Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,677 members, 7,921,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:18 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (133254 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by imperiouxx(m): 11:22pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
grin grin you got him. This is someone that opened a thread about wanting to go to Guyana! To meet his supposed fiancee cheesy wonders shall never end.

And that nowhere Guyana too is better than the US. That's a sign of frustrated victim of US embassy Nigeria. I've been reading lots of crap here.

en! I can't buy food.... en! I can't pay rent because it is $1,500 per month which is equal to N 24,0450 in Nigeria.....dumb

And dem no fit go back Nigeria like say dem plugged dem here. If moving forward is hard, I guess going backward should be the next option.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 11:24pm On Oct 04, 2013
[quote author=nadine07][/quote]

But Fairfax County is in the City of Alexandria na? The Inova I went to was the one at Mount Vernon, I mean if you say they treated you without insurance, did you have medicare?

Where in Fairfax County are you? Are you familiar with Huntington Area close to Route 1? grin grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 04, 2013
donsax: NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....
Why don't Ya' all retrn back home ifyou think you can't cope with all these...you are there pushing it and you encourage people that wanna come to stay back home..do you know the current country situation? That's why a thread was created that people in Nigeria hate Nigerians abroad...because they think they don't want them to ever leave home...
Why not open a thread on how to survive all these hardship or how you are coping with it?
We still have many successful Nigerians in America...if all these things happening, find a way to play Americans too and survive...a poor or middle class Nigerian will survive any hardish on earth because no where can be as bad as how poor people live in Nigeria...is like someone living in an overcrowded room of like 10people in a room and goes to another place where they are 5people in the room and someone is asking can you survive this? Hell ya he can..
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?
LMAO, I just had to quote it for reference sake, wiil read it again, lwkm
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 11:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam or whichever mod, can u unban CFC? I think he got the boot.. grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Inoknowbook: 11:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: You're welcome. I found that a lot of Nigerians are living in denial. Some genuinely make silly decisions they regret 10 years later. My uncle is a Doctor and so is his wife. They are both Igbo. He migrated here and married his "naija american wife" when he met her in med school, and probably for papers. They live in one of the MOST expensive neighborhoods in NC YET, they do not have a life. His wife works from 5am to 2am the next day and she's home for about 2 hours and she's out. My uncle is burned out and keeps telling me how he wants to relocate to Nigeria. he has established a clinic in abuja and one in Lagos, he hopes to generate enough income there to MOVE. Mind you he went to a PRESTIGIOUS medical school, he and his wife. He OWNS a clinic in America, as does his wife. You would think, wow they achieved the AMERICAN dream. Yet he says all the money he makes goes to his mortgage, payroll, children's fees, and of course every Nigerian back in Nigeria ASSUMES he must be LIVING LARGE and have EXTRA MONEY every where. You know what he does PART TIME TO EARN MONEY He does things like GNLD, Mary Kay!! YES , A DOCTOR !!! FROM A VERY PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL (AN IVY). I know of Attorneys too begging people back in Nigeria to give them positions so they can MOVE BACK. They are all tired of America. My mum refuses to live here. She just comes, shops and goes back to Nigeria.

Boy was she surprised when she came here and met all the people "DOING WELL IN AMERICA". She realized they all BORROWED money to Buy their homes and were still PAYING back (with HUGE INTEREST RATES) . In America when you want to buy a house they make you borrow from the bank and give you a mortgage you pay for 30 YEARS!!!!! 30 Years! That's a nice mortgage. Can you imagine owing someone and paying for 30 years! When will that debt end? Are you not paying 10x the value of the house? And if you don't pay up they come and reclaim your house and put you OUT. Yes, MANY people are HOMELESS simply because they can't pay.

She realized people with "nice cars" you get to see on Facebook and stupidly envy ARE ALL LIVING OFF BORROWED cars. I.e they finance the cars (same method as mortgage). The NICE CLOTHES they "sent you" from America? ALL ON THEIR CREDIT CARDS. THey don't have the MONEY. They are simply BORROWING to survive and paying back penny by penny.

So when a lot of Nigerians come to America to live with their "uncle/aunty" who they THOUGHT had it GOOD (afterall the Aunty always seemed to have A LOT OF STUFF when she came to Nigeria) they realize the HARSH truth. Aunty is working as a nurse and works 3 other jobs. If you DARE turn on the tap too long she yells at you for wasting water or not paying energy(light/NEPA) bills. She is cranky and you can tell life is not the best for her. She still sends $100 back home and the people back home keep reinforcing the idea that Jane is DOING WELL in America. Not knowing Jane took off $100 from her $125/week paycheck.

Don't forget to add, that you can't even GET THE CREDIT CARD unless you have work history, SSN, a citizen. So for a new nigerian that ain't happening for the next 6 years.

I see Nigerian boys here who are janitors go to Nigeria and "FLEX" when I see pics I am shocked, because in Nigeria they POSE like they are living large. A lot of nigerian boys SAVE and BORROW to go to Nigeria just so they don't look bad.

With your "african name" you will have people ask you if you live in a hut, igf you had water to drink, and will "pity" you and give you bread because they GENUINELY believe you have never seen bread before. Sounds too exaggerated right? NO THAT IS THE TRUTH and people will SAY THIS OUT TO YOU

Open your eyes. America is not Somewhere to just HOP and COME TO. You will pay dearly for it. Sit down HAVE A PLAN OF ACTION. Take the TRUTH. Not what you saw on TV (those actors you see on tv had been acting as unknown people for 25 years before they ended up on TV: they don't tell you that part) Are you ready to sacrifice the next 10 years of your life slaving and suffering away?

If not, then my friend you are WAYYYYYYYY better off in Nigeria.

I wish I know where u live, I would have given u a very dirty slap for painting Nigerians in the US in such manner. US is hard, I agree, but to paint a picture of a pathetic living by the so called Nigerians in order to dissuade people from coming is very disingenuous. Ol'boy, there are so many very successful Nigerians out here in the US. Talk about what you know. That you are suffering does not mean that the next Nigerian is suffering. That you see and move in the circle of poor Nigerians does not mean that every other person does. We have a reputation out here. Nigerians are seen as very smart and successful by people from other climes. Perhaps, all you see are people that are just starting and paying their dues, which is normal. If you don't want fast money, which by the way, will get in trouble quickly, you must have to pay your dues. By paying your dues, I mean taking the lowly jobs while you work yourself through school. Definitely, things will be hard for you during this period. But once you have paid your dues and you are focused and know what you are doing, you will be successful. I paid my dues when I came. I worked as a security in homeless shelter, from there, I moved to driving of taxi. While I was doing all that, I was going for my masters in law and also passed the bar exam. Right now, I may not have millions, but I'm comfortable. I don't have the kind of pathetic life u painted in your comment. I make enough money to set up industry in Nigeria and employ people.

Why did you lay so much unnecessary emphasis on mortgage? Must you buy a house? Does every Nigerian in the US own a house? Majority of people are renting and they are okay with that. Have you not seen Nigerians that have paid off their mortgages? If you have not, I have. What about cars? Do you assume that every Nigerian has a car note? If that is your assumption, then, you are very far from the truth. Many people buy their cars out-rightly. I did that for two luxury cars. Here is a place that you can buy a fairly used car for $200.00 and many people are going for such cars because they are focused and have greater goals that they are pursuing.

Please Mr. Man, if you are suffering, better return to Nigeria. There's no further need for your continued stay. But, many Nigerians, that I know of, are not. US is very tough, money doesn't grow on trees here, but the opportunities are so great and endless that, if you know what you are doing and you are focused, you will be successful. QUOTE me anywhere!

By the way, if your uncle and wife are doctors as you claim, I will guess that they are pretending to be poor so that you don't get to ask them for money, seeing how poor and defeated by the system that you are.

11 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Anyi3(m): 11:29pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
grin grin you got him. This is someone that opened a thread about wanting to go to Guyana! To meet his supposed fiancee cheesy wonders shall never end.
Classic failed attempt at a joke...
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Anyi3(m): 11:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
frederal: To who it may concern:
Yes, you are an American passport holder;
You are not an immigrant;
You bought a car(cash) at 19;
You scored 600+ on SAT;
You are not fustrated;
You are 21 years;
You have all the facts about America right;
....nice qualities.
Let me add that you are a FOOL..ARROGANT....for lacking virtues like tolerance, love, forgiveness
You virtually insulted everybody that has a different perspective from yours.
I know guys like SIGA encouraging and helping people who wants to come to Canada...based on same reality: Theres better opportunity abroad.
Won't you encourage them to come, even if they don't make million, they acquire a better mentality than the one you described as "poor."

In his defense he got attacked first why won't you call his attackers too...
I however agree that OP lost his cool and shamefully took to insults....
His first posts are still valid though

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by pickabeau1: 11:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
Another thread opened by a NID...

The common denominator they share is their high sense of arrogance coupled with contempt for the 'poor' ones left behind..

The funny thing is someone paid medical bills to birth these folks n now they are better than sliced bread

Arguing that akon is not a scion of immigrants n going to haivy lig..smh

everywhere in the world you require brains, luck n drive to succeed
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Anyi3(m): 11:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
I no know book:

I wish I know where u live, I would have given u a very dirty slap for painting Nigerians in the US in such manner. US is hard, I agree, but to paint a picture of a pathetic living by the so called Nigerians in order to dissuade people from coming is very disingenuous. Ol'boy, there are so many very successful Nigerians out here in the US. Talk about what you know. That you are suffering does not mean that the next Nigerian is suffering. That you see and move in the circle of poor Nigerians does not mean that every other person does. We have a reputation out here. Nigerians are seen as very smart and successful by people from other climes. Perhaps, all you see are people that are just starting and paying their dues, which is normal. If you don't want fast money, which by the way, will get in trouble quickly, you must have to pay your dues. By paying your dues, I mean taking the lowly jobs while you work yourself through school. Definitely, things will be hard for you during this period. But once you have paid your dues and you are focused and know what you are doing, you will be successful. I paid my dues when I came. I worked as a security in homeless shelter, from there, I moved to driving of taxi. While I was doing all that, I was going for my masters in law and also passed the bar exam. Right now, I may not have millions, but I'm comfortable. I don't have the kind of pathetic life u painted in your comment. I make enough money to set up industry in Nigeria and employ people.

Why did you lay so much unnecessary emphasis on mortgage? Must you buy a house? Does every Nigerian in the US own a house? Majority of people are renting and they are okay with that. Have you not seen Nigerians that have paid off their mortgages? If you have not, I have. What about cars? Do you assume that every Nigerian has a car note? If that is your assumption, then, you are very far from the truth. Many people buy their cars out-rightly. I did that for two luxury cars. Here is a place that you can buy a fairly used car for $200.00 and many people are going for such cars because they are focused and have greater goals that they are pursuing.

Please Mr. Man, if you are suffering, better return to Nigeria. There's no further need for your continued stay. But, many Nigerians, that I know of, are not. US is very tough, money doesn't grow on trees here, but the opportunities are so great and endless that, if you know what you are doing and you are focused, you will be successful. QUOTE me anywhere!

By the way, if your uncle and wife are doctors as you claim, I will guess that they are pretending to be poor so that you don't get to ask them for money, seeing how poor and defeated by the system that you are.

you obviously didn't read the whole thread...
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by nadine07: 11:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

But Fairfax County is in the City of Alexandria na? The Inova I went to was the one at Mount Vernon, I mean if you say they treated you without insurance, did you have medicare?

Where in Fairfax County are you? Are you familiar with Huntington Area close to Route 1? grin grin grin lol Fairfax county and Alexandria are two different county, I live in ANNADALE, I know route 1 nah, Richmond highway area, go to old town Alexandria sometimes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ifebosco: 11:37pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam4eva:

Funny grin and on point response...

I've discovered that a lot of Diasporan Nigerian have a way of dissuading other from leaving Nigeria by telling them how things are not rosy as they think. Why not leave them to go find out themselves. Afterall before you traveled people told you the same thing but you travelled anyways. As far as i'm concerned, Nigerians can survive anywhere. Whether in far away Australia, Cold Canada, Racist America, secessionist Britain or skin head prone Russia or Ukraine. I have an acquaintance who when he was in Nigeria, was feeding from hand to mouth and squatting with friends. He found his way to Greece and from there hustled his way to Italy and now the guy has sent a couple of cars to his family in Nigeria to sell for him. That's something he probably couldn't have gotten in Nigeria no matter how hard he tried because he doesn't even have a secondary school cert(or so i think). So, no matter how bad those places are, they're way better than Nigeria. All these suffer head Nigerians have to do is to put half the energy they put hustling in Nigeria in those foreign country and they will live a decent life over there. People are suffering in this country and will kill to get a visa to kosovo.
so if he buy´s car his are rich??
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 11:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
The confusion between Fairfax County and City of Alexandria is just annoying... Anyway, as long as you understand my gist. Ah see you, so you know all these places... Well I lived in Fairfax County off Rte 1 for abt 6yrs, and then Arlington (temporary) and now, I moving to MD in abt two months.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 11:47pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: Let not fool ourself even if u hold an america green card or citizenship u will still be reffered to as a second class citizen ur accent doesn't even qualify u to a be a first class citizen if u like speak ur english wit ur nose jst like hw most of u guys do over here dat still doesn't make them see u as part of them that discrimination still exist and will always be they dat jst the fact!
Depends in New York and Cali the ones without accent are in the minority wink
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by nadine07: 11:47pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life: The confusion between Fairfax County and City of Alexandria is just annoying... Anyway, as long as you understand my gist. Ah see you, so you know all these places... Well I lived in Fairfax County off Rte 1 for abt 6yrs, and then Arlington (temporary) and now, I moving to MD in abt two months.

hahahaha why are running to MD..........
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life: The confusion between Fairfax County and City of Alexandria is just annoying... Anyway, as long as you understand my gist. Ah see you, so you know all these places... Well I lived in Fairfax County off Rte 1 for abt 6yrs, and then Arlington (temporary) and now, I moving to MD in abt two months.
Why are you moving up and down ? I thought you mentioned you were moving back to Lekki.

Nnah na wa o
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
At least in my opinion,this goes to show the OP that he's wrong in saying Nigeria is better then US in living standard.

Which 19 year old in Nigeria can afford a car from hard work?. Except thru rich parents or maybe if he's a star like wizkid

Anyway I do get all that OP is saying.and while he makes a lot of sense mostly

In other areas too,I think his judgment is flawed.

No one can compare Nigeria to u.s in real terms

A doctor here and a doctor there

A builder here and a builder there

A nurse here and a nurse there.the list goes on.

There,standards are way better and I'm not surprised everyone is praying for a visa to U.S

Let's not even get started on security issues
Or emergency help.

U go die for road accident before ambulance go reach u.(If it comes even)
Ur house will burn to rubbles before fire service go show face

Robbers will wipe out your entire generation before police go show face

Abeg OP no compare o.

Nigeria is no man's land.
Walahi.

If I enter boko haram and jungle justice issues here now,I might just break into tears

Pls someone anyone get me a visa cry

You scored 600+ on SAT;
You are not fustrated;
You are 21 years;
....nice qualities.
Let me add that you are a FOOL..ARROGANT....for lacking virtues like tolerance, love, forgiveness
I know guys like SIGA encouraging and helping people who wants to come to Canada...based on same reality: Theres better opportunity abroad.
Won't you encourage them to come, even if they don't make million, they acquire a better mentality than the one you described as "poor."

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by OjaP: 11:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
You all have spoken well. I have learned one or two things from both sides. However, I would say someone who is educated here with a work permit will do well no matter what. If I am not mistaken, many Nigerians who come here for advanced degrees do well after their education. If any one is in doubt, please visit NL USA Student Visa thread. To some extent, I would say plan before coming to America, a Nigerian coming here for school will never regret his/her decision no matter what. For others who fall in other categories, I don't know.

BTW, is Seun Osewa second handle Nobody ? That username is unique and I still can't open the person's profile. Is that person enjoying a special privilege from NL? Only Seun would enjoy that probably.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 11:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
nadine07:
hahahaha why are running to MD..........

Been lived in VA for a long time, and then, the fukerz jacked up my rent. GOD PUNISH THEM. In 2010, rent increased by $80/month, in 2011 it increased by $60/month, 2012, they increased by $5 to $65/month and in 2013, it went up to $75/month. Haba, na wetin na... My rent for my 2br was becoming expensive, and then electricity was just outrageous. Dominion increased bill by almost 2cent/kw, translate that to about 900kw on average used monthly, that about $18, now add other charges like transmission charges, Right of Way charges, Taxes etc. It was like almost $25 increase on average. Then Cox Cable bill went up, my Advanced TV Package deal ran out, increased by almost $45monthly for both internet and cable. The day I called in after looking @ my bill, I swore for them that.

Sis, VA is not consumer protective at all, this is a fvcking republican state, so I made a decision to move to MD. A friend told me that rent increase is no more than $21/month and it has to be every two years. I can deal with that, although I was doing shakara that I don't want to live there, but seeing how things are taking shape, it's time to readjust.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 11:58pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire: Why are you moving up and down ? I thought you mentioned you were moving back to Lekki.

Nnah na wa o

Lol, I need a place to stay regardless... I'm not moving to Lekki now na.

When I come to U.S., I need a place to stay...
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 11:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
Thanks. Glad to know we have functioning heads in Nigeria.

Even with BOLD types , it still passes by. I wonder how.

chronique: @ op: I have read a lot of your posts and would love to commend you for a good job done in enlightening those who have the mental capacity to decipher all you've written here. A lot of nairalanders lack the ability to reason effectively and argue logically;they argue mostly,based on sentiments and emotions. Most do not take time to read and understand(what we call comprehension),before they start typing/replying. So many times on NL,I've read comments that depict a different thing from what the original poster wrote on the thread and at such instances,I end up going back to re-read the thread to make sure I'm not the one who didn't read it well. I would advice you not to waste too much time arguing with people. Those who are intelligent enough,will pick what they need from the thread and would appreciate it. Understand perfectly that not everyone would understand what you're doing. Afterall,in school,when a teacher teaches a class and sets exam,not all the students end up passing.

@ those calling him names and criticising him: all I beg of you guys,is that you slowly go back to re-read his first post and pay attention to the sub-headers written bodly.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Inoknowbook: 12:01am On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life: Btw, this is for those who went to emergency room and they deemed their case wasn't urgent...Now go figure.

I still maintain some hospitals require insurance before they treat you or they request for upfront payment.

INOVA HOSPITAL here in VA WILL NOT treat you unless you have insurance, even in some emergency case.

Ol'boy, no hospital will turn u back in emergencies, that I know for sure. Even after the emergency treatment, and u require further treatment, if u don't have the money, there's what they call charity in various hospitals. Stopping using exceptional circumstance to buttress your argument. There are thousands of hospitals in the US and 99% won't turn you back in an emergency. It is a system set up by the various state government wherein indigent patients are treated for free and the bill paid by the government, after they must have verified that u are actually indigent. And why would you even not have insurance in the first instance, when there is medicaid for people not earning enough money? Except you make above a certain amount that makes u ineligible for medicaid, it is there for u.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by InvertedHammer: 12:01am On Oct 05, 2013
/
USA is so bad for Nigerians that if you go to US embassy in Nigeria you will never find a single soul waiting to get
visa to USA

Denial they say,is not a river in Africa. If Nigeria alone is as good as just Texas or California (each being a State in USA), then
Nigeria is the shiznit.

Even the much touted Abuja is like a city designed by a raging alcoholic.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 12:03am On Oct 05, 2013
I no know book:

Ol'boy, no hospital will turn u back in emergencies, that I know for sure. Even after the emergency treatment, and u require further treatment, if u don't have the money, there's what they call charity in various hospitals. Stopping using exceptional circumstance to buttress your argument. There are thousands of hospitals in the US and 99% won't turn you back in an emergency. It is a system set up by the various state government wherein indigent patients are treated for free and the bill paid by the government, after they must have verified that u are actually indigent. And why would you even not have insurance in the first instance, when there is medicaid for people not earning enough money? Except you make above a certain amount that makes u ineligible for medicaid, it is there for u.

Here we go again, did you not read the report I put up there? Abeg, I take GOD beg una, leave me alone o. The report clearly says, according to one hospital chain, more than 80,000 were turned away from the ER, what does ER stand for? Is it only when you're brought in Ambulance, that's when you know that it's an emergency? Abeg o, leave me alone... Biko nu
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 12:04am On Oct 05, 2013
Anyi.:

you obviously didn't read the whole thread...
. It's not about reading the thread. Emeka is just a guy with an inflated ego. He is proud and corky for a 21 year old who has not achieve any thing worthwhile in life. He has to be humbled, so he can navigate through life's curves. That's why he has created so many antagonists here.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by nadine07: 12:05am On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

Been lived in VA for a long time, and then, the fukerz jacked up my rent. GOD PUNISH THEM. In 2010, rent increased by $80/month, in 2011 it increased by $60/month, 2012, they increased by $5 to $65/month and in 2013, it went up to $75/month. Haba, na wetin na... My rent for my 2br was becoming expensive, and then electricity was just outrageous. Dominion increased bill by almost 2cent/kw, translate that to about 900kw on average used monthly, that about $18, now add other charges like transmission charges, Right of Way charges, Taxes etc. It was like almost $25 increase on average. Then Cox Cable bill went up, my Advanced TV Package deal ran out, increased by almost $45monthly for both internet and cable. The day I called in after looking @ my bill, I swore for them that.

Sis, VA is not consumer protective at all, this is a fvcking republican state, so I made a decision to move to MD. A friend told me that rent increase is no more than $21/month and it has to be every two years. I can deal with that, although I was doing shakara that I don't want to live there, but seeing how things are taking shape, it's time to readjust.
VA is too expensive, but am so used to the place that I cant move, am stuck here ohhhhhhhh,
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by shalomblue: 12:06am On Oct 05, 2013
Nice thread.If you can make it to the middle/upper class in Nigeria,then obviously no need to run to America,but if you fall within the majority that graduated 2-5 years ago without a job,then moving to America is such a good option.For the OP,at 21 u still have a lot to learn,stop being a fool
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 12:10am On Oct 05, 2013
I never intended to discourage anyone. It was bemusing that some folks automatically thought I was
1. An immigrant who had it bad (of course if you don't support A you must be with B - why can't I not support wrong even if "my own" is involved)
2. Hating on america
3/ Bashing America
4. Discouraging them from coming to America
5. Not wanting others to experience america

When clearly I had ALL those issues addressed on Page 1, this is almost page 20 and some people have still not read page 1.

So there, show "support" and love for someone who already thinks I am out to keep him from getting on a plane/ship?

Nah
You scored 600+ on SAT;
You are not fustrated;
You are 21 years;
....nice qualities.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 12:10am On Oct 05, 2013
nadine07: VA is too expensive, but am so used to the place that I cant move, am stuck here ohhhhhhhh,

I said the same thing, but when shit hits the fan, I had to unstuck myself... I love VA and will like to stay here while I continue my plans, but as it is, spending extra $250 monthly or an income that hasn't seen increase in 3years is not financially wise. Our people say "ejigho akpata etufuo aba ogalanya (you can't be wealthy by throwing away), so it's a tough decision but that's my own decision.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 12:10am On Oct 05, 2013
InvertedHammer: /
USA is so bad for Nigerians that if you go to US embassy in Nigeria you will never find a single soul waiting to get
visa to USA

Denial they say,is not a river in Africa. If Nigeria alone is as good as just Texas or California (each being a State in USA), then
Nigeria is the shiznit.

Even the much touted Abuja is like a city designed by a raging alcoholic.

Nnah Wetin we do you naw. Make all of us carry Ghana-must-go enter EMERIKA?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by highlandre(m): 12:10am On Oct 05, 2013
donsax: NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....
Why don't Ya' all retrn back home ifyou think you can't cope with all these...you are there pushing it and you encourage people that wanna come to stay back home..do you know the current country situation? That's why a thread was created that people in Nigeria hate Nigerians abroad...because they think they don't want them to ever leave home...
Why not open a thread on how to survive all these hardship or how you are coping with it?
We still have many successful Nigerians in America...if all these things happening, find a way to play Americans too and survive...a poor or middle class Nigerian will survive any hardish on earth because no where can be as bad as how poor people live in Nigeria...is like someone living in an overcrowded room of like 10people in a room and goes to another place where they are 5people in the room and someone is asking can you survive this? Hell ya he can..
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?

God bless you
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 12:11am On Oct 05, 2013
Smh stalker.

I did not quote you on that did I, you love attention I see

Lucasbalo: . You are still hyperventilating over me. I must have struck some nerves in you. I live in Oak Park. Anyone from chitown will no that. Go get a life Bambino.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (35) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / All About Banana Island Lagos State, History And Exclusive Pictures / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.