Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,454 members, 7,968,251 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 10:01 PM

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (37833 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

shut the fuc'. there is no discipline anywhere in this planet called building! what they have is building and carpentry ..thats what i was tryna let the useless homosexual knw bfor he started exuding his largish inherent stupidity.

Na only big big grammar u sabi speak, after consulting your dictionary, check out this link, dats d department of Building in the federal university of technology Owerri
http://www.futo.edu.ng/Schools/Environmental/Building.aspx

No b to speak grammar b d problem, if na so hon Patrick for get money pass dangote

3 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 8:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: even abacha and Osama bin laden had people supporting them....help me ask him to show one comment that is in support of what he is saying.......even Jesus Christ had some jews following him even when he practically came to take the power given to the jews to all humans

Oh bro! You disapointed me! You said you were a graduate and you were already working! But seriously,did you pass through secondary school

Now,forget whatever level I am,even if I'm a drop-out! Let's face the issue on ground. If you ever passed through secondary school and answered questions on comprehension passages,you would not talk in this cheap manner!

Your comments now show that you have a very poor comprehension! Well,I have helped you to break the post down for simples like you to understand,just scroll up there and read.

Sorry if I sound harsh,you caused it!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sonnie10: 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2014
x-kid2000:
I've a cousin in Cyprus studying cyber security...the job of its graduates please?

Virtually every transaction now in advanced world and some in less developed places is computerized. Business and trade secrets need to protected. Military institutions need to protect their defense mechanism. Health organizations need to protect clients/patient identity etc. The list is endless. This is the job of cyber security experts
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2014
i seriously lafffed at the bolded buh its so true... if sango/amadioha were well packaged, we couldav had our own Thor smiley
uzoexcel:

To Mr Caveman and others
u mentioning the below aforementioned courses as useless and irrelevant shows your dim-witted reasoning sorry to say. If u really studied in UI and u dont know the importance that the city of Ibadan places on Agricultural related courses, then methinks u dont have any idea of what u r saying here.
I did my college education in Ibadan and even i knew the 'rep' people who read these courses get. Ibadan has more than 6 agricultural world class research institutions amongst which are
IITA - International institute of Tropical agriculture
CRIN_ Cocoa research institute of Nigeria
NISER- National institute of social economic research
FRIN - Forest research institute of Nigeria
IAR & T
amongst others
My younger sister had A1's in agric and economics and B3's in all other subjects for her WAEC. instead of her joining the flock to apply for med and surgery, i adviced her to study agric econs in a federal uni in the east which she did and graduated with a high 2:1. she was lucky to serve in Ibadan and then posted to NISER where she did research for her NYSC (no one influenced this). After service, she got an EU scholarship to do a double mastERS degree in agric bioengineering, environmental policy and development economics...she is in europe and from all indications she aint coming back as there are so many ph.d studentships,scholarships and jobs for people who studied courses with agricultural content in their field and are passionate about it.
The most important thing is wherever/whatever u study, create a roadmap for urself and most IMPORTANTLY, think far....Dont let naija be the limit of ur thinking/horizon. There r scholarships/opportunities for every course in europe if u package urself properly
.Google erasmus mundus masters courses and u ll see scholarships/opportunities for all courses
Its so unfortunate that in naija that due to the underdevelopment of so many industries and the man-know-man mentality people who sweat reading courses like human kinetics, polymer and textile engineering etc will end up in a bank or having to start business because the industries where they wouldav put whatever they garnered in school is virtually non existent.

Make i yearn more as i gat free time on my hands for now grin.Take for example a guy/chick who reads Food science, microbiology,animal science, soil science etc and finishes with a 2:1 and then goes on for his NYSC in kano. If u wanna package urself internationally for masters scholarship application, it starts from NYSC. Dont go joining groups for CDS like road safety etc which are 'useless' (u are allowed to use this word here only smiley ) ; instead look out for UNICEF, HIV/AIDS, anti Women trafficking, MDG'S (renowned world bodies) and make sure u take it serious and follow it bumper to bumper and at the end of ur NYSC, have an official of one of these NGO's write a strong letter of recommendation for you saying u undertook voluntary work (u can sweeten it by saying u chose to give back to the society bla bla bla) and then with your 1 year experience/service in a college (instead of saying you taught biology, you can put 'a college lab scientist') -- This is packaging..... ... (Packaging is important,,its why most of us will pay to watch Thor in cinemas while we have our own Sango and amadioha rotting away with low patronage grin )
along with ur TOEFL which you should write while doing your NYSC as this is the best time to write it when u v time and FG money in ur hands, u r good to go to apply for the following below..they r all called erasmus mundus masters courses..there r so many more but this s what i could dig up
http://sites.wageningenur.nl/en/emsanf.htm
http://emfoodoflife.eu/
https://www.jyu.fi/en/studywithus/programmes/emsep
http://www.master-imacs.org/
http://sutrofor.eu/

With expensive phnes most of y'all carry around, try and utilize it optimally by googling and doing research..a friend of mine who finished from UNIUYO was complaining about lack of opportunities in her course to study abroad..I told her that 'do u know that UNIUYO is the only university in naija that has an agreement with NTNU (Norwegian university of sciience and technology) which is the topmost university in Norway for free masters and scholarship admission in the whole of naija.Check the following link below . there is a quota specifically allocated just for students who graduated from UNIUYO
http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/ntnu-s-cooperation-agreements

I also think there is laziness of some nigerian gradautes, i wonder why someone who read a course like international relations, linguistics, english language, mass communication etc would not take out time to study or pay for language courses in french,german etc. If i read any of the above courses apart from scholarships and all, i would be thinking of working for the United Nations, UNDP and all. (b4 u can work for any of these international NGO'S u must know a second language apart from english language)
LEARN TO THINK BIG, IT DOESNT MATTER WHEREVER YOU ARE.MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT U HAVE and no one will see ur back
Sorry for the long letter;i sometimes 4get myself though i m taking an example from my ogas at the top in the art of letter writing grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by doubtingthomas(m): 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2014
Help!!! My boy wants to be a cartoonist
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by chomaloo(m): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
Leebliss13: Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?
guy wt ds mentality ur 10th generation wil rmain useless n clueless
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by uzoexcel(m): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
greatest FUTOITE!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Ifyikillz:

Na only big big grammar u sabi speak, after consulting your dictionary, check out this link, dats d department of Building in the federal university of technology Owerri
http://www.futo.edu.ng/Schools/Environmental/Building.aspx

No b to speak grammar b d problem, if na so hon Patrick for get money pass dangote
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by xkid2000(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2014
sonnie10:

Virtually every transaction now in advanced world and some in less developed places is computerized. Business and trade secrets need to protected. Military institutions need to protect their defense mechanism. Health organizations need to protect clients/patient identity etc. The list is endless. This is the job of cyber security experts
grin
sonnie10:

shey i wont join that Mr.man there bayii? Now i see why he left UNIBEN for Cyprus..thanks bro!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Anoneism(m): 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
Before now I believe no course is a waste but after a critical consideration I come to the realisation that some courses are just not worth it or that some of them have limitations or restrictions. Most of these kind courses are mostly in College of Education. Imagine someone studying any of the following courses:
>Igala Social Studies
>Hausa Environmental Studies
>Igbo and English
>Igala Political Science
>Yoruba and Counseling
LWKMD.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
uzoexcel: greatest FUTOITE!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

Great
Don't mind d dude, he dunno wat he is saying
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by uzoexcel(m): 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2014

Anoneism: Before now I believe no course is a waste but after a critical consideration I come to the realisation that some courses are just not worth it or that some of them have limitations or restrictions. Most of these kind courses are mostly in College of Education. Imagine someone studying any of the following courses:
>Igala Social Studies
>Hausa Environmental Studies
>Igbo and English
>Igala Political Science
>Yoruba and Counseling
LWKMD.

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sonnie10: 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2014
x-kid2000:
grin shey i wont join that Mr.man there bayii? Now i see why he left UNIBEN for Cyprus..thanks bro!

My brother, if you dey environment where recognize hard work and brain, and come the use this guys innovative minds, you would agree with me say opportunity full every for anybody who is ready to explore.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by bank2k4real(m): 8:57pm On Jan 03, 2014
Beauty..
Freshness..
Dreams..
Truth..
Imagination..
Feeling..
Faith..
Trust..
This is beginning of a new year!

When d enemies say its over,let man hands over, when man hands over God takes over and when God takes over d devil takes cover n when d devil takes cover man crosses over...Happy. New. Year......

Welcome to 2014......check my signature
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sonnie10: 9:05pm On Jan 03, 2014
sonnie10: My point here is to give you a list of 4-5year courses. So I have excluded Medicine(and other specialties), pharmacy and law.

Bio Medical Engr.
Bio Tech
Any Medical Imaging science; Radiography, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, MRI, CT Scan
Physics/medical physics
Radiotherapy/ Dosimetry
software applications/ Engr.
cyber security/ admin
cytology/histology (branch of medical lab. science)
Biomedical science
Nano Engr.
Bioinformatics
Optics and health instrumentation
DNA and forensic studies

These is not an exclusive list but there are very hot career options now.

Some of these programs you can also study at the masters degree level after your BSc

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by oludamy(m): 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2014
huthmanadam: wetin P.H.E dey do for university as a course!!! Even bk in Sec sch,, I hated d subject...
Lol
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Eldorado14: 9:23pm On Jan 03, 2014
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by elebua: 9:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
zutu: No degree is a waste
No course is a waste but I won't be the one studying them.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by RKVINTLTD: 9:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
Any course at University is to have the knowledge of emperical & theoretial analysis to solve human problems.

Once you have the passion & zeal to succeed in any field of your interest, you do not need degree.

Degree only add value to your status, it is not wealth itself.

If you have a degree fine, I you dont fine, your success is in your hand.

Any degree is useful one day.

In getting employment, then one needs degree of high demand to face competition, top among them include;

Accounting & Finance
Marketing
Human Resources Mgt.
Pharmacy
Medicine
Electrical & electronics
Computer Science
Mechanical engineering
Automobile engineering
Architect
Surveyor
Law
Education
Secretarial studies
Economist
Actural Science
Petrochemical
Geology
Hotel & Tourism
Journalism

among others

No knowledge is a waste.

Course does nor realy matter in first degree because you can still put in for PGD to study any course different from your first degree.

e.g. Social Science to any Managent PGD,
Medicine to Pharmacy,
Law to Real estate Management.
e.t.c

Thanks
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by simiolu1(m): 9:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
doubtingthomas: Help!!! My boy wants to be a cartoonist

PLS I beg U in d name of God, do not discourage him!
Has it ever occured 2 U dat DC Comics (d creators of Superman) was started by a cartoonist? Now, Superman is a franchise.
Marvel comics (founded by Stan Lee) is d creator of Spiderman, X-men, Thor, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk etc. The franchise from those xters are now worth billions.
U see, to b a cartoonist, U MUST b good at drawin. And since d world has gone digital, drawin too has gone digital. That's y softwares like Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw hv become popular.
Cartoonists are creative pple; expand ur boys creativity and his options would b limitless!
He could become a graphic artist, brand manager, cartonist, illustrator etc.
I'd suggest U buy him color books, charcoal pencils, drawin books, drawin pad & xpose him early 2 d world of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop & CorelDraw!

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by simiolu1(m): 10:43pm On Jan 03, 2014
A retired Lawyer once told me I'd b a teacher after I told him I was studying Pure & Applied Physics. I shook my head feelin sorry 4 him.
By God's grace, I did my I.T in a telecoms firm & it was then my eyes were opened 2 d opportunities within my reach. I can become a medical physicist, geophysicist, engineer, pilot, theoretical physicist, etc just by d virtue of my cert.
No certificate or knowledge is a waste; it only depends on d holder.
& it is now paramount dat undergraduates begin 2 think of how 2 create jobs instead of searchin for jobs.
Acquire skills (like Languages, computer know-how, programming, networking, photography, fashion designin etc) but most of all, get knowledge on the leverage ur certificate gives U.
And don't think within the Nigerian context alone!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by doeying(m): 11:09pm On Jan 03, 2014
Yomieluv: no course studied is a waste,even people that studied the assumed better course are still roaming about unemployed. What someone need is the right connection,if you have the right connection,you can work in any organization,not even related to your field.

pls i hope this connection is our God connection...cus dats the only thing that counts.....#justsaying
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by InvertedHammer: 11:20pm On Jan 03, 2014
/
Sociology is dead on arrival.

The only way to make it will be to venture into other disciplines.

There may be some exceptions...but exceptions do not negate the rules.

\
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sonnie10: 12:10am On Jan 04, 2014
InvertedHammer: /
Sociology is dead on arrival.

The only way to make it will be to venture into other disciplines.

There may be some exceptions...but exceptions do not negate the rules.

\

except we are limiting our discussion to nija opportunities . social workers are highly needed and the pay is comparable. Again, clinical sociology/ counsellor is a career with great potentials.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jesuspikinjp(m): 12:24am On Jan 04, 2014
Abu Mikey:

If Your father is high on methamphetamine, does it make me high on Meth too? undecided

There is department of Building at AAU you _retarded arsehole angry

maybe he hasn't heard of building technology before
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jesuspikinjp(m): 12:28am On Jan 04, 2014
dfemmy: Whatabout "Religious study" any good outcome about that course? I'm just curious, I need more enlightenment.

tell me which biz is more lucrative than church biz in nigeria this day? After your religious study the best thing is 4 you to open your own church.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by goldenvicky(f): 5:18am On Jan 04, 2014
Leebliss13: Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?
lyk seriously do U̶̲̥̅̊ know wat U̶̲̥̅̊ are saying,Igbo language shuldnt be studied,na so ur sense reach.Go to telecommunication companies,dem D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y find pple wey study language courses or y do U̶̲̥̅̊ tink they ask for preferred languages weneva U̶̲̥̅̊ call a network customer services or don't U̶̲̥̅̊ knw its pple dat studied language courses they employ..@Op,I no sure say U̶̲̥̅̊ find seek admission wella,am sure U̶̲̥̅̊ saw ur admission on a platform of gold if not U̶̲̥̅̊ go D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y beg make dem offer U̶̲̥̅̊ farming..wake up fellas,no knowledge is a waste
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by ceeceeco: 6:01am On Jan 04, 2014
No course is a curse.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by stinggy(m): 6:27am On Jan 04, 2014
Bush burning & Animal hunting
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 6:34am On Jan 04, 2014
Am proud of ma course- HUNTING AND
 TRAP SETTINGS
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 04, 2014
735 i:
Just go to a Federal University and get a 1st class or a very good 2.1
If you like study; Zoology or Wildlife; with a 1st class you will get a good job weeks after your passing out from NYSC.
You think zoology is yam? To get a 2:1 in zoology, your asss must seriously be worked. When some of u eventually get into some of these courses you under rate, most of you eventually drop out.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Forzap: 6:57am On Jan 04, 2014
stinggy: Bush burning & Animal hunting

bush burning ke shocked
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by ShumbyRap(m): 7:09am On Jan 04, 2014
Am studying horticulture and proud of it... Just try and knw more abt this course u'll knw dat its one of d best in nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Thousands Of International Students In Canada Face Deportation, Sparking Protes / 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English / University Of Nigeria 'UNN' Dropout Made A Lecturer By Hong Kong University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.