Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,060 members, 7,933,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 09:16 AM

Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? (14194 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / What Is The Power Situation In Your Area / What Is The Power Situation In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Fynestboi: 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
None
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by otokx(m): 3:55pm On Aug 11, 2014
HopeAtHand:

I hereby appoint you Mayor of ALUU

My dear there has been a lot of misrepresentation.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by prettytitanium(f): 4:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
Yes it has oh and its scaring me seriously ,since saturday power has being uninterrupted asin no blink of goin off...reporting from benin airport road

1 Like

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
It is terribly worse in my area. We have gone back to sharing light - 3 days on,1 day off; but even the 3 days on are as good as off. We hardly even get 2 hours of power per day when we're on, and PHCN keeps bringing us huge bills.Infact they just brought one today.It's so annoying. Bullshit like this can only happen in Nigeria.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by bristol201(m): 4:31pm On Aug 11, 2014
The power supply in my area(Molade, Ibadan in Egbeda LGA) has become worst ever since the so called privatisation. Light only comes sometimes at midnight for only 2hrs and off again.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Reference(m): 4:34pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bolt3:
Am serious here, this is the only way I can know if the power situation has improved.

It hasn't. There are still power stations lying idle without gas. Just passed by one. Pity.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by leonshom(m): 4:50pm On Aug 11, 2014
Yes, it has improved negatively lipsrsealed
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by omo2sexy(f): 5:04pm On Aug 11, 2014
:oMmmmmm its well,if small country like ghana can stop nija........m
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by vitality22(m): 5:05pm On Aug 11, 2014
For me, the privatisation is a huge blessing. I just pray portharcourt electricity distribution company (PHED) will continue in this right direction. At least 20hrs of light per day
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by JaaizTech: 5:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
Light in Situation in my area in Kaduna has tremendously improved. On the average 20 hours of power supply guaranteed.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by otokx(m): 5:37pm On Aug 11, 2014
vitality22: For me, the privatisation is a huge blessing. I just pray portharcourt electricity distribution company (PHED) will continue in this right direction. At least 20hrs of light per day

Hope you are paying your bills regularly?
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by gistmelove(m): 6:17pm On Aug 11, 2014
still available.. call 08085310359

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Atmmachine(m): 7:38pm On Aug 11, 2014
I have experienced 4 years of uninterrupted electricity in America..
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Bolt3(m): 7:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
Josh316: OP,

First of all, you need to tell us where your area is. Thats the only way to compare any challenges you have.

Secondly, Nigerians need to understand that this is a new era. You dont have to sit down and keep sulking about the power situation. Walk up to your service provider to discuss the challenges you have in your area, rather than assume that it is a general issue. it could well be limited to your sub-station.

Two years ago, the light situation in my area was very bad. I naturally assumed it was a general thing till i went to the office of the Electricity company to ask what the issue was. They now informed me that they were carrying out some equipment overhaul and it would take a few months to complete the project.

Now, the light situation in my area is fairly stable and way better than two years ago.

Residents in Lagos will have more issues to deal with because the defunct NEPA did a horrible job with substations and power lines. Most of the high density areas will experience more blackouts because they will need to overhaul some sub-stations and transmission lines completely. No thanks to illegal connections and obsolete equipment.
Thanks for that reply. I stay around the forest reserve area opposite chevron. I hope the overhaul doesn't take too long.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Gentlemimi2: 7:51pm On Aug 11, 2014
Sweetlemon:

And who is in charge of providing the power we are talking about here? PDP (Through the FG) or GentleMimi or Sweetlemon?

All these wannabe GEJites sef. It's like they wear some kind of glasses that prevents them from seeing beyond their noses.
It takes a political-wannabe to know a wannabe. Brush up ur comprehension skills,u're too old to be directed like a blind person. The aim of the discuss is to determine the improvement ,or lack of it thereof,of the power sector. Drop ur opinion and then give ur assumptions. Some said it has improved,others said contrary. Can i speak for the whole country? No. The dude i quoted wanted to turn this into a political thread in just few seconds. Now make ur contribution and move aside,madam Anti-GEJ. There is time for everything.

5 Likes

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by fabregas04(m): 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
D situation has bn same in Ado-ekiti, just for abt 5hrs/days. But am currently in gwagwalada(Abuja). Here, d situation is abt 23hrs/day, am so surprised ooo.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by VivaLaFrans: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2014
aadoiza: It's area-dependent.
ROTLOL... Naijeriyaaaaa. I no fit south. PHCN... Power holding. Lol. Na dem dey hold power ooo... We have no choice.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by yomanovic: 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
Lordseyad: k

But wait o...... This is the 10th time Am on First page today o...

What a great way to celebrate ma BD. 'wink.

Abeg I deserve an award!!

Na phone u press throughout? Oh ok sorry, I just remembered that nursery school students are on holiday. When are pupils starting summer class or is Uncle Sam coming to take you private lesson at home? You should tell daddy 'I love you!'
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Wealthlex(m): 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2014
Yup it has improve a little in my yeard o orile sari iganmu will na use light everyday 2 sleep
Bolt3: Like here if the power situation hasn't improved.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by yomanovic: 9:07pm On Aug 11, 2014
Josh316: OP,

First of all, you need to tell us where your area is. Thats the only way to compare any challenges you have.

Secondly, Nigerians need to understand that this is a new era. You dont have to sit down and keep sulking about the power situation. Walk up to your service provider to discuss the challenges you have in your area, rather than assume that it is a general issue. it could well be limited to your sub-station.

Two years ago, the light situation in my area was very bad. I naturally assumed it was a general thing till i went to the office of the Electricity company to ask what the issue was. They now informed me that they were carrying out some equipment overhaul and it would take a few months to complete the project.

Now, the light situation in my area is fairly stable and way better than two years ago.

Residents in Lagos will have more issues to deal with because the defunct NEPA did a horrible job with substations and power lines. Most of the high density areas will experience more blackouts because they will need to overhaul some sub-stations and transmission lines completely. No thanks to illegal connections and obsolete equipment.

Sorry bro, I am much better informed about the power industry and I can categorically tell you that some of your statements here are total misconception.
Your statement that NEPA did a horrible job is very wrong because there are even some responsibilities that are not for nepa. All in all in Nigera, there had been roughly 4000 mega watts installed generation capacity in Nigeria which never even worked to it full capacity. Mind you, its not NEPA staff's responsiblity to build generation stations. It is the responsibility of the FG to do that and thereafter, hand it over to NEPA to run. South African government has installed capacity of 50,000 megawattes for just 45 million South Africans to share while Nigeria government has till date installed generation capacity of 4000 megawatts for almost 200 Million Nigerians to share. How do u want to reconcile these figures?

Another point is that most of the equipment actually need overhauling but the truth is that over the years, nothing could really be done without government involvement. The money made by NEPA was to be remitted to the government so NEPA would not embark on projects on its on.

Misplacement of priorities from the federal, state and local government has also been a problem beacuse electrificatiin projects are meant for RURAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCIES but Nigerians have been buying transformers and doing expansion projects themselves just as we have been contributing money to grade the roads on our streets, pay for vigilante, dig wells and boreholes and so on.

I can categorically tell you that generation at the moment is not even anything near 4000 megawatts. Some areas have economic, topographic and instrument-wise advantages over others and that's why some areas enjoy it more than other. The private companies that have just taken over are very much concerned about service delivery but it will actually take years to get there. All I can tell you is that projects are on-going to improve supply in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by talkrough: 10:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
Mehn ! Light ? What a name so rare to say or talk about in my area in Ibadan- WAKAJAYE to be precise. I have spent a year in the area and had light for about 30 hours- no exaggeration. Light in the area is far below zero. A lot is wrong with the area- no light, no road, no water what a miserable place to stay. I wonder if the state knows such a place exist. Can't remember the last time I saw light in the area, always on gen. Most people in the area wear rumpled clothes to work- I wear T shirts to work. Abeg, AJIMOBI do something with your AJUMOSE- we pay our tax and bill. If by next month nothing improves, gotta change state \location.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by ocelot2006(m): 11:51pm On Aug 11, 2014
Some thing's going on here in Ewet Housing, Uyo. Power supply has been almost constant. Kudos to the FG.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by buoye1(m): 6:39am On Aug 12, 2014
Drastically improved,now I can boast we av supply of more than 12hrs in 24hrs
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by daben1(m): 7:17am On Aug 12, 2014
Bolt3: Since power was sold out the light situation has steadily become worse in my house. I want to know if anyone has a similar experience. I also want to know the reason for this, could it be because of pipeline vandalism or the increase power consumption due to investments in the manufacturing sector or any other reason. Please don't just view, contribute.
i think it has improved, because like 2 months back i hardly see light for weeks but now, no 48hrs passes by without light in my room...
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by daben1(m): 7:22am On Aug 12, 2014
Bolt3:
Am serious here, this is the only way I can know if the power situation has improved.
shhhhh, u just need 'likeS'
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Pergrace: 8:12am On Aug 12, 2014
kobonaire: In the beginning there was ....
NEPA :- Never Expect Power Again

Then it "graduated" to a Plc ...
NEPA Plc :- Never Expect Power Again, Please Light Candle

Now they have totally rebranded to
PHCN :- Power Have Commot finish from Nigeria
undecided

PHCN is more like (Problem Has Changed Name)

2 Likes

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 8:38am On Aug 12, 2014
The power situation in the country has improved drastically in major areas, and i believe that with time it will reach every area... God Bless GEJ
Bolt3: Since power was sold out the light situation has steadily become worse in my house. I want to know if anyone has a similar experience. I also want to know the reason for this, could it be because of pipeline vandalism or the increase power consumption due to investments in the manufacturing sector or any other reason. Please don't just view, contribute.
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by mahteens: 10:19am On Aug 12, 2014
Don't really knw much about other areas ...d situation here has improved...
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by egariyi(f): 10:44am On Aug 12, 2014
grin grin
YoursGEJ: The deadline for how many million megawatts sef was December 2011. Dem come push am to December 2012. Push am again to December 2013. I just dey wait for the new deadline grin grin grin

The new deadline na 2020.

1 Like

Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by kobonaire(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Pergrace:

PHCN is more like (Problem Has Changed Name)
i like that .... will link that in my first post wink
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by Bolt3(m): 12:43am On Aug 14, 2014
daben1: shhhhh, u just need 'likeS'
Shey na likes I go chop?
Re: Has The Power Situation Improved Since It Was Sold? by ogene007: 10:44am On Aug 15, 2014
Recently, electricity consumers in Kilo,Nnobi and part of Alawode street environs of Surulere, Lagos have been without power supply for the past two weeks due to Eko Distribution Company(EKDC) putting the existing transformer out of service because according to them, one of there staff was man-handled by some consumers when he came to enforce disconnection due to their refusal to pay the outrages bills being levied on them by EKDC. It is pertinent to note that the putting out-of-service of this transformer has impacted on both consumers on pre-paid metering system and post-paid respectively. For customers using pre-paid meters, this action by EKDC amounts to fraud and a breach of contract due to the monthly accumulation of N750 service charge. Added to this is the fact that EKDC has indirectly told the residents of the affected areas to go and raise N1.8 million in order to energise a new transformer that has been lying idle in Ajoke Street, Off Nnobi Street, Surulere. Energizing this new transformer will no doubt reduce the heaving load on the existing operational transformer on Nnobi Street by eradicating the need for load shedding, improve the revenue to EKDC because the improved power supply will encourage consumers on post-paid metering system to pay their bills regularly, but must the consumers be made to pay for the cost of energizing the new transformer? Are we back to the old PHCN/NEPA days? These are questions needing urgent answers from both NERC and EKDC.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Hires Lawyers With N500m To Recover N330bn From MTN / PDP Makes U-Turn, Denies Saying APC Has Islamic Agenda. / Allow Live Broadcast Of Presidential Election Tribunal’s Proceedings, Onaiyekan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.