Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,308 members, 7,887,906 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:12 PM

Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective (19427 Views)

Why Did India Get Banned From Football World Cup? / My Forecast For Ghana/nigeria Lotto 5/90 Games From 20-23 Jan. 2013 / Prediction: Ghana, Nigeria Will Win World Cup (Prophet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:21am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahaha I am going to throw up tongue nigerians are the poison of the world tongue pervert, violent, drug dealers, uneducated bastardz grin

nigerians are a problem everywhere. everybody else in the world can't be wrong! grin genocidal fagg0ts living in a primitive sh1thole grin
The incestuous pervert is on loose again.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:25am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahaha this can only come from a citizen of the federal republic of foooooooooooooooooooooooooools grin http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/nigeria-a-nation-of-160million-fools/ sh1tnigeria hahahahah fuckeduppedness grin
The attache fool goes all day surfing the internet to get gibberish articles about Nigeria.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:29am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: The british kept their livestocks in Ghana? hahahaha sh1tnigeria must have been their toilet then

The Toilet Named Nigeria grin grin grin
http://washafrica./2011/07/12/the-toilet-named-nigeria/

In his latest column, government critic and Professor of Creative Writing at Trinity College (USA) Okey Ndibe, voices his disgust at the practice of open defecation in his homeland Nigeria.

If you want to gauge how badly Nigerians have been animalized, then pay attention to how, and where, many of them defecate. Just recently, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) reported that 33 million Nigerians have no access to decent toilets. As a consequence, said the report, these citizens of Africa’s most populous nation answer the call of nature in the open.

Is it really only 33 million Nigerians? One is afraid that here’s one occasion when statisticians have pegged the figure too low. Nigeria – as I wrote three years ago – may be described as one vast toilet. Anybody who has traveled from Lagos to Onitsha by road knows that there isn’t one single rest area with toilet facilities along the route. At stops in Ore or Benin City, pressed passengers must hurry off into the brushes, gingerly skating around others’ feces, in order to relieve themselves.

In Ndibe’s eyes the “habit of doing in public what ought to be done in private” points to a deep cultural crisis.

Long habituated to inhuman conditions, many Nigerians have ceased noticing those peeing or defecating in the open. Or, when we notice, too many of us have lost our sense of outrage at the oddity. Public acts of pissing and defecation have become – more or less – normal, part and parcel of our social experience and landscape.

Open defecation in Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria. Photo: Kola Aliyu / PM News

The associated health risks of Nigeria’s insanitary conditions have made Ndibe feel uneasy about shaking hands.

For me, it’s often a dilemma. I know how scandalous it would be to refuse to offer one’s hand. Yet, I can’t help wondering where the hands I shake have been, and whether they’ve been washed.

Ndibe retells an revealing anecdote about local government staff who staunchly opposed a plan to build staff toilets. They told the local government administrator to “just give them a share of the public funds – and to leave it up to them to decide on toilet matters”.

Exactly! The british kept all their livestocks in gayna during colonial era. One begins to wonder why gaynaians reason like animals. Y'all are smelly swines!

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:30am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
The incestuous pervert is on loose again.
hahahaha son of a -fvcked baztard mor0n, you better go jump off a cliff or take a gas shower, ediot!

depraved, sh11ty, deluded lunatic. walahi, sh1tnigeria is a crazy asylum filled with lunatics of every persuasion

Jeez, they even eat from the dustbin! grin http://ugowrite..com/2011/04/nigeria-meal-from-dustbin-in-lagos.html

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:31am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: what is this mumu modafaka saying? of course it is an insult to compare Ghana with sh1tnigeria. you should be comparing your dustbin country with sh1tholes like Somalia,huh? you guys already have a lot in common with somalia. both sh1tholes are the epi centres of piracy around the world. both sh1tholes are failed dustbin countries grin grin grin

MUMU country grin
But wait oh who knows gayna?
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:34am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
The attache fool goes all day surfing the internet to get gibberish claims about Nigeria. Mister quit attaching, we're not your mate!
hahahahaha you are looking for mates? hahahahaha Mr.MUMU, you better be looking at countries like Somalia- another failed state. every african country is making progress except the world's acclaimed sh1thole! grin boko haram in the north, militants in the SS, robbers, ritualists in the southeast, armed robbers in the SW!

what a sh1thole grin sh1tnigeria

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:34am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahaha son of a -fvcked baztard mor0n, you better go jump off a cliff or take a gas shower, ediot!

depraved, sh11ty, deluded lunatic. walahi, sh1tnigeria is a crazy asylum filled with lunatics of every persuasion

Jeez, they even eat from the dustbin! grin http://ugowrite..com/2011/04/nigeria-meal-from-dustbin-in-lagos.html
Gaynaians are our servants. Tell me more about my country. The incestuous fool knows heaven and earth about Nigeria, whilst I don't even know who their number1 citizen is.
Who's the famzer here?
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Greenbuoy(m): 12:36am On Jan 08, 2014
N o n s e n s e
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:37am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
But wait o who knows MUMUDOM? grin
you must be string out on a hallucinogenic drug. you suffering and smiling MUMUs are trooping to Ghana like pilgrims going to Mecca grin nigeria jagajaga nigeria jagajaga grin

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:37am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahahaha you are looking for mates? hahahahaha Mr.MUMU, you better be looking at countries like Somalia- another failed state. every african country is making progress except the world's acclaimed sh1thole! grin boko haram in the north, militants in the SS, robbers, ritualists in the southeast, armed robbers in the SW!

what a sh1thole grin sh1tnigeria
LoOL you see! You're now getting my points, y'all are our servants. You know our regions, lecture me more about my country.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2014
Greenbuoy: We are just too sophisticated for these shoe-makers! in terms of 'positives', dis nation is as tall as the tower of Pisa and our noisy neighbour is at the base like letter Zee..now, tlkin about 'negatives' , make we just unleash 1 or 2 gangs of robbers on the charcoal nation and see whether dem RUDE BWOIZ nor go suck dem dry
you have the brain of a 5-month-old ape. ts all gloom and doom in your modafaking sh1thole. 90% surviving on less than $2 a dsay. life expectancy is 52 years? and people even eat from the dustbin? Jeez, I give up grin

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:40am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: you must be string out on a hallucinogenic drug. you suffering and smiling MUMUs are trooping to Ghana like pilgrims going to Mecca grin nigeria jagajaga nigeria jagajaga grin
you're now geTting my points. Now let's go real, there are 3 Nigerians in the british parliament. Tell mee who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:42am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
LoOL you see! You're now getting my points, y'all are our servants. You know our regions, lecture me more about my country.
foooool talking rubbish is in your blood,huh? foooolish goat. revel in the horribleness of your sh1thole,huh? narrow-minded, miserable people with a huge inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:43am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahaha son of a -fvcked baztard mor0n, you better go jump off a cliff or take a gas shower, ediot!

Nigerians are tropping into your country to develop it, the last time I checked your hell on earth gayna had only one city.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:46am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
you're now geTting my points. Now let's go real, there are 3 Nigerians in the british parliament. Tell mee who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large.
hahahahaha I can see that talking rubbish truly is embedded in your DNA. so having 3 nigerians in the brit parliament is an achievement? so how come those guys opted to go to the brit parliament, and not the one in sh1tnigeria? hahahahah won't be surprised if you tell me the guy who wipes the Queen's azz is also a mumugerian grin such inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:50am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
Nigerians are tropping into your country to develop it, the last time I checked your hell on earth gayna had only one city.
hahahahaha develop wetin? hahahahaha have you mumus finished developing your sh1thole? ever heard the expression charity begins from home. hahahah at least Ghana has a city. sh1tnigeria has only a half city

hahahahahahah sh1tnigeria is cursed ediot hahahaha you have oil and gas and yet can't produce electricity for you suffering/smiling animals?

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:51am On Jan 08, 2014
grin
PetroDolla2: hahahahaha I can see that talking rubbish truly is embedded in your DNA. so having 3 nigerians in the brit parliament is an achievement? so how come those guys opted to go to the brit parliament, and not the one in sh1tnigeria? hahahahah won't be surprised ifs you tell me the guy who wipes the Queen's azz is also a mumugerian grin such inferiority complex
The frustrated burnt offering is beginning to comprehend. And I repeat 'there are 3 Nigerians in the british parliament, show me or rather tell me who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large'.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:54am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize: grin
The frustrated burnt offering is beginning to comprehend. And I repeat 'there are 3 Nigerians in the british parliament, show me or rather tell me who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large'.

crass crap

Sh1thead for life grin
Dirty, ugly pig grin grin

empty barrels make the most noise grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:54am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: hahahahaha develop wetin? hahahahaha have you mumus finished developing your sh1thole? ever heard the expression charity begins from home. hahahah at least Ghana has a city. sh1tnigeria has only a half city

hahahahahahah sh1tnigeria is cursed ediot hahahaha you have oil and gas and yet can't produce electricity for you suffering/smiling animals?
The fool is beginning to speak my language. Philip emeguali is one of the founders of internet in the world, show me or tell mee who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 12:58am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
The fool is beginning to speak my language. Philip emeguali is one of the founders of internet in the world, show me or tell mee who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large.

This is a world crime to humanity also practiced by other parts of Nigeria.
In Lagos General Hospitals, human parts are freely sold by mortuary attendants grin. Also in lagos State General Hospitals, accident victims with their hearts still pumping are suffocated and their hearts and liver and sold to mafias in Europe for $10,000.00 and $12,000.00 grin respectively T[b]he pure water you all drink in Lagos, especially Lagos
mainland, Ikoyi and VI are all freezed in the mortuary of the general hospitals done
side by side with corpses.[/b] grin grin The attendants buy the pure water in thousands of sacks,
freeze them in their mortuary and sell to dealers. This is their private business. Even inside Jankara market, Lagos, human parts are being sold. Some of them get their supplies from the Mortuaries inside Lagos and some are obtained from paid kidnappers grin who are mainly Alayes and Omoles.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:58am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: [i][/i] crass crap

Sh1thead for life grin
Dirty, ugly pig grin grin

empty barrels make the most noise grin grin grin
The mugger has being frustrated by mee. Dangote has the second largest sugar refinery in the world and the largest in Africa. Show mee or tell me who has achieved that in gayna and Africa at large.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 12:59am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2:

In Lagos General Hospitals, human parts are freely sold by mortuary attendants grin. Also in lagos State General Hospitals, accident victims with their hearts still pumping are suffocated and their hearts and liver and sold to mafias in Europe for $10,000.00 and $12,000.00 grin respectively T[b]he pure water you all drink in Lagos, especially Lagos
mainland, Ikoyi and VI are all freezed in the mortuary of the general hospitals done
side by side with corpses.[/b] grin grin The attendants buy the pure water in thousands of sacks,
freeze them in their mortuary and sell to dealers. This is their private business. Even inside Jankara market, Lagos, human parts are being sold. Some of them get their supplies from the Mortuaries inside Lagos and some are obtained from paid kidnappers grin who are mainly Alayes and Omoles.
The stupid irritating drunk is spewing jargons grin
PetroDolla2:

The stupid irritating drunk is spewing jargons. Answer the questions above or bounce!

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 1:02am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
The mugger has being frustrated by mee. Dangote has the second largest sugar refinery in the world and the largest in Africa. Show mee or tell me who has achieved that in gayna and Africa at large.
talking rubbish from his AnUs, as usual,huh? grin bla bla bla how has having a sugar factory stopped your country from being a sh1thole?

hahahahah only in sh1tnigeria that one gets to see such horrific scenes. hahahahah a zoo called sh1tnigeria shocked cool https://www.nairaland.com/1314695/it-only-zoo-called-nigeria

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 1:05am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: talking rubbish from his AnUs, as usual,huh? grin bla bla bla how has having a sugar factory stopped your country from being a sh1thole?

hahahahah only in sh1tnigeria that one gets to see such horrific sceneshttps://www.nairaland.com/1314695/it-only-zoo-called-nigeria
Another pointless guff! Answer the questions above or go to hell. Mister stop comparing Nigeria and gayna or have your ass whipped always.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 1:10am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
Another pointless guff! Answer the questions above or go to hell. Mister stop comparing Nigeria and gayna or have your ass whipped always.

a frustrated sh1thead! It wasn’t Ghana’s fault that your dustbin country is a sh1thole,huh? why blame Ghana/Ghanaians for the frustration of being tethered to a failed state? grin sh1tnigeria we hail oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I dey laugh ooo roforoforoforofo grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 1:12am On Jan 08, 2014
Petrodolla answer my questions! LOOL
Like I told you some time last wEek you're no match for mee.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 1:14am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2:

a frustrated sh1thead! It wasn’t Ghana’s fault that your dustbin country is a sh1thole,huh? why blame Ghana/Ghanaians for the frustration of being tethered to a failed state? grin sh1tnigeria we hail oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I dey laugh ooo roforoforoforofo grin grin
The odious love-vendor is yet to get mee properly. I repeat
Dangote has the second largest sugar refinery in the world and the largest in Africa. Show mee or tell me who has achieved that in gayna and Africa at large..
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 1:20am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize: Petrodolla answer my questions! LOOL
Like I told you some time last wEek yo You're no match for mee.
you, ask me questions? hahahaha how can you ask me questions when you are my slave? hahahaha but slave, I have a very simple question for you,huh? I have heard a lot about sh1tnigeria having lots of baby factories. what exactly are baby factories in your sh1thole? http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/08/nigerian-baby-factories-bring-profits-and-pain/ hahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 1:25am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: you, ask me questions? hahahaha how can you ask me questions when you are my slave? hahahaha but slave, I have a very simple question for you,huh? I have heard a lot about sh1tnigeria having lots of baby factories. what exactly are baby factories in your sh1thole? http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/08/nigerian-baby-factories-bring-profits-and-pain/ hahahahahaha

You're my number2 slave after sweetcheeks.

Philip emeguali is one of the founders of internet in the world, show me or tell mee who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 1:28am On Jan 08, 2014
iconize:
You're my number 1 slave after sweetcheeks.

Philip emeguali is one of the founders of internet in the world, show me or tell mee who has achieved that feat in gayna and Africa at large
Crap, you reek of crass stvpidity! A blood sucking demon, an azzhole, a deluded lunatic! You see your country is an asylum filled with lunatics!

hahahahaha your philip sh1t is a fraud? slave, produce evidence that he foundsed sh1t, mugu ediot

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by iconize(m): 1:30am On Jan 08, 2014
PetroDolla2: Crap, you reek of crass stvpidity! A blood sucking demon, an azzhole, a deluded lunatic! You see your country is an asylum filled with lunatics!

hahahahaha your philip sh1t is a fraud? slave, produce evidence that he foundsed sh1t, mugu ediot
The love-vendor has being frustrated by mee. Dangote has the second largest sugar refinery in the world and the largest in Africa. Show mee or tell me who has achieved that in gayna and Africa at large.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by PetroDolla2: 1:35am On Jan 08, 2014
How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
http://saharareporters.com/report/how-philip-emeagwali-lied-his-way-fame

Philip Emeagwali stirs up diverse emotions in Nigerians, Africans, and black people around the world. His claim of being a father of the Internet, of having invented the Connection Machine, of possessing 41patented inventions, of winning “the Nobel Prize of Computing” and of being a “doctor” and/or “professor” have been conclusively debunked with widely documented evidence.

Fraudulent claims help Emeagwali get on the Nigerian N50 postal stamp

Yet, the figure of Emeagwali as a black scientific, engineering, and information technology genius and pioneer continues to loom large over discussions of black achievement. The legend of Philip Emeagwali’s purported inventions, widely proven to emanate from the perverse deceptive genius of the man himself, endures and proliferates among Nigerian and black groups around the world.

Only recently, the USAfricadialogue googlegroups listserv managed by Professor Toyin Falola of the University of Texas hosted a discussion on Philip Emeagwali’s vast fraud. Participants in the discussion included Nigerian and African intellectuals, scientists, engineers, and IT professionals. Overall, the discussion reinforced and reiterated one of the worst kept secrets in the Nigerian Diaspora, especially in its online community: that none of Emeagwali’s highfalutin claims, on whose strength he has curried and continues to curry favor and recognition from gullible and hero-hungry black people, is true. Yet, just a few days ago, one of Nigeria’s more visible dailies, The Vanguard, included the academic and intellectual fraud in its list of 20 “most influential Nigerians.” Curiously, unlike previous Nigerian publications and profiles on Mr. Emeagwali, the biographical write-up accompanying the nomination does not repeat any of the well-known claims and “achievements” that Emeagwali has aggressively and fraudulently peddled about himself — claims that many of our people regard as truth. Apparently, the journalists at The Vanguard have become exposed to the widely available refutations of those claims and now know that they are false. But that, precisely, is the outrage. If they know that he is not a father of the internet, did not win “the Nobel Prize” of Computing as he claims, has no invention patents, did not invent the connection machine, does not have a single academic publication, and is neither a “doctor” nor a “professor” by any definition of those terms, why did they include him on the list? What makes Mr. Emeagwali “influential,” his ability to deceive Nigerians and line his pockets on the black speechmaking circuit?

Nigerians and black people deserve to know who the real Philip Emeagwali is. This will save them from the embarrassment of continuing to celebrate a fraud while real black scientific achievers and pioneers starve for attention and recognition. To correct Nigeria’s scientific and technological lag there is a need for investments — both financial and motivational — in the sciences, engineering, and IT fields. Nigerian youths need inspiration in the quantitative and scientific disciplines, but they should get it from actual, not pretending, black scientific, computing, and engineering heroes, not from phonies like Mr. Emeagwali.

Patented Inventions Or The Invention Of Patents?

Debunking the many myths of Mr. Emeagwali’s “achievements” is one the easiest things to do on earth if you have a computer with Internet access. Let us start with his claim of possessing 41 (32 by some accounts on some hero-worshipping black websites) patents for various inventions. A simple search at the website of the US Patent and Trade Mark Office (here: http://tarr.uspto.gov/) reveals that Mr. Emeagwali has only one registered patent, for Emeagwali.com, his website. He has no other patent listed against his name. It is the same patent that most owners of independent websites apply for to legally protect their proprietary rights over the website and its contents. We can state conclusively then that Mr. Emeagwali has no patented invention of any kind, contrary to his and his supporters’ claim.

Specifically, Mr. Emeagwali claims to have invented the Connection Machine (CM-2). This false claim is displayed boldly and shamelessly on Emeagwali.com in the section on “inventions” and “discoveries.” Some black websites like this one http://inventors.about.com/od/blackinventors/a/black_historyE.htm credit Emeagwali with inventing the Hyberball Machine Networks (or the supercomputer). Both claims are demonstrably false. The connection Machine, which is capable of conducting simultaneous calculations using 65,000-processors, was conceived by Daniel Hills and built by Thinking Machine Corporation, which Mr. Hills, along with Sheryl Handler, founded in 1982. This information is widely available on the web. The so-called supercomputer is therefore clearly not the child of Mr. Emeagwali by even the most generous stretch of the imagination.

Internet Pioneer?

Mr. Emeagwali claims to have used the CM-2 Machine to carry out billions of calculations by connecting over 65,000 processors (computers) around the world. He claims that this was the rudimentary foundation of the Internet. It is on this ground that he has aggrandized to himself the title of “father of the internet.” But this is a barefaced lie at worst and an egregious exaggeration at best. And it is so absurd in its circular logic that it is hilarious. First, as stated earlier, Emeagwali did not invent the Connection Machine on which his “experiment” relied. Second, Emeagwali used more than 65,000 independent processors "around the world" (meaning on the Internet) to do his calculation. This means that the Internet already existed and that he RELIED ON it for his calculations. Unless the Internet he claims to have fathered is different from the Internet that already existed at the time of his experiment (and which we all know as the existing internet today), he COULD NOT have invented the Internet or fathered it. He could not have been using an internet that, by his claim, did not exist until he invented it. As this website http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/emeagwali.html makes very clear, Emeagwali’s research did not contribute to or help invent any of the known components of what we now know as the internet:

Philip Emeagwali did work in supercomputing in the [late] eighties……. But supercomputing and the Internet are very different areas. And Emeagwali did not contribute to even one of the hundreds of Internet standards, or RFCs (Requests For Comments), that were created in the early decades of the Internet—an open process that anyone could participate in. His supercomputing research was completely unrelated to the Internet.

Emeagwali’s research was thus irrelevant to the evolution of the internet. Emeagwali did his supercomputing experiment in the late 1980s. By then, the “core standards” and protocols for information and data flow on the Internet already existed. And although, improvements have been made to the template since then, Emeagwali did not make any of those improvements and cannot therefore claim credit for them.

Emeagwali's tenuous—and fraudulent—claim to internet fatherhood rests on his assertion that "the Supercomputer is the father of the Internet,” “because both are networks of computers working together.” This, experts agree, is not true, as supercomputing is just one component of the Internet and in fact RELIES ON the rudiments of what we know as the internet to work. So, if anything, the internet concept is the father of supercomputing, not vice versa. But even if we accept Emeagwali’s wrong logic, the fact that he did not invent or pioneer supercomputing means that even on this flawed premise and logic he cannot be considered a father of the internet.

Authentic histories of the internet are accessible all over the web. One can be found here: http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.shtml#SC69. Many people played leading roles in inventing, improving, and constituting the vast technologies, protocols, and ideas that gave birth to and perfected the Internet. It is interesting that none of them is nearly as vocal in claiming that he is a father of the internet as Mr. Emeagwali, who did not contribute to the invention of the internet in any shape or form and in fact relied on the already existing internet to conduct his research. One of the most significant contributors to and pioneers of the internet is Vinton Cerf, who is today a Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist at Google Inc. Other important figures in the development of the Internet include JCR Licklider, Bob Taylor, Paul Baran, Donald Davies, and Lawrence Roberts. If anyone deserves the title of father of the Internet, it is these people. Yet, none of them craves or has appropriated the title. When interviewed about their contribution to the Internet, they often humbly outline their actual contribution, crediting others with other components and shunning the title or insinuation of having fathered the Internet.

The only “history of the internet” source to even recognize Emeagwali as a legitimate computer scientist to be mentioned when chronicling the history of the internet is the book History of the Internet: A Chronology, 1843 to the Present by Christos J. P. Moschovitis, Hilary Poole, Tami Schuyler, Theresa M. Senft. The book was published in 2001. Although Mr. Emeagwali proudly displays the book’s reference to him on his website and claims that the “father of the internet” moniker (which has since been lazily picked up by several media platforms) originated in the book, there is absolutely no such reference in the book. The book’s reference to Emeagwali only states how Emeagwali’s research “effectively stimulate[d] petroleum reserves” by “harnessing the power of parallel computing.” And it is clear from a cursory analysis of the linguistic properties of this specific reference to Emeagwali that Emeagwali himself supplied the material and the claims articulated in it. It is also clear from the reference that it has nothing to do with the internet but is about improving the modeling of oilfields or oil reservoirs. The content and prose are eerily identical to the autobiographical write-ups and claims on Emeagwali.com and on black websites that simply lift and republish Emeagwali’s claims and self-written biography.

The Nobel Prize Of Computing?

Emeagwali’s other claim is that of winning the “Nobel Prize of Computing.” He is, of course, referring to the Gordon Bell Prize, which he won in 1989. Many uninformed observers have since picked up this fraudulent reference, which emanated from Emeagwali.com, and given it wings. The truth is that the Gordon Bell Prize does not come close to the Nobel in status, recognition or prize money and to compare the two prizes is to insult the prestige of the Nobel and grossly exaggerate the Gordon Bell’s importance. The Gordon Bell Prize is, properly speaking, an annual competition that young, driven, engineering upstarts — mostly graduate students — enter. Winners are usually those whose research are innovative and on the cutting edge of new processes in the field. So, on that score, winning the Gordon Bell Prize is a reward for doing research work that is important and solves an application problem at the time that the award is given. But let us put the award in perspective and recognize that it is actually a very minor award in the narrow field of supercomputing and in the larger computing and scientific community. Here is why the Gordon Bell Prize, Emeagwali’s only legitimate achievement, is much less than what he has portrayed it as:

• The cash award for the prize is a mere $1000. Often, the amount of an award is a good guide to its prestige and significance in the field.
• Consider the fact that the most prestigious prize in the field of computing (and yet it cannot even be called the Nobel of Computing without insulting the real Nobel) is the Turing Prize, which carries a cash prize of $100,000.
• The Gordon Bell is awarded in the narrow subfield of supercomputing, thereby further thinning the applicant pool and reducing the intensity of the competition.
• The prize is further subdivided into several categories. Emeagwali won in one of those categories, the price/performance category. The more prestigious overall Peak Performance category was won by the entry submitted by a team from Mobil and TMC.
• It is interesting that apart from Emeagwali no other winner(s) of the Gordon Bell annual prize makes noise about winning it or claims to have won “the Nobel Prize of Computing.” They usually go on to do bigger and better research in the field, the Gordon Bell being just a launch pad for future significant work. The public does not even know the other winners because it is a minor prize even in the field of computing.
• Finally, and most importantly, Philip Emeagwali only won the prize in the price/performance category by default. His calculation of 3.1 Gflops was the second fastest speed. The fastest speed belonged to the Mobil/TMC team’s entry, whose calculation, according to the official record of the IEEE, which administers the prize (IEEE Software, May 1990, p. 101), bested Emeagwali’s speed. The speed of the Mobil/TMC Team’s solution to the seismic data processing problem was almost twice that of Emeagwali’s at almost 6Gflops. Similarly, and of more relevance for our purpose here, the Mobil/TMC team’s entry achieved the best speed/cost ratio (price-performance) at 500 Mflops per $1 Million, beating out Emeagwali’s entry, whose speed/cost ration was less than 400 Mflops per $1 Million. In fact the prize in the price/performance category was actually awarded to the Mobil/TMC initially. However, because the Mobil TMC team won also won in the overall Peak Performance category and the IEEE’s prize rule does not allow more than one prize per entry, the Mobil/TMC team forfeited their prize in the price/performance category, sticking with the prize for overall Peak Performance, a more significant category. As a result, Emeagwali’s entry, the second placed entry with the second highest speed/cost ratio, was automatically bumped to first place.

For all these reasons, it is the height of self-promotion and delusional exaggeration for Mr. Emeagwali to claim that he won the Nobel Prize of Computing or that the Gordon Bell is regarded as the Nobel of Computing. Nobody except Mr. Emeagwali regards the prize as such.

It is noteworthy that both Emeagwali and the Mobile/TMC Team relied on the CM-2 Machine (the Connection Machine) for their calculations, the same machine that Emeagwali falsely claims to have invented!

Racism Or Laziness?

The case of Philip Emeagwali is a cautionary tale on the pitfalls of self-delusion, laziness, and a sense of entitlement. Mr. Emeagwali enrolled in a doctoral program in Civil Engineering at the University of Michigan in 1987. His coursework over, he took the comprehensive examination that qualifies one for candidacy. He failed the exam twice and did not take it a third time. In the meantime, he conducted the research that would later win him the Gordon Bell Prize, a research he began as a class project for one of his graduate courses. In 1991, two years after winning the Gordon Bell by default, he petitioned the Dean of the School of Engineering to be allowed to submit a dissertation (despite not having passed his candidacy exam and therefore not being a doctoral candidate) in a different department — the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. His request was curiously granted in what was clearly a sidestepping of standard procedure. Emeagwali submitted the dissertation, basically a rework of his entry for the Gordon Bell competition, on July 24, 1992. A team of internal and external evaluators examined it and found it unworthy of a doctorate and turned it down.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Tanko Nuru Dies In His Hotel Room / Football Buffs To Nigerians : Don’t Lose Hope In Super Eagles / Babayaro Declared Bankrupt •chased By Creditors In Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.