Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,428 members, 7,884,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 06:29 PM

Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy (6186 Views)

Fayose Canvasses Juicy Ministerial Position For Fayemi / Sambo Canvasses Support For Buhari / Igbo Group Canvasses Support For Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 11:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Bini people will not go with you. You are talking about people whose empire spanned across Ondo, Lagos etc all the way to Ghana.
Itsekiri's will not go either, because despite infighting in Delta state, they are well represented, even though they are a minority. The current Delta state governor is an Itsekiri man, despite the overwhelming numbers of Igbo, Ijaw and Urhobo. I don't know of any other part of this country where that can occur. Itsekiri man will not want to be swallowed up and spat into irrelevance.

Bottomline, we love ourselves too much to let anybody go. cool

If there is going to be ND state, definitely Edo, Delta and Bayelsa will be better in ND state.

Like I said earlier who belong to where will be determined through referendum. Majority will carry the day.

Even places like Kwara and Kogi where Yorubas are dominant will vote to determine if want to part of Yorubaland or North.

my only fear for you beaf is that, due to high multi ethnicities prevailing in ND, ND might have a problem staying as one, The igbos dominant area might prefer to join east and some in Edo and Delta might still prefer to be part of Yoruba. Again oil politics might also work against you, if you understand what I mean.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Tsiya(m): 11:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Breaking away from Nigeria requires bold action from courageous leaders; Daniels, Akala, Ooni, are not the type of leaders to lead such a move. Even a courageous and well-meaning leader like Ojukwu was unable to free the Igbos from Nigeria. Having said that, the circumstances are different from the 60s. All in all, unless there are some credible leaders somewhere, the others are a bunch of jokers.

I think the idea of having an independent country is to have no one to blame for your ills. If the Yoruba go away as a Nation, assuming, they have good intention, they will have their own criminals, thieves, ashawos, police and a justice system that is not alien to their culture and belief and they do not need to compromise in order to make certain people happy.

However, I do not think the current Yoruba people agitating for an independent nation cares about the progress. Rather they just felt, since their own is  not the president or vice, they have lost a political voice. It is all about Political appointment. We saw what they did during OBJ and they will do the same thing when next a Yoruba man become President even if he is from Kwara.

But I think from their calculation, there won't be any Yoruba man as President of Nigeria in the next 36 years if the current system continues and that is not acceptable to them. Well I agree with this point
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 11:13pm On Jan 13, 2010
OAM4J:

If there is going to be ND state, definitely Edo, Delta and Bayelsa will be better in ND state.

Like I said earlier who belong to where will be determined through referendum. Majority will carry the day.

Even places like Kwara and Kogi where Yorubas are dominant will vote to determine if want to part of Yorubaland or North.

my only fear for you beaf is that, due to high multi ethnicities prevailing in ND, ND might have a problem staying as one, The igbos dominant area might prefer to join east and some in Edo and Delta might still prefer to be part of Yoruba. Again oil politics might also work against you, if you understand what I mean.  

My brother, believe me, we will have little problem staying together. I already pointed out that we have a minority group governor in Delta state right now and he won't be the last.
Even if a call is made to the Itsekiri's only, their land overlaps Ijaw land all along the coastline of Delta state and the Ijaw will staunchly refuse to be divided. Ijaw territory stretches from Ondo state, through Delta to Bayelsa and neighbouring states.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 11:15pm On Jan 13, 2010
Tsiya:

However, I do not think the current Yoruba people agitating for an independent nation cares about the progress. Rather they just felt, since their own is  not the president or vice, they have lost a political voice. It is all about Political appointment. We saw what they did during OBJ and they will do the same thing when next a Yoruba man become President even if he is from Kwara.

But I think from their calculation, there won't be any Yoruba man as President of Nigeria in the next 36 years if the current system continues and that is not acceptable to them. Well I agree with this point

If that is the case, then there is hope the Northerners will do the same after this dispensation and peacefully break away.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by sjeezy8: 11:19pm On Jan 13, 2010
Tsiya:

I think the idea of having an independent country is to have no one to blame for your ills. If the Yoruba go away as a Nation, assuming, they have good intention, they will have their own criminals, thieves, ashawos, police and a justice system that is not alien to their culture and belief and they do not need to compromise in order to make certain people happy.

However, I do not think the current Yoruba people agitating for an independent nation cares about the progress. Rather they just felt, since their own is not the president or vice, they have lost a political voice. It is all about Political appointment. We saw what they did during OBJ and they will do the same thing when next a Yoruba man become President even if he is from Kwara.

a yoruba can settle for a Kwaran or Kogi person
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 11:20pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

My brother, believe me, we will have little problem staying together. I already pointed out that we have a minority group governor in Delta state right now and he won't be the last.
Even if a call is made to the Itsekiri's only, their land overlaps Ijaw land all along the coastline of Delta state and the Ijaw will staunchly refuse to be divided. Ijaw territory stretches from Ondo state, through Delta to Bayelsa and neighbouring states.

Ijaw have no territory in Ondo state; Ijaw migration to Ondo was post-independence. Ijaw have a presence but not territory.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 11:22pm On Jan 13, 2010
aloy*emeka:

If that is the case, then there is hope the Northerners will do the same after this dispensation and peacefully break away.

I don't think so. The North does not believe in power sharing across the 6 geopolitical zones, what they accepted is the North/South-divide-sharing.

So if North hands over power by 2015, They expect  it back not later than 2023.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by sjeezy8: 11:24pm On Jan 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAAVqFKFCY&feature=related itsekiri  shocked shocked its like the ss yoruba verson mad ting
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Eziachi: 11:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are stuck in the past. There is no point in debating issues with you. I will not waste my time with someone that has so much hatred in him.

If asking you to stop looking for a marriage mate when you can be on your own means being stuck in the past, probably that will do for me.
How does that translates into being hateful?
It is a fact: You fought for one Nigeria and got one Nigeria, so you are not going anywhere so soon, if that means hate to you, then so be it.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 11:30pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ijaw have no territory in Ondo state; Ijaw migration to Ondo was post-independence. Ijaw have a presence but not territory.

No, there are over 50 Ijaw towns/villages in Ondo. Ijaws are riverine people, so they aren't in the hinterland.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by asha80(m): 11:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
sjeezy8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAAVqFKFCY&feature=related itsekiri shocked shocked its like the ss yoruba verson mad ting

Did you understand what they were saying without translation?
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 11:34pm On Jan 13, 2010
sjeezy8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAAVqFKFCY&feature=related itsekiri  shocked shocked its like the ss yoruba verson mad ting

That dance, the dressing music are all 100% ND. Nothing looks or sound like Yoruba there. grin grin grin
Abeg lef my ND peeps jare!
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Tsiya(m): 11:35pm On Jan 13, 2010
aloy*emeka:

No, there is no such thing as power rotation within the Northern states. But there is such thing as power ration within the southern states. The agreement was powershift between north and south, not geopolitical zones. If the current arrangement continues what you will have is:

2011-2015 North(4 years)
2015-2023 SouthSouth/SouthEast(8 years)
2023-2029 North (8 years)
2029-2037 SouthEast/SouthSouth(8 years)
2037-2045 North (8years)
- - - - - - - -+ (36 years)
2045----- Yoruba

So in their own primitive mind, they thing it will remain like this forever and therefore the need to stratagise otherwise they will be scheme out in the looting system.

Have you guys notice lately Olu Falae and Bola Tinubu (the self aclaimed new leaders of the Yoruba Nation) running helter skelter between between Lagos, Sokoto, Kaduna, Katsina and Adamawa trying to form a Mega Party? What did Olu Falae and Tinibu have in common with Buhari, Atiku and Bafarawa? And now seen that their Mega Party is not going to become a reality, they decide to instigate something from somewhere.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 11:36pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

No, there are over 50 Ijaw towns/villages in Ondo. Ijaws are riverine people, so they aren't in the hinterland.

There are several indian populated cities in the UK; does that make the UK, Indian territory? Like I said, the Ijaws migrated to the riverine areas in Ondo post independence. They have no territory.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 11:38pm On Jan 13, 2010
OAM4J:

I don't think so. The North does not believe in power sharing across the 6 geopolitical zones, what they accepted is the North/South-divide-sharing.

So if North hands over power by 2015, They expect  it back not later than 2023.

The mistake you are making is lumping the North together as one. Of course, the North should get the power back by 2023 only that it will be North central this time around. No wonder Obasanjo wanted to squeeze out 12 years because it may not get to his children again because they'll be too old in 36 years time.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by aloyemeka7: 11:41pm On Jan 13, 2010
Tsiya:

No, there is no such thing as power rotation within the Northern states. But there is such thing as power ration within the southern states. The agreement was powershift between north and south, not geopolitical zones. If the current arrangement continues what you will have is:

2011-2015 North(4 years)
2015-2023 SouthSouth/SouthEast(8 years)
2023-2029 North (8 years)
2029-2037 SouthEast/SouthSouth(8 years)
2037-2045 North (8years)
- - - - - - - -+ (36 years)
2045----- Yoruba

So in their own primitive mind, they thing it will remain like this forever and therefore the need to stratagise otherwise they will be scheme out in the looting system.

Have you guys notice lately Olu Falae and Bola Tinubu (the self aclaimed new leaders of the Yoruba Nation) running helter skelter between between Lagos, Sokoto, Kaduna, Katsina and Adamawa trying to form a Mega Party? What did Olu Falae and Tinibu have in common with Buhari, Atiku and Bafarawa? And now seen that their Mega Party is not going to become a reality, they decide to instigate something from somewhere.

I still love the Northern arrangement tho. They will not be missing anything since it comes to them after every 8 years but in the South, it's Yoruba fight with igbo, igbo fight with yoruba, ijaw curse yoruba, Yoruba curse Esan, Esan curse Bini, igbo curse Urhobo etc.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 11:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
To be honest, this group seeking autonomy don't represent Yoruba people. Its just the crooks seeking relevance as OAM4J and Katsumoto have noted. They are the Ibori's and Odili's of Yoruba land. The genuine leaders wouldn't make the sort of primitive and imperialistic land grab that those guys are making. Since Fashola isn't in that group, we can best forget about them.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 11:46pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

To be honest, this group seeking autonomy don't represent Yoruba people. Its just the crooks seeking relevance as OAM4J and Katsumoto have noted. They are the Ibori's and Odili's of Yoruba land. The genuine leaders wouldn't make the sort of primitive and imperialistic land grab that those guys are making. Since Fashola isn't in that group, we can best forget about them.

Correct
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Tsiya(m): 11:47pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

It is not any group seeking relevance. They represent the interest of the Yoruba nation and you will be suprise they are funded by their state governors and other political god fathers. Fashola for now is in the establishment and will not be publicly rocking the boat but he will be happy to support them. 2003 was just 6-7years ago and we wont easily forget their political machinations. All Yoruba have the same self interest. The OPC are serving the Yoruba interest and that is why they are supporting them.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 11:50pm On Jan 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

There are several indian populated cities in the UK; does that make the UK, Indian territory? Like I said, the Ijaws migrated to the riverine areas in Ondo post independence. They have no territory.

Everywhere I look, it says Ondo state has an indegenous Ijaw population called Apoi and Arogbo.

This link describes the Arogbo as middlemen in the slave trade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arogbo_clan
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 11:50pm On Jan 13, 2010
aloy*emeka:

The mistake you are making is lumping the North together as one. Of course, the North should get the power back by 2023 only that it will be North central this time around. No wonder Obasanjo wanted to squeeze out 12 years because it may not get to his children again because they'll be too old in 36 years time.

Actually a lot of people thought so too. But in 2007, A lot expected it will be the turn of the North East who had only produced Balewa since independence, but it didn't happen.

The North still believes in one north. It is on this note i am able to agree with recent comment of  Sanusi d CBN governor, when he said, the north succeeded in having one North, but the south has not been able to achieve one south since independence.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 11:51pm On Jan 13, 2010
Tsiya:

It is not any group seeking relevance. They represent the interest of the Yoruba nation and you will be suprise they are funded by their state governors and other political god fathers. Fashola for now is in the establishment and will not be publicly rocking the boat but he will be happy to support them. 2003 was just 6-7years ago and we wont easily forget their political machinations. All Yoruba have the same self interest. The OPC are serving the Yoruba interest and that is why they are supporting them.

How can political thugs and thieves represent a group of Nigeria? We are talking about Nigeria here. How can Tinubu, Akala, Daniels represent anyone except their pockets and political dynasty?
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 11:53pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Right.

Tsiya:

Wrong.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 11:56pm On Jan 13, 2010
OAM4J:

Actually a lot of people thought so too. But in 2007, A lot expected it will be the turn of the North East who had only produced Balewa since independence, but it didn't happen.

The North still believes in one north. It is on this note i am able to agree with recent comment of  Sanusi d CBN governor, when he said, the north succeeded in having one North, but the south has not been able to achieve one south since independence.

Cultural differences make it easier for unity in the North and more difficult in the South. Thats why the British selfishly left power in the North.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Tsiya(m): 11:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
The political and economic system in Nigeria is for thugs and thieves and no matter how intellegently you argue, the fact on the ground is divergent to your reasoning. The Ekiti election and Anambara are good example of what is happening on ground. Therefore don't be carried away by political correctness. Fashola is a product of the corrupt system and don't expect him to be differen in 2011 if there is another more credible candidate, he can employ all the agberos to rig the election.

Our political sytem is intertwined with thuggery, thievery and tribalism. You cannot divorce them
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 12:01am On Jan 14, 2010
Tsiya:

The political and economic system in Nigeria is for thugs and thieves and no matter how intellegently you argue, the fact on the ground is divergent to your reasoning. The Ekiti election and Anambara are good example of what is happening on ground. Therefore don't be carried away by political correctness. Fashola is a product of the corrupt system and don't expect him to be differen in 2011 if there is another more credible candidate, he can employ all the agberos to rig the election.

Our political sytem is intertwined with thuggery, thievery and tribalism. You cannot divorce them

I am not disputing this; what I dispute is your comment about thieves representing the people. It is simple, they do not represent anyone but themselves.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Tsiya(m): 12:02am On Jan 14, 2010
Katsumoto:

Cultural differences make it easier for unity in the North and more difficult in the South. Thats why the British selfishly left power in the North.

Actually the British did not leave power in the north. The British left a loose federation of 3 nations, where individual regions control their economic and political system.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by No2Atheism(m): 12:03am On Jan 14, 2010
Katsumoto:

shocked shocked shocked

men i always learn knew things on nairaland . . . sincerely speaking prior to this ur statement, i used to think Ijaws actually had a legitimate claim to land ownership in parts of Ondo state.

1. Do you realise that you have made a very serious allegation . . .

2. Are you trying to say that: Ijaws are to Ondo what Modakeke is to Ile-Ife . . .

3. Do you realise that you are saying that Ijaws are tenants in Ondo state . . .

4. Can you please provide an academic link to support your statement that Ijaws do not really have any land ownership in Ondo state. . .
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Tsiya(m): 12:04am On Jan 14, 2010
Katsumoto:

I am not disputing this; what I dispute is your comment about thieves representing the people. It is simple, they do not represent anyone but themselves.

Either the people are blind to follow them, or they represent the will of the people. Else people like Adedebu won't have had any influence in our society.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by OAM4J: 12:06am On Jan 14, 2010
Katsumoto:

The hausas, Kanuris, nupes, fulanis and the other tribes that made up the north had little in common pre the formation of Nigeria as a state. But Amadu Bello succeded in creating one political North.

But it so difficult/impossible for us to have one south
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Katsumoto: 12:20am On Jan 14, 2010
No2Atheism:

shocked shocked shocked

men i always learn knew things on nairaland . . . sincerely speaking prior to this your statement, i used to think Ijaws actually had a legitimate claim to land ownership in parts of Ondo state.

1. Do you realise that you have made a very serious allegation . . .

2. Are you trying to say that: Ijaws are to Ondo what Modakeke is to Ile-Ife . . .

3. Do you realise that you are saying that Ijaws are tenants in Ondo state . . .

4. Can you please provide an academic link to support your statement that Ijaws do not really have any land ownership in Ondo state. . .

I don't need to provide any academic link; let the Ijaws claim they were part of Ondo state before Independence. To answer your question, yes, they are guests. That is the problem with Migration sometimes; guests forget they are guests. Just like the Asian muslims clamouring for Sharia law in the UK.
Re: Group Canvasses For Yoruba Autonomy by Beaf: 12:22am On Jan 14, 2010
^
They aren't guests, you are commiting a grievous error.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Is Anambra State Always In The News ? / Breaking News..abuja High Court Removes Adamu Muazu As PDP National Chairman / President Obama Breaking His Fast At White House (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.