that bad?

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 12:34am On Oct 05, 2013
alala dakosta:
Pele oooo mr IT security analyst ti ise oka lara,sey them use english swear for we nigerians ni? i've come to realise say na losers they complain bout peoples poor english compositn. pele tie,na their make u dey oooo. mr analyst to n jiya ni london. if na how legibly person write english,mr wole n chinua(God bless his soul) go be the world richest o.

I thought you said I should stop quoting you, however, how come you're stuck on quoting my posts? Basically, I expected better from someone who claims to be living large in La-La land. Faking it till you make it, yes? grin And if you're going to tell porkies next time, make sure you can measure up to the lies you're telling. Initially, I wasn't going to post a comment on the thread, but I had to call you out for your lies. You lot need to stop selling fictitious dreams to Nigerians - it's counter-productive. Most of these people leave Nigeria with the hope of making it to the top easily across the Atlantic based on some of the lies you lot spew on here, only to end up creating nuisance, making babies like dogs, engaging in crimes and scrounging for help - on the other side. Thus contributing their own destruction to the already messed up black family in diaspora and tarnishing the image of Nigeria.

No place on this planet is rosy and selling dreams to people isn't the way forward. The most important thing in life is adaptability and your ability to make something out of any environment you find yourself. There are tons of successful people in Nigeria, who're definitely more comfy than over 90% of the Nigerian pikeys wandering around the world with no caravans.

Anyway, don't worry about me. I've lived all my life here and I know how to get it out here. This is my freaking town, we built this city!

I'm out, yo!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 12:35am On Oct 05, 2013
9icegee: thts one thing nigerians dont just know. De whites folks r running from their heavy tax system to nigeria, we nigerians r singing and crying out loud to go overseers. I wonder if they ever sit down with white guys and get a good gist of how life is like in some countries overseers. I doubt hey do

Some Nigerians are thinking of "NOW" so you can't blame them
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 12:38am On Oct 05, 2013
Intelligence is hard for you I see. Masters of Law and you can't READ?

interesting

I no know book:

You are, obviously, part of those that don't make it. I'll advice you to leave for Nigeria, perhaps, u have a better chance of picking the pieces of your life over there. Nigeria is not that bad. Over here, Nigerians are big time achievers.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 12:40am On Oct 05, 2013
I no know book:

I don't have to read the whole freaking thread to know what is going on here. Someone, who is obviously not successful in the US, is trying to ascribe to Nigerians in the US the kind of life he's living. TRUST me, Nigerians in the US are very successful, relatively speaking. We have a reputation here as being very industrious and smart and at the same time fraudulent cry cry. Many Nigerians that I know of are doing real good here. I take offense when someone post that most Nigerians in the US aspire to be nurses, janitors and the rest. I know so many Nigerians that are surgeons, engineers, lawyers, professors etc and they are all very successful. If going by the very erroneous posts that I have seen here, why then are Nigerians the most educated set of immigrants in the US, bare none? Or would you rather believe that Nigerians here are in such lowly jobs (mind you nursing is a great profession here) and yet contribute the major part of over $12b that diasporans send home every year?

Please, if you are not successful, it's high time you left for Nigeria. I am successful and so are many Nigerians. US is a land of opportunity like no where in the world, hard work and determination can take you places.

Good point. I have the type of job an average American would be grateful to have. Same with several other Nigerians working with same company. These are just people I know, there are lots of Nigerians living decent lives doing great things other than being a janitor. Somewhat I'm questioning the op's claim to being in America. I refuse to believe anyone in America will make such absurd generalization.

I understand you're trying to drive home a point which I totally agree with but using false statements/justifications and pictures will not score you additional points
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Xfactoria: 12:42am On Oct 05, 2013
OjaP: You all have spoken well. I have learned one or two things from both sides. However, I would say someone who is educated here with a work permit will do well no matter what. If I am not mistaken, many Nigerians who come here for advanced degrees do well after their education. If any one is in doubt, please visit NL USA Student Visa thread. To some extent, I would say plan before coming to America, a Nigerian coming here for school will never regret his/her decision no matter what. For others who fall in other categories, I don't know.

BTW, is Seun Osewa second handle Nobody ? That username is unique and I still can't open the person's profile. Is that person enjoying a special privilege from NL? Only Seun would enjoy that probably.

Thank you jare.....a lot of the comments here, especially from the OP are exaggerated or maybe he is generalizing based on his own experience. I see that he pasted close pictures of NYC which suggests to me that he lives in NYC. Living and surviving in NYC is harder, just like living in any big city in the world. The good thing about the US is that the opportunities are spread everywhere i.e. the opportunities are not skewed to the lofty states like NY or CA alone.

I have been here for 14 months on a student visa, studying for an MBA in a top school (will graduate in May 2014) and I already have a job offer for a 6 digit annual salary. It didn't come easy and it didn't happen like that for everyone but almost all the guys who came here to study, that I know, have got something doing and they are not watching plates or parking faeces. They have decent jobs! By the way, I am in Columbus City in the state of Ohio and I have met a lot of Nigerians here in academics, medicine and engineering who are doing really well. I joined a Yoruba Club 21 group and almost everyone there have been here for more than 20 years and they have decent jobs and income. Nevertheless, there are a few who fit into the lifestyles that the OP is trying to describe. They came here for the wrong reasons - to look for riches or wealth that fall from heaven!

I think the OP did a good job trying to point out the racism and the challenges here. My take on this are the following:

1. You should define your reasons for coming here before you do. If you are coming here without the hope of first getting education or any vocational training, you might end up frustrated. It means you have to be contented with working menial jobs (even if you have a degree from a Nigerian University) and be prepared to work as many of them to keep up if you have a family to support.

2. If you are coming here to look for wealth or riches, don't bother try to apply for visas. Its harder to be rich here than in Nigeria. One thing is sure though, you are sure to be liberated from poverty if you are not lazy. So if the reason for leaving Nigeria is just to have a decent live, and you are ready to work as hard as you do in Nigeria (and more if you have a family) and be law abiding, you will have no problem.

3. Know that a lot of African Americans are lazy, be prepared to live with their hostilities. Never try to stay in their neighborhood. You will get a better deal being friends to white folks that African Americans.

Good luck to anyone who will heed these advises.

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by kaka22(m): 12:46am On Oct 05, 2013
I think that Op's topic is useful for intending migrants... From what I can deduce from the topic and all what emeka said, USA may not be as rosy as most of us thought it would be. It should be noted Emeka took cognisance of the fact that some Nigerians are succeeding in the states while others are not due to lack of preparation,focus et cetera. What caused the arguments, insults was the fact that most people did not read in between the line... Most Nigerians ordinarily don't like people telling/advising them not to do what they have planned to do or painting a picture that is different from what they have in mind... Please let's try and read in between the line. Let's also have spirit of tolerance... My own opinion

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Revolva(m): 12:53am On Oct 05, 2013
grin grin ;Dwell at least america is far more better than Nigeria....@poster pls..stop being a barrier to those that wanna travel to go see yankee.i beg i beg i beg....jare.....sey na ur money demdey use buy tiket go there
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by kidUrbane: 12:56am On Oct 05, 2013
One funny thing is that dat boy moved out of Nigeria when he was 15 and u dey talk trash..to say na around 45 u get chance to commot for naija ehn,u for dey among those wey dey give testimony about visa for church..u want to know what ghetto looks like? Come to ajegunle come and see people who are so poor they consider rice and stew a luxury.u just dey yarn poo. See graduate dey do conductor.u come dey talk about billz. Nigerians are hardworking and resolute folks..If u can survive hardship in Nigeria..America na paradise..I'm not talking about a Nigerian that left ikoyi/vi/lekki i am talking about those from places like mushin,ajegunle,ikotun,ijegun,ijedodo,ijagemo,oshodi,okokomaiko,tolu e.t.c u're just a kid wey don chop 2 much burger cum forget garri with groundnut #10 to share with siblings.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:00am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: The only antagonist is yourself and your deluded sense of compadre

. That's the problem with you. Like I said in my earlier post. I came to US when I was barely 18 years old on student visa by the grace of God and the willing assistance of my parents. I am in my mid thirties now. When I was your age , I thought I knew everything . But people much older and wiser called me to bahave. I am sure glad for that now. I am married with 3 beautiful daughters. All I am telling you is that humility will help you through your sojourn in life. Don't ever think you have Solomonic wisdom. Nobody does. I don't have anything against you personally. It's just your condescending attitude towards people that disagree with you. No animose against you on my part. I know how I was at 21, almost get kicked out of college and my student visa almost revoked. Thank God I changed because my life could have been ruined. I am not patronizing you but telling you reality of life especially this our violent society we call home. Peace and good luck to you. Wishing the best in all your undertakings in life. Once again , I have nothing against you because of my deep faith.

6 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Anyi3(m): 1:01am On Oct 05, 2013
Lucasbalo: . It's not about reading the thread. Emeka is just a guy with an inflated ego. He is proud and corky for a 21 year old who has not achieve any thing worthwhile in life. He has to be humbled, so he can navigate through life's curves. That's why he has created so many antagonists here.

peeps started attacking him he attacked back....Now he has stopped and you still say he has not achieved anything worthwhile in his life
List two things you think you have done better than him?
Oh I forgot you can't cause you don't know a thing about the dude...
Me ain't taking sides but mehn you need to cool off...
I still repeat he made some useful pointers in his first posts....

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Inoknowbook: 1:02am On Oct 05, 2013
Finally, for those of you at home, if you don't have a good job and there are no hope for you, if you have the opportunity of moving to the US, please I beg you in the name of God, grab it wholeheartedly. But one thing you have to have in mind is, it is not a bed of roses here. US is not a place for a lazy person, you must be ready to work your a.ss off. You must also be ready to pay your dues. You may have to start off with jobs you could not have considered yourself doing in Nigeria, while you are improving yourself. Education is very important, if you can, improve yourself educationally. If you are industrious, focused and determined, and move with the right people (very impt), the sky will your limit. There's no country in the world that will provide you with so many opportunities and freedom to pursue your dream as the US. You can be whatever you want to be here. That's why you see people from all over the world flocking to live in the US, even from the western world, despite the economic challenges prevalent in the US right now. It is not for nothing that it was aptly named 'God's own country'. And it's no joke!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:04am On Oct 05, 2013
Anyi.:

peeps started attacking him he attacked back....Now he has stopped and you still say he has not achieved anything worthwhile in his life
List two things you think you have done better than him?
Oh I forgot you can't cause you don't know a thing about the dude...
Me ain't taking sides but mehn you need to cool off....
I still repeat he made some useful pointers in his first posts....
. Calm down. Will get in touch with him and apologize to him.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by linearity: 1:08am On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/february/19/hospitals-demand-payment-upfront-from-er-patients.aspx

This is directly from Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest insurance carriers

Next time you go to an emergency room, be prepared for this: If your problem isn't urgent, you may have to pay upfront.

Last year, about 80,000 emergency-room patients at hospitals owned by HCA, the nation's largest for-profit hospital chain, left without treatment after being told they would have to first pay $150 because they did not have a true emergency.

Led by the Nashville-based HCA, a growing number of hospitals have implemented the pay-first policy in an effort to divert patients with routine illnesses from the ER after they undergo a federally required screening. At least half of all hospitals nationwide now charge upfront ER fees, said Rick Gundling, vice president of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, which represents health-care finance executives.

"It has been a successful part of helping to reduce crowding in emergency rooms and to encourage appropriate use of scarce resources," HCA spokesman Ed Fishbough said.

But emergency-room doctors and patient advocates blast the policy as potentially harmful to patients, and they say those with mild illnesses such as sore throats and ear infections do little to clog ERs and do not require CT scans or other pricey technologies.

Kim Bailey, research director for the consumer group Families USA, said the tactic lets hospitals turn away uninsured patients who often fail to pay their bills and are a drag on profits. While the uninsured pay upfront fees as high as $350, depending on the hospital, those with insurance pay their normal co-payment and deductible upfront.

"This is certainly a concern to us," Bailey said.

'A Real Problem'

Physicians worry that sick people will forgo treatment. There is no data on how many who leave the ER without treatment follow up with visits to doctors' offices or clinics.

"This is a real problem," said Dr. David Seaberg, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians, who estimated that 2 to 7 percent of patients screened in ERs and found not to have serious problems are admitted to hospitals within 24 hours.

"After you've done the medical screening, it makes little sense to not go ahead and write a patient a prescription," said Dr. Michael Zappa, a Boca Raton, Fla., hospital consultant and former president of the Florida College of Emergency Physicians.

Patient advocates say the strategy could discourage patients from going to the ER for true emergencies.

Dude, you do not show up at the ER over a routine problem, you go see your PCP, that is what PCP are meant for....However, if you fake an emergency, that same Hospital will admit you and screen you up to the point when they determine that, you are not an emergency and they will do it without asking for your insurance according to Government laws here.

The key to that link you posted is the underlined portion above...they must perform a federally required screening of your ailment and conclude that it is not an emergency before they will decide to turn you away and God help them if they miss diagnose you and something bad happened eventually..or it become an emergency later...They will be sued and they will pay darely for that mistake despite their policies...Also note that Hospital policies, regulations, rules, bylaws, etc does not trump the act of Congress or the law of the land period! Their policies does not have standing in the face of the law...It is the law that all Hospitals in the US must attend to people in an emergency regardless of race, ability to pay of immigration status.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DejiAdewumi: 1:14am On Oct 05, 2013
He that have Ears, Let him Listing lest he regrets...the choice is now urs

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 1:15am On Oct 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
A car washerman in Nigeria probably eats agege bread and akara everyday and does not have the luxury of eating what his mate in America eats or live where his mates elsewhere live. Some of them squat with people whilw those that are lucky live in run down face-me-i-slap-you apartment where Spyrogira is used as lawn and where diseases are distributted evenly which takes them to hospital chemist several times in a year and they could probably die before they clock 60 and you'll start hearing people saying stuff like "I hear say baba iyabo don die. And i see the man yesterday when im dey laugh. Im no be like person wey dey sick". Not knowing that poverty and frustration gave the man an ultimatum which he was unable to meet up with. Abeg, there's no basis for comparism. The poverty in Nigeria can only stop if poverty decides to retire but as long as poverty is hale and hearty, people will keep running to more advanced countries.
All the comments you posted so far from the begining of the thread made no sense to me and you tended to bend the truth at several points to support your assertion. In your own view, it is definitely easier to survive and make it in the US than in Nigeria. Is that what you are saying? Or did I not get you correctly?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:16am On Oct 05, 2013
I no know book:
Finally, for those of you at home, if you don't have a good job and there are no hope for you, if you have the opportunity of moving to the US, please I beg you in the name of God, grab it wholeheartedly. But one thing you have to have in mind is, it is not a bed of roses here. US is not a place for a lazy person, you must be ready to work your a.ss off. You must also be ready to pay your dues. You may have to start off with jobs you could not have considered yourself doing in Nigeria, while you are improving yourself. Education is very important, if you can, improve yourself educationally. If you are industrious, focused and determined, and move with the right people (very impt), the sky will your limit. There's no country in the world that will provide you with so many opportunities and freedom to pursue your dream as the US. You can be whatever you want to be here. That's why you see people from all over the world flocking to live in the US, even from the western world, despite the economic challenges prevalent in the US right now. It is not for nothing that it was aptly named 'God's own country'. And it's no joke!
. God bless you. You right on point.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by jerryben12: 1:18am On Oct 05, 2013
3. Life is toughER for Immigrants in America. From not having a SSN to get jobs, to people simply discriminating for your "accent". You will LEARN that America is not the least bit tolerant for immigrants. Especially if you come to places that are predominantly white. Unfortunately what I end up seeing Nigerians adopt is the "akata" way. A LOT of them end up trying to speak ebonics and they just sound silly and ridiculous. "nigggaz is tryna hoop yo". No. Your azz never hooped before when did you become a "niggga tryna hoop"?
---------
Not totally true. Your confidence will see you through. If you don't mix with the right people and portray yourself for who you are, you will not progress. Accent is not a ground for discrimination. Nigerians speak better than Indians but you see more Indians in Corporate America. My humble message come advise here is 'raise your confidence, mix with the right crowd, break silence and start conversations'. We are smart but we get intimidated with what we see.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 1:18am On Oct 05, 2013
I no know book:

I wish I know where u live, I would have given u a very dirty slap for painting Nigerians in the US in such manner. US is hard, I agree, but to paint a picture of a pathetic living by the so called Nigerians in order to dissuade people from coming is very disingenuous. Ol'boy, there are so many very successful Nigerians out here in the US. Talk about what you know. That you are suffering does not mean that the next Nigerian is suffering. That you see and move in the circle of poor Nigerians does not mean that every other person does. We have a reputation out here. Nigerians are seen as very smart and successful by people from other climes. Perhaps, all you see are people that are just starting and paying their dues, which is normal. If you don't want fast money, which by the way, will get in trouble quickly, you must have to pay your dues. By paying your dues, I mean taking the lowly jobs while you work yourself through school. Definitely, things will be hard for you during this period. But once you have paid your dues and you are focused and know what you are doing, you will be successful. I paid my dues when I came. I worked as a security in homeless shelter, from there, I moved to driving of taxi. While I was doing all that, I was going for my masters in law and also passed the bar exam. Right now, I may not have millions, but I'm comfortable. I don't have the kind of pathetic life u painted in your comment. I make enough money to set up industry in Nigeria and employ people.

Why did you lay so much unnecessary emphasis on mortgage? Must you buy a house? Does every Nigerian in the US own a house? Majority of people are renting and they are okay with that. Have you not seen Nigerians that have paid off their mortgages? If you have not, I have. What about cars? Do you assume that every Nigerian has a car note? If that is your assumption, then, you are very far from the truth. Many people buy their cars out-rightly. I did that for two luxury cars. Here is a place that you can buy a fairly used car for $200.00 and many people are going for such cars because they are focused and have greater goals that they are pursuing.

Please Mr. Man, if you are suffering, better return to Nigeria. There's no further need for your continued stay. But, many Nigerians, that I know of, are not. US is very tough, money doesn't grow on trees here, but the opportunities are so great and endless that, if you know what you are doing and you are focused, you will be successful. QUOTE me anywhere!

By the way, if your uncle and wife are doctors as you claim, I will guess that they are pretending to be poor so that you don't get to ask them for money, seeing how poor and defeated by the system that you are.

Word!
Told him

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (35) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / All About Banana Island Lagos State, History And Exclusive Pictures / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.