Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,988 members, 7,873,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:18 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (232) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (821595 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:26pm On Dec 11, 2007
pumping777:

There is a difference between having units of a stock and having holdings of a stock. grin grin grin

You are speaking 'semantics' now! playing with words tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2007
RoughCut:

All these 'tory' about promoting PET bottlling as opposed to glass bottles will seriously impact the bottomline for betaglass infact it may put them out of business. Once the currency of this story starts gaining ground investors and potential investors alike may panic and send the shares nose-diving.

I will tread carefully on that one timing is of the essence!

This story has been making the rounds since early this year but yet nothing solid. The problem is that if insiders know this is not happening, they stand to profit while we are waiting for the bad news that will not come.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2007
ME, I still get CASH o! Wetin man go buy? If I put a price limit, my broker will not see to buy. If I don't, I'm almost guaranteed to buy at the max, if at all. I don tire. And I MUST spend it all by xmas. Nairalanders have hijacked AG Leventis, UPL, C&I, and Beta Glass.

Shig! What do we do now?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:30pm On Dec 11, 2007
Mr. Cee:

If this is always the case people that held stocks for so long and wanted to offload might come to this forum and announce them here and wait for the price to move up then they can cash out.
You can try it out  to validate your hypothesis if you think that's the way it works. I think that is just  being simplistic  

I just cannot believe you think its that simple
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:31pm On Dec 11, 2007
Mr. Cee:

If this is always the case people that held stocks for so long and wanted to offload might come to this forum and announce them here and wait for the price to move up then they can cash out.

That's why you do your homework! Don't buy based solely on gist. (I've been burned a couple of times: Livestock esp.)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:33pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ Fatherof2,

Baba oh, how u dey.

I don miss your contribution and advise.

Seems you have a lot of disciples now. It good for your school of thought.

Was away for a retreat at one far location from the city.Good to be back. Na true talk sey we go collect our money for FCMB. My plan is to use it as an entry into Zenith.

Hope you have not forgotten your word about the updates on what investment to look out for soon.

Placed my order for PHB last week after the unsuccessful one and expecting a response from my broker.

I intend to increase my order since these POs are being fully 200% oversubscribed and full allottment no even sure.

Big gbosa for you oh,

Gbosa, Gbosa, Gbosa
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:34pm On Dec 11, 2007
RoughCut:

You can try to validate your hypothesis if you think that's the way it works. I think that is just  being simplistic  

I agree with you. I don't see anyone on this forum that will just say "buy this stock" without any justification and will be taken seriously. I know some folks are just being modest, but most times, guys are spot on but it is usually based on sound analysis.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pinokio(m): 5:35pm On Dec 11, 2007
in september during the skye shelter fund offer skye bank promised that they would make sure the stock is listed on the Nigerian stock exchange for tradin within 3 months. 3months and 11 days after the offer we've still not heard a peep out of them. am i the only one thats bothered, or is there something they dont want to tell us? make dem no let my anger grow annoyed oh!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:37pm On Dec 11, 2007
pumping777:

This story has been making the rounds since early this year but yet nothing solid. The problem is that if insiders know this is not happening, they stand to profit while we are waiting for the bad news that will not come.
That is why stock-market investment is a whole package fundamentals, technicals and sentiments!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:39pm On Dec 11, 2007
pumping777:

I agree with you. I don't see anyone on this forum that will just say "buy this stock" without any justification and will be taken seriously. I know some folks are just being modest, but most times, guys are spot on but it is usually based on sound analysis.
Abi o my broda!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:43pm On Dec 11, 2007
kpineo:

@ Father of 2
what is the proposed exit on Zenith, am considering selling NASCON but the loss position is too high to absorb right now. am believing when year end results are released i should be able to get some profit and move on. Your thoughts

Zenith knew exactly what it was doing when it switched OFF the light on its stock when NSE placed it on TS immediately after announcing Q1 08'.
It had already gained 5% before TS.Q1 result would drum up support for the offer.Now going back one step before Q1 result was announced,the price it hovered around was N44, so my exit price would be:

N44 + (N44 * 25%) == N55

Besides the stock needs to gain some ground before the 1 for 4 bonus is given and causes dilution later.
Also its arch rival UBA may be releasing its Q1 08' and when its rival starts to gain,some people just like to see it follow.
That's my take.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pinokio(m): 5:47pm On Dec 11, 2007
its bee 3 months since the skye shelter fund offer, and not a ppep has been heard from them, i go shout if una no shout, NA WETIN DEY HAPPEN they promised to list it on the stock exchange in 3months, today makes it 3months, 11days after d offer, and i've not heard sh.t from dem, some one please say sometin to soothe my nerves
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:51pm On Dec 11, 2007
pinokio:

in september during the skye shelter fund offer skye bank promised that they would make sure the stock is listed on the Nigerian stock exchange for tradin within 3 months. 3months and 11 days after the offer we've still not heard a peep out of them. am i the only one thats bothered, or is there something they don't want to tell us? make them no let my anger grow annoyed oh!

Try asking your broker if he's heard anything. I have the prospectus and there is no contact info. The offer didn't get much traction here. I don't think many people were sold on the concept.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrCee(m): 5:52pm On Dec 11, 2007
RoughCut:

Seriously i'm beginning to believe that as soon as you mention a stock on this thread it just suddenly develops wings and before you can say Jack Robinson its out of reach shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Your quote suggests that is soon as you mentioned a stock people will scramble to buy it I am happy you know it doesn't really work that way, one really have to make an informed decision.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 5:53pm On Dec 11, 2007
easimoni:

ME, I still get CASH o! Wetin man go buy? If I put a price limit, my broker will not see to buy. If I don't, I'm almost guaranteed to buy at the max, if at all. I don tire.

Shig! What do we do now?

permit me to give you an unsolicited advice , try another broker. We share a broker . I opened a separate account and i get the lowest quote of the day when i give a market order. Recently i gave the two brokers the same quantity and no limits . You bet who got the least price.Having said that , am not saying they are not good,just that you can get a better deal someplace else.When peeps couldnt get phb , they got it at the first go.

Anyone watching niger ins ? its done 4.6% for three straight days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:57pm On Dec 11, 2007
Mr. Cee:

Your quote suggests that is soon as you mentioned a stock people will scramble to buy it I am happy you know it doesn't really work that way, one really have to make an informed decision.

Are you really taking that comment seriously? Gimme a break! its blatantly obvious that  it was meant as a joke and if you are taking it seriously i can conclude that either

[list]
[li]you don't have a sense of humour[/li]
[/list] or

[list]
[li]you still have a long way to go[/li]
[/list] or

[list]
[li]you still have a lot to learn[/li]
[/list]

or a combination of some or all of the above

I don't mean to be patronizing or uncivil to you on this thread but if you took my post seriously as to warrant that response from you then i can't conclude otherwise!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 6:04pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ All Nairalanders,

I thank God that they have finally gotten the Bank PHB for me.

Imagine how long it took them to muscle up to buy just 20,000 units of Bank PHB from thursday last week.

nairalanders, na una cause am oh. You don wan buy all the available units on the floor.

Anyway, there is always love in sharing information as long as we all benefit.

I also advice that peeps should do some analysis before investing and you can be sure of guidance from this forum.

I believe that our bond cant be broken.

Happy investing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:06pm On Dec 11, 2007
ololufemi:

@ All Nairalanders,

Imagine how long it took them to muscle up to buy just 20,000 units of Bank PHB from thursday last week.

nairalanders, na una cause am oh. You don wan buy all the available units on the floor.

I also advice that peeps should do some analysis before investing and you can be sure of guidance from this forum.

I believe that our bond can't be broken.

Happy investing

i join you to celebrate grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrCee(m): 6:09pm On Dec 11, 2007
ololufemi:

@ All Nairalanders,

I believe that our bond can't be broken.

Happy investing

Amen,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:16pm On Dec 11, 2007
barge:

Anyone watching niger ins ? its done 4.6% for three straight days.

9 month results in the offing? The increase in PAT over the 2nd half of 2006 was dramatic! Could be interesting. Nothing on the Tech Charts to suggest it was oversold. Major volumes (esp on +ve days) have been moved since mid-Nov. Signs of an institutional investor buying?

And yes, I've been studying Tech Analysis. See chart below tongue

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gonziiii(m): 6:18pm On Dec 11, 2007
Can anything good come out of livestock feeds, are they likely going to make good profit soon, i can't seem to find their quarterly results anywhere, can someone advice plz before i take the plunge,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 6:31pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ Thanks to you Roughcut and Mr Cee.

Thanks also to Fatherof2 for your support. It kept me headp on with my broker.

I also realised that these brokers are good for just buying and selling. A friend told me his broker adviced him to buy FirstInland on the floor and I was like What!

The broker even sold it with additional N1.50 as another commission he had to pay into a seperate account.

I strongly feel we need to educate our peeps about how to deal with brokers, they are reaping people off.

Imagine.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:39pm On Dec 11, 2007
gonziiii:

Can anything good come out of livestock feeds, are they likely going to make good profit soon, i can't seem to find their quarterly results anywhere, can someone advice plz before i take the plunge,

Go to proshareng.com. News --> Results and dividends. Work your way back and you will find their results there.

I will be careful will Livestock short term. They are yet to post solid results and they seem to be seeking additional funds all the time. See the statement below.

----
A total of 630,519,000 shares were added to the shares outstanding in the name of Livestock Feeds Plc on Thursday, November 22, 2007 following the Placing with three Investors.
----

Remember also that they declared exceptional items as part of profit, otherwise they would have reported a loss in one of the interim results.

The fundamentals don't look healthy to me. Now with about 1.2B outstanding shares, the forward PE is around 77.

I know it is a good cyclic stock, so if you are a technical trader, it might still pay off. Otherwise, nothing good to report.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 6:40pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ Gonziiii,

Take the plunge at your own risk, na your money but be careful oh. Know someone who bought First Inland on the floor at a premium.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrCee(m): 6:44pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ ALL,

Below is an article from bussiness day online happy reading.

Guangdong Xinguang International Group, a Chinesse bank is on the verge of signing a $500 million (N62.5 billion) deal with First Bank of Nigeria plc towards developing a free trade zone in Ogun state, Nigeria.
Sequel to the MoU signed by Guangdong Xinguang International Group and FirstBank of Nigeria Plc recently, in China, on the proposed $500 million projects in Ogun State Free Trade Zone, the Board of the Group and the President of China Development Bank’s visited Nigeria this week and met with FirstBank team to cement their relationship.

The President of China Development Bank Guangdong, Dai Danian expressed his pleasure on the Guangdong and FirstBank relationship and promised to use First Bank as the financial vehicle to support the Group’s $500 million projects in Ogun State and similar projects in Nigeria.

The Board Chairman of the Guangdong Xinguang International Group, Wu Rijing and his counterpart in China-Africa Investment Co. Limited, Sun Jianxiong also expressed their satisfaction on the partnership with FirstBank and the level of support given so far.

They confirmed that they will move to site before the end of the first quarter of 2008 and implored FirstBank to be ready to support them.

First Bank team led by the Group Head, Multilaterals and Financial Institutions who is anchoring the China relationship, Femi Bakre expressed appreciation to the Guangdong Group for choosing FirstBank as their natural partner and affirmed the bank’s readiness to partner with the Group in all endeavours and also, to collaborate with China Development Bank.

According to H.O Bakare, head, corporate planning and group coordination, also in attendance at the occasion were: Winnie Wei Chu, Secretary of the Board (China-Africa Investment Co. Limited), Sheng Yi, Customer Relationship Director (China Development Bank), Abdullahi Ibrahim, Group Head, Multinationals, Cecilia Majekodunmi, Group Head, National Corporates, Ivie Okpanachi, BDM, Lagos Island.

[size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2007
Can anyone explain CCNN's results?

It appears they made a loss in Q-3 because the PAT from Q-2 was 0.19B and Q-3 is now 0.12B despite growing turnover.

3RD QTR SEPT 2007
CEMENT COMPANY OF NORTHERN NIGERIA PLC, UNAUDITED 3RD QUARTER ENDED 30TH SEPTEMBER 2007

TURNOVER 07 N6.859b, 06 N4.880b

PBT 07 N168.987m, 06 (N209.110m)

TAXATION 07 (N52.400m) 06 (N14.895m)

PAT 07 N116.587m, 06 (N224.005m)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 7:10pm On Dec 11, 2007
My people,

Whats up with Nig- german? I hope nobody here bought at the peak ooo, It has been on a roller coaster ride - downward?

There was so much hype about it here, Anyway, lets see how far down it will go, right now its 21.91
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 7:13pm On Dec 11, 2007
easimoni:

9 month results in the offing? The increase in PAT over the 2nd half of 2006 was dramatic! Could be interesting. Nothing on the Tech Charts to suggest it was oversold. Major volumes (esp on +ve days) have been moved since mid-Nov. Signs of an institutional investor buying?

And yes, I've been studying Tech Analysis. See chart below tongue

Men this your chart strong oh.I no understand one TIN for am. grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2007
oga easimoni, me sef i no know.
i have a little fcmb which i will sell if it hits 24 naira or even 23 naira. my eye is looking at dangote sugar or unic insurance, that stock still looks good, forward pe of 17 right now. why dont you go for that below 3.35, im sure you will get. as for banks, you picked up access so you no get wahala. im thinking strongly about gtb.
pls holla with any suggestions.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 7:15pm On Dec 11, 2007
yodiyokun,
i didnt want to mention it but im really watching nig-german, if it hits 19, i am diving in, this stock is shaping up and looking attractive again.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:18pm On Dec 11, 2007
shigidi:

yodiyokun,
i didnt want to mention it but im really watching Nigeria-german, if it hits 19, i am diving in, this stock is shaping up and looking attractive again.

Una don start again  angry angry angry

Anyway, if you dive in at N19 you will be swimming with a stock that has a forward PE of 12. grin grin and you must find me behind you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 7:18pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ Fatherof2,

Evening baba and hope you are great.

Got this hunch that Access result may be cooking somewhere and this might bring a rally on the stock if it outperforms expectations.

The issue of oversubscription and returned money should also be considered.

Otherstocks on my radar for now are Diamond, IBTC (in about 3 months time due to Stanbic take-over- better to ait for it to drop a little points),

Any idea from the guru himself.

Its well appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.