Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,254 members, 7,910,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 08:00 AM

Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? (15874 Views)

Yoruba music of Non-Nigerian origin. / Why Do Nigerians Look At White People As Advanced Humans / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 03, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

They sound like hipsters. they love to be "unique"

My roommate in college used to have me translate Fela lyrics for her.

anyway nothing wrong with it. Maybe if people would stop giving up their language in the name of trying to be more popular (ironically those who stick to their own language end up being the ones who are well known grin) such things wouldnt be happening.

Londoner, stop making this out into something that it isnt.

for all one knows, Fela's music is probably hippie music.

I dont understand this theory about Igbos giving up their language sha. To me, they seem more dedicated to their language than most other tribes especially Yorubas.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AndreUweh(m): 8:24pm On Sep 03, 2009
The Igbo-born musicians in Lagos, Kaduna or Jos are the ones who do not sing in Igbo. Their counterparts in the east sing in Igbo. Sunny BOBO, Saro Wiwa, obareze and other up coming artists all sing in Igbo.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2009
I'm of the opinion people should sing in whatever language they want to without facing condemnation but what do I know.

I dont hear anyone criticizing Christy Essien Igbokwe who sang in various languages.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AloyEmeka6: 8:29pm On Sep 03, 2009
I hope you know Chrsity essien is not igbo.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AndreUweh(m): 8:30pm On Sep 03, 2009
tpia.:

I'm of the opinion people should sing in whatever language they want to without facing condemnation but what do I know.

I dont hear anyone criticizing Christy Essien Igbokwe who sang in various languages.

I agree with you.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AloyEmeka6: 8:31pm On Sep 03, 2009
Andre Uweh:

The Igbo-born musicians in Lagos, Kaduna or Jos are the ones who do not sing in Igbo. Their counterparts in the east sing in Igbo. Sunny BOBO, Saro Wiwa, obareze and other up coming artists all sing in Igbo.
You dey mind that onu nkapi. I normally choose to ignore her senseless rants. Fela became legendary because people can relate with him due to the use of lingua franca. Lagbaja is towing the same line. At least you can understand the part of his classic message. lagbaja is more subtle and presents a pristine blue message more better than Fela who was raw and intensely political. May be Ozoemena nwa nsugbe or pericomo became popular using hausa or Yoruba language to sing. 99% of igbo music are in igbo[ not even in pidgin english]. If you sing gospel music in english and hope to sell to people in the east, good luck.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 03, 2009
^^ some people dont know the meaning of polite discussion.

The thread never scatter until somebody showed up to rain down insults.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 03, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I hope you know Chrsity essien is not igbo.

did I say she's Igbo?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by africhika(f): 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2009
  quote from ThiefofHearts:   Maybe if people would stop giving up their language in the name of trying to be more popular (ironically those who stick to their own language end up being the ones who are well known Grin) such things wouldnt be happening. Londoner, stop making this out into something that it isnt.  

interesting point. definitely something to think about.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by africhika(f): 9:48pm On Sep 03, 2009
    quote from Andre Uweh: 
« #30 on: Today at 07:51:31 PM »

@poster: Osadebe's OSONDI OWENDI is the highest selling album in Nigeria till this day. 

yes, i think i've heard this before.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by londoner: 10:00pm On Sep 03, 2009
I dont think some people actually realise just how popular some modern Nigerian groups actually are, the ones who use alot of english or pidgen with some of their own mother tongue.
I think when Nigerians conclude that you dont have appeal just  because your audience is not White is simply flawed.

Artists such and P square, sell out stadiums in Africa, but I guess it does not count since the audience is Black.

OP, I made the observation simply because you seemed only interested in the comparisms between Igbo and Yoruba, as if they are the only two tribes in Nigeria or the only one you were interested in making. As far as modern Nigerian/young music is concerned, you cant really say people prefer Yoruba artists, its just not true, even though there are many Yoruba artists doing well.

Maybe people like Fela and king Suny were more opportuned to be exposed to people outside Africa.

@tpia, even Quincy Jones has said that 50-80% of   hip hopmusic BOUGHT in the states is by young Whites. Black people may also listen doesn't mean they are also predominantly going out to BUY the music. Thats what the recod labels care about.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chic2pimp(m): 10:29pm On Sep 03, 2009
tpia.:

After you don check dancing ikebe tire you come dey wipe mouth with napkin.
grin grin grin grin grin grin[b] Hehehehe. LWKMD oooooo[/b]. I don laff tire. I even comot chair,roll on the floor and laff some more chei. Hip Hop Music is bought by white folks predominatly (70%-80%)
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AloyEmeka6: 10:57pm On Sep 03, 2009
londoner:

I dont think some people actually realise just how popular some modern Nigerian groups actually are, the ones who use alot of english or pidgen with some of their own mother tongue.
I think when Nigerians conclude that you dont have appeal just  because your audience is not White is simply flawed.

Artists such and P square, sell out stadiums in Africa, but I guess it does not count since the audience is Black.

OP, I made the observation simply because you seemed only interested in the comparisms between Igbo and Yoruba, as if they are the only two tribes in Nigeria or the only one you were interested in making. As far as modern Nigerian/young music is concerned, you cant really say people prefer Yoruba artists, its just not true, even though there are many Yoruba artists doing well.

Maybe people like Fela and king Suny were more opportuned to be exposed to people outside Africa.

@tpia, even Quincy Jones has said that 50-80% of    hip hopmusic BOUGHT in the states is by young Whites. Black people may also listen doesn't mean they are also predominantly going out to BUY the music. Thats what the recod labels care about.

P square and co do not make cultural music. Because they are igbo doesn't make their music igbo. Same applies to Fela and Lagbaja. You people will not cease to amaze me. We can also conclude that Kanu and Okocha played igbo football and not football. Taye Taiwo and Mutiu Adepoju also played Yoruba football and not football.

Again, stop comparing P square with Sunny ade. They do not belong in the same class at all at least for now. Until these new musicians stand a test of time, then I will agree they are serious. D'banj looks like he will hang in there for a while more than others. He is truly talented.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:04am On Sep 04, 2009
tpia.:

for all one knows, Fela's music is probably hippie music.

I dont understand this theory about Igbos giving up their language sha. To me, they seem more dedicated to their language than most other tribes especially Yorubas.

Not in music or even the movie industry, tpia. Maybe the older ones, not the newer ones.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:06am On Sep 04, 2009
Dbanj and 9ce beat out P-Square in terms of popularity and money making, londoner.

No be the same Dbanj singing Igwe, how many Igbo songs has P-Square sang/ they can barely speak their own language sef which I find depressing. Then again i have a problem with people who cant speak their native tongues.

and since when does international appeal immediately mean "white people"
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 12:15am On Sep 04, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Not in music or even the movie industry, tpia. Maybe the older ones, not the newer ones.

Because some dont realise how beautiful their music is.
I know the words of this song and its other sequence by heart kiss kiss

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFD-sQOy7Ng&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 12:17am On Sep 04, 2009
You people think Africhika is keeping it real?  grin

africhika:

german girl posted this song on her blog and i can't stop listening to it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8YkkGqC88

Show us the blog, you fake.  grin

Who are you? You must be another current nairaland user.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 12:25am On Sep 04, 2009
Lovely music
I love the rhythm

[flash=400,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d51rysToqdI&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by asha80(m): 12:37am On Sep 04, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Dbanj and 9ce beat out P-Square in terms of popularity and money making, londoner.

No be the same Dbanj singing Igwe, how many Igbo songs has P-Square sang/ they can barely speak their own language sef which I find depressing. Then again i have a problem with people who cant speak their native tongues.

and since when does international appeal immediately mean "white people"

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin.Chai people sabi lie.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 12:46am On Sep 04, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

No be the same Dbanj singing Igwe, how many Igbo songs has P-Square sang/ they can barely speak their own language sef which I find depressing.

Ifunaya kwanu?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AloyEmeka6: 1:12am On Sep 04, 2009
asha 80:

grin  cheesy  grin cheesy  grin  cheesy  grin  cheesy  grin  cheesy  grin.Chai people sabi lie.
You have time to argue with a web smut. If D'banj's mother is igbo, why won't he be able to speak igbo?. D'banj is Yoruba because Nigeria is a patriarchal society, isn't that so?.

I do not care what people really believe because a lot here do enjoy their delusion but what ticks me is trying so hard to make another believe such lies.

Anybody can make music with a language totally foreign to him/her.  Gloria Estefan was a big star in the latin world and transcended to mega status when she connived with Jon Secada to make songs in english language that she later learnt. Celine Dion started creating songs in english when she needed to launch her career to the world and that helped her achieve her legendary status[she later learnt english]. Same with Julio Iglesias. There are thousands of igbo gospel stars who make tracks in Yoruba and hausa even though they can't understand the language.  Midnight crew sings in igbo and Yoruba and I think its a Yoruba group. Timaya sings in igbo yet he is ijaw. Why should D'banj's own be different especially when he is half igbo?.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 2:26am On Sep 04, 2009
chic2pimp:

Hip Hop Music is bought by white folks predominatly (70%-80%)

londoner:

@tpia, even Quincy Jones has said that 50-80% of   hip hopmusic BOUGHT in the states is by young Whites. Black people may also listen doesn't mean they are also predominantly going out to BUY the music. Thats what the recod labels care about.

do your own survey- go among whites (not whiggas or the ones trying to be gangsta), and check their music libraries. Then do similar research on blacks.

Afterwards, come back and report your findings.

The whites I mean are the ones who have limited contact with blacks, hispanics or non-whites.

Black and Hispanic people are the ones who are majorly into hiphop which is a heavily gang related music genre.

Some whites may also be in it since they noticed its a money maker.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:29am On Sep 04, 2009
ezeagu:

Ifunaya kwanu?

1 song(I purposely asked hopw many songs as that is the ONLY song people can ever use as an example, sad) and even as a non Igbo I know it didnt sound right.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 2:31am On Sep 04, 2009
lol at the "whiggers" term. That's a new one. Neo-reverse-racism?? Rotf grin.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:31am On Sep 04, 2009
Isnt it funny that the same Funmi who goes around whining about people not being able to have a "decent discussion" is the one getting personal and yarning dust. Ode cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:32am On Sep 04, 2009
Tpia, white youth dominate the hiphop scene. They're the ones buying it now. In the states anyway

lol @ Dbanj being half igbo

D’banj was born in 1980 as Dapo Daniel Oyebanjo in the Northern city of Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria, to Colonel Daniel Duro Oyebanjo, an artillery officer, and Faith Olubukolola Oyebanjo, a business woman and church dignitary, both from Ogun State. D’banj has a brother (Kehinde) and three sisters (Shola, Yinka and Taiwo).

Yea Bukola. Very popular name in the East. Omugo cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 2:32am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

lol at the "whiggers" term. That's a new one. Neo-reverse-racism?? Rotf grin.

you never heard of wiggers?

which one be reverse racism?

wigger

A male caucasion, usually born and raised in the suburbs that displays a strong desire to emulate African American Hip Hop culture and style through "Bling" fashion and generally accepted "thug life" guiding principles.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wigger

Its the white version of the sanitized nigga, imo. I dont use the term derogatorily- I'm simply trying to describe a certain group of people.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 2:33am On Sep 04, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Tpia, white youth dominate the hiphop scene. They're the ones buying it now.

Some white youths dont make a secret of the fact that they dislike hiphop.

It depends on the location.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080604003354AAkodUI

Of course whites run the music industry just like everything else, but whites arent all the same.

ThiefOfHearts:

the ones on nairaland like speaking their language though. Likewise many others.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 2:39am On Sep 04, 2009
Heyyy, chill out @ tpia, no need to be on the warpath. I truly have never heard the term, don't mix with anyone who would use it undecided. I just thought it sounded catchy - but somehow "racist". Stuff like "white men can't jump" and "can't rap" are just the Afro's way of turning the tables against whites. Blacks can be intolerant when they want to, and usually sneer at "whiteguys" trying to break into their music genres (rap, hiphop, R&B).

Sorry, but since I'm new to the term would someone like Vanilla Ice have been considered a "whigger"?? Or maybe Eminem? Please, humour me, I only seek to learn grin cheesy.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 2:43am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

Heyyy, chill out @ tpia, no need to be on the warpath. I truly have never heard the term, don't mix with anyone who would use it undecided. I just thought it sounded catchy - but somehow "racist". Stuff like "white men can't jump" and "can't rap" are just the Afro's way of turning the tables against whites. Blacks can be intolerant when they want to, and usually sneer at "whiteguys" trying to break into their music genres (rap, hiphop, R&B).

Sorry, but since I'm new to the term would someone like Vanilla Ice have been considered a "whigger"?? Or maybe Eminem? Please, humour me, I only seek to learn grin cheesy.

check out the link in my other post.

And watch RV- it has a scene about this, when Robin Williams thinks he's connecting with some white youths by speaking ebonics.

Are you white? Your profile shows a black woman.

I'm surprised you say you've never heard the term before.  You seem very aggressive about it, btw. But I dont see you on the warpath over the N  or B word usage in rap and hiphop. Typical Naija misplaced priorities. Let me guess- you're dating or hoping to date a white guy.

One example from the same link:

Wigger: "Yo kid, you best be watchin' ya step!"

Typical Suburban White Girl: "Didn't you get that Do-rag at Hot topic?"

Wigger: "Yeah, well,  you know how we do!"
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by davidif: 2:52am On Sep 04, 2009
not true, unless you mean whites who live in black areas or who are dating black people.

Blacks are the biggest fans of hiphop.

Watch the movie RV if you dont understand what I mean.

tpia
Don't you live in New Zealand?? What the heck do you know about the US? Statistics show that 75% of people who buy rap albums are WHITE. Have you ever been to a rap concert before?? i don't think so because if you did you would see waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more white people than black people. The problem is that you guys watch too much TV or movies (RV) so you think you know everything about a country that you  have never been before.

By the way, blacks are ONLY 13% of the population in the US. and if rap was only bought by blacks it would definitely not be mega-selling genre today.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 2:57am On Sep 04, 2009
@ tpia

Whoooa, defensive! In which way did I sound aggressive? I'm just trying to observe and imbibe! I'm fully Nigerian, do I have to be conversant with all the Americana lingo? Watch all the American movies? Poster please. Try not to be too prickly about innocuous replies.

As an aside, I think Nigerians should stop this thing about "native tongues" - what with Igbos living in the West, North, South, Hausas living in the South, West, East, Yorubas living in. . . well, Lagos grin - it's high time we raise our kids to learn all the major languages. Considering that most of them would not be based in their own home towns all their life, they shouldn't restrict themselves to speaking their "native" lingua. Me sef, I wish I could sing in Igbo and rap in Hausa. Hey, Kush did it in "Let's Live Together" - and it was cool. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba / Ukwuani People, This Is For You / This Woman Explains Why She Hates Being Black!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.