Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,027 members, 7,903,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 10:30 AM

For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey (4812 Views)

Photo: Do Guys Like This Still Exist? / Do Guys Like This Really Exist? / Why Do Nice Guys Always Get Treated Badly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Caracta(f): 11:17am On Oct 25, 2013
debosky:

RAH!!! cheesy

Need to discuss how to begin this study though. tongue

That's not a problem. We can start from the palace
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by UyiIredia(m): 11:19am On Oct 25, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Can't be deceived because I can't be attracted to a man that thinks he needs packaging. I am too observant and sensitive, I hardly miss tiny details.

When I was 16, my then best friend/now ex taught me something. You know(well, you might not know but I'll assume anyway) how girls feel a need to act a certain way when they notice guys staring at them??
We were at the store, on our way back from church and guys were 'noticing' me. When he noticed by change in character, he said, "they were attracted to you when you were just you, why do you think you have to change anything about yourself?". And it stuck, now my legs don't wobble when guys are staring at me grin grin

Packaging is for high school kids, it makes me question what you're hiding as a man.

I'll take you more seriously on packaging if you marry a beggar.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Danhumprey: 11:21am On Oct 25, 2013
Caracta:

Ok, lemme fix that. I do not want someone like me! cool
Exactly!

Fact is: if you wanna date/marry(most especially marriage) someone,let that person be the complete opposite of you. Though in some case,the person may not be perfectly the opposite of you,but let he/she be different from you,so you both can complement each other.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 25, 2013
Caracta:

So why is ihedinobi against "opposites attract"? More like two Phlegmatics getting married.

To Ihedinobi, Sanguines attract Sanguines. Wonderful! sad

If I didn't already know that your initial conviction derived from Tim Lahaye's book, I would have been completely thrown just now.

Didn't Tim explain that we are not single temperaments. We are mixtures. A MelPhleg, for instance, would be typically attracted to a MelSan. Why? There're qualities in the San that the Phleg will find novel and vice versa. But only the Mel makes it possible for both to see these qualities in the first place because the Mel automatically pulls them toward each other.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2013
Ihedinobi: Holy Lord in Heaven! Expressions of respect are not he same as respect itself. In your Yoruba land, I have to prostrate to greet elderly people. In my Igbo land, I offer two hands for a handshake with a slightly bowed head. They are both expressions of respect. But they mean the same freaking thing: respect to the older ones.

In no culture and under no proper human circumstance can respect be deemed to be infliction of malicious harm on the person you respect.

Good Lord!!!!!!!

You don come again. angry

Do you consider it malicious to offer your wife as 'company' to a visitor as is done in the Arctic? They think it's respectful, but you don't I guess?

The interpretation is in the eyes of the person receiving the 'act' of respect. It is not solely in the meaning intended by the person carrying it out. If you prostrate for an Igbo man who is unaware of Yoruba culture, will he regard the act as respectful?

My message is simple - my idea of respect and how it is shown must match my partner's. There is no universal standard when it comes to that.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:24am On Oct 25, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Can't be deceived because I can't be attracted to a man that thinks he needs packaging. I am too observant and sensitive, I hardly miss tiny details.

Packaging is for high school kids, it makes me question what you're hiding as a man.

Hehehe. . . .some packaging looks so good, you won't even think of it as packaging. cheesy

Maybe we're getting hung up on the word though - the fact is that you can present yourself in a way that highlights your good parts and reduces emphasis on the not so good. It's not a bad thing and definitely helps in wading through the numerous potential mates out there.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by UjSizzle(f): 11:25am On Oct 25, 2013
You people talk too much. We have this same topic discussed in 3 different threads undecided

When i'm less busy, i'll feel more inclined to argue. Till then.....
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I'll take you more seriously on packaging if you marry a beggar.
So a beggar that packages himself as a millionaire is better than a beggar that doesn't??

Have you considered thinking through your thoughts before posting them??
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:26am On Oct 25, 2013
Caracta:

That's not a problem. We can start from the palace

#Let'sGoThere cheesy

PS - what/where is the palace?
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 25, 2013
Graham123: To each his/her own. If any lady wants the bad then may God help her. But from Ihedinobi's point of view, why do ladies exhaust their life and expend all the good things they have to offer to the bad guys only to want to settle down with nice guys for marriage. No man wants a used lady, especially not the nice ones who have stood by an exemplary principle all their lives.

Preach it, brotha!
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 25, 2013
debosky:

You don come again. angry

Do you consider it malicious to offer your wife as 'company' to a visitor as is done in the Arctic? They think it's respectful, but you don't I guess?

The interpretation is in the eyes of the person receiving the 'act' of respect. It is not solely in the meaning intended by the person carrying it out. If you prostrate for an Igbo man who is unaware of Yoruba culture, will he regard the act as respectful?

My message is simple - my idea of respect and how it is shown must match my partner's. There is no universal standard when it comes to that.

There is! Or else there is no possibility of or point in person-to-person or people-group-to-people-group relationship.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Caracta(f): 11:30am On Oct 25, 2013
debosky:

#Let'sGoThere cheesy

PS - what/where is the palace?

I'm tired of arguing biko.

The palace? You don't know? Chei!
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:30am On Oct 25, 2013
Be a nice guy, but never bend over too much for another human being, always remember that the only useful thing you can do with a doormat is wipe your feet on it- Don't be a DOORMAT.

Signed
General Shepherd
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Danhumprey: 11:31am On Oct 25, 2013
Matthew briggs:

@bolded
- it's like saying there is nothing like the colour gray
- Love is not maniputalitive at the same time not been silly to the point of been manipulated
- Been nice does not translate to been a push over but may at the same listening to her needs putting them above your's in most cases. Which is wrong.

Errmhh.... Most women don't know what they really want, only very few do, in most cases It's up to the guy to convince them he's the real deal which happens to be something jerks are good at. (My personal observation).

You're not entirely wrong about that. Most women don't know what they really want.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by UjSizzle(f): 11:31am On Oct 25, 2013
Caracta:

Why must you read my mind all the time? I tire for you o angry
babe,u still at work? I'm heading that way.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 25, 2013
y-fo:

If a guy is nice by default and hates confrontation/being assertive (especially when it comes to the female folks)...should he just remain so and not have any tweak in his persona just for the sake of being real to his true nature?

I guess the main question here is, would you see this as 'packaging' or 'bettering himself'?

*long time no argument, how've you been smiley

Is nice = non-confrontational/non-assertive? In which dictionary? Puhleeeeeeeease!
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:36am On Oct 25, 2013
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:36am On Oct 25, 2013
Caracta:

God bless you. A nice guy to you might be a weak guy to me. Definition differs. The guy i consider a typically bad guy might be a nice guy to a girl out there. It depends on what we believe in. Very personal.

True not everything is in black and white. Taste differs and perception is subjective.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:39am On Oct 25, 2013
Ihedinobi:

There is! Or else there is no possibility of or point in person-to-person or people-group-to-people-group relationship.

The concept of respect is universal, but it is the acts (which aren't universal) that demonstrate respect not so?

This is why both parties must understand what respect means to each other in order to have a relationship. Maybe that wasn't clear in my previous post. If, for example, I consider respect to be kneeling down to serve me food while my partner considers it humiliating, we have a problem.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2013
debosky:

I'm no expert believe me, but I have learned a few things on my journey. . . .things that I am often too lazy to even practice sometimes. grin

You just proved a point that I didn't want to bother making. Anybody would get lazy to maintain a facade. Who you really are is what cements any damn relationship!
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:41am On Oct 25, 2013
Caracta:

I'm tired of arguing biko.

The palace? You don't know? Chei!

Hmm. . .I don't want to miss road oh, since everything is relative. grin

That's one thing I learned from relationships - always ask for confirmation. Assume nothing, not even when talking to your own townswoman. cheesy
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 25, 2013
Ihedinobi:

You just proved a point that I didn't want to bother making. Anybody would get lazy to maintain a facade. Who you really are is what cements any damn relationship!

Gospel truth bro!
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 25, 2013
debosky:

The concept of respect is universal, but it is the acts (which aren't universal) that demonstrate respect not so?

This is why both parties must understand what respect means to each other in order to have a relationship. Maybe that wasn't clear in my previous post. If, for example, I consider respect to be kneeling down to serve me food while my partner considers it humiliating, we have a problem.

And how do you truly resolve the problem without appealing to an impartial, all-embracing standard?
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by UjSizzle(f): 11:43am On Oct 25, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Is nice = non-confrontational/non-assertive? In which dictionary? Puhleeeeeeeease!
literally) A male person who has a pleasant, friendly manner.

idiomatic, euphemism) An inoffensive adult male who desires romantic companionship but who is too bland and uninspiring to be attractive.

That's a dictionary definition of a nice guy.

But since we've made it our business as humans to use words out of their original meaning, i'll say the definition of a 'nice guy' is subject to different individuals.

You can't define it, cause who A views as a nice guy could be a Jerk to B.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by princesa(f): 11:44am On Oct 25, 2013
uj_sizzle:
You people talk too much. We have this same topic discussed in 3 different threads undecided

When i'm less busy, i'll feel more inclined to argue. Till then.....
Till then, can we go sail that ship you promised? My head is wobbly with so much unnecessary arguments on here embarassed
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:45am On Oct 25, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Yes, but that still doesn't negate the (limited) usefulness of the facade - as I said, it's purpose is to catch the attention of the other party. Once that is achieved, one hopes the 'substance' behind the facade is sufficient to keep the other party interested.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:46am On Oct 25, 2013
Danhumprey: You're not entirely wrong about that. Most women don't know what they really want.

Good thing you see my point wink
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by UjSizzle(f): 11:48am On Oct 25, 2013
princesa:
Till then, can we go sail that ship you promised? My head is wobbly with so much unnecessary arguments on here embarassed
lol ofcoz darling, we can sail the ship. Beautiful weather and just the right amount of wind cheesy
Come with your swim suit, we're gonna dive wink
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by debosky(m): 11:48am On Oct 25, 2013
Ihedinobi:

And how do you truly resolve the problem without appealing to an impartial, all-embracing standard?

You can't always resolve it - for some the cultural expressions of respect cannot be separated from the concept of respect. For others their practices are so deeply ingrained that they refuse to countenance something different. As always, if we don't agree (or at least compromise), we can't enter into/maintain a relationship.

I've never denied the universal concept exists though - only that it's expression is the ultimate test. If we don't match on that level, there is a problem which may or may not be resolvable.
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 25, 2013
debosky:

And how many people are at the stage that they're ready for God-standard Love? Taking the idealistic path again I see? I'm talking about what holds/applies, you seem to be more on the what [i]should [/i]apply route.

I didn't define the game to be honest, it means different things to different people. As far as I'm concerned, it's the end goal and motive that are key. People will get there via different routes - some will use mind control for a while and later discard it, others will bypass it entirely.

It all depends on the maturity/emotional development of the individuals involved, and the levels they feel they must go to 'secure' the one they want.

Oh ok. I'm about the destination and you're about the journey?

Fine, but if I'm on the line that runs from Lagos to Kano, I'm not likely to ever get to Umuahia unless I change lines or get to Kano and head back toward Umuahia, no?
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by Caracta(f): 11:50am On Oct 25, 2013
uj_sizzle:
babe,u still at work? I'm heading that way.

Yes. But not for long. 12noon. Remember?
Matthew briggs:

True not everything is in black and white. Taste differs and perception is subjective.

Isn't that what we've been trying to preach to them?
Re: For Them Nice Guys Like Graham And Danhumphrey by UjSizzle(f): 11:52am On Oct 25, 2013
Don't I loove my dictionary cheesy

Proverb
Nice Guys Finish Last

People who are decent, friendly, and agreeable tend to be unsuccessful because they are outmaneuvered or overwhelmed by others who are not so decent, friendly, or agreeable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Letter To My Girlfriend / What Does She Do In The Bathroom? / I Would Arrive In Nigeria On 25th, July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.