Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,314 members, 7,887,959 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:55 PM

Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective (19429 Views)

Why Did India Get Banned From Football World Cup? / My Forecast For Ghana/nigeria Lotto 5/90 Games From 20-23 Jan. 2013 / Prediction: Ghana, Nigeria Will Win World Cup (Prophet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2014
otumfour: Till u fools, look deep within, u'll keep hoping for God to save that nation.

U know ur problems yet, una no go shut tha furk up and work on it, ur nations problems no be the doing of the leaders but its people.

Ur leaders steal una in broad day light and u find several animals on here bragging about them.

Which way naija?

All una know is complaining about other countries putting their house in order.

I will never respect such nigerians......

bytcharzz monkeys grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ghana can vanish from the picture now and y'all monkeys would turn against each other again..... grin grin, that country wasn't supposed to be merged.

nkwasiafour grin grin grin grin
grin such bunch of ediots grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Theben(m): 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2014
GH KWAME you're a bloody liar. I dare you to post the link to that forbes list. Accra Ghana african second best city to live in? Jeez grin grin grin grin. If the list is confirmed as true, I will stop taking anything forbes seriously.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by GHKWAME1: 10:34pm On Jan 08, 2014
Theben:
Go and die!

3 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 10:38pm On Jan 08, 2014
Theben: GH KWAME you're a bloody liar. I dare you to post the link to that forbes list. Accra Ghana african second best city to live in? Jeez grin grin grin grin. If the list is confirmed as true, I will stop taking anything forbes seriously.
hahahaha why not? Accra is clean and orderly, motorists obey traffic regulations including traffic lights and wardens, residents enjoy regular and reliable electricity, lives and properties are well secured, no incidents of people being kidnapped for a ransom of coke and gala grin residents can sleep with their two eyes closed knowing security is assured, unlike some cities elsewhere where armed robbers and criminals rule. grin

check this out : Accra tipped to be Africa's fastest growing city by 2020 - Report
http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201308/110937.php

I met a British guy who flew into Accra last night, he said flying in, he saw Accra as being five times as large as lagos- grin he meant the absence of electricity in lagos made Accra with lights all over seem like a being times bigger grin chei sufferhead dey ooh

read what one your mumu compatriots who was in Ghana a few days ago wrote below grin grin

A West African Journey (2): Nigeria And Her Neighbours Are Worlds Apart grin

By EJIRO BARRETT
http://nigerianobservernews.com/24122013/features/features2.html#.UsqjfSdtZiM

I just returned from a trip to Ghana, something that has become a regular escape for me from the chaos that is Nigeria most times. grin These visits have always been important lessons in contradictions. I have travelled through several towns and discovered that, between Ghana and Nigeria, there are similarities but the differences stand our more.

Along the West African coast, languages and traditional rites cut across national boundaries that are clearly artificial borderlines imposed by prevailing colonial tongues, and religious missions that are identified by their separate national metropolitan sponsors.

The difference in social attitudes have created several contradictions that are also immediately obvious across borders. What would instantly become apparent at first when one crosses the Nigerian border is the sense of organisation that welcomes; a clear contrast to the chaos that has become our trademark. grin grin grin grin the absence of smoke billowing trucks honking menacingly for the sole purpose of imposing fear to gain the advantage on highways; the absence of ramshackle police vehicles that look more like abandoned heaps of metal than vehicles intended for hot pursuits; the absence of police men kitted in faded uniforms; the absence of the complete chaos of Nigerian traffic jams- illustrated by the blatant disregard for traffic regulations; and the absence of filth that we seem to have learnt to live with in Nigeria, without bother. These are some of the differences that would become immediately obvious. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin There is also the conspicuous bohemian feel that the many street side cafes around Cotonou and Lome exude on cool evenings. I am always amazed at how, just a few hundred kilometres apart, we have managed to remain light years apart in attitudes. I am not talking about the cultural nuances created by the different colonial experiences but the contradictions in temperament and civility. I guess serious research is needed to understand that.
I have mentioned the differences that would strike any visitor who crosses the Nigeria-Benin border, but there is a dangerous virus that I observe has infected all sides with equal devastation; corruption. Do not be fooled, Nigerian officials at border posts may be known for fleecing without fear, but the Togolese and Beninois officials seem even worse. In these countries you do not argue with the set rules: I guess this plays out in their subterranean dealings just as much as it does in their official duties.

The contrast is mind boggling. The average Togolese or Beninois police officer- neatly dressed and whistle at the ready- seems the perfect picture of conscientiousness, and they are- most of the time. When encountered, their sense of commitment is immediately apparent. They carry out searches and ask the necessary questions with stern expressions that betray their preference for routine. However, it is with this same unyielding deportment that they demand set fees for no known reason. Drive through the border posts and check points in these countries and the persistence with which these demands are made rankles. At some of these checkpoints, the officers simply plead for a small cash gift; they do not insist but are quite persistent in their pleas, but they let you go if all documents are in order. In other checkpoints, however, they do not care much for your documents. They demand anything between 300 and 1000 CFA (between 20 and 400 Naira).

These acts notwithstanding, I still believe there is a lot that our security agencies can learn from these countries. The Beninois and Togolese security officials seem a lot more dedicated to their jobs than ours in Nigeria. At every turn, their presence is clearly evident and they seem to have done a good job at keeping their cities safe without the high handed tactics for which our security officers back home are known.

Beyond Nigeria, Republic of Benin, and Togo, Ghana is a world apart. grin grin grin I have travelled around the world quite a bit and I must admit that Ghanaian police officers are among the most civil I have met anywhere. grin I cannot remember the last time a police officer in Nigeria started a sentence with ‘please’ or ended with ‘have a good day’, so my shock at hearing this regularly in Ghana should not come as a surprise. The officers of the Ghanaian Police Service seem an aberration in these parts. I have been here four times and have never witnessed an altercation between a police officer and a civilian, not once: something that is so regular in Nigeria that it appears to be the norm. I watched as police officers took notes and measurements at an accident scene on the highway and controlled traffic. They had already evacuated victims and were controlling traffic flow. We had been informed of the accident about two miles before the scene and were advised to drive carefully. I saw this last in Nigeria in the seventies. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The sight of policemen displaying horse whips and ordering people to roll in puddles or pulling traffic offenders by their shirts and striking them in public appears an oddity here grin grin. When you commit a traffic offence here, the policeman actually pulls you over, explains your offence and, if you are a first time offender, let’s you go with just a warning and no greasing of palms- if that happens I have never witnessed it, I must confess. Coming from Nigeria, it is surprising to see this. I guess this emanates from the impressive simplicity and civility of the Ghanaian character. grin grin grin In all my visits here Ghanaians have been wonderful hosts who go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed.

Regardless of its challenges, Ghana remains a good example from which we can learn important lessons.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Jiggaman101: 10:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
Theben: GH KWAME you're a bloody liar. I dare you to post the link to that forbes list. Accra Ghana african second best city to live in? Jeez grin grin grin grin. If the list is confirmed as true, I will stop taking anything forbes seriously.

He is not lying, this is the link

http://www.africa.com/blog/the_top_10_most_liveable_cities_in_africa/

3 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Theben(m): 4:35am On Jan 09, 2014
Jigga_man101:

He is not lying, this is the link

http://www.africa.com/blog/the_top_10_most_liveable_cities_in_africa/
And how is the list a forbes list?
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by timilehin007(m): 1:32pm On Jan 09, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahaha why not? Accra is clean and orderly, motorists obey traffic regulations including traffic lights and wardens, residents enjoy regular and reliable electricity, lives and properties are well secured, no incidents of people being kidnapped for a ransom of coke and gala grin residents can sleep with their two eyes closed knowing security is assured, unlike some cities elsewhere where armed robbers and criminals rule. grin.
http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201308/110937.php.
Guys this link posted by the e-diot petroldullard really worth opening u'd see his level of denseness is absolutely out of this world

check this out : Accra tipped to be Africa's fastest growing city by 2020 - Report
http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201308/110937.php

I met a British guy who flew into Accra last night, he said flying in, he saw Accra as being five times as large as lagos- grin he meant the absence of electricity in lagos made Accra with lights all over seem like a being times bigger grin chei sufferhead dey ooh

read what one your mumu compatriots who was in Ghana a few days ago wrote below grin grin

A West African Journey (2): Nigeria And Her Neighbours Are Worlds Apart grin

By EJIRO BARRETT
http://nigerianobservernews.com/24122013/features/features2.html#.UsqjfSdtZiM

I just returned from a trip to Ghana, something that has become a regular escape for me from the chaos that is Nigeria most times. grin These visits have always been important lessons in contradictions. I have travelled through several towns and discovered that, between Ghana and Nigeria, there are similarities but the differences stand our more.

Along the West African coast, languages and traditional rites cut across national boundaries that are clearly artificial borderlines imposed by prevailing colonial tongues, and religious missions that are identified by their separate national metropolitan sponsors.

The difference in social attitudes have created several contradictions that are also immediately obvious across borders. What would instantly become apparent at first when one crosses the Nigerian border is the sense of organisation that welcomes; a clear contrast to the chaos that has become our trademark. grin grin grin grin the absence of smoke billowing trucks honking menacingly for the sole purpose of imposing fear to gain the advantage on highways; the absence of ramshackle police vehicles that look more like abandoned heaps of metal than vehicles intended for hot pursuits; the absence of police men kitted in faded uniforms; the absence of the complete chaos of Nigerian traffic jams- illustrated by the blatant disregard for traffic regulations; and the absence of filth that we seem to have learnt to live with in Nigeria, without bother. These are some of the differences that would become immediately obvious. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin There is also the conspicuous bohemian feel that the many street side cafes around Cotonou and Lome exude on cool evenings. I am always amazed at how, just a few hundred kilometres apart, we have managed to remain light years apart in attitudes. I am not talking about the cultural nuances created by the different colonial experiences but the contradictions in temperament and civility. I guess serious research is needed to understand that.
I have mentioned the differences that would strike any visitor who crosses the Nigeria-Benin border, but there is a dangerous virus that I observe has infected all sides with equal devastation; corruption. Do not be fooled, Nigerian officials at border posts may be known for fleecing without fear, but the Togolese and Beninois officials seem even worse. In these countries you do not argue with the set rules: I guess this plays out in their subterranean dealings just as much as it does in their official duties.

The contrast is mind boggling. The average Togolese or Beninois police officer- neatly dressed and whistle at the ready- seems the perfect picture of conscientiousness, and they are- most of the time. When encountered, their sense of commitment is immediately apparent. They carry out searches and ask the necessary questions with stern expressions that betray their preference for routine. However, it is with this same unyielding deportment that they demand set fees for no known reason. Drive through the border posts and check points in these countries and the persistence with which these demands are made rankles. At some of these checkpoints, the officers simply plead for a small cash gift; they do not insist but are quite persistent in their pleas, but they let you go if all documents are in order. In other checkpoints, however, they do not care much for your documents. They demand anything between 300 and 1000 CFA (between 20 and 400 Naira).

These acts notwithstanding, I still believe there is a lot that our security agencies can learn from these countries. The Beninois and Togolese security officials seem a lot more dedicated to their jobs than ours in Nigeria. At every turn, their presence is clearly evident and they seem to have done a good job at keeping their cities safe without the high handed tactics for which our security officers back home are known.

Beyond Nigeria, Republic of Benin, and Togo, Ghana is a world apart. grin grin grin I have travelled around the world quite a bit and I must admit that Ghanaian police officers are among the most civil I have met anywhere. grin I cannot remember the last time a police officer in Nigeria started a sentence with ‘please’ or ended with ‘have a good day’, so my shock at hearing this regularly in Ghana should not come as a surprise. The officers of the Ghanaian Police Service seem an aberration in these parts. I have been here four times and have never witnessed an altercation between a police officer and a civilian, not once: something that is so regular in Nigeria that it appears to be the norm. I watched as police officers took notes and measurements at an accident scene on the highway and controlled traffic. They had already evacuated victims and were controlling traffic flow. We had been informed of the accident about two miles before the scene and were advised to drive carefully. I saw this last in Nigeria in the seventies. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The sight of policemen displaying horse whips and ordering people to roll in puddles or pulling traffic offenders by their shirts and striking them in public appears an oddity here grin grin. When you commit a traffic offence here, the policeman actually pulls you over, explains your offence and, if you are a first time offender, let’s you go with just a warning and no greasing of palms- if that happens I have never witnessed it, I must confess. Coming from Nigeria, it is surprising to see this. I guess this emanates from the impressive simplicity and civility of the Ghanaian character. grin grin grin In all my visits here Ghanaians have been wonderful hosts who go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed.

Regardless of its challenges, Ghana remains a good example from which we can learn important lessons.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Petrodolla now I know how datf nd retard u are..u just saw d headings nd didn't bother to read the body of that article u copied the link, u just pasted here it...if u actually read it u would see dat ghana is still a dreamer 2020 of which presently Lagos dat u condemning still ranks 2nd best nd develop city in africa..nd inside dat article it still says Lagos possess most of the millionaires in africa...I huge u guys to read it...

Ghana's capital, Accra, has been tipped to be the fastest growing city for Africa millionaires starting from the end of 2012 to the year 2020.

According to the annual New World Wealth update report which was released on Monday, August 5,2013, the number of millionaires in Accra is projected to grow by 8 per cent a year.

Durban in South Africa would have the fastest growth in South Africa at 3.7 per cent, while seven other cities will grow millionaires faster than it.

Johannesburg topped the list with 23,000 millionaires at the end of 2012, followed by Cairo with 12,000 millionaires and Lagos with 9,800 millionaires respectively.

The city of Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial nerve centre currently ranks third in the league of cities with the highest number of millionaires in Africa, a report by the Oxford-based wealth consulting firm has said.

Lagos which is also widely acknowledged as the most populous city in Nigeria, the second fastest growing city in Africa and the seventh fastest growing city in the world, equally commands a huge presence of people from diverse cultures and race.

The city's prosperity has been attributed to its diversity coupled with superfluous natural and human resources as well as a huge quantum of daily commercial activities and transactions, especially from the sea ports and other high turn over business ventures.

Next time petroldullard..read b4 u post u are still dreaming nd not all dreams come through..Lagos presently 7TH fastest growing city in the world 2nd in africa..
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by CrudeGH: 2:31pm On Jan 09, 2014
[s]
timilehin007:

Petrodolla now I know how datf nd retard u are..u just saw d headings nd didn't bother to read the body of that article u copied the link, u just pasted here it...if u actually read it u would see dat ghana is still a dreamer 2020 of which presently Lagos dat u condemning still ranks 2nd best nd develop city in africa..nd inside dat article it still says Lagos possess most of the millionaires in africa...I huge u guys to read it...

Ghana's capital, Accra, has been tipped to be the fastest growing city for Africa millionaires starting from the end of 2012 to the year 2020.

According to the annual New World Wealth update report which was released on Monday, August 5,2013, the number of millionaires in Accra is projected to grow by 8 per cent a year.

Durban in South Africa would have the fastest growth in South Africa at 3.7 per cent, while seven other cities will grow millionaires faster than it.

Johannesburg topped the list with 23,000 millionaires at the end of 2012, followed by Cairo with 12,000 millionaires and Lagos with 9,800 millionaires respectively.

The city of Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial nerve centre currently ranks third in the league of cities with the highest number of millionaires in Africa, a report by the Oxford-based wealth consulting firm has said.

Lagos which is also widely acknowledged as the most populous city in Nigeria, the second fastest growing city in Africa and the seventh fastest growing city in the world, equally commands a huge presence of people from diverse cultures and race.

The city's prosperity has been attributed to its diversity coupled with superfluous natural and human resources as well as a huge quantum of daily commercial activities and transactions, especially from the sea ports and other high turn over business ventures.

Next time petroldullard..read b4 u post u are still dreaming nd not all dreams come through..Lagos presently 7TH fastest growing city in the world 2nd in africa..
[/s] arrant crap
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by timilehin007(m): 2:36pm On Jan 09, 2014
[quote author=CrudeGH][s][/s] arrant crap[/quote
Petrodolla now I know how datf nd slowpoke u
are..u just saw d headings nd didn't bother to read
the body of that article u copied the link, u just
pasted here it...if u actually read it u would see
dat ghana is still a dreamer 2020 of which
presently Lagos dat u condemning still ranks 2nd
best nd develop city in africa..nd inside dat article
it still says Lagos possess most of the
millionaires in africa...I huge u guys to read it...
Ghana's capital, Accra, has been tipped to be the
fastest growing city for Africa millionaires starting
from the end of 2012 to the year 2020.
According to the annual New World Wealth update
report which was released on Monday, August
5,2013, the number of millionaires in Accra is
projected to grow by 8 per cent a year.
Durban in South Africa would have the fastest
growth in South Africa at 3.7 per cent, while seven
other cities will grow millionaires faster than it.
Johannesburg topped the list with 23,000
millionaires at the end of 2012, followed by Cairo
with 12,000 millionaires and Lagos with 9,800
millionaires respectively.
The city of Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial nerve
centre currently ranks third in the league of cities
with the highest number of millionaires in Africa,
a report by the Oxford-based wealth consulting
firm has said.
Lagos which is also widely acknowledged as the
most populous city in Nigeria, the second fastest
growing city in Africa and the seventh fastest
growing city in the world, equally commands a
huge presence of people from diverse cultures
and race.
The city's prosperity has been attributed to its
diversity coupled with superfluous natural and
human resources as well as a huge quantum of
daily commercial activities and transactions,
especially from the sea ports and other high turn
over business ventures.
Next time petroldullard..read b4 u post u are still
dreaming nd not all dreams come through..Lagos
presently 7TH fastest growing city in the world
2nd in africa..

If it hurt you that much .:
Take a map
Get a car
Drive to hell
Have a nice trip
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Greenbuoy(m): 11:26pm On Jan 09, 2014
N o n s e n s e
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Greenbuoy(m): 11:38pm On Jan 09, 2014
N o n s e n s e
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by fyomer: 9:51am On Jan 10, 2014
Hhm-hhm am back again,the simple truth is that Ghanians envy Nigerians a lot.If you want to know,just take a trip down to that country listen to the radio,though its always in TWI their popular language(national o)the most thing you hear them talking is ANAGO meaning NIGERIANS this Nigerians that.
Again,on their national TV,this time in english,cause i guess the person involve cannot speak TWI or they really want the massage to sink well.
Micheal Essien,and some other stood round Emmanuel Adebayo(during his glorious years )saying"im not a Nigerian,am a Togolese my parents are bla blah blah,i dont have anything to do with Nigeria therefore people should stop calling me a Nigerian".and they cheered him.
i pray he remain a TOGOLESE.

I ask myself,it seems this people are jobless,for stuping down so low,could it be that their media has ran out of ideas?
When you get to them at first,they start telling you how nice and hopitable they are,truly,you see them been nice,as u get closer,thinking u;ve gotten a friend, the next you hear is NIG this NIG that,tu face got 5 cars and why should that be?,Nijas are too proud,all the light skined actresses in nollywood was as a result of overbleaching(it now downed on me that 98%are very dark,the light skin ones are mixed)blah blah blah,i begin to wonder how to face new sermons on daily bases,are these friends or foes,could it be that they always ran out of ideas if it got to do with Nigeria.
If you want to know the level of envy:GO TO GHANA AND WATCH NIG MATCH.Growing up,i remember my brothers jubilating on any GHANA winning match,and if i ask why,the reply is GHANS are our brothers,if not NIG IT SHOULD BE GHANA.

Nigerians,yes our country is full of coruption,talents, brains,hardworking men and women.name it .I believe we will laugh out well someday.
Ghanians,we are nice,our country is just perfct ok, but pls stop beefing.Critrrials are everly available.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Jiggaman101: 9:59am On Jan 10, 2014
fyomer: Hhm-hhm am back again,the simple truth is that Ghanians envy Nigerians a lot.If you want to know,just take a trip down to that country listen to the radio,though its always in TWI their popular language(national o)the most thing you hear them talking is ANAGO meaning NIGERIANS this Nigerians that.
Again,on their national TV,this time in english,cause i guess the person involve cannot speak TWI or they really want the massage to sink well.
Micheal Essien,and some other stood round Emmanuel Adebayo(during his glorious years )saying"im not a Nigerian,am a Togolese my parents are bla blah blah,i dont have anything to do with Nigeria therefore people should stop calling me a Nigerian".and they cheered him.
i pray he remain a TOGOLESE.

I ask myself,it seems this people are jobless,for stuping down so low,could it be that their media has ran out of ideas?
When you get to them at first,they start telling you how nice and hopitable they are,truly,you see them been nice,as u get closer,thinking u;ve gotten a friend, the next you hear is NIG this NIG that,tu face got 5 cars and why should that be?,Nijas are too proud,all the light skined actresses in nollywood was as a result of overbleaching(it now downed on me that 98%are very dark,the light skin ones are mixed)blah blah blah,i begin to wonder how to face new sermons on daily bases,are these friends or foes,could it be that they always ran out of ideas if it got to do with Nigeria.
If you want to know the level of envy:GO TO GHANA AND WATCH NIG MATCH.Growing up,i remember my brothers jubilating on any GHANA winning match,and if i ask why,the reply is GHANS are our brothers,if not NIG IT SHOULD BE GHANA.

Nigerians,yes our country is full of coruption,talents, brains,hardworking men and women.name it .I believe we will laugh out well someday.
Ghanians,we are nice,our country is just perfct ok, but pls stop beefing.Critrrials are everly available.

Bullshit, Nigerians are without faults. Go through this thread you will see more Nigerian vs nigerian hatred more so than what one will ever experience in Ghana. Look how y'all kill each other because of religion and tribal difference.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by tck2000(m): 11:13am On Jul 20, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Tanko Nuru Dies In His Hotel Room / Football Buffs To Nigerians : Don’t Lose Hope In Super Eagles / Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.