Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,329 members, 7,888,049 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:17 PM

Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women (7077 Views)

Kaduna Beggars Protest Ban By Government (Photo) / See Adams Oshiomhole's Children And Grandchildren At The Governor's Wedding(pic) / A Road Littered With Thorns. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 12:36am On Jan 26, 2009
My take is that there is rampant poverty in that country. Unless some Muslim lord somewhere went out and ordered that the muslim world produce more almajiris, I see no reason why this problem should be addressed as a religious issue and not a poverty related issue.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 12:39am On Jan 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I gave an example of a Christian man married to a muslim woman and unable to provide for his family. If it turns out the man is some drunk or irresponsible provider, is it still a religious issue if the wife feels it is ok for her to go out to beg as an almajiri so she can feed her kids?

If you say it it, then fine.

The issue of pan-handling cuts across every tribe, nation or sect and I dont think that is the issue that is of interest. We are talking about almajiris here. These are a group of kids whom are designated as scholars of the Koran. Their place and role is heavily recognized and espoused in the Muslim world. You are not doing the almajiri a favor by giving to him, actually, he is doing a favor by condescending to even receive from you.

I dont have a problem with them as long as they dont constitute a nuisance. But if U have been near a religious riot or near someone who has been one, U would understand these are the guys that do most of the damage. That is my concern
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Jan 26, 2009
**osisi:

Without a culture of  Islamic polygamy ,this would not be happening in Yorubaland to the level of being a public nuisance.
It would remain in sharialands where it rightfully belongs.
It's in Kaduna and Kano that you could be eating a packet of gala in some areas and some small kids will be stretching out their hands at you and watching the piece of gala go from your esophagus into your small intestine.
These same kids will cut off your head when the religious riots start.
Giving alms is one of the 5 pillars of Islam,I guess these folks believe someone should be entitled to receive the alms.

There has never been a time, while growing up that Lagos did not have Almajiri beggars on its streets.  This is no Kano/Kaduna issue. They are everywhere and if you look closely, they are not Hausas, all of them. Not all Almajiri’s come from Islamic polygamy. Some come from monogamous homes.
You fail to mention that the same kids are looked down on by many in society, so why would you not expect them to cut off your head when there is a religious riot since that seems all that seems to make sense to them? Also I think you forget that we have always had muslims in Nigeria, so why now? Why the sudden increase in the number of Almajiris?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

The issue of pan-handling cuts across every tribe, nation or sect and I dont think that is the issue that is of interest. We are talking about almajiris here. These are a group of kids whom are designated as scholars of the Koran. Their place and role is heavily recognized and espoused in the Muslim world. You are not doing the almajiri a favor by giving to him, actually, he is doing a favor by condescending to even receive from you.
I understand the place of Almajiri’s in Islam but can we simply and fairly look at them all, I mean all muslim kids begging on the streets, and label them scholars of islam. Is this that they are ALL begging in the name of islam? Are the old women mentioned by the author scholars of islam too?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Nobody: 12:48am On Jan 26, 2009
The rise of beggars is as a result of poverty in Nigeria.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by mustafar1: 12:50am On Jan 26, 2009
people are responding to the issue from a most convinient angle. religion.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 12:50am On Jan 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I understand the place of Almajiri’s in Islam but can we simply and fairly look at them all, I mean all muslim kids begging on the streets, and label them scholars of islam. Is this that they are ALL begging in the name of islam?

Maybe not. I dont even think that I am the best person to answer that question but I would tell U what I know tho. 80 percent or more of kids begging in the North are almajiris , at least it used to be when I lived there.

And honestly, thier begging dont bug me that much. I am only concerned that these guys are the ones that are easily brainwashed into thinking that they have 9 virgin maidens waiting for them if they die trying to kill all the unbelievers.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by tpia: 12:52am On Jan 26, 2009
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 12:53am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

Maybe not. I dont even think that I am the best person to answer that question but I would tell U what I know tho. 80 percent or more of kids begging in the North are almajiris , at least it used to be when I lived there.

And honestly, thier begging dont bug me that much. I am only concerned that these guys are the ones that are easily brainwashed into thinking that they have 9 virgin maidens waiting for them if they die trying to kill all the unbelievers.
Then you are the best person to ask this question. How many of the rich folks up there send their kids out to beg on the streets as islamic scholars?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 12:53am On Jan 26, 2009
stillwater:

must_a_far:

people are responding to the issue from a most convinient angle. religion.

The article specifically mentioned almajiris and that is what I am responding to.

U might wanna read the article
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 12:57am On Jan 26, 2009
This is taken from the article

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by SkyBlue1: 1:00am On Jan 26, 2009
stillwater:

You really believe that? It might actually shock you to know that begging is seen by some as a business whereby money is made. I guess you haven't read of beggars who give change. A part of the problem is that begging has become a "culture" and just like the culture of corruption there has been no serious attempt to discourage it either by policies or law enforcement etc. Please, don't think it is all poverty because it really isn't all poverty. Part of the reasons why beggars are so prevalent is part of the reason why people get bench and open stalls on an express road and call it market. No order. Funny enough i read an interesting article on this issue last week.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 1:01am On Jan 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Then you are the best person to ask this question. How many of the rich folks up there send their kids out to beg on the streets as islamic scholars?

Thats a one million dollar question. I ask myself that too. Not very many.

During my time in the North, a few (very few I must admit) comfortable folks (I would not wanna use the term rich cos that is relative) actually sent their kids to study under an Islamic Scholar and those kids also end up doing what other almajiris do. Most however, would prefer to open their houses to the almajiris and feed them rather than allow their kids become one.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

The article specifically mentioned almajiris and that is what I am responding to.

U might wanna read the article

Sky Blue:

You really believe that? It might actually shock you to know that begging is seen by some as a business whereby money is made. I guess you haven't read of beggars who give change. A part of the problem is that begging has become a "culture" and just like the culture of corruption there has been no serious attempt to discourage it either by policies or law enforcement etc. Please, don't think it is all poverty because it really isn't all poverty. Part of the reasons why beggars are so prevalent is part of the reason why people get bench and open stalls on an express road and call it market. No order. Funny enough i read an interesting article on this last week.

Yes religion is a factor here but the Yorubas did not become muslims overnight. We should put it into consideration that the economy is not helping matters either.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 1:08am On Jan 26, 2009
stillwater:

Yes religion is a factor here but the Yorubas did not become muslims overnight. We should put it into consideration that the economy is not helping matters either.

The article again mentioned Yorubas.

Last time I checked, the whole nation is not doing too good economically. Or are U suggesting that the Yorubas are the worst hit?  undecided

I think it is more of a coincidence that the issue of this almajiris is rife in the the two areas of the nations where we have the highest concentration of Muslims .
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by SkyBlue1: 1:08am On Jan 26, 2009
stillwater:

Sorry, i am not even looking at it from a "yoruba angle", rather just the culture of begging. Allow me to post an article, its an interesting read with images (and no i am not trying to become the new Nigeria1 : ) )
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

Thats a one million dollar question. I ask myself that too. Not very many.

During my time in the North, a few (very few I must admit) comfortable folks (I would not wanna use the term rich cos that is relative) actually sent their kids to study under an Islamic Scholar and those kids also end up doing what other almajiris do. Most however, would prefer to open their houses to the almajiris and feed them rather than allow their kids become one.
Here is what your answer does for me. It shows me that even you do not believe it is all Islam as you admit that the rich ones avoid sending their kids to beg as the poor and hence more gullible ones would. My point is poverty and the situation in that country has a lot more to do with the current state than religion does. Even Saudi Arabia does not have this horrible problem that we do in Nigeria.

Uche2nna:

Last time I checked, the whole nation is not doing too good economically. Or are U suggesting that the Yorubas are the worst hit? undecided

I think it is more of a coincidence that the issue of this almajiris is rife in the the two areas of the nations where we have the highest concentration of Muslims .

Roflmao!!! I am not sure they would be welcomed in Ibo land, islam of not. I believe ibos see them more as hausas than as mere islamics and that there is a big issue. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Nobody: 1:12am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

Last time I checked, the whole nation is not doing too good economically. Or are U suggesting that the Yorubas are the worst hit? undecided

Did Yoruba's all of sudden become muslims? Most have been muslims all along, why the sudden rise in almajiris?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 1:13am On Jan 26, 2009
stillwater:

Did Yoruba's all of sudden become muslims? Most have been muslims all along, why the sudden rise in almajiris?

THANK YOU!!
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 1:16am On Jan 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Here is what your answer does for me. It shows me that even you do not believe it is all Islam as you admit that the rich ones avoid sending their kids to beg as the

I wonder why U are just realizing that now  when I have made this clear in my previous posts  shocked shocked

Uche2nna:

Maybe not. I dont even think that I am the best person to answer that question but I would tell U what I know tho. [b]80 percent or more [/b]of kids begging in the North are almajiris , at least it used to be when I lived there.

I also stated clearly somewhere that the issue of panhandling cuts across tribe, nation or religion.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by SkyBlue1: 1:17am On Jan 26, 2009
Wayoguy In Naija (Part 3): Foreign Beggars Exploiting Children    
Written by 'Wayo Guy'    
Wednesday, 21 January 2009
Have you seen the pictures?

Revolutionary, but child-abusing, female beggars from Niger are slowly invading major cities in southern Nigeria. The key words here are Revolutionary and Child-Abuse. More about those words shortly.

Niger is the country directly north of Nigeria. For many years now, professional beggars from there have moved steadily south. They are here in Port Harcourt, Enugu, Onitsha, Owerre, Aba and other major cities. They are also in many western Nigerian cities. They are not interested in working.

I say they are revolutionary because, quietly but persistently, they have redefined the image of typical street beggars in southern Nigeria. Before their arrival, the unwritten Beggars Manual here required that a street beggar must be either (a) physically handicapped with a visible deformity of leg or arm or (b) blind or (c) mentally sick to the extent that they fit what we, in local parlance, generally refer to as mad people.

In all my years growing up in southeastern Nigeria, it was extremely rare, in fact nearly impossible, to see a street beggar who did not display one of these impediments – physical handicap, blindness, or mental illness. If any man or woman ever dreamed of street begging as a vocation but did not fit into any of these categories, I am certain that he or she quickly dispensed of the thought and found some gainful employment or engaged in private industry. Why? If people ever saw a healthy person on the street, begging, they would give him nothing but instead deride and insult him until he left the street. Yes, pride and shame ensured that in southeastern Nigeria, healthy people had no business on the street, begging.

But now here comes the street beggar from Niger: no physical handicap, no mental illness, not even a pretense of madness. Their formula is revolutionary in its simplicity – you only need to be a foreign woman and have a young child, preferably an infant, with you, and dangle an empty cup or plate in front of passersby or motorists, pleading for money.

Stand at a distance and watch how this formula works like magic. People are now glad to give to healthy foreigners holding babies and begging but would give nothing to healthy local people begging. It works so well that these Niger beggars boldly offer to give you change if your excuse for not giving them something is because you have only large currency notes. Yes, these beggars give change. They boldly open their bags, full of money, and retrieve the exact change for you. Looking at street begging as a business, I doubt that any student or professor of business administration in Nigeria can think of a better formula for successful begging in southern Nigeria.

But these Niger women street beggars, in spite of their revolutionary formula, are essentially abusing children. Watch those children. Why are they not in school? They look sullen, distant, tired; all day the scorching sun bakes their young brains while the adult women drag them along from passerby to motorist. The very young, the infants, just days or weeks old, are clutched in the women’s arms, under the blazing sun, all day.

Where are the fathers of these children? Why are these fathers never on the street begging? Are they in Niger or lurking around the street corners in Nigeria near the women? Or are these children fathered by Nigerian men? Worse, is it true, as I heard, that some of these children do not really belong to the women but are instead rented from their real parents strictly to use them for begging? Where is the outrage of Nigerians and the international community when infants and young children are so brazenly being abused?

Below are some of the pictures that I managed to take.

These children, and many others whose pictures I will not post, told me, in plain English, that they did not attend schools. The adults pretended not to speak English at all. Some spoke clear Hausa and I pretended that I did not understand them too.

This beautiful child should be in school. There is no better help for beggars than to force them to put their children in school. Otherwise the circle of poverty and begging will never end.

Here was one lady digging into her money bag to give me change. She had agreed to let me take her picture if I gave her money. I did. Then guess what she did after taking the money? See the next picture. I could hear her laughing and talking to her partners in a strange language as I walked away. I think they were saying "there goes the mugu"

This is the proper begging expression.

This particular group were busy counting my change from their heavy bag of money as I took this picture. Once you step away from them, you can see them in clusters exchanging pleasant banters with a happier countenance different from the one presented to the passerby in order to separate him from his money.

Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

I wonder why U are just realizing that now when I have made this clear in my previous posts shocked shocked

I also stated clearly somewhere that the issue of panhandling cuts across tribe, nation or religion.

If you do not believe this is really about islam, why then should we argue is in a religious context when we know that the almajiris are not all muslims, and not all those who are beggars and also muslims are doing it in the name of islam?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 1:20am On Jan 26, 2009
stillwater:

Maybe they are now becoming more conscious of their religion?  undecided I dont know !!! Ask them. grin

The point U are trying to make is that there is poverty. I agree with that. But that does not answer why there is a localized surge in "almajiriness" among the Western states.

If U are blaming poverty (which I believe is nation wide) then there should be a concomitant , if not proportional, surge in other parts of the country.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Sauron1: 1:22am On Jan 26, 2009
Cheese n Rice. . . . . . .Anutha cheap shot at the Yorubas.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 1:23am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

Maybe they are now becoming more conscious of their religion? undecided I dont know !!! Ask them. grin

The point U are trying to make is that there is poverty. I agree with that. But that does not answer why there is a localized surge in "almajiriness" among the Western states.

If U are blaming poverty (which I believe is nation wide) then there should be a concomitant , if not proportional, surge in other parts of the country.

Are you saying that there has not been a similar rise in population of beggars in other parts of the country?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by mustafar1: 1:27am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

[b]Maybe they are now becoming more conscious of their religion?  undecided I dont know !!! Ask them. grin[/b]The point U are trying to make is that there is poverty. I agree with that. But that does not answer why there is a localized surge in "almajiriness" among the Western states.

by that statement you mean religion acted someway in the increase in almajiris
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Hauwa1: 1:27am On Jan 26, 2009
blue, thanks for those pix. it is nice to see. i only wish i could go get that girl and sponsor her education. how do we go from here?

i always feel sick in my stomach seeing suffering men, women and children.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 1:29am On Jan 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

If you do not believe this is really about islam, why then should we argue is in a religious context when we know that the almajiris are not all muslims, and not all those who are beggars and also muslims are doing it in the name of islam?

LOL!!! U have a way with twisting words to suit ur own argument.

I believe there are major pre disposing factors to make one take up panhandling. One that cuts across the nation is poverty. That would explain the steady rise of pan handlers across the nation be it in Anambra, Ondo or Benue.  

Another pre disposing factor is religion. That would explain the localised phenomeno we are seeing in just two areas of the country.
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Nobody: 1:29am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

Maybe they are now becoming more conscious of their religion?  undecided I dont know !!! Ask them. grin

If you make a concoction of the fact that a religion allows for begging and mix it with poverty, GBAM, there goes your SURGE. That is why the Yorubas are in the news today grin
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Nobody: 1:31am On Jan 26, 2009
Some naija men are just plain selfish and greedy and just disgusting. Why must they marry more than 1 wife and get them all pregnant.
This issue is beyond poverty and lack of education, it's the case of disorder.
There is no order in this nation. Most of this issues are based on religion, makes it harder to govern.

Why must women and children suffer like this? So unfair!
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Kobojunkie: 1:32am On Jan 26, 2009
Uche2nna:

LOL!!! U have a way with twisting words to suit ur own argument.

I believe there are major pre disposing factors to make one take up panhandling. One that cuts across the nation is poverty. That would explain the steady rise of pan handlers across the nation be it in Anambra, Ondo or Benue.  

Another pre disposing factor is religion. That would explain the localised phenomeno we are seeing in just two areas of the country.

Lol . . . .  Not twisting your words, just trying to get answers to my questions based on my perceived meanings of your posts so I get a better idea of where you are coming from.
OK. But as @Stillwater already pointed out, as I have before then, Religion has always been in the mix. Rise in poverty only came in more recently. So, do we still treat all this from a religious angle or not?
Re: Yorubas Littered With Homeless Beggars, All Children And Women by Uche2nna(m): 1:32am On Jan 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Are you saying that there has not been a similar rise in population of beggars in other parts of the country?

At least thats the stance of the article.

must_a_far:

by that statement you mean religion acted someway in the increase in almajiris

Well, give me an alternative hypothesis.

And U must be prepared to explain why it is more prevalent in these two areas

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Suspected Criminals Can Avoid Arrest By Running Into Churches? / I’ve Never Seen $13.5m In My Life - Patience Jonathan / BUHARI'S Sickly Look Might Be Connected With Sickle Cell Disease (see Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.