Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,985 members, 7,973,392 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:45 PM

Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? (16068 Views)

Yoruba music of Non-Nigerian origin. / Why Do Nigerians Look At White People As Advanced Humans / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by oyinda3(f): 2:59am On Sep 04, 2009
because most ppl who come to nigeria (whether white or west african even) prolly stay in lagos which is mostly yoruba influenced. and so they learn more about yoruba culture than the others and spread it to their friends etc
these artists themselves probably promote themselves more too. i've never heard of a igbo artist concert abroad but many yoruba artists have tours abroad like KSA for example and even the gospel ones like yinka ayefele
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:00am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

@ tpia

Whoooa, defensive! In which way did I sound aggressive? I'm just trying to observe and imbibe! I'm fully Nigerian, do I have to be conversant with all the Americana lingo? Watch all the American movies? Poster please. Try not to be too prickly about innocuous replies.

As an aside, I think Nigerians should stop this thing about "native tongues" - what with Igbos living in the West, North, South, Hausas living in the South, West, East, Yorubas living in. . . well, Lagos grin - it's high time we raise our kids to learn all the major languages. Considering that most of them would not be based in their own home towns all their life, they shouldn't restrict themselves to speaking their "native" lingua. Me sef, I wish I could sing in Igbo and rap in Hausa. Hey, Kush did it in "Let's Live Together" - and it was cool. wink

check your post and tell me who's being prickly over what she perceives as a "racist term for whites". Stop acting like a snake abeg.

maedan:

lol at the "whiggers" term. That's a new one. Neo-reverse-racism?? Rotf grin.

maedan:

Heyyy, chill out @ tpia, no need to be on the warpath. I truly have never heard the term, don't mix with anyone who would use it undecided. I just thought it sounded catchy - but somehow "racist". Stuff like "white men can't jump" and "can't rap" are just the Afro's way of turning the tables against whites. Blacks can be intolerant when they want to, and usually sneer at "whiteguys" trying to break into their music genres (rap, hiphop, R&B).

Sorry, but since I'm new to the term would someone like Vanilla Ice have been considered a "whigger"?? Or maybe Eminem? Please, humour me, I only seek to learn grin cheesy.

what kind of people do you think use the term wigger?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:03am On Sep 04, 2009
davidif:

tpia
Don't you live in New Zealand?? What the heck do you know about the US? Statistics show that 75% of people who buy rap albums are WHITE. Have you ever been to a rap concert before?? i don't think so because if you did you would see waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more white people than black people. The problem is that you guys watch too much TV or movies (RV) so you think you know everything about a country that you  have never been before.

By the way, blacks are ONLY 13% of the population in the US. and if rap was only bought by blacks it would definitely not be mega-selling genre today.

look, we can argue this all day.

There are whites and there are whites.

By your own admission blacks are a minority. So calculate the number of whites who are into hiphop and compare it with the general average. Even a tiny percentage of whites who like hiphop would still make a dent in hiphop/rap sales reports anyway, since they're a majority.

However, that doesnt mean most whites like hiphop- just a certain demographic.

Btw, Hispanics are also into hiphop, so crunch the numbers.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chiogo(f): 3:05am On Sep 04, 2009
Hmph, the Igbo D'banj spoke in "Igwe" didn't sound very right either. And how many yoruba songs have P-square made exactly apart from "omoge mi"?. The rest are pidgin, or so I think.  undecided

@topic, I don't know. I remember my french teacher who was white mention how she likes Youssou N'dour(sp), the senegalese singer. I think she knows Fela too. The few Fela songs I've listened to were mostly in pidgin anyway. I never bothered to find out if the teacher knew more African singers. I guess Fela is recognized because he was a well traveled man and considered a legend. Femi Kuti even performs at concerts here.

I think Londoner is right about the rap music thing 'cause I personally don't buy rap albums but I listen to rap music a lot. I've always heard that whites buy more rap music, could be true considering their population is more than blacks anyway.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:08am On Sep 04, 2009
@tpia

stop acting like a snake?? Now you're being a bitch/a-hole. I saw a term I'd never heard of before, I wondered if wasn't some kind of racist label, because I think in this modern times noone should be making any spin-off words from "nigger". It's just beastly. Stop trying to be a "I know white culture" wannabe. Who made you the authority on who listens to what? Crap.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chic2pimp(m): 3:12am On Sep 04, 2009
davidif:

tpia
Don't you live in New Zealand?? What the heck do you know about the US? Statistics show that 75% of people who buy rap albums are WHITE. Have you ever been to a rap concert before?? i don't think so because if you did you would see waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more white people than black people. The problem is that you guys watch too much TV or movies (RV) so you think you know everything about a country that you  have never been before.

By the way, blacks are ONLY 13% of the population in the US. and if rap was only bought by blacks it would definitely not be mega-selling genre today.
Omo chop knuckle jare  grin cheesy grin. Absolutely spot on. I've been to jigga's concert recently and the majority of peeps there were white.
tpia.:

However, that doesnt mean most whites like hiphop- just a certain demographic.

On the contrary,no one ever suggested the majority of white peeps like hip hop. Posters said hip hop was bought by a predominatly white audience.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:13am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

@tpia

stop acting like a snake?? Now you're being a bitch/a-hole. I saw a term I'd never heard of before, I wondered if wasn't some kind of racist label, because I think in this modern times noone should be making any spin-off words from "nigger". It's just beastly. Stop trying to be a "I know white culture" wannabe. Who made you the authority on who listens to what? Crap.

@ bolded

Enough said.

I can smell hypocrites a mile off. You do try to pretend, but somehow you dont quite cut the picture of lilly white you try so hard to portray.

Just another ass kissing naija idiot trying to derail the thread.

You have no problem with nigger and bitch in rap music but you want to die over wigger.

what a baboon.

Your mama is obviously a bitch and raised you as one.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:18am On Sep 04, 2009
"lol at the "whiggers" term. That's a new one. Neo-reverse-racism?? Rotf ."
UNQUOTE

Took the pains to "check" my initial post. Just what is so offensive about this simple curious comment? If I had known it would have you spitting venom at me I'd have just ignored the post I saw it in and simply googled the "whigger" term and find out what it meant and where it originated. Some folks on this NL are just spoiling for a fight at every turn.

And when did we have any discussion where I told you I condoned the word "nigger" or "bitch" being used in music? Who wants to die over "whigger"? This your case is serious. You're the hypocrite, feeling slighted because you know you were fooling yourself trying to show off your "knowlege" of American culture.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:19am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

"lol at the "whiggers" term. That's a new one. Neo-reverse-racism?? Rotf ."
UNQUOTE

Took the pains to "check" my initial post. Just what is so offensive about this simple curious comment? If I had known it would have you spitting venom at me I'd have just ignored the post I saw it in and simply googled the "whigger" term and find out what it meant and where it originated. Some folks on this NL are just spoiling for a fight at every turn.

And when did we have any discussion where I told you I condoned the word "nigger" or "bitch" being used in music? Who wants to die over "whigger"? This your case is serious. You're the hypocrite, feeling slighted because you know you were fooling yourself trying to show off your "knowlege" of American culture.

madam, give it a rest.

Go chat with people who like you and who you like back.

So now, for you, its about who knows more American culture?

Why do Nigerians like you keep disgracing themselves in this bush manner?

Someone is blowing her bloomers over wigger, which she says she never heard before, and "doesnt mix with people who use that term", and now says her feelings are hurt because some people are "acting like they know American culture".

what a soap opera you are.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:21am On Sep 04, 2009
By insulting my mother, tpia, it shows you've never known the love, training or care of one. You must have been picked up from trash and raised by hyenas. Only God knows who offended you in that village you are typing from, if not you would know how to carry yourself on a public forum. Goat spawn.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:23am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

By insulting my mother, tpia, it shows you've never known the love, training or care of one. You must have been picked up from trash and raised by hyenas. Only God knows who offended you in that village you are typing from, if not you would know how to carry yourself on a public forum. Goat spawn.

abeg stop wasting my time, bitch.

and daughter of one.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by doyin13(m): 3:24am On Sep 04, 2009
mehnnnn. . .

no be small thing oo
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by 3spade3(m): 3:25am On Sep 04, 2009
Yoruwhat?

LED ZEPPELIN!!! The White Man's music is awe inspiring!!!
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 04, 2009
On the contrary,no one ever suggested the majority of white peeps like hip hop. Posters said hip hop was bought by a predominatly white audience.

well, if you want to look at it that way.

The statistics may have changed, and whites may have become the majority buyers and listeners of rap/hiphop.

However, it doesnt mean whites as a whole are into hiphop. There are plenty who arent.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:27am On Sep 04, 2009
@tpia

I think I know your problem, no wonder you jumped at my first post thinking I was referring to you personally. So extra sensitive to the comments from people you know, in your heart, are your betters. Don't let envy kill you, okay, it's a slow poison that doesn't kill till you've seen all your perceived enemies rise to the top while you rot at the bottom. Major loser. Stop being such a jealous bitch and get over your many life's frustrations.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:28am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

@tpia

I think I know your problem, no wonder you jumped at my first post thinking I was referring to you personally. So extra sensitive to the comments from people you know, in your heart, are your betters. Don't let envy kill you, okay, it's a slow poison that doesn't kill till you've seen all your perceived enemies rise to the top while you rot at the bottom. Major loser. Stop being such a jealous bitch and get over your many life's frustrations.

loneliness is killing you, bitch and daughter of a bitch.

who do you consider yourself better than? People who use the term wigger?

all kind basket cases wey full naija.

village buffalo.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by doyin13(m): 3:29am On Sep 04, 2009
jeez. . .u lot need to stop.

Its gerring ridiculous
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:30am On Sep 04, 2009
doyin13:

jeez. . .u lot need to stop.

Its gerring ridiculous

na your crush or girlfriend?
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by doyin13(m): 3:32am On Sep 04, 2009
shuwo. . .

i am just a peace maker ooo.

but she is kinda fine though grin grin grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:33am On Sep 04, 2009
@tpia

Hell's spawn, your own frustration is killing you, if not you won't be finding it so easy to spew hate based on a little comment. Any impartial observer who'll take time to read from the beginning will see how you degenerated from your ranting into the sub-human you are. Don't blame me for your sorry excuse for a life, bitch and daughter of a dogfather and toad mother.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:35am On Sep 04, 2009
doyin13:

shuwo. . .

i am just a peace maker ooo.

but she is kinda fine though grin grin grin

how does that concern me?

face her now.

I dont see fine anywhere but different strokes for different folks.

if you like 'em underhanded, puff headed and sneaky then she's definitely your type.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:37am On Sep 04, 2009
I see two of my angels fighting on this thread. Keep on and you go def lose your halo.

You both will soon be looking like doyin13 embarassed
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:37am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

@tpia

Hell's spawn, your own frustration is killing you, if not you won't be finding it so easy to spew hate based on a little comment. Any impartial observer who'll take time to read from the beginning will see how you degenerated from your ranting into the sub-human you are. Don't blame me for your sorry excuse for a life, bitch and daughter of a dogfather and toad mother.

look, this daughter of an ancestral family of bitches, dont you think you've derailed the thread long enough?

Doyin says he has a crush on you so at least you've achieved something and gotten a man with your putrid mouth.

Is it the first time someone will intentionally pick a fight on Nl in order to attract attention to themselves?

We all know men can be hard to get in real life with a snake personality like yours.

So cool your head and face Doyin before he loses interest and moves on to the next screamer on NL.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:39am On Sep 04, 2009
FL Gators:

I see two of my angels fighting on this thread. Keep on and you go def lose your halo.

this your serpentine angel had better stop following me around.

me i no be angel oh.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by doyin13(m): 3:42am On Sep 04, 2009
FL Gators:

o gbadun rara
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:42am On Sep 04, 2009
"underhanded, puffheaded, sneaky??" @tpia, you know all this about me after just a few posts, or does this go farther back? Haters will always hate, while the playas always play. Sorry o, if I offended you in a past topic or in a past life - did your great-great-great grand dogfather serve as my family's rat killer in your previous generations? Jealous Arrow.

And please stop forcing admirers on me, I'm sure you need them more. At least now we all know where all the beef is coming from. Dog-and-toad bitchslut, try harder and you just might get a rabid bulldog to fall for you. Jealousy kill you tongue.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:44am On Sep 04, 2009
^^ all this over wigger.

what a toad and a bitch you are.

na your genes, I know.

araoko wo ilu, like they say.

nothing wrong with bitch and nigger- na wigger be the real problem.

bush animal.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by chic2pimp(m): 3:45am On Sep 04, 2009
tpia.:

well, if you want to look at it that way.

The statistics may have changed, and whites may have become the majority buyers and listeners of rap/hiphop.

However, it doesnt mean whites as a whole are into hiphop. There are plenty who arent.
Exactly my dear tongue grin. White people as a whole are not all into Hip Hop however they make up the majority of buyers of this particular form of music.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by doyin13(m): 3:45am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

And please stop forcing admirers on me, I'm sure you need them more. At least now we all know where all the beef is coming from. Dog-and-toad bitchslut, try harder and you just might get a rabid bulldog to fall for you. Jealousy kill you tongue.

I hope this is not a slight aimed at me. . . .  angry angry angry angry

Or else, wetin happen for 1968 go happen again
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:48am On Sep 04, 2009
doyin13:

o gbadun rara
talo so fun e?
emi n jaiye nibi ti mo wa grin
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by maedan(f): 3:49am On Sep 04, 2009
Lol at doyin13

Why would I even dream of slighting you?? I was just pointing out to the envy-infested toadstool that she shouldn't force words into your innocent mouth. You can only be a gentleman while she can only be a jealous bitch.

@tpia

In my genes? At least I have human xteristics - while you're a cross-breed of toad, hyena and rabid mongrel. Who even let you out of your cage? Someone needs to call a dogcatcher fast to dump her back in her lonely pound! Shior. Blabbing that I'm following you around. Who even knew you existed before you started calling me names? Sad and lonely bitchtoad.
Re: Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? by Nobody: 3:52am On Sep 04, 2009
maedan:

Lol at doyin13

Why would I even dream of slighting you?? I was just pointing out to the envy-infested toadstool that she shouldn't force words into your innocent mouth. You can only be a gentleman while she can only be a jealous bitch.

@tpia

In my genes? At least I have human xteristics - while you're a cross-breed of toad, hyena and rabid mongrel. Who even let you out of your cage? Someone needs to call a dogcatcher fast to dump her back in her lonely pound! Shior. Blabbing that I'm following you around. Who even knew you existed before you started calling me names? Sad and lonely bitchtoad.

queen bitchfrog

you've displayed this snakish nature of yours before. This isnt your first time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates Alafere, Oya & Ijugbe Festivals (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.