Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,944 members, 7,963,000 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

Who Are The Edo People? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Edo People? (29929 Views)

Kindness Okpe, 22-Year-Old SSA To Obaseki, The Edo State Governor (Photos) / Ize-Iyamu's Message To Edo Residents After The Edo Election (pic, Video) / PDP Posts Video Ridiculing Oshiomhole/APC, Edo People React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 10:11am On Sep 16, 2015
cheesy ODE! You are actually helping my night shift to go fast and through out entertained. I'll be leaving in a few hours for my warm bed and a good rest at home.

You are the one struggling and restless to find where your next meal is coming from. As I type this, I'm making money, someone's salary every hour. And since I'm multi tasking, the mistake is bound to happen.

Your friends are just marveled me that all, I'm flattered!

macof:

grin grin am giving you sleepless nights and you're here acting up. .. you even had to post this shit twice just to show the deep rooted frustration and insecurity.

If people are liking and sharing my comment maybe they've seen the sense you can never see in life
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:16am On Sep 16, 2015
wytecat:
cheesy ODE! You are actually helping my night shift to go fast and through out entertained. I'll be leaving in a few hours for my warm bed and a good rest at home.

You are the one struggling and restless to find where your next meal is coming from. As I type this, I'm making money every hour. And since I'm multi tasking, the mistake is bound to happen.

Its only insecurity that would make anyone try to tell a stranger she's been insulting her life's story...what am I supposed to do with all this story story?
I just enjoy how you shame yourself with every post

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 10:24am On Sep 16, 2015
I'm shaming you rather.

I needed to tell you cos you are too DUMB to know that people work at different times. Just don't ask next time, if you don't want answers, since you prefer your deranged mind to actuality. You are probably jobless and live off other people as the BUM you are.

You said you kept me sleepless, and I said that's exactly what I needed to get through my night while making money!

Insecurity? No
Bragging? Yes! And it's allowed.

macof:

Its only insecurity that would make anyone try to tell a stranger she's been insulting her life's story...what am I supposed to do with all this story story?
I just enjoy how you shame yourself with every post
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:42am On Sep 16, 2015
wytecat:
I'm shaming you rather.

I needed to tell you cos you are too DUMB to know that people work at different times. Just don't ask next time, if you don't want answers, since you prefer your deranged mind to actuality. You are probably jobless and live off other people as the BUM you are.

You said you kept me sleepless, and I said that's exactly what I needed to get through my night while making money!

Insecurity? No
Bragging? Yes! And it's allowed.

No, you don't know me and I do not know you. so bragging and calling others names as if you knew them on a faceless forum is a show of the frustration and insecurity you suffer from your inability to answer simple questions based on your earlier claims of Lamurudu being Oduduwa's father

I await your next show, should I help you with a psychologist before that? You need it
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 11:01am On Sep 16, 2015
Get over it, everyone does light bragging though I almost never do it. Or why do you think people by new jets?

There's just no other way to answer you than that, I've not even bragged, people make such comments all the time. If you have something in your life to brag about, go right ahead, only that secret do come out as time goes on.

Be honest, we have been back and forth for days, things gonna come out unless you are guarding something jealously.

Check in to a psychiatric ward to join your family members first, before worrying about me.

macof:

No, you don't know me and I do not know you so bragging on a faceless forum is a show of the frustration and insecurity you suffer from

I await your next show, should I help you with a psychologist before that? You need it
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tonychristopher: 9:47pm On Sep 30, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

First off,there is no Bini people in Onicha and...never been. What you have is Igb o who once resided in the Bini area. As for Anioma, What happened was cultural exchanges,simple. Bini never conquered anybody nor extended their empire. They built a wall around their village for fear of the Anioma Igbo like the Agbor. Infact,they were scared of Ndi Agbor. They built their little kingdom and made sculptures and that was it,it didn't go past that.

I wonder how you get this analysis and they are apt and nice

Come to think of it ..if Benin was a great empire why building moats and walls ...who are they afraid of

Rome never built walls, Greece never built wall even Igbo ukwu NRI kingdom never

This a new dimension
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:15pm On Oct 15, 2015
wytecat:
Those were Bini of Yoruba extraction, not yours, they have nothing to do with you iboid new Benin. They came to Lagos and the locals(ijebu and Awori)hosted and gave them farmland and taught them fishing just like they did to the Egba and Oyo.

The Ondo people have already asked you to tell them when the ruling over them happened, but you avoided the question.

Going for green pastures is not the same as conquering, learn the difference.

Yoruba/Lagosians are still accommodating centuries later.

yet the lagos kings are from bini, ask akiolu
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

Come to think of it ..if Benin was a great empire why building moats and walls ...who are they afraid of

Rome never built walls, Greece never built wall even Igbo ukwu NRI kingdom never

This a new dimension

china had walls even though it was an empire, d vatican had walls while controlling nations. nri was actually a village not a kingdom,
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tonychristopher: 5:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
AND BENIN WAS A HAMLET NOT A KINGDOM....ARE THEY EVEN UPTO AN ACRE

Ubenedictus:
china had walls even though it was an empire, d vatican had walls while controlling nations. nri was actually a village not a kingdom,
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

Do we really have to go through this again? Benin had vassals and territories in parts of Ondo, Lagos and most of Niger Delta. They also controlled the Bight of Benin as well.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Aizenosa(m): 6:16pm On Oct 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

Lol hmm watching in 4k hdmi
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Duru1(m): 6:45pm On Oct 15, 2015
osemwengie1:
SOME WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS BECAUSE THEY HAVE LOST THEIR REAL ORIGIN.
BUT JUST DO YOUR THOROUGH RESEARCH YOU WILL COME TO KNOW THE TRUTH OF THIS HISTORY YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ.

Who are the Edo people?

EDO, is what you can describe as the "generic name given to a group of people who have a common ancestor and have a common language, with some different variants, depending on the distance between the group and the " tap root, " resident in and around the present day Benin City. In short, the land, the political state, the people, tribe, language and the principal city -Benin City is called EDO. At a point in the history of these people, another name called BENIN came into use. These Edo-speaking people are divided into the following clans today:

a) " BINI " derived from the word Benin for people living in and around Benin City, in Edo State. People living in and around Benin City, are gradually accepting the word BINI, as descriptive of their clan. Otherwise, they prefer to be simply called EDO.

b) ESAN/Ishan-for the immediate neighbor to the north are people living in around Irrua, Orhodua, Uromi, Ubiaja, Ewu, Ewatto, Igueben and the almighty Evbohimwin (Ewohimi))" the city by the big river " or " the city of Ikhimwin trees " etc.

c) The Afemais known as IVBIOSAKON by those living in and around Benin City to the north of Ishan/Esan clan.

d) Akoko-Edos based in Igarra, Ibillo and its environs to the north of Afemais.

e) The Owans-ORAS occupying Eme, Sabogida-Ora, Afuze, etc. Uhobe (SOBE) and Ifon in Ondo State.

f) Ekas-to East of Benin. A sizeable chunk of the Edo speaking people flow across River Niger and ending at ONITSHA.

g) Isoko, Urhobo, Itsekiris and about 70% percent of western Izon (Ijaws) in Ndegeni and its environs

h) A sizeable chunk of the Edos is found in River States and Balyesa States e.g. Ogba land and Diobu, Port Harcourt.

i) A sizeable chunk has been " Yorubanised in Ondo, Ekiti, Lagos and Ogun States. The descendants of Edo soldiers stationed in Akure are referred to today as ADO-AKURE (Edo ne ’kue) There are many Edos in Ekiti land, Idoani, Idanre etc going through life in Nigeria with Yoruba names. Acculturation has taken place. You are either a Yoruba man or you go nowhere.

j) The ILAJE community at OKITIPUPA and its environs.

k) The Edos who conquered and settled far way land like Dahomey, Togo and Ghana.

The Edo language is part of the Kwa-Niger group of languages according to Linguist. These people have lived were they are now for " Thousands of years." The monarchy centered in Benin City is about 6000 years old, including pre-ogiso and Ogiso era of history. All the clans had various functions, which they perform at the palace. For example, the Ishans/Esans were principally the medicine men and warriors of the ancient empire. They were the medical practitioners. The chieftancy groups responsible for the Oba's well being are dominated by Ishan/Esan descendants. The Ivbiosakon (Afemais) were the dental surgeon of the palace. That is the origin of the name IVBIOSAKON. Oba Esigie assigned that function to them in the c1500's.

The Owan/Ora people were the propitiators of the physical earth for the Oba of Benin. It was their responsibility to prevent things like earthquake, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes and anything associated with geological disturbance to occur in Benin. In short, they were the geologists and weathermen of their day, forecasting and preventing physical calamities. Those we call BINIS today, were the traditional bureaucratic administrators and military generals. The Izons (Ijaws) were the " OZIGUE" -SAILORS The Ekas were farmers. They were in charge of the royal farms.

The Ibos across the Niger call the Edos, IDU, the name of the progenitor of Edo race, the Yorubas call us ADO, which is a corruption of the word EDO. However, the Itsekiris, another sub group in the Edo clans call us UBINI. Tradition asserts that it is derived from ILE-IBINU, which is descriptive of the exasperation and frustration encountered in Benin City, by Prince Oranmiyan of ILE-IFE. A further research may prove that, it was the Itsekiris who gave that name, to the people living in and around Benin City. The Itsekiris told the white man of the powerful overlord living in Igodomigodo. It was the Itsekiris who told the Whiteman that the name of the tribe of this powerful king was UBINI- a term which Whiteman corruptly wrote down as Benin. For example, the name of the eldest daughter of Oba Osewende, the mother of the OSULAS and the AIWERIOGHENES is today known as AGHAYUBINI. A closer examination of that name would reveal that the name is an Itsekhiri phrase-" The Ubini Lady or woman " i.e. the woman from Benin. Aghayubini was a very wealthy trader among the Itsekiris, from whence she got the money she used, is getting the throne for her brother, who became Oba ADOLO. An Itsekhiri descriptive phrase has simply over powered her original Edo name, to the extent that nobody knows anything about it now.

The ancient Edo/Benin Empire covered the whole of Bendel, parts of Bayelsa State and I repeat Balyesa State. The second son of the Enogie of Brass, popularly known as IYASE NE OHENMWEN became the Iyase of Benin under Oba Osewende. Iyase Ohenmwen is the ancestor of the OTOKITIS, THE OKEAYA-INNEH AND THE AIWERIOGHENES of Benin today. It also covers the IGBO-speaking areas of Delta State stretching to Onitsha. People hardly know that the actual title of the Obi of Onitsha is AIGBOGHIDI. The historical Chief Agho Obaseki of Oba Ovoranmwen era and later the Iyase of Benin under Oba Eweka II, was a descendant of the second son of Enogie of NSUKWA now in Delta State. It extended to the whole of Ondo State, parts of Ekiti and Ogun State and the whole of Lagos State including BADAGRY. It stretched to southern Dahomey (Republic of Benin) and on to the coast of Togo and Ghana.

THE OWANS /ORAS:

Oba Ozolua is traditionally regarded as the ancestor of the Owans/Ora. He was known as Prince Okpame before he became known as Oba Ozolua. He had sought refuge in Uwokha in Ivbiosakon areas in c1473. From Uwokha, Oba Ozolua founded Ora and other villages. Oba Ozolua was a warlord. He beat the people of Uzea near Uromi to a pulp when there was a revolt. He extended his carnage to Uromi when the Enogie was reported to have been rude to his messengers. He went up through Akoko land, wandering into Nupe lands where he acquired a lot of sophisticated weaponry then. He attacked the Igallas and Igbirras in the present Kogi and Kwarra states. After spending the greater part of his life in ORA, he left behind his son UGUAN and returned to Benin City.

But before he left, he proclaimed everybody free men and free women, entitled to enjoy the privileges of Edo princes and Princesses, for all the services they had rendered in his military campaigns. That is why the Oras call themselves today, the CHILDREN OF OZOLUA. Besides being in charge of propitiating the physical earth, they are responsible for ritually exorcising any harm that might come upon the EDO NATION-the land due to violation of sexual or other taboos. Their GUILD, quartered at EVBORHAN quarter in OGBELAKA in Benin City by Oba Esigie, demands steep fines from the culprits for their services.

A few years ago, the Oba of Benin created an Ogie-Duke-traditional rulership for the Oras because of popular demand.

Per the bolded, there is nothing Bini or Idu real or imagine after Eshan. Anything Bini or Idu did not reach Igbanke talk less crossing the boundary.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 6:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
What

Your Eze is getting flogged and you are digging thread from how many months ago

Get over it!

The Bini who were in Lagos were a Yoruba subgroup, and not the mostly Ibos modern day Benin.
Ubenedictus:
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
wytecat:
What

Your Eze is getting flogged and you are digging thread from how many months ago

Get over it!

The Bini who were in Lagos were a Yoruba subgroup, and not the mostly Ibos modern day Benin.

Elaborate more on the Iboid group of Benins. In what way do the modern day people of Edo look like Igbos?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2015
We have already talked at length about that, and this thread is months old. Go through it and see my stand on that when asked. Still that same.

The old bini people were a Yoruba subgroup, totally different from the Benin you have there today. The same people spoke a dialect Yoruba but the Benin you have don't. What can explain that is the original bini were pushed to the place now inhabited by the Olukunmi and Itsekiri by Ibos or whoever they were before Whiteman have you Benin.

As I said, go through the thread, it's been ironed out already.
aim5:

Elaborate more on the Iboid group of Benins. In what way do the modern day people of Edo look like Igbos?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:29pm On Oct 15, 2015
Ubenedictus:

Actually Akiolu is descended from an Ijesa man not Bini
The last Oba of Lagos in the Bini(Ado) dynasty was Akinsemoyin, although this family stil exists they cannot become Oba
The current dynasty is Ologun Kutere son of an Ijesa priest and sister of akinsemoyin

Anyway if you know anything about lagos you will know that the Bini descendants see themselves as Awori yorubas nothing more nothing less
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:32pm On Oct 15, 2015
wytecat:
We have already talked at length about that, and this thread is months old. Go through it and see my stand on that when asked. Still that same.

The old bini people were a Yoruba subgroup, totally different from the Benin you have there today. The same people spoke a dialect Yoruba but the Benin you have don't. What can explain that is the original bini were pushed to the place now inhabited by the Olukunmi and Itsekiri by Ibos or whoever they were before Whiteman have you Benin.

As I said, go through the thread, it's been ironed out already.

Interesting, how did you arrive at this conclusion
Are there any records you know of igbos pushing Bini people away from their land?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by meccuno: 9:33pm On Oct 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

This a new dimension

china built a wall.........probably because of japan grin
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 9:35pm On Oct 15, 2015
What record do you have contrary to what I said?

Go through the thread, I've said everything that needs to said about it. Just go through the thread, and stop being lazy.
macof:

Are there any records you know of igbos pushing Bini people away from their land?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:38pm On Oct 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

This a new dimension

I doubt if any serious empire will leave it's capital city without walls. Not only it's capital city but any land that needed protection

A wall is the first call of Defense
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:42pm On Oct 15, 2015
wytecat:
What record do you have contrary to what I said?

Go through the thread, I've said everything that needs to said about it. Just go through the thread, and stop being lazy.

Smh you said nothing that anybody can take seriously

You make a claim that could revolutionize Bini history and you mean you have no records or anything backing this claim, Than the claim itself?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 10:03pm On Oct 15, 2015
And who takes you seriously if you can't go through the thread that we already flogged to death.

Find something better to do with your time other than going round the same topic over and over again.

I've not changed my stance on the topic, and you are not to make me keep saying the same thing. If you had time to resurrect the thread, take the same time to comb through it.

macof:

Smh you said nothing that anybody can take seriously

You make a claim that could revolutionize Bini history and you mean you have no records or anything backing this claim, Than the claim itself?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tpiander: 10:35pm On Oct 15, 2015
macof:

Actually Akiolu is descended from an Ijesa man not Bini
The last Oba of Lagos in the Bini(Ado) dynasty was Akinsemoyin, although this family stil exists they cannot become Oba
The current dynasty is Ologun Kutere son of an Ijesa priest and sister of akinsemoyin

Anyway if you know anything about lagos you will know that the Bini descendants see themselves as Awori yorubas nothing more nothing less

Akinsemoyin is a Yoruba name though.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2015
tpiander:

Akinsemoyin is a Yoruba name though.

I hear his mother was yoruba tho. But even Ado is a Yoruba name
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tpiander: 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2015
macof:

the old Bini are different from the current Bini, that's true.

the old Bini were more of Yoruba, the coming of the Portuguese probably changed the demographics, since the Portuguese were already in Angola and might have moved upwards from there as well, via the Calabar region.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 10:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
tpiander:

the old Bini were more of Yoruba, the coming of the Portuguese probably changed the demographics, since the Portuguese were already in Angola and might have moved upwards from there as well, via the Calabar region.
Igodomigodo was more of Yoruba?
The other members of the Edoid group destroyed your conjecture.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tpiander: 11:41pm On Oct 15, 2015
How so?

there was contact between angola and benin via the portuguese, i think.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 11:57pm On Oct 15, 2015
wytecat:
And who takes you seriously if you can't go through the thread that we already flogged to death.

Find something better to do with your time other than going round the same topic over and over again.

I've not changed my stance on the topic, and you are not to make me keep saying the same thing. If you had time to resurrect the thread, take the same time to comb through it.

Flogged what? You didn't address the issue. No proof, you didnt even elaborate.
How igbos did it to better organized Bini army, what particular group of igbos drove Binis out and made themselves the current Bini people, what even made you suggest such
Nothing. You said nothing that can hold water on this thread
So sorry, it's not been flogged you would need to flog it. It's a great thing you trying to do here, identify something nobody else has identified but your cclaim isn't good enough we need evidence of igbo conquest of Edo
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 15, 2015
tpiander:
How so?

there was contact between angola and benin via the portuguese, i think.

So you're saying that this contact lead to a slight change of genetics in Benin?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 12:01am On Oct 16, 2015
tpiander:

People will disagree with this, The royal family at Bini are known to be of yoruba heritage but the entire Bini population? That will be a ground breaking discovering
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 12:13am On Oct 16, 2015
aim5:

So you're saying that this contact lead to a slight change of genetics in Benin?
Imagine that. That the Portuguese changed the Yorubas to Edos in Benin Kingdom.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 12:48am On Oct 16, 2015
You must be suffering from attention deficit disorder or crazy.

The Benin of today are NOT the same as the Yoruba subgroup Bini. Every Yoruba subgroup speak a Yoruba dialect, the Benin don't and their own account of history is different from that of Bini. Itsekiri and Olukunmi who are even far away claim to be from Bini, speak Yoruba dialects, and with the conquest that went on around the surrounding area, that could have been the only reason the Benin are where they are today and NOT one of we Yorubas.

They are more likely Ibos or Iboid group from the Seast.

Benin are not Yoruba, but the land was once inhabited by Yoruba, that's why the most important traditions of naming and worshipping of orisha still have to be in Yoruba. Even the palace still uses iyoba.

As you can see, this is the same thing I've been saying all along, and I see no reason to repeat it.

macof:

Flogged what? You didn't address the issue. No proof, you didnt even elaborate.
How igbos did it to better organized Bini army, what particular group of igbos drove Binis out and made themselves the current Bini people, what even made you suggest such
Nothing. You said nothing that can hold water on this thread
So sorry, it's not been flogged you would wry need to flog it. It's a great thing you trying to do here, identify something nobody else has identified but your cclaim isn't good enough we need evidence of igbo conquest of Edo

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen To Be Accommodated As Indigenes In Kogi / I Am Innocent Of All Charges Take Me To Court, Fayose Tells efcc / Unknown Gunmen Assassinate Gbenga Ogbara (APC Chairman) In Osun

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.