Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,155 members, 7,939,644 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 09:42 AM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (45068 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:51pm On Dec 16, 2006
where's obuko dudu? tongue
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:11pm On Dec 16, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

where's obuko dudu? tongue

Thank you for that reminder. And there are still others.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 12:46am On Dec 17, 2006
@Orikinla

don't forget my fav o - oleku!!!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by WesleyanA(f): 12:49am On Dec 17, 2006
add that scary movie - Ikoto aiye.
cheesy
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:28am On Dec 17, 2006
You should have added that to my "scary Yoruba movies" thread, Wes! angry tongue
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by gbadex1(m): 2:08pm On Dec 17, 2006
@Orikinla:

err. . .hope you didn't forget the Ti Oluwa Nile series and Saworoide. Those were classics.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 3:13pm On Dec 17, 2006
i just remembered EFUNSETAN! an anytime anyday classic!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 6:29pm On Dec 17, 2006
If we continue, we have to create an exclusive forum for Yoruba films and Nollywood Yoruba movies.

Lest I forget Tunde Kelani said he does not belong to Nollywood.
Why?
Most Nollywood movies even fail to qualify for screening in the video category of most international film festivals.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2006
gbade. x:

@Orikinla:

err. . .hope you didn't forget the Ti Oluwa Nile series and Saworoide. Those were classics.

*nods* I was gonna mention these two. My dad LOVES them. Indeed they are classics.

oya bobo ode grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by gbadex1(m): 10:09pm On Dec 17, 2006
*sigh* Tunde Kelani's the bomb! The dude's a director's director! It's a pity mainstream Nollywood fcuks don't even recognize his works.
Anybody seen "The White Handkerchief" [or something like that]?

i can't believe i haven't seen "Abeni". Mayne gbade, you are slacking o!
*slaps self in the face*
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 1:16am On Dec 18, 2006
You guys are idiot including threadstarter himself. Obviously, Nollywood movies are geared towards the mainstream which will not always appeal to the so-called critics. That isn't what this thread is about, this thread is about the actors/actresses. Listing Yoruba movies does not prove your point, listing the actors/actresses who are better will do it. It's a pity you really can't because they are not better.

Again, why will you be better at something but receiving lesser compensation for it?, This is analogous to what you see in music. You have the "underground" musicians claiming they're better than the mainstream musicians because the mainstream musicians are commercial. Think about it, these mainstream musicians have gone through the "underground" scene, they've efficiently allocated their talent to something that will compensate them more. They're clearly better than those nuts who are stuck doing "underground" music even though 99% of them won't admit it. This same logic applies to Nollywood or any other entertainment industry. You can go about criticizing what they put out as more commercial and mass appealing but you cannot deny that they're more talented than those below them on the wage scale.There is a reason why they make more money, they have better talent and it's quite simple.

Only dumbasses (read Orikinla) will believe that someone who makes less is better than someone who makes more. Why do you keep earning less if you're better?, Again, stick on topic, we're discussing actors/actresses and not the movies. Yoruba movie actors are not as good as their colleagues in Nollywood for reasons already stated. Quit listing Yoruba movies, list these actresses who are better than the top actors/actresses in Nollywood. You can't even follow your own thread?, What an Igbo man!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:12am On Dec 18, 2006
shut up Donz.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 2:24am On Dec 18, 2006
Keep speaking ThiefofHearts, you have a sweet voice. cheesy
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:14am On Dec 18, 2006
Aww tongue
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 9:09am On Dec 18, 2006
Donzman:

You guys are idiot including threadstarter himself. Obviously, Nollywood movies are geared towards the mainstream which will not always appeal to the so-called critics. That isn't what this thread is about, this thread is about the actors/actresses. Listing Yoruba movies does not prove your point, listing the actors/actresses who are better will do it. It's a pity you really can't because they are not better.

Again, why will you be better at something but receiving lesser compensation for it?, This is analogous to what you see in music. You have the "underground" musicians claiming they're better than the mainstream musicians because the mainstream musicians are commercial. Think about it, these mainstream musicians have gone through the "underground" scene, they've efficiently allocated their talent to something that will compensate them more. They're clearly better than those nuts who are stuck doing "underground" music even though 99% of them won't admit it. This same logic applies to Nollywood or any other entertainment industry. You can go about criticizing what they put out as more commercial and mass appealing but you cannot deny that they're more talented than those below them on the wage scale.There is a reason why they make more money, they have better talent and it's quite simple.

Only dumbasses (read Orikinla) will believe that someone who makes less is better than someone who makes more. Why do you keep earning less if you're better?, Again, stick on topic, we're discussing actors/actresses and not the movies. Yoruba movie actors are not as good as their colleagues in Nollywood for reasons already stated. Quit listing Yoruba movies, list these actresses who are better than the top actors/actresses in Nollywood. You can't even follow your own thread?, What an Igbo man!

i am happy you are still on this issue. just keep whinning if that would console the shock of your defeat. lastly i wonder when you became the employer that knows the payroll of each of these actors. i seriosly would like to know how you got to know about the pay figures of the yoruba artists and the complaints they made to you regarding it.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 7:39pm On Dec 18, 2006
Donzman:

I doubt your IQ.

You can't even read.

I mentioned Joke Silver and Olu Jacobs who are better locally and internationally than the so called Nollywood highest paid actor and actress.
The so called Nollywood highest paid actor and actress cannot even express themselves when the chips are down on the world stage. I mentioned filmography and you don't even understand it.

It is a pity that you can't read.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 7:42pm On Dec 18, 2006
Let me help your case.
Let me make as simple as ABC.

Olu Jacobs - Filmography - Movies - New York TimesMAIN PAGE. More On 'Olu Jacobs'. Olu Jacobs. Actor. Denotes a New York Times Critic's Pick. 1986, Pirates, Actor: Boumako, » Review » Trailer. 1985, Baby. ,
movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=34919 - Similar pages

Olu JacobsOlu Jacobs on IMDb: Movies, TV, Celebs, and more,
www.imdb.com/name/nm0414570/ - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Olu JacobsOlu Jacobs, Olu Jacobs movies, Olu Jacobs pictures, Olu Jacobs photos, Olu Jacobs news, Olu Jacobs biography.
www.hollywood.com/celebs/detail/id/1346404 - 45k - Cached - Similar pages

Web - The 'Olu Jacobs' PageThe 'Olu Jacobs' Page. Rumpole Of The Bailey Episode 015 (02.03):'Rumpole and the Golden Thread' The Professionals Episode 028 (03.05):'The Madness of ,
www.tnelson.demon.co.uk/cult/a04/a004592.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

Jacobs, Olu - Nigerian film actor and directorOlu Jacobs, Nigerian film actor and director. , Family Name:, Jacobs. Given Name:, Olu. Gender:, Male. Country:, Nigeria ,
people.africadatabase.org/en/person/18470.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Olu Jacobs FilmographyFilmography and biographical information for Olu Jacobs.
www.cinemascreen.co.uk/filmography/filmography.asp?actorid=11679 - 11k - Cached - Similar pages
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:49pm On Dec 18, 2006
Orikinla.

Why do you bother, all Donzie is thinking about is "well they make more money" so whatever fact you'll try to show him isnt going to matter because he believes "more money means better talent". If only it were truly like that.

Anyway I've tried and he hasnt budged so i doubt showing him other things will chnage his mind either. which is fine. He obviously doesnt know anything about film. Cant blame the poor guy.

Hey Donz  cheesy
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2006
@Orikinla

You have a lot of convincing to do for me to believe that Olu Jacobs is better than Pete Edochie or Alex Osifo or Bob-Manuel Udokwu.

You also have to be off the left field to convince me that Joke Silva is better than Liz Benson or Hilda Dokubo

You must be delusional if you think 2 names alone can prove your nonsensical point.

I don't understand what filmography is?, Serioulsy now!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2006
ok now I have to make my say

Bob Manuel better than Olu Jacobs, are you high on something?

Lol what are Bob's accomplishments outside of Nigeria?  cheesy

Lol they're not even much WITHIN Nigeria.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2006
Is that all?, I forgot to include Amaka Igwe.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 8:13pm On Dec 18, 2006
it is obvious this Donzman just likes to feel impt. and if proving rebellious and on the opposite side of this arguement would make him feel noticed, i guess it is ride on for him. but it is a pity the more he tries, the more fool he makes of himself. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what a pity!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 18, 2006
ronkebaby:

it is obvious this Donzman just likes to feel impt. and if proving rebellious and on the opposite side of this arguement would make him feel noticed, i guess it is ride on for him. but it is a pity the more he tries, the more fool he makes of himself. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what a pity!

Sorry you feel that way, I just don't think Yoruba actors are better than their Nollywood counterparts. Try again Mama Ronke!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2006
Donzman:

Sorry you feel that way, I just don't think Yoruba actors are better than their Nollywood counterparts. Try again Mama Ronke!

the thot is enough to give u sleepless nights. ride on dear brother. meanwhile your stand has been defeated as the popular opinion in this forus already swings to what the author of the forum said. hope u get some drugs to calm your nerves. kiss
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 9:38pm On Dec 18, 2006
Donzman:

I just don't think Yoruba actors are better than their Nollywood counterparts.

What you do not understand is that your thoughts do not change that fact.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by bluenubian(f): 9:51pm On Dec 18, 2006
Ooh Sharrrap goodguy, u making a useless point, aren't the majority of our posts here, our thought. Our thoughts are what we believe is the truth and we post em, jus like what your leader Orikinla did, and what donzman is doing, including u.

Donzman, leave them alone, let them keep running their mouth, over here, listing movies to make themselves feel better about their short comings.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 10:14pm On Dec 18, 2006
Ooh keep talking bluenubian, You just made the most useful point on this thread so far. Infact, you deserve an award! tongue

Orikinla has listed not just what he believes, but with facts to support his arguments. If you cannot see that, then I'm sorry. If only you understood the English language, you'll comprehend that I was only trying to point out that what Donzman himself thinks on the subject, does not change the proven fact that Yoruba actors in Nollywood are better than their Igbo counterparts.

Your thoughts are not necesarily facts, dolt!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 18, 2006

Orikinla has listed not just what he believes, but with facts to support his arguments

What are these facts you speak of?, Movie names? I can list Nollywood movies if you want some.

Joke Silve and Olu Jacobs?, I give him Pete Edochie, Amaka Igwe, Hilda Dokubo, Alex Osifo.

Comedians?, Igbos take the take EASILY. He can't find comedians to match Zebrudaya, Jegede, Clarus and Gringory. Funny how he completely neglected that post after making the comment that there are no Igbo comedians apart from Nkwm Owoh. Stand up?, I gave him Basketmouth, Juluis Agwu, Okey Bakassi, Funny how your "Mr Fact" never replied to those.

Are these the facts you speak of?, Maybe you should look up what facts are!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 10:46pm On Dec 18, 2006
Donzman:

Joke Silve and Olu Jacobs?, I give him Pete Edochie, Amaka Igwe, Hilda Dokubo, Alex Osifo.

Perhaps, if you start to list the International achievements of your own nominees, we can then begin to compare. For now, these couples remain incomparable to the guys you listed up there.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 19, 2006
@goodguy

Did I miss something here?, Where are these achievements you're claiming Orikinla listed? Seems like you're just willing to see facts where there aren't none. I could go to IMDB and pull up any petty actor's bio. and filmography, doesn't prove anything.

Here is Pete Edochie's:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1314200/

Here is Liz Benson's:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1229840/

Here is Nkem Owoh's:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1574483/

What does it prove?, Edochie is a better actor than Olu Jacobs, seems like you missed his performance in Things Fall Apart. That alone gives him a pass in my book.

Are those what you call facts of international accomplishment?, A simple filmography?
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 12:35pm On Dec 19, 2006
@Donzman

keep ranting without stoping. you are good at it and it is nice to see the whinning of a frustrated/tribal warlord contributor. let me remind you of the fact once more so as to know the ammount of whinning you still need to put in to calm your nerves- yoruba actors in nollywood whether acting in yoruba films or english are better than their igbo counterpacts!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 4:07pm On Dec 19, 2006
Donzman:

What are these facts you speak of?, Movie names? I can list Nollywood movies if you want some.

Comedians?, Igbos take the take EASILY. He can't find comedians to match Zebrudaya, Jegede, Clarus and Gringory. Funny how he completely neglected that post after making the comment that there are no Igbo comedians apart from Nkwm Owoh. Stand up?, I gave him Basketmouth, Juluis Agwu, Okey Bakassi, Funny how your "Mr Fact" never replied to those.

Are these the facts you speak of?, Maybe you should look up what facts are!

1.Amaka Igwe is a director and that's her title in Nollywood.
2. Chika Okpala a.k.a Zebrudaya hardly features in Nollywood movies
3. Claude Eke a.k.a Prince Jegede Shokoya of blessed memory did not fare much (if he ever did) in Nollywood before he died.
4.The other ones  like James Iroha (Gringory) have not made any mark in Nollywood.
5. Basketmouth is not known as a Nollywood actor, but as a stand up comic along with  Okey Bakasi and Julius Agwu. Julius Agwu has little or no time for Nollywood movies since his classic lead role in End of the River with Emeka Enyiocha. He makes more money than any of the highest paid Nollywood actors and actresses.

Hilda Dokubo my sister in-law is busy with us here in Niger Delta struggle as one of the leaders of the South-South Youth Assembly.

Alex Osifo will laugh at your ignorance, because he knows better.

Pete Edochie's Things Fall Apart was on TV and not film or video and he made Okonkwo at 18 to look like a 40 years old wrestler with pot-belly and all.
Emeka Enyiocha should be given the role in the remake.

Joke Silva, Olu Jacobs, Layi Ashadele, Wole Amele and others are proven professionals.  

On the poverty of many Nollywood actors and actresses:
Yes, it is true Jegede died and he died of from illness. He had diabetes. Perhaps if he had enough financial support, he would have cured himself and saved his life. The problem is that our people don’t know how to support the same artists who go through hardship trying to entertain them. It is sad. Our people have to form the habit of helping the artists to live a better life. Look at Clarus for instance. He is now blind from Glaucoma. No one can step up and help a man who served the public for thirty years. Some of us have been trying to get some people to help him but it has not been easy. The public doesn’t really care about entertainers. Everything should not be about money.
~ Chika Okpala

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Talking About Hollywood Moviestars Of Nigerian Origin / Davido: I Want Omashola To Win BBNaija. Tacha, Kim Oprah, Omashola My Friends / Photos From Big Brother Naija Saturday Night Party Week 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.