Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,414 members, 7,881,517 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:02 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (765) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (822812 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by obiguy(m): 10:37pm On Aug 26, 2008
my people, i went to naija last month and bought 11,000 units of first bank at N43.79 and 18,000 units of gtb at N26.89, please what are the current price for those shares ?

i need help, am i loosing or gaining?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 10:40pm On Aug 26, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

Does anyone know the outcome of the merger between Sterling and Eco Bank ?
(http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007110812212262)

The merger did not happen. They both plan to raise funds from the market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 10:45pm On Aug 26, 2008
Latest news on measures to support the market effective tomorrow:

Maximum downward movement now 1% instead of 5%

Companies allowed to buy back 20% of listed shares

Banks to extend credit period to creditors.

This I guess is the usual news for a mini bull run. The were signs today.  Thread with care though.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by reaZON(m): 4:48am On Aug 27, 2008
obiguy:

my people, i went to naija last month and bought 11,000 units of first bank at N43.79 and 18,000 units of gtb at N26.89, please what are the current price for those shares ?

i need help, am i loosing or gaining?
To know the current prices of your stock ,visit www.cashcraft.com

To learn how to invest in the Nigerian stock market and make huge profit,
visit www. stock707.. com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by reaZON(m): 5:12am On Aug 27, 2008
iykesam:

Guys, am a novies in stock trading or investment, need help on infomation. Does any one know about Penny Stock, is it different from the normal stock trading? Please I want to invest in the stock market and make money, but I have only #50000, can I make a head way with it? And how do I start?
I'll appreciate any valuable help from u guys.
Thanks. ibehsam@yahoo.com

penny stock investment is like normal stock trading and it has potential for huge profit. much money can also be lost in penny stocks, hence the need for the right investmnet decision.
#50,000 is enough to make a head way,
You start by defining your goals for investing, then get a good stockbroker,

To get the full info on penny stocks, How to start and other very useful investment tips,
please visit www. stock707.. com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 9:03am On Aug 27, 2008
FG Moves to Check NSE Meltdown

A 16-man Presidential Advisory team has been constituted by the Federal Government, in its bid to stem the continuous fall of stocks in the Nigerian capital market.
Comprising members from the public and private sectors, the team would meet regularly to articulate and implement medium to long term measures necessary for healthy growth and development of the capital market.
Members of the team include minister of finance, minister of justice/attorney General of the Federation, minister of National Planning, Chief Economic Adviser to the president, Governor of CBN, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, DG SEC, DG NSE, DG Debt management Office, Managing Director Union Bank, Plc, Managing Director, Access bank, Plc, Managing Director, Intercontinental Bank, Plc, Bolaji Balogun, Ebilate Mac-Yoroki, Kayode Falowo and Oladipo Aina.
Briefing State House Correspondents after the meeting with Vice President Goodluck Jonathan and stakeholders aimed at stabilising the Nigerian capital market, Usman said the current situation had been a source of concern to the Federal Government.
Government, through the office of the Attorney General of the Federation, is to also issue an exemption to permit share buy back up to 20per cent.
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Nigerian Stock Exchange(NSE), will also take administrative actions to stem the rate of new listings, until the market is stabilised. SEC, NSE and all capital markets operators have also agreed to reduce their fees significantly, while modalities for establishment of capital market stabilisation fund are being worked out.
In the same vein, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has started taking measures to improve the liquidity situation in the economy.
According to him, the presidential team which is expected to meet regularly, took far reaching decisions at the meeting, which include setting up of a presidential advisory team on the Nigerian capital market. He also revealed that NSE is taking steps to review its trading rules and regulations.
He said effective from today, maximum downward limit on daily price movement had been pegged at one per cent, while the current five per cent limit on upward movement was retained.
SEC, he said would release guidelines for market makers on the Nigerian Stock Exchange before the end of the week.
Speaking further, he said:
“A Presidential Advisory Team on the Nigerian Capital Market has been constituted; The Office of the Attorney General of the Federation has been directed to issue an exemption to the provisions of the relevant sections of the Companies and Allied Matters Act, 1990 on share buy-backs to permit quoted companies to buy back up to 20% of their shares. The Securities and Exchange Commission’s approval would be necessary before any quoted company is allowed to undertake any share buy-back.”

“The SEC, the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and all Capital Markets operators have agreed to reduce their fees significantly. For example, the NSE with effect from Wednesday August 27th will reduce its fees by 50%.
“The modalities for the establishment of a Capital Market Stabilization Fund are being worked out to intervene promptly, effectively and prudently in the Nigerian Stock Market as the need arises. The CBN is taking appropriate measures to review the liquidity situation in the economy and take appropriate measure to improve the liquidity in the system if required.
“The NSE is taking steps to review its trading rules and regulations. In the interim, effective Wednesday 27th August, 2008, it has taken the following steps : one per cent maximum downward limit on daily price movement whilst the current five per cent limit on upward movement is retained; The SEC would release guidelines for Market Makers on the Nigerian Stock Exchange before the end of the week; Henceforth there will be strict enforcement of NSE’s listing requirement with zero tolerance for infractions. The SEC and NSE will also take administrative actions to stem the rate of new listings until the market stabilizes; Having gone through the steps for delisting, the stock exchange will delist all the moribund companies earlier advertised.”
He also said, “ Nigerian banks would restructure existing facilities extended to licensed stock brokers, institutional and individual investors to allow for longer repayment periods.
“Nigerian Banks would partner with market makers to inject funds into the capital market through appropriately structured credit facilities.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=120823
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanloski(m): 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2008
that smells like market rigging to me! 1% down movt 5% up movt. But the question is:WHY HAVE ANY LIMIT AT ALL? this is just turning the market to a joke! Protecting same rogues who have been fleecing the "average investor" (read idiots who put money in vehicles they dont know anything about)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 2:56pm On Aug 27, 2008
PEOPLE UNA DON LOOK MARKET TODAY?.

" E DON HAPPEN OH".
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2008
@Fatherof2, I greet una o , long time, grin

E don happen, but e get K-leg !
Manipulating the market as we have it now will surely breed big loosers and big winners,
Make folks shine eye well well, by the time they remove the VP shock absorber, Yawah go gas, !

I no say you sabi market pass any of us to know better,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Melifew(m): 3:45pm On Aug 27, 2008
What's up with this upward trend in the market today
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by husu(m): 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2008
FatherOF2:

PEOPLE UNA DON LOOK MARKET TODAY?.

" E DON HAPPEN OH".
@father of 2,
people wey get money go dey strike,people wey no get go sit down dey watch till they recover from their losses.God dey!!!. Fidelity no join at all. Even PHB showing some week signs.I think the bull will last. UP NSE!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gonyix: 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2008
Did not happen.
The marriage wAS DEAD ON ARRIVAL
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2008
@ All,

Just to ensure that they buy back their shares at below the public offer prices.

See how the rich dey enjoy and the poor dey suffer.

I smell something fishy, another bubble waiting to burst

Why the manipulation. Even 100,000 rule don enter dustbin.

Na wah oh. Me dey fear that this wont last more than 2 weeks.

Remember the bolt and nut story on freezing the prices.

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by JeopardE(m): 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2008
It is our "olodo" regulators that are making the market bounce.

Now we are going to have to wait for a painfully long time until the market either finds a bottom or these retarded rules are lifted.

Price floors. Did these people even pay attention in their undergraduate economics class? Price floors don't work. They only delay the inevitable.

Those of you still holding bank stocks, better sell into the rally while you still can.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:27pm On Aug 27, 2008
Start counting down,

2 weeks from now, them go commot this decking wey them put for the NSE floor.

Imagine, Yardua commot for Hajj, them don scatter market for them selfish gains.

I hope that IGI and other PP guys will list now or else, them go hear when.

its a bad time to be caught in technical suspension.

This aint gonna last for long.

What sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander

1% up, 1% down

Me confused.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 5:46pm On Aug 27, 2008
i got 10milloin Naira from a client to buy shares in preparation for the coming bulls run.
shockingly,we could not see any buy today.all the stocks picked were all on bid.these are
stocks that were not doing two well in the past few days.
NSE na wa oo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 7:47pm On Aug 27, 2008
I beg to differ on all those crying wolf. While the measure may not be perfect, it's a welcome development. One shouldn't throw out the baby with bath water so to speak. For example, the allowance of sharebuy backs by firms is a move in the right direction. If all the measures are implemented to the letter, I think the bull run could be sustained. Coupled with already depressed prices, I think it's an opportunity to snap up bargains. If the companies are churning out bad results then it's a different ball game. But with companies releasing good results and prices still crashing, what other buy signal does one need? I say buy in tranches. Be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 8:16pm On Aug 27, 2008
When will Nigerians believe in themselves. The measures are sure welcome. If they did not do anything we will complain, if they do something we will complain. Now for those complaining etc. Tell me, what is the difference between prices being marked up 5% and down 5% and the present one 5% up and 1%. Now the former 5% up and 5% down, was it dictated by market forces or is it not still the same regimented price movement? The changes and regulations are welcome. Many will sit here complaining, while others will take full advantage of this upturn to make their millions. Sit there and be complaining, as at today, some have recorded 5% already on the stocks they gather liver to buy two days ago. Interestingly even if the prices go down tomorrow they are losing only 1%. If you don't like this I wonder what on earth you are doing at NSE. Don't buy yet I will sell to you later at a much higher price by which time you would have gathered more confidence in the market. REMEMBER, it is MARKET, nothing more than that. And Nigerian Market at that!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:41pm On Aug 27, 2008
Mr. Risky:

When will Nigerians believe in themselves. The measures are sure welcome. If they did not do anything we will complain, if they do something we will complain. Now for those complaining etc. Tell me, what is the difference between prices being marked up 5% and down 5% and the present one 5% up and 1%. Now the former 5% up and 5% down, was it dictated by market forces or is it not still the same regimented price movement? The changes and regulations are welcome. Many will sit here complaining, while others will take full advantage of this upturn to make their millions. Sit there and be complaining, as at today, some have recorded 5% already on the stocks they gather liver to buy two days ago. Interestingly even if the prices go down tomorrow they are losing only 1%. If you don't like this I wonder what on earth you are doing at NSE. Don't buy yet I will sell to you later at a much higher price by which time you would have gathered more confidence in the market. REMEMBER, it is MARKET, nothing more than that. And Nigerian Market at that!

Thankyou my brother , wouldn't have said it better.
Ma own na say if DSR fit do 5% tomorrow, then e go enter my Buy price on Friday.
I think i saw enough convincing activity today to be a believer. I did some buying last week, but i still lost for like two days same last week, but if this momentum continues tomorrow and friday, i would have erased my two day losses and start collecting profit from Monday.Meanwhile many will be rushing to buy,but i'm already in. Many POWER stocks were on full bid today, something that has not happened for like 4months now.
Me i don go collect my DECEMBER salary advance sef.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:44pm On Aug 27, 2008
Prince11:

@Fatherof2, I greet una o , long time, grin

E don happen, but e get K-leg !
Manipulating the market as we have it now will surely breed big loosers and big winners,
Make folks shine eye well well, by the time they remove the VP shock absorber, Yawah go gas, !

I no say you sabi market pass any of us to know better,

My prince, how nah. Longtime. How you take survive this hammertan when hit market since?.Hope say you rub vaseline for your portfolio.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by JeopardE(m): 9:19pm On Aug 27, 2008
Yep ,  typical thinking. 1% price floor, we are saved! Unleash the bulls!

It's simple economics, people. It's not that hard. Supply and demand.

It is the same everywhere in the world. Bear markets are marked by volatility. This is nothing more than a short term bounce. There is no volume behind it. Prices rallied not because demand increased, but because supply decreased. The government created an artificial supply squeeze by setting a floor on prices. You are looking at empty value. Smart investors will take advantage of the rally bounce and sell to clueless buyers who think the bulls are back.

All the regulators have done is prolong the inevitable. This market cannot truly recover until the bottom has been found. We are not anywhere near a bottom yet. The sooner we get to the bottom, the better for everyone,  before frustrated investors start putting out hits on their brokers. Hopefully that bottom will manifest itself when the ASI finally reaches 39,000. There are still enough good underlying fundamentals in the economy that the market can find the support it needs there, in my opinion. Price floors and ceilings are not going to solve the problem. Allowing share buybacks is a good thing, but what is more important is doing proper regulation like imposing proper limits on margin lending and opening up the secondary market. The market needs to be facilitated with proper ECNs and disposal of all these 19th century paper certificates. Then they need to create true opportunities for the market to expand by allowing the creation and trading of derivatives, options and futures.

That's how you make an emerging market grow. Price floors and ceilings are killing this market. But alas, our rulers are too stupid to fathom this.

[img]http://ws15.standardbank.co.za/gmr2/publishedGraphRetriever?id=CFFACC27-8770-466C-A295-62420FA63BF7&number=0[/img]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by reaZON(m): 4:23am On Aug 28, 2008
I think the regulation is a welcome development.
They are working in the interest of all investors. Its up to us to take advantage of the rules and make more money,
please: anybody got latest news about wema??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:22am On Aug 28, 2008
I was watching live on AIT as the market started its rally yesterday, God bless Daar communication.Its a daily program on AIt so don't miss it.When i was watching at about 11.00 about 108 stocks were already in the positive zone. Investors who had placed sell orders were cancelling. As for me this is the time to enter and be prepared to exit and re-enter again if need be, just chop and clean mouth.

@JeopardE
You said something about opening up the market, as per making it an OTC market? Well i'd really love to see NSE become such, at least the monopoly of these brokers would end.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 8:55am On Aug 28, 2008
@ All

I see no reason for all the hullabaloo
Much as I don't think our regulators are on top of their game,there's nothing wrong in the share buy-back,1% max dip and 5% max rise per day.
Price floors or caps or rounding are not new,infact I think Pakistan had theirs when the prices of equities on their exchange were having a free-fall.
Infact theirs then was 1% max dip and 10% max rise on a single trading day,so that of the NSE is actually less spectacular.

However,such moves are generally temorary in nature and I'm sure that of the NSE as presently obtains will not be an exception
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:18am On Aug 28, 2008
Money Show is the name of the program on Ait. Its showing now
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 10:52am On Aug 28, 2008
PEOPLE UNA DON SEE MARKET NOW NOW.

" E STILL DEY HAPPEN OH".

If you no buy last week, you don miss oh. Na so so Black black full market now,
all the women wen dey market don throway wrapper.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 12:47pm On Aug 28, 2008
@Fatherof2, how bodi, ?

, those last few months na dangerous bear hug, but I survived, few bruises here and there, (IEI, still remember, I just can't sell so I had to keep averaging down, but I am happy with them, ready to convert to long term if neccesary!!)

Me, I don enter since last week, I am just not very keen to buy now, na to sell remain.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by husu(m): 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2008
FatherOF2:

PEOPLE UNA DON SEE MARKET NOW NOW.

E STILL DEY HAPPEN OH".

If you no buy last week, you don miss oh. Na so so Black black full market now,
all the women when dey market don throway wrapper.

u mean buyers no fit buy now?.I no understand that black black.only know of green and reds.Abi to buy shares now na black market?.UP NSE!!!.I may start gaining in the next three days
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2008
husu:

u mean buyers no fit buy now?.I no understand that black black.only know of green and reds.Abi to buy shares now na black market?.UP NSE!!!.I may start gaining in the next three days

Ok na my black sunshade make me color blind. NA GREEN SHA.
See me dey wear sunshade inside house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 2:15pm On Aug 28, 2008
FatherOF2:

" E STILL DEY HAPPEN OH".

If you no buy last week, you don miss oh.

Hehehehehehehe
Fof2,I sense you are in high spirits now,that's good
Indeed anybody that bought substantially last week,can CICO by midweek next week.

Hmmmm,e come be say I no dey liquid enough by that last week,infact na na so,I dey scratch my head to see how I fit re-adjust my projects schedule to see if I fit appropriate other project funds to take CICO before NSE go change mind come stop the current price flooring

Abi Fof2,any show for ya side,remember say me and you na di same village we come from,infact we bin dey play koso together for village wink wink grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2008
rasputinn:

Hehehehehehehe
Fof2,I sense you are in high spirits now,that's good
Indeed anybody that bought substantially last week,can CICO by midweek next week.

Hmmmm,e come be say I no dey liquid enough by that last week,infact na na so,I dey scratch my head to see how I fit re-adjust my projects schedule to see if I fit appropriate other project funds to take CICO before NSE go change mind come stop the current price flooring

Abi Fof2,any show for ya side,remember say me and you na di same village we come from,infact we bin dey play koso together for village wink wink grin grin

No problem, i fit borrow you small, but below na my interest rates.

0-N50,000, 35%
N50,000 - N500,000, 45%
N500,000 - N1,000,000, 50.5%
N1,000,000- N10,000,000, 65.5%
Above N10m, My power no reach this side.

All rates are non-negotiable

Signed, The Bank
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by husu(m): 2:33pm On Aug 28, 2008
@rasputin, smiley smiley tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.