Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,063 members, 7,970,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:14 AM

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (37861 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 1:28pm On Jan 03, 2014
Oluwatola5: The problem with Nigerians is that they lack the ability to think outside the box. I SMH whenever i tell people my course(Education and English Lang) and the question that pops out of their mouth is ''why were you given that course? Did you actually pick that course?''. Like seriously, the reason why unemployment is rampant is because of over-concentration on just particular courses of study.

Like seriously, if i didnt have parents who are learned, i guess i also would have been wallowing in this backward mentality of ''once you are a good Art student, go for Law''. When i think of the doors open to me through my course alone, i just laugh within me and say ''the end will justify the means''. Perhaps many dont know the kind of money educational consultants are earning per consultations just like the medical consultants or also the wide room opened which means a larger percentage will never go jobless for a moment. The life of Dolapo Ogunbawo tells it all about the education world.

The bottomline is that, know your worth, know the benefits of your course and go for it. Besides in the university, you get to borrow courses, all these are done to make you a rational thinker, not just thinking withing your field of study, you can as well try something else when your desire directs you. smiley
haha...dear read your post carefully twice and see how you contradict yourself over and over again.....so you who 'thought out of the box' choose education because it is your passion?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 1:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: lool.......it tells me the dude has his faults sha.......i rarely post on nairaland because of the insults...no time to indulge in that.....but im loving chatting with you cause even after you made the mistake of insulting...you corrected yourself....Maybe he didnt know the implications of listing 7 courses without a lot of 'profitable' courses among them...he didnt even mention geology, geophysics...lets say he was just too certain on the 7 courses....and yes he was like the 'mummy i want to be an engineer when i grow up' type
well,I didn't say that was all the important courses! The problem I have with majority here is they probably don't understand the part where I used '....most likely....'. I'm not surprised anyway,it's the Nigerian education system!

By their seed you shall know them.....
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 1:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: lool.......it tells me the dude has his faults sha.......i rarely post on nairaland because of the insults...no time to indulge in that.....but im loving chatting with you cause even after you made the mistake of insulting...you corrected yourself....Maybe he didnt know the implications of listing 7 courses without a lot of 'profitable' courses among them...he didnt even mention geology, geophysics...lets say he was just too certain on the 7 courses....and yes he was like the 'mummy i want to be an engineer when i grow up' type
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by deeptesting(m): 1:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
Please is there any course for "BLOGGING" my 12yr old nephew just told me that he is not going back to school on resumption this month that he wants to be a blogger..... @topic no course is useless just get educated unfortunately we no longer go to school to get educated but to get a degree.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Chindykuska(m): 1:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
education courses give that feelings too
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
I don't think any course is useless,but some
courses give a slimmer chance in the labour
market compared to others. These courses are
mostly imposed on the students as a result of
their not passing the cut off for their preferred
course. IMO,any course apart from the ones
below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.
Jaryeh or wat do you call yourself, so all dis courses you listed here have a wider chance in the labour market, and other courses do not?
Wake up?
Have you heard of project management tech,information management tech, financial management tech, public health tech, environmental technology, industrial physics, microbiology,dentistry,

And which labor market? Do you mean nigerian labor market were one studies biotechnology and work in an insurance firm? Whatever you study dis firms will still train you, thats y a biochemist can work in a bank.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by MRL1MPoPoTM: 1:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abu Mikey:

If Your father is high on methamphetamine, does it make me high on Meth too? undecided

There is department of Building at AAU you _retarded arsehole angry

you aint just high on hallucinogen, buh ur'e MAD-drunk with your blind crippled mother's MALODOROUS MENSTRUATION grin embarassed !!

FYI, building isnt an autarchic discipline of its own, it is aligned with a peripheral called carpentry. wooden-headed schmuck

HONESTLY, Nl would be a much saner place without bovine narcissistic debauched homosexuals like u. pukes angry

3 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by unmask: 1:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
there is nothing like a useless course if you went into it willingly....we have been programmed with the mentality that some courses are useless, whereas in developed countries where specialization can be found, you would hardly see an engineer in a bank, neither will you see one doing the job of someone that studied carpentry......would you say those that study handwritting wasted that time? These are people used to catch criminals......so op no course is useless every course has its own use
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh:

Now,I can see that you have a very low level of understanding 'cos this is the exact opposite of the first sentence in my post!

You can now see who actually is the dull person here,you claim to be a graduate or undergraduate and still you could not understand that simple statement. I give up!
Jaryeh or wat do you call yourself, so all dis
courses you listed in d first page have a wider chance in
the labour market, and other courses do not?
Wake up?
Have you heard of project management
tech,information management tech, financial
management tech, public health tech,
environmental technology, industrial physics,
microbiology,dentistry,
And which labor market? Do you mean nigerian
labor market were one studies biotechnology and
work in an insurance firm? Whatever you study
dis firms will still train you, thats y a biochemist
can work in a bank.
Another thing iz d list was childish
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Olril18(m): 1:45pm On Jan 03, 2014
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

is building a course ni? u must be high on methamphetamine.
unilag do offer building...so, yeah,its a course.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by psky: 1:45pm On Jan 03, 2014
deeptesting: Please is there any course for "BLOGGING" my 12yr old nephew just told me that he is not going back to school on resumption this month that he wants to be a blogger..... @topic no course is useless just get educated unfortunately we no longer go to school to get educated but to get a degree.

Lol! Tell him to study mass comm.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Oluwatola5(f): 1:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: haha...dear read your post carefully twice and see how you contradict yourself over and over again.....so you who 'thought out of the box' choose education because it is your passion?
Yh, i chose it because it is my passion, those around me know that. BTW, no contradiction was in my post.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 1:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:
Jaryeh or wat do you call yourself, so all dis
courses you listed in d first page have a wider chance in
the labour market, and other courses do not?
Wake up?
Have you heard of project management
tech,information management tech, financial
management tech, public health tech,
environmental technology, industrial physics,
microbiology,dentistry,
And which labor market? Do you mean nigerian
labor market were one studies biotechnology and
work in an insurance firm? Whatever you study
dis firms will still train you, thats y a biochemist
can work in a bank.
Another thing iz d list was childish

You still didn't understand my post bro! If you did,you would not say this.

Try reading to understand. I give up!

The list was childish Well,that's your opinion,and that doesn't stop it from making sense. And so,yours was 'adultish'. cheesy

*unfollows thread*
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by RAPMAN02(m): 1:58pm On Jan 03, 2014
caye: 1. Russian
2. International relations
3. Agric econs and extension
4. Human kinetics
just go to UI. Dem plenty.
ifa hear say international relations is not worth studying shocked
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by bharyur2103(m): 2:04pm On Jan 03, 2014
The truth is no course is ABSOLUTELY useless,but a course can be RELATIVELY useless.I believe the worthiness of studying a course is a direct function of the purpose of studying the course.Imagine someone,who hopes to end up at the helm of a pharmaceutical company,applying for pharmacy,but ends up being admitted to study transport management.Such a person would know right from the onset transport management is useless to him if he still wants to achieve his purpose of obtaining a university degree.I happen to be an accounting student,but I can tell you accounting is RELATIVELY useless to some people studying it as well.

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh:

haba! Read my post again Mr man. I never said any course was useless.
It's what we all know that some courses give slimmer chance in the labour market! Isn't that simple enough. Haba! I give up on your level of understanding!

Now,who is the dunce here

Excuse me! In that ur silly post, didnt u say anything aside what u listed? Did u in anyway include geology/other science-based courses? Anyways, u are not yet in school so u know little or nothing abt school. Good day!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by abbakacici: 2:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
yes in the western world all course are worth studying, but please studying bsc music or dance in nigeria is not worth it, because even if you are to be self employed i don't think spending 4-5 years of your self in university just to hang a bsc dance degree in your store, workshop is worth the time and money and there are other courses that are practically useless in nigeria because we don't have lab to practice them like anthropology, archeology and forensic science and course like Abuse Studies Gymnastic studies
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by tunapa2009(m): 2:09pm On Jan 03, 2014
caye: 1. Russian
2. International relations
3. Agric econs and extension
4. Human kinetics
just go to UI. Dem plenty.

Agric econs Abeg ask dr adeshina (minister of agriculture)...
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by EmenikeOkoye(m): 2:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
Leebliss13: Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?
Igbo gbowaa gi onu!!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by AbuMikey(m): 2:23pm On Jan 03, 2014
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

you aint just high on hallucinogen, buh ur'e MAD-drunk with your blind crippled mother's MALODOROUS MENSTRUATION grin embarassed !!

FYI, building isnt an autarchic discipline of its own, it is aligned with a peripheral called carpentry. wooden-headed schmuck

HONESTLY, Nl would be a much saner place without bovine narcissistic debauched homosexuals like u. pukes angry

Ifyikillz:

Its obvious a lot of toddlers are on this thread, y u answer am
There's even building technology

Now, You _bastard son of a thousand fathers and a wobbly pussied commercial sex worker based in the dirtiest of slums in Ajegunle,I pity Your miserable and pathetic life.

You know absolutely nothing sad Kpangolo head grin

This link would be of help to Your empty coconut head »» www.aauekpoma.edu.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180&Itemid=285

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by fowowe411: 2:30pm On Jan 03, 2014
mrphysics:
why do u tink as if u hav nt passed thru d 4 corners of d university @ all. well this is NIGERIA, LOW DATA RATE AND ANYONE CAN SAY ANYTHING HE OR SHE WANTS. as for me my GEOPHYSICS, INDUSTRIAL PHYSICS OR CHEMISTRY, ASTRO PHYSICS AND SOLAR ENERGY PHYSICS IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME DAN D AFOREMENTIONED, goodluck read zoology dat u tink its nt important, wat is most important is DO U FULFILL UR PURPOSE ON UR COURSE OF STUDY, to me "what on earth is not PHYSICS"
Goodluck read Zoology? Agreed but that is not the issue here my brother,the question is "did jonathan became the president because he read Zoology? Hell no.
@Op as much as I get your points here,I still think you have presented it in a more mature way.The fact is no knowledge is a waste but truth must be told some courses aren't worth studying in Nigeria because there is low demand for them.Many people study various courses in Nigeria because they think they don't have any choice.Take philosophy for example a cointry like Nigeria has little demand for it when compared to a country like America.I will advise people to use their brain and not only heart when choosing except you aren't money driven like majority of us.

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Clickemmy: 2:35pm On Jan 03, 2014
The career prospects are: Fitness trainer, Gym instructor, Sports council chairman, refree,sports coach,commissional nd minister of sports, NFF, and Bolaji Abdullahi the current minister of sport did not read human kinetir or whatever wake up boy
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by ocholawealth(m): 2:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
Course of study does nt really matter much after graduation..., as there are many lawyers, pharmacist, dentist, economist, administrators, sociologist etc unemployed. The main issue in our entrepreneural driven age is jst for someone to acquire a university/poly education inorder to broaden his horizon in dealing with contemporary challenges.. All courses are as relevant as every other.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 2:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
RedBenson:

Excuse me! In that ur silly post, didnt u say anything aside what u listed? Did u in anyway include geology/other science-based courses? Anyways, u are not yet in school so u know little or nothing abt school. Good day!

The fact that I'm not yet in school doesn't mean my post does not make sense. You also are not yet a graduate so you do not have any after-school experience,then we are still in the same category considering this discussion!
Yes! I did say other things! I also said 'any course apart from the ones listed below will most likely be among them.

Read that and digest it then come back here to say whose post is silly!

hmmmmm. An undergraduate/graduate for that matter!

I can't help laughing out loud. cheesy
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by joywendy(f): 2:44pm On Jan 03, 2014
undecided Very[b]sensible[/b] thread! No degree is useless,...@op pls change ur backward mentality.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by promisechild(m): 2:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
fowowe411: Goodluck read Zoology? Agreed but that is not the issue here my brother,the question is "did jonathan became the president because he read Zoology? Hell no.
@Op as much as I get your points here,I still think you have presented it in a more mature way.The fact is no knowledge is a waste but truth must be told some courses aren't worth studying in Nigeria because there is low demand for them.Many people study various courses in Nigeria because they think they don't have any choice.Take philosophy for example a cointry like Nigeria has little demand for it when compared to a country like America.I will advise people to use their brain and not only heart when choosing except you aren't money driven like majority of us.
my bro what is the meaning of philosophy?

I guess u don't know the meaning and u are typing jagons that philosophy isn't a good course to study

Science and mathematics came to existence through philosophy

Philosophy is a course that broaden ones mind philosophers are natural enterprenuer

In the job prospect for a philosopher there is 92% job prospects for a philosopher in Nigeria.for instance there is no higher institution either coventional ones or non conventional ones that doesn't offer logic and philosophy as a course. who go teach them no be philosophers? that is there 96% job prospect for a philosopher in an educational sector ,a philosopher is also good at researching which is the main aim of philosophers they seek to find knowlege.

The likes of aristotle,socrates,charles darwin,plato including all those who invented one thing or the other were philosopher because they think beyond human reasoning.

Am a philosopher and I love my course because I know what you don't know about life.

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Kendzyma(m): 2:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Nairaland sa...smh
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by papindinho(m): 2:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh: I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.
perhaps you meant the most competitive courses though I agree with u on just 3 or 4 of the listed. Where do you put the management/administrative courses?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by papindinho(m): 2:57pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: my bro what is the meaning of philosophy?

I guess u don't know the meaning and u are typing jagons that philosophy isn't a good course to study

Science and mathematics came to existence through philosophy

Philosophy is a course that broaden ones mind philosophers are natural enterprenuer

In the job prospect for a philosopher there is 92% job prospects for a philosopher in Nigeria.for instance there is no higher institution either coventional ones or non conventional ones that doesn't offer logic and philosophy as a course. who go teach them no be philosophers? that is there 96% job prospect for a philosopher in an educational sector ,a philosopher is also good at researching which is the main aim of philosophers they seek to find knowlege.

The likes of aristotle,socrates,charles darwin,plato including all those who invented one thing or the other were philosopher because they think beyond human reasoning.

Am a philosopher and I love my course because I know what you don't know about life.
tell 'em o.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 03, 2014
sweet-tease:
Quantity Survey undecided its cringe worthy but i doubt if it is useless although i wonder what its used for.
omg.... you call qts cringe worthy..
you should have googled the course before commenting.
They are one of the most valuable member of a construction project team.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sikells(m): 3:01pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

Another dull person
So wat if am studying soil science??
What did your president study, even yar adua, both the current vc in my school and d immediate past vc are both from agricultural related fields, and so many other people too,
Are you in this age?
Cos if you are you wont ask me such a question

I should list mine, list what? Cos there's nothing to list.. I know a lot of people who studied so many courses dat u didn't list there and they are very successful...... Medicine, law, engineering, lol good courses, but u sounded like my illiterate grandpa
are they successful with d agric. they studied in skul?..or they changed to anoda field,which in the case of yaradua..politics
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by touchplay(m): 3:07pm On Jan 03, 2014
phredy: is lyk na shit de do me like dis o,wher is d Toilet pls?
. Hieee sowiε,,,,Run-walk 2 ur houx kitchen....n do it. Slowly eni wer der....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

JAMB Announces Date For 2019 Registration / Iyaje Abuma Shedrack: UNIJOS Student Stabbed To Death By Suspected Hoodlums / UNIABUJA Students That Died In Motor Accident (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.