Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,986 members, 7,973,402 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:55 PM

Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? (16071 Views)

Yoruba music of Non-Nigerian origin. / Why Do Nigerians Look At White People As Advanced Humans / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chiogo(f): 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2009
^^LOL. I don't have a problem with that. I just hate the notion that all of Africa is that way, like their tone suggests.
But SOME white people are smart enough not to ask silly questions.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 07, 2009
chiogo:

^^LOL. I don't have a problem with that. I just hate the notion that all of Africa is that way, like their tone suggests.
But white people are smart enough not to ask silly questions.
Hahahaha you're so right cheesy

I guess it really isn't their fault in a sense.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by dayokanu(m): 6:47pm On Sep 07, 2009
We have the enlightened white folks and the airheads.

An airhead would ask you if Serbia is in Africa or Asia if someone thinks all Africans live in huts then its their own problem
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:57pm On Sep 07, 2009
You'd get the question more from akatas actually
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 7:23pm On Sep 07, 2009
chiogo:

LOL  undecided

Erm, most white people know that there are "tribes" in Nigeria. most AAs don't. Whites who do usually identify the main three.

It's a lie. A white person just like an 'AA' would ask you if you speak Nigerian. Plus some AA's, just like some white people know there are tribes in Africa.

chiogo:

I'm sure they coined the word "tribe" to describe ethnic groups in Africa in the first place so they definitely know that there are tribes.

A handful of European explorers coined the word tribe, not the entire white race. Not every white person is educated, after all wasn't it Sarah Palin that said Africa was a country?

chiogo:

"Tribe" is so 1700, I have this imagination of a 'hut' in my head when whites ask you what tribe you belong to. 

True, but 'tribe' is actually so 20th century, before then they used to call us countries, before they started drawing random squiggly lines on our map's and called them countries.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 7:24pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Lol they may be of "African decent", doesnt mean they like it. Ode. Oyibo still berra pass your monkey people. cheesy

You need divine intervention, dog meat.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chiogo(f): 9:18pm On Sep 07, 2009
ezeagu:

It's a lie. A white person just like an 'AA' would ask you if you speak Nigerian. Plus some AA's, just like some white people know there are tribes in Africa.
Ok, sure.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chic2pimp(m): 10:17pm On Sep 07, 2009
ezeagu:

Do you really beleive this crappily constructed story? How would a group of white people come up in a Nigerian wedding and listen and dance to the Yoruba music, but when the Igbo music comes up, they can't possibly bare it and leave. Does that really make sense to you? Even if Igbo music is that horrible, how would the guests be that rude as to run out of the wedding just because of the music. Again, please don't insult my brain.
grin grin grin grin grin. Chei laff wan kill me die ooooooo. Infact I laff so te I comot chair. Comedians dey NL sha.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by na2day2(m): 10:48pm On Sep 07, 2009
i guess it is one up 4 yorubas and down with all other tribes wey no sabi produce good music
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 08, 2009
Do you really beleive this crappily constructed story? How would a group of white people come up in a Nigerian wedding and listen and dance to the Yoruba music, but when the Igbo music comes up, they can't possibly bare it and leave. Does that really make sense to you? Even if Igbo music is that horrible, how would the guests be that rude as to run out of the wedding just because of the music. Again, please don't insult my brain.

haba- they didnt run out of the wedding.

if they werent familiar with Igbo music they probably just returned to their seats since they might not be sure how to dance to it.

thats all.

As mentioned before, Fela's music has something of a hippie beat, which cuts across genres and regions.

@ africhika:

Andre Uweh:

At Craven Cottage, during the half time of the match between Nigeria and REP. of Ireland, It was P Square music that was played in the giant loud speakers. Even the Irish fans danced and danced especially you go wound o!. Men I was there live.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:39am On Sep 08, 2009
Na your mama be dog meat. Shouldnt you be feasting on human meat anyway. Apayanje

The dude is just yarning rubbish. Paranoid slowpoke. Must suck to feel so inferior ooo  cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chic2pimp(m): 2:47am On Sep 08, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Na your mama be dog meat. Shouldnt you be feasting on human meat anyway. Apayunje

The dude is just yarning rubbish. Paranoid slowpoke. Must suck to feel so inferior ooo cheesy
grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:39pm On Sep 08, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Must suck to feel so inferior ooo  cheesy

Inferior to what?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:02pm On Sep 08, 2009
ask yourself else you wouldnt have replied this thread in the first place
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 6:23pm On Sep 08, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

ask yourself else you wouldnt have replied this thread in the first place

You do know that makes no sense? So the other people who replied including you, feel inferior to something then, no?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
Wow.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by dayokanu(m): 5:31am On Sep 09, 2009
Its obvious Yoruba music and Musician are more popular both within and outside the shores of Nigeria.

I heard 9ice was the only Nigerian artiste invited for some Nelson Mandela stuff and not Usher wanabee P Square

No one can match what Fela and Sunny Ade achieved in the Music scene
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:23am On Sep 09, 2009
You are looking for fights, dayo

I no dey there o. though one would think P-Square that supposedly fills satdiums all over Africa would have been the ones called for the Mandela event and not 9ce
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by dayokanu(m): 6:30am On Sep 09, 2009
Fight ke? Its just the obvious just like denying Igbos dominate Sports.

I also dont think your language affects your popularity that much. They most popular African musician are those Congolese and Senegalese that sing in their local Laguage
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Princek12(m): 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2009
the sound of the Yoruba tongue has international appeal. Simple.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by inme: 5:06pm On Oct 11, 2009
Yoruba and tribalism, na wa ooo

The reason why this country is were it is today is bkos of tribalism, we the youth should learn to do things right and leave tribalism out of our day to day lives. If i had had the idea of coming up with this kind of post, i would need to have a rethink bkos it sure going to turn to something else "tribal war" we should be mindful of what we post on here, everyone of us have his or her own interpretation to a post like this.

@poster i understand your point, but you are quite wrong. You went to a particular concert and i believe this concert you went to did not go round the world? a certain community seems to love yoruba songs bekos most of the expatriates that lives their are yorubas. There is Edo Community in Berlin, and most of the white people over there love to listen to benin songs. I might no be a yoruba, but i love any song that beautiful and good to the ear. I don't want to go into details.

thanks

Knowledge talks, wisdom listens.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 11, 2009
i guess it is one up 4 yorubas and down with all other tribes wey no sabi produce good music

yes oh.

I'm surprised there hasnt been a serious rebuttal and oneupmanship yet.

when I visited the far part of Greenland I was surprised to see the Lapps/Greenlanders or what do they call them, dancing fuji together with their reindeer. It was such a sweet moment and I felt really proud to be Yoruba. wink
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by udezue(m): 12:01am On Oct 12, 2009
KEREWAAAAAA

Benue music and I'm lovin it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VrFQqYJ5-Y

anyway shaa whether white ppl nyash to Yoruba music all night does not validate them. Good music is good music. I like Lagbaja, Fela's music --- I used to like Shina peters tho.

If you don't know about Oliver, Onyeka, etc then I don't know wat to tell ya coz they are popular
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 12, 2009
I also went to southern Bazakistan republic where only white people dey. Even the most hardened anti-foreigners among them were dancing to bata drum.

ah! I felt so proud to be Yoruba.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by patrick89(m): 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2010
Tpia your happy now but you're wrong.have u been to south,north,easth oh i think u have not.so @poster don't jump into conclusion.on a more serious note yoruba musician only reign in western part of the country esp(9ice) u can only hear his music in your area.and those claims are lie.and 9ice should nt be compared to psqaure at all.which level just he is not frm ur tribe abi.i wonder wen aldi7 tin wil stp in naija
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2010
who is this one, and why is your post title different from the tread title?

can someone say cowardly multiple id?

you dey carry baggage all over the forum?

idiot. angry
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2010
ThiefOfHearts:

Na your mama be dog meat.

shocked How did I miss this?

Don't ever bring someone who hasn't anything to do with your problems into an argument! If you were troubled I hope you have gone and seen a shrink.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:43pm On Jun 07, 2010
one year later?

Are you insane?

the rebuttal isnt even funny which makes matters worse.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 11:02pm On Jun 07, 2010
ThiefOfHearts:

one year later?

Are you insane?

the rebuttal isnt even funny which makes matters worse.

You got the message, it doesn't bother me if it was from 10 years ago.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by patrick89(m): 9:55am On Jun 09, 2010
I hope you're not refering to me tipa
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Obelomo: 10:10am On Jun 14, 2010
Well we have many Yoruba musicians than Igbo ones. Even within Nigeria many of these young musicians who are not even Yoruba, sing songs in our language.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AndreUweh(m): 7:59pm On Jun 14, 2010
Obelomo:

Well we have many Yoruba musicians than Igbo ones. Even within Nigeria many of these young musicians who are not even Yoruba, sing songs in our language.
Stop chatting crap. Have you resided in the east before or do you leave in the east?.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates Alafere, Oya & Ijugbe Festivals (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.