Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,206 members, 7,891,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 07:35 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (240) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (549087 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by USBound: 8:08pm On Jul 20, 2011
@Shewhy: Congrats. Kindly post your interview. And, what is the arrangement of consulars in the consulate? Who is to be avoided? I am going very soon.

@ALL: What is this thing about changing embassy from lagos to abj or vice-versa after being denied once. Shewhy changed his consulate and still got it. What is missing?

shewhy:

Hello y'all. Just to tell you i got my visa today at the Lagos consulate. Even though i have been bounced twice at Abj in Jan and Feb this year respectively but i never give up. I thank everyone for there posts and comment here. It really helps. Keep the nairaland spirit going and hope to see y'all in the Nairaland party in the U.S, lol. One love

Regards,
Shewhy
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2011
USBound:

@Shewhy: Congrats. Kindly post your interview. And, what is the arrangement of consulars in the consulate? Who is to be avoided? I am going very soon.

@ALL: What is this thing about changing embassy from lagos to abj or vice-versa after being denied once. Shewhy changed his consulate and still got it. What is missing?

Changing embassy from Lagos to Abuja or vice-versa after being denied does not matter, the important thing is 'has your situation changed from the last denial'.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shewhy: 8:42pm On Jul 20, 2011
thanx y'all. the interview was crazy long. I'll gather it up and will post it asap. God bless

Regards,
Shewhy
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Prizeluv: 9:12pm On Jul 20, 2011
I want to no wat are my chances of getting a visa,i applied for an emergency because my i-20 arrived late and i have finished secondary school three years ago but work at d palace till date.wat are my chances of getting a visa.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ifecx4real: 10:57pm On Jul 20, 2011
Good day nairalanders and prostective us students.

Today i want to start something to help we student visa applicant be more prepared and enlightened for our interveiw.

Please everyone is requested to drop your answer no matter how short or irrelevant you think it might be. everyone is expected to particpate

Every day am gonna drop some set of questions and you all are free to drop ur opinion/answers if it was you dat was asked the questions during the interveiw and the way you would answer it. please do not judge anybody on their answers, just say what you would answer and how if it were you and make repectfull correction if necessary.

Todays questions

Q.1) Why do you wish to study in USA and not in nigeria?

Q.2) What if you get a US degree here nigeria, would you like to go to US again for higher Studies?

Q.3) Why did you select US for higher studies? Isn't this course offered by any university or college in Nigeria?

Q.4) What is the purpose of your trip?

Q.5) Have you ever been to US?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nnamdistan: 11:12pm On Jul 20, 2011
Thanks guys. Lemme address your comments.

Ayanfe22:

What is the total amount to have on both statements? Do u mean all d money you need to pay is 1000$? If so, den a 90000 naira atstement is more than enough. If it an undergrad degree, you have to be able to show that if u loose your scholarship or funding, you will be able to pay subsequent years. I think you are good to go. May God see you through. All dis atatement self, u might be one of the lucky few who won't be asked for statement,  Just pray. Where is nellywho?
Yes, I'm going for an undergrad degree. Actually, there is nothing in his personal account. The company account however had nine hundred thousand Naira. Like some Nigerian's, there is little seperation between business and family.

GboyegaD:

I would suggest you talk to an uncle or close family friend who has about N5million so that you can put same in your dad's account and leave it there until some days to your interview and print same out. Do not give the VO any reason whatsoever to deny you.

Dear GboyegaD, unfortunately such an uncle does not exist in my case sad. Hopefully, that does not mean I'm screwed.

imperiouxx:

@nnamdistan,

Do as you are told. Don't let that goodie of $54,000 waste ooo. Ask yourself this first, Incase I'm unable to meet up to renew my scholarship, how will I get to finance myself? So, you have to show V.O you are capable even without that scholarship. Still, know that that scholarship place you on a favorable side with the V.O. Guy, I just dey jealous that your goodie too much.

I understand you guys point, although the likelihood of my losing my scholarship is really low. I'm a social science student who managed to beat several science students to earn this, and I don't mean to boast, but I have a great work ethic and I'm deeply aware of how extremely fortunate and privileged I am to have gotten this scholarship. But that one no concern VO. I just hope all goes well.

SEFAGO:

Hey mate I know quite a number of people who have attended LACs and have very high financial aid. All things being equal they rarely asked for their bank statement. But if they do then it would be at the discretion of the officer to decide if what you provide is sufficient. Company accounts though can be a red flag because the officer might not ask you those company docs and remember that student interviews are very short and you might not have time to explain yourself.

Good luck though- I doubt you really have anything to worry about

Wow, if the VO doesn't ask me for the documents, I'll be screwed. I think i'll prevent that by not just handing over the bank statement and waiting for him to ask me, "this is not an individual's bank statement", I'll tell him upfront "This statement is my fathers company bank statement - he does not really separate business from family". What do you guys think?

And before I'm asked, no, my mom does not even have a bank account, she is a housewife.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cezeozue: 11:36pm On Jul 20, 2011
This might not be as helpful as posting my interview experience (it hasn't happened yet) but for as many people want to go to EcoBank at Seme to pay for the SEVIS fee, you might want to leave early in the morning. I left my office in Lekki around 10:30am thinking Seme was just around the corner and arrived there by 4:00pm. Thankfully, the bank closes by 5:00pm.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seedord247(m): 4:24am On Jul 21, 2011
Yankee Visa Sweet to collect but he no sweewt to live if you know get money ooooo
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lailai2(m): 8:25am On Jul 21, 2011
At the embassy, chillin for interview at 10. . . .shouldn't have come this early, that sleep wasn't enough smiley
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ifecx4real: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2011
goodluck lai-lai
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by HisLove247: 8:40am On Jul 21, 2011
In my opinion. This is the best forum on nairaland. I only became a member today, although in the past weeks, I have read this forum like a Bible. Trust me when i say that any serious US student visa applicant MUST visit this forum. A close family member had his visa interview on monday hence our addiction to this forum. He Got the Visa and I will try and get the interview details soon for the benefit of others. In the meantime, I believe it is imperative that I mention the following;

1. I know this has been said over and over again in this forum but I must say again that being prepared and confident CANNOT be over emphasised.
2. As someone earlier mentioned, I can testify to the fact that there are no ABSOLUTE red flags. Please see below for the applicants potential red flags which we pointed out prior to the VI and prepared adequately for:
a. No previous travel outside of Nigeria.
b. He is 30years and not married
c. applied to only one school
d. Financial support was from applicant and a non family member (and he did not diguise this). It was stated in the I20, Visa application form and affidavit of support, his true relationship with the sponsor and when asked at the interview, he confidently said that although the sponsor is not a blood relative, he is as close as Family.
3. Most importantly, the importance of Praying and Fasting cannot be over emphasised because it is only when God has taken charge that everything stated above becomes relevant.
Once again, thanks to all those who have contributed to this forum. I wish all potential and successful appants God's Favour.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shewhy: 9:06am On Jul 21, 2011
OK - This is how my interview went. I got to the consulate at 10:00 PM, went in immediately and passed through the security checks. When i got into the interview center, I am to pass through another security check so i was called by a lady in window 8. She checked my DS-160 form and informed me that there was an error with my name that i should go and fix it in 30 min. I quickly rushed out to a cybercafe, got it fixed and entered for my interview back. I was called by another woman and i passed the security check this time. One funny thing that i observed was that my passport and my i20 was not returned to me after the checks, and i noticed that they return it to others. I just sat down waiting for the thumb print guy to call me to come and collect my passport, not until i heard the computer announced my ticket number to go to window 5 for the interview. I stood up with courage and to my surprise, my passport and other docs is with the lady to interview me already. I made a quick silent prayer cos i was expecting the call that fast. My ticket number is 124 and they were still attending to people with ticket 105. just wondering why the call my ticket number that fast and why they give the VO my passport and not returning it to me. The interview went thus

Me: Good morning maam
VO: Good morning

VO: It appears that you want to go and study in the US
Me: Yes maam

why do you choose to study in the US
Well, I am going into aviation and i believe they have the best training equipment for me

Oh OK, why do you choose the school
I told her the reason. (The school is among the few school in the US that has been approved by the FAA and bla bla bla)

When do you finish your high school

So do you go to any other school here in Nigeria
Yes maam, I went to international school of aviation

When did you finish
I finished 2010

What course did u do at the school
I did Air ticketing and reservation

Does that relate to flying an airplane?
No, maam, but its a foundation course in aviation. those are the first thing to know before proceeding to the flight sch

OK, Tell me what you learn at the school
I explained

Did you fly an airplane there?
No, we were just instructed, but i will be thought how to fly an airplane in the US

Oh OK, So why do you choose your sch in the US
(I think in my mind say sebi u don ask before abi u no get memory ni, but i no get choice i just tell her again)

Did you applied to other schools
Yes maam

Can you please tell me
I named them

Why do you choose the course
I explained

So what do you want to do after your studies.
Well, I will come back to Nigeria and convert my FFA licence to a Nigerian licence, that will give me the opportunity to work as first officers with the best airlines here in Nigeria

Do you want to work with the Military
No maam, I want to work with the normal airlines

She checked my passport and saw some visas there

It appears that you have travelled to xxxx and xxxx
Yes maam

Can i know why you travelled there
Just for vacation and to visit an uncle

Oh OK, so who is paying for your trip
My father

What is he doing?
He is into wood processing, has a company of himself

Can i see his financial statement
I showed her.

OK, I will give you your visa, pick it up at the designated location and have a safe trip to the US
(The thing be as if i dey dream, lol) Thank you maam, Thank you

I ran out of the interview center in joyous mood. Y'all see it was not an easy interview at all. so much question. Cant remember some of the questions again. I just thank God i came out successfully.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by next2TX: 11:05am On Jul 21, 2011
@shewy, congrats,  wishin  all oda applicants including maself   wink, d best of luck!!!
lai-lai:

At the embassy, chillin for interview at 10. . . .shouldn't have come this early, that sleep wasn't enough   smiley
@lailai, all fingers crossed 4u, keep prayin, nd d visa is urs, GRAB IT!!
cezeozue:

This might not be as helpful as posting my interview experience (it hasn't happened yet) but for as many people want to go to EcoBank at Seme to pay for the SEVIS fee, you might want to leave early in the morning. I left my office in Lekki around 10:30am thinking Seme was just around the corner and arrived there by 4:00pm. Thankfully, the bank closes by 5:00pm.
.for doz dat re going get dis in your mind, u will have to change N37890 to 106100 CFA to pay 200 dolls.not icluding tippin doz seme guys, with my scope i spent jus N750 nd if your route is orile axis mennnn traffic palava. it wuz fun bur stressful. budget 40k plus, i can tel u more on this if u want.

@super brain, dont av anything doing now, my sevis rcpt is under processing wana apply 4 expedite appointmnt now, i think am gud to go. o boi na LASGDIDI ooo. smiley
@ tonytone, i will holla u soon, av bn so busy. thanks man.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nellywho(f): 1:07pm On Jul 21, 2011
@Djdammy21,Thanks for all Ur prayers , my interview is on the 18th of Aug not this month.keep the prayers coming, Please hose am going for a nursing program and its in a collage Wat re the likely questions
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by totful: 4:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
@ Shewy: Congrats!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by keyne(f): 6:03pm On Jul 21, 2011
ok, gtood luck to everyone who is applying, the day i went was a terrible day, EVERY student was denied but me I came, saw and CONQUERED
Interview day
Me in my corporate dressing with a big smile
CO: Hello, how are you doing
ME: Fine, thank u sir( LOOKING INTO HIS EYES TO SHOW CONFIDENCE), and u?
CO: *smiles* am good
ASKS FOR MY DOCUMENTS, CHECKS TRANSCRIPTS,
Why do you want to go abroad?
I tell him my major which is business mgt/admin, and how usa will make me a great manager( well, i said loads of crap but I WAS LOOKING INTO HIS EYES and SMILING)
CO:Why have you chosen this university?
ME:This Uni is a small liberal arts univ that will not only give me my much needed education but see me as an individual, not as another student, TELLS HIM CLASS SIZE N FACULTY NONSENSE
CO:Who will sponsor your education?
My dad. shows him letter of support, bank statement, (unfortunately, my dad's letterhead didnt include his website, )
CO: Where is ur dad's website ad bla bla bla
ME: *nervous already* Sir(SMILING AND LOOKING INTO HIS EYES) my dad website is under construction but that is his company, ( I launch into what my dad does and bla bla bla)

CO:Why don't you study this course at your own country?
ME: Tells him of strikes and bla bla bla(usual format), consular agents doesnt budge, me keeps talking, I say that the foreign experience wld also give me the edge needed to succeed in the business world.

CO:Why have you chosen this course?
ME: Hmmm( I pause), *eyes lit up and talks enthusiastically while smiling AND LOOKING into his eyes*, I love business, the risks and the ability to manage not just resources but pple effectively gives me a thrill. I know I would be a great manager cos I have what it takes

CO:What do you know about your university?
MEsadin my mind, na wa o, u don ask before na), i repeat wht i said above

CO: What will you do after you complete your studies
ME: hmmm, I will use my OPT to work for a yr and gain experience then come back to MANAGE my dad's firm

CO:*smiles*
oooo, u mean u will come back to WORK for ur dad

ME: No sir, I will come back to RUN/MANAGE my dad's firm not work
CO: good, u will come back and manage his firm

co: Asks me abt my intended state and y?
ME: normal stuff, the south is warm,, abiltity to aclimatize, bla bla

TRICK QUESTION
Where is ur school located, as in east, west,,
ME: South,

CO:*looks and me*
ME: *smiles a little*
CO: checks his paper on the wall or whtvr, hands me a slip for me to come the next 2 days(or was it 3, cant remember), tells me to have a great school year and a safe flight
ME:*thank u sir and pls do have a lovely day*

Security guard outside: did they give u
Me: yes
S.G: congrats o, today being bad
ME: *goes outside, screams , goes homeP

GOOD LUCK GUYS
please BE CONFIDENT, even IF U ARE THROWN OFF BALANCE, SMILE, RECOUP n REFIRE
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by keyne(f): 6:08pm On Jul 21, 2011
I forgot to ad, they know students go to MET and oda agents for visa counsellin, dnt give them the old tired story, they told lots of students that *PLS, WE DO NOT WANT TO HEAR WHAT U HAVE BEEN TOLD TO SAY BY MET AND ODAS, *
and please know the exact place ur school is and take tym to read abt the school and state

P.S, How did u get ur school
DNT EVER SAY:::A FRIEND,OR WHTVR
U shld show that u got it urself or from an educational advisor or high school counsellor
PLEASE, LISTEN TO THE QUESTIONS BEFORE ANSWERING,

GOOD LUCK!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Adolite(m): 7:46pm On Jul 21, 2011
KeyneTRICK QUESTION
Where is your school located, as in east, west,,
ME: South,,

Do you mean the location in USA or the location in the state
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Saylawchar(m): 8:30pm On Jul 21, 2011
congratulations to all the successful landers who have gone and conquer!!!

I was able to secure appointment for August 25th, 2011 but am expected to resume on or before August 16, 2011 so I wrote to the embassy through the emergency request form for an earlier date of interview and I hope to hear from them soonest.

Can anybody please advise me on what to bear in mind as I prepare for the interview, I actually finished high school O3 and obtained diploma cert from other school from 04 to 06. Had accident b/w '06 to '07 so stayed back @home to relax till O8 and later worked as a Lab Attendant till date from where I picked interest in Laboratory jobs.

Have been offered undergraduate admission to study Biology in a US university with partial out of state scholarship, my dad will be sponsoring me. Please what do I bear in mind cos I have all my documents ready, and what should be my ideal dressing mode, suit or what?

Pls respond ASAP. Thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kidUrbane: 8:32pm On Jul 21, 2011
@ House
Am planning on re-applying.the reason i was denied the last time i went for the F1 interview was because my  sponsor had insufficient amount of money in his statement of account.from what I've read from this thread so far i understand the us embassy keeps a record of every documents submitted.The sponsor indicated on  DS 160 form i filled (2009) was my uncle and now i want to go with my dad's statement of account as he is now financially capable to sponsor me, what should i say if asked about why i was denied the last time and if i still had the same sponsor or perhaps why did i change my sponsor?
It was indicated on my I20 as family funds Nigeria).
House abeg i need help make una come to my aid oo
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2011
seedord247:

Yankee Visa Sweet to collect but he no sweewt to live if you know get money ooooo

Shakin my head continuously, Strolling out,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vicidomini: 9:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
vicidomini:

@Ayanfe22 and all

Hello, Thanks for the info regarding getting an Expedited Date by self. I have followed carefully your instructions and it was confirmed on their website exactly the way to go about it. After sending them the email with all necessary details i was sent an email stating:

Dear U.S. Visa Applicant,

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Embassy/Consulate. Your emergency appointment request is approved.

To book your appointment, go to the U.S. visa services website at www.ustraveldocs.com, choose your country and then click the green "APPLY NOW" button on the right side of the page. The online instructions will guide you through your application. Please note that the website will not allow you to schedule an emergency appointment if you have not already paid your MRV fee.  Be sure to have your paid receipt number available when scheduling.

Please find the description for Approval  

After following their instruction i found myself logging on to the (force.com) page that already had my previously scheduled appointment before writing to them.

My question is do i cancel my previous appointment and reschedule if a date would be available that way. i would be glad if you could help asap with info.

Any one who has info on this i would be very happy to get results on how to go about this.

Thanks.

YES, u have to cancel and when u want to book again, there will be closer dates!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Ayanfe22: 10:38pm On Jul 21, 2011
Vicidomi, pls can u post the brief decsription of what u wrote in your emerggecny appointment application? How long after you aPplied did u get a response? These are questions others have been asking. Meanwhile, u need to canel d existin appointment to reschedule. Earlier dates b4 d date on ur i20 will be displayed.!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ifecx4real: 11:04pm On Jul 21, 2011
@vici how long did it take for them to approve your exped. appointment and was it to your email add that they sent you the confirmation that it had been approved?.

TODAYS QUESTIONS

Q.6) Which US university are you planning to go to?

Q.7) Can you tell me some details about your university?

Q.cool Why have you chosen this specific university?

Q.9) Can you tell me the location of the university/college?

Q.10) Why did you choose this institute and how did you find about it?

Q.11) How many US universities did you apply for? (Both admits and rejects)

Q.12) Can you mention the names of some professors?

Q.13) Did you receive any scholarships?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 11:46pm On Jul 21, 2011
When is it good to put interview for those resuming in spring 2012 (Jan 18)?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by phy: 1:09am On Jul 22, 2011
imperiouxx:

When is it good to put interview for those resuming in spring 2012 (Jan 18)?

i'll suggest november.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vicidomini: 1:12am On Jul 22, 2011
@nairaspace: Thanks.

@Ayanfe22 : I just did this but i cannot find any dates available before the date on my i-20. I even have a date days added from the one i previously picked. How many times can i try to reschedule like this? very bothered.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vicidomini: 1:16am On Jul 22, 2011
@ifecx4real : sent email on tuesday and got reply on thursday.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 2:32am On Jul 22, 2011
vicidomini:

@ifecx4real : sent email on tuesday and got reply on thursday.

if u choose lagos before applying expedited date, u cant schedule abuja when approved expedited date!

(1) (2) (3) ... (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.