Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,955 members, 7,873,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:26 AM

Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? (61643 Views)

A Nairalander Wisdom Nwedene's Outfit To Jehovah's Witnesses Convention In Enugu / Ghanaian Man Chases Jehovah's Witnesses Out Of His House By Stripping Unclad / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by psalmsjob: 2:17pm On Dec 25, 2016
gagewonda:
even at that we still will neva get d precise date Jesus Christ was born...december 25th isn't d proven date...its just a date set aside to mark His birth...we shldnt be arguing about dates bt we shld b soberly reflecting on d righteousness of d man Jesus nd how we can be like him

That sober reflection is better gotten from His death and resurrection, that is why he expressly said we should remember Him by so doing and the Bible also said some where that: "Better is the end of a thing than its beginning"

The devil is a very crafty spirit that needs to be resisted and not given any footholds in our Christian faith because it spreads like cancer. It begins with words like: "even at that", "shall not surely die but have knowledge of good and evil", "if you are the son of God".

What is bad is bad no other word for it. As long as there is no mention of celebrating Christmas in the Bible then as Bible believing Christians we should not be celebrating it. This is one of the customs and traditions of men just as the Pharisees of Jesus's time were observing that Jesus condemned.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by entrepreneurmic: 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
rickyrex:
Child birth brings happiness to every family...even the non delivers still share in the birth of christ.. The truth is that jahova witness has no tangible reason to justify why they don't celebrate xmas.. But they do wedding and merry over it. If we can mark his death we should also mark his birth
IS DAT WHAT JESUS TOLD U TO REMEMBER? EVEN JESUS DID NOT CELEBRATE HIS BIRTH. PLS READ YOUR BIBLE.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by tete7000(m): 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
obankie:
A very good write-up.

Let me share this with you, I know the year I was born but don't know month and day because I never grow up with my parent.

So, I choose my second name to form my birthday (Augustine = Aug 16), so celebrate my birthday every 16th August.

Jesus birth was not recorded, but we choose to celebrate his birth on this day.

In all, the question is "DO YOU PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH?"

Do you mind them. How does the day supersede the event? What does it matter when you celebrate what?

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by princetom1(m): 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
almarthins:

Jesus wasnt born on the 25th of DEC. Deeperlife general supretendent said Xmas celebration has pagan origin. Which is why their convention or retreat program always coincide with the date

Lmfaooo....

Dude, like seriously? Have u noted those who comment here? They dont follow, my pastor said, but with proof from the bible. And its a known fact 100% Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25, can u please go ask ur supreintendant where he saw Jesus born on Dec 25...? grin
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by tete7000(m): 2:25pm On Dec 25, 2016
princetom1:

tongue , no point, u could have just given fact, those arent fact, just hearsay... i give up

Oga I am not basing anything on hearsay. Those are JW's perspectives. For your information, I have a lot of their literature with me and I read all because I read a lot. I read anything just to know. So if you don't know, stay off.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by entrepreneurmic: 2:26pm On Dec 25, 2016
martineverest:
their reason is genuine....christmas is idolatory
ON POINT MY FRIEND, BUT D TRUTH IS BITTER 2 THOSE WHO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by Gofwane(m): 2:27pm On Dec 25, 2016
urCreator:

Just practice what you believe in.

... So far you are not doing anything illegal or hurting anyone.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by entrepreneurmic: 2:36pm On Dec 25, 2016
sabi99:
Ds people sef. They don't celebrate xmas because its origin is rooted in paganism y then do they engage in olympics and other indoor/outdoor sporting activities because its origin is rooted in paganism too. The olympic games originated from ancient greece and they perform it in the honor of their god zeus. So they should stop watching and engaging in anything olympics cos of its origin.
JW DOES NOT GET INVOLVE IN OLYMPICS GAMES.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by gagewonda(m): 2:36pm On Dec 25, 2016
princetom1:

Am sure u know d answer, but wait o, wetin u see for d lady? She must be damn good u wish and wish... grin
Let me look for a lady to answer u again .... wink
cc: ajebuter

Modified:
JW follow principles as laid down in d bible, u could be a good person but wat guides u? Alot of good people doesn't see anything wrong in premarital sex, too much alcohol, partying day and night, cheating, bla bla bla... i haven't answered u o, someone else who is a Lady will
lolz no lies sha ....she was gud

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by grandstar(m): 2:36pm On Dec 25, 2016
davide470:
Sigh!

The point is, instead of allowing people celebrate a Pagan god, as we all know Jesus wasn't born on a Dec. 25th, why not overide it with his birthday, thereby technically fading off the pagan's religion.

All these factions here and there. I can't wait for Jesus to come back sef, then we will all know who is correct grin

They don't celebrate it. Mind your tone, boy

The Israelites overrode a pagan festival in the wilderness as one to Jehovah. They consequences were sad (Exodus 32:1-5)

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by entrepreneurmic: 2:42pm On Dec 25, 2016
careytommy7:
notice the people saying the best Christians are Jehovah witnesses are not even Christians?
some are atheists (satanist actually)

JWs are the worst hypocrites. Even worse than muslims.
Fornication is encouraged provided it is within
CHAIRMAN, WHY U THEY LIE LIKE SMALL PINKIN NA?

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by gagewonda(m): 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2016
psalmsjob:

That sober reflection is better gotten from His death and resurrection, that is why he expressly said we should remember Him by so doing and the Bible also said some where that: "Better is the end of a thing than its beginning"

The devil is a very crafty spirit that needs to be resisted and not given any footholds in our Christian faith because it spreads like cancer. It begins with words like: "even at that", "shall not surely die but have knowledge of good and evil", "if you are the son of God".

What is bad is bad no other word for it. As long as there is no mention of celebrating Christmas in the Bible then as Bible believing Christians we should not be celebrating it. This is one of the customs and traditions of men just as the Pharisees of Jesus's time were observing that Jesus condemned.
did d bible also instructed us to celebrate new year day,anniversaries, national holidays, independence day etc..? also d bible instructed us to rest on d sabbath day y den do u guys go about preaching on d sabbath day? pls Note : im nt a believer in dat bt some people do....so u see we cannot be 100% jw shld stop pretending to be
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by Ukpafi: 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2016
I support the witnesses because I have flipped through Genesis to Revelation and I have not seen any place that say Jesus was born in December 25th, and Jesus himself didn't cerebrate his birth day, no proof to show that his Apostle did so, .

from the history it shows the 25th December every year was cerebrated by pagan nations, so what should Christian to cerebrate pagan worship?
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by princetom1(m): 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2016
gagewonda:
lolz no lies sha ....she was gud

So, u labeled jws hypocrites, bcoz of a lady u fell for? Hmnnnn dia is God o. Jokes apart now, its all in ur head, u cant picture urself becoming a jw and u want that jw material as wife. Ogaooooo
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 25, 2016
EdoNation:

WE DO NOT CARE!!!!!

Why do you Christians like to borrow so much from pagan customs and traditions? Don't you have your own?
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by princetom1(m): 2:49pm On Dec 25, 2016
tete7000:

Oga I am not basing anything on hearsay. Those are JW's perspectives. For your information, I have a lot of their literature with me and I read all because I read a lot. I read anything just to know. So if you don't know, stay off.

No o, they arent jw perspective o, its just a perspective of someone who is critisizing without facts
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by gagewonda(m): 3:01pm On Dec 25, 2016
princetom1:

So, u labeled jws hypocrites, bcoz of a lady u fell for? Hmnnnn dia is God o. Jokes apart now, its all in ur head, u cant picture urself becoming a jw and u want that jw material as wife. Ogaooooo
naaah bro u r getting me wrong if u read my earlier posts u will see where i said i got close to dem nd almost joined dem...yes she was instrumental in all of it bt i took time to study der ways nd alot was revealed dat i cannot be typing here pls...my findings made me realise its just a cult coated wit christianity....christianity cannot be operated in a cult manner its open to all....not riding under d dictates of some free masons called governing council nd dishing out contradictory lights nd blindfold der followers wit d line' the light gets brighter' i asked my ex den nd im asking u now .....if a light is giving today 25th dec. 2016 nd all jw adheres to it nd by 2018 ders a modification to dat light. Do u agree wit me it means u were adhering to a wrong practice all through 2016 to 2018? Nd wat makes u feel dat same new light is even error free?..... see no doctrine is 100% human proof it is always wat d rulers or propagators of d doctrine feel is right dat dey preach nd der understanding of d bible is only d amount of revelation dey can get nd Jw is no exception

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by DASPARTAN: 3:06pm On Dec 25, 2016
[quote author=davide470 post=52242380]Sigh!

The point is, instead of allowing people celebrate a Pagan god, as we all know Jesus wasn't born on a Dec. 25th. MY VERDICT IS HOW THEN DO U HAVE A BIRTH CERTIFICATE, AND U DO OWN A FIGURE AS A 'AGE'??
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by DASPARTAN: 3:06pm On Dec 25, 2016
davide470:
Sigh!

The point is, instead of allowing people celebrate a Pagan god, as we all know Jesus wasn't born on a Dec. 25th, why not overide it with his birthday, thereby technically fading off the pagan's religion.

All these factions here and there. I can't wait for Jesus to come back sef, then we will all know who is correct grin

They don't celebrate it. Mind your tone, boy
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by kogistar: 3:09pm On Dec 25, 2016
degemstone:
Jehovah witness are the best form of Christianity to me. i love the way they approach people and the way they talk about the kingdom of God.
JW doesn't believe that Jesus is coming bck again.
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by holluphemydavid(m): 3:10pm On Dec 25, 2016
Memphis357:
It will still make fp come December 25th 2017.
Totally agreed with u
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by DASPARTAN: 3:13pm On Dec 25, 2016
[quote author=Ukpafi post=52246383] I support the witnesses because I have flipped through Genesis to Revelation and I have not seen any place that say Jesus was born in December 25th, and Jesus himself didn't WHAT IS 'cerebrate'? JESUS NAH CEREB?
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by NLEFCC(m): 3:14pm On Dec 25, 2016
ajebuter:
Proudly JW....
You can say that again...
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by ezechinwa2: 3:15pm On Dec 25, 2016
Browsenigeria:
Common misconceptions
Myth: The reason why Jehovah’s Witnesses do not celebrate Christmas is that they do not believe in Jesus.

Fact: We are Christians. We believe that salvation comes only through Jesus Christ.—Acts 4:12.

Myth: You divide families by teaching members not to celebrate Christmas.

Fact: We care deeply about families, and we use the Bible to help build stronger families.

Myth: You miss out on the “Christmas spirit” of generosity, peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.

Fact: We strive to be generous and peaceable every day. (Proverbs 11:25; Romans 12:18) For example, the way we conduct our meetings and preach is in harmony with Jesus’ instruction: “You received free, give free.” (Matthew 10:cool In addition, we direct attention to God’s Kingdom as the true hope for peace on earth.—Matthew 10:7.

Why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses celebrate Christmas?
Jesus commanded that we commemorate his death, not his birth.—Luke 22:19, 20.
Jesus’ apostles and early disciples did not celebrate Christmas. The New Catholic Encyclopedia says that “the Nativity feast was instituted no earlier than 243 [C.E.],” more than a century after the last of the apostles died.
There is no proof that Jesus was born on December 25; his birth date is not recorded in the Bible.
We believe that Christmas is not approved by God because it is rooted in pagan customs and rites.—2 Corinthians 6:17.
Why make Christmas an issue?
Many still celebrate Christmas despite knowing about its pagan roots and lack of support from the Bible. Such persons could ask: Why should Christians take such an unpopular stance? Why make it an issue?

The Bible encourages us to think for ourselves, to use our “power of reason.” (Romans 12:1, 2) It teaches us to value the truth. (John 4:23, 24) So while we are interested in how others view us, we adhere to Bible principles even if it means that we become unpopular.

Although we choose not to celebrate Christmas ourselves, we respect each person’s right to decide for himself in this matter. We do not interfere in the Christmas celebrations of others.

With all these diversities in Christianity, my question is which is the true religion? Dont tell me that we share a common goal despite our differences because we all have different doctoring, the Catholic have a different opinion,, JW have a different opinion, Cherubim and seraph have a different doctoring etc.
Sometimes we feel ours is the best cause that's the one we choose or we are born into.

This is important because it's like on earth we are reading different books rather than the reading the exert book.. You know what happens when your preparing for maths and your given chemistry!
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by noucompact(m): 3:16pm On Dec 25, 2016
[quote author=efilefun post=52242374]Alot of people dont even know the root of christmas and dont care to make research.... as long as their pastor aint against it, no wahala

Exactly.... but unfortunately they've been painted otherwise. I AM ONE OF JW. AND I STRONGLY CONCOR TO THAT POST
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 25, 2016
...there was joy in heaven,angels celebrated the birth,magi from d east came bearing gifts wch were accepted; the 1st nativity....ts not in d culture of jews to celebrate their bdays,its not recorded in the Bible that God forbids celebrating ones bday either so take a chill pill n rejoice wt heaven

2 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by divineshare(m): 3:17pm On Dec 25, 2016
Jesus was born, 25th of December is unified date for celebration regardless of when He was actually born.

It is a good thing if Christmas replaced a pegan ceremony rather than the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 25, 2016
Sunnah1:
I smell lie here
Oya. haters on your marks. start
Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 25, 2016
divineshare:
Jesus was born, 25th of December is unified date for celebration regardless of when He was actually born.

It is a good thing if Christmas replaced a pegan ceremony rather than the other way round.

OK. Good Human wisdom and ideology. We are together like Dimka

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by gagewonda(m): 3:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
Oktoberfest:
...there was joy in heaven,angels celebrated the birth,magi from d east came bearing gifts wch were accepted; the 1st nativity....ts not in d culture of jews to celebrate their bdays,its not recorded in the Bible that God forbids celebrating ones bday either so take a chill pill n rejoice wt heaven
God bless u for dis....if we d followers of Jesus christ choose to set a date aside to mark his birth who dare say its a sin to do dat

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas? by bengoodcreature: 3:25pm On Dec 25, 2016
If Jesus was not born on Dec 25, when then was He born? Or was Jesus not born as in Isaiah 9:6 and Matthew 1:21-25, check those people that are condemning Christmas, they use to celebrate their own birthdays oo, how much more Jesus, I think Jesus deserve to be celebrated, cs He even deserve more than that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Donates His Family House To Christ Embassy, Family About To Be Thrown Out / "Female Medical Student Delivered From Stealing & Masturbation By TB Joshua" / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.