Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,174 members, 7,884,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 12:23 AM

Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? (38518 Views)

We’ll Rule Lagos For 35 More Years – APC / Jimi Agbaje Is Too Old To Rule Lagos- Gov. Fashola / PDP Will Never Rule Lagos — Rilwan Akiolu, Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by pj5(f): 9:43pm On Apr 06, 2007
@duduyemi,your sentence construction skills amuses me and i can see that u lack proper understanding and depth of my post.on your behalf, i condem the falling standard of education in nigeria.you proved to me that my presumption that everyone on this post is learned in brain and mind is a rebuttable one.the long and short of what i said earlier is that people should not vote on party lines but on personality.cheers.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by kitaun(m): 1:22am On Apr 07, 2007
Pj5, like the way Bob Dole became American President? U guys love to spew thrash sha!
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by oshy(m): 1:37am On Apr 07, 2007
@hoao62,

i can guess why u hate pedro so much,
1,u applied to work @his bank when he was MD @ 1st atlantic. and u failed the interview,
2,why u failed the interview- i no cus u talk a lot of rubbish, wit wot u write everyday ,you wouldnt have passed it anyway ,
3.dont take it personal that he didnt employ u,the guy always want the best to work wit him ,n u were crap, but ALAS u got a job talking shit on the internet.
discuss issues n dont hate.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by oshy(m): 1:58am On Apr 07, 2007
@hoao62,
u write like the 62 yr old u are,if i d known him 4 30yrs that means i need contracts, hmmm.the contrcts he couldnt give or i couldnt get when he was deputy abi.?thats why ild sit in london n wouldnt go 2 niger 4 the elections if i really need the contracts, ,d way u think shows who u are ,all u think of is contracts n who will get wat,my advise 2 u is THINK b4 u u write, dont b the chucwumerije u were paid u be, it will always come back n hit u, u have not seen me slag off ur candidate but i tell u ,tinubu said why he prefared fasola is that, the guy took care of his props n money when he was away seeking asslymum

here in london, WOT A SHAME that we still play politicswith sentiments, like his props n money is same as that of lagos,
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by joorojaara(f): 2:01am On Apr 07, 2007
Fac
streetcyph:

@hao62 you seem to be pained about something. why r u so bothered about this man? the hatred passion is too much. focus on your candidate's winnablility. refrain from bashing mr pedro from no reason. you are wasting your time questioning mr pedro's rock solid integrity. as in, it is rocker than olumo rock solid! neither can you question is managerial experience, for goodness sake your man has never managed more than 20 people, and he wants to be governor of a state with almost 20 million??   shocked shocked wonders shall never end sha!

the truth is this: this campaign is not who has the glossiest fotos, nor who has the most jingles, or the slickest website, or any of all this jargon agbaje's people will tell you. it is not about who has the most money or the most billboards and posters like fashola will say. it is not about who has abused tinubu the most, like koro will tell you. it is not even about some of the things femi pedro's camp will claim like this person has endorsed me or that person has endorsed me. it is deeper than you think.

come election day, it will boil down to who has mobilized the most people, and who INEC announces as the winner. fullstop,
sorry to say, but agbaje' and fashola'll prolly fall short on both respects.

and speaking of agbaje, my brotha, the difference is clearer than 7UP. pedro and agbaje are not in the same league.  agbaje should spend his time convincing the people why they should elect a man with no proven record of managing people and money on a large scale.

the election is 8 days away! the people of lagos have pretty much made up their minds as to who they want to vote for.

Pity Pedro's people don't focus on the facts.

1. Pedro has been a SALARY TAKER most of his life (GTB, Comet Merchant, First Atlantic, and now Lagos State included)

2. The ONLY time , in recent times, that Pedro was NOT a salary taker was AFTER GTB and BEFORE Comet Merchant, when he ran his own business that did NOT employ up to 20 people and eventually went bust.

3. He went back to SALARY taking and BEGGED TO APPLY with John Abebe (Stella Obasanjo's elder brother) and Company at Comet Merchant Bank.

4. So he has NEVER had to pay people from his OWN pocket just manage the payroll for other shareholders/directors/governors,   (i.e GTB, First Atlantic, Lagos State).

5. The cloud under which he left GTB INCLUDES non performance, as he was ADVISED TO RESIGN (and we all known that means go BEFORE I have to SACK you). Any banker will tell you (as will senior GTB STAFF) that when you are MOVED AROUND a lot as senior staff it's because management can't find a good place for you or rather you don't fit in anywhere and are excess baggage!

5. He was just about to be booted out of First Atlantic, after O'tega and Company bought into it when Tokunbo Afikuyomi saved him and presented him to Tinubu as a replacement for Kofo Bucknor. Two weeks more and they would have replaced him as they were busy replacing/placing senior management in the bank and he COULDN't stop them.

6. He talks about INTEGRITY but he goes back on a gentleman's agreement with Afikuyomi about not running and supporting him for Governor come 2007 (with friends like that who needs enemies).

7. He crosses parties to Labour but continues taking SALARY from LAGOS STATE  (your money, my money) because if he did the HOUNOURABLE thing and resigned he would have NO RELEVANCE.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by segun44: 2:34am On Apr 07, 2007
well no matter the situation pedro is going to win and those of u dat have been doubting streetcyph,my pastor said dat PFN and CAN have endorsed pedro.so u guys should just vote for the winner and do not waste ur vote,remember the man still has NLC ooh.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by segun44: 2:40am On Apr 07, 2007
@ joroojarra or whatever mehn where did u get ur dirty,unreasonable lies.about to be replaced in first atlantic.u better go and do ur research well and stop trying to spoil what someone has built for years ooh and about integrity,i worked in GTB too,the bank builds your integrity,if u do not have dat they would send u out immediately.mehn go and do a new research.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by joorojaara(f): 4:50am On Apr 07, 2007
Truth hurts doesn't it!!!
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by Mustay(m): 9:21am On Apr 07, 2007
Yesterday at a market, i saw some kids playing and i really don't know what d game's about but d name of d game is Agbaje! Imagine.
When you are caught, they just mention d name- Agbaje!
It's nice to know d kids(even if they can't vote) know who d right man is. You don't need kids to act 4 u in some commercials or sing songs that everybody loves you on radio. . . Nlc sucks
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by streetcyph: 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2007
@jaroojorro u dont mean it? these were the cirumstances under which he left

and he managed to gain employment after underperformance? LOL!

my guy, your candidate has 7 more days. u better be looking for votes. when Mr Pedro has been ordained by powerful religious leaders who believe in him, all these things that you say are just things that you hope will detract pedro. his integrity dey kampe

kitaun, ur candidate is a non-entity in this race

isssues! issues! issues! issue-based politics, refrain from trash-talk!!!

grin grin grin
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by TAOTAO(m): 3:41pm On Apr 07, 2007
i dont know why everybody is just stressing themselves on all these political issue,the fact is that all of them are self centered and callous.i mean if any of them gets there,lagos will still be the same and indeed the entire nigeria.all we need to hope for is god intervention. ALL OF THEM BE THIEF
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by kitaun(m): 3:59pm On Apr 07, 2007
Taotao, if u aint got anything meaningful to say, JUST TAPE IT SHUT!!
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by duduyemi: 7:27pm On Apr 07, 2007
Hisssssssssssssssssssss
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by kitaun(m): 8:23pm On Apr 07, 2007
@duduyemi

hissing at who?

@Streetcyph

must be you are drunk or something shocked

as a reporter of THIS DAY newspaper you wrote an article which reads that Fashola has been leading a poll conducted by an independent body and you come here saying Fashola is not in contention for the race proper? shocked shocked

MR CHINYERE OKORO, COULD YOU TELL US HOW MUCH PEDRO PAID YOU FOR ALL THESE THRASH TALKS COMING FROM YOU? angry
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by Mustay(m): 8:46pm On Apr 07, 2007
At fash supporters, "there's nothing to continue" so you guys should just vote 4 Agbaje.
At Koro people- Koro while commenting on how d incident between ac and Pdp ensued-
"we were throwing powder milk, indomie, biscuit. . . " Haba, in this century! If he gets elected, 'll he still be throwing all these stuffs to d people?
Let your guy stop bribing the electorate
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by kitaun(m): 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2007
@Mustay

common sense surely aint that common grin cool

why is there nothing to continue?

when I enumerated the achievements of the Tinubu Govt, no one came out to deny him the right to claim such, was there?

has your role model Jimi Agbaje come out openly to deny he is/was not a contractor to the Tinubu Govt? tongue

In Mende where you stay, can you boast that Agbaje would nick a tenth of the votes, if you may know your area is one of the strongest bases of AC in Lagos State and am sure you know what I mean cool

@LLcoolG05

am still waiting for your responses to my challenge on who Koro truly is o!!! cool
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by jgirl3: 9:00pm On Apr 07, 2007
Koro is still going to win - no how, no way. He's already in.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by joorojaara(f): 10:42pm On Apr 07, 2007
streetcyph:

@jaroojorro u don't mean it? these were the cirumstances under which he left

and he managed to gain employment after underperformance? LOL!

grin grin grin

You don't have to believe me, but please do go ask the people in GTB. FP was one of a bunch of senior management that were 'eased' out in the in 90's. It was a major event in GTB's history so there are LOTS of people in the know.

It helps account for the period between GTB and Comet Merchant Bank. Who sets up a company and then goes back to paid employment in Nigeria unless the paid employment holds better prospects than the one that they set up themselves?

Like you said, lets keep to the issues backed up by facts.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by debosky(m): 10:56pm On Apr 07, 2007
ok he was eased out of GTB, so what? maybe it was a difference of opinion or philosophy, you cannot simply conclude that it was due to 'non-performance'

and so what if he went back into paid employment? If one discovers that he should his calling after trying something else, I don't see any flaw in that.

and to further mention, even if he goes to another party (just as his principal Tinubu did) as long as he continues to do his duty, I don't see the relevance of your 'your money and our money' comment.

I don't have any evidence of any agreement with Afikuyomi, please show proof. very few deputies would not want to step into the position of their bosses so that is no big deal.

the fact that he would be replaced as MD of FA doesn't show he was incompetent either, new owners want to do things their own way, simple and short.

nothing said here has shown pedro to be unworthy, the only thing that can be said is that he has not been in politics long enough.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by Mustay(m): 10:58pm On Apr 07, 2007
I don't respond to bull shits and to correct you, d rally is gonna take place near my area doesn't mean i stay at mende. 'm sure you used iko to assume.
'm not ready 4 arguments but i really want those who work for d Lagos state government to contribute ere so y'all will know Whazap.
In your area, can you boast of people voting fash? I know you'll say yes; illiteracy is just our bane of progress
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by dayokanu(m): 11:01pm On Apr 07, 2007
I'm Back
@ debosky Dat llcoog05 has answered the name issue, PLEASE WHERE DID THEY GET THAT INEC FORM and i was feeling your yarns before ohh u said we should not make false statements in d name of politics. I respect that view but d man has ran for how many elections and it is this governor they know he has 2 ages, every single document i have seen has 1960 including d one on the website they fabricated, except for the one his using for governorship u too check am y now? and check ancestry.com for all the false names given to him those are his family members and that zabasearch even says 1960.

Can you check the national assembly website and see what Koro's age is on the site
or better still google out Senator Musiliu Obanikoro and click on the national assembly link and you would see 1954.

I dont talk without facts waiting for a rebuttal
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by Mustay(m): 11:02pm On Apr 07, 2007
At fash people, in the 21st century it baffles me when government celebrates d commissioning of roads and they call that achievement!
D black mind is so BLACK!
To me, ac has really really really wasted money on campaigns. . . It's obvious fash lied to d moderator during d debate that he'd not exceeded d stated amount approved 4 campaigns
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by debosky(m): 11:04pm On Apr 07, 2007
please tell us about what you consider achievement?
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by Mustay(m): 11:41pm On Apr 07, 2007
D ac supporters can expantiate guy. How are their public schools where teachers are sacred of d students? Wasn't it d commissioner of health that closed down one of em cos they'd all d vices i can't start listing ere? It's the achievements fash says he wants to continue
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by hoao62: 1:14am On Apr 08, 2007
Mustay. I beg, Leave these people alone. I have learnt that it makes no sense. Its only 6 days away. We will come back to laugh at these people. It will feel so good.
Kitaun, is still harping on a bullshit point that has been rubbished by my response way back(The rumor that agbaje is a contractor of the government DOES NOT EXIST. It was started by StreetCyph in this post to save face for Pedro. If i am wrong please quote a link where this allegation has been made. See when, i make points they don't address it, after a while they think people have forgoteen then they start the same old bullshit.
The truth is If AC is sooo confident as they would like us to believe, Kitaun should have nothing to worry about.
Why is he on here losing his temper, leave the forum for the underdogs, u shouldnt be worried!

The truth of the matter is Koro guys, i like you guys Jare. Keep on.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by hoao62: 1:17am On Apr 08, 2007
In case you don't know, CPP and NDP governors have stepped down for Jay Kay. 16 of the 20 local government leaders in willco had had defected to DPA earlier on at the beginning of the campaign. ANPP in agege have defected to DPA today and i'm sure there is a lot more to come this week. This is getting very interesting.
Even Tinubu must be shaking in his boots. I havent been seeing adverts in the paper everyday, i guess they are busy scrambling. He knows the influence Afenifere has in the southwest and especially now that Jay Kay fever is at an all time high.

Ha!!,
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by oshy(m): 5:59am On Apr 08, 2007
It is rubbish wasting tax payers’ money saying one is koroded, the other a puppet ––Femi Pedro

What were your findings during the campaign tours?

What I saw during my campaign tours were very instructive and highly revealing. A lot of hidden facts that even the media and the elite do not really take into serious consideration while forecasting the outcome of the elections, were discovered. For example, in Lagos State today, over 70 per cent of our people are poor and they don’t even read the newspapers; at best, they read the headlines. They really decide base on what they see in terms of projects and possibly hear on the radio. And I have taken my campaign to them. I have gone to all the local governments. I have visited nearly all the major streets. No other candidate has done that; all they do is go to one particular location in the local government and from there, they go back home.

In the process, I have met the true and real Lagosians. And they were so happy to see me. They appreciate me because they see me as the best and credible alternative. They see me as somebody who can govern Lagos and take it to the next level. They see our campaign as distinct, unique, purposeful and the most peaceful. We have never fought or abused anybody. Even on the pages of newspapers, we only address issues; we have never quarrelled with anybody. So people see me as a credible candidate that they can rely on.

Do you in all honesty think you can win the governorship election?

Why not? I have the people behind me. I am the only candidate who has a block support; the entire Nigeria Labour Congress is behind me. They are in the streets now; the entire Christian community is also behind me. The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria has endorsed me. And there are various other organisations that have come out to endorse me. And mind you, these are not even traditional voters. So, they don’t even make noise in the street. These are people who, ordinarily, will not venture into politics. But they are now determined and committed to vote Femi Pedro. These are things that you will not see on the surface. So, there is a big shock coming in the next election. The so-called big parties will be shocked. This is because they have been deceived and misled by opinion polls of newspapers that they will win the elections. But deep down in the minds of the people, they want change; they don’t want the traditional, recycled politicians, who have godfathers that are waiting in the wings to take over as soon as their puppets are sworn-in. The voters now want to have a direct dealing with the real candidate. They want a candidate that is standing firm, and that is what I represent.

So, what do you really stand for?

I stand for fresh leadership; idealistic leadership, compassionate leadership, leadership with vision; with knowledge, experience and depth. I represent somebody who has genuineness. And you should know that the people do not subscribe to this idea that Femi Pedro is a political neophyte. They don’t even want to vote a governor that has the kind of political experience that has brought Lagos to its knee. They believe that is not what will take Lagos to the next level. They believe that is what has bugged us down. We are bug down by this parasitic political structure. It is your personality that gives people the confidence not structure.

Are you now saying that structure is no longer important in winning election?

No, I have not said so. Both structure and party are important. It is a combination of both. But the coming election has been more of personality because that is what people tend to be more interested in now. You can even see the debates that we have had. The voters were calling us; let’s see you. Let’s hear your programme. We must have held about eight interactive sessions. And all they (the people) have been asking for is our vision. Nobody is asking for the name of our party.

Why the sudden shift in emphasis by the people?

This is because they know from experience that it is the candidate that will matter to them later, though structure is also important. That is the reason I told you that the type of party structure that we have is not the type that we are used to in Nigeria. We have people who are working for us, earnestly and committedly, in all the local governments. The Labour and the Trade Union Congress are there working selflessly for a cause they believe in.

People still believe that you need three basic things to win elections; money, power of incumbency and federal might. The Action Congress has the power of incumbency and money, while the Peoples Democratic Party has the federal might. But you seem not to posses any?

Your theory is not correct. There are several factors that can be used to win elections. There have been surprises in Nigerian elections. Gbenga Daniel, the current governor of Ogun State, didn’t have the power of incumbency in 2003, though you may say that he had the federal might. But I can tell you that there have been several surprises in the past and it can still happen; that a candidate can win an election in Nigeria, without incumbency factor, federal might and what I might call wasteful spending because what the AC and the PDP are doing is wasteful spending. The kind of money being thrown around by some parties is shameful because if this money has been used for the people before now, most of their problems would have been solved. I am so proud of our campaign. We are not spending wastefully. We have spent prudently and decently. And we are comfortable with our campaign and the results. But the major point is that this election is different. Every election has its own coloration. This one is different from the last one. And anyone who bases his forecast and expectations on the last elections will be disappointed because what you will get will be different.

What informed that conclusion?

Let me give you some facts. In the area of incumbency, there is actually no power of incumbency. First, the governor is not running. And what finally destroyed their structure is the fact that the process that produced Babatunde Fashola was mostly undemocratic. And that was what caused the split in the AC; they now have about four to five governorship candidates. So, that has diminished the power of incumbency and taken away a lot of support. That is why he is trying to out do it by spending wastefully. But it is shameful. A candidate has 10 ‘spectacular’ in one street; has his jingle on the radio every minute. What work has he ever done in his life? So, where and how did he get that money. People should be asking that questions. How did he get the money as a candidate to spend like that? Or who is backing him? And where has that backer got that kind of money from? But I trust Lagosians. They are not stupid? They know all that is happening. Lagosians are angry that they are hungry; jobless, yet, you are wasting so much on political campaigns. The money should have been used to better their lives. So, those factors you have mentioned, even if they had worked before, will not work again.

The other one, federal might, is a none issue in Lagos because the Federal Government has not done much in Lagos. So, what might is it going to use to convince voters to vote its candidate in Lagos? And if anybody thinks he can manipulate elections in Lagos, they better think twice. This is because just as the AC wants to rig, the PDP is watching and vice versa; and the rest of us will be watching. I want to see how one party will gain advantage over the other parties, our agents will be in all the polling booths and we have our strategies to protect our votes.

Are you expecting a possible run-off?

No! For me, I am expecting an outright victory. I am not expecting to have a run-off with anybody. I will win convincingly at the first election. And that is what I am basing my plans on. But if there is run-off, we will cross it when we get there. I am not planning for a run-off. And I am not planning to lose.

What have been the major challenges you faced during campaigns?

Security issue! We face the menace of area boys as we go for campaigns. And of course, the second one is that when I set out to run for governor, I made my plans. I looked at the Electoral Act and it says we can’t spend more than N100 million for the elections. And I did my budget and I planned for it. But you see a candidate spending the 100 million in one week and our people are not saying anything, and those of us that are abiding by the law are paying for it. So, what kind of a country are we in that we make laws and we allow people to flout them with impunity? These are the two main challenges. I wish we could stick to the rules. When you are honest, have integrity and character, you did not steal money and did not cut corners, you used your sweat to run elections, why should somebody who cannot explain the source of his own wealth be allowed to be spending lavishly without a check? All of us should have been forced to stay within the spending limit. So, there is no level-playing field. But we will still beat them.

Did you really anticipate the level of violence that the campaigns have come to assume? And are you not personally scared?

I have made up my mind not to be deterred by violence or news of violence. The violence and crisis in Lagos are limited to two parties. These are the people shooting each other; cutting each other. And they have forgotten that they are just helping the rest of us. They are sending the right message to the people that, ‘please don’t vote for us.’ They are crisis and violence proned. That is why I am appealing to Lagosians to come out and vote out the violent parties; which is the AC and the PDP. And vote in peaceful governor, a governor that will not encourage violence; the governor that will bring peace to Lagos. These people that are shooting each other now will continue after elections. And Lagosians need peace because no development can take place without peace. I know that God Almighty will see us through in these elections. I have faith in Him that He will deliver us.

Don’t you have a personal fear for your dear life?

Not at all because I am covered by the blood of Jesus. I have no fear for anything. I am a child of God and I pray to him daily before I go out. And why should I be afraid? I run a very peaceful campaign. I don’t abuse anybody openly or on the pages of a newspapers. I don’t advertise in the papers calling people names; abusing their parents; questioning their parenthood. A God-fearing leader will not do all this rubbish they are wasting money doing on the pages of the newspapers everyday Because if you look at it, it is shameful and ugly. They waste the tax payers’ money saying someone is “KORODED”; and the other one will say one is a puppet and puppeteer. That is not what Lagosians want to hear. They are irritated by all those rubbish. They want to hear issue. They want their leaders to exhibit signs of good upbringing. They want to hear how you will tar their roads; provide jobs, and food, and not abuses.

What I saw during my campaign tours were very instructive and highly revealing. A lot of hidden facts that even the media and the elite do not really take into serious consideration while forecasting the outcome of the elections, were discovered. For example, in Lagos State today, over 70 per cent of our people are poor and they don’t even read the newspapers; at best, they read the headlines. They really decide base on what they see in terms of projects and possibly hear on the radio. And I have taken my campaign to them. I have gone to all the local governments. I have visited nearly all the major streets. No other candidate has done that; all they do is go to one particular location in the local government and from there, they go back home.

In the process, I have met the true and real Lagosians. And they were so happy to see me. They appreciate me because they see me as the best and credible alternative. They see me as somebody who can govern Lagos and take it to the next level. They see our campaign as distinct, unique, purposeful and the most peaceful. We have never fought or abused anybody. Even on the pages of newspapers, we only address issues; we have never quarrelled with anybody. So people see me as a credible candidate that they can rely on.

Do you in all honesty think you can win the governorship election?

Why not? I have the people behind me. I am the only candidate who has a block support; the entire Nigeria Labour Congress is behind me. They are in the streets now; the entire Christian community is also behind me. The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria has endorsed me. And there are various other organisations that have come out to endorse me. And mind you, these are not even traditional voters. So, they don’t even make noise in the street. These are people who, ordinarily, will not venture into politics. But they are now determined and committed to vote Femi Pedro. These are things that you will not see on the surface. So, there is a big shock coming in the next election. The so-called big parties will be shocked. This is because they have been deceived and misled by opinion polls of newspapers that they will win the elections. But deep down in the minds of the people, they want change; they don’t want the traditional, recycled politicians, who have godfathers that are waiting in the wings to take over as soon as their puppets are sworn-in. The voters now want to have a direct dealing with the real candidate. They want a candidate that is standing firm, and that is what I represent.

So, what do you really stand for?

I stand for fresh leadership; idealistic leadership, compassionate leadership, leadership with vision; with knowledge, experience and depth. I represent somebody who has genuineness. And you should know that the people do not subscribe to this idea that Femi Pedro is a political neophyte. They don’t even want to vote a governor that has the kind of political experience that has brought Lagos to its knee. They believe that is not what will take Lagos to the next level. They believe that is what has bugged us down. We are bug down by this parasitic political structure. It is your personality that gives people the confidence not structure.

Are you now saying that structure is no longer important in winning election?

No, I have not said so. Both structure and party are important. It is a combination of both. But the coming election has been more of personality because that is what people tend to be more interested in now. You can even see the debates that we have had. The voters were calling us; let’s see you. Let’s hear your programme. We must have held about eight interactive sessions. And all they (the people) have been asking for is our vision. Nobody is asking for the name of our party.

Why the sudden shift in emphasis by the people?

This is because they know from experience that it is the candidate that will matter to them later, though structure is also important. That is the reason I told you that the type of party structure that we have is not the type that we are used to in Nigeria. We have people who are working for us, earnestly and committedly, in all the local governments. The Labour and the Trade Union Congress are there working selflessly for a cause they believe in.

People still believe that you need three basic things to win elections; money, power of incumbency and federal might. The Action Congress has the power of incumbency and money, while the Peoples Democratic Party has the federal might. But you seem not to posses any?

Your theory is not correct. There are several factors that can be used to win elections. There have been surprises in Nigerian elections. Gbenga Daniel, the current governor of Ogun State, didn’t have the power of incumbency in 2003, though you may say that he had the federal might. But I can tell you that there have been several surprises in the past and it can still happen; that a candidate can win an election in Nigeria, without incumbency factor, federal might and what I might call wasteful spending because what the AC and the PDP are doing is wasteful spending. The kind of money being thrown around by some parties is shameful because if this money has been used for the people before now, most of their problems would have been solved. I am so proud of our campaign. We are not spending wastefully. We have spent prudently and decently. And we are comfortable with our campaign and the results. But the major point is that this election is different. Every election has its own coloration. This one is different from the last one. And anyone who bases his forecast and expectations on the last elections will be disappointed because what you will get will be different.

What informed that conclusion?

Let me give you some facts. In the area of incumbency, there is actually no power of incumbency. First, the governor is not running. And what finally destroyed their structure is the fact that the process that produced Babatunde Fashola was mostly undemocratic. And that was what caused the split in the AC; they now have about four to five governorship candidates. So, that has diminished the power of incumbency and taken away a lot of support. That is why he is trying to out do it by spending wastefully. But it is shameful. A candidate has 10 ‘spectacular’ in one street; has his jingle on the radio every minute. What work has he ever done in his life? So, where and how did he get that money. People should be asking that questions. How did he get the money as a candidate to spend like that? Or who is backing him? And where has that backer got that kind of money from? But I trust Lagosians. They are not stupid? They know all that is happening. Lagosians are angry that they are hungry; jobless, yet, you are wasting so much on political campaigns. The money should have been used to better their lives. So, those factors you have mentioned, even if they had worked before, will not work again.

The other one, federal might, is a none issue in Lagos because the Federal Government has not done much in Lagos. So, what might is it going to use to convince voters to vote its candidate in Lagos? And if anybody thinks he can manipulate elections in Lagos, they better think twice. This is because just as the AC wants to rig, the PDP is watching and vice versa; and the rest of us will be watching. I want to see how one party will gain advantage over the other parties, our agents will be in all the polling booths and we have our strategies to protect our votes.

Are you expecting a possible run-off?

No! For me, I am expecting an outright victory. I am not expecting to have a run-off with anybody. I will win convincingly at the first election. And that is what I am basing my plans on. But if there is run-off, we will cross it when we get there. I am not planning for a run-off. And I am not planning to lose.

What have been the major challenges you faced during campaigns?

Security issue! We face the menace of area boys as we go for campaigns. And of course, the second one is that when I set out to run for governor, I made my plans. I looked at the Electoral Act and it says we can’t spend more than N100 million for the elections. And I did my budget and I planned for it. But you see a candidate spending the 100 million in one week and our people are not saying anything, and those of us that are abiding by the law are paying for it. So, what kind of a country are we in that we make laws and we allow people to flout them with impunity? These are the two main challenges. I wish we could stick to the rules. When you are honest, have integrity and character, you did not steal money and did not cut corners, you used your sweat to run elections, why should somebody who cannot explain the source of his own wealth be allowed to be spending lavishly without a check? All of us should have been forced to stay within the spending limit. So, there is no level-playing field. But we will still beat them.

Did you really anticipate the level of violence that the campaigns have come to assume? And are you not personally scared?

I have made up my mind not to be deterred by violence or news of violence. The violence and crisis in Lagos are limited to two parties. These are the people shooting each other; cutting each other. And they have forgotten that they are just helping the rest of us. They are sending the right message to the people that, ‘please don’t vote for us.’ They are crisis and violence proned. That is why I am appealing to Lagosians to come out and vote out the violent parties; which is the AC and the PDP. And vote in peaceful governor, a governor that will not encourage violence; the governor that will bring peace to Lagos. These people that are shooting each other now will continue after elections. And Lagosians need peace because no development can take place without peace. I know that God Almighty will see us through in these elections. I have faith in Him that He will deliver us.

Don’t you have a personal fear for your dear life?

Not at all because I am covered by the blood of Jesus. I have no fear for anything. I am a child of God and I pray to him daily before I go out. And why should I be afraid? I run a very peaceful campaign. I don’t abuse anybody openly or on the pages of a newspapers. I don’t advertise in the papers calling people names; abusing their parents; questioning their parenthood. A God-fearing leader will not do all this rubbish they are wasting money doing on the pages of the newspapers everyday Because if you look at it, it is shameful and ugly. They waste the tax payers’ money saying someone is “KORODED”; and the other one will say one is a puppet and puppeteer. That is not what Lagosians want to hear. They are irritated by all those rubbish. They want to hear issue. They want their leaders to exhibit signs of good upbringing. They want to hear how you will tar their roads; provide jobs, and food, and not abuses.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by 9ja4eva: 9:53am On Apr 08, 2007
Are we really sure this election will hold?Well its almost here.
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by doncartel: 2:04pm On Apr 08, 2007
few days to go folks.nigeria big sha.look at all the commotion around just lagos state wen there are 35 other elctions though lag is d biggest.everyone tighten ur seatbelts n prepare 4 takeoff.announcing pilot-captain j
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by dayokanu(m): 3:29pm On Apr 08, 2007
Lagosians vote anyone with a clean record be it Pedro, Agbaje, fashola or anyone but not a fraudster like Obanikoro that was born in 1960 and 1954 at the sametime me I am voting[b] Fashola[/b]
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by con9ja: 5:28pm On Apr 08, 2007
Hey guys the battle is not between us on this forum lets stop calling one another names, but lets discuss like the educated people we are.

I have a question for those that have been attacking Koro, how come INEC did not disqualify him based on AC's claims on the website?
Re: Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? by doncartel: 6:30pm On Apr 08, 2007
easy,because koro is in da eldaz kartel.same cartel obj,iwu and even nuhu belong to,led by my humble self.now we wouldnt disqualify our member would we con9ja?

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (31) (Reply)

Akpabio Suffers Setback In Bid To Retain Senate Seat / Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused / Obi Visits Chef Grace Nwaokobia (Guinness World Record) To Cheer Her Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.