Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,677 members, 7,921,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:16 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (133252 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:25pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Yes, credit checks to get a job and insurance.

I have been credit checked for a job AND insurance (GEICO and PROGRESSIVE) to be precise.

If you work in Banking, Defense, Govt, etc... Credit Check is a MUST, not an option.

Those who work in govt or govt contractors for instance and require security clearance need to undergo checks including credit check.

Well there you go, some jobs require it based on what you have to deal with, but a lot of time, other than going the direction of the financial fields, the credit check is to make sure you haven't had past dealings with something similar to the job. A lot of jobs DO NOT a require credit check
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire: I live in VI, I bribe them and the rest is history. This is not New York.

Naija billionaire no dey dull grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:27pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

You made a false allusion that a poor man can go to same hospital like GEJ, you generalized, I used my state to correct that. Most Republican states DO NOT provide healthcare to immigrants... FACT. Some DO NOT provide healthcare to unprivileged people... FACT.
I can't speak for a republican state but California. County hospital and also for profit hospital give treatment to illegal aliens and poor then send the bill to the government. Nigerians with no papers get treatment without footing a bill also. I know of this cos my wife works as a nurse.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 10:28pm On Oct 04, 2013
Let not fool ourself even if u hold an america green card or citizenship u will still be reffered to as a second class citizen ur accent doesn't even qualify u to a be a first class citizen if u like speak ur english wit ur nose jst like hw most of u guys do over here dat still doesn't make them see u as part of them that discrimination still exist and will always be they dat jst the fact!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 04, 2013
lady gogo: @Op. Did your eyes just clear? America is a third world country compared to the other first world countries on the list. I honestly do not know how people survive in that country. Absolutely zero social safety net.

No statutory maternity leave
No statutory vacation(its up to the corp to grant you one)
Credit checks to get a job, auto insurance(seriously?)
NO Universal healthcare(pray you dont get sick oh)
expensive medications and hospitals.
and much more.

Welcome to the LAnd of the free and home of the NRA!(Guns)

You forgot to add credit checks to get a mortgage.
The bolded situation has made the likes of India and South Africa to be doyens of the medical tourism industry. A plastic surgical procedure that would cost around $15,000-$20,000 would cost less than $5,000 in a top South African hospital. The same can be said for India.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by linearity: 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Big fat lie, perhaps you haven't heard of the stories of folks who don't have access to hospitals even in emergencies. Why do you think Obamacare stepped in to give insurance to folks without it? You guess is good, so that to help people without it, because when u go to the hospital, before any doctor sees you, you must have "PROOF OF INSURANCE" or some hospitals will ask for a deposit. Please stay informed jor, I hate when people like you say incorrect stuff that isn't true.
FALSE!

The ACA was actually passed to offload the emergency room. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) of 1986, requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay and there are no reimbursement provisions.

I think you are the one who is less informed. The only place where you are required to present proof of insurance before anything is at your Primary Care Physician (PCP) office, Dentist, Eye Doctor Office and other Non Essential medical checkups.

If you have an emergency, you will be treated at the emergency room in the US, else you can sue the living day light out of that Hospital and they will beg you to settle the matter in order to prevent it from coming to trial.

Here...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/10/health/10grady.html?_r=3&scp=9&sq=Atlanta&st=cse&

An Atlanta Hospital reached an agreement to continue to treat illegal immigrate for free and they will even treat one of the illegal immigrate who have left the US, if she can manage to re-enter the US illegally.

There is another case in Miami, where an illegal immigrate on treatment in an Hospital, which he was not paying for, the Hospital had to arrange Plane tickets and care for him at his home Country and relocated him there...

Medicaid pays these Hospitals directly to helps to defray some of these Hospital bills for the very pool and for illegal immigrates....but in most cases the Hospitals take a lost and some Charities also step in to defray some cost.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2013
chiboy1928: Let not fool ourself even if u hold an america green card or citizenship u will still be reffered to as a second class citizen ur accent doesn't even qualify u to a be a first class citizen if u like speak ur english wit ur nose jst like hw most of u guys do over here dat still doesn't make them see u as part of them that discrimination still exist and will always be they dat jst the fact!
In America your degree matters and not your accent or color. Forget about the market women gossip ypu hear from loosers

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

Well there you go, some jobs require it based on what you have to deal with, but a lot of time, other than going the direction of the financial fields, the credit check is to make sure you haven't had past dealings with something similar to the job. A lot of jobs DO NOT a require credit check

Huh? Are you talking about a background check? A credit check is a risk assessment. Someone with a low score posses a high potential risk depending on what's on their credit.

A credit check depending on what type of pull, if it's a soft pull just to verify information, some jobs do it. However, if it's a hard pull where they analyze details of your records. I know for sure that financial jobs particularly those in Investment, Retail and Commercial banking/lending, Mortgage, etc and govt (requiring security clearance) require a credit check.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
linearity:
FALSE!

The ACA was actually passed to offload the emergency room. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) of 1986, requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay and there are no reimbursement provisions.

I think you are the one who is less informed. The only place where you are required to present proof of insurance before anything is at your Primary Care Physician (PCP) office, Dentist, Eye Doctor Office and other Non Essential medical checkups.

If you have an emergency, you will be treated at the emergency room in the US, else you can sue the living day light out of that Hospital and they will beg you to settle the matter in order to prevent it from coming to trial.

Here...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/10/health/10grady.html?_r=3&scp=9&sq=Atlanta&st=cse&

An Atlanta Hospital reached an agreement to continue to treat illegal immigrate for free and they will even treat one of the illegal immigrate who have left the US, if she can manage to re-enter the US illegally.

There is another case in Miami, where an illegal immigrate on treatment in an Hospital, which he was not paying for, the Hospital had to arrange Plane tickets and care for him at his home Country and relocated him there...

Medicaid Helps to defray some of these Hospital bills for the very pool and for illegal immigrates...
I have no timw to debate with a guy that has memory lapses. Thanks for educating him

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:33pm On Oct 04, 2013
bootlegaz:
I can't speak for a republican state but California. County hospital and also for profit hospital give treatment to illegal aliens and poor then send the bill to the government. Nigerians with no papers get treatment without footing a bill also. I know of this cos my wife works as a nurse.

Again, like I told you, INOVA Hospital out here in VA will not attend to you unless you have proof of insurance... SIMPLE CASE CLOSED.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by imperiouxx(m): 10:36pm On Oct 04, 2013
If any legal Nigerian US resident complains bitterly about the US, then I won't dispute the fact that the person is a born lazy and a bloody ingrate.

Let such person be replaced by a grateful person from Nigeria.

What a dumb thread for attention seekers?!

I live here, I live there, I pay this, I pay that, I pay tax..... hmmm! Don't pay or you pay in Naira because it's cheaper in Nigeria considering the exchange rate. Shiiior!

6 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:36pm On Oct 04, 2013
My advice is Come to America ONLY if you have the opportunity and you can't afford the life of a middle class/upper class in Nigeria.

Anything outside of that means that you'll be gambling and it can go either way.

It's usually not advisable to migrate to anywhere once you're above certain age anyway. I'd say less than 25 and unmarried/without kids. Anything other than that is a huge gamble.

Not saying you'll or won't make it if you fall in any category, it just means that you have a better/slimmer chance. Heck, life is all about taking risks anyways so come if you feel you have nothing to lose except your dignity and maybe your wife/kids if you fail grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:36pm On Oct 04, 2013
linearity:
FALSE!

Medicaid pays these Hospitals directly to helps to defray some of these Hospital bills for the very pool and for illegal immigrates....but in most cases the Hospitals take a lost and some Charities also step in to defray some cost.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/february/19/hospitals-demand-payment-upfront-from-er-patients.aspx

This is directly from Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest insurance carriers

Next time you go to an emergency room, be prepared for this: If your problem isn't urgent, you may have to pay upfront.

Last year, about 80,000 emergency-room patients at hospitals owned by HCA, the nation's largest for-profit hospital chain, left without treatment after being told they would have to first pay $150 because they did not have a true emergency.

[size=16pt]Led by the Nashville-based HCA, a growing number of hospitals have implemented the pay-first policy in an effort to divert patients with routine illnesses from the ER after they undergo a federally required screening. At least half of all hospitals nationwide now charge upfront ER fees, said Rick Gundling, vice president of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, which represents health-care finance executives.[/size]

"It has been a successful part of helping to reduce crowding in emergency rooms and to encourage appropriate use of scarce resources," HCA spokesman Ed Fishbough said.

But emergency-room doctors and patient advocates blast the policy as potentially harmful to patients, and they say those with mild illnesses such as sore throats and ear infections do little to clog ERs and do not require CT scans or other pricey technologies.

Kim Bailey, research director for the consumer group Families USA, said the tactic lets hospitals turn away uninsured patients who often fail to pay their bills and are a drag on profits. While the uninsured pay upfront fees as high as $350, depending on the hospital, those with insurance pay their normal co-payment and deductible upfront.

"This is certainly a concern to us," Bailey said.

'A Real Problem'

Physicians worry that sick people will forgo treatment. There is no data on how many who leave the ER without treatment follow up with visits to doctors' offices or clinics.

"This is a real problem," said Dr. David Seaberg, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians, who estimated that 2 to 7 percent of patients screened in ERs and found not to have serious problems are admitted to hospitals within 24 hours.

"After you've done the medical screening, it makes little sense to not go ahead and write a patient a prescription," said Dr. Michael Zappa, a Boca Raton, Fla., hospital consultant and former president of the Florida College of Emergency Physicians.

Patient advocates say the strategy could discourage patients from going to the ER for true emergencies.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Kenechy: 10:36pm On Oct 04, 2013
I Enjoy Killing those God Asks Me To Kill Like Chickens – Abubakar Shekau.

Like this page for more gist & info....
https://www.facebook.com/newsinfok
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
Btw, this is for those who went to emergency room and they deemed their case wasn't urgent...Now go figure.

I still maintain some hospitals require insurance before they treat you or they request for upfront payment.

INOVA HOSPITAL here in VA WILL NOT treat you unless you have insurance, even in some emergency case.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:39pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Huh? Are you talking about a background check? A credit check is a risk assessment. Someone with a low score posses a high potential risk depending on what's on their credit.

A credit check depending on what type of pull, if it's a soft pull just to verify information, some jobs do it. However, if it's a hard pull where they analyze details of your records. I know for sure that financial jobs particularly those in Investment, Retail and Commercial banking/lending, Mortgage, etc and govt (requiring security clearance) require a credit check.

I know about credit checks and all that and what I meant was exactly what you quoted. It seems we're saying the same thing, you get those if you going towards the financial side of things mostly. Even for government jobs, it's usually federal government and maybe some very sensitive side of state government. I'm saying this based on experience, I've worked with DHS at the State level and I never had my credit checked soft or hard pull. I currently work at a classified level in a volatile field and I needed security clearance for some things.

The point is that, it applies to some jobs BUT not all jobs. You can get a lot of jobs by doing neither
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2013
imperiouxx:

I no dey zombie country too ooo, may be na only em no the land of the living dead.....lolz

He such a funny Nigerian with typical Nigerian mentality. grin
The guy na clown. Simple sentence, he can't string together. Running Helter skelter, saying non.sense. Shior. cheesy
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

I don't get you, so you bribe your way out of paying taxes yet you complain about the terrible state the country is in. How's Nigeria supposed to be better when people have your mindset? Now some are complaining about paying taxes in the US yet they want to have a good road, constant electricity et al, what gives? Come on people

Guy, I am not righteous. I am a businessman and I spend too much money to buy diesel for Mikano generators for both my house and office and storage in addition to huge power bills. I can not operate at a loss and I can not run to EMERIKA. I settle the boys and they cut down the tax naw. Wetin Government do for me ?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life: Btw, this is for those who went to emergency room and they deemed their case wasn't urgent...Now go figure.

I think what kaiser is doing is good. The incidents of fraudulent "emergency" claims would be minimised significantly.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by DnigerianPrince: 10:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
Billyonaire:

Guy, I am not righteous. I am a businessman and I spend too much money to buy diesel for Mikano generators for both my house and office and storage in addition to huge power bills. I can not operate at a loss and I can not run to EMERIKA. I settle the boys and they cut down the tax naw. Wetin Government do for me ?

Fair enough, no one is righteous but what are you doing to make things better or at the least, leave it the way it is. You seem to be contributing to the negativity going on in Nigeria. All i'm saying is, You and I are the change we've been clamoring for. The attitude of "as long as me and my family are doing ok" will not get the country anywhere
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 10:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life: Btw, this is for those who went to emergency room and they deemed their case wasn't urgent...Now go figure.

I still maintain some hospitals require insurance before they treat you or they request for upfront payment.

INOVA HOSPITAL here in VA WILL NOT treat you unless you have insurance, even in some emergency case.
Nwanna, are you in virginia? Where exactly? Richmond or Virginia beach?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Dejiro(m): 10:43pm On Oct 04, 2013
Last year, the World Bank reported the amount of money Nigerians abroad remitted to Nigeria to be over $21 billion
In practical terms, this $21 billion is equivalent to about 9% of Nigeria’s GDP in the same year (World Bank). If America and all the other countries are that bad for Nigerians, how come these few Nigerians abroad are able to remit that much?
Source:
http://www.ohnigeria.com/2013/06/the-nigerian-diaspora-remittance-effect.html

My summary is this, If you are not in the upper middle class and above in Nigeria and you are not on your way to entering that class, staying in a developed country may be beneficiary for you and your family (Healthcarewise, Educationally and even Economically).

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:44pm On Oct 04, 2013
CFCfan:

I think what kaiser is doing is good. The incidents of fraudulent "emergency" claims would be minimised significantly.

These are to the guys who say that you don't need insurance to go to the hospital only when you go to see your PCP, Dentist, or whatever. I have first hand experience, back in 09 when I was laid off, I thought COBRA would have covered me, so I went to INOVA because I was sick, and their response shocked me. This is why I'm authoritatively saying what I'm saying.

You read the report, MORE THAN HALF OF THE HOSPITALS REQUIRE UPFRONT PAYMENT EVEN IN EMERGENCY, so much for medicare.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 04, 2013
CFCfan:

Naija billionaire no dey dull grin
My brother, we have to survive oh. WE can only survive this harsh weather by cutting corners. People living on EMERIKA are discouraging from joining them.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:46pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Nwanna, are you in virginia? Where exactly? Richmond or Virginia beach?

Way too far from there, I'm in Washington DC Metro Area, now in Arlington VA.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by soulglo: 10:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
manny4life:

Yes, credit checks to get a job and insurance.

I have been credit checked for a job AND insurance (GEICO and PROGRESSIVE) to be precise.

If you work in Banking, Defense, Govt, etc... Credit Check is a MUST, not an option.

Those who work in govt or govt contractors for instance and require security clearance need to undergo checks including credit check.

Btw I'm not saying this because I just want to talk, I'm saying it because I've been part of the process.

But what is the big deal about credit checks in situations like these. If someone is going to be hired to dole out financial advice and tell people how to plan for the future and make good investment choices wouldn't it be wise that their credit is checked to make sure that they at least have a clue about money.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by otokx(m): 10:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
Now that US govt workers are forced to stay at home; will they get paid for those days?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 10:52pm On Oct 04, 2013
This thread is degenerating into somethng else. I thought we had mature people on this thread but some people dey fall my hand here. Why nau?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 10:52pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

Fair enough, no one is righteous but what are you doing to make things better or at the least, leave it the way it is. You seem to be contributing to the negativity going on in Nigeria. All i'm saying is, You and I are the change we've been clamoring for. The attitude of "as long as me and my family are doing ok" will not get the country anywhere

Perhaps we're saying the same thing. Oh no, I'm not contributing to anything man, in fact, I want to change things. By the grace of God, I'm exposed to all faucets of life and management, perhaps, if I'm able to get one govt post... grin grin grin Slowly but surely, we'll make a change. I can't make a change being 5,000+ miles away, I got to be there.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
otokx: Now that US govt workers are forced to stay at home; will they get paid for those days?

Not likely. However, a political agreement could be reached if Congress authorizes 'back-pay' for the furloughed workers.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

I am being realistic. If I pay full tenement rate, then Federal and Lagos Tax and continue buying approximately 300, 000 worth of diesel for 3 generators per month, I wont be able to pay over 20 people on the Payroll. Which is worse ? Cutting down tax and keeping 20 familes fed or going under and sacking staff ? I Have shutdown businesses more than 5 times in my life. I am afraid of poverty and I need to not only break-even, I wanna stat afloat.

EMERIKA has Shutdown. NO free lunch anywhere.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 10:54pm On Oct 04, 2013
otokx: Now that US govt workers are forced to stay at home; will they get paid for those days?
no. They won't be paid. They are not working. Call it compulsorx unpaid leave.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (35) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / All About Banana Island Lagos State, History And Exclusive Pictures / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.