Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,475 members, 7,891,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:38 PM

Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. (13344 Views)

Julius Nyerere Has A Lesson For Buhari (video) / Opinion: The Incoming SGF Should be Dr Anyim Nyerere (photo) / Asari Dokubo Flaunts Allegiance With Biafran Struggle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by cocoduck: 9:46am On May 17, 2015
SOUNDKING:
bro,1966 is far gone, tell me what gej winning election in 2011 has to do with Igbos but they were the primary target of the riot in the north,tell me what concerns the name Jimi with Igbo name,but the Igbos recieved all the threat of life in lagos, may amadioha punish any igbo man saying one nigeria.
I was talking about the topic, but what you said, is the truth

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by superstar1(m): 9:47am On May 17, 2015
pazienza:

You are all over the place. You need to calm down.

You are yet to answer my question, so I ask again. Can you authoritatively prove that Nzeogwu and co were acting on behalf of Ndiigbo? Yes or No.

Now let me give you reasons why Nzeogwu coup was not to Igbo advantage.

1. Igbo controlled two of the four regions of Nigeria before Nzeogwu coup. Osadebey and Okpara were the premiers of the Midwestern and Eastern regions respectively.

2. The regions enjoyed enormous powers, so much that Akintola's New coalition with the North would matter less, seeing as the two Igbo controlled regions just newly discovered oil wealth, and with the 50:50 revenue sharing formula between the region and the FG then, control of the East and Midwest was more lucrative than control of the FG.

3. How exactly did Ironsi centralization ish favour Ndiigbo, when it now meant that we had to share the newly discovered crude oil wealth of the Midwest and East with the North and the West, haven't we been accused of wanting Biafra just to corner the crude oil wealth of ND, how exactly would centralization of the government, help Ndiigbo to corner the crude oil, don't you think that regionalism was a better way to go, if the theory of Igbo greed for crude oil must hold?

4. The crude wealth of the Midwest and East would have put Ndiigbo millions of miles away from the North and the West, once we allowed the minorities to have an upper hand in the wealth.

Nzeogwu coup was totally anti Igbo.

It eliminated Akintola, Awo's nemesis. With Akintola alive, Yorubas would remain divided between Awo and Akintola, making their exploitation easier. Akintola death freed Awo, United Yorubas who then worked against Ndiigbo as a United front.

I have answered your question on whether the coup was executed on behalf of the igbos or not? Of course you do not expect them to come to the market square to ask for mandate to execute the coup on behalf of certain groups of people. However, taking into cognisance the executioners of the coup, the victims of the coup and beneficiaries of the coup, one might be technically inclined to believe so.

Igbos were controlling the 2 regions. Beautiful. What now made Ironsi to centralise power? I will like to know the presumed motive(s), because he could still have been the Head of State and still leave the region's the way they were.

4 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by AnambraDota: 9:49am On May 17, 2015
When armed militants killed Nigeria troops in Bayelsa Nigeria government led by surrogate Fulaniman from yolobaland killed unarmed civilians and livestocks while the militancy thrive.

When Fulani herdsmen killed Nigeria police in Odi, Obasanjo the usual puppet killed civilians and livestock at Zaki Biam.

Zoooooogeria I hail theeeeeeee

4 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by superstar1(m): 9:51am On May 17, 2015
zendy:

There is no territorial integrity to protect if the state has no legitimacy.

You are funny. Legitimacy lies in your celebration of independence.
Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by cheruv: 9:53am On May 17, 2015
what a sagacious piece from Nyerere! smiley
this is what I tell self hating Igbos like egift and eurobomber that the state exist for the protection of man and not the other way round angry
Nigeria is no longer useful to the people of the SE+Anioma region and so has to be done away with! angry
when the SEAR army rises like the sun,the memory of the nigger area shall be committed to the trashbin of history! cool

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 9:57am On May 17, 2015
superstar1:

I have answered your question on whether the coup was executed on behalf of the igbos or not? Of course you do not expect them to come to the market square to ask for mandate to execute the coup on behalf of certain groups of people. However, taking into cognisance the executioners of the coup, the victims of the coup and beneficiaries of the coup, one might be technically inclined to believe so.

Igbos were controlling the 2 regions. Beautiful. What now made Ironsi to centralise power? I will like to know the presumed motive(s), because he could still have been the Head of State and still leave the region's the way they were.

I don't know his motives, but whatever his motives were, it's obvious that it wasn't pro Igbo, it was more of personal selfishness.

Osadebey and Okpara didn't willingly surrender their thrones and visions for the East and Midwest, they were forced to by Ironsi, likewise Orizu the speaker.

Okpara had plans of placing PH ahead of Lagos, he had been working on that plan diligently with just revenues from Enugu coal and Palm oil plantations spread mostly in Igboland and Ibibiolands, just when he got crude wealth to accelerate that master plan of his, Nzeogwu and his boys put a stop to everything.

9 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by AnambraDota: 9:58am On May 17, 2015
SOUNDKING:
bro,1966 is far gone, tell me what gej winning election in 2011 has to do with Igbos but they were the primary target of the riot in the north,tell me what concerns the name Jimi with Igbo name,but the Igbos recieved all the threat of life in lagos, may amadioha punish any igbo man saying one nigeria.

Nobody is behind those hate mongering except the Zulus on Southern Nigeria, they are everywhere calling for disaster and hate against Igbos but they won't challange a Fulani man that call the Kaffirs.
Their kings want Igbos death, their intellectuuals want igbos destroyed, their youth are singing disaster to igbos because they covetous people who are obsessed about others properties.

They tell you tell will take over your houses when Biafra is actualize to show you they are no different from the Zulus in SA who can't stand a whiteman but will fight a blackman.

These zulus of Nigeria with their lagoon drunk bribe collector called king lilwayne is an inferior muslim, a cripple gambari worth more than him in a mosque

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by MERS(m): 9:59am On May 17, 2015
I am here for the emotion-laden comments
Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by after1: 10:05am On May 17, 2015
[s]
AnambraDota:
When armed militants killed Nigeria troops in Bayelsa Nigeria government led by surrogate Fulaniman from yolobaland killed unarmed civilians and livestocks while the militancy thrive.

When Fulani herdsmen killed Nigeria police in Odi, Obasanjo the usual puppet killed civilians and livestock at Zaki Biam.

Zoooooogeria I hail theeeeeeee
[/s]

This accursed old fool is here again to derail this thread. @Pazienza, This fool called buddahmonk Aka Anambradota will help derail your thread. Tell him to discuss about the thread and stop insulting other tribes.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by after1: 10:08am On May 17, 2015
[s]
AnambraDota:

Nobody is behind those hate mongering except the Zulus on Southern Nigeria, they are everywhere calling for disaster and hate against Igbos but they won't challange a Fulani man that call the Kaffirs.
Their kings want Igbos death, their intellectuuals want igbos destroyed, their youth are singing disaster to igbos because they covetous people who are obsessed about others properties.

They tell you tell will take over your houses when Biafra is actualize to show you they are no different from the Zulus in SA who can't stand a whiteman but will fight a blackman.

These zulus of Nigeria with their lagoon drunk bribe collector called king lilwayne is an inferior muslim, a cripple gambari worth more than him in a mosque
[/s]

Trash from a jobless old man that still live with his aged mother in the village. Its only on nairaland we see fools open thread to curse and insult other tribe and still say people hate them. You insult other tribes and still want them to love you, are you insane? Channel the energy you use in cursing other tribes to your worthless life, you have been stagnant for years and your younger brothers now feed you. Sit and think deeply about your useless life cos you are just a walking corpse.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 10:08am On May 17, 2015
People, please let's keep this thread free of tribal slurs.
Thanks.
Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by superstar1(m): 10:14am On May 17, 2015
pazienza:

I don't know his motives, but whatever his motives were, it's obvious that it wasn't pro Igbo, it was more of personal selfishness.

Osadebey and Okpara didn't willingly surrender their thrones and visions for the East and Midwest, they were forced to by Ironsi, likewise Orizu the speaker.

Okpara had plans of placing PH ahead of Lagos, he had been working on that plan diligently with just revenues from Enugu coal and Palm oil plantations spread mostly in Igboland and Ibibiolands, just when he got crude wealth to accelerate that master plan of his, Nzeogwu and his boys put a stop to everything.

Based on the fact that we do not know his motive, you can believe it was for personal selfish interest and i can also believe what i deemed fit.

Did Okpara shred the master plan or he died with it? Why has this angelic Masterplan not been followed rigidly till date?

The Ministers informed Orizu that they have chosen Zana Dipcharima to be the Acting PM, having learnt of the fate that befell Balewa. Orizu rejected the proposal, being the acting President, due to the unending vacation of ZIk which was thought to have been tipped off by his cousin about the impending coup. Nwafor Orizu refused to co-operate with the ministers.

Orizu liaised and co-operated fully with Ironsi and handed over to Ironsi and other ministers complied at gun points.

Notice the trend:

Coup plotters - Led by Nzeogu, cousin to Zik
Beneficiary -- Ironsi
President that went for medical check up just before the coup -- ZIk
The acting president that refused to swear in Dipcharima -- Orizu
The acting president that handed over to the military --- Orizu
The military president that took over -- Ironsi.

Be objective in this. There is a connecting dot in all of this.

What is the way forward should be the next thing and not the continuous dwelling on events of 50years ago, carried out by guys that were less than 35years of age.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by AnambraDota: 10:15am On May 17, 2015
after1:
[s][/s]

This accursed old fool is here again to derail this thread. @Pazienza, This fool called buddahmonk Aka Anambradota will help derail your thread. Tell him to discuss about the thread and stop insulting other tribes.

Why are you on my diick with you fakeass handle, face me like a realman now and stop hiding.

Yoloba doctor called for genocide against Igbos only to say his twiiter account was hacked.

Loool, I know that's why your hiding behind this silly moniker to fight me abi, declare yourself let's slugg it out, before you beg that your account is hacked or how you have an Igbo ex girlfriend

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by after1: 10:24am On May 17, 2015
[s]
AnambraDota:

Why are you on my diick with you fakeass handle, face me like a realman now and stop hiding.

Yoloba doctor called for genocide against Igbos only to say his twiiter account was hacked.

Loool, I know that's why your hiding behind this silly moniker to fight me abi, declare yourself let's slugg it out, before you beg that your account is hacked or how you have an Igbo ex girlfriend

[/s]

Look at this jobless animal talking about faceless handles. This is my handle and the date of registration is there unlike you fool that opened Anambradota to deceive people of being a lady. Where is your buddahmonk, okijamaka, chuksphil e.t.c Why are you getting more foolish by the day. Your being useless to yourself and family is really affecting your life, at your miserable age you still live with your old mother in the village. You come online to spew trash about others cos you are frustrated. You deserve to be shot cos a fool at 40 is forever a fool.

Why not attack the doctor instead of the mouth making yeeboes running to UN, you will start trouble and when confronted you run to the world to cry about genocide. We can call on nairaland charity to donate for you so can stop getting frustrated about your miserable life. Get well soon Ebuka.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by AnambraDota: 10:25am On May 17, 2015
after1:
[s][/s]

Trash from a jobless old man that still live with his aged mother in the village. Its only on nairaland we see fools open thread to curse and insult other tribe and still say people hate them. You insult other tribes and still want them to love you, are you insane? Channel the energy you use in cursing other tribes to your worthless life, you have been stagnant for years and your younger brothers now feed you. Sit and think deeply about your useless life cos you are just a walking corpse.

I will be foolish to reply until you unveil yourself. I don't shaddowbox, declare and identify yourself now unless I won't reply you anymore.

Use your original handle.

I will keep tormenting your original moniker untill your hatred for Igbos is cured, every thread in NL that have to do with Igbos only have you defending the sokoto gudali, your defending the gambari when your not a fulani, when Northerners are mentioned you will carry the matter for head, when the fulanis are mentioned you will be defending and insulting Igbos.

What do you benefit insulting Igbos while defending the gambaris, am an igboman and I will defend Igbos, I don't defend Gambaris neither do I defend Ijaw or the Urhobos.

Your everywhere Igbos are mentioned dishing hate and insults, those that concern you and those that don't your there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 10:26am On May 17, 2015
superstar1:

Based on the fact that we do not know his motive, you can believe it was for personal selfish interest and i can also believe what i deemed fit.

Did Okpara shred the master plan or he died with it? Why has this angelic Masterplan not been followed rigidly till date?

The Ministers informed Orizu that they have chosen Zana Dipcharima to be the PM, having learnt of the fate that befell Balewa. Orizu rejected being the acting President, due to the unending vacation of ZIkm which was thought to have been tip off by his cousin about the impending coup.

Orizu liaised with Ironsi and handed over to Ironsi and other ministers complied at gun points.

Notice the trend:

Coup plotters - Led by Nzeou, cousin to Zik
Beneficiary -- Ironsi
President that went for medical check up just before the coup -- ZIk
The acting president that refused to swear in Dipvahrima -- Orizu
The acting president that handed over to the military --- Orizu
The military president that took over -- Ironsi.

Be objective in this. There is a connecting dot in all of this.

What is the way forward should be the next thing and not the continuous dwelling on events of 50years ago, carried out by guys that were less than 35years of age.

So, you believe others complied at gun points, but Orizu had a choice and didn't comply to Ironsi directives at gun point, simply because he( Orizu) was Igbo?

You see how your Igbophobia blinds you to the true nature of humans.

No human will give away his powers willingly, We have seen cousins fight each other for power( Amaechi and Omehia), but you somehow believe that Orizu would willingly surrender his powers and become ordinary and anonymous simply because Ironsi was a fellow Igbo, you mean to say that Orizu had no political ambitions of his own? Do you know how distant Nnewi is from Umuahia?

Do you really for once think that an unarmed Orizu really stood a chance at defying Ironsi, a military man with gun who commands battalions of soldiers?

You are clearly not being objective.

6 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 10:32am On May 17, 2015
On why Okpara was never able to carry out his master plan for PH. Well, Nzeogwu, Ironsi and Biafra happened.

The East lost control of her resources, people and destiny, as Gowon dissolved the regions and created non viable anomalies.

Basically the start of the fall of the Zoological republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by after1: 10:35am On May 17, 2015
AnambraDota:

[s]I will be foolish to reply until you unveil yourself. I don't shaddowbox, declare and identify yourself now unless I won't reply you anymore.

Use your original handle.

I will keep tormenting your original moniker untill your hatred for Igbos is cured, every thread in NL that have to do with Igbos only have you defending the sokoto gudali, your defending the gambari when your not a fulani, when Northerners are mentioned you will carry the matter for head, when the fulanis are mentioned you will be defending and insulting Igbos.

What do you benefit insulting Igbos while defending the gambaris, am an igboman and I will defend Igbos, I don't defend Gambaris neither do I defend Ijaw or the Urhobos.

Your everywhere Igbos are mentioned dishing hate and insults, those that concern you and those that don't your there
[/s]

You are now a certified slowpoke, is there anyting like original handle on nairaland? I registered on July 2014, Only cowards look for excuse everywhere, face me and stop trying to safe face. I will give you the grace of using your buddahmonk and Okijaamaka handle to face me, i was on your Anambra thread to face you and you ran away. Face me here and let me disgrace your foolish self. Point out where i defend ab.oki, i am only on any thread you mention Yoruba. You b.astard was on Anambra thread and still insulting Yoruba, why the f.ucking hatred? There is no day you dont link Yoruba to everything on nairaland, a thread on Tonto dike must be linked to Yoruba so you can spew your hate and curse words.

I will always torment you till you start being reasonable, I am not the one that make your life miserable, i didnt ask you to be useless. Leave your mother's house and go do something worthwhile with your useless life, if at your age you still depend on your aged mother then you will forever be useless. Your little ones now feed you with change, you now look for any festival party in Onitsha just to eat and form Okija. You are a cursed to all family and no wonder your elder ones abandon you to your faith. Anumanu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by superstar1(m): 10:37am On May 17, 2015
pazienza:

So, you believe others complied at gun points, but Orizu had a choice and didn't comply to Ironsi directives at gun point, simply because he( Orizu) was Igbo?

You see how you Igbophobia blinds you to the true nature of human.

No human will give away his powers willingly, We have seen cousins fight each other for power( Amaechi and Omehia), but you somehow believe that Orizu would willingly surrender his powers and become ordinary and anonymous simply because Ironsi was a fellow Igbo, you mean to say that Orizu had no political ambitions of his own? Do you know how distant Nnewi is from Umuahia?

Do you really for once think that an unarmed Orizu really stood a chance at defying Ironsi, a military man with gun who commands battalions of soldiers?

You are clearly not being objective.

You missed the point.

Orizu had the opportunity to swear in Dipcharima and he declined and he refused to co-operate with the other ministers.. Whether he did at gun point or not is inconsequential again, once he fettered away the golden opportunity to continue with our nascent democracy of then, by simply handling a swearing in ceremony of 10minutes and oath taking.

It would have been a different ball game entirely if he had sworn in Dipcharima and Ironsi comes into the Exco and forced all of them to resign and hand over to him. We shall all know Ironsi was acting out his own script with the coup plotters.

Why was Ironsi interested in taking over, if he was not part of the plot ab initio, at least he said the coup has been crushed. He could as well allow the democratic structure to continue by the constitutional succession plan.

People can see through all the lies and deceptions. How will a sitting, though ceremonial president leave the country for 3months for mere medical check up and vacation. FRom Britain he ended up in the carribeans, Even the meeting of Heads of Commonwealth that as held in early Jan of 1966 could not bring him back into the country and this was a person that loves podium more than his home.

2 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by SOUNDKING: 10:37am On May 17, 2015
superstar1:

In all the cases I sited, the integrity of the sovereignty of the State is being threatened and the sitting President at that point in time acted decisively to protect the sovereignty of the nation.

Emphasis is on the protection of territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation and not who is killing who.

I never supported of Igbos by northerners and can never support the killing of human beings. Most people 's point of view is that if there was no coup of January, under events that occurred would not have. That was the Genesis of the whole crisis.

Ijaw people never denied Adaka Boro's declaration. Just because a handful of Ijaws in the parliament in Enugu were singing different tunes, does not make his declaration invalid. Was Ike Nwachukwu not in the Nigerian Army that fought against Bi afraid? Would he not have been telling Gowon some unprintable things about Ojukwu. Would he not have informed Gowon that Ojukwu was forcing his pet project on his people.

Which independent person was present at the referendum for the declaration of Biafra? How are we sure Ojukwu did not use cohesive force to choose the people that voted at the referendum, using the Abacha's style and taking into cognisance that results are still being written in people's bedroom in 2015.

If Biafra declaration is valid, same goes for Isaac Boro's declaration.

In your own opinion, looking at those unfortunate incidents retrospectively, what do you think each party ought to have done differently, that could have been beneficial to all?
shut up, no body forced what to vote on any body during the referendum igbos saw Biafra as the only land they could call their own,that is why we had too much act of petrotism from Igbos during war,i could remenber my father told me about many of his coleagues from the achuzia's X brigade, that chose to commit suicide rather than go back to Nigeria. We shall rise again!!!!

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by superstar1(m): 10:42am On May 17, 2015
SOUNDKING:
shut up, no body forced what to vote on any body during the referendum igbos saw Biafra as the only land they could call their own,that is why we had too much act of petrotism from Igbos during war,i could remenber my father told me about many of his coleagues from the achuzia's X brigade, that chose to commit suicide rather than go back to Nigeria. We shall rise again!!!!

Definitely the demented you woke up this morning, omo ti o niran.

Your father told you and you are not even ashamed of yourself. Lazy way out of having an informed knowledge. Some of us did not wait for our fathers to tell us, we read every book and article available on the war. That was the same way Chimamanda was telling us how her uncle told her his make-me-feel-good tales by moonlight stories.

Do yourself a great service of reading up.

His colleagues committed suicide and their supposed sissy leader spared his own life by dressing as a woman while running away to Abidjan.

Definitely they died a worthless death just like suicide bombers of Boko Haram,

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by Nobody: 10:49am On May 17, 2015
I want to appeal to people to discuss without attacking any tribe irrespective of disagreement.

@Topic: The events of 1966-1970 should teach every one of us some lesson, especially when pursuing an interest.
Kaduna Nzeogwu coup was clearly not endorsed by the Igbo nation nor any of the Eastern/MidWestern tribes. However, because the beneficiary of the coup was from the Eastern Region, while the victims were majorly from non-Eastern/Midwestern region, some people took advantage to interpret the coup as "Igbo Coup" in order to instigate non Easterners against innocent Easterners living in the North.

Then Senate President/Acting President Orizu Nwafor could have agreed to swear-in the Ministers chosen PM immediately he was approached.

Gen Aguiyi Ironsi was one funny character. He was very much aware that the process that brought him to power was not-so acceptable. Rather than look into the fears of every group and also fasten the trial of the coup plotters, he was relaxed and acted as if "all was well". He went further to repeal the Regional system to institute unitary system that was at no time favorable to anybody just to appear "nationalistic". He failed to realise that you can't create unity when people are dissatisfied.

Yakubu Gowon should have addressed and put an end to the polgrom. He also should have respected the Aburi accord or in the alternative make it go through a referendum. Even when the war was on, he should have sought for a bloodless solution if he was so interested in people rather than just a country.

Odimegwu Ojukwu though acted on the complain of his people should have pushed for external support and OAU/UN referendum. Patience should have been employed. Secondly, there was clearly communication problem with a section of the present day SS. Some thought it was a ploy to exert Igbo dominance(turned out to be false and baseless), some supported, while others were indifferent. Politicians took advantage of divided opinion to pick sides for their own benefit.

Isaac Adaka Boro: his declaration of Independence in 1966 of the Ijaw Nation known as Niger Delta Republic was without due consultation and formal referendum. Though he had legitimate reasons and would have sailed through had it been it underwent referendum.

The People of Lower Niger/Biafra should learn from this episodes. We all should be strategic and very careful in our pursuit so as to avoid leaving loopholes that may come to haunt the struggle. For the present day Nigeria state, the mistake we keep making is that we pretend that all is well within this sugar-coated system that does nothing but promote injustice and fuels disunity. Until that is addressed, we will continue to run in circle.

May God Help Us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 10:59am On May 17, 2015
superstar1:

You missed the point.

Orizu had the opportunity to swear in Dipcharima and he declined and he refused to co-operate with the other ministers.. Whether he did at gun point or not is inconsequential again, once he fettered away the golden opportunity to continue with our nascent democracy of then, by simply handling a swearing in ceremony of 10minutes and oath taking.

It would have been a different ball game entirely if he had sworn in Dipcharima and Ironsi comes into the Exco and forced all of them to resign and hand over to him. We shall all know Ironsi was acting out his own script with the coup plotters.

Why was Ironsi interested in taking over, if he was not part of the plot ab initio, at least he said the coup has been crushed. He could as well allow the democratic structure to continue by the constitutional succession plan.

People can see through all the lies and deceptions. How will a sitting, though ceremonial president leave the country for 3months for mere medical check up and vacation. FRom Britain he ended up in the carribeans, Even the meeting of Heads of Commonwealth that as held in early Jan of 1966 could not bring him back into the country and this was a person that loves podium more than his home.

Again, you are running in cycles. Remember that you are yet to prove how the control of the regions were not more beneficial to Ndiigbo more than the centralization of the government, considering the newly acquired crude oil wealth of the Midwestern and Eastern regions.

Now to address your current post.

Is it possible that the same reason why Orizu refused to swear Dipcharima in, was the exact reason why Ogundipe refused to pick up the mantle following Ironsi's death. You don't want to be on the way of an armed power hungry man with troops at his command. Do you ever consider the fact that Orizu was a human and 'might be scared of his life?

Why was Ironsi interested in taking over? Did you really ask that question? A man who had tested power as a high ranked military officer was presented with an opportunity to rule a country, and you wonder why he desired power? Isn't the desire for power a primordial instinct of most humans?

Ironsi was interested in power because he was a human being, and not because he had a secret meeting with Ndiigbo.

Why Zik was not in the country during the coup, no one knows, but it's also on record that the impending coup was a public knowledge that most top government officials knew about, perhaps Zik was more careful than the rest.

Either way, it doesn't matter, as you are yet to tell me how the control of a centralized FG would have served Ndiigbo better than the control of the Nigerian two oil rich regions, considering the 50:50 revenue sharing formula between the regions and the FG.
Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by AnambraDota: 11:01am On May 17, 2015
SOUNDKING:

If after the war that Nigeria is a peaceful place I will call Ojukwu a proud and arrogant power hungry man, but after the war.

Maitatasine in North,

Cartoon Riot killings,

US invasion of Iraq killings,

US invasion of Afghanistan Riot,

Boko hara everyday,

Ombatse group,

Militancy in Niger Delta,

ethnic cleansiing in Middle Belt,

Odi Massacre,

Zaki Biam,

election killings of 2011,

Miss World riots,

Reihard Bonke riot,

Israeli fight with Hammas riot,

Fulanis everyday killing of people.

Ethno Reliigious killings in Jos.

Fulani vs Jukun.

Tiv vs Jukun.

Fulanis vs Berom.

Killing killing killing everyday , blood everywhere.

Am yet to see any period in Nigeria timeline with 24 months without major bloodshed.

Who do the Zulus blame, the Zulus blame the Biafrans for seeking peace.

The Zulu king threatened to drown voters of particular tribe in the lagon.

A zulu youngman on twiiter called for the killing of the Biafrans.

A zulu doctor called for the elimination of the Biafrans.

A zulu governor deported Biafrans back to their land.

The zulus and their masters don't want Biafrans in Biafra and they don't want them in Nigeria.

They initiate high cut off mark to limit the Biafrans from gaining admissiona, they used quota system to scheme the Biafrans out in the system, they used zoning formular to make sure the number of Biafrans that merited every position is checkmated when Biafrans compalin they say they are fond of complaining.

Other have six and seven states but five were given to the Biafrans,
Thank God Biafrans have annexed some parts of Europe, what we lose here we gain it overthere.

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by zendy: 11:02am On May 17, 2015
superstar1:

You are funny. Legitimacy lies in your celebration of independence.

Oh really? My independence day is 30th May, the date of the declaration of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by khayman77: 11:07am On May 17, 2015
Wonderful wordz from NL wisemen. Please op@pazienza,superstar nd barcanista hlp do d needful against tribal war,i rili love diz thread nd i hope we all understand ourselves at d end of everything. Happy sunday nd God bless.
Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by SUBWAY101(m): 11:08am On May 17, 2015
superstar1:

Definitely the demented you woke up this morning, omo ti o niran.

Your father told you and you are not even ashamed of yourself. Lazy way out of having an informed knowledge. Some of us did not wait for our fathers to tell us, we read every book and article available on the war. That was the same way Chimamanda was telling us how her uncle told her his make-me-feel-good tales by moonlight stories.

Do yourself a great service of reading up.

His colleagues committed suicide and their supposed sissy leader spared his own life by dressing as a woman while running away to Abidjan.

Definitely they died a worthless death just like suicide bombers of Boko Haram,

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 11:09am On May 17, 2015
barcanista:
I want to appeal to people to discuss without attacking any tribe irrespective of disagreement.

@Topic: The events of 1966-1970 should teach every one of us some lesson, especially when pursuing an interest.
Kaduna Nzeogwu coup was clearly not endorsed by the Igbo nation nor any of the Eastern/MidWestern tribes. However, because the beneficiary of the coup was from the Eastern Region, while the victims were majorly from non-Eastern/Midwestern region, some people took advantage to interpret the coup as "Igbo Coup" in order to instigate non Easterners against innocent Easterners living in the North.

Then Senate President/Acting President Orizu Nwafor could have agreed to swear-in the Ministers chosen PM immediately he was approached.

Gen Aguiyi Ironsi was one funny character. He was very much aware that the process that brought him to power was not-so acceptable. Rather than look into the fears of every group and also fasten the trial of the coup plotters, he was relaxed and acted as if "all was well". He went further to repeal the Regional system to institute unitary system that was at no time favorable to anybody just to appear "nationalistic". He failed to realise that you can't create unity when people are dissatisfied.

Yakubu Gowon should have addressed and put an end to the polgrom. He also should have respected the Aburi accord or in the alternative make it go through a referendum. Even when the war was on, he should have sought for a bloodless solution if he was so interested in people rather than just a country.

Odimegwu Ojukwu though acted on the complain of his people should have pushed for external support and OAU/UN referendum. Patience should have been employed. Secondly, there was clearly communication problem with a section of the present day SS. Some thought it was a ploy to exert Igbo dominance(turned out to be false and baseless), some supported, while others were indifferent. Politicians took advantage of divided opinion to pick sides for their own benefit.

Isaac Adaka Boro: his declaration of Independence in 1966 of the Ijaw Nation known as Niger Delta Republic was without due consultation and formal referendum. Though he had legitimate reasons and would have sailed through had it been it underwent referendum.

The People of Lower Niger/Biafra should learn from this episodes. We all should be strategic and very careful in our pursuit so as to avoid leaving loopholes that may come to haunt the struggle. For the present day Nigeria state, the mistake we keep making is that we pretend that all is well within this sugar-coated system that does nothing but promote injustice and fuels disunity. Until that is addressed, we will continue to run in circle.

May God Help Us

Ojukwu exhausted all peaceful means to resolve the conflict. He was even open to UN supervised plebiscite in Biafra. Gowon sure of victory with British unlimited weapon supply declined all peaceful means, he was itching for war, he knew he stood a greater chance of victory at the war front, so he scuttled every means to peaceful resolution. Why make compromise on the table, when you can have it all at the war front? That seem to be Gowon's motto.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by after1: 11:09am On May 17, 2015
SOUNDKING:

They committed suicide but the Biafra leader Ojuiku ran away in the middle of the night yet you call him your Hero. Bookmarked!

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by AnambraDota: 11:17am On May 17, 2015
ND was told Igbos want their oil, today 90% of the oil is in the hand of the Gambaris and their brokus liking zulus while ND have environmental degredation to suffer.

Saro Wiwa staged his movement he was hanged, Odi people voiced their displeasure their women and children were massacred by the state.

Jigawa was carved out Old Kano State with 44 LGs, the new Jigawa have 21 LGs while the old Kano still have 44, pls where did the new LGs in Jigawa germinated from

When you see places like Yobe, Osun and Ekiti states are states your asking what stop Anioma state from happening when Agbor alone is bigger everything that happens in the three states combine not to talk of Kwale or Asaba.

Sharing ND oil is the reason

Chaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by DiademSh07: 11:22am On May 17, 2015
AnambraDota:

Where did he say his account was hacked?
Ibos and lies! Very synonymous.
What he said was that his words was manipulated. In his social media account, he made a statement that the ibos have started laying claim to other peoples' land and will then cry foul when they are being killed like suyas in the North, south africa, asia continent or when they being 'bused' down from Lagos to SE. He continued that whatever happens to them in south africa is no business of his but in Lagos, they will continue to 'bus' them back to SE.
That was the statement he made but the cry babies turned his statement into headline like 'Nigerian doctor wants igbo to be killed', 'Dr. Ariyo says people should kill all ibos' and e.t.c. That is the manipulation Dr. Ariyo was talking about, he never said someone hacked his social media account.
Did I make mention of ibo and comprehension problem? Geez!

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Struggle Through The Eyes Of Julius Nyerere. by pazienza(m): 11:23am On May 17, 2015
On the issue of carrying the non Igbo groups in Biafra along, Ojukwu did his best. He divided Biafra into provinces, to enable the non Igbo groups control their destiny. In Biafra, the non Igbo groups of Biafra got 8 provinces with indigenous administrators, Gowon gave them only three.

What else would Ojukwu had done for Eastern non Igbo groups, the people were simply drunk with Igbophobia, nothing he would have done would have been good enough.

In Gakem, Biafrans were hated and sabotaged by the natives for setting up war camps in the area, to protect the area from invading Nigerian Army, Gakem natives accused Biafrans of disrupting their town's economic activities, and went stealthily at night to defuse Biafrans bombs at night,so that when the Nigerian Army invaded the area, Biafrans lost, as the bombs refused to blow.

Meanwhile, I have heard some non Igbo folks blame Biafra for not puting up enough fight to protect non Igbo regions of Biafra.
But simple relocation of natives of Kalabari to Chokochoko( Etche) to reduce the civilian casualties in readiness for direct confrontation with the Nigerian Army, were interpreted by the natives as a secret move by Ndiigbo to relocate them from their homeland and after the war replace them with Ndiigbo. Never mind the fact that many Igbo communities were relocated in such manner during the war.

Any move by Ojukwu during the war was given negative intentions by non Igbos, in their eyes Ndiigbo could never do right.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Exercise 'cat Race' Yielding Positive Results, Says Middle Belt Group / Release Turaki Now, PDP Tells EFCC / Gani Adams: Southerners Spend ₦8 Billion Daily On Beef Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.