Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,986 members, 7,973,399 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:53 PM

Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? (16070 Views)

Yoruba music of Non-Nigerian origin. / Why Do Nigerians Look At White People As Advanced Humans / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by dayokanu(m): 3:51am On Sep 07, 2009
Poster said yoruba music and not yoruba artist.Fela never really did yoruba music.

Shakara Oloje, Omi (water) are some of Felas tracks in Yoruba I am hardly a Fela fan some of his fans would tell you more.

Fela also used Yoruba in his Songs as lot (O fe she lu, Ayakata- Beast of No nation)

About King Sunny Ade He is undoubtedly the next mos popular Nigerian musician of all time and he sang mainly in Yoruba

He soon employed an American manager, Andrew Frankel, negotiated another three album record deal with the Mesa record label (a Division of Paradise Group) in America. One of these albums was 1998's Odu, a collection of traditional Yoruba songs, with which he was nominated for the second Grammy Award and thus making him the first African to be nominated twice for a Grammy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Sunny_Ad%C3%A9#Twice_Grammy_Awards_Nominee

You might want to tell me any other Nigerian musician with this kind of reputation or would we say the Grammy organisers are Yorubas too

1 Like

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:28am On Sep 07, 2009
I'll be waiting for answers
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Abagworo(m): 1:03pm On Sep 07, 2009
dayokanu:

Shakara Oloje, Omi (water) are some of Felas tracks in Yoruba I am hardly a Fela fan some of his fans would tell you more.

Fela also used Yoruba in his Songs as lot (O fe she lu, Ayakata- Beast of No nation)

About King Sunny Ade He is undoubtedly the next mos popular Nigerian musician of all time and he sang mainly in Yoruba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Sunny_Ad%C3%A9#Twice_Grammy_Awards_Nominee

You might want to tell me any other Nigerian musician with this kind of reputation or would we say the Grammy organisers are Yorubas too

There is obviously no doubt that king Sunny Ade and fela remain the best ever.i give props to lagbaja osadebe,oliver de coque,rex jim lawson and dan maria jos.

ok d'banj,2face,p square,timaya.hahahahahaha lmfao!

well,i give the award of modern day classic to 2face's 'african queen' and nothing more just pop pop pop pop pop.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by AndreUweh(m): 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2009
Is Tuface really the inventor and composer of 'my African Queen?.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by merge(f): 2:40pm On Sep 07, 2009
Fela kuti sang in English that one of reason why he is popular
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by merge(f): 2:45pm On Sep 07, 2009
Clap for Yoruba.

The white men listen to your music. I meant [b]ONLY [/b]what a big accomplishment

How pathetic is that? Inferiority Complex has been exposed o lol
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2009
tpia.:

Africhika has said she's Igbo, from Anambra state.

Dont see any reason to disbelieve her so far.

I doubt a Yoruba person would open this kind of thread.

So Rex Lawson is Igbo?

tpia, what is the only ethnic group of which a member would say a Kalabari person was Igbo? grin (P.S Kalabari is like 'Greek' to us.) My conclusion doesn't even come around from this thread alone, but from other comment's he/she has made on other thread's. I might be wrong about her ethnicity, but there is no way she is Igbo.

merge:

Clap for Yoruba.

The white men listen to your music. I meant [b]ONLY [/b]what a big accomplishment

grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2009
merge:

Clap for Yoruba.

Inferior Complex is when you cant even answer a simple question (OP's) without feeling inferior.

Work on your self esteem then maybe you wont believe every question is about being better than you. So pathetic

Funny how they seem to forget how "proud" they feel whenever they bring up that Jamos watch their movies. LOL lousy hypocrites. Oyibo >>>>> Jamo cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:13pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Inferior Complex is when you cant even answer a simple question (OP's) without feeling inferior.

Work on your self esteem then maybe you wont believe every question is about being better than you. So pathetic

Being pathetic is when you cannot question and educate your own people because of foolish pride. Who cares if Yoruba music is listened to by white people, do there care if you listen to Scottish Highland music? What is the point of this thread? To show how the posters ethnicity is preferred by the superior white people, which in turn makes them superior to Igbo people, now that's pathetic.

ThiefOfHearts:

Funny how they seem to forget how "proud" they feel whenever they bring up that Jamos watch their movies. LOL lousy hypocrites. Oyibo >>>>> Jamo cheesy

Who are "they"?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by bgees(m): 3:21pm On Sep 07, 2009
As soon as EZEAGU came on this thread, I knew we were in for another tribalist battle.

1 Like

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:22pm On Sep 07, 2009
bgees:

As soon as EZEAGU came on this thread, I knew we were in for another tribalist battle.

Of course it is me that would be tribal because your subconscious is telling you that I am attacking your ethnic group so you should come for me. I guess you conveniently missed other people's "tribalist" post's before mine.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 07, 2009
Even if this is true, I don't think these so called white people that listen to the music purposely scan through the naija tracks they come across and only pay attention to it if it is in 'yoruba' or 'igbo', I assume that they don't even know that nigeria has tribes let alone know about the individual tribes within nigeria, the difference between each tribe or even care for that matter, good music is good music regardless of whether it is from igboland, yoruba land etc  sad
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:28pm On Sep 07, 2009
bgees:

Dude's pathetic.

ezeagu:

Being pathetic is when you cannot question and educate your own people because of foolish pride. Who cares if Yoruba music is listened to by white people, do there care if you listen to Scottish Highland music? What is the point of this thread? To show how the posters ethnicity is preferred by the superior white people, which in turn makes them superior to Igbo people, now that's pathetic.

You are sick. Why did you bother replying then? If not your inferior complex tugging at your soul? Simple question "why do you think Yoruba music is popular among whites", how the hell does that mean that its better than Igbo music or whatever? You just yarn dust looking for a reason to fight. Where the hell are you when Igbos go around saying their movies are the better cos Carribean people watch it? Where are you? Now you are here crying. This thread isnt about pride, it's curiousity. Then again I wouldnt expect egomaniacs to understand that.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by jaybee3(m): 3:29pm On Sep 07, 2009
TOH
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

"why do you think Yoruba music is popular among whites", how the hell does that mean that its better than Igbo music or whatever?.
exactly.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2009
ibkaye:

Even if this is true, I don't think these so called white people that listen to the music purposely scan through the naija tracks they come across and only pay attention to it if it is in 'yoruba' or 'igbo', I assume that they don't even know that nigeria has tribes let alone know about the individual tribes within nigeria, the difference between each tribe or even care for that matter, good music is good music regardless of whether it is from igboland, yoruba land etc  sad

Simple answer. I remember being quite shocked when my first roommate in colege brought out a Fela CD, but like I said hipsters(mordern day polished hippies) try to be unique so they branch out looking for music that most people "dont know" or they like to believe people dont know. There's also the fact that Yorubas like their own parties loud and branched out, they could have easily been invited to a few, heard some songs they like and it continued from there. Yourba classes are taught at some colleges and some of these artists atre mentioned, they could have learned about them there. There are various reasons. But paranoid people with no self esteem can never understand that.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:43pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

You are sick. Why did you bother replying then? If not your inferior complex tugging at your soul? Simple question "why do you think Yoruba music is popular among whites", how the hell does that mean that its better than Igbo music or whatever? You just yarn dust looking for a reason to fight.

Oh don't tell me that crap about "how those it mean it's better", because you know how Nigerian's are.

this always seems to be the case. i remember seeing some white people at a 9ja wedding. bride was yoruba and groom was igbo. when DJ played sunny ade and fela, oh the white people were dancing, or trying to.  

[b]but they left when osadebe and oriental brothers was played. [/b]even with contemporary nigerian hip hop/ r&b. why is this?

Do you really beleive this crappily constructed story? How would a group of white people come up in a Nigerian wedding and listen and dance to the Yoruba music, but when the Igbo music comes up, they can't possibly bare it and leave. Does that really make sense to you? Even if Igbo music is that horrible, how would the guests be that rude as to run out of the wedding just because of the music. Again, please don't insult my brain.

The poster was saying that the white people, who are the ones that validate everything, liked Yoruba music better than Igbo music. Like someone said before, do they even know what an Igbo or a Yoruba is.

ThiefOfHearts:

Where the hell are you when Igbos go around saying their movies are the better cos Carribean people watch it? Where are you? Now you are here crying. This thread isnt about pride, it's curiousity. Then again I wouldnt expect egomaniacs to understand that.

Well I wasn't on that thread being one of the Igbo people pushing that point so I don't know what your point is, it's not like you were on this thread talking sense, you were probably floating in pride that your ethnicity has been validated by master white people.

Plus if you look at my original post, for those of you who are slow here it is:

ezeagu:

Actually, more people who are not Nigerian would recognise P-Square before D Banj, trust me, if this was not true I wouldn't say it, it's not like their paying me.

I think it has to do with the fact that they sing in English more than DBanj and such, or maybe its just the dancing and performing.

If you don't believe me look up the performer's video view count's on youtube.

. . . . . I wasn't even replying to the original thread to start of with, but as usual someone had to jump on my back and get me buzzing. I was planning on just a drive by on this thread.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Simple answer. I remember being quite shocked when my first roommate in colege brought out a Fela CD, but like I said hipsters(mordern day polished hippies) try to be unique so they branch out looking for music that most people "dont know" or they like to believe people dont know. There's also the fact that Yorubas like their own parties loud and branched out, they could have easily been invited to a few, heard some songs they like and it continued from there. Yourba classes are taught at some colleges and some of these artists atre mentioned, they could have learned about them there. There are various reasons. But paranoid people with no self esteem can never understand that.
Gbam, like I said, good music is good music regardless of tribes, country etc

Just because some non african people may know a certain african country's/tribe's music more than another does not neccesarily mean it's 'better' or generally 'preferred' more or the other country's/tribe music is crap or what have you
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

You can then please show me how many white (or non African, or even Nigerian) people can differentiate between a Yoruba and an Igbo, or even know what it is.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:47pm On Sep 07, 2009
Why should anyone have to prove anything to you to make you feel better?

Apparently YOU are known around here for how you turn topics around. Mr "you know how Nigerians are". No we know how YOU are.

Go siddon jare. Quit making noise like a market woman
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Why should anyone have to prove anything to you to make you feel better?

Apparently YOU are known around here for how you turn topics around. Mr "you know how Nigerians are". No we know how YOU are.

Go siddon jare. Quit making noise like a market woman

Is that what someone says when they have no reply? Go and show me where I have turned a topic around, and stop being a follow follow, stop relying on hearsay and stop being typical. Lawd, some people are so gullible.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2009
Your BS isnt new dude. "Follow Follow" isnt my thing so I suggest you get over yourself.

Dont even know why you felt the need to bring up P-Square anyway

and didnt she say that they sat down when comntempary nigerian hip-hop/r&b artist started singing as wel. Are they all Igbo too?

Paranoid tick.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 3:54pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Your BS isnt new dude. "Follow Follow" isnt my thing so I suggest you get over yourself.

Dont even know why you felt the need to bring up P-Square anyway

and didnt she say that they sat down when comntempary nigerian hip-hop/r&b artist started singing as wel. Are they all Igbo too?

Paranoid tick.

I have realised that your are fool because the only way you can get your point across is through insult. Was it not you that wrote:

ThiefOfHearts:

Funny how they seem to forget how "proud" they feel whenever they bring up that Jamos watch their movies. LOL lousy hypocrites. Oyibo >>>>> Jamo  cheesy

Mon-keeey.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:58pm On Sep 07, 2009
Na your iya be fool. cheesy I just think its funny that you are crying about white people listening to Yoruba music yet have no problem boasting about Carribs wathcing your movies. slowpoke.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ezeagu(m): 4:02pm On Sep 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Na your iya be fool. cheesy I just think its funny that you are crying about white people listening to Yoruba music yet have no problem boasting about Carribs wathcing your movies. slowpoke.

Uh, even if I was bragging about Caribbeans, at least their of African descent.

P.S You have not shown me where I have "turned a thread around", and you still haven't told me who "they" are either.

Seriously, some people should just stop trying to be smart. grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by tubabie(f): 4:12pm On Sep 07, 2009
@ Toh

You and this your mouth, I just stumbled on the nonsense you wrote with my name in the early pages, infact won need lati begi fun e nitooto.
onisokuso. tongue
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:19pm On Sep 07, 2009
Lol they may be of "African decent", doesnt mean they like it. Ode. Oyibo still berra pass your monkey people. cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:19pm On Sep 07, 2009
tubabie:

@ Toh

You and this your mouth, I just stumbled on the nonsense you wrote with my name in the early pages, infact won need lati begi fun e nitooto.
onisokuso. tongue

Lmao I dont know what you are talking about. Mad woman. grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chiogo(f): 4:36pm On Sep 07, 2009
LOL undecided

Erm, most white people know that there are "tribes" in Nigeria. most AAs don't. Whites who do usually identify the main three.
I'm sure they coined the word "tribe" to describe ethnic groups in Africa in the first place so they definitely know that there are tribes.
"Tribe" is so 1700, I have this imagination of a 'hut' in my head when whites ask you what tribe you belong to.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:39pm On Sep 07, 2009
whats wrong with huts
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chiogo(f): 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2009
It's backward.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 07, 2009
Lol dancing and chanting around a fire with sticks cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates Alafere, Oya & Ijugbe Festivals (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.