Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,987 members, 7,973,404 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 04:00 PM

Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? (16072 Views)

Yoruba music of Non-Nigerian origin. / Why Do Nigerians Look At White People As Advanced Humans / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chic2pimp(m): 2:43am On Sep 05, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

[size=12pt].

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/sep/4/314.html.

Their last album, “Game Over”, was sold to Tjoe Enterprise, a major Alaba marketer, for nationwide distribution for an alleged sum of N10m. It is of no doubt that the value of the boys has since appreciated between late 2007 when they released “Game Over” having headlined gigs and major concerts within and outside the country, increasing fan bases all across Africa and gradually becoming Africa’s Michael Jackson since their performances now cause girls to faint in admiration of their skill and looks.

Yea rite undecided undecided undecided.Na who dash monkey banana. Abeg make una go siddon jare.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Abagworo(m): 3:08am On Sep 05, 2009
Quote from: dayokanu on Yesterday at 08:11:26 AM
Ok e don do.

Oya go on break.

I think music thats appreciated are those that bring out the beauties of your culture. I like Nigga Raw and That Akanchawa woman though I dont understand a word of their music.

People of other cultures would be curious about the song that brings out your individuality. How odd would it sound to see a Chinese rapper.

Nigga raw does not do igbo music.What he does is urban stlye music with igbo lyrics.

People find it difficult to differenciate ethnic music and ethnic musicians.I will not be suprised if someone says Dagrin does yoruba music.

i agree with asha80.imao sunny ade and fela kuti are the greatest true musicians out of naija.there are other original artists that were popular in nigeria but not internationally.victor uwaifo,ebenezer obe,osita osadebe,rex jim lawson,oliver de coque,oriental brothers etc.

p square,2face and d'banj  are just pop but i appreciate 2face's african queen  as the biggest modern day classic out of naija.it is the only song that will be heard in 40 years time out of these our 3 major artistes.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by asha80(m): 7:28am On Sep 05, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

P Square arent more popular than Dbanj. Sorry

In your dreams.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by londoner: 10:01am On Sep 05, 2009
@aloy emeka, my point was exactly that, P square are more popular, I never said their music will be around for years to come. Neither will the likes of Dbanj or 9ice who is already on the decline after just one hit.

Its funny to see people moving the goal posts, when their claims of unpopularity fall flat on its face with hard video evidence, lol

@ thief of hearts, please provide evidence of your claim of popularity, lol

If it exists it will be on youtube or elsewhere. The fact is Dbanj can not fill the stadiums which p square are doing on a regular basis, not even on Nigerian soil.

Please post the evidence to prove that wrong.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:05pm On Sep 05, 2009
Tuface maybe. P Square, not really'

Sorry.

I like how mr dingbat asho80 has nothing to contribute than delusional pride
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Tuface maybe. P Square, not really

Actually, more people who are not Nigerian would recognise P-Square before D Banj, trust me, if this was not true I wouldn't say it, it's not like their paying me.

I think it has to do with the fact that they sing in English more than DBanj and such, or maybe its just the dancing and performing.

If you don't believe me look up the performer's video view count's on youtube.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2009
ezeagu:

I think it has to do with the fact that they sing in English more than DBanj and such,

That contradicts the point of this thread.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

That contradicts the point of this thread.

I don't get it. The thread is about 'white people' only knowing Yoruba music.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2009
You say P-Square is probably more popular due to speaking English more in their music (that didnt stop 9ce from being nominated to sing for Mandela's concert but I digress) yet the OP states that people outside seem to know Yoruba artist like Sunny Ade, Fela, people who speak more of their language in their songs than English.

If indeed they are very popular (it wasnt that big a deal when they came to the states compared to Dbanj, Tuface, 9ce or even Yinka Ayefele), it's most likely cos they perform live more?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by londoner: 5:04pm On Sep 05, 2009
@ thief of hearts, are you going to substantiate your claim or is it simply a personal opinion ?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2009
Tribal rumblings and ramblings as usual.
Keep it up!
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by asha80(m): 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

You say P-Square is probably more popular due to speaking English more in their music (that didnt stop 9ce from being nominated to sing for Mandela's concert but I digress) yet the OP states that people outside seem to know Yoruba artist like Sunny Ade, Fela, people who speak more of their language in their songs than English.

If indeed they are very popular (it wasnt that big a deal when they came to the states compared to Dbanj, Tuface, 9ce or even Yinka Ayefele), it's most likely cos they perform live more?

Poster said yoruba music and not yoruba artist.Fela never really did yoruba music.

Dbanj and even 9ice do not do yoruba music per say especially Dbanj.I will not be suprised if some one says Dagrin does yoruba music.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2009
Not with you, Im not.  smiley

Thanks for the permission, Omo Ibo.  cool
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2009
I call Fela a Yoruba Artist cos he was of Yoruba origin.

Get over it.

As for 9ce, 85% of his album was spoken in Yoruba. A good amount of Dbanj's songs are in Yoruba as well. Yes they are just pop stars compared to Sunny Ade and such but they're still of Yoruba origin.

and you're being repetitive with your Dargin comment, no one replied cos no one cares.

1 Like

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by asha80(m): 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2009
i went to a wonderful femi kuti/ sunny ade concert a couple weeks back. of course it was packed with white people. i talked with many of them and asked if they know osadebe, rex lawson, sonny okosun. they didn't know. but they asked me about lagbaja and babatunde.

this always seems to be the case. i remember seeing some white people at a 9ja wedding. bride was yoruba and groom was igbo. when DJ played sunny ade and fela, oh the white people were dancing, or trying to.

but they left when osadebe and oriental brothers was played. even with contemporary nigerian hip hop/ r&b. why is this?

Did you see where the poster wrote this?What makes tou think Dbanj,Psquare and 9ice are not among.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by asha80(m): 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Get over it.

As for 9ce, 85% of his album was spoken in Yoruba. A good amount of Dbanj's songs are in Yoruba as well. Yes they are just pop stars compared to Sunny Ade and such but they're still of Yoruba origin.

and you're being repetitive with your Dargin comment, no one replied cos no one cares.

Poster said yoruba music thick head tongue
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2009
People just dey wan claim fela like they wan claim Lagos. grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by asha80(m): 5:22pm On Sep 05, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Get over it.

Yes even sasha,dare art alade do yoruba music because they are of yoruba origin afoanu grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:45pm On Sep 05, 2009
sasha is garbage

and you need to stop whining. asinwin.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chiogo(f): 9:32pm On Sep 05, 2009
It's funny that anyone will be claiming Fela. Sure, some people consider him a legend, like is typical of dead artistes e.g Tupac and co. And they are legends.
But I've personally not been into his music, don't even know any titles - but then I'm not too much into old school artistes, even if they're Igbo. Or the way he led his life with the whole HIV thing.

D'banj may be popular in London or wherever as there are more Yoruba folks there. Over here in the U.S. at naija parties, all I hear is P-square. And then old school African artistes.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2009
My comment still stands. YOU alone not claiming him doesnt negate that.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AndreUweh(m): 11:08pm On Sep 05, 2009
At Craven Cottage, during the half time of the friendly match between Nigeria and Rep. of Ireland last May, It was P Square's music that was played in the giant loud speakers.  Even the Irish fans danced and danced especially you go wound o (do me)!. Men! I was there live.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 11:29pm On Sep 05, 2009
chiogo:

D'banj may be popular in London or wherever as there are more Yorubas here. Over here at naija parties, all I hear is P-square. And then old school African artistes.

Like duh, tell these person's.

ThiefOfHearts:

Are you saying white people where getting happy over Dbanj, echetera ma echetraghim, coming to the USA? Take note that I was not replying to the topic but the post in which you said DBanj is more popular than P-Square, which is false.

As for Yoruba music being the most popular music, anyhow I don't hear white people bumping Igbo, Yoruba, Tiv or Efik music, so let's not delude our selves. The only African-language music white people listen to (or use commercially in films or advertisement's, etc) are East African 'wailing music' (like the ones in the films) or Ladysmith Black Mambazo or obviously North African music. The highest music they will hear from West Africa is Senegalese (Wolof, etc) music.

This Africhika is a Yoruba person who is trying to use an Igbo disguise to carry out ethnocentric attack's on Igbo people, she is probably another current nairaland user trying to big up her ethnicity this way which is quite sad.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:47pm On Sep 05, 2009
Paranoia

What makes you so sure that africhik is Yoruba?

Notice how none of you could even answer her question. Instead you rather cry about tribalism. So pathetic.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 1:48am On Sep 06, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Paranoia

That's what you made yourself to believe, do not believe everything you think.

ThiefOfHearts:

What makes you so sure that africhik is Yoruba?

Africhika is Yoruba, it's not rocket science. If Africhika is not Yoruba then she should enter the Igbo speaking thread and speak Igbo, then I will know she's who she says she is. What new nairaland user instantly knows and posts threads up so fast? When I asked her about the blog she says a German girl posted music on, she never replied, please don't insult my brain. grin

ThiefOfHearts:

Notice how none of you could even answer her question.

What was his/her question? Did I not already answer it?

As for Yoruba music being the most popular music, anyhow I don't hear white people bumping Igbo, Yoruba, Tiv or Efik music, so let's not delude our selves.

ThiefOfHearts:

Instead you rather cry about tribalism. So pathetic.

If it was in your favour, it wouldn't be pathetic. grin I never said anything about "tribalism" just that Africhika is not Igbo. If she is she knows what to do.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:28am On Sep 06, 2009
ezeagu:

Africhika is Yoruba, it's not rocket science. If Africhika is not Yoruba then she should enter the Igbo speaking thread and speak Igbo, then I will know she's who she says she is. do.

Is this a joke? Nigeria compromises of just two tribes?

Dude, this is just sad.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 2:31pm On Sep 06, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Is this a joke? Nigeria compromises of just two tribes?

Dude, this is just sad.

Ha, whatever mehn, it's not a big deal.  wink cya.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AloyEmeka6: 4:05pm On Sep 06, 2009
ezeagu:

Africhika is Yoruba, it's not rocket science. If Africhika is not Yoruba then she should enter the Igbo speaking thread and speak Igbo, then I will know she's who she says she is. What new nairaland user instantly knows and posts threads up so fast? When I asked her about the blog she says a German girl posted music on, she never replied, please don't insult my brain.  grin

Nobody knows what she is but it's obvious from page one that her thread has an agenda and its only a fool who will not smell the rat. She/he later came back to claim she has no tribalist agenda but if you reread her question, you will see that "we are better than you" clearly spelt out.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Afam4eva(m): 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2009
i think the reason why some people will think yoruba music is more popular is because of the fact that they have more media presense. who told igbo artist don't do shows outside nigeria.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:37pm On Sep 06, 2009
Did anyone say that they dont?

and it's "presence"
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 06, 2009
the apple of my eyes
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 2:52am On Sep 07, 2009
Africhika has said she's Igbo, from Anambra state.

Dont see any reason to disbelieve her so far.

I doubt a Yoruba person would open this kind of thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates Alafere, Oya & Ijugbe Festivals (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.