Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,953 members, 7,949,264 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 01:01 AM

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (37612 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 4:46am On Jan 01, 2014
We all know those degrees in college/university that when someone you know says they are doing, you can't help but cringe inside because you just know they would likely regret it after they finish school because of it's grim employability prospects. Unless they eventually get sharp enough and divert to something else.

These degrees serve as nothing but a means for the university offering them to eat the money of their students and sell them false hopes detached from real-world needs.

One that comes to mind for me is "Womens Studies". For the obvious reason of, well come on, it's obvious cheesy
Which degree do you think is useless and why?

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by caye(m): 8:18am On Jan 01, 2014
1. Russian
2. International relations
3. Agric econs and extension
4. Human kinetics
just go to UI. Dem plenty.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by huthmanadam(m): 8:31am On Jan 01, 2014
wetin P.H.E dey do for university as a course!!! Even bk in Sec sch,, I hated d subject...
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by ashhascash: 10:48am On Jan 01, 2014
Bosses no course is useless.
Courses chosen should be passion driven nd not "follow, follow".
Hapi nw yr.

62 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 01, 2014
Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by promisechild(m): 12:22pm On Jan 01, 2014
Senseless and stupid post

Point of correction all courses offered in the university has it own usefulness do u think been a graduate is all about working under someone?
If ur thought is like that am sorry to tell you that u have missed the road.

No knowlege is a waste

56 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by zutu(m): 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2014
No degree is a waste

9 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 4:14pm On Jan 01, 2014
I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.

12 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sagaciousblog: 5:14pm On Jan 01, 2014
jaryeh: I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
7. Agriculture.
stop living in the stone age...how abt pharmacy,dentistry, nursing et all? medicine is no longer as it used to be..you should also remove law from that list cos their chances are very slim as well...i think you also study mass com thats y u placed it there cos their chances are also slim.

41 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 01, 2014
jaryeh: I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
7. Agriculture.

U must be a dull person

8 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Kendzyma(m): 11:17pm On Jan 01, 2014
Ifyikillz:

U must be a dull person
y all diz beef?? List ur own if u nt satisfied or wat ar ur keypad meant 4?...guess u in for soil scienc

9 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:06am On Jan 02, 2014
To all #TeamNoDegreeIsWorthless,

You have to understand that there is an extra dimension to these things.
You may like something, but is it worth spending that much money and 4 years of your life to get a degree out of it if it has no prospects of putting food on your table....ESPECIALLY as you don't come from wealth and have to earn your living like anyone else?

If you like dancing...do your own research on it. Join dance classes to develop your style(The people who teach the dance classes don't need degrees, they just have to show you they can dance for you to believe them), Join/create a dance crew, etc. It makes no sense throwing that much money at a school for a BA in Dance or what not.

Do you know some of the best actors are those who had other active life plans?

Given my OP on Women's Studies, a person like that would be better off just taking Psychology because then they are versatile enough to be used in the same and much broader fields (e.g Marketing) if you end up not dealing specifically with women.

A lot of these mistakes I would say, are due to schools.
Schools don't give a shiiit. They just want your money and they will sell you whatever false hope you need to hear to take that money from you.

A lot of their "success stories" are mostly people who got there by reason of their contacts and God's grace, not in particular the weird degree the school is trying to sell to you.
It is left to you being sharp and doing your own research of the world and it's needs. Which is why I generally suggest folks take some time to travel if they can before starting uni, at least those that can.

8 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Karleb(m): 7:01am On Jan 02, 2014
2buff: To all #TeamNoDegreeIsWorthless,

You have to understand that there is an extra dimension to these things.
You may like something, but is it worth spending that much money and 4 years of your life to get a degree out of it if it has no prospects of putting food on your table....ESPECIALLY as you don't come from wealth and have to earn your living like anyone else?

If you like dancing...do your own research on it. Join dance classes to develop your style(The people who teach the dance classes don't need degrees, they just have to show you they can dance for you to believe them), Join/create a dance crew, etc. It makes no sense throwing that much money at a school for a BA in Dance or what not.

Do you know some of the best actors are those who had other active life plans?

Given my OP on Women's Studies, a person like that would be better off just taking Psychology because then they are versatile enough to be used in the same and much broader fields (e.g Marketing) if you end up not dealing specifically with women.

A lot of these mistakes I would say, are due to schools.
Schools don't give a shiiit. They just want your money and they will sell you whatever false hope you need to hear to take that money from you.

A lot of their "success stories" are mostly people who got there by reason of their contacts and God's grace, not in particular the weird degree the school is trying to sell to you.
It is left to you being sharp and doing your own research of the world and it's needs. Which is why I generally suggest folks take some time to travel if they can before starting uni, at least those that can.
I hate quoting long post but my guy, u just killed it.

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 7:12am On Jan 02, 2014
Ifyikillz:

U must be a dull person

Haba! Must you insult me? Feel free to tender your points,don't resort to insult! It's a forum you know.

12 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 7:20am On Jan 02, 2014
sagaciousblog: stop living in the stone age...how abt pharmacy,dentistry, nursing et all? medicine is no longer as it used to be..you should also remove law from that list cos their chances are very slim as well...i think you also study mass com thats y u placed it there cos their chances are also slim.

#LOL. I'm neither a Mass Comm student nor a Law student,what I know is,being a lawyer is not all about working in a court of law,and Mass Comm is not all about being a radio/television presenter! I hope you get it.

Check the words in bold below for the first part.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
7. Agriculture.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 7:22am On Jan 02, 2014
Kendzyma: y all diz beef?? List ur own if u nt satisfied or wat ar ur keypad meant 4?...guess u in for soil scienc

#LOL. Oga mi! Help me tell am o.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 02, 2014
I'm sure a blithering ignoramus who can't differenciate western music, or let me just say music from the crap we listen to everyday will soon be here to say we that study music are just wasting our time.

That said, but some courses ehn...
Have you ever heard of carpentry??

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sweettease(f): 11:35am On Jan 02, 2014
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
7. Agriculture.
what are you studying/did you study?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sweettease(f): 11:46am On Jan 02, 2014
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 1:15pm On Jan 02, 2014
sweet-tease:

what are you studying/did you study?

Newly admitted to study Mech. Engr. Why asking
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sweettease(f): 2:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
jaryeh:

Newly admitted to study Mech. Engr. Why asking
No offense but you still have the when i grow up i want to be a doctor/lawyer and the likes kinda approach where kids/teenagers pick the most common profession they have basic ideas about what it entails and believe it is the real deal. Back then, things like science lab tech, business administration, nautical/aeronautical science, Pharmacy, nursing, biochemistry, microbiology, computer science, etc hardly comes to mind. Am surprised you forgot to include banking and finance, smiley it was really common amongst us then or maybe the bank retrenchments have changed thngs.
Btw, you should find out more about afterschool life of the professions you listed, especially 5 and 6.

9 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 3:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
sweet-tease:

No offense but you still have the when i grow up i want to be a doctor/lawyer and the likes kinda approach where kids/teenagers pick the most common profession they have basic ideas about what it entails and believe it is the real deal. Back then, things like science lab tech, business administration, nautical/aeronautical science, Pharmacy, nursing, biochemistry, microbiology, computer science, etc hardly comes to mind. Am surprised you forgot to include banking and finance, smiley it was really common amongst us then or maybe the bank retrenchments have changed thngs.
Btw, you should find out more about afterschool life of the professions you listed, especially 5 and 6.

Okay! Banking and finance? Are you kidding me? Well well well,anyhow you view it.
BTW,what about you? Are you in for banking and finance?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Project400: 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
Firstly, no course is useless although students studying some courses often feel special at school. Its a normal feeling for the age group of most teen and youth in school.

Meanwhile, the after-school life is completely different from the campus experience.

Take for instance, two friends studying Law at school will most likely feel "better" than their counterparts studying Sociology in the same school.
However, after school, the two Lawyers may likely not live the same lifestyle or earn the same salary. Infact, one might earn as little as N25,000 doing affidavit, while the other might end up in a big coy.

At that time, the question is no longer about your course of study, but "what you are able to achieve after school".

As long as you have Lecturers teaching you in the same course you applied for; then it's not useless.

7 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
Kendzyma: y all diz beef?? List ur own if u nt satisfied or wat ar ur keypad meant 4?...guess u in for soil scienc

Another dull person
So wat if am studying soil science??
What did your president study, even yar adua, both the current vc in my school and d immediate past vc are both from agricultural related fields, and so many other people too,
Are you in this age?
Cos if you are you wont ask me such a question

I should list mine, list what? Cos there's nothing to list.. I know a lot of people who studied so many courses dat u didn't list there and they are very successful...... Medicine, law, engineering, lol good courses, but u sounded like my illiterate grandpa

14 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
sweet-tease:

D dude probably just finished sec school, his mentality tells

Ooo, i just saw d part were he said newly admitted, thought as much,

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 9:32am On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

D dude probably just finished sec school, his mentality tells

Ooo, i just saw d part were he said newly admitted, thought as much,

Oh! Man! You're a graduate If you're not yet a graduate,then we are still in the same category 'cos we both don't have the after-school experience yet.

I can't even believe you are one 'cos of the poo you wrote here.
Ifyikillz:

U must be a dull person
It vividly shows your mentality as well.

Anyway,thanks for sharing your view.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by 735i(m): 11:14am On Jan 03, 2014
Just go to a Federal University and get a 1st class or a very good 2.1
If you like study; Zoology or Wildlife; with a 1st class you will get a good job weeks after your passing out from NYSC.

9 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by 1UNEC: 11:14am On Jan 03, 2014
None
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by bigx(m): 11:15am On Jan 03, 2014
Everything is Worth Studying

Nigerians though only think in terms of Job and Salary it would Bring

Probably that's why we never discover anything tangible or have any viable research institutions

8 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 03, 2014
no course studied is a waste,even people that studied the assumed better course are still roaming about unemployed. What someone need is the right connection,if you have the right connection,you can work in any organization,not even related to your field.

3 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by AbuMikey(m): 11:17am On Jan 03, 2014

Building angry

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by slap1(m): 11:18am On Jan 03, 2014
No degree is an absolute waste. However, I don't advise people to study Theatre Arts just because they want to be actors/actresses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

UNIBEN Lecturer Teaching With Bodyguard (Weird) / Characteristics Of People With Low Self-esteem / Jim Ovia Scholarship For Nigerian Students 2016 - Full Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.