Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,848 members, 7,969,550 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 09:54 AM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (45798 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 02, 2007
Great achievements but what does it have to do with the issue at hand?. . . The truth is that you are biased in favour Yorubas and against Igbos which that is evident in all of your postings I've come across so far on Nairaland.

Either ways, I don't see what any of those have to do with the issue at hand. . . I still want to know why you made the broad remark that Igbo actors do not do any scripwriting or producing when this is evidently against the truth. Nkem Owoh who you guys have chosen to deride so much actually started off as a screenwriter and still does that as well as some production in his movies. You must be blindfolded if you cannot admit that he's the best Nigerian comic on screen at the moment.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 3:18pm On Jan 02, 2007
Donzman,
You said I don't appreciate my Igbo heritage, so I've shown that I am proud of my native language and tribe.

I never mentioned that Igbo actors don't excel in other aspects of film production.
Please, read my posts.

I know Nkem Owoh to his office in Surulere. But, I don't find him funny.
I regarded the late Jegede funnier than other Igbo actors.

Nigerian comics are not even really funny.
They know nothing more than tribal jokes.
Today is Night of A Thousand Laughs here on Bonny Island and my sister is going. But I am staying back. Because, I have better things to do online when most of the residents will be cracking their ribs over rubbish.

A black African was shown on the CNN yesterday for his famous funny facial expressions alone.
Eddie Murphy, Jamie Fox, Will Smith and others actually started as stand up comics on stage before moving on to films.
How many of our Nigerian comics have been able to make it to the world stage.
They are only using their Godfatherism and playing to the gallery to make money in Nigeria.

How many of them have you seen making it from Nollywood to Hollywood since 1992 to date?

Nollywood is a recycle bin.
Even Bollywood films beat British films at the box office, and they don't speak or act in the English language.

Let us make Chinua Achebe's novels into films instead of producing the rubbish they are making like a mass production factory.
But as you already know that only few of them can appreciate the genius of Achebe, Ekwensi, Munonye, Nwapa, Emecheta, Amadi and others. And even Ebereonwu who is a member of our Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) has never thought of this.

Go and sit down and watch 'Tsotsi'
In the Johannesburg townships of South Africa, a young gang leader steals a car — unaware that a baby is in the backseat — forever changing his life. With Presley Chweneyagae, below, Terry Pheto, Kenneth Nkosi, Mothusi Magano, Zenzo Ngqobe and Zola. Written and directed by Gavin Hood, based on the Athol Fugard novel..

Read my civil war Biafran story Refuge Child on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of A Yellow Sun

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:17pm On Jan 02, 2007
as for gay movie becoming straight or whatever bullshit. There's a lesbian movie with Stephanie Okere and Caro Ekeme, they too went for "divine" intervention and they became straight and their husbands eventually forgave them for their "perverse lives" so what the hell are you babbling about.

Donzman:

. I do not agree that Yoruba movies have better plots, most of the plots are just as cliche as the Nollywood ones.

Whether you agree or not doesnt mean shit to me. I'm not going to get into that arguement with you again. Those who arent biased know the truth besides you've probably seen like 4 or 5 and I have an entire attic filled with them so don't even bother me.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 02, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

as for gay movie becoming straight or whatever bullshit. There's a lesbian movie with Stephanie Okere and Caro Ekeme, they too went for "divine" intervention and they became straight and their husbands eventually forgave them for their "perverse lives" so what the hell are you babbling about.
Whether you agree or not doesnt mean shit to me. I'm not going to get into that arguement with you again. Those who arent biased know the truth besides you've probably seen like 4 or 5 and I have an entire attic filled with them so don't even bother me.

Again facts stare people in the face but they fail to appreciate it. Doesn't that prove my point that Yoruba movies are just as cliche and predictable as the Nollywood films they choose to deride? undecided

A black African was shown on the CNN yesterday for his famous funny facial expressions alone.
Eddie Murphy, Jamie Fox, Will Smith and others actually started as stand up comics on stage before moving on to films.
How many of our Nigerian comics have been able to make it to the world stage.
They are only using their Godfatherism and playing to the gallery to make money in Nigeria.

A Nigerian kid that is unexposed to American culture won't find any of Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx or Will Smith funny either. An American kid unexposed to Nigerian culture won't find neither of our Nigerian comics funny. That's it for you, cultural differences, I wonder why you didn't think of that. . . Ehh Mr. Genius?. . . How many proper Naija boys will find all the jokes about race funny? That's what most of the comedians you listed above do with the exception of Eddie Murphy. By the way, how can you call comedians and add Will Smith? undecided
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 9:01pm On Jan 02, 2007
Will Smith is best known for his comedies from television to the cinema.

Everybody is a genius in his or her forte.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 02, 2007
Will Smith is best known for going from rap to sitcom to movies. Comedy was never his forte!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by superman(m): 9:57pm On Jan 02, 2007
donsman no mind am he thinks he knows what hes has be talkin about!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 10:17pm On Jan 02, 2007
Donzman:

Will Smith is best known for going from rap to sitcom to movies. Comedy was never his forte!
A situation comedy, usually referred to as a sitcom, is a genre of comedy programs which originated in radio. Today, sitcoms are found almost exclusively on television, as one of its dominant narrative forms. Sitcoms usually consist of recurring characters in a common environment such as a home or workplace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitcom

Most of his films have been comedies too. From Independence Day to Hitch.
Will Smith's easygoing charm makes Hitch the kind of pleasant, uplifting romantic comedy

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Eurphoria(f): 10:30pm On Jan 02, 2007
Orinkila i am glad you put that up cos i was going to but i thought against it cos it wud be like pissing in the wind smiley
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 10:59pm On Jan 02, 2007
Eurphoria:

Orinkila i am glad you put that up because i was going to but i thought against it because it would be like pissing in the wind smiley

Eurphoria,
Even Will Smith would have laughed at Donzman. grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2007
Will Smith isn't a comedian, he acts in comedies and in sitcoms like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air but that doesn't make him a comedian. Is Jeniffer Aniston a comedian too?. . . Wasn't she in Friends?. . . Will Smith is just a regular actor who acts in movies, comedy, action and etcetera. Is Bruce Willis a comedian too? Remember his role in The Whole Nine Yards?. . . What about Ashton Kutcher?. . . He's appeared in a lot of comedies and even a sitcom but he isn't someone you'll refer to as a comedian especially in America.

You think Independence Day was a comedy, go figure!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by superman(m): 11:08pm On Jan 02, 2007
donsman no mind them jore! which kind laugh
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:13pm On Jan 02, 2007
Donzman:

He was already doing stand up comedy from High School.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 02, 2007
Orikinla:

He was already doing stand up comedy from High School.

Did he do it after highschool?. . . Most comedians in America has stand-up shows and have done some special once in a while. I'm yet to see one from Will Smith, he acts in comedies but that doesn't make him a comedian.

Again, thread has derailed. You're yet to prove that Yoruba actors and actresses are better, there's no evidence of it. From best actor/actress awards to monetary compensation, NOTHING proves your point. Keep trying to derail the thread.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:23pm On Jan 02, 2007
I am only responding to your queries.

Okay, Nkem Owoh is an actor who acts comedies? grin
But Baba Suwe is a comedian who acts in movies? grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jan 02, 2007
Orikinla:

I am only responding to your queries.

Okay, Nkem Owoh is an actor who acts comedies? grin
But Baba Suwe is a comedian who acts in movies? grin

No, Nkem Owoh is an actor and a comedian who acts in comedies. Most of his roles are due to the comedic value and you know that. Compare that with Will Smith, he's often there for more than the comedy. grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 11:41pm On Jan 02, 2007
Will Smith is a British comedian.  Just do a google search on him for more info.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:45pm On Jan 02, 2007
This thread is getting longer than Nollywood from Idumota to Iweka Street in Onitsha. grin

Omotola Ekeinde is one Yoruba actress who earns as much as any Nollywood top actor or actress.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:51pm On Jan 02, 2007
Gbenga Richards and Segun Arinze in 30 Days are among the highest paid too.

Lanre Balogun, Olu Jacobs, Joke Silva, Bimbo Akintola, Ayo Adesanya, Lilian bach, Ayo Mogaji, Shola Shobowale, Bukky Ajayi and of course Ramsey Nouah.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 02, 2007
Orikinla:

Gbenga Richards and Segun Arinze in 30 Days are among the highest paid too.

Lanre Balogun, Olu Jacobs, Joke Silva, Bimbo Akintola, Ayo Adesanya, Lilian bach, Ayo Mogaji, Shola Shobowale, Bukky Ajayi and of course Ramsey Nouah.

Great. , How are any of those actors better than the Igbo Nollywood actors and how many of them feature in Yoruba only movies?. . . Most of those guys act in English Nollywood movies. See, you're just biased and always confusing yourself, you don't even know what you're arguing for or against.

Clear up your stance before I continue with this!. . . What exactly are you arguing?. . . Seems like you're saying another thing while ThiefofHearts and co. are saying another thing.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:13am On Jan 03, 2007
[size=14pt]Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better?[/size][size=14pt][/size]

English. English. English.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by chidexy(m): 7:48pm On Jan 03, 2007
@ orinkila,

I still believe that one cannot in all sincerity compare 2 actors and proclaim that one is better than the other, because no 2 persons can interprete a script the same way. Even the people you are trying to defend know their worth and are never involved in this dichotomy argument. They are professionals in their field and they are there to act. If you bring a script and they like it and the fees are good, the star in your film. Their being good at what they do has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with their genetic origin.

They are good not because they are yoruba actors acting in yoruba language. They are, because they have the talent, and have developed their talents. We are proud of our nigerian actor(ess)s, irrespective of where they come from. But I still don't believe that they are better than their contemporaries in the english genere of Nollywood - that is, if you accept that Yoruba films are part of the industry.

My only problem with the Yoruba films is that I don't get the whole depth, even with the subtitles - but that doesn't stop me from watching them if I go to a friend's house - though I don't really agree with the way they interprete their roles in the film, too much exuberance.

Crucify me if you want!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 2:57pm On Jan 04, 2007
Orikinla:

I am not a tribalist.

but Donzman is! he has chosen to introduce tribal sentiments to this arguements from the word go. a mere tribal warlord the guy is!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 3:04pm On Jan 04, 2007
Donzman:

You must be blindfolded if you cannot admit that he's the best Nigerian comic on screen at the moment,

just like you must be blindfolded if you believe everyone reasons like you. when u talk of comedians, he is the last person i would use my money to buy either the film he features in or pay to watch his life show! i love his music though i.e 'i go chop your dollar'. guess i prefer him as a musician than a comedian. he should be adviced to stop all those dry and recycled jokes he throws about!!!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 3:14pm On Jan 04, 2007
chidexy:

I know the mainstream yoruba movie in Nollywood as we have it today started off as a "protest" against the perceived "marginalisation" by the Igbo (mostly, or so some thought) producers. Having made their point, they could at least have started making some movies in English so that genuine movie lovers like us, who are not yorubas can at least enjoy their stories. Movies are all about stories, no matter how stupid or non-professional it may seem to you, it's still a story and someone, may just find it interesting. Afterall, hundreds of films are produced in Hollywood, but just a few make it to the headlines. Just watch some tv channels dedicated to films.

try and do some home work dia, then you would know how far ago the yorubas started acting and producing films. as far back as the 70es when i was very young, i heard of the baba sala, ogunde, ade love, ogunmola and co. am sure you know nothing about the history of yoruba movies. the greatest playwrites whom have always gone into movies/stage productions as far back like the wole soyinkas, ola rotimi and co are yorubas. you shd stop giving false information here. it is better you come to this forum and read to learn about facts as it is obvious you know nothing.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2007
chidexy:

Crucify me if you want!

You'd have to find someone who cares first.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by chidexy(m): 8:35pm On Jan 04, 2007
@ Ronke Baby and Thiefofheart,

I never said that the Yoruba films started then. I said the "mainstream" yoruba movie, implying the post Nollywood or do you prefer home video" yoruba films started off due to percieved marginalization. These are at least what I gleaned from the various publication. I am not part of the industry - unless as a movie lover. I only stand for less rancourous relationship by the practitioners within the industry irrespective of what part of Nigeria they are from.

By the way, the late Ola Rotimi, Wole Soyinka and other great literary minds that we have in Nigeria are not who they are or achieved what they have achieved because of their genetic heritage, but because they are talented and have put their talent into good use. I hope you get that!

As for Thiefofheart, you really do care about "me" if not you wouldn't have bothered to respond hahahahaha
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:52pm On Jan 04, 2007
Havent heard that one before.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 04, 2007
Lol @ Ronkebaby and Thiefofhearts

Donzman tribalist?. . . You have to dig deeper, I'm not that shallow. I'm trying to tell you what I believe is true and you're delusional not to see that.

just like you must be blindfolded if you believe everyone reasons like you. when u talk of comedians, he is the last person i would use my money to buy either the film he features in or pay to watch his life show! i love his music though i.e 'i go chop your dollar'. guess i prefer him as a musician than a comedian. he should be adviced to stop all those dry and recycled jokes he throws about!!!

Mamaronke, you're alone with this particular opinion because Osuofia is popular all over Africa. Read accounts of him visiting Cameroon with large groups of Cameroonians coming out to catch a glimpse of the legend. If Baba Suwe visits my house, I could mistake the clown for a beggar!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by superman(m): 10:42pm On Jan 04, 2007
haha
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 1:08am On Jan 05, 2007
chidexy:

@ Ronke Baby and Thiefofheart,

I never said that the Yoruba films started then. I said the "mainstream" yoruba movie, implying the post Nollywood or do you prefer home video" yoruba films started off due to percieved marginalization. These are at least what I gleaned from the various publication. I am not part of the industry - unless as a movie lover. I only stand for less rancourous relationship by the practitioners within the industry irrespective of what part of Nigeria they are from.

By the way, the late Ola Rotimi, Wole Soyinka and other great literary minds that we have in Nigeria are not who they are or achieved what they have achieved because of their genetic heritage, but because they are talented and have put their talent into good use. I hope you get that!

i understood what you meant the first time and your explanation the second time confirms what i knew you meant. you are still very wrong my dia. you probably don't know much about yoruba films until of recent, hence your misinformation. the yoruba films have always been in existent. ask for when owo blow, efunsetan aniwura, oleku, ti oluwa nile and co were produced from pple. mainstream yoruba films did not start as a result of marginalization. conduct some research if you care to discover this fact.
as to your second point, ola rotimi and wole soyinka, dr. layinka, adebayo faleti, akinwunmi ishola etc and just to mention a few are all well known playwrites and university dons. i hope this buttresses one of the facts of the arguement. yoruba actors are better becos of their theoretical/educational background. yoruba has always laid lots of emphasis on education and this is the bedrock of their movie genre. i guess this solves your confusion as to why these pple are good. yeah they are good becos of their ethnic origin and their ethnicity laying high emphasis on education.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 1:12am On Jan 05, 2007
Donzman:

Lol @ Ronkebaby and Thiefofhearts

Donzman tribalist?. . . You have to dig deeper, I'm not that shallow. I'm trying to tell you what I believe is true and you're delusional not to see that.

Mamaronke, you're alone with this particular opinion because Osuofia is popular all over Africa. Read accounts of him visiting Cameroon with large groups of Cameroonians coming out to catch a glimpse of the legend. If Baba Suwe visits my house, I could mistake the
clown for a beggar!

your cup of tea dear donzman. however popular you might find him to be, he is a no go area for me!!! and don't forget the english genre of nollywood movie becos of the language used as the medium of expression is more popular with other africa countries. so it would be very unwise for you to compare him with baba suwe on this level.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Denrele Attacked For Sending Beverly Osu To Represent Nigeria At Big Brother / Meet Jackye, 2019 BBNaija Housemate Who Is A “Software Developer” (Photo) / BBNaija Votes Don't Count - Tacha (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.