Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,943 members, 7,962,999 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:08 PM

Who Are The Edo People? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Edo People? (29917 Views)

Kindness Okpe, 22-Year-Old SSA To Obaseki, The Edo State Governor (Photos) / Ize-Iyamu's Message To Edo Residents After The Edo Election (pic, Video) / PDP Posts Video Ridiculing Oshiomhole/APC, Edo People React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

Foolish rat like you... abeg go sit down.
like I said before, it hurts to be cursed.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
wytecat:
Are you hearing of Lamurudu for the first time? If no traditional institution talk about, did you then learn about him from Arab's history?

Lamurudu = Nimrod
Why would a muslim scholar write about them passing through Gobir if it didn't happen? Some Ijebus were the last to come after oduduwa, and came straight to our present abode, and that's what Awujale meant that some didn't go through Ile Ife.

True, Oduduwa didn't look anywhere for authority, but that doesn't mean that he didn't communicate with his root, reason Yoruba who migrated at different times still found each other in the new world. And my oriki has both Ife and middle east "omo Ife owodaye" in it.

Have the tomb of Moses or other great prophets been found?

No I've actually read Samuel Johnson's book - the was the popular book Declaring Oduduwa's father to be an Arab Monarch named nimrod

But to believe that means you've never thought over it. ..

Sir, no traditional institution talked about Lamurudu - infact that name comes as a surprise to our traditional custodians. .. which Olorisas speak of Lamurudu? I'll be glad for you to prove me wrong

Muslims would have propagated that lame story to justify their conversion to islam by creating a false connection with arabs

Also Ijebus didn't come from sudan or mecca. ..that's what people say in many books but the Ijebu-jesa where Obanta settled for a while and had a son is said to record a movement from Ife and no reference to sudan or mecca

Yoruba in the new world are descended from the people taken to the Americas during the transatlantic trade period

Nd u think Owodaiye is middle-east? Oh my! Who did this to you?
Owodaiye is a famous appellation for Ife. .. Ife owodaye is the first yoruba civilization that was destroyed by flood. Ile-Ife of today is the rebuilt Ife owodaye

What's my business with Moses? Am I to concern myself with Jewish ancestors?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2015
bokohalal:

Go find out when and how Ibadan came about.

Ok tell me something I don't know
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

like I said before, it hurts to be cursed.

I have three business ventures that will blossom in the next couple of years, me and my family are in good health. I'm financially stable, I'm in a great state of mind and I'm reaching my strength training goals so I highly doubt I'm cursed. Go fucck off somewhere hahah.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

No I've actually read Samuel Johnson's book - the was the popular book Declaring Oduduwa's father to be an Arab Monarch named nimrod

But to believe that means you've never thought over it. ..

Sir, no traditional institution talked about Lamurudu - infact that name comes as a surprise to our traditional custodians. .. which Olorisas speak of Lamurudu? I'll be glad for you to prove me wrong

Muslims would have propagated that lame story to justify their conversion to islam by creating a false connection with arabs

Also Ijebus didn't come from sudan or mecca. ..that's what people say in many books but the Ijebu-jesa where Obanta settled for a while and had a son is said to record a movement from Ife and no reference to sudan or mecca

Yoruba in the new world are descended from the people taken to the Americas during the transatlantic trade period

Nd u think Owodaiye is middle-east? Oh my! Who did this to you?
Owodaiye is a famous appellation for Ife. .. Ife owodaye is the first yoruba civilization that was destroyed by flood. Ile-Ife of today is the rebuilt Ife owodaye

What's my business with Moses? Am I to concern myself with Jewish ancestors?

True. The Yoruba influence is strong in Cuba, Brazil and other parts of the Americas I'll give you guys that. Ever since 2000, I've always connected Cuba to Yorubaland.. there's always been a connection between them and you guys.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

I have three business ventures that will blossom in the next couple of years, me and my family are in good health. I'm financially stable, I'm in a great state of mind and I'm reaching my strength training goals so I highly doubt I'm cursed. Go fucck off somewhere hahah.
guy its not my fault that u are from a broke and cursed family. No matter the situation there would always be a big difference between elite and commoner.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 10:19pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

Ok tell me something I don't know

Ibadan was formed in 1829. 1829!
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
toludadon:

I presume you are the stupid one here, you called a true son of Ile oluyole a Yoruba wannabe? The point is that Oduduwa didn't come from the Middle East, he was the son of the last ogiso of Benin that was supposed to be killed on the order of the Ogiso due to the influence of one of his wives who accused him of bewitching his father's wives and preventing all of them from giving birth to a male child. Those were supposed to execute him saw his innocence, hence they told him to flee and he moved in a direction that was East of Ile Ife, with stopover at places like Owo, he had to move farther because he realized that Owo was still part of Benin Kingdom and he could easily be found out.. He moved to Ile Ife and met Yoruba speaking people there who he told that he was from heaven, an attribute of the Ogiso, who believe that a king is born not elected as it is still practiced today in Benin Kingdom that a successor to the throne is named at his birth. He was made king in Ile Ife as the first Ooni after which he gave birth to many children including Oranmiyan. When his father died in Benin , they appointed an administrator who looked over the kingdom but made attempt to make his son his successor, it was at that point that the people of Benin revolted against him and made him know that the son of the late Ogiso was still alive as against the earlier believe of having being killed, hence they sent a delegation to Ile Ife to go and fetch Oduduwa who refused to follow them and instead told them that he had found a home in Ile Ife. When they realized it would be impossible to get him to yield to their demand, they asked for one his sons to follow them, which he obliged by sending Oranmiyan to follow them, that is what was erroneously recorded as Yoruba people sent a king to Benin , the said king was a descendant of Oduduwa who qualifies to be called a Benin royal blood through the outcast Oduduwa.. When Oranmiyan got to Benin he faced stiff opposition with the son of the administrator that wanted to also rule, he was ruling over Benin at that time and got married to a Benin woman who gave birth to a son named Iweka, Oranmiyan brought yoruba language to Benin and they began calling their kings as Oba instead of Ogiso they were used to, when the opposition became so much, he left Benin Kingdom in annoyance and called the land Ile Ibinu which later metamorphosed to Benin.. His son Iweka became the first Oba of Benin.. Oranmiyan left for Oyo to become the first Alaafin,.
If Oduduwa came from Mecca, how come it was not documented in any Arabian history?
Move beyond grandstanding and find out the truth about how yorubas came to be..
Our historians should take a position to decide whether yoruba people descended from Oduduwa or there were already Yoruba people that Oduduwa met at Ile Ife.
Like I told you, omo Ibadan nile oluyole, ilu ogunmola, ilu ibikunle, ti n je igbin jekarahun , Ibadan maja maja ti won fi n ko ara iwaju lejo

Stop believing this Benin lie. Benin chiefs know the truth. Ekaladerhan most likely died at Ughoton

Let's even imagine Oduduwa was Ekaladerhan. ..There's no way benin people will know that and Ife wouldn't

Oduduwa and Ekaladerhan have different personality
1. Oodua was not a hunter
2. Oduduwa was not a healer
3. Oduduwa was not a forest dweller

He was a fully established man in Ife and began plotting to usurp power from Obatala

No reference to Igodomigodo at all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

guy its not my fault that u are from a broke and cursed family. No matter the situation there would always be a big difference between elite and commoner.

You repeat the same garbage again and again you wretched idiot. My family is upper middle class here in US. My mom is a licensed RN while my dad is a realtor making six figs a year. So me and family are more than comfortable you dunce. And you're talking about elite? Niggaa you don't exude any class whatsoever... I'm better than you... Go on these Igbo/Biafra threads and hop off my nutss.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

You repeat the same garbage again and again you wretched idiot. My family is upper middle class here in US. My mom is a licensed RN while my dad is a realtor making six figs a year. So me and family are more than comfortable you dunce. And you're talking about elite? Niggaa you don't exude any class whatsoever... I'm better than you... Go on these Igbo/Biafra threads and hop off my nutss.
common shutup because ur dad went to deceive one white woman to get green card and managed to save ur mom from italy and bore u, u are now claiming right, there is a reason y most people never show even a pic or release there identity on Nairaland, empty barrels make the loudest noise.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

common shutup because ur dad went to deceive one white woman to get green card and managed to save ur mom from italy and bore u, u are now claiming right, there is a reason y most people never show even a pic or release there identity on Nairaland, empty barrels make the loudest noise.

The Bleep is wrong with you. My dad hustled and came to the US with his OWN money.. my mom is also very virtuous and works for her own money as well. You pathetic faggott did an Edo guy beat you up or where rejected by an Edo girl? Is that why you bitchh about Edo people all the time? And I'm not boasting about anything I just told you that me and my family all live well and work for what we have. I guess that shatters the stereotype that only Igbos work hard.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:57pm On Sep 10, 2015
bokohalal:

Ibadan started out much longer than that but yeah It developed into a city at 1829

However you said pre-colonial ..1829 is precolonial
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

The Bleep is wrong with you. My dad hustled and came to the US with his OWN money.. my mom is also very virtuous and works for her own money as well. You pathetic faggott did an Edo guy beat you up or where rejected by an Edo girl? Is that why you bitchh about Edo people all the time? And I'm not boasting about anything I just told you that me and my family all live well and work for what we have. I guess that shatters the stereotype that only Igbos work hard.
seriously u edo people are beginning to turn me into a Nairaland tribalist, u guys are trying sha, after u are done hating someone and his tribe and saying hate comments about them u wud see ur friend from that tribe and open ur teeth with him or her and ur conscience wont hunt u ppl... undecided

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

True. The Yoruba influence is strong in Cuba, Brazil and other parts of the Americas I'll give you guys that. Ever since 2000, I've always connected Cuba to Yorubaland.. there's always been a connection between them and you guys.

Cool. Why are you attacking yorubas here
Are you Edo?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

Cool. Why are you attacking yorubas here
Are you Edo?

I'm just mad when they undermine the Edo people. I give credit where credit is due and I'm not biased when others are great at something. Yeah my dad is from Ekpoma.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

seriously u edo people are beginning to turn me into a Nairaland tribalist, u guys are trying sha, after u are done hating someone and his tribe and saying hate comments about them u wud see ur friend from that tribe and open ur teeth with him or her and ur conscience wont hunt u ppl... undecided

Go away.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

Go away.
thanks heaven I changed my mind on what I wanted to reply u, if I had done that I wud give u and ur next generation of igbo hating people more reasons to keep hating us.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

Ibadan started out much longer than that but yeah It developed into a city at 1829

Ibadan WAS NOT a city of NOTE in pre-colonial Nigeria. Her influence, if at all, did not go beyond its immediate neighborhood unlike Benin City which was known already around the world before Ibadan founding ever thought of. There is no comparison between Benin and Ibadan,or any city in Southern pre-colonial Nigeria, for that matter.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

thanks heaven I changed my mind on what I wanted to reply u, if I had done that I wud give u and ur next generation of igbo hating people more reasons to keep hating us.

I don't hate Igbo people. I just don't like when others desecrate on my people and my Edo brothers.. you just ignorantly state that Edo is cursed and make it seem that everyone from there is a failure. They're industrious male and female Edo indigenes doing well in various fields, so you're stupid statements irked me. And I don't care what you would have said, I know and you know that you're bitcch made anyways.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
Anyways I'm tired of this bickering. I want to learn a lot about my people. From genetics, relations with the Portuguese and key moments in Edo history. Heck, I also wouldn't mind finding out if the Edo-Yoruba connection is indeed true or not.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

bokohalal:

Ibadan had been in existence around the period Oranmiyan died and when Ajaka ascended the throne.

Ibadan was originally established by an Ife man and Lagelu was his name.

Oyo masquerade was attacked in Ibadan and Sango (who usurped power from his big brother) ordered Ibadan be brough down to rubbles by his army - which they did. As a result, Lagelu and other survivors moved the hill (remember Oke-Ibadan festival).

Ibadan was resuscitated during the period of the gradual collapse of Oyo when people migrated southward.

Another historical account placed Ibadan establishment around Owu's collapse with migrants meeting Lagelu at Eleiyele Hills (Oke Ibadan).

There are a number of other accounts but key fact to Ibadan was founded by Lagelu (an Ife man) who settled or later moved atop the hills during a period far preceding Oyo's collapse.

Let us also keep in mind Ibadan or a certain part of it was also originally occupied by the Owu before Oranmiyan went to found Oyo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

I don't hate Igbo people. I just don't like when others desecrate on my people and my Edo brothers.. you just ignorantly state that Edo is cursed and make it seem that everyone from there is a failure. They're industrious male and female Edo indigenes doing well in various fields, so you're stupid statements irked me. And I don't care what you would have said, I know and you know that you're bitcch made anyways.
lol... bro I was joking dont take my earlier comments seruous... its just one of doz...
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
;
lygn19:

lol... bro I was joking dont take my earlier comments seruous... its just one of doz...

grin You troll. I do the same thing. You beat me at my own game.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 11:26pm On Sep 10, 2015
9jacrip:

Ibadan had been in existence around the period Oranmiyan died and when Ajaka ascended the throne.

Ibadan was originally established by an Ife man and Lagelu was his name.

Oyo masquerade was attacked in Ibadan and Sango (who usurped power from his big brother) ordered Ibadan be brough down to rubbles by his army - which they did. As a result, Lagelu and other survivors moved the hill (remember Oke-Ibadan festival).

Ibadan was resuscitated during the period of the gradual collapse of Oyo when people migrated southward.

Another historical account placed Ibadan establishment around Owu's collapse with migrants meeting Lagelu at Eleiyele Hills (Oke Ibadan).

There are a number of other accounts but key fact to Ibadan was founded by Lagelu (an Ife man) who settled or later moved atop the hills during a period far preceding Oyo's collapse.

Let us also keep in mind Ibadan or a certain part of it was also originally occupied by the Owu before Oranmiyan went to found Oyo.

Do not get it twisted. Ibadan was not known till the later part of the 19th century. It was NOT a City like Benin. Just check any 17th, 18th or 19th century map of West Africa and show me Ibadan. Then check Benin.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
bokohalal:

Do not get it twisted. Ibadan was not known till the later part of the 19th century. It was NOT a City like Benin. Just check any 17th, 18th or 19th century map of West Africa and show me Ibadan. Then check Benin.

I have only talked about the origin of Ibadan not when it became a city.

You can read, right?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 11:50pm On Sep 10, 2015
9jacrip:

I have only talked about the origin of Ibadan not when it became a city.

You can read, right?
I careless when Ibadan came into existence. The argument is whether Ibadan was prominent and vigorously influenced others,like Benin did,before the British incursion into Nigeria.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 12:07am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

Ibadan WAS NOT a city of NOTE in pre-colonial Nigeria. Her influence, if at all, did not go beyond its immediate neighborhood unlike Benin City which was known already around the world before Ibadan founding ever thought of. There is no comparison between Benin and Ibadan,or any city in Southern pre-colonial Nigeria, for that matter.

What nonsense are you saying? Ibadan was capital of the Yoruba area from 1829, Immediately taking control of many yoruba towns outside it's immediate neighborhood

What neighborhood does benin city have? It's a small tiny city compared to Ibadan, and Edo speaking area is also very tiny so what is this neighborhood that Benin city influenced that makes Benin city the only city in pre-colonial Nigeria

Note am talking city and not Kingdom

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 12:10am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

I'm just mad when they undermine the Edo people. I give credit where credit is due and I'm not biased when others are great at something. Yeah my dad is from Ekpoma.

Oh! Esan guycheesy
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 12:20am On Sep 11, 2015
macof:

What nonsense are you saying? Ibadan was capital of the Yoruba area from 1829, Immediately taking control of many yoruba towns outside it's immediate neighborhood

What neighborhood does benin city have? It's a small tiny city compared to Ibadan, and Edo speaking area is also very tiny so what is this neighborhood that Benin city influenced that makes Benin city the only city in pre-colonial Nigeria

It is pointless arguing with you. I thought you knew better.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 12:22am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

I careless when Ibadan came into existence. The argument is whether Ibadan was prominent and vigorously influenced others,like Benin did,before the British incursion into Nigeria.

I don't know what prominence Benin attained.

Did it subjugate other kingdoms outside its actual Ogiso hamlets? No.

Did it go beyond Onitsha into the East, No.

Did it conquer West, No.

Did it go North, No.

Did it take over the South? Through conquest no, through trade, yes.

I often get lost when Benin gets referred as an 'empire'.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 11, 2015
macof:

Thank you Macof.

These Benin people think highly of their overrated Kingdom.

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 12:23am On Sep 11, 2015
9jacrip:

I don't know what prominence Benin attained.
Did it subjugate other kingdoms outside its actual Ogiso hamlets? No.
Did it go beyond Onitsha into the East, No.
Did it conquer West, No.
Did it go North, No.
Did it take over the South? Through conquest no, through trade, yes.
I often get lost when Benin gets referred as an 'empire'.
Eko!
Idah!
Benin Empire is more prominent , and was more powerful , than Yoruba Oyo empire .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

'we Are Sorry, Our Elders Misled Us,' Ndi'gbo Youths Beg President Buhari / 2019: Buhari In Closed-door Meeting With All APC Governors / NERC Urges Users To Update Prepaid Meters Before November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.