Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,944 members, 7,963,001 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

Who Are The Edo People? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Edo People? (29929 Views)

Kindness Okpe, 22-Year-Old SSA To Obaseki, The Edo State Governor (Photos) / Ize-Iyamu's Message To Edo Residents After The Edo Election (pic, Video) / PDP Posts Video Ridiculing Oshiomhole/APC, Edo People React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:44am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Go Bleep somewhere I got more balls than you. Insignificant? Ha you dirty Yoruba scum you base your whole worthless life on your ethnicity hah. And who cares if I can't amass numbers, I'm a one man army. I don't need others for defense like you Yorubas.

lol this is how insignificant chest-beating sounds like ....
loooooool

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:50am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

lol this is how insignificant chest-beating sounds like ....
loooooool

Whatever makes you feel better.. I know I come from a small place, but I still wouldn't change my heritage for anything. The culture, the language, the beautiful array of women, etc. I'm comfortable with what I am. Now you and all your Oduduwa people can just jump off a cliff for all I care..
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:52am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Whatever makes you feel better.. I know I come from a small place, but I still wouldn't change my heritage for anything. The culture, the language, the beautiful array of women, etc. I'm comfortable with what I am. Now you and all your Oduduwa people can just jump off a cliff for all I care..

Ehhhya...
take solace in the more irrelevant things, to give yourself some semblance of something real ...

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:55am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

Ehhhya...
take solace in the more irrelevant things, to give yourself some semblance of something real ...

Nah I'll pass.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by scholes0(m): 2:57am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Nah I'll pass.

you already have.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 3:05am On Sep 11, 2015
Those were Bini of Yoruba extraction, not yours, they have nothing to do with you iboid new Benin. They came to Lagos and the locals(ijebu and Awori)hosted and gave them farmland and taught them fishing just like they did to the Egba and Oyo.

The Ondo people have already asked you to tell them when the ruling over them happened, but you avoided the question.

Going for green pastures is not the same as conquering, learn the difference.

Yoruba/Lagosians are still accommodating centuries later.

bokohalal:

I don win. Start crying. You ask for West. I mentioned Eko. Is Eko in the South? Lagos Island can influence the rest of Yoruba land.
Ask Ondo and Ekiti people,too. Ask Ooni. Ask Oba Eko.
Salud!
Next!
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ilekeh(f): 3:53am On Sep 11, 2015
aim5:

Ah get out.. As proud and rude as Igbos can be, I respect them more than you Yorubas. They are more superior than you.

I expected you to say that, just as I expected the vise versa if I was Igbo.

Anyway, a nation of 500 people. Must be nice.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 3:56am On Sep 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

I expected you to say that, just as I expected the vise versa if I was Igbo.

Anyway, a nation of 500 people. Must be nice.

Very nice. But hey, it is what it is. I wouldn't have it any other way though..
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Lionhearted: 6:13am On Sep 11, 2015
Is 'Edo people' and 'Benin People' referring to one and the same entity?

If you noticed, time periods are usually absent in Edo accounts of history which in itself reveals a lot.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by kixo(m): 6:42am On Sep 11, 2015
Proudly from owan! Sabongidda-ora! grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by sugni: 9:05am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

Chai...
But na waa for BINI people oo
Which other Major town is Bini speaking apart from Benin sef?

A so called "Empire" that can't even make nearby Ekpoma, Owo, Auchi or Urhomi speak with the same tongue is flexing muscle..LMAO
WRONG! It's not that BINI couldn't, they just decided this other towns don't deserve to learn it..till today a typical benin person (born n bred in benin) believes he is higher than people from these other towns... the language is complex n considered sacred then because it was easy for bini people to understand these other towns without learning through their own BINI Language Unlike other towns, Uromi for instance has quite alot of tongues n some of them don't understand each other, but Bini is one for all n that one covers most of the major cities n towns in Edo state
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 11, 2015
sugni:
WRONG! It's not that BINI couldn't, they just decided this other towns don't deserve to learn it..till today a typical benin person (born n bred in benin) believes he is higher than people from these other towns... the language is complex n considered sacred then because it was easy for bini people to understand these other towns without learning through their own BINI Language Unlike other towns, Uromi for instance has quite alot of tongues n some of them don't understand each other, but Bini is one for all n that one covers most of the major cities n towns in Edo state
Please kindly vote for me here https://mobile.twitter.com/runzlord/status/639602054546255872?p=v
The link to the voting page is in that status, cos I can't post the link directly on Nairaland.

It a a palm selfie contest by samsung.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 1:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
9jacrip:

LOL their need to really come off as an empire is the reason they are claiming to establish everything recently.

Here: noun: empire; plural noun: empires

an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly especially an emperor or empress.

a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government:

a group of countries or regions that are controlled by one ruler or one government; especially.

Benin did not conquer, subjugate or control states, peoples, countries, regions outside of places under already Ogiso influence save for Lagos Island and Owo - Trade/Army post and Art exchange?

It is like saying Ile-Ife became an empire when Oduduwa consolidated the 13 hamlets.

Oh no the Ogiso dynasty didn't build the Empire the Obas did

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2015
wytecat:
I disagree.
Lamurudu was Nimroid.
Give me two reasons why he wasn't.

1. Oduduwa lived 12th/13th century
2. Nimrod was not arab but Summerian from Mesopotamia around 4000 Bc

You have to be really gullible to take Samuel Johnson seriously
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2015
macof:

Oh no the Ogiso dynasty didn't build the Empire the Obas did

You are missing my point.

Before Obaship, there were hamlets ruled by the Ogiso system which the Obaship system later consolidated into a unit.

Outside this hamlet, the Benin Obaship system did not extend its system over other peoples, states, nations, regions which is a requisite for an empire.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
wytecat:
I think you are crazy for asking repeatedly, and like I said I know where you are going with this, I guarantee you, you will be sorry.

Hear it again, even ijebus came from different places at different times. Orimolusi wrote for his people and Awujale wrote for his people, and he's the longest serving Yoruba king, he should know Better.

Lamurudu was Oduduwa's father, and oduduwa was just the father of modern day Yoruba, he wasn't our progenitor. Again I'm not olorisha so I wouldn't know if they have him as part of their worship or not.

I know you are one of those who are lost and now wants to rewrite history to contain you.

I'm not your sister, and you better get off my mention to go and find your missing prince that was eaten by wild animals.

And you are crazy for not answering my questions

What nonsense? Orimolusi came from Ijebu ode before Obanta got to the city. . and Orimolusi has discarded the nonsense Sudan origin of the Ijebus

I am not Edo you fool, I am yoruba. Am not against this ridiculous Lamurudu claim in favor of Ekaladerhan. Am Against Both

Please answer my questions and prove that Lamurudu is Oduduwa's father
1. Where was Lamurudu buried
2. What's his oriki
3. How come Oduduwa didn't look to arabs for authority
4. What Orisa school in Yorubaland speaks of Lamurudu. . Surely if the story is authentic It should have been recorded by the Olorisas in Ife and other places
5 . any arab records of Lamurudu and Oduduwa?

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

Please na, stop this abeg...
How can Nimrod great grandson of Noah of the deluge be the father of Oduduwa?

Chisos....

About 5000 years between them if we follow bible chronology grin
Some people will believe anything
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by basilo101: 5:12pm On Sep 11, 2015
macof:

Ibadan started out much longer than that but yeah It developed into a city at 1829

However you said pre-colonial ..1829 is precolonial
1829? Its nt evn dat older dan Onitsha! Why d brown roofs?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
basilo101:

1829? Its nt evn dat older dan Onitsha! Why d brown roofs?

It became a large city of repute in 1829 but it came into existence many centuries before then
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by SUBWAY101(m): 6:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

We don't force our culture on others ooo angry
They embrace it themselves whole heartedly, after discovering its superior nature... Lmao

These days, Pidgin is the new "royal language" in Benin... continuu

Lmao. This is damn funny cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 1:57am On Sep 12, 2015
vicadex07:

Comparing the benin to the Yoruba is like comparing an ant to a giant.

According to Yoruba history, benin people are off shoots of the Yoruba race, hence the similarities in some aspects of tradition and nomenclature.

Yoruba people has existed thousands of years before the formation of the more recent benin empire you're yapping about. Our population across the world attest to that. We number in 100s of millions or even billions while your people cannot boast of at least 5% of that. So which fake empire are you talking about. There are many countries all over the world where you can find bits and strands of Yoruba culture and tradition. Even cities in south american countries like Jamaica and brazil are named after the Yoruba people. Where around the world has the benin people ever established prominence...tell me.

In nigeria politics of today, of what impact is the edo nation or better put the infamous edo empire. You all should quit yapping nonsense whenever you wanna quote history again and never compare yourself to Yoruba people...eewo. We are you big brothers.

Dunce.

EKO!

Republique du BENIN

Universite du BENIN , Lome, Togo

Bight of BENIN

And the almighty one,GUINEA!

Can Yoruba , with all her population,match the above?

Yes,GUINEA is an Edo word. It is the Portuguese corruption of the word OGHENE. The Portuguese , on their voyages to Benin, came to the OGHENE COAST. The whole of West Africa later became OGANE, then GUINEA. Check for the GULF OF GUINEA and see its location.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 12, 2015
bokohalal:

Dunce.

EKO!

Republique du BENIN

Universite du BENIN , Lome, Togo

Bight of BENIN

And the almighty one,GUINEA!

Can Yoruba , with all her population,match the above?

Yes,GUINEA is an Edo word. It is the Portuguese corruption of the word OGHENE. The Portuguese , on their voyages to Benin, came to the OGHENE COAST. The whole of West Africa later became OGANE, then GUINEA. Check for the GULF OF GUINEA and see its location.

The Portuguese and the Edos have a very deep link. I've found out a lot about it in the past year... Even the word Ekuye is derived from Portuguese if I'm not mistaken.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 2:03am On Sep 12, 2015
Ilekeh:
I feel sorry for these itty-bitty tribes if/when Nigeria breaks.

A country with 500 people ah ahn undecided

Iyeke, I like you but DO NOT insult my heritage. For your information, Edoland is bigger than Jamaica or Gambia. I guess you feel sorry for those countries.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 2:10am On Sep 12, 2015
macof:

undecided am sure Benin was the most powerful in the world. Benin empire reached Europe
Afterall "Oba owns the land till the land of the white men" popular benin chest beating saying

Really I love Bini folk but this competition you try to build against yoruba cannot go well for you. Oyo empire held from Volta river in Ghana to eastern flanks of Yorubaland
I couldn't find an Oyo Empire map from the 15th to the 18th century drawn by a European of that period. Kindly provide one from your archives.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 2:15am On Sep 12, 2015
aim5:

The Portuguese and the Edos have a very deep link. I've found out a lot about it in the past year... Even the word Ekuye is derived from Portuguese if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct. Portuguese CULHER.
It is amusing to some of us,when some revisionists, due to slavery and subservience to the British Empire, attribute many firsts to themselves.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 2:25am On Sep 12, 2015
bokohalal:

You are correct. Portuguese CULHER.
It is amusing to some of us,when some revisionists, due to slavery and subservience to the British Empire, attribute many firsts to themselves.

I think most of the revisionists are being willfully. I mean, there is hard concrete and logical evidence that proves the prominence of Benin Kingdom, but these Yoruba boys just can't grasp the fact that Benin Kingdom is just as great, if not greater in some aspects. Also, while we are on Portuguese, some of our pidgin comes from Portuguese words and Sabo, Esan for to know comes from saber meaning to know. Also sabi means the same thing.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 5:23am On Sep 12, 2015
I knew exactly how you want this, iddiot! Go and ask your mother these silly questions at home, Ode!

I've already told you NINNY that if you can show me where Moses was buried, I will take you to where Lamurudu is too.

Mumu oshi, asking the question he should have asked those who gave birth to you an overgrown foool. Hope your mother is still alive, cos you need to go back in her womb to take your brain you forgot there.

Hear yourself again, ARINDIN AGBALAGBA, if Orimolusi got to ijebu ode before Obanta, does that not mean they came at different times? Btw, you can only tell your own history, and where you came from, you can't tell other's cos you don't know, and will only make you a liar.

Oduduwa didn't have to look anywhere for authority, he was more than capable, and he re-unite all Yoruba.

I couldn't care less where a man-biatchh like you is from, anyone can claim to be from anywhere on nairaland, just get a life.

Jobless low life, I don't know more than two lines of my own oriki, it's Lamurudu that is next?

Orisa schools shocked you have lost your mind.

Why do Arabs need to have a record of him? That doesn't mean they don't, and not everyone in the middle east was an Arab.

You are so dumb to be asking questions I've answered twice already, ohh your problem is more of how to remove the Cataract in your eyes.

Why not humor me by telling me what you know about the history of Oduduwa.

macof:

And you are crazy for not answering my questions

What nonsense? Orimolusi came from Ijebu ode before Obanta got to the city. . and Orimolusi has discarded the nonsense Sudan origin of the Ijebus

I am not Edo you fool, I am yoruba. Am not against this ridiculous Lamurudu claim in favor of Ekaladerhan. Am Against Both

Please answer my questions and prove that Lamurudu is Oduduwa's father
1. Where was Lamurudu buried
2. What's his oriki
3. How come Oduduwa didn't look to arabs for authority
4. What Orisa school in Yorubaland speaks of Lamurudu. . Surely if the story is authentic It should have been recorded by the Olorisas in Ife and other places
5 . any arab records of Lamurudu and Oduduwa?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 5:37am On Sep 12, 2015
Foool, let's see what you got.
Can't you tell the full history of Oduduwa if you know it?

And who said Nimroid was an Arab? You are under some terrible influence, and going nuts.

Just counter Samuel Johnson and stop crying like EGBERE!

macof:

1. Oduduwa lived 12th/13th century
2. Nimrod was not arab but Summerian from Mesopotamia around 4000 Bc

You have to be really gullible to take Samuel Johnson seriously
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:50am On Sep 12, 2015
bokohalal:

I couldn't find an Oyo Empire map from the 15th to the 18th century drawn by a European of that period. Kindly provide one from your archives.

West Africa 1625

There's no Map you see that doesn't portray Oyo as a much larger empire than Benin

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:51am On Sep 12, 2015
wytecat:
I knew exactly how you want this, iddiot! Go and ask your mother these silly questions at home, Ode!

I've already told you NINNY that if you can show me where Moses was buried, I will take you to where Lamurudu is too.

Mumu oshi, asking the question he should have asked those who gave birth to you an overgrown foool. Hope your mother is still alive, cos you need to go back in her womb to take your brain you forgot there.

Hear yourself again, ARINDIN AGBALAGBA, if Orimolusi got to ijebu ode before Obanta, does that not mean they came at different times? Btw, you can only tell your own history, and where you came from, you can't tell other's cos you don't know, and will only make you a liar.

Oduduwa didn't have to look anywhere for authority, he was more than capable, and he re-unite all Yoruba.

I couldn't care less where a man-biatchh like you is from, anyone can claim to be from anywhere on nairaland, just get a life.

Jobless low life, I don't know more than two lines of my own oriki, it's Lamurudu that is next?

Orisa schools shocked you have lost your mind.

Why do Arabs need to have a record of him? That doesn't mean they don't, and not everyone in the middle east was an Arab.

You are so dumb to be asking questions I've answered twice already, ohh your problem is more of how to remove the Cataract in your eyes.

Why not humor me by telling me what you know about the history of Oduduwa.

Keep showing ur madness. A pity you cannot support ur claims with any evidence
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 9:56am On Sep 12, 2015
wytecat:
Foool, let's see what you got.
Can't you tell the full history of Oduduwa if you know it?

And who said Nimroid was an Arab? You are under some terrible influence, and going nuts.

Just counter Samuel Johnson and stop crying like EGBERE!

grin grin I've already told you Oduduwa was an Ife man probably from Omologun hamlet where his tomb is. What again are you interested in?

Your master Samuel Johnson said Nimrod aka Lamurudu was Arab from mecca(such pathetic nonsense). . Nd on this thread you've supported that

I didn't know you have the ability to sense crying over the Internet. ..are you a witch?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 10:15am On Sep 12, 2015
macof:

West Africa 1625

There's no Map you see that doesn't portray Oyo as a much larger empire than Benin
Now, I know that you are full of mischief. Very COLOURFUL!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen To Be Accommodated As Indigenes In Kogi / I Am Innocent Of All Charges Take Me To Court, Fayose Tells efcc / Unknown Gunmen Assassinate Gbenga Ogbara (APC Chairman) In Osun

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.