Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,943 members, 7,962,999 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

Who Are The Edo People? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Edo People? (29921 Views)

Kindness Okpe, 22-Year-Old SSA To Obaseki, The Edo State Governor (Photos) / Ize-Iyamu's Message To Edo Residents After The Edo Election (pic, Video) / PDP Posts Video Ridiculing Oshiomhole/APC, Edo People React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

Eko!
Idah!

Not again.

Benin influence didn't go past Eko, present day Lagos Island.

Benin met Yoruba folks and Yoruba kings who paid and still pay reverence to Oloto as their head.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 12:31am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

It is pointless arguing with you. I thought you knew better.

Of course I know better. ..better than you it appears
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 12:36am On Sep 11, 2015
9jacrip:

Not again.

Benin influence didn't go past Eko, present day Lagos Island.

Benin met Yoruba folks and Yoruba kings who paid and still pay reverence to Oloto has their head.

I don win. Start crying. You ask for West. I mentioned Eko. Is Eko in the South? Lagos Island can influence the rest of Yoruba land.
Ask Ondo and Ekiti people,too. Ask Ooni. Ask Oba Eko.
Salud!
Next!

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 12:42am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

I don win. Start crying. You ask for West. I mentioned Eko. Is Eko in the South? Lagos Island can influence the rest of Yoruba land.
Salud!
Next!

Lol!

Ondo? Maybe Owo who have been influenced largely by a bit of Benin art and also influencing Benin with Yoruba art yet they hold on fast to their Yoruba identity.

Ekiti? Lol. You Benin lots will claim anything.

Ooni? cheesy The king who validates your throne ascension.

Eko? cheesy

In serious research works, Benin is referred as a 'Kingdom' but only Benin writers refer to it as an empire and I wonder what makes it an empire?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 12:48am On Sep 11, 2015
First of all, there's more than one gender on this forum, so when in doubt, just leave the "sir" part out of it.

That Johnson's account is the real thing, and until you can present us your own about how Oduduwa and some Yoruba came to be, not tid bits but full account, you are just a troll. I kinda know where you are going with this.

Not everyone in the middle east is Muslim, and though the religion of Lamurudu and Oduduwa wasn't clear, I believe they were traditionalists later on. I need to do more findings on this. Muslims didn't make up any story, Nimroid himself was a Christian at one point.

I'm not Olorisha so I wouldn't know if they use the name, but Lamurudu and Oduduwa sojourn were recorded, and it was clear.

Talk only about what you know. Only Ijebu ode is Obanta, the Ijebu NE are not, there are ijebus from Ile Ife and some from the old world/civilization like "Owodaye" of the middle east. You can only speak for yourself, Awujale's palace has hundreds of years worth of information about ijebu's origin.

macof:

No I've actually read Samuel Johnson's book - the was the popular book Declaring Oduduwa's father to be an Arab Monarch named nimrod

But to believe that means you've never thought over it. ..

Sir, no traditional institution talked about Lamurudu - infact that name comes as a surprise to our traditional custodians. .. which Olorisas speak of Lamurudu? I'll be glad for you to prove me wrong

Muslims would have propagated that lame story to justify their conversion to islam by creating a false connection with arabs

Also Ijebus didn't come from sudan or mecca. ..that's what people say in many books but the Ijebu-jesa where Obanta settled for a while and had a son is said to record a movement from Ife and no reference to sudan or mecca

Yoruba in the new world are descended from the people taken to the Americas during the transatlantic trade period

Nd u think Owodaiye is middle-east? Oh my! Who did this to you?
Owodaiye is a famous appellation for Ife. .. Ife owodaye is the first yoruba civilization that was destroyed by flood. Ile-Ife of today is the rebuilt Ife owodaye

What's my business with Moses? Am I to concern myself with Jewish ancestors?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 12:52am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

Eko!
Idah!
Benin Empire is more prominent , and was more powerful , than Yoruba Oyo empire .

What the Binis are most known for (Their art), came from further westwards... from the yoruba.
Idah was never part of Benin Empire, they fought with Idah quite alright ... so what?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 12:55am On Sep 11, 2015
wytecat:
First of all, there's more than one gender on this forum, so when in doubt, just leave the "sir" part out of it.

That Johnson's account is the real thing, and until you can present us your own about how Oduduwa and some Yoruba came to be, not tid bits but full account, you are just a troll. I kinda know where you are going with this

Lamurudu has no place in Yoruba history ... it is nothing but a concocted personality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 1:04am On Sep 11, 2015
lygn19:
u yorubas can keep them.

Keep them ke?
Are they a trophy to be won or something?

Mind yaself ooo

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 1:14am On Sep 11, 2015
wytecat:

That Johnson's account is the real thing, and until you can present us your own about how Oduduwa and some Yoruba came to be, not tid bits but full account, you are just a troll. I kinda know where you are going with this.

Not everyone in the middle east is Muslim, and though the religion of Lamurudu and Oduduwa wasn't clear, I believe they were traditionalists later on. I need to do more findings on this. Muslims didn't make up any story, Nimroid himself was a Christian at one point.

I'm not Olorisha so I wouldn't know if they use the name, but Lamurudu and Oduduwa sojourn were recorded, and it was clear.

Talk only about what you know. Only Ijebu ode is Obanta, the Ijebu NE are not, there are ijebus from Ile Ife and some from the old world/civilization like "Owodaye" of the middle east. You can only speak for yourself, Awujale's palace has hundreds of years worth of information about ijebu's origin.

Well. Awujale cannot be more correct than All other yoruba kings including Orimolusi, who have recorded Ife origin for the Ijebu
Orimolusi is in fact a much historical position than Awujale. Orimolusi was afterall established before the Awujale

As you a brother/sister I'll hate for you to keep with the ignorance. ..some years ago I too would have argued the Lamurudu claim if not the total absence of evidence and more incorrect junk in Samuel Johnson's book. .another one is the origin of Saki which he did nonsense on. .. the sons of Oduduwa, saying he had only one son when all over Yorubaland Oduduwa's sons are nothing less than 16

You couldn't even answer the questions I asked about Lamurudu. .. things that should be easy to answer if he was a Yoruba ancestor and not a fictional character

As I've said religious propaganda has to be moved out. Only traditional institution can tell yoruba history. .

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 1:29am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

Eko!
Idah!
Benin Empire is more prominent , and was more powerful , than Yoruba Oyo empire .

undecided am sure Benin was the most powerful in the world. Benin empire reached Europe
Afterall "Oba owns the land till the land of the white men" popular benin chest beating saying

Really I love Bini folk but this competition you try to build against yoruba cannot go well for you. Oyo empire held from Volta river in Ghana to eastern flanks of Yorubaland

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 1:40am On Sep 11, 2015
bokohalal:

Salud!
Next!

Can you conquer/ or is it Found a land and still be calling someone else land owner?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 1:44am On Sep 11, 2015
9jacrip:

Lol!

Ondo? Maybe Owo who have been influenced largely by a bit of Benin art and also influencing Benin with Yoruba art yet they hold on fast to their Yoruba identity.

Ekiti? Lol. You Benin lots will claim anything.

Ooni? cheesy The king who validates your throne ascension.

Eko? cheesy

In serious research works, Benin is referred as a 'Kingdom' but only Benin writers refer to it as an empire and I wonder what makes it an empire?

They even say They established ondo

But I would agree that Benin was an empire. .not Large but empire is empire
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 1:47am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

Keep them ke?
Are they a trophy to be won or something?

Mind yaself ooo

We get it. Almighty Yoruba reigns. Now I and maybe other people of Edo extraction would like to know about our history for once.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 1:53am On Sep 11, 2015
macof:

They even say They established ondo

But I would agree that Benin was an empire. .not Large but empire is empire

LOL their need to really come off as an empire is the reason they are claiming to establish everything recently.

Here: noun: empire; plural noun: empires

an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly especially an emperor or empress.

a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government:

a group of countries or regions that are controlled by one ruler or one government; especially.

Benin did not conquer, subjugate or control states, peoples, countries, regions outside of places already under Ogiso influence save for Lagos Island and Owo - Trade/Army post and Art exchange?

It is like saying Ile-Ife became an empire when Oduduwa consolidated the 13 hamlets.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 1:55am On Sep 11, 2015
I think you are crazy for asking repeatedly, and like I said I know where you are going with this, I guarantee you, you will be sorry.

Hear it again, even ijebus came from different places at different times. Orimolusi wrote for his people and Awujale wrote for his people, and he's the longest serving Yoruba king, he should know Better.

Lamurudu was Oduduwa's father, and oduduwa was just the father of modern day Yoruba, he wasn't our progenitor. Again I'm not olorisha so I wouldn't know if they have him as part of their worship or not.

I know you are one of those who are lost and now wants to rewrite history to contain you.

I'm not your sister, and you better get off my mention to go and find your missing prince that was eaten by wild animals.

macof:

Well. Awujale cannot be more correct than All other yoruba kings including Orimolusi, who have recorded Ife origin for the Ijebu
Orimolusi is in fact a much historical position than Awujale. Orimolusi was afterall established before the Awujale

As you a brother/sister I'll hate for you to keep with the ignorance. ..some years ago I too would have argued the Lamurudu claim if not the total absence of evidence and more incorrect junk in Samuel Johnson's book. .another one is the origin of Saki which he did nonsense on. .. the sons of Oduduwa, saying he had only one son when all over Yorubaland Oduduwa's sons are nothing less than 16

You couldn't even answer the questions I asked about Lamurudu. .. things that should be easy to answer if he was a Yoruba ancestor and not a fictional character

As I've said religious propaganda has to be moved out. Only traditional institution can tell yoruba history. .
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ilekeh(f): 1:59am On Sep 11, 2015
I feel sorry for these itty-bitty tribes if/when Nigeria breaks.

A country with 500 people ah ahn undecided

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:01am On Sep 11, 2015
9jacrip:

LOL their need to really come off as an empire is the reason they are claiming to establish everything recently.

Here: noun: empire; plural noun: empires

an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly especially an emperor or empress.

a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government:

a group of countries or regions that are controlled by one ruler or one government; especially.

Benin did not conquer, subjugate or control states, peoples, countries, regions outside of places under already Ogiso influence save for Lagos Island and Owo - Trade/Army post and Art exchange?

It is like saying Ile-Ife became an empire when Oduduwa consolidated the 13 hamlets.

Chai...
But na waa for BINI people oo
Which other Major town is Bini speaking apart from Benin sef?

A so called "Empire" that can't even make nearby Ekpoma, Owo, Auchi or Urhomi speak with the same tongue is flexing muscle..LMAO

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:02am On Sep 11, 2015
Ilekeh:
I feel sorry for these itty-bitty tribes if/when Nigeria breaks.

A country with 500 people ah ahn undecided

Why do you care? I'm pretty they're gonna be fine. At least they won't have to deal with annoying overbearing people from "superior" groups.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ilekeh(f): 2:03am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Why do you care? I'm pretty they're gonna be fine. At least they won't have to deal with annoying overbearing people from "superior" groups.
Superior groupS? There's only one; YORUBA.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 2:06am On Sep 11, 2015
I disagree.
Lamurudu was Nimroid.
Give me two reasons why he wasn't.

scholes0:

Lamurudu has no place in Yoruba history ... it is nothing but a concocted personality.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:09am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

Chai...
Which other Major town is Bini speaking apart from Benin sef
?

A so called "Empire" that can't even make nearby Ekpoma, Owo, Auchi or Urhomi speak with the same tongue is flexing muscle..LMAO

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:13am On Sep 11, 2015
wytecat:
I disagree.
Lamurudu was Nimroid.
Give me two reasons why he wasn't.

Please na, stop this abeg...
How can Nimrod great grandson of Noah of the deluge be the father of Oduduwa?

Chisos....
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:14am On Sep 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Superior groupS? There's only one; YORUBA.

Ah get out.. As proud and rude as Igbos can be, I respect them more than you Yorubas. They are more superior than you.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:15am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Ah get out.. As proud and rude as Igbos can be, I respect them more than you Yorubas. They are more superior than you.

You mean Igbo the Weed ganja? grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:16am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

Chai...
Which other Major town is Bini speaking apart from Benin sef?

I'm not Benin but I'll just say this for the last time. Benin chiefs and dukes viewed Bini as a royal language and didn't really care to force their tongue on the places they took over. You think they're like you people who have to force your damn culture on others?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:18am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

I'm not Benin but I'll just say this for the last time. Benin chiefs and dukes viewed Bini as a royal language and didn't really care to force their tongue on the places they took over. You think they're like you people who have to force your damn culture on others?

We don't force our culture on others ooo angry
They embrace it themselves whole heartedly, after discovering its superior nature... Lmao

These days, Pidgin is the new "royal language" in Benin... continuu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 2:20am On Sep 11, 2015
Stop what? You need to stop!

Give me your own version, if you know what you are talking about.

Omo ti Noah bi = Omoluabi = Born from Noah.
Yes we are from Noah and Nimroid.

scholes0:

Please na, stop this abeg...
How can Nimrod great grandson of Noah of the deluge be the father of Oduduwa?

Chisos....
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:23am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

We don't force our culture on others ooo angry
They embrace it themselves whole heartedly, after discovering its superior nature... Lmao

These days, Pidgin is the new "royal language" in Benin... continuu

Okay.. superior hahahah okay then.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:25am On Sep 11, 2015
wytecat:
Stop what? You need to stop!

Give me your own version, if you know what you are talking about.

Omo ti Noah bi = Omoluabi = Born from Noah.
Yes we are from Noah and Nimroid.

shocked shocked
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:26am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Okay.. superior hahahah okay then.

You are so insignificant, you have allowed Yorubas and Igbos to run down a thread that is supposed to be about your people..... You can't even amass enough numbers for defense.
You better acknowledge your Yoruba roots, and join with your big brother to the west.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 2:32am On Sep 11, 2015
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

You are so insignificant, you have allowed Yorubas and Igbos to run down a thread that is supposed to be about your people..... You can't even amass enough numbers for defense.
You better acknowledge your Yoruba roots, and join with your big brother to the west.

Go Bleep somewhere I got more balls than you. Insignificant? Ha you dirty Yoruba scum you base your whole worthless life on your ethnicity hah. And who cares if I can't amass numbers, I'm a one man army. I don't need others for defense like you Yorubas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen To Be Accommodated As Indigenes In Kogi / I Am Innocent Of All Charges Take Me To Court, Fayose Tells efcc / Unknown Gunmen Assassinate Gbenga Ogbara (APC Chairman) In Osun

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.