Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,108 members, 7,977,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 10:09 PM

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (37961 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by grandstar(m): 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
I studied estate management and most of my colleagues are doing well today. The course enables you to establish on your own. Some courses are advantageous than others.The best degree however is self belief and knowledge that u know where you r going.

3 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by victorazy(m): 12:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
sweet-tease:
Quantity Survey undecided its cringe worthy but i doubt if it is useless although i wonder what its used for.

QS ur talking about! Wow they are the ones ontop after building engineers, we work together. They help quantify the cost of project for the client to over see before embarking on it, they r making moni.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

D dude probably just finished sec school, his mentality tells

Ooo, i just saw d part were he said newly admitted, thought as much,

@bolded, how are we sure he's even admitted? He sounds like a dunce. grin

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh: I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses
are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the
cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones
below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.

Whatever discipline u graduated from, i dont think you are in anyway better than some geologists, geophysicists and other science related courses i know of. Grow up!

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:
I insulted him, my bad
Buh i don't understand ur comment, did u read my post?
yes i did...you where talking about your vc and the past coming from agricultural fields...and someone was talking about the president studying zoology.....my example was trying to tell you that while no course is useless, some courses give you easier passage to a career than other courses.....so because a zoology graduate is the president and your vc is from the agricultural field doesnt make zoology more profitable than mechanical engineering in nigeria........that is if both graduates maximize their potentials and all things being equal...remember MAXIMIZE POTENTIAL
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
caye: 1. Russian
2. International relations
3. Agric econs and extension
4. Human kinetics
just go to UI. Dem plenty.
don't u think before posting? International relation and agriculture a useless course for u, and they both have a ministry created for it.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by agrovick(m): 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
What is this one saying? Remove agric econs from that list
4. Human kinetics
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 12:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
Rapmoney:

Now I see why so many people go to higher institutions without knowing what
they are going there to do. Who says you have studied a useless course if your
Course of study is not among the ones you listed. You are far behind, too ancient
and wasted!

haba! Read my post again Mr man. I never said any course was useless. It's what we all know that some courses give slimmer chance in the labour market! Isn't that simple enough. Haba! I give up on your level of understanding!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Xtaceeey: 12:53pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: ..so because a zoology graduate is the president and your vc is from the agricultural field doesnt make zoology more profitable than mechanical engineering in nigeria........that is if both graduates maximize their potentials and all things being equal...remember MAXIMIZE POTENTIAL

Ok we know u studied Mech Engr..

Does dat mak it d oly profitable course in nigeria? Wateva u do diligently maks u prosper. even if u studied agric. Der ar a lot mech engrs who ar nt making it too.. Or who can't pass numerical test easily..
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by toocoded: 12:53pm On Jan 03, 2014
4. Human kinetics
No offence oooo, buh ure very STVPID! Who says all these courses are useless? They might not be very marketable here in Nigeria but I wanna tell you that u should go to some countries even in Africa....SA, Bostwana and see how they are doing. The lucky ones here are also doing great in Naija. So ma dear, point of correction, no course is useless.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by AbuMikey(m): 12:53pm On Jan 03, 2014
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

is building a course ni? u must be high on methamphetamine.

If Your father is high on methamphetamine, does it make me high on Meth too? undecided

There is department of Building at AAU you _retarded arsehole angry

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
RedBenson:

@bolded, how are we sure he's even admitted? He sounds like a dunce. grin

haba! Read my post again Mr man. I never said any course was useless. It's what we all know that some courses give slimmer chance in the labour market! Isn't that simple enough. Haba! I give up on your level of understanding!

Now,who is the dunce here
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by moonlabelle: 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
I can't just understand the essence of this argument when under employment is the order of the day here in Nigeria,whether the course you studied in school is relevant in this modern society or not, that doesn't determine your chances of getting a job or the work environment in which you will find yourself. The most important thing is how intelligent you are,make a good grade ,and with God by your side,my dear you will go places! I pity anyone who studied the 'relevant' courses and made a 3rd class or a pass, na that time u go understand the true meaning of 'relevance'! Don't stay in a university environment and talk, labor market go teach you!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nigeriakan: 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
Leebliss13: Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?

You must be carrying the anatomy of an Iron Age ape. Grow up, semi-boi. You never know the prospects of African Languages. Ask Linguists Bamgbose, Banjo, Awobuluyi, B.O.A, etc what fortune they get from the British Council for researching into African languages.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by emekaxy: 12:58pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: Senseless and stupid post

Point of correction all courses offered in the university has it own usefulness do u think been a graduate is all about working under someone?
If ur thought is like that am sorry to tell you that u have missed the road.

No knowlege is a waste

See how people when study Theology they like this post......chai
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by freakcin: 12:59pm On Jan 03, 2014
What a way to start the new year.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Toks2008(m): 12:59pm On Jan 03, 2014
Just go to the university and attain a degree in any course then come out and get any good job by providence and maybe with connection or develop your talent.

SHIKENAH
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by haykins01(m): 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2014
RedBenson:

Whatever discipline u graduated from, i dont think you are in anyway better than some geologists, geophysicists and other science related courses i know of. Grow up!
Geologists,Geophysicists r hotcakes also..only say 4 futa ehn na die o....#Team Geology
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by SammyT95(m): 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pls no offnce
wots ''Remote sensing'' used for?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: yes i did...you where talking about your vc and the past coming from agricultural fields...and someone was talking about the president studying zoology.....my example was trying to tell you that while no course is useless, some courses give you easier passage to a career than other courses.....so because a zoology graduate is the president and your vc is from the agricultural field doesnt make zoology more profitable than mechanical engineering in nigeria........that is if both graduates maximize their potentials and all things being equal...remember MAXIMIZE POTENTIAL

No he was sounding like when we used to be kids "mum wen i grow up i want to be a doctor, engineer, pastor, lawyer",and dat some other courses are useless, then am like know, so many studied fishery and are millionaires,. U know when you are trying to shed light on an issue one need to use an example to buttress his point thats exactly what i did...
Cmon man, a former ceo of interswitch nigeria studied physics in abu zaria, did u c his list of " "reasonable" courses?, what does that tell you,?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 1:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
Xtaceeey:

Ok we know u studied Mech Engr..

Does dat mak it d oly profitable course in nigeria? Wateva u do diligently maks u prosper. even if u studied agric. Der ar a lot mech engrs who ar nt making it too.. Or who can't pass numerical test easily..
that is the problem........i have used mechanical engineering a lot in my descriptions...so you are right to think i studied it.......BUT I DID NOT......im a petroleum engineer.....i just know mechanical engineering is the most profitable engineering course in Nigeria....i dont care about the mechanical engineers roaming the street without jobs.....IF you have read all my posts you would know i am not condenming any course...DEFINITELY there is no 'USELESS' course....but i am talking about maximizing potential here....THE BEST MECHANICAL ENGINEERING graduating student in a school should get a higher paying job faster than the BEST ZOOLOGY student in that school...shikena....and yes i do know of exceptional cases...and that's it EXCEPTION....is that hard for any body to understand?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sholemania: 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2014
Love what you do and u will never have to work a day in your life..

I studied secretarial administration and I love what I do..

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by haykins01(m): 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
toocoded:
No offence oooo, buh ure very STVPID! Who says all these courses are useless? They might not be very marketable here in Nigeria but I wanna tell you that u should go to some countries even in Africa....SA, Bostwana and see how they are doing. The lucky ones here are also doing great in Naija. So ma dear, point of correction, no course is useless.
U b hmmmm my dear..So u know they r not marketable in Naija abi.,meaning afta graduation if i study any of dose courses listed above,i wil now travel 2 bostwana 2 luk 4 job?..and if am nt among d 'lucky ones' in Naija nkø?..ogbeni 4 yrs no b joke,if u wuld go to skul,let d stress b worth it..Come 2 Futa and know what stress is about..After d stress i wuld now travel to bostwana abi,oagadougou nkø?..infact u b hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abu Mikey:

If Your father is high on methamphetamine, does it make me high on Meth too? undecided

There is department of Building at AAU you _retarded arsehole angry

Its obvious a lot of toddlers are on this thread, y u answer am
There's even building technology
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by mvem(m): 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
Leebliss13: Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?
.....whats wrong studying a nigeria language....i know of a german linguist coming all the way to nigeria to study kanuri in the northeast zone and took some of the students to germany for further study.....
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2014
Degree of whichever is equal
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by emveepee: 1:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
This post is enough to see the problems we are facing today as a country. No course is a waste what you do with what you've been taught in school is what matters. Today is not much about what you studied, but what you can do and new things you can add irrespective of you having a 1st class or a third class. There are many people that studied the same course with you, but what differentiates you from others is what matters. There's more to learn after school and it determines how far you are going to go later in your chosen career.

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 1:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

No he was sounding like when we used to be kids "mum wen i grow up i want to be a doctor, engineer, pastor, lawyer",and dat some other courses are useless, then am like know, so many studied fishery and are millionaires,. U know when you are trying to shed light on an issue one need to use an example to buttress his point thats exactly what i did...
Cmon man, a former ceo of interswitch nigeria studied physics in abu zaria, did u c his list of " "reasonable" courses?, what does that tell you,?
lool.......it tells me the dude has his faults sha.......i rarely post on nairaland because of the insults...no time to indulge in that.....but im loving chatting with you cause even after you made the mistake of insulting...you corrected yourself....Maybe he didnt know the implications of listing 7 courses without a lot of 'profitable' courses among them...he didnt even mention geology, geophysics...lets say he was just too certain on the 7 courses....and yes he was like the 'mummy i want to be an engineer when i grow up' type
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by jaryeh(m): 1:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

Now,I can see that you have a very low level of understanding 'cos this is the exact opposite of the first sentence in my post!

You can now see who actually is the dull person here,you claim to be a graduate or undergraduate and still you could not understand that simple statement. I give up!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Olril18(m): 1:23pm On Jan 03, 2014
2buff: We all know those degrees in college/university that when someone you know says they are doing, you can't help but cringe inside because you just know they would likely regret it after they finish school because of it's grim employability prospects. Unless they eventually get sharp enough and divert to something else.

These degrees serve as nothing but a means for the university offering them to eat the money of their students and sell them false hopes detached from real-world needs.

One that comes to mind for me is "Womens Studies". For the obvious reason of, well come on, it's obvious cheesy
Which degree do you think is useless and why?
no degree/course is useless!!!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Oluwatola5(f): 1:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
The problem with Nigerians is that they lack the ability to think outside the box. I SMH whenever i tell people my course(Education and English Lang) and the question that pops out of their mouth is ''why were you given that course? Did you actually pick that course?''. Like seriously, the reason why unemployment is rampant is because of over-concentration on just particular courses of study.

Like seriously, if i didnt have parents who are learned, i guess i also would have been wallowing in this backward mentality of ''once you are a good Art student, go for Law''. When i think of the doors open to me through my course alone, i just laugh within me and say ''the end will justify the means''. Perhaps many dont know the kind of money educational consultants are earning per consultations just like the medical consultants or also the wide room opened which means a larger percentage will never go jobless for a moment. The life of Dolapo Ogunbawo tells it all about the education world.

The bottomline is that, know your worth, know the benefits of your course and go for it. Besides in the university, you get to borrow courses, all these are done to make you a rational thinker, not just thinking withing your field of study, you can as well try something else when your desire directs you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Emmyxclusive: 1:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
[quote author=jaryeh] I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.

where is computer science,info tech olodo,can u mention 5 richest people in the world that are doctors?? ask bill gates mark zukerberg,wosniak and the rest how the became billioniares

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools / Six Conditions Given To FG By ASUU Before Suspending Strike / Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.