Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,758 members, 7,924,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 01:26 PM

Manchester United Fan Thread - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread (67399 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2009
Sorry son, Rooney was never the Prince of Everton. He had the potential.
You make the mistake of comparing a Proven Torres in his Athletico days and a yet to be proven Rooney in his Everton and now Manure days.

But anyhow you choose to look at it, Rooney is proven yet!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Emperoh(m): 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2009
sauron
Do you mean Drogba came to Chelsea before Rooney came to Man U?
I though rooney came in 2004 and Drogba 2005?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 24, 2009
tkb417:

we have heard you

is Drogba/Torres proven to be a better goal scorer than Rooney ?
NO

show stats and lets see
if you dont, ill do it
Injury has plagued Torres ever since he arrived at Anfield. There is no way u'd expect him to score goals if and when injured.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by tkb417(m): 2:57pm On Aug 24, 2009
OMO IBO:

Sorry son, Rooney was never the Prince of Everton. He had the potential.
You make the mistake of comparing a Proven Torres in his Athletico days and a yet to be proven Rooney in his Everton and now Manure days.

But anyhow you choose to look at it, Rooney is proven yet!
hmmm
so how do we test this ur "proven" theory with no facts

FACTS show that those strikers especially Torres hasnt done more than Rooney in terms of goal scoring
so what are u saying

OMO IBO:

Injury has plagued Torres ever since he arrived at Anfield. There is no way u'd expect him to score goals if and when injured.

hmm, so the metatarsal thing that worries Rooney isnt injury grin
what about his days at Atletico?
how come he never scored more than 17/19 a season? (not sure)

OMO IBO , leave footie analysis for romance grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Krayola2(m): 3:02pm On Aug 24, 2009
Why compare  striker at Atletico to one at Manchester United? . . Atletico just got back from relegation the year Torres joined them.  Scoring 20 goals in such a team is asking too much of a teenager. He did very well in that team helping them into UEFA cup places.

I'm not weighing in on whether he is better than Rooney, Drogba or whatever. . .just saying that it doesn't make much sense to ridicule Torres for not bangin in 20 goals. It's an unrealistic expextation when u consider the stature/ quality of the team and the age of the player. In Rooney's best season at Everton he scored 9 goals in 26 starts. His best season at United he scored 14 league goals in 33 starts. Torres had 19 goals in 35 starts in his best season at Atletico and 24 goals in 29 league starts at Liverpool

Do the math.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=21046&cc=5901
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=24257&cc=5901
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by HNIC(m): 3:03pm On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

Holland will flourish without RVP. . . . .England will grind to a halt without Rooney.
You never cease to amaze me
What does the above say about the English team?
You could easily have said
Holand would flourish without RVP. . . . .Nigeria would grind to a halt without Kanu/Martins
****Hiss****
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
Emperoh:

sauron
Do you mean Drogba came to Chelsea before Rooney came to Man U?
I though rooney came in 2004 and Drogba 2005?

Drogba joined Chelsea in July 2004. . . . .Rooney joined on the last day of the transfer window and didn't even play until Mid-September for Man Utd as he was recovering from his metatarsal curse suffered in the Euro 2004 tournament. Drogba has copped games under his belt for Chelsea before Rooney ever joined Man Utd.

How any idiot can tell me Rooney isn't proven yet beats me.
At 18, he was starring in Euro 2004 and outperformed tested heads like Henry, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Makaay, Larsson and Ruud.
He has won what the likes of Torres and Drogba might never win in their career.

HNIC:

You never cease to amaze me
What does the above say about the English team?
You could easily have said
Holand would flourish without RVP. . . . .Nigeria would grind to a halt without Kanu/Martins
****Hiss****

Until u come to grips that RVP is a waste of space, u will be hopelessly deluded.
In Holland, they have Ruud, Robben, Kuyt and Huntelaar. . . . .In a natural order, all these players are better than RVP.
So why would Holland cry over a striker who is yet to score 15 league goals in his entire career?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by HNIC(m): 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

At 18, he was starring in Euro 2004 and outperformed tested heads like Henry, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic, Makaay, Larsson and Ruud.
He has won what the likes of Torres and Drogba might never win in their career.
and what did Shrek win after outperforming the best of them all.
NOTHING!
and he may never win anything in international football till his playing days are over!
Even Stelios has a European cup medal! grin grin tongue
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2009
HNIC:

and what did Shrek win after outperforming the best of them all.
NOTHING!

He copped a place in the team of the tournament despite getting crocked in the Q/finals.
It says a lot about a player at 18.

and he may never win anything in international football till his playing days are over!
Even Stelios has a European cup medal! grin grin tongue

So what has RVP won for club or country? grin grin grin grin
Rooney has won the biggest prize in club football at the age of 23. . . . .He has been instrumental to United's EPL victories.
What has RVP done single-handedly for Arsenal apart from Emirates cup and the Amsterdam tournament(which Rooney has won too).
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
Krayola2:

Why compare  striker at Atletico to one at Manchester United? . . Atletico just got back from relegation the year Torres joined them.  Scoring 20 goals in such a team is asking too much of a teenager. He did very well in that team helping them into UEFA cup places.

I'm not weighing in on whether he is better than Rooney, Drogba or whatever. . .just saying that it doesn't make much sense to ridicule Torres for not bangin in 20 goals. It's an unrealistic expextation when u consider the stature/ quality of the team and the age of the player. In Rooney's best season at Everton he scored 9 goals in 26 starts. His best season at United he scored 14 league goals in 33 starts. Torres had 19 goals in 35 starts in his best season at Atletico and 24 goals in 29 league starts at Liverpool

Do the math.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=21046&cc=5901
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=24257&cc=5901

Thank you for posting this link.
Lets hear the codswallop these guys are going to come up with this time.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
Rooney. . .242 app, 101 goals for MU

Drog. . . 220 app, 97 goals for CFC

Do the math
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by HNIC(m): 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

He copped a place in the team of the tournament despite getting crocked in the Q/finals.
It says a lot about a player at 18.

So what has RVP won for club or country? grin grin grin grin
Rooney has won the biggest prize in club football at the age of 23. . . . .He has been instrumental to United's EPL victories.
What has RVP done single-handedly for Arsenal apart from Emirates cup and the Amsterdam tournament(which Rooney has won too).
What has rooney done single-handedly for Manure?
Nothing!
For the records,RVP has an FA cup medal!
Both have won NOTHING for their country
Just my opinion though, RVP stands a better chance at the int'l level!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Krayola2(m): 3:22pm On Aug 24, 2009
OMO IBO:

Thank you for posting this link.
Lets hear the codswallop these guys are going to come up with this time.

hahah.  Rooney is one of favorite players and I think he's the best all round player at Man Utd.

But the problem with these mancs on NL is that they want the best of everything to come from UTD. So they'll make even a ridiculous argument based on very lil facts and lots of sentiment, just to defend a man utd player. . and they assume anyone that disagrees is just hatin on them.

Think about it, the moment Cronaldo leaves United, Nani becomes the best thing since sliced bread. . . and they'll put u to the sword if u dear mention Tevez and Nani in the same sentence. .  
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:23pm On Aug 24, 2009
Krayola2:

Rooney blazed an international tournament as a teenager.
Ronaldo and Messi also achieved that with style n grace. . . .Stop talking via your ass.
Age has nothing to do with this. . . . .A precocious talent is a precocious talent. . . . .Torres ain't one until he turned 24.

I'm not weighing in on whether he is better than Rooney, Drogba or whatever. . .just saying that it doesn't make much sense to ridicule Torres for not bangin in 20 goals. It's an unrealistic expextation when u consider the stature/ quality of the team and the age of the player. In Rooney's best
season at Everton he scored 9 goals in 26 starts.

Rooney was 18 at Everton FFS. . . . . .Torres was in his 20s when he scored in 19 goals for Athletico Madrid.
Your analysis is bullshit.

His best season at United he scored 14 league goals in 33 starts. Torres had 19 goals in 35 starts in his best season at Atletico and 24 goals in 29 league starts at Liverpool

If we factor that fact that Rooney has been shifted everywhere on the pitch to neutralise opponents, i will make bold to say he has contributed more than Torres. . . . . .Can we have the assists + goals scored for both players in the last 3 seasons?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Emperoh(m): 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2009
BlueDiva:

Rooney. . .242 app, 101 goals for MU

Drog. . . 220 app, 97 goals for CFC

Do the math

Give us the average age of these players and tell me why Drogba should't have a had a marginally better goal ratio than Rooney.
At his age what did Drogba achieve? he was still in the French Second division!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:30pm On Aug 24, 2009
Emperoh:

Give us the average age of these players and tell me why Drogba should't have a had a marginally better goal ratio than Rooney.

That statistic will not tell you when Rooney has been played on the left wing/right wing to neutralise Maicon and Alhy Cissokho.
People like Krayola, Bluediva and HNIC watch football with their noses.

HNIC:

What has rooney done single-handedly for Manure?
Nothing!
For the records,RVP has an FA cup medal!

FA cup medal? In comparison to Rooney's multiple league titles, Carling cups and the Champions League?
U must be ashamed of yourself. . . . . .Without Rooney, United wouldn't have won the UCL in 2007/8.
His determination to play on the wing is what made Ronaldo a superstar today.

Both have won NOTHING for their country
Just my opinion though, RVP stands a better chance at the int'l level!

George Weah won nowt for his country but he is the best African player yet.
Van Persie is a liability for club and country.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 24, 2009

Rooney ought to be more prolific.
Considering Drog should be close to 40yrs (real age, not the footie age)

I expect a 22yr old to outshine a man in his late 30's.

Anyway, not taking anything from Rooney, the boy is world class.
I expect him to carry MU to the 2nd or 3rd spot this season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by mukina2: 3:33pm On Aug 24, 2009
Rooney i know the only thing he is very good at is coping cards. yellow , red, green and whatever colour available .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 24, 2009
That statistic will not tell you when Rooney has been played on the left wing/right wing to neutralise Maicon and Alhy Cissokho.
People like Krayola, Bluediva and HNIC watch football with their noses.

Who cares?
Using stats is your specialty.

The stats show Drog has been better for CFC than Rooney for MU in terms of goals.
That was the point Omo Ibo was trying to prove, i think.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
You see, the problem with stats is that it can be manipulated to suit an arguement.

I can see how bitter these mankers are.

Like Mr Crackles would say. . . . .BUNCH OF HYPOCRITICAL OBERTANS
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Emperoh(m): 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
mukina2:

Rooney i know the only thing he is very good at is coping cards. yellow , red, green and whatever colour available .

Never mind cards. . . .he will cop goals against Arsenal next week. We go bet?
If you win, one week free supply of Hemp! tongue grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by MrCrackles(m): 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2009
OMO IBO:

You see, the problem with stats is that it can be manipulated to suit an arguement.
I can see how bitter these mankers are.
Like Mr Crackles would say. . . . .BUNCHA HYPOCRITICAL AND USELESS OBERTANS
Ya digg. . .  grin cheesy
They reign supreme around here and at OT!
Scumtwats
cool
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2009
BlueDiva:

Who cares?

Yes it is. . . . .

The stats show Drog has been better for CFC than Rooney for MU in terms of goals.

Rooney is the better player by a country mile.
Lets check their productivity for their respective clubs.
Productivity = goals + assists. . . . . .How many times have they been involved in either setting up goals or scoring goals.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Emperoh(m): 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2009
BlueDiva:

Who cares?

If we don't use statistics, how else do we prove certain things?
Especially issues like this?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 24, 2009
If you claim Rooney plays on the wings how about Drogba's defensive capability.
has that hindered his goal scoring prowess?

BlueDiva, Thank you.
I felt like i was speaking in other tongues.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Krayola2(m): 3:41pm On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

Rooney blazed an international tournament as a teenager.
Ronaldo and Messi also achieved that with style n grace. . . .Stop talking via your ass.
Age has nothing to do with this. . . . .A precocious talent is a precocious talent. . . . .Torres ain't one until he turned 24.

Rooney was 18 at Everton FFS. . . . . .Torres was in his 20s when he scored in 19 goals for Athletico Madrid.
Your analysis is bullshit.

If we factor that fact that Rooney has been shifted everywhere on the pitch to neutralise opponents, i will make bold to say he has contributed more than Torres. . . . . .Can we have the assists + goals scored for both players in the last 3 seasons?

There is no way u can use stats of any sort to defend this nonsense. All u can do is go on rants. Torres has ALWAYS been a better striker than Rooney. any age, any team, any year. Rooney is a great player and he contributes a lot that u can't put numbers on and all round he's better than Torres. Rooney was in your box defending at the Nou camp ffs. That is just legendary stuff. . .and he was still flying down the flanks chasing hopeless balls. U can't put numbers on stuff like that. Football isn't all about stats. U (and SAF) know Berbatov is a good player because u've seen what he can do with the ball at his feet. . .not because he has been putting up big numbers his whole career. same with Rooney and players like Park. . .those guys are just good players. .  whether or not they put up numbers.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Emperoh(m): 3:43pm On Aug 24, 2009
OMO IBO:

I don't think drogba is more defensive minded than Rooney.
Check out how deep he drops and the periods he played on the wings and helped the wing backs.
Just just stays in front waiting for long thrusts to latch on!!

Defensively Rooney is better!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 24, 2009
Rooney is the better player by a country mile.
Lets check their productivity for their respective clubs.
Productivity = goals + assists. . . . . .How many times have they been involved in either setting up goals or scoring goals.

Sauron the advocate.
Leave matter, you will never agree with anybody but yourself.

It's no longer the goals, it's now assists.
Anyway, when comparing strikers, we usually use goals scored.
Likewise if we're comparing goalkeepers, we use clean sheets.

End of discussion. Let's all move on.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2009
Emperoh:

I don't think drogba is more defensive minded than Rooney.
Check out how deep he drops and the periods he played on the wings and helped the wing backs.
Just just stays in front waiting for long thrusts to latch on!!

Defensively Rooney is better!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahha
dude, are you serious?
when i talk of a striker being good at defending i'm not referring to rugby style tackle which happens to be Rooney's specialty.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2009
OMO IBO:

Drogba's defensive capabilities compared to Wayne Rooney?
The award of the most stupid comment for today should go to you unopposed.
Try and make sense on this thread. . . . .We don't tolerate heresy.

Krayola2:

There is no way u can use stats of any sort to defend this nonsense. All u can do is go on rants. Torres has ALWAYS been a better striker than Rooney. any age, any team, any year.

Who is the better player?

In the season Torres scored 24 goals, how many assists did he cop?
Go and check Rooney's assists for the past 5 seasons for Man Utd then get back to me.
Any idiot can stand in the box and score. . . . .Paolo Rossi, Oleg Salenko and Inzaghi were masters at doing nothing but scoring goals.
If that makes em the best players in the world then may God help your thinking faculty.

Rooney is a great player and he contributes a lot that u can't put numbers on and all round he's better than Torres. Rooney was in your box defending at the Nou camp ffs. That is just legendary stuff. . .and he was still flying down the flanks chasing hopeless balls. U can't put numbers on stuff like that.

Stop this delusion. . . . . .Football is about stats.
Every action gets recorded. . . . .tackles won, tackles lost, goals, assists, passes completed and the mileage. . . .
All these things get calculated to determine the best player and other shenanigans.
Without stats, how would we determine the best club in a league of we ignore win = 3points and draw = 1 point.
If you go about ignoring stats then Arsenal should be winning the EPL every season.

Football isn't all about stats. U (and SAF) know Berbatov is a good player because u've seen what he can do with the ball at his feet. . .not because he has been putting up big numbers his whole career. same with Rooney and players like Park. . .those guys are just good players. .  whether or not they put up numbers.

When will this geezer learn?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2009
it's quite interesting how these scumwats have moved grounds.
We are no longer talking about goals and strikers.
we are now talking about strikers and their assists.

Emperor now wants to talk about strikers with rugby like tackles
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread by Sauron1: 3:54pm On Aug 24, 2009
BlueDiva:

Sauron the advocate.
Leave matter, you will never agree with anybody but yourself.

That is because most people on this sports section including you are idiots.
It took Ibime(your fellow Chelskite) to persuade you Nani is better than Joe Cole.

It's no longer the goals, it's now assists.
Anyway, when comparing strikers, we usually use goals scored.
Likewise if we're comparing goalkeepers, we use clean sheets.

In modern football where team play reigns supreme. . . . . .Productivity is the key.
Messi is the best player in Spain not because he was the highest goal scorer last season but because his goals + assists statistic is peerless.
Rooney shits on Drogba in everything. . . . .Drogba is yet to score a league goal against Man Utd in 5 seasons.
Rooney has scored against every big team in England.

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (101)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2012/2013 / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! / Ajax vs Manchester United: Europa League Final (0 - 2) On 24th May 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.