Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,873 members, 7,876,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:50 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (509) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (821971 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2008
kpineo:

Can someone post the contact details of the registrars to the oceanic PO. is it Oceanic registrars, i never get my certificate since. will i be the last in the country. What can i do peeps? embarassed embarassed

I think it has been mentioned here severally that if you bought over 50k units, you may need to go pick it up yourself.

@shigidi, have you been able to verify your UBA certificate?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2008
@yodiyokun
e near but no reach dat level. help still needed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:55pm On Feb 19, 2008
kpineo:

@yodiyokun
e near but no reach that level. help still needed.

Na wa oo - sometimes one wonders how these registrars decide on which certificates to post and which ones to hold.

Anybody with information please help @kpineo.

I thought SEC said they are working on this long wait for certificates !!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by promotion(m): 5:56pm On Feb 19, 2008
Netle don disappoint. Wetin see for candle. E be like say I go organize to remove am from long time portfolio. I no need portfollio stabilizer we no fit meet up with at least 1/2 the rate of NSE growth. The dividend sef no sweet again. E be like say NSE don mature pas NESTLE. Abi wetin una think eyin long term gurus.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:58pm On Feb 19, 2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:01pm On Feb 19, 2008
aktopgun:

see me see trouble o! are u asking me to leave the thread because i post candlestick analysis, so that i don't distract us. Harrisoft, who be the us wey u dey refer to?

so i should stop posting because u feel side tracked? what exactly are u on about mate? if its a case of u not understanding what is posted then by all means, ignore it. afterall, the charting pattern is about stocks and not candle manufacturing ke!!

nah mate, nah. its a free forum and until u start urs i suggest u either ignore my posts or get used to it! What the ,     

The beauty of a thread like this is the diversity of opinion and tools available for decision making. Personally I dont place much value on candle talk. but for die hard short termers it is an invaluable tool. Me, I dont trust the charts. The charts for transcorp up until the day of the reversal would have given no indication of the possibilty of such fundamental happenings.
That said I believe that everyone is welcome to contribute what he has to the development of this thread. Whoever is not comfortable with a particular method can just ignore any mention of it. I actually skip a lot of the information on this thread. I take what I can use and leave the rest. That I dont like amala does not mean they should not sell it in my favourite restauarant.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2008
frankiriri:

The beauty of a thread like this is the diversity of opinion and tools available for decision making. Personally I don't place much value on candle talk. but for die hard short termers it is an invaluable tool. Me, I don't trust the charts. The charts for transcorp up until the day of the reversal would have given no indication of the possibilty of such fundamental happenings.
That said I believe that everyone is welcome to contribute what he has to the development of this thread. Whoever is not comfortable with a particular method can just ignore any mention of it. I actually skip a lot of the information on this thread. I take what I can use and leave the rest. That I don't like amala does not mean they should not sell it in my favourite restauarant.

Shitta! HMMMMM
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:07pm On Feb 19, 2008
CCNN - The main problem I have is the rights issue that was done last year at N6.50 when the stock  was on TS at N21.30.  The ratio was 4 for 25.

Since the stock came out of TS, there has been so much selling pressure I guess from those that got from the rights issue. Many folks just got their rights and started selling their main holdings.

No result is expected till earliest April (FY or Q-1).

Short term it is a possible option. It will depend on how good the results are but I'm not very hopeful.

Long term is a no for me. Forward PE is over 160x and you can be hit by over-dilution once the subscribers to the rights issue get their shares credited. That may be the time to enter.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:23pm On Feb 19, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Truly, apart from the money I make on the NSE, its UNPREDICTABILITY is a great fun, a panacea for MAJOR DEPRESSION!!!!!!!  I recommend you prescribe it to your patients.  Who knows?
shocked shocked shocked Recommending the NSE ( for its unpredictability ) to people with emotional problems will be suicidal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 6:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
Iyke-D:

"Due process" is about to be taught real due process.  Like I said before, expect a $1billion
lawsuit against the Federal Government, after all it was the same Federal Government that
sold NITEL to Transcorp.  smiley smiley   Abi? Its not Transcorp's problem if the same Federal Govt or
its agents failed to follow due process when their NITEL bid was accepted!

Unless the initial agreement with BPE specifially say that Transcorp MUST invest $1billion in
NITEL which it failed to do, Transcorp can wiggle out of this one, after all, business conditions
are subject to changes - lenders may change their minds, IPOs may fail, etc.  A promise is just
a promise! 

I think the fun part is just beginning and in the end, the government will be begging Transcorp,
to forget what was announced this weekend  smiley  We shall see.

I hope for your own sake that you're right. I know you have a good-sized stake in this company and I also recall the BIG argument that we had sometime ago when the PO was on. In all of this, one thing's for sure: an investment in transcorp has been a huge opportunity cost to those who invested. It's an outrage that the NSE and SEC allowed a company like this to come looking for funds in the equities market. For a company that had no history of operations, funds should only have been sought in the PP market where there's the appetite for much higher risk.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 6:40pm On Feb 19, 2008
hbrednic:

some rumours are very close to the truth,afribank will be rewarding shareholders with both[b] bonus [/b] and dividens soonest.
so no shaking.

I'll be honestly shocked, if afribank gives another bonus. They just gave a 1 for 5 last year and have just concluded their PO. Why would they want to do a thing like give another bonus when they haven't even come up with meaningful ideas to increase their EPS?  shocked Anyway, anything's possible in this market  lipsrsealed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 6:40pm On Feb 19, 2008
easimoni:

Shitta! HMMMMM

SHITTA!

LOL!  grin grin grin

Memories! Memories!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ACL(m): 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2008
HI WENDY,

Can u plese give just one stock against tomorrow purchse.
I was thinking of NIWICABLE or TRIPPLE G.
thank, waiting
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:47pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ Wendy,
my respect for you just multiplied (irrespective of your support for Bill Belicheat  tongue) based on your Transcorp yarns oh and thanks for the Niwicable tip. 'folio is smiling

To all those mad at the FG, let's wait for the details to come out. I worked in the deal-making department of a major oil company and our partners often wrote penalties for failing to meet performance milestones into our contracts. Who says the FG didn't so the same? The ability to make measurable progress to revive NITEL may have been a condition of the sale. No one can argue the fact that lil or no progress has been made (still don't know anyone with a NITEL line).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 6:55pm On Feb 19, 2008
@Ioma

well, I just dey learn from all the Gurus in the house !, I bought Union Dicon absolutely on my own by just keeping an eye on the trend !, It is one VERY GOOD decision that I will like to take forward.

Whatever you do, make sure you keep learning actively.

@Fatherof 2, How bodi?, where you dey sef , abi you don go attend transcorp conference grin, knowing Nigeria very well something is up with that stock,
what is the stake with IEI, are they likely to go on TS soon, I am thinking of upgrading to first class, ??

@AKT, let the GP says whatever they like, the counsel of the Lord must stand on Tobe.
and those "candles" are good for health, so don't let anyone talk you down.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2008
pumping777:

Afribank "rumour" is a close at it gets. It's the MD that dropped the hint. I posted the news story a day or two ago.

The important fact is that the bank is in a "position" to give bonus considering the number of outstanding shares. If the price of this stock does not move, how will they compensate those that bought the PO at N25?.

This is a done deal. The price must waka somehow.

You know, my knee jerk reaction was to initially disagree on the bank being in a position to give bonus. But on further thoughts you may just be right. Right now they have about 6.13b shares outstanding, including the bonus of last year. PO was for 4b and assuming they absorb 25% extra, that should bring total shares outstanding to 11.13b, which isn't much considering what we see from other banks. But Afribank is relatively a non-performer among the banks, so even the 11.13b outstanding will put the valuation at whacky levels -- unless of course they come out with fantastic results soon. So bottomline, there might be some truth to the bonus rumor afterall  smiley smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2008
@easimoni
So u think OBJ will put such a clause in giving selling NITEL to Transcorp? Its most unlikely.

Things like that are very rare in the public sector.

Whats intriguing is the huge cross over happening during the TS.If it continues till weekend,then i think a script is just been acted out in public.

I am watching.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:13pm On Feb 19, 2008
@easimoni, shigidi - Wetin dey ground for RT Briscoe? I know FY result is coming out soonest but any fleshy rumour out there?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ All,

Prospects of returns drive investors’ interest in Universal Insurance

Meanwhile, industry watchers say the company, which was listed on the floor last week on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) at a market price of N1.85 kobo, is already showing prospects of fast becoming one of the most sought-after stocks in the insurance sub-sector. In addition, the firm’s plans for an initial public offering of its shares is also sparking huge interests in investment circles, as the insurance sub-sector continues to post impressive performance at the capital market.
Cyril Ajagu, group managing director, Universal Insurance plc, said the company is confident of attaining a share price of over N10 in the short run given the strength of its brand equity and successful transformation of its service delivery, product research and development, claims administration, information and communication technology platforms after the consolidation exercise. According to him, investors who buy into Universal now stand to gain huge returns, while clients will be treated to excellent services driven by professionalism, prompt claims payment, and best practices. “The new Universal Insurance Plc symbolizes strength, stability, innovativeness, and excellent service delivery.
“We are bringing a new approach to the insurance industry that will make insurance a way of life for all Nigerians, a development that will increase patronage and our industry’s contribution to the nation’s economic development,” he said.
Ajagu said in addition to being capitalized in excess of N5 billion, Universal is currently involved in talks with foreign partners to foster enhanced financial capacity and strategic alliances that will translate to greater competitive advantage in local and global insurance markets. “Universal is erecting structures that will enable it metamorphose into a one-stop financial services group. Our passion is to provide financial solutions to all Nigerians. We have since engaged human capital, ICT and asset management consultants to enhance our operations and ensure wealth creation and effective risk management services to our existing and prospective clients,” he added.
The Universal boss noted that plans had been concluded for continuing training and retraining opportunities that will improve the knowledge and performance of all cadres of staff in the company. “These training sessions are expected to prepare the firm’s workers for extensive research/product development and acquaint them with unfolding service delivery trends. The bottom line is that we shall thrive on innovation, professionalism, best practices, and superior service delivery,” he said.

Sounds like a clear case of price manipulation and what to expect from other insurance companies in terms of capital appreciation.

cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 7:23pm On Feb 19, 2008
Shoprite To Open Nine New Stores In Nigeria Over The Next Year As First-Half Profit Climbs 48% on Job Growth in South Africa

2008-02-19 05:56 (New York)

Shoprite Holdings Ltd., South Africa's largest food retailer by market value, said first-half profit rose 48 percent as employment increased and after a strike reduced year-earlier sales. Net income in the six months through Dec. 31 climbed to 683.3 million rand ($89.9 million), or 1.28 rand a share, from 462.5 million rand, or 86.5 cents, a year earlier, Cape Town-based Shoprite said today in a stock exchange statement. Sales increased 22 percent to 23.3 billion rand.

Shoprite, the country's biggest publicly traded retailer, benefited from an expanding economy and rising incomes amongst an emerging black middle class. The highest interest rates in four years, rising gasoline costs and power outages may undermine future sales, making it more difficult for the company to match earnings growth in the second half, Shoprite said today.

``There is no doubt that the fallout is spreading to food categories,''said Syd Vianello, a retail analyst at Nedcor Securities Ltd. in Johannesburg, who has a ``buy'' recommendation on Shoprite. ``It shows that the economy has weakened a lot more than we had thought. People are ditching top end products and going for alternative brands that are cheaper.''

While sales at Shoprite's higher-end Checkers stores rose 13 percent in the first half, the Usave outlets, which target lower-income earners, boosted revenue by 44 percent, the company said. The 301 Shoprite stores increased sales by 27 percent.

`Not Immune'

``Although the food sector does not feel the effects of an economic downturn as immediately or acutely as some other sectors, it is not immune to it,'' Shoprite said in the statement. The ``outlook is bound to worsen further, especially in the short term, particularly as the effects of the present energy crisis are experienced more widely in all sectors.''

Profit in the prior year's first half was reduced by a 12-week strike that forced some stores to close and crimped sales. Excluding the effect of the strike, profit rose about 30 percent, Chief Executive Officer Whitey Basson told analysts at a presentation in Johannesburg today. Shoprite, which has 1,220 stores in the country under brands OK Furniture and Hungry Lion, plans to open 44 outlets in the second half, according to the statement. It plans to open a second store in Lagos, Nigeria and build two in the Democratic Republic of Congo, expanding its overseas stores from 16.

Basson said Nigeria ``can probably handle 100 stores with comfort''because the market is ``underserviced.'' It plans to open between eight and nine new stores over the next year in Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, he added. A construction boom and strong consumer spending boosted economic growth in Africa's biggest economy to an annualized 4.7 percent in the third quarter, compared with 4.4 percent in the previous three months, the statistics office said on Nov. 27. The economy added 30,000 jobs in the three months through September, the office said on Dec. 12.

Higher Dividend

``The emerging black middle class continued to be a strong economic driver,'' Shoprite said. ``There is increasing indications that more and more money from the extensive informal sector is finding its way into the formal sector.'' A weaker currency and rising international grain prices may push food inflation up to about 15 percent by August, Basson said. Shoprite boosted food prices by 7.99 percent in the first half, compared with an annual food inflation rate of 13.9 percent in December, according to official data. The company plans to pay a dividend of 49 cents a share for the first half, 40 percent higher than a year ago.Shoprite shares rose 43 cents, or 1.2 percent, to 37.43 rand as of 12:49 p.m. in Johannesburg, giving the company a market value of 20.3 billion rand. The stock has climbed 25 percent in the past six months, compared with a 9.9 percent gain in the benchmark FTSE/JSE Africa All Share index.

Source

-- Bloomberg

Sounds e if them do PO, person fit hammer ome buy hummer big time oh.

Anyone with info about them le boys know. If shoprite dey 25% for Jo'burg stock exchange, imagine wetin go happen for naija.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

Prospects of returns drive investors’ interest in Universal Insurance

Sounds like a clear case of price manipulation and what to expect from other insurance companies in terms of capital appreciation.

cool cool cool cool

I guess they will not disclose they listed 16B shares. And to think i was actually bidding for this stock says a lot about sentiments driving up the stock price!

Dont be surprised if they go on TS as soon as they hit the N10 mark.

Who says miracles are not happening on the NSE?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2008
Dejipumping,
NA you sabi.No allow me change my mind carry cashcraft go SEC.People for your office don call me dey beg say make we resolve the issue amicably.So don't go defending your company blindly.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:45pm On Feb 19, 2008
ololufemi:

Shoprite To Open Nine New Stores In Nigeria Over The Next Year As First-Half Profit Climbs 48% on Job Growth in South Africa

2008-02-19 05:56 (New York)

Sounds e if them do PO, person fit hammer ome buy hummer big time oh.

Anyone with info about them le boys know. If shoprite dey 25% for Jo'burg stock exchange, imagine wetin go happen for naija.

grin grin grin grin grin

PO with just  Shoprite  in Lekki i dont think so somehow. They will have to do better than that
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 7:57pm On Feb 19, 2008
blueband:

Dejipumping,
NA you sabi.No allow me change my mind carry cashcraft go SEC.People for your office don call me dey beg say make we resolve the issue amicably.So don't go defending your company blindly.

Baba Blueband

I don't really know why someone is stressing you in Cashcraft.
My Account officer Taiwo is at my beck and call.
He has never disappointed or ever did anything without my consent.
Someone must be bad in there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 8:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
Daily Stock position attached:

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 8:10pm On Feb 19, 2008
frankiriri:

The beauty of a thread like this is the diversity of opinion and tools available for decision making. Personally I don't place much value on candle talk. but for die hard short termers it is an invaluable tool. Me, I don't trust the charts. The charts for transcorp up until the day of the reversal would have given no indication of the possibilty of such fundamental happenings. That said I believe that everyone is welcome to contribute what he has to the development of this thread. Whoever is not comfortable with a particular method can just ignore any mention of it. I actually skip a lot of the information on this thread. I take what I can use and leave the rest. That I don't like amala does not mean they should not sell it in my favourite restauarant.

@frankiriri

well said bro. whilst i'm not holding brief for candlestick analysis, i don't expect anyone to make decisions blindly at all. Regardless of what the candles say or said. i woudnt not have bought Transcorp for all the Harami in japan!
that said though, the candles did predict the upturn in transcorp after a sustained bear run. Please observe below the chart. just this once wink

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 8:11pm On Feb 19, 2008
I am moving my money gradually out of cashcraft.I be small fish so e no go affect them. cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2008
blueband:

If Transcorp was not placed on TS it would have reached 20 naira and obviously that would have justified SECs position that dirty deals are going on on the NSE.SEC needs to be on top of their game or else sooner than later we no get any NSE again.Can you imagine Madam Onyuike saying SEC should have contacted them first,re-AFROIL,AP et al.A man goes to steal money and when police catch am,the thief papa dey vex say why police no contact am before going public.
I tire.

LOL!!!  grin grin grin. But in fairness to NSE, the SEC should have hinted them first na. Abi how else are they going to carry out the investigation conclusively since the trades are being done through the NSE? Infact one would have expected that the SEC would have investigated the nature of those trades and from whose accounts the shares were being traded before coming out to announce that they suspect fraud, and it's the NSE that can provide such info. Abi what do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by richieade(m): 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2008
NBA:

SHITTA!

LOL! grin grin grin

Memories! Memories!

Onilegogoro,

The tuwo beta pas the amala tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Talktrue(m): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2008
AK47

abeg the send the image the come, and the explanation too. I don the burn my own candle too
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by beginner: 8:23pm On Feb 19, 2008
My fellow nairalanders

If your broker charges 1% fees, please how much should the total charges be?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:26pm On Feb 19, 2008
Salvage:

@dollyp1cute

I didnt know you had already asked pumping that question before I clicked reply.

I am wondering the same thing.

E be like Oga pumping they put fire for Aiico rocket for CICO reasons grin

Some of us also have CICO plans in other Insurance firms too .

Your opinions here dey sell market o soo abeg easy on the other Insurance firms  grin

Wait o, are you accusing Pumping of "pumping and dumping"?  shocked shocked shocked

Oya, oga Pumping777, defend yourself  smiley your reputation is at stake o

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.