Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,488 members, 7,901,389 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 09:24 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (549611 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by tos4jesus: 4:32pm On Apr 12, 2010
Hi my fellow nl. I'm currently deciding where to spend my masters either in U.K or U.S.A, i'd  rather study in the states but the $40,000 including tuition fees and expenses is my only worries, compared to U.K £19000 (including rent and expenses).

I suppose my bottom line questions are, 

1  what are the average costs of studying postgraduates courses in a good University in the states?
2  How can i get a scholarship, i understand one of the requirements is a very good Gpa scores. Please does it automatically qualifies you for a scholarship.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by BeeMe: 2:49pm On Apr 13, 2010
i thank God that i have been given the VISAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 5:16pm On Apr 13, 2010
Congrat!!!!!!!!!! ao was the interview mhen?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by BeeMe: 8:22pm On Apr 13, 2010
the interview was this morning. questions were not much cause i will be studying @ Harvard University
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ayosco2008(m): 5:41pm On Apr 14, 2010
[b]Please can somebody tell how i can pay application fees from Nigeria(excluding credit card) please i need urgent reply Pleaseeeeeeeeee
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 6:08pm On Apr 14, 2010
ayosco2008:

[b]Please can somebody tell how i can pay application fees from Nigeria(excluding credit card) please i need urgent reply Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Excluding credit card? Well if you have a domiciliary account in GTB or you know someone that has one, you can raise a foreign draft. But it can only be done at their head office in VI. I'll advise you walk to the nearest skye bank, pick up a prepaid Visa card and end your problems. Just my 2cents.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 6:22pm On Apr 14, 2010
BeeMe:

the interview was this morning. questions were not much cause i will be studying @ Harvard University

Congrats BeeMe. That's more like it.

@ All, please all those going in for Fall 2010 can we start discussing, admission offers, arrival of I-20's and scheduling of Interview appointments. I am still waiting for an admission decision from three schools though I got an offer from a university in Oklahoma for Phd Chem Engr. and the required amount yearly is $25,000. Any suggestions as to what amount range my sponsor should have in his account? Also my sponsor is my uncle ( we share the same last name) and he intends to stand in as my guardian. Would this raise a red flag?

tos4jesus:

Hi my fellow nl. I'm currently deciding where to spend my masters either in U.K or U.S.A, i'd  rather study in the states but the $40,000 including tuition fees and expenses is my only worries, compared to U.K £19000 (including rent and expenses).

I suppose my bottom line questions are, 

1  what are the average costs of studying postgraduates courses in a good University in the states?
2  How can i get a scholarship, i understand one of the requirements is a very good Gpa scores. Please does it automatically qualifies you for a scholarship.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Where did you get that information from? Some schools in US might be more expensive than schools in the UK but on a general note, grad school in US is cheaper than in the UK. You did not state your major so there is little I can say. What did you study? What schools in the US do you hope to apply to? What was your graduating gpa? Are you going in for a research degree or a non-thesis degree? These and many more I ask through Jesus Christ our Lord,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by tos4jesus: 10:13pm On Apr 14, 2010
@ superbrain

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently in my final year in U.C.L studying electrical & Electronics (BEng). And I'm hoping by the grace of God to have a first class (Predictably 3.7 or above). I'm planning to go for masters in electrical Engineering (Definitely a research degree). All the ones i've been checking seems expensive like Rice university which tuition fees is $31,150 excluding rent, insurance and other expenses.
Please can some who have an idea about the price, suggest any good universities in a maximum range of $30000 including tuition fees and annual living expenses.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 5:03pm On Apr 15, 2010
@tos4jesus, check www.msinus.com and pick a school from the many that are available. You can also access the schools based on rank, acceptance rate, cut-off scores for TOEFL and GRE, and also for funding opportunities. Since you are going in for a research degree, you may want to consider applying to schools that offer financial aid for Masters studies. It'll help reduce your costs. Need more info? Let us know on the thread.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Lekel(m): 5:14pm On Apr 15, 2010
BeeMe:

my visa interview is next tomorrow. for a 2 months course. my company is sending me.
i have the following document
sevis (paid)
my 1-20
proof of payment of school fees
company bank statement for 6 months(original)

hello @beeme,

Please how did you paid your SEVIS fee?

I noticed that the SEVIS fee can't be paid online at www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/ for any SEVIS number that's associated with Nigeria.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a really short time to help my sister pay the fee. Tried paying with both Nigerian and US credit card, no show. Asked at Ecobank, no show! Even the guys at VFS Global couldn't tell me how to go about it within the country. Eventually, I had to transfer money to the US (transfer charges and all) and couriered the I-20 (guess i shouldn't have) before eventually paying it through Western Union over in the US. Not before my sis had to change her student VISA interview date though. Clumsy and a bit more expensive than needed (since i had to courier documents back and forth). Anyway, i thank God it was settle with no issues and just a slight delay.

Am going to be paying another SEVIS fee soon for myself. So, please do let me know if you have an easier incountry way of paying. will appreciate it.

Cheers
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 5:28pm On Apr 15, 2010
Thats still the best option of payment since most western union agents in NIgeria dont offer the Quck Pay service and ICE dont accept credit cards from Nigeria, JUst tell the person abroad to mail the cheque with the I-797 form to SEVIS office and the return address should be in Nigeria
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 5:36pm On Apr 15, 2010
@superbrain, going in for Fall 2010 @ UMBC, all thats left is my visa appointment which holds next month, wasup wit ya?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by BeeMe: 8:51pm On Apr 15, 2010
it was paid for in the US by some one 1 know.
it cost 200 dollars
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SOPHOS: 1:27pm On Apr 16, 2010
Nice thread.Those looking for a quality,cheap and affordable American university education,open your ears.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by tos4jesus: 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2010
@ Superbrain

Thanks a lot. What a great site it is!

Thanks again
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 5:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
tos4jesus:

@ Superbrain

Thanks again

You're highly welcome.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 5:10pm On Apr 16, 2010
Has one gotten visa recently? pls how is the interview like @ the embassy in lagos. I will be going for my interview soon.wat r those docs asides I-20, i needed to taken there. Though av nt gotten my SEVIS reciept but i shud be getting it soon. I trust you all will reply me in due course, this thread as been very helpful, i cnt do without readin it in a day, pls am waiting for you response
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 5:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
khunleah, guess we both on same ship then, my interview is also close.going for it in the month of may, when is urs?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta1: 5:39pm On Apr 16, 2010
study in a cheap,quality and an affordable American university with a tuition of just 5,400 us dollars per yr.call 07067196075
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 7:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
sparta 1:

study in a cheap,quality and an affordable American university with a tuition of just 5,400 us dollars per yr.call 07067196075

Why the hell should anyone call you? Go and create your own thread if you want to sell any information to anyone. On this thread, you'll have to post your information. DECIDE! angry angry angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2010
tos4jesus:

@ Superbrain

Thanks again

When you're done making your choice, do let me know. Some information provided on the site are not true in their entirety. I'm glad I could be of help to you.

@ House, Please fall 2010 applicants should start letting us know how far they've gone with their applications and interviews!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta1: 7:07pm On Apr 16, 2010
Fair enough.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Sangman(m): 9:40pm On Apr 16, 2010
I have a younger cousin in Naija that wants to come to the States for tertiary education. I'm not sure he's really that strong academically, as he had some problems with remedial classes @ FUTO. But family is really getting on me to help him cross, because in the their minds, when you come the US, everything magically becomes better. So I want to give him a chance.
Please I need advice on the general requirements for Nigerian students seeking post secondary education in the US (or UK). In other words, what should he start doing on his end?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 10:47am On Apr 17, 2010
Sangman:

I have a younger cousin in Naija that wants to come to the States for tertiary education. I'm not sure he's really that strong academically, as he had some problems with remedial classes @ FUTO. But family is really getting on me to help him cross, because in the their minds, when you come the US, everything magically becomes better. So I want to give him a chance.
Please I need advice on the general requirements for Nigerian students seeking post secondary education in the US (or UK). In other words, what should he start doing on his end?

If he has good WAEC results, let him start preparing for the SAT and TOEFL tests. Search for a good community college or university in the US that offer scholarships to international students. There are a few schools that could give him a scholarship with a good SAT score. But if he does not perform well in those standardized tests, then he had better stay back in naija and get his first degree. A lizard in Nigeria can not become an aligator in US.

Check Howard University in Washington DC. They offer great packages for international students. You could also check out schools in your current location.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 11:05am On Apr 17, 2010
@vandops, mine is may 2, av u got all ur docs ready? wat r those things u av gotten?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta1: 11:10am On Apr 17, 2010
@Khunleah,which school were you admitted to.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by khunleah: 11:22am On Apr 17, 2010
@sparta, NAU!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta1: 11:54am On Apr 17, 2010
NAU-Northern Arizona University flagstaff campus?There is an active poster in this thread that studies in that university too.(nethacker)
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by geminititan: 1:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
Ok, i'm new 2 all dis visa, i-20 nd sevis talk nd i nid sm1 2 put me thru 4rm A-Z.

I'm a 300l student nd i want 2 get a masters degree in d us. My questns r
1. What time of d year shud i start applyin 2 skools?
2. Is it wiser 2 do my nysc b4 i go?
3. How is d visa nd admission process lyk exactly 4rm a-z?
4. Is it easy 2 get work nd live in d us afta my masters degree?

Please, please sm1 reply!

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.