Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,282 members, 7,881,053 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:33 AM

The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds (15435 Views)

The Enduring Legacies Of A Seasoned Parliamentarian, Davematics David E Ombugadu / Navy's 'Operation Octopus Grip' In Bayelsa, Delta Set To Be Launched / Breaking! Nigerians Voted On Igbo Presidency In 2019. See Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Kingspin(m): 10:44am On Feb 11, 2017
In Nigeria people can write history to suit their hearing and public. The day Christian defeat themselves someone somewhere will write another history. Until every part of Nigeria is brought under one constitution of same justice, fairness and equity for all no developmental peace will exit in Nigeria.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by TheSociopath(m): 11:36am On Feb 11, 2017
Lionize:
@ TheSociopath
I am sure you'll cry fowl if your business partner implements only 80% of an agreement with you, especially when the other 20% was meant to favour you. That old professor in your imagination is not really intellectually sound. I thought you had something else to say other than 80% of the accord 'about being' implemented in decree 8. Please spare me that. On Aburi we stand!

You're saying Ojukwu wasnt diplomatic enough to get his wishes through other means other than declaring the state of Biafra? Forget it! Ojukwu was after his selfish interest and not for the liberation of the Igbos. The Igbos were doing very well before the civil war and were heading many government parastatals. He has indeed set the Igbos back a 100 years

5 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Etogist: 11:54am On Feb 11, 2017
A hood does not make a Monk, so changing your name can never make u a Biafran. And please next time you change your Afonja name don't use Tochukwu because that is my name. Thank you.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Bujumbura(m): 12:58pm On Feb 11, 2017
cheruv:

I nwere ike iziterem link eri ahu kam hu nwa o bu?
O bu nwa Igbo ka o choro ilu? O gābu ihnye mere mmo o nēduzi ndi Igbo ji ria elu grin
It's been long. He deactivated the handle after it was banned
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by stonemasonn: 12:59pm On Feb 11, 2017
TheSociopath:
The enduring grip of historical falsehoods on Igbo minds continues to poison both Igbo culture and psyche.

BY TOCHUKWU EZUKANMA FEB 06, 2017

This will enable us to realize that our problems stemmed not from the hatred and wicked machination of the Hausa, Yoruba and other ethnic groups of Nigeria, but from repeated political blunders of Igbo leaders, especially, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2017/02/06/misinformation-continues-poison-our-minds-tochukwu-ezukanma
Ojukwu was under pressure from kinsmen to lead the secession war.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by zendy: 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nowenuse:

You see where you guys missed the whole thing.
How did Scotland (Britain), Catalonia (Spain) or Quebec (Canada) ever got a referendum to vote in order to leave their countries? It was never due to the number of protests they carried out or the number of faceless people crying CHUKU OKIKIA OBIMA. LOL

The bills for seccession and right to referendum were argued and passed by Scottish, Catalonian and Quebecois lawmakers in British, Spanish and Canadian parliaments before these govts could take them any serious.
I take it that i am really speaking with ignorant dummies.

Sorry bro, but there is no law on secession passed in any of these countries you mentioned. I challenge you to post a link that shows Canada, Spain or Britain having secession anywhere in their constitution.

As for 'right of referendum', many countries routinely conduct referendum. A few years ago, New Zealand conducted a referendum about changing their national flag, Slovakia conducted a referendum on increasing Tax, Britain conducted a referendum on the EU. Even in Nigeria, parts of present day Adamawa state became part of Nigeria through a referendum conducted in 1961.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nowenuse:
Igbophobic? And how do u know that am not from Anioma, Ikwerre, Etche, Ekpeye e.t.c?
See this one talking as if it is not these groups of people i am living with in Delta state, winning and dinning with, and hardly do u even see any of them talk about Igbo agenda.
You can never see an Ika, Ukwuani, Anochia or Ikwerre person carry Igbo matter for head. Hardly! Cos most do not even believe they are Igbos.
Let's watch na, it's no more Biafra, it's now 'Oke alozie oheze'. LoLL....continous clowns. Which would it be next?

LWKMD!! cheesy ROFLMAO! grin See finishing...guy, you for pity am small, nah! wink

3 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2017
Ah yes, I just remembered this excerpt from the old Vanguard Newspaper someone brought to my attention. It is a pity, that most people do not talk about this aspect of the post-civil war efforts.

Awolowo and the forgotten documents of the civil war, by Odia Ofeimun | Vanguard Newspapers | November 17th 2012 |

... . Biafra lost much international support, except for the sentimentality of Caritas, when it was discovered, and discussed across the world, that the General of the People’s Army was engaged in unethical profiling of starving children in order to attract international sympathy.

In his letter of resignation from his $400,000 contract and his post as Public Relations Representative of Biafra in the United States, Robert S. Goldstein, who had helped to build up much international concern for Biafra wrote to the Biafran Commander in chief as follows: “It is inconceivable to me that you would stop the feeding of thousands of your countrymen (under auspices of world organizations such as the International Red cross, world council of churches and many more) via a land corridor which is the only practical way to bring in food to help at this time………..I cannot serve you any longer. Nor can I be party to suppressing the fact that your starving thousands have the food, medicine and milk available to them….it can and is ready to be delivered through international organizations to you. Only your constant refusal has stopped its delivery.”

... For that matter, the reverse side of the Biafran charge of genocide against the Federal side is that the charge can be firmly and rigorously laid that Biafra sent people into combat who had no weapons to fight in a real war. And there was a vast civilian population whose food needs were not considered an issue either in the initial promotion of war frenzy or in the course of the war. Those who continue to trip on the propaganda of war, and are probably hoping that they would be given food stamps and reliefs if they manage to plunge Nigeria into another war with their unthinking actions, need to be told that it will not be called a war if one side must feed the other side....

.... After the war, there was clearly more than a silver lining which ought to be acknowledged even in the face of the harsh circumstances that existed. It is in the fact declared by SG Ikoku, the Commissioner for Economic Development in East Central State in the Daily Times of May 22, 1971 that “the Federal Government had made available 21.505 million pounds grant and 10.620 million as advances and loans. It was part of the accumulated amounts saved for the East Central State during the war by Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the Commissioner for Finance and Vice Chairman of the Federal Executive Council, on the basis of population distribution of revenue.

No one, these days, is ever allowed to know this little matter even if the point is to show how well those who wanted the Biafrans dead followed the financial regulations that guided the Federation and so kept what was due to the East in reserve for them till they returned to the fold.

....This is not even to ask about how the money was actually spent, which I am sure must be blamed on those who had saved the money. Besides, there really ought now to be a cross-check of Awolowo’s claim that he saved African Continental Bank post-haste in order to help shore up the economy of the East.

Or how quickly the Niger bridge was rebuilt, the cement factories rehabilitated and the African Development Bank cashiered into rehabilitation work with agricultural loans that Federal authorities had to look away from appraising on strict terms. Such things were left in the way that those who took monies from Biafra to buy food and ammunition but failed to deliver, have been forgotten with their loot of war.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/awolowo-and-the-forgotten-documents-of-the-civil-war4/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by hundredhundred: 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2017
StOla:

Those that have sea, have seaports like Apapa like Onne, like Calabar.

Ondo and Ogun with sea don't have seaport, so why is landlocked SouthEast complaining about seaport? Must you always associate the SE with the SS to have some legitimacy? Is the SE that irrelevant?
Can a castrated man complain about not having children?

Nigerians whose monies where taken in the East and in the banks in Benin by Biafra, did not get a penny from anyone. You should be happy that you even got something after forcing the country to fight a war that is not meant to be a cash crop precipitating economic growth. Besides you got all the allocations accrueable to the East after the war. The hated Awolowo ensured you did, and also credited the banks to ensure loans can be easily sourced to revive the economy of that region.

Any contraband would always be siezed and disposed of as the customs/government deem fit. No concessions would be made no matter the crocodile tears shed by the tribe committing the offence of criminal importation of goods. Or is contraband now know as Igbo goods? Or in typical victim-complex disorder, the contraband was targeted at Igbos?

Quota system and federal character is good. It ensures you don't cry like a baby when a greedy tribe like yours siezes power and behave like you did in the aftermath of independence with the NCNC providing the administrative resources in the alliance with NPC. You long for those days, but you killed it with your greed.

In one breath you canvassed for fair representation, but in another greedy Igbo breath you condemn quota system and federal character principle. You deceive no one, Igbo man.

Whether checkpoint or not, Igbos are still scared to return to their villages due to security issues. A US military veteran was only killed recently after returning home. Many who vow not to return home are of the opinion that the checkpoints are a necessity in the East. Besides, checkpoints are everywhere in Nigeria, so enough of the crocodile tears.

Igbos hated in Nigeria for nothing? It seems you didn't get the tribal memo that any Igbo man who has been welcomed in a community outside of his own, must then proceed to denigrate the culture, the people and their traditional authority and everything they hold dear and sacred.

Who can love such a creature?

3 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Nowenuse: 3:54pm On Feb 11, 2017
cheruv:

How do you expect our people to start discussing Igbo agenda with someone who's not Igbo Guy you're very funny oo. Delta is a heterogeneous state, so you don't expect an Anioma son who just met to start talking about something that'd potentially frighten you undecided
That's the main reason we're angling for an Anioma state.. Where we can feel free to talk and do anything we want to without harming the "feelings" of the other non Igboid tribes.
Moreover our kinsmen across the river has agreed to support us in our drive for Anioma state... So its just a matter of time before we get it.
Moreover stop denigrating what you don't know about... Kos that idea is even bigger than Nigeria itself. That's you wine and dine with someone doesn't mean you'd not harm them if given an opportunity.

Ok, i wish u guys success. Lets see how far u will go.
However, your people rejected d creation of Anioma state in the past claiming that u cannot let Onitsha go with Anioma people. I bet u guys are now hungry for Anioma people now but in life some things are too late.

Anyone talking abt state creation now is just fooling himself. Nigeria has no time for that now. Anioma ppl are not the only ones agitating for a state, there are up to 20 others.

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Nowenuse: 4:05pm On Feb 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude you're from the middle belt. I don't see why this issue even concerns you in the first place.

Yes, but i was born and bred in Delta state and grew up with these people. I know them like the back of my palms.
Any igbo man thinking he can ever get majority support from Anioma people on anything pro igbo is just deceiving himself. At least you can pull some of them from Anochia/Oshimili axis (like 50%). But when it goes to Ika/Ndokwa axis, you are on a long thing.

Personally, i used to see and adress Delta igbos as igbos in the past but as i grew up and made friends with more of them and understood them better, they kept rebuking n correcting me from adressing them as Igbos especially the Ikas n Ndokwas, so i had to oblige.

However, good luck to u guys as i told the other, since it's no longer Biafra. Just that you guys never give others the view of your seriousness and will always meet criticisms.

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by bigfrancis21: 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nowenuse:

Yes, but i was born and bred in Delta state and grew up with these people. I know them like the back of my palms.
Any igbo man thinking he can ever get majority support from Anioma people on anything pro igbo is just deceiving himself. At least you can pull some of them from Anochia/Oshimili axis (like 50%). But when it goes to Ika/Ndokwa axis, you are on a long thing.

Personally, i used to see and adress Delta igbos as igbos in the past but as i grew up and made friends with more of them and understood them better, they kept rebuking n correcting me from adressing them as Igbos especially the Ikas n Ndokwas, so i had to oblige.

However, good luck to u guys as i told the other, since it's no longer Biafra. Just that you guys never give others the view of your seriousness and will always meet criticisms.

We all know this, this is not news. Many Igbo deniers are in Delta state and Rivers state, and so? Not that I am supporting Biafra but 'Biafra' is not an Igbo movement (though it may seem like it because only the Igbos are currently agitating for it), as of 1967 it consisted of several other minority tribes. If they want, Igbo-speakers from Delta and Rivers state could join the movement and still maintain their separate identity. Not accepting being Igbo is an invalid argument about who would join or not.

Like I said, you should not even be on this thread carrying Anioma matter on your head like it concerns you.

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by cheruv: 7:05pm On Feb 11, 2017
Nowenuse:

Ok, i wish u guys success. Lets see how far u will go.
However, your people rejected d creation of Anioma state in the past claiming that u cannot let Onitsha go with Anioma people. I bet u guys are now hungry for Anioma people now but in life some things are too late.

Anyone talking abt state creation now is just fooling himself. Nigeria has no time for that now. Anioma ppl are not the only ones agitating for a state, there are up to 20 others.
Bother yourself with your middlebelt ish and leave my Anioma people alone!!! angry

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 11, 2017
Igbo this, Igbo that, every day Igbo igbo... some people are now Professors in Igbo matter. See them jumping up and down, like nwa'wo, on every Igbo thread, with their half baked knowledge. Mtchewwww

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 11:13pm On Feb 11, 2017
To the acolytes of IPOB and its' foot soldiers, here are some words of advice:

“Before you start a war, always count the cost. If you couldn’t, you just might be walking into a very deep grave you had misunderstood to mean victory…there are people who would never start a war but they fear not to take on an enemy, and they have a mastery of the art of war without even lifting a finger, and won’t stop until not one drop of blood is left in your veins.” - Melchizedek Edward II
https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/211253/bubbles-burst.html

“I need not tell you what horror, what devastation and what extreme human suffering will attend the use of force. When it is over and the smoke and dust have lifted and the dead are buried, we shall find as other people have found that it has all been futile, in solving the problems we set out to solve.” - General Adeyinka Adebayo (rtd), former Military Governor, old Western Region
https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/211253/bubbles-burst.html

“In Biafra two wars were fought simultaneously. The first was for the survival of the Ibos as a race. The second was for the survival of Ojukwu’s leadership. Ojukwu’s error, which proved fatal for millions of Ibos, was that he put the latter first.”

Ikemba, “lacked tact, never took advice, suffered what could pass for inferiority complex and was power drunk” for losing the same war, his “ego and quest for absolute control” spelt doom for the Biafran project. “It is a sad but instructive irony that Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu, one of Africa’s one-time most brilliant political promises, was the man that led his own people with such a lack of ingenuity into what was clearly a foreseeable disaster.” - Chief Raph Uwechue (1935-2014), Nigeria’s first diplomatic envoy to France (1966) in his book Reflections on the Nigerian Civil War (Africana Publishing Corp., 1969):

“I told Ojukwu [to] invite these people [and inform them]. He told me they would compromise. That’s what he said. He didn’t invite them, never asked them questions. That‘s not how to lead. That’s what led us into trouble. There are many areas we would have compromised. Ojukwu did not compromise. That’s one of the mistakes he made in the war…It wasn’t that Zik opposed the war. Anybody with an intellect, with a sense would consider carefully the implications of a war. War is destructive. There’s no country that went to war that didn’t suffer, not one. When we went to war, we destroyed everything we had.” - Dr Okechukwu Ikejiani (1917-2007), former President of the Nigerian Medical Association (1962-1966), and Biafra’s Director of Laboratory Services and Ambassador Plenipotentiary (1967-1970)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 12:40am On Feb 12, 2017
Just to be clear.
Ojukwu started no war.

Ndiigbo collectively had examined the history of Biafran war, and found Ojukwu to be a hero, and not a villain.
I believe that no ethnic nationality in Nigeria are more intellectually endowed than Ndiigbo as to tell us who our heroes are or aren't.
No amount of Lagos-Ibadan falsehoods or articles by naive Igbos driven by false sense of understanding of events of Biafra , selfish agenda or by need to curry favour from Ndiigbo detractors in Nigeria will change the very fact and truth that Ikemba remains a Biafran and by extension, Igbo hero.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by amInigerian: 1:07am On Feb 12, 2017
TheSociopath:
The enduring grip of historical falsehoods on Igbo minds continues to poison both Igbo culture and psyche.

BY TOCHUKWU EZUKANMA FEB 06, 2017

My recent article, the messages of Ahiara, an incisive piece buttressed with logic and reason, which refuted some popular but erroneous notions of tribalism and secession in Nigeria, drew a lot of hostile responses from some of my readers. They lobbed curses and hauled invectives at me. However, to me, it was all exhilarating. I relish rejoinders to my writings, be them abusive or appreciative.

One of my milder critics accused me of demonstrated dislike for Biafra and its leadership. Yes, I detest the Biafra leadership because, in its recklessness, arrogance and despotism, it brought about the death of hundreds of thousands at the glory of their youth and the starvation to death of more than one million hapless and blameless men, women and children. It dismantled the Igbo power structure, painstakingly put together over decades by the likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, and Michael Okpara, and set the Igbo back by at least 100 years. Why would any Igbo not despise a leadership that brought so much, avoidable, suffering, pain and sorrow to the Igbo?

Some of my detractors argued that secession was a necessary response to the mass-murder of the Igbo in northern Nigeria. Undoubtedly, that orchestrated slaughter of the innocent for no offense of theirs but their ethnicity was unconscionable. However, it would be selective amnesia to forget that the July 29th 1966 coup and the attendant anti-Igbo riots in the North did not sprout out of a void. They were in reprisal for an earlier coup in January 1966 in which an Igbo dominated group of army officers murdered the most important Hausa/Fulani political and military leaders (Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Belewa and Zakari Miamalari) without killing any Igbo leader. And following the coup, the Igbo in the North became too celebrative; dancing and singing to a Rex Lawson song and telling their Hausa neighbors that the bleating of a goat in the song was Ahmadu Bello (the most important Hausa/Fulani leader) howling like a goat as he was being killed by Major Nzeogwu. It was the discriminatory killings and gratuitous mockery of the memory of their most important leader, amongst other reasons, that set the stage for the July 1966 anti-Igbo coup and the attendant anti-Igbo riots.

After the killings in the January and July coups and that unsurpassed butchery of Igbo civilians in northern Nigeria, there was a desperate need for peace in the country. In search of peace, the regional governors, David Ejoor, Usman Katsina, Robert Adebayo and Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, and the Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, met at Aburi in Ghana, where they agreed on and signed the Aburi Accord. The most significant aspect of the accord was constitutional: the reduction of the powers of the federal government by devolution of additional powers to regional governments. Long ago, an Igbo professor of political science at Howard University in Washington, DC told me that Yakubu Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord. To me, his statement was not only unbelievable but sacrilegious. I lost my temper at what I thought was historical revisionism taken to a nauseating extreme. The elderly professor must have understood my problem. I was suffering from a hangover of the Biafran propaganda. I was under the stupefying hold of the lies we were fed in Biafra. For he stated, “don’t worry, with time, in the course of your reading and research, you will find out that Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord”.

Years later, I found out that Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord. In his book, Power Sharing in Nigerian Federation, Chukwuemeka Nwokedi wrote that, “Apart from minor adjustments to the Aburi Accord, in other to still retain the corporate nature of Nigeria”, Gowon implemented the Aburi Accord with Decree 8; “and the regions acquired more powers than they have ever had”. That was months before the continued wrangling between Ojukwu and Gowon led to the creation of states. But did Ojukwu not declare Biafra and we marched out to war on the mantra, “On Aburi We Stand”. According to other writers, the minor adjustments Gowon made to the accord was the cancelation of two articles of the accord, which stated that any region can secede from Nigeria at will, and that the federal government can, on no account, impose a state of emergency on any region. Ojukwu’s advisers urged him to accept Decree 8 because Gowon had “gone more than far enough”. He refused.

The removal of the two articles of the accord did not in any way imperil the lives and property of the Igbo and other peoples of Eastern Region. Ojukwu’s squabbling, against the advice of his advisers, over the two articles was solely motivated by personal ambition. Following Ojukwu’s declaration of Biafra, the war inevitably started. As it raged on, it was obvious that a negotiated settlement to the war would be most advantageous to the Igbo. Ojukwu’s obsession with maintaining himself in power stalled the peace talks that would have extracted for the Igbo a number of concessions from the federal government. Despite the enormous toll of the war, especially, on human lives, he kept protecting his position and power, until it became untenable. And, as Biafra collapsed, he ran away; Biafra surrendered unconditionally.

A litany of the falsehood we were fed in Biafra is beyond the scope of this article. David Klinghoffer was right when he wrote that, “Widespread misinformation poisons a culture”. The enduring grip of these falsehoods on Igbo minds continues to poison both Igbo culture and psyche. They make us paranoid – we feel surrounded by enemies committed to our destruction, and in our suspicion of these “enemies” we see ulterior motives in every act, no matter how well-intended and benign, by other Nigerians. In addition, they make us feel like innocent victims of the evil devices of an alliance of the other Nigerian ethnic groups. And like perennial victims we refuse to take responsibilities for our actions; we find psychological refuge in blaming others, the Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, etc, for our problems.

Blaming others for your problems is gratifying but destructive; it reinforces the feeling of victimhood. The mindset that sustains a feeling of victimhood is antithetical to victory. Therefore, a victim remains a loser until he changes his mindset. For our own good, the Igbo need to change their attitude towards Nigeria and the other peoples of Nigeria. This demands rising above the misinformation of the Biafran propaganda by embracing some incontrovertible historical facts. This will enable us to realize that our problems stemmed not from the hatred and wicked machination of the Hausa, Yoruba and other ethnic groups of Nigeria, but from repeated political blunders of Igbo leaders, especially, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu.

Otherwise, our political fortune, clout and relevance will continue to decline. It has declined to a point, where a proud and resourceful people that, in their triumphalism, once boasted of dominating not only Nigeria but the whole of Africa now whimper and snivel over trivialities like a disconsolate old widow.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2017/02/06/misinformation-continues-poison-our-minds-tochukwu-ezukanma
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 1:34am On Feb 12, 2017
Nigeria’s war time Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, at the end of the Nigerian civil war in1970 announced ‘’No victor, no vanquished’’, a slogan, many thought, was meant to give those on the side of the defunct Biafra a kind of psychological relief and ‘sense of belonging’ in the affairs of the country. However, one of the top Biafran war commanders and a very close, trusted associate of Ojukwu the Biafran leader, Col Joseph Achuzia a.k.a “Air Raid’’, “Hannibal’’ or “Achucriminal’’ was thrown into jail for seven years after the war on the orders of the Federal Government under Gowon.

A British trained Aeronautic engineer and one-time Secretary General of the apex Igbo sociocultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Achuzia spoke inside his sitting room at his Asaba residence. Excerpts:

Could you comment on the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu you knew ?

Dim Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu has always been known to me right from my secondary school days, when we were in Kings College together. Then later we met in Britain. And by the time Nigeria became independent, in October 1960, and I came home, we met again. By then he had already become entrenched within his position in the Nigerian Army.

We did not interact before the first coup took place; and immediately after the coup I left back to Britain. And I was following events because he was a key player in the scenario that was unfolding. Then the next landmark in my relationship with him took place when he was appointed the Governor of Eastern Region and Ejoor (General David Ejoor, rtd) was also appointed a governor.

Ejoor was sent to Enugu and Ojukwu protested, which made the then Head of State, General Johnson Thomas Umunakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi to change the postings and sent him to Enugu while Ejoor was posted to Benin.

When we got to Enugu the situation was such that a townsman of mine was also the Secretary to the Eastern Regional Government in the person of C. C. Mordi, from Asaba here. A lot of things were going on: the killings in the North, pogrom; so many Igbos from the North were rushing down home; and what was taking place made me to have a closer look into the sort of programme the then governor of Eastern Region, in the person of Odumegwu Ojukwu held for the Igbo people because the trauma being created by the extensive killing was such that it required somebody with a proper insight in dealing with human tragedy to handle. Soldiers, civilians, civil servants were affected.

In fact, what took place affected the core inner group that held Igbo citizenship together, something that made the Igbo Union, which one regarded as all supreme in everything, of which Ohanaeze today, the Igbozuruome of today, were modeled after. Igbo Union had to retreat to the East. And in doing so, every Igbo person, male, female, child everything, for survival, was heading eastward.
Why did Ojukwu protested Ejoor’s posting to Enugu

It seemed that Ojukwu, who probably foresaw tomorrow, knew what would happen in the future. Perhaps that was the reason he protested against Ejoor being sent to Enugu because I am quite certain, in my mind now, not on hindsight but from what I saw around that time that the posting wasn’t correct and that Ojukwu was right to protest.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 1:35am On Feb 12, 2017
From then on my interest became more firm and solid, in terms of support, which I made up my mind to give to him. He came to Enugu, we met, discussed briefly, then I left back to Britain. It was while I was back in Britain that 1p.m news, in the afternoon, in London, it was announced that, Chief Obafemi Awolowo said that if the East goes, the West will go. So I realised that the whole of this thing was heading towards a shooting match; and I felt that with the loss of so many experienced, trained officers from the East that they, Eastern Region, would need every hand available on deck.

That made me to board a plane coming back to Nigeria then to meet another coup, the July 1966 coup, which brought Gowon on board. I spent two days at Airport Hotel in Ikeja. When Murtala Mohammed was a Major, I knew him. George Miller, a friend of mine married to a German that I was going to stay in his house knew him (Murtala) but the instruction at the airport when we came out of the plane was that nobody goes out anywhere.

So we were taken to the Airport Hotel. George Miller, being friendly with Murtala, brought him and we met. We discussed and he assured that I should wait for a day or so and there would be flight to Benin. He kept to his words. Two days later, the route to Benin was opened again. And myself, my wife and child were taken to the plane which we boarded to Benin.

From there we headed to the East. By this time the situation was getting critical that second coup that we met was so devastating that it wasn’t only the army but everybody of Igbo origin or that came from the Eastern Region, including those Igbos from the Midwest became involved in the selective killings that were taking place.

And the vision which Ojukwu saw, when he protested now crystallized itself because the Midwesterners, Western Igbos, that were returning from the North and from the West, heading home, on reaching Benin, were not welcomed. Reliefs that were being distributed were not given them. Placements in the civil service departments where they were working, to enable them obtain salary or whatever would be given for succour were not allowed. They were told to go and meet their people in Enugu.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 1:36am On Feb 12, 2017
So they all trooped out and headed for Enugu. We were also around to assist in receiving them. In fact, that was when Ika Igbo Association was formed, just as today you are hearing Anioma, Anioma; Anioma wasn’t in our lexicon then. What we had was Ika Igbo. And our interaction with Ojukwu and his government was concretised at that time.

From then, even though the army in the Midwestern Command, the high echelon, was more of Midwestern Igbos, the civil service cadre that should have lent weight to them and support were no more available. Most of them had headed across the Niger. And it must also be borne in mind that the Nigerian boundaries vis a vis East and West were not as they are today, where you have as Ogbaru and those places used to be Midwest, Midwestern Region, the Niger wasn’t a natural boundary, it was the effect of the war that brought about the Niger, at the end of the war being regarded as a natural boundary and the configuration that took place since then still makes it difficult for the Igbos to settle down properly.
The Ojukwu I knew

As I was saying, you are talking about Ojukwu. Here was a man because of his vision, somehow prepared by God or providence, whatever it is, prepared him and placed him at this point in time in history at a place where he was to act as Moses for his people. This was the reason why all his pronouncements had always been that efforts must be made to make sure that the Igbos still remain recognised within the set up and arrangement called Nigeria.

He made a lot of pronouncements and also, at the same time made a lot of requests from the Igbo people. I remember that there was a meeting he called of Leaders of Thoughts. During that meeting, he said what we are asking for is not separation but what we are entitled to by being partners in the arrangement called Nigeria. He said we were being pushed with intention of pushing us out of Nigeria, and this we will resist.

For the first time he was the one who clarified what we mean in my mind and conditioned my attitude during the period of warfare, in the battle field. He said they can push us, we will take our stand in our own soil with our back against the wall but we will not give up what we have already created in Nigeria.

He said, in terms of civilised norms implanted into Nigeria, it is the Igboman alone that feels he must build a decent house, not only to accommodate his family, but to accommodate those in whose land, in whose territory he acquired wealth and built these things. He said the Igbo man by education, self help, both within the commercial business group, the civil service, the entrepreneurship are the Igbos that we can’t abandon. We must resist the push.
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 1:38am On Feb 12, 2017
[b]Why we forced Ojukwu to declare Biafra

All of a sudden, we were given a date that on such and such a day the federal government is going to carve up Eastern Region. Ojukwu then called a Consultative Assembly of the people, among which were the Ika Igbos, also given a pride of place as part of the Igbo nation. Our traditional rulers from the Midwest, the Igbo speaking areas attended that conference.

I was privy. I was there. And around 1pm a news flash came. What we were hearing as rumour became a reality: Eastern Region was carved. They carved out Rivers State and South East State. So we went into the afternoon recess and by the time we came out of recess and went into afternoon session, a decision was quickly reached that we can’t sit back and see ourselves divided, so the best thing to do was that we must ask Ojukwu to declare the State of Biafra.

Before that there has been a lot of argument, here and there, over the issue of what name do we go by. So many different names and configurations were bandied about but finally we asked the group of lawyers assembled to prepare a communiqué declaring the state of Biafra.

Even that meeting, Ojukwu wasn’t there, he was still in Government House. This meeting was being held within Hotel Presidential. So by the time the decision was reached, this was carried to him, we were surprised that he said no. He will not do it. He said that he will not declare. We thought either they didn’t teach the military what is meant when somebody is trying to cut you to bits. If he didn’t understand, we did. So message was sent back to him and an ultimatum was given him that if by 8:00 O’clock that night he didn’t declare the state of Biafra, not only will we remove him, we will declare and decide who leads us.

Later in the evening he finally announced the state of Biafra. So we all rejoiced that now, at least, if Nigeria continued attacking us, we now knew how we were going to fight. The Eastern Region was one whole entity notwithstanding the earlier announcement by federal government creating three states out of Eastern Region.
Ojukwu as a magician

First to keep the morale of the people going, Ojukwu performed like a magician. People say, ah Okokon Ndem, Uche Chukwumerije, so many of them within the propaganda machinery, it was somebody that gave them the inspiration. Without Ojukwu, they wouldn’t have risen to the occasion. The army quickly changed by creating a situation where civilians were quickly mobilised into what was called Civil Defence.[/b]
http://asaba.com/ojukwu-biafra-and-i-col-achuzia/
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by escapefromusa(f): 1:50am On Feb 12, 2017
I always grow confused with any issue regarding the political relevance of the Ibo people in Nigeria.

Once a comment is made, no matter how scholarly, it gets refuted in an emotional way.

I am yet to find, an individual who supports the Ibo cessation ... make an argument or counter argument without emotional undertones or without trying to point out the original posters ethnic configuration.

Why is there is shortage of intellectuals in this struggle ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 3:45am On Feb 12, 2017
Igboid:
Just to be clear.
Ojukwu started no war.

Ndiigbo collectively had examined the history of Biafran war, and found Ojukwu to be a hero, and not a villain.
I believe that no ethnic nationality in Nigeria are more intellectually endowed than Ndiigbo as to tell us who our heroes are or aren't.
No amount of Lagos-Ibadan falsehoods or articles by naive Igbos driven by false sense of understanding of events of Biafra , selfish agenda or by need to curry favour from Ndiigbo detractors in Nigeria will change the very fact and truth that Ikemba remains a Biafran and by extension, Igbo hero.

When were you born?
You want anyone here to take a faceless kid words over the words of Pa Phillips Asiodu?

4 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 4:07am On Feb 12, 2017
nku5:

This showed the writer of this article up as an intellectually lazy writer of a very shitty article.

The 1966 coup was hatched and executed by army officers who cut across various ethnic groups.

Even Nzeogwu had northern soldiers with him when his group attacked Sardauna's residence. The country celebrated the overthrow of the government but when the revisionists and follow-follow people like the author of this article sold the mirage of "igbo coup" it set the stage for the massacre of innocent Igbos who knew nothing about the coup or politics.

The writer is just a clown

It's an ibo coup! You can believe otherwise from now till you are no more, it doesn't obliterate the fact that ibo officers killed leading political and military elites of other regions while sparing their own and eventually the beneficiaries of the coup were ibos.
You guys set Nigeria back by 200 years with that night of madness by your drunken brothers

4 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 9:29am On Feb 12, 2017
escapefromusa:
I always grow confused with any issue regarding the political relevance of the Ibo people in Nigeria.

Once a comment is made, no matter how scholarly, it gets refuted in an emotional way.

I am yet to find, an individual who supports the Ibo cessation ... make an argument or counter argument without emotional undertones or without trying to point out the original posters ethnic configuration.

Why is there is shortage of intellectuals in this struggle ?

You see what you want to see.

All falsehoods present in that article had been countered many times on NL, even on this thread. At a point it just gets boring countering them.

Nothing is emotional about the Igbo commoners resolve to ensure complete severance of shared colonial identity with Arewa-Oduanistans. It's rather the Igbophobic Arewa-Oduanistanis that get emotional about this Igbo resolve and grow dark in heart anytime Ndiigbo profess our love for Biafra our motherland, and exhibit this by throwing childish Igbophobic tantrums in every Igbo/ Biafra related thread.
You people need to grow up. You can't force love or union with people who would have nothing to do with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 9:32am On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

When were you born?
You want anyone here to take a faceless kid words over the words of Pa Phillips Asiodu?

Who is Philip Asiodu? He is a nobody and is only entitled to one vote in Igboland. A degenerate who for the sake of his insatiable greed support the cold murder of his kind by mouthing off a propaganda that had long been debunked.

Achuzia is a hardened Igbo statesman who commands more respect in Igboland.
His allegiance to Igbo wellbeing had been proved and written with blood in Biafra, and even now, he is still an active member of Ohanaeze Ndiigbo.
His words and opinions as an actor in Igbo history bears more weight than those of Unknown turncoats like Asiodu driven by his greed and need to curry favour from his Igbophobic Nigerian cronies. cool

4 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by paramakina202: 10:37am On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:
Utter trash, absolute bunkum, arrant nonsense, puerile rubbish!

Only an afonja is capable of this idiocy by the OP. The whole Igbos love biafra, anyone who hates biafra and claims to be igbo should ask his mother about the truth of his paternity.
Remember that some were fathered by Afonjas and Ewusas during the war,so op could be one of them.

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 11:38am On Feb 12, 2017
Igboid:

Who is Philip Asiodu? He is a nobody and is only entitled to one vote in Igboland. A degenerate who for the sake of his insatiable greed support the cold murder of his kind by mouthing off a propaganda that had long been debunked.

Achuzia is a hardened Igbo statesman who commands more respect in Igboland.
His allegiance to Igbo wellbeing had been proved and written with blood in Biafra, and even now, he is still an active member of Ohanaeze Ndiigbo.
His words and opinions as an actor in Igbo history bears more weight than those of Unknown turncoats like Asiodu driven by his greed and need to curry favour from his Igbophobic Nigerian cronies. cool

Typical ibo, always ready to degenerate any elder that speaks what he doesn't want to hear
You are free to keep writing your trash, but the whole world have documentary evidences of the party's played by all actors, and most you won't like.

4 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 12:06pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Typical ibo, always ready to degenerate any elder that speaks what he doesn't want to hear
You are free to keep writing your trash, but the whole have documentary evidences of the party's played by all actors, and most you won't like.

Typical afonja, always ready to lie about established historical facts just to score cheap political points which has never helped his region.

4 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 12:34pm On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:

Typical afonja, always ready to lie about established historical facts just to score cheap political points which has never helped his region.

Typical loudmouth flatron, ready to talk carelessly and insult. Go through the historical facts up there and debunk them, otherwise keep your mouth inside the gutter.
The same region all of your brothers are tropping to daily and begging the govt of Nigeria to help you connect another bridge to.
Lying is becoming habitual to you easterners

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by vanbonattel: 12:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
Eledan:

Typical loudmouth flatron, ready to talk carelessly and insult. Go through the historical facts up there and debunk them, otherwise keep your mouth inside the gutter.

There is no facts there. Aburi accord was signed to and Gowon refused to implement it. Then Ojukwu did the right thing and pulled away. This is the only history. Do you know why history as a subject was banned in schools? Because the then leaders (north and south west) are ashamed of themselves grin

2 Likes

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Eledan: 1:21pm On Feb 12, 2017
vanbonattel:

There is no facts there. Aburi accord was signed to and Gowon refused to implement it. Then Ojukwu did the right thing and pulled away. This is the only history. Do you know why history as a subject was banned in schools? Because the then leaders (north and south west) are ashamed of themselves grin

i can guarantee you that with your 100% or nothing approach, you will always lose in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

NPA Completes Warri Port Channel Dredging / Stop Disgracing APC - Oyegun To Oshiomhole / Mahmood Yakubu Should Face Prosecution, PDP Tells Police, DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.