Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,573 members, 7,978,904 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:35 PM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (134183 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
Here's my take on this
I feel like the op made some very good point about life in America as an immigrant however, a lot of these points were definitely over exaggerated.

Yes, life it tough being a black person, an African immigrant at that but based on your comparisons, would you rather pick the average life of a Nigerian or that of an American? Well this will depend on what's average in that sense but we all know, to live the average life in Nigeria, you have to basically become your own government, which is very different from the average life of an immigrant in America.

Migrating to the US is a decision an intending immigrant has to ponder thoroughly. Yes, life in America be hard initially but there's potential for it to get better which is where foresight and planning comes into place.

The American society is enabling enough to make you comfortable, which to me is what's on every immigrants lip. However to become rich, you have to work extra hard, be specially talented, gifted, lucky and several other factors but the main thing is that, it is possible.

Is it possible to make it in Nigeria? Of course it is. We have so many people who are living very good lives in Nigeria. Does that mean it's easy? NO, it's never easy even in Nigeria. In the end, I feel like go wherever you find the opportunity of a better life, America has everything you need to be make it compared to Nigeria, but that doesn't mean every immigrant will make it. Same way, not every Nigeria will be successful/unsuccessful

4 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: All I'm saying is, with an income like that the priority (IMO) should not be owning an array of cars. No wonder he has that big tax slap.
How many cars do you think Zuckerberg owns?

Now it seems like you're talking out of your a$$ no offense, how many cars does Zukerberg own? Since you know the answer na, tell us. That you have two cars, I'm still lost on what the correlation is?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 10:07pm On Oct 04, 2013
U guys should let me hear word abeg if small boys of yesterday are telling history of america if u want to go to america go if u want to stay in nigeria stay dat ur headache I don't see how all dis issue bring down the price of garri in the market or enable ASUU call of they strike or bring bck the striking doctors bck to work who re on strike or rather wake up agagu fr is grave and dose that lost dey lives during the aircraft accident abeg make I hear word jare america do dis and dat Bleep america abeg!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:07pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire: With SO MUCH investment opportunities opening up in NIGERIA, no well-informed NIGERIAN SHOULD migrate to a country laden with Debts and SHUTDOWN economy.

People see problems in NIGERIA, I see Opportunities and a Tax Heaven.

Every kobo I make is MINE!
Same dude that was arrested for impersonating Sunny Odogwu son while defrauding a car rental company is chipping out advise? grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by jairusben(m): 10:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
Life in us is never easy.. I remember when i could not pay common light bills.. I did squat with friends wen i got complaints from the house owner... Like the joy was that i recided in texas, austin precisely wich has almost ¹/⁴ of its inhabitants as nigerians... They help me a lot.. My advice for u going there is that the first tin too come on ur mind is dat the cost of living is very high and u reside in an environment were u got blacks also as majority..
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
Op also needs to stop making some generalizations some of which are disrespectful to hardworking Nigerians in America. The fact that I work as a cleaner doesn't mean I'm not successful, a lot of these guys have enough to last them their lifetime and kids granted it's not the best of jobs.

Also there are hardworking Nigerians doing big things. I have Nigerians working at my company as engineers, lab scientists and IT analysts.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire: With SO MUCH investment opportunities opening up in NIGERIA, no well-informed NIGERIAN SHOULD migrate to a country laden with Debts and SHUTDOWN economy.

Except if u live in Lagos. The LIRS will come after you grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz: A homeless man in the USA will receive same treatment in the Hospital as GEJ when he falls sick. Unlike in Nigeria a cash strapped poor man is left to die in a government hospital. The OP is a crab in a basket, he is discouraging others from coming to the United States from the comfort of his mums basement grin grin

Big fat lie, perhaps you haven't heard of the stories of folks who don't have access to hospitals even in emergencies. Why do you think Obamacare stepped in to give insurance to folks without it? You guess is good, so that to help people without it, because when u go to the hospital, before any doctor sees you, you must have "PROOF OF INSURANCE" or some hospitals will ask for a deposit. Please stay informed jor, I hate when people like you say incorrect stuff that isn't true.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by born2boink(m): 10:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
Do people still go to america?

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ladygogo: 10:11pm On Oct 04, 2013
@Op. Did your eyes just clear? America is a third world country compared to the other first world countries on the list. I honestly do not know how people survive in that country. Absolutely zero social safety net.

No statutory maternity leave
No statutory vacation(its up to the corp to grant you one)
Credit checks to get a job, auto insurance(seriously?)
NO Universal healthcare(pray you dont get sick oh)
expensive medications and hospitals.
and much more.

Welcome to the LAnd of the free and home of the NRA!(Guns)

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz:
Same dude that was arrested for impersonating Sunny Odogwu son while defrauding a car rental company is chipping out advise? grin grin
Which guy is that ? LOL
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Bimpss(f): 10:13pm On Oct 04, 2013
This thread has me rolling!!! I am dying of laughter by just reading the first page. [size=15pt]So fking true![/size] grin grin

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:13pm On Oct 04, 2013
lady gogo: @Op. Did your eyes just clear? America is a third world country compared to the other first world countries on the list. I honestly do not know how people survive in that country. Absolutely zero social safety net.

and much more.

Don't mind @bootlegz who's yarning a poor man can go to the same hospital as GEJ, who dash that poor man? He/she forgets that's why medicare is there, if not for that, lots of folks will get hit very hard, and it still happens till date.

INOVA Hospital here in VA where I live will not blink an eye if you don't have an INSURANCE. I said it, go look it up.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2013
lady gogo: @Op. Did your eyes just clear? America is a third world country compared to the other first world countries on the list. I honestly do not know how people survive in that country. Absolutely zero social safety net.

and much more.

Some of the points you made are true to an extent but mostly depend on the job. I agree the healthcare system is probably one of the worst, if not the worst in the West
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 04, 2013
CFCfan:

Except if u live in Lagos. The LIRS will come after you grin
I live in VI, I bribe them and the rest is history. This is not New York.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:15pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

Some of the points you made are true to an extent but mostly depends on the job. I agree the healthcare system is probably one of the worst, if not the worst in the West

Other than the maternity leave which is incorrect though (a pregnant lady qualifies for leave under FMLA), all others are TRUE.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Big fat lie, perhaps you haven't heard of the stories of folks who don't have access to hospitals even in emergencies. Why do you think Obamacare stepped in to give insurance to folks without it? You guess is good, so that to help people without it, because when u go to the hospital, before any doctor sees you, you must have "PROOF OF INSURANCE" or some hospitals will ask for a deposit. Please stay informed jor, I hate when people like you say incorrect stuff that isn't true.
You live in America yet you dont know that homeless American's emergency health coverage are covered by tax payers? Do u understand how medicaid works? Why are Anericans complaning about illegal mexicans getting free health care in ER? You are clueless bro
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:17pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire: I live in VI, I bribe them and the rest is history. This is not New York.

I don't get you, so you bribe your way out of paying taxes yet you complain about the terrible state the country is in. How's Nigeria supposed to be better when people have your mindset? Now some are complaining about paying taxes in the US yet they want to have a good road, constant electricity et al, what gives? Come on people

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:18pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Other than the maternity leave which is incorrect though (a pregnant lady qualifies for leave under FMLA), all others are TRUE.

This is wrong
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 10:18pm On Oct 04, 2013
Very soon do u guys belive dat our naira is Going to appreciate morethan the dollar unlike during the 70 wen naira was morthan dollar then u don't need a visa to go to america that time people were comfortable bck home in nigeria.let jst be hopeful by then america will be beggin us to come and get they visa for free.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:19pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz:
You live in America yet you dont know that homeless Americans emergency health coverage are covered by tax payers? Do u understand how medicaid works? Why are Anericans complaning about illegal mexicans getting free health care in ER? You are clueless bro

Clap for yourself, medicaid is for the elderly while medicare is for the poor or whichever, meanwhile I addressed that in the other post. If this was the case, more than 30million Americans who don't have access to healthcare, why was it a good pitch for Obamacare?

Americans are complaining because they want to complain, states like VA does not give healthcare to Immigrants...PERIOD.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:19pm On Oct 04, 2013

and much more.

Yet Nigerian celebrity sneak in their at night with their 6months visa to go and deliver their babies grin grin
Hypocrisy at its best
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 10:19pm On Oct 04, 2013
Wallie:

This is what the OP failed to realize! Some Nigerians are doing extremely well and some are not that great but on average, a Nigerian in the US legally will have a better quality of life than the average Nigerian in Nigeria.
This is undisputed the Average Nigerian would love the basic amenities such as running water and electricity 24 hours a day. The Ghetto's of America are still better then most towns in 9ja and if you are at the bottom and just wanna be a lazy bum you will get free food, medical and even free money. But the average immigrant does not get that type of help that a born in America individual will obtain. So the point is that you must come prepared, especially lottery winners or those that come with Visa and stay illegally, life will be difficult. But if you are able to afford a college education which is between $12,000- $60,000, a year depending on living arrangements and courses, remember only citizens can receive Financial Aid and grants, well life is simpler indeed. Yet and still I look forward to moving back to 9ja final where I am living a super life not an average existence, to each their own wink
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 04, 2013
Gods Bless the OP. Why do Nigerians always want to chicken out and run to Obodo Oyibo for easy life ? WHO is going to remain here and build the country ?

I pray that you guys receive the treatments you get from the white supremacists. Stay in your country and make it work!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Clap for yourself, medicaid is for the elderly while medicare is for the poor or whichever, meanwhile I addressed that in the other post. If this was the case, more than 30million Americans who don't have access to healthcare, why was it a good pitch for Obamacare?

Americans are complaining because they want to complain, states like VA does not give healthcare to Immigrants...PERIOD.
Why using Virginia to base your argument? Do some research before jumping into conclusion
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by imperiouxx(m): 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
Me Zombie ke? grin I dey Ajegunle dey enjoy canal breeze oo! Cos na wetin my guy talk. I no follow you dey land of the dead oo cheesy

I no dey zombie country too ooo, may be na only em no the land of the living dead.....lolz

He such a funny Nigerian with typical Nigerian mentality. grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chronique(m): 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
@ op: I have read a lot of your posts and would love to commend you for a good job done in enlightening those who have the mental capacity to decipher all you've written here. A lot of nairalanders lack the ability to reason effectively and argue logically;they argue mostly,based on sentiments and emotions. Most do not take time to read and understand(what we call comprehension),before they start typing/replying. So many times on NL,I've read comments that depict a different thing from what the original poster wrote on the thread and at such instances,I end up going back to re-read the thread to make sure I'm not the one who didn't read it well. I would advice you not to waste too much time arguing with people. Those who are intelligent enough,will pick what they need from the thread and would appreciate it. Understand perfectly that not everyone would understand what you're doing. Afterall,in school,when a teacher teaches a class and sets exam,not all the students end up passing.

@ those calling him names and criticising him: all I beg of you guys,is that you slowly go back to re-read his first post and pay attention to the sub-headers written bodly.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

This is wrong

Yes, credit checks to get a job and insurance.

I have been credit checked for a job AND insurance (GEICO and PROGRESSIVE) to be precise.

If you work in Banking, Defense, Govt, etc... Credit Check is a MUST, not an option.

Those who work in govt or govt contractors for instance and require security clearance need to undergo checks including credit check.

Btw I'm not saying this because I just want to talk, I'm saying it because I've been part of the process.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 10:22pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

I don't get you, so you bribe your way out of paying taxes yet you complain about the terrible state the country is in. How's Nigeria supposed to be better when people have your mindset? Now some are complaining about paying taxes in the US yet they want to have a good road, constant electricity et al, what gives? Come on people
some dude are just funny how would u live in america were u have good roads,steady eletricity etc and u don't want to tax to be deducted fr ur salary that not possible the america u see today was made dat way cos of the tax u complaining u don't want to pay kk
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:23pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz:
Why using Virginia to base your argument? Do some research before jumping into conclusion

You made a false allusion that a poor man can go to same hospital like GEJ, you generalized, I used my state to correct that. Most Republican states DO NOT provide healthcare to immigrants... FACT. Some DO NOT provide healthcare to unprivileged people... FACT.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by orgasticdance: 10:23pm On Oct 04, 2013

typical naija big mans arrogance. the poor kid in a run down primary school in lafia doesnt know this and wont know this when he is 30. there are many schools like the aforementioned dotted around the landscape. no society is absolutely fair. but if ur born into the wrong circumstances in this one, ur sure as hell ending up the way u came in. social mobility in the u.s.a is almost guaranteed if u r willing to put in the work. how many unborn potential billioanires will take naija over america?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:23pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire: Gods Bless the OP. Why do Nigerians always want to chicken out and run to Obodo Oyibo for easy life ? WHO is going to remain here and build the country ?

I pray that you guys receive the treatments you get from the white supremacists. Stay in your country and make it work!
Fraudster with a mugshot that nade him look like black santa clause is giving advise also? LMAO
That period your story leaked, you were gone missing on NL grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (35) (Reply)

All About Banana Island Lagos State, History And Exclusive Pictures / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.