Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,350 members, 7,888,119 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:51 PM

Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign (22832 Views)

Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily / Breaking: Jonathan Comes For Jega, As Private Military Men Invade ICC / As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 10:49pm On Nov 28, 2009
illusion2:

Not really,the VP in most democracies(even in the US) is a glorified houseboy. Even the chief of staff holds more 'power'.

That one na big lie!!! The last VP was definitely VOCAL.
But can we stick to Nigerian Examples. Do you remember Atiku, Idiaghon – VPS --- that did all they could to steal some thunder from their president.

illusion2:

He did not appoint the service chief,ministers,parastatal heads etc. And because ,our 'democracy' is still shaky,people won't automatically defer to him as they should in the absence of the president. . . I daresay ,ministers may even give Turai official briefings instead. And thats why Jonathan needs to work at the necessary reforms asap !
He did not appoint them? How do you know he  even disagreed in any way with the appointments? Come on!! Keep Turai out of this please cause I don’t believe a whole VP can be shut up by a woman, in Nigeria, and not say a single thing about it.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2009
SapeleGuy:

kobojunkie,
Jonathan tolerates Yar adua and vice versa - This is evidenced by the latters refusal to hand power to Jonathan in the past even whilst on his sickbed.

NO IT IS NOT. NO such evidence can be pulled in the manner that you have above. If all he has to offer us as excuse for his INACTION is that he tolerates then he is ABSOLUTELY not fit for the job, simple. Unless you have some serious evidence to back up the connection to make to his inaction and yar adua's refusal to hand power over to him, then I suggest we stick to what we really know please.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Nchara: 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2009
illusion2:

Donald Duke in 8 years vs Fashola in 2.5 years ? haba !

C/river with 2 million(mainly 2 tribes) vs Lagos with 17 million(with almost all tribes in at least their thousands?) .

Lets always leave sentiments & face facts. The thread is about Jonathan resigning,you can start another one titled Duke vs Fashola

Cross River has more than 10 tribes. Go to the North of that state and see things for yourself. I think we are giving Turai to much credit and Jonathan is definitely under-rated. Let it be known that Yaradua is really incapable and you will see Jonathan's real self.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by KnowAll(m): 10:54pm On Nov 28, 2009
We should not underestimate the power of Good-luck, all those hoodlums collecting 65,000 a month are under him. He might not have the conventional armed forces under him at the moment, he has his own de-facto force that could make the country ungovernable for any goverment in Abuja.

If u cannot dig the black gold from the ground how will the goons in Abuja eat. It is then one will realise that Abuja is a peniless town tied by an umbilical cord to the oil in the South-South.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by SapeleGuy: 11:02pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

NO IT IS NOT. NO such evidence can be pulled in the manner that you have above. If all he has to offer us as excuse for his INACTION is that he tolerates then he is ABSOLUTELY not fit for the job, simple.  Unless you have some serious evidence to back up the connection to make to his inaction and yar adua's refusal to hand power over to him, then I suggest we stick to what we really know please.

My friend write betta ting - Please give me 3 example of vices anywhere in the world who have overruled the president. I will start you with Reagan & Bush. In answering please tell us the ministerial portfolio the vice is responsible for. All vices live to deputise.

Knowall - Thank you. This is the point I was trying to make to Sjeezy, we are all equal, population without economic leverage is worse than useless.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by illusion2: 11:06pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That one na big lie!!! The last VP was definitely VOCAL.
But can we stick to Nigerian Examples. Do you remember Atiku, Idiaghon – VPS --- that did all they could to steal some thunder from their president.
He did not appoint them? How do you know he even disagreed in any way with the appointments? Come on!! Keep Turai out of this please cause I don’t believe a whole VP can be shut up by a woman, in Nigeria, and not say a single thing about it.

What has VOCAL got to do with it? Are you talking about Atiku ,that OBJ fired all his personal staff? Idiagbon was a military 'VP' & dats a different case cos he & Buhari arranged their coup.

But don't lets digress-Are you really saying you don't believe Tural potentially wields more power than Goodluck? Then you are probably not up to date with Nigerian politics. The fact remains that currently we don't have a system,& thats why we are all concerned that all hell might break lose if Yar'Adull passes on.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by lannre(m): 11:10pm On Nov 28, 2009
somewhere,somehow Nigeria is a Charly Boy SHOW "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN" lets wait and watch.it may go beyond those calculations
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by illusion2: 11:20pm On Nov 28, 2009
KnowAll:

We should not underestimate the power of Good-luck, all those hoodlums collecting 65,000 a month are under him. He might not have the conventional armed forces under him at the moment, he has his own de-facto force that could make the country ungovernable for any goverment in Abuja.

If u cannot dig the black gold from the ground how will the goons in Abuja eat. It is then one will realise that Abuja is a peniless town tied by an umbilical cord to the oil in the South-South.

Your second point I agree with. . . however those 'hoodlums' are loyal to their pockets & not Goodluck tongue
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 11:22pm On Nov 28, 2009
illusion2:

What has VOCAL got to do with it? Are you talking about Atiku ,that OBJ fired all his personal staff? Idiagbon was a military 'VP' & dats a different case cos he & Buhari arranged their coup.

But don't lets digress-Are you really saying you don't believe Tural potentially wields more power than Goodluck? Then you are probably not up to date with Nigerian politics. The fact remains that currently we don't have a system,& thats why we are all concerned that all hell might break lose if Yar'Adull passes on.

I am saying YES, I do not buy the argument that Turai (a ceremonial first lady) wields more power than a Vice President does, not according to the present constitution. No that sort of excuse cannot be presented for not calling for his resignation, along with that of his boss. I don’t need to be up to date with the latest GOSSIP wire to know that.
His passivity cannot be excused away. The man has no way made us know he even objects to most of what this administration has done. He is not a man in chains, nor is he a hostage of any sort. He could easily have used his office to pursue the cause of his own tribe but he has done next to nothing of the sort of over two years in office. He has shown himself an INCOMPETENT leader and a call for him to as well resign is not out of the question.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by illusion2: 11:29pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am saying YES, I do not buy the argument that Turai (a ceremonial first lady) wields more power than a Vice President does
You have spent too much time abroad. . . . ,   cheesy

We are talking about a country

Where you don't have to be a candidate to win an election.

Where election results are WRITTEN ,people don't even bother to do multiple ballot stamping.

Where the chief law officer gets murdered in cold blood & nothing has up till now come out of it. . . .

You have really good visions of Nigeria,unfortunately we aren't there yet !
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 11:29pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am saying YES, I do not buy the argument that Turai (a ceremonial first lady) wields more power than a Vice President does, not according to the present constitution. No that sort of excuse cannot be presented for not calling for his resignation, along with that of his boss. I don’t need to be up to date with the latest GOSSIP wire to know that.

It is not about the constituition, but the reality on the ground. Goodluck Jonathan has never been given the chance to even deputise when Yar Adua is ill and out of the country, except on this occassion and only (as rumours would have it), because the president might be on life support http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/TON/Article.aspx?id=2307.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Nov 28, 2009
illusion2:

You have spent too much time abroad. . . . , cheesy

Or maybe it is simply the case that you spend way too much time listening to meaningless GOSSIP that ought not to even matter when it comes to your assessment of the ability of those you have as leaders?
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 11:33pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

. . .
His passivity cannot be excused away. The man has no way made us know he even objects to most of what this administration has done. He is not a man in chains, nor is he a hostage of any sort. He could easily have used his office to pursue the cause of his own tribe but he has done next to nothing of the sort of over two years in office. He has shown himself an INCOMPETENT leader and a call for him to as well resign is not out of the question.

Did you really say that? Come on man, thats really really laughable, as every ND person knows.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by illusion2: 11:36pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Or maybe it is simply the case that you spend way too much time listening to meaningless GOSSIP that ought not to even matter when it comes to your assessment of the ability of those you have as leaders?
Read my update above.Also please note : I don't read,listen or discuss GOSSIP !

Lets be clear of our disagreement cos no one is talking about ability of anyone
Kobo: Turai cannot possibly be more influential than the VP Goodluck

illusion: In the current set-up,Turai is probably more influential than Goodluck
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Nov 28, 2009
illusion2:

Read my update above.Also please note : I don't read,listen or discuss GOSSIP !

Lets be clear of our disagreement cos no one is talking about ability of anyone
Kobo: Turai cannot possibly be more influential than the VP Goodluck

illusion: In the current set-up,Turai is probably more influential than Goodluck

NOPE!! Not according to your constitution!
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

Did you really say that? Come on man, thats really really laughable, as every ND person knows.

I stand by what I said.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by illusion2: 11:43pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I stand by what I said.
What I pray you are the direct responsibilities of the VP in our constitution?
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 11:44pm On Nov 28, 2009
Jonathan is currently the VP regardless of what we think about his fitness. The two quotes below are the things that should be concerning us. They throw our countries state of affairs into stack perspective.

”They are saying that it is the only way to preserve the peace and unity of the country. The North would not accept a Southern President so soon after former President Olusegun Obasanjo and that the powerful elements in the region believe that the former President set up the North. They believe that Obasanjo knew that Yar‘Adua was too ill to complete his term, so he foisted him on the region so that power would return to the South.”

Also on Friday, sources told Saturday Punch that the Vice President had summoned an emergency meeting of Ijaw leaders to deliberate on what his response to the pressure should be. Leaders of the Ijaw National Congress, the umbrella body of the VP‘s Ijaw ethnic group in the Niger Delta, were said to have been invited for a closed door meeting with the VP to deliberate on the issue.

Meanwhile, the President of the Ijaw Monitoring Group, Mr. Joseph Evah, who acknowledged that Jonathan was under some form of pressure, has warned politicians not to frustrate Jonathan out of office.

He challenged those involved in the project to join Nigerians to pray for the health of the President who according to him, would survive the current health challenge.

He said that a group had claimed before that they might give Jonathan the treatment they gave to the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 Presidential election, Chief Moshood Abiola or Chief Ernest Shonekan, who was compelled to hand over power to General Sani Abacha.

He warned that the people of the Niger Delta and the Nigerian people would not fold their arms to watch people perpetrate heinous illegality.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 11:56pm On Nov 28, 2009

[size=14pt]Oath of Office of Vice-President, Deputy Governor, Minister, Commissioner or Special Adviser[/size]

[size=13pt]I, , do solemnly swear/affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that as Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria/Deputy Governor of , State/Minister of the Government of the Federation/Commissioner of the Government , State/Special Adviser to , , I will discharge my duties to the best of my ability, faithfully and in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the law, and always in the interest of the sovereignty, integrity, solidarity, well-being and prosperity of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will strive to preserve the Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy contained in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will not allow my personal interest to influence my official conduct or my official decisions, that I will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that I will abide by the Code of Conduct contained in the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; that in all circumstances, I will do right to all manner of people, according to law, without fear or favour, affection or ill-will; that I will not directly or indirectly communicate or reveal to any person any matter which shall be brought under my consideration or shall become known to me as Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria/Deputy Governor of , State/Minister of the Government of the Federation/Commissioner of , State/Special Adviser to , except as may be required for the due discharge of my duties as Vice President/Deputy Governor of , State/Minister/Commissioner/Special Adviser. [/size]

So help me God.

Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by SapeleGuy: 12:06am On Nov 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I stand by what I said.

Before you take such an inflexible stand you need to fully understand the role of the VP (90% cosmetic), The Federal Executive Council (66% can force the President to have a medical) and both houses of assembly (who can impeach the president). To put things in context the VP can't sack any minister.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 12:11am On Nov 29, 2009
I'm at a loss as to why the oath was posted. Does it explain the constituitional writ (where the president in incapable) or the VP's day to day duties duties?
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:13am On Nov 29, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Before you take such an inflexible stand you need to fully understand the role of the VP (90% cosmetic), The Federal Executive Council (66% can force the President to have a medical) and both houses of assembly (who can impeach the president). To put things in context the VP can't sack any minister.

Not certain if anyone has called on him to sack anyone. That is not ALL he could actually do as a Vice president. We sat through Atiku's time as VP and everyone heard him and saw him act, even against his own President.  By the way, Jonathan seems to stand hand in hand with Yar adua on so many things, if not all.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:14am On Nov 29, 2009
[size=14pt]Nigeria's hospitalised president is okay: vice president[/size]

ABUJA (AFP) – Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua, undergoing treatment for a heart condition in Saudi Arabia, is doing fine, his deputy said on Friday.

"There are some rumours ,  but let me assure Nigerians that the President is okay," Vice President Goodluck Jonathan told Nigerian Muslim clerics who visited him after saying special Eid prayers.

Yar'Adua is hospitalised at King Faisal hospital in Jeddah for acute pericarditis, inflammation of the membrane covering the heart.

Yar'Adua left Abuja on Monday night for Jeddah but on Wednesday rumours spread in Nigeria and Saudi Arabia that he had slipped into a coma or had died.

On Thursday and for the first time, his office publicly stated his ailment.

Jonathan said he was in constant touch with Yar'Adua by phone from his hospital bed.

"We spoke yesterday (Thursday) and even this morning," said Jonathan. "After this time I will speak with him again".

"So discountenance any form of false rumours being spread by mischievous characters in this country," he added.

Presidential spokesman Olusegun Adeniyi told reporters Thursday that Yar'Adua "was aware of the rumours and he felt very bad about it like any other normal being will feel."

Asked when the President was expected to return, Adeniyi said: "As of now, I don't know. I will give an update on the situation".

The condition of Yar'Adua, 58, had until now been cloaked in an official veil of secrecy.

He is widely believed to have a history of kidney-related disease for which he has previously received hospital treatment in both Germany and Saudi Arabia.

Yar'Adua was dogged by ill-health even during the election campaign that brought him to power in 2007.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 12:16am On Nov 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Not certain if anyone has called on him to sack anyone. That is not ALL he could actually do as a Vice president. We sat through Atiku's time as VP and everyone heard him and saw him act, even against his own President.  By the way, Jonathan seems to stand hand in hand with Yar adua on so many things, it seems.

Atiku is from the "kingmaker" Hausa/Fulani, Jonathan is from a minority ethnic group.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:16am On Nov 29, 2009
Beaf:

Atiku is from the "kingmaker" Hausa/Fulani, Jonathan is from a minority ethnic group.

That excuse really makes sense to you?
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 12:19am On Nov 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That excuse really makes sense to you?

Did I make it out as an excuse? It is the obvious.

What was the reason why you posted the oath?
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:21am On Nov 29, 2009
Beaf:

Did I make it out as an excuse? It is the obvious.

What was the reason why you posted the oath?

YES YOU DID!

I posted that so we can all be sure to understand that he did take an OATH To do all he can in the INTEREST of the PEOPLE, not for Yar Adua Or for Turai, or for some "imagined" cabal.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by ezeagu(m): 12:24am On Nov 29, 2009
Block head. grin
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by SapeleGuy: 12:28am On Nov 29, 2009
Kobojunkie - so Atiku is your model VP.
What did Atiku do except wrongly say that it was his turn. If Yaradua does not resign or is impeached then there is nothing Jonathan can do. Simple.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Beaf: 12:28am On Nov 29, 2009
There can't be anything more obvious than "Atiku is from the "kingmaker" Hausa/Fulani, Jonathan is from a minority ethnic group". Atiku is Fulani and Jonathan is Ijaw, plain as daylight.

Yes Goodluck Jonathan took an oath to act in the interest of the people, but that oath does not set out how he should fulfil his roll. Rather, his role is set out in the constituition, not in any oath he took. If you think he is a figurehead only, you've got to prove it from the constituition.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:32am On Nov 29, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Kobojunkie - so Atiku is your model VP.
What did Atiku do except wrongly say that it was his turn. If Yaradua does not resign or is impeached then there is nothing Jonathan can do. Simple.

No need to try to evade the point. You and I know that Jonathan has been a BRICK as vice-president compared to his predecessor.

I believe I have made it clear that knowing that Atiku, who held the same office before him, could boldly stand up on issues( no matter how wrong), means Jonathan could do same and even better. So far, he has done next to nothing to even show that he understands that this administration is considered to be in a coma. It cannot be argued that he even cares considering, he has yet to seriously express disdain for any of the administration’s policies or approach to dealing with the country.
Re: Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign by illusion2: 12:36am On Nov 29, 2009
Kobo,The Oath isn't the constitution. According to the constitution the VP takes up responsibility assigned to him/her by the president.

If the president instructs the minister of defence to pass relevant info to him through his wife. . .dat is what will happen.
Kobojunkie:

I posted that so we can all be sure to understand that he did take an OATH To do all he can in the INTEREST of the PEOPLE, not for Yar Adua Or for Turai, or for some "imagined" cabal.
So what if he took the oath This is why everyone laughs at your naivete,you come up with these grand illusions about nigeria. . . .we're just a few metres from being a failed state,what part of that don't you understand??  

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Tinubu Continues Consultations, Meets Atiku Bagudu / Kwankwaso And I Sold Gov’t Houses, Ganduje Replies Abba Gida-gida / Mbah Sets Heavy Security Presence In Enugu Ahead Of Ekpa’s 2-Week Sit-At-Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.