Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,788 members, 7,875,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:24 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (230) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (821912 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:07am On Dec 11, 2007
ckenneths:

That NAFDAC policy against bottled drinks, how can it affect bottling companies like NBC and NBL,7up Guinness etc and their operations, can this affect their operations negatively. What of its effects on profitability?

It will affect them but will affect Beta Glass more.

For NBC and the likes, the implication is additional investments in PET bottles and plant and equipment. They will also have to write off the cost of the bottles since they will now be obsolete. So it will be an extra ordinary item that will affect their profit and balance sheet.

For Beta Glass, it will be a loss of business for them.
samstone4:

@youngdoc

Are you a medical student or a doctor?
How is it possible to be a medical student of Surgery in the USA?

@Wanajo

Betaglass used to be called Delta Glass.
Betaglass, NBC and A.G.Leventis are all controlled by the Leventis family.
I believe they are Greek-Nigerians.

Samstone4 cool cool

Beta Glass is a merger of many glass companies of which Delta Glass is one of them. There are other glass companies (like the one in Agbara) that makes up Delta Glass.

Yes the Leventis family controls them. They have a lot of investments in Nigeria. Not sure about them being Greek - Nigerians. I know that John Mastroudes was to be given a Nigerian citizenship but not sure if he got it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tiwantiwa: 10:09am On Dec 11, 2007
wanaj0:

I know that you've made money from Unity bank and as usual with most investors emotion takes the better of us and we continue to do the 'wrong' things until it is too late.

Imagine driving against the traffic. Of course you may get away with it many times but the day that you will be UNLUCKY, it will be terrible.

Really, there is nothing that Unity Bank has that makes it attractive. What is the unique selling point? Mangement? Size? Reah or what? Nothing!!!!!

Unity and Spring bank are two banks walking on tight ropes. Can't see a future for them.

not even with ohiwere being the chairman now , gbese sad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:10am On Dec 11, 2007
ckenneths:

Are we sure Dangote flour is not stealing their market shares already (Flour mills) what was their turnover like to compare last half year?

Don't think so. Turnover went up but PAT went down. So it is more of efficiency/margin issue.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:12am On Dec 11, 2007
tiwantiwa:

not even with ohiwere being the chairman now , gbese sad

Well, he is not a magician. NNB is the best bank out of the lot and that says a lot about the bank. I mean they are close to hopeless. With all due respect, that is too risky an investment to go into. No attrcation apart from the madness on NSE which is making people to BUY just anything. Won't be surprised if Onwuka Interbiz is being traded now!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:20am On Dec 11, 2007
@ wanajo, i have been meaning to ask you something, when is it right to exit a stock let me explain better, i recall you saying you bought oceanic at 5 naira at sold at 33 naira, thats cool but isnt there a chance if you held on , its next fiscal year will bring great profits with all the money absorbed. so why did you sell when im sure if you hold, oceanic might be 5o next year, pls help cos i need to know when to take these decisions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 10:24am On Dec 11, 2007
I am starting to feel that PET bottles will be in high demand soon, so who are the major pet bottle manufacturers and how can we get a bite at them.

How about canning as an option, what of can beers, can coke? What do you guys think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:26am On Dec 11, 2007
Hello Everyone from Fatherof2 to Yodiyokun, from Wanaj0 to Pumping and Easimoni.

Went for a retreat and got back. Heard about what happened on Nairaland. I wasnt aware because na one fine countryside bush/beach them carry us go for retreat.

Anyone noticed that FCMB was on bid yesterday.

Suspecting TS might be lifted soon.

Big gbosa to all my peeps onthis forum.

Thanks.

Got some news on the NSE to share. Its listed below.

Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, director general Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) has said that local investors control about 53 percent of the capital market capitalisation while, foreign investors account for 47 percent.
According to her, many of the listed companies on the have foreign or multinational affiliations which made it possible for them to come in and play actively.

Okereke-Onyiuke said the capital market had remained a place where promoters of projects (companies and governments) could raise long-term funds cheaply, relative to bank borrowing, through the issuance of either bonds or shares (equity).

"Governments issue bonds to finance variety of developmental projects while companies issue stocks to expand their capital base and inject long term equity in their capital. Nigeria has a formal market, with a stock exchange in operation since 1961 with government regulatory oversight via the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)" she said.

She said in order to meet the capital required by these companies and the fact that Nigeria provided world, class market, the foreigners see it as opportunity to have a glimpse of the market through investment in the companies.

In a paper presented at the Business Luncheon/ Public Lecture organised by Island Club recently titled; Investment Opportunities in the Nigerian Capital Market, Onyiuke said the market had grown tremendously. The market she said has grown its market capitalisation from N5.1 trillion at the beginning of 2007 to over N10.31 trillion which equals to over US$86 billion.

This amounts to about 52 percent of 2006 GDP as against 28.3 percent at the end of 2006

The movement of stocks in the capital market in recent times has defied all known records. Most stock’s movements have displayed unprecedented surprise to market watchers.

Ordinarily, stocks are known to make upward surge until they reach climax, but these days, stocks defy the routine that give analysts the window to watch its movements.

The movement is further coarsened by the facts that in recent times the blue chips either fall together or rise together, so also with the penny stocks.

From the Nigerian Stock Exchange monthly stock market review for July, footwear and accessories manufacturing and distilleries, an unknown a stock that opened July with 98 kobo led all the stocks in appreciation, adding N1.47 or 150 percent to close at N2.45.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 10:42am On Dec 11, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:46am On Dec 11, 2007
@ All,

Sounds like more money coming into our NSE. 2008 may turn out to be a great year

A South African investment firm, Novare, is partnering Nigerian Index Asset Management Limited to further lift the Nigerian capital market. Novare, a leading South African investment advisory and management firm that is owned majorly by Mvelaphanda Group Limited, and the Nigerian company, a fund manager registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), yesterday announced in principle agreement involving strategic technical collaboration.
It also involves the acquisition by Novare of a significant interest in Index.

Novare flaunts more than R13-billion (N234-billion) in its portfolio. Mvelaphanda Group is South Africa’s pre-eminent, broad-based and blacks-controlled, diversified industrial group listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange Limited (JSE).

Novare is currently working on an African fund whereby majority of international fund players would be able to put together money and fund projects across Africa. Nigeria is expected to benefit from the Novare-Index asset platform.

Oluseye Adetunmbi, managing director, Index, said upon approval by the regulatory authorities, the agreement would result in Novare deploying technical staff with expertise in integrated fund management in Nigeria. Novare, of course, will benefit from exposure to the fast growing Nigerian asset management market.

In a joint statement, Johan Henn, chief executive officer, Novare, said: "Part of our mission is to extend our business into Africa. This is an opportuned time for us to enter the Nigerian market with a strategic partnership that is complimentary for both partners."

Adetunmbi notes that the agreement with Novare compliments Index’s commitment to earn local and international confidence in asset management. Fund managers, according to him, will have a huge role to play with the level of growth that has been recorded by the Nigerian capital market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 10:46am On Dec 11, 2007
Funny joke!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 11:03am On Dec 11, 2007
@ oga wanajo

"DSR and First Bank should be money spinners in 2008. They are positioned for great things."

I consider ur opinion well well. I share some common convictions wit u( also a pastor)

What are ur reasons for selecting these stocks and what time frame and price level do u project they will achieve. I know DSR is trading at a low PE and expansion is likely. But what of this quarterly dividend thing that stunts their performance.

For FBN;dont u think the dilution from over subcription will affect this yr perf.

What s ur take on Wapco.

Actually Ive got a facility I want to invest for a 8-12mths
So I m looking for the best one or at most two.

Will apreciate other contributors.

Welldone to everryone who has made this forum alive.
Wishing us a bullish 2008.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 11:17am On Dec 11, 2007
drdaniel:

@ oga wanajo

"DSR and First Bank should be money spinners in 2008. They are positioned for great things."

I consider your opinion well well. I share some common convictions wit u( also a pastor)

What are your reasons for selecting these stocks and what time frame and price level do u project they will achieve. I know DSR is trading at a low PE and expansion is likely. But what of this quarterly dividend thing that stunts their performance.

For FBN;don't u think the dilution from over subcription will affect this yr perf.

What s your take on Wapco.

Actually Ive got a facility I want to invest for a 8-12mths
So I m looking for the best one or at most two.

Will apreciate other contributors.

Welldone to everryone who has made this forum alive.
Wishing us a bullish 2008.

On DSR, it is undervalued, relatively low PE with expansion/growth expected in 2008. That should help the bottomline. Yes the quarterly dividend is an issue but going forward, the market will definitely recognise its value. Also in a bearish market, don't expect it to take a hit.

on First Bank, yes I've factored in the dilution. By the time Q1 2008 result is out, FBN will skyrocket. They will definitely exceed the forecast in the prospectus. FBN has all and more that Zenith and co has. Look at there branch expansion strategy, look at the money from Western union, look at teh deployment of the N250bn raised. Come 2008, expect a mind blowing performance from First Bank. Now if they recover part or all of the N10bn from the IIL saga.

WAPCo, not too bullish about them. Good stock, good company but not well favoured. Loss of the MD to Obajana is also not a good sign.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 12:19pm On Dec 11, 2007
Anyone noticed that FCMB was on bid yesterday.
@ ALL
pls ow do u kno if a stock is on bid? embarassed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 12:30pm On Dec 11, 2007
@lawalIdowu, Nairalanders

I know proshareng.com have a list of the top bids and offers for the day with their stockmarket reports.
Don't know where to get the comprehensive list for all the bids and offers.

Will like to know where to get the bids and offers live!

Samstone4 cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2007
thats a good joke.! grin grin grin, i guess she has bn sleeping on okonkwo mother's bed rather.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 1:00pm On Dec 11, 2007
MyPeace:

thats a good joke.! grin grin grin, i guess she has bn sleeping on okonkwo mother's bed rather.

@ Mypeace

Are you sure you are at the right thread?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ola007(m): 1:10pm On Dec 11, 2007
wanaj0:

On DSR, it is undervalued, relatively low PE with expansion/growth expected in 2008. That should help the bottomline. Yes the quarterly dividend is an issue but going forward, the market will definitely recognise its value. Also in a bearish market, don't expect it to take a hit.

on First Bank, yes I've factored in the dilution. By the time Q1 2008 result is out, FBN will skyrocket. They will definitely exceed the forecast in the prospectus. FBN has all and more that Zenith and co has. Look at there branch expansion strategy, look at the money from Western union, look at the deployment of the N250bn raised. Come 2008, expect a mind blowing performance from First Bank. Now if they recover part or all of the N10bn from the IIL saga.

WAPCo, not too bullish about them. Good stock, good company but not well favoured. Loss of the MD to Obajana is also not a good sign.

Who is DSR?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2007
Ola007:

Who is DSR?

DSR is Dangote Sugar Refinery, you get it now?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ola007(m): 1:24pm On Dec 11, 2007
crazyT:

DSR is Dangote Sugar Refinery, you get it now?

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 1:24pm On Dec 11, 2007
@CrazyT, she is not in a wrong thread, there was a joke earlier on, very funny one. The mum must have been a player in her days, how else could she set that fine trap?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2007
MyPeace:

You still dey read jokes? it will take God's mercy for what you did with Trans Express. From 0.67 it is now close to 2.00. That's enough to go on Holiday in Hawaii. Kai!!!!!!

God will forgive you sha.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 1:30pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ Wanaj0

I want to thank you for your advice on CAPOIL; I have sold 30% already meaning I take to your advice of getting my invested money and little profit.
Though it’s painful to still see that it has gained more than 100% (again) after I have sold the 30% but I still think it’s a good move.

The remaining 70% has gained about 800% altogether now, thank to you, if not for your advice I would have bailed out at around 250%

The 30% has been diverted to Intenegins @ 1.76, what’s your take on Intenergins?

Say the (postive) words and see my Intenergins stocks goes up  grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:31pm On Dec 11, 2007
ckenneths:

I forgot to add that CPL produces crown corks for the bottled products, I don't know how truthful it is but the source insists that CPL also produces crowns for 7up, Guinness etc.

Does anyone know how truthful that is?

Correct. I know they are main suppliers of Nigerian Breweries and Guinness.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BOUS: 2:37pm On Dec 11, 2007
For i.G.i subscribers, certificates will be dispatched on the Dec.18,07 while returned monies is ongoing though subscribers to the placement received full allotment. We than God.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BOUS: 2:47pm On Dec 11, 2007
I wonder what is happening to union diagonostics,still haven't heard anything yet? universal insurance is getting set for listing,deap capiatal fidson pharmaceuticals and FTN Cocoa preocessing. Fidson and FTN are being handled by meristem securities.

What's the latest on union diagonostics.
Guess u are all aware of cospains offer [ 12 -- 30/31 december] Pice target N33. offer price N13 -- rating Aaa by me
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BOUS: 2:53pm On Dec 11, 2007
No news from Dangote flour yet?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Panadol(m): 3:04pm On Dec 11, 2007
@All,

Please post the application form for AIICO.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BOUS: 3:12pm On Dec 11, 2007
Answer to yourquestion

Idowu,

A stock is on bid when the demand for the stock is higher than the supply.[Stock becomes scarce]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 3:14pm On Dec 11, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 3:25pm On Dec 11, 2007
Bid and offer stats are partially treated at proshre site. But they only show the top four bids and top four offers. They however dont show the real bid qty.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 4:08pm On Dec 11, 2007
FCMB still on TS and controlling strong bids.

We are still waiting for them to lift it oh make we get our money oh.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 4:10pm On Dec 11, 2007
crazyT:

@ Mypeace

Are you sure you are at the right thread?

i removed the post because i didnt want i t to be part of the archive just something to spice the day . will repost it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.