Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,959 members, 7,927,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 12:54 AM

87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (20625 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Basildon1(m): 5:07pm On Jan 28, 2010
I'v read a lot of comments and I see why Nigeria as a whole will hardly develop, The F***ING pull-him-down syndrome, God knows that anybody that doubts they made first class is a F.O.O.L,

There is no institution in this world that it is easy to get a first class, you can bribe/screw/copy your way to passing(even making a low 2.1) but not to getting a First Class!!!!!

As for the other beefers that say what's the use of first class with no jobs available, that's just plain stupid talk, I dont even have to explain further
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 5:48pm On Jan 28, 2010
Seems a lot of people have school inferiority complex grin grin grin

Unilag is better than delsu (made prolly by a unilag student)
Delsu is better than unilag grin grin grin (made definitely by a delsu student)
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 28, 2010
Can't you all see that Unilag is projecting her students for the best? After all we all chase the same jobs and nobody cares the institution you got your degree when it's time to show off your class of degree. Is it not amazing that in a class of 156 in chemical Engineering, 112 made first class and second class upper?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by jossylad86(m): 7:01pm On Jan 28, 2010
Wow! Unilag is at it again. But u never can tell, it might be true. Hardwork still pays but i just hope they perform well in their fields. God bless Nigeria
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by H2O2: 7:11pm On Jan 28, 2010
fynewaka:

Can't you all see that Unilag is projecting her students for the best? After all we all chase the same jobs and nobody cares the institution you got your degree when it's time to show off your class of degree. Is it not amazing that in a class of 156 in chemical Engineering, 112 made first class and second class upper?
In short, diluted degrees
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Basildon1(m): 7:16pm On Jan 28, 2010
fynewaka:

Think before your you post lest you keep proving you have itchy fingers accompanied by a lack of intelligence, where d hell did you get this rubbish from, bloody nuisance
H2O2:

In short, diluted degrees
Your believing what he said is really unbelievable, it doesnt even add up, 112 in a single dept when we are talking of 87 in a whole school, seekiing a point doesnt mean clutching at straws, invisible ones too
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 7:33pm On Jan 28, 2010
imagine 24 upper out of more than 300 students in lasu convocation last year in a/c dept , 13 upper out of about 200 in b/f dept, d fact is dat unilag produce more 2/1 because of it admin set up and der lecturer
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by H2O2: 9:49pm On Jan 28, 2010
Basildon1:

Think before your you post lest you keep proving you have itchy fingers accompanied by a lack of intelligence, where d hell did you get this rubbish from, bloody nuisance Your believing what he said is really unbelievable, it doesnt even add up, 112 in a single dept when we are talking of 87 in a whole school, seekiing a point doesnt mean clutching at straws, invisible ones too
Me thinketh he said 112 first class and second class upper
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by profb: 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
i congratulate them oooo
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by volasunkan: 11:24pm On Jan 28, 2010
Great, I envy those students. I think the reason Y we have lots of 1st class grads from mostly 1st generation university, even though Unilag isnt one, is that U have lecturers who also graduated wit 1st class when they were students 2. Though I didnt go finish from a 1st generation University, not even a 2nd generation, but a state university. It baffled me that weneva i wrote an examination 4a course taken by a visiting lecturer I score nothin less than 'A', but rarely would I score A in a course lectured by say my HOD or other lecturers in my department. A reason Y couldnt make a 1st class but a weak 2nd class upper

pls get ur facts,unilag(1962) is a FIRST GENERATION UNIVERSITY, other skls in that class are UI(1948),UNN(1958?),ABU(1962),OAU(1962).Prior to independence in 1960,U.I was just a university college affiliated to university of London and became a full fledge university around 1960-1961.any other skl whether uniport,uniben,unilorin etc ARE IN THE LOWER or later CLASS,they were set up and even up till now run by products of these 1st generation skls,OSU came to akoka to get VC,LASU went to UI to get VC,this trend still continues till today,it smacks of infantile rubbish wen u come online and compare unilag with lasu,delsu,unilorin etc.IN FACT,UNILAG dons were consulted in the setting up of lasu etc.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by skyone(m): 12:39am On Jan 29, 2010
DEC. 2005 at the Barbican Centre we were 23 students that gained a 1st class honours at LMU school of business and that's apart from students who were awarded the same honours from other discipline.

Therefore no big deal in first- class.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by beejaei: 12:46am On Jan 29, 2010
Of the greatest ife! Articulate Ife! What we are saying, ", "
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 12:53am On Jan 29, 2010
skyone:

DEC. 2005 at the Barbican Centre we were 23 students that gained a 1st class honours at LMU school of business and that's apart from students who were awarded the same honours from other discipline.

That simply reflects the view of your school and the quality of their products.

Each schools is free to set the standard and determine the quality of students that are awarded a particular degree. The onus is on the industry to discern between schools.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 1:26am On Jan 29, 2010
skyone:

Is that london met?

I am still shocked at the small number of first class holders in Nigerian Universities. Why do they make it so hard?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Redman44(m): 1:31am On Jan 29, 2010
Why is it so difficult to make a 1st class in the Social Sciences and Arts Faculties? Why is it that the majority of 1st Class graduates always come from the Sciences and Technology Departments? At the University of Ibadan, you will hardly find 1st class graduates in the Arts Faculty, where I graduated from. 2:1 is the highest you can achieve, with only one or two miracle 1st class graduands once in a while. And this is not about lecturers marking people down sad sad Tell me, have you ever seen a first class graduate of History or philosophy from your uni? [ I want to know from nairalanders ]. It seems some courses require a lot of deep research and good presentation of ideas in essay format while some courses are like knowing the right formula and getting the high scores. Some courses are like computer programmes [ key in the right codes and get the results ], while some are highly vague with you working hard to find the right information that will make a good essay. Hmn. Just try and study History, Sociology, Political Science etc. You'll get my drift. Cheers.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by skyone(m): 1:40am On Jan 29, 2010
biina:

That simply reflects the view of your school and the quality of their products.

Each schools is free to set the standard and determine the quality of students that are awarded a particular degree. The onus is on the industry to discern between schools.

I'm afraid your post unviel your low understanding of what quality means in education or perhaps what it means to set a standard. There's nothing like "free to set a standard" it has to be based on several conditions i.e quality of students, standard of learning, etc.

And i beg your pardon non of the Nigeria Univeristies can match up with London- Met or LSE where i'm currently studying. Not been proud though but the fact
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 2:17am On Jan 29, 2010
I'm afraid your post unviel your low understanding of what quality means in education or perhaps what it means to set a standard. There's nothing like "free to set a standard" it has to be based on several conditions i.e quality of students, standard of learning, etc.

A bit true.

For Every Ones Information: Harvard University is known to graduate at least 60-70% (Rumored) of honors student in its undergraduate. That means in a class of 2000 students, 1400+ have a second class upper and above. Tell me about dashing grades grin
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by H2O2: 2:38am On Jan 29, 2010
Grade inflation

Same with stanfurd
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 3:54am On Jan 29, 2010
@ vola - focus on d present trend. u cant compare unilag to lasu in terms of scoring of grade. i stil recal when some lecturers in faculty of law and art teling stu dat dey shud forget about 1st class, lasu law is one of d best in nig and dey never produce a 1st class. den go fustrate yur life wit large volume of courses,imagine me stil offering 11courses in 300level in a/c dept ( is dat not madness ? ) d nos of unilag 1st class is large.done.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 29, 2010
@skyone

Say after me i will never write those lie above again, simply because i am studying in U.K.    And you'll be pardon.  
That's felony 'Lse and Met' are known to admit mostly below par/average student, So please stop fronting as if both Unis have ever been good. Lse is a former poly with a poor standard in southbank, that's probably why you find most Blacks/Nigerians there.

By the way i studied in Imperial college london in Kensington with a 1st in Meng, I believe you know that's not a easy 1.

IMPERIAL COLLEGE Alevel Requirement AAA CHEM. PHY. MATHS.
LSE & MET- BCC-CDD i believe.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Nobody: 4:07am On Jan 29, 2010
Please you people need to do some research before you put your hand on keyboard. Please click the World University ranking link below, Stanford is not in to 10, just as Nigerian University is not in world 1500.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/results
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by jalether(m): 4:18am On Jan 29, 2010
Redman44:

Why is it so difficult to make a 1st class in the Social Sciences and Arts Faculties? Why is it that the majority of 1st Class graduates always come from the Sciences and Technology Departments? At the University of Ibadan, you will hardly find 1st class graduates in the Arts Faculty, where I graduated from. 2:1 is the highest you can achieve, with only one or two miracle 1st class graduands once in a while. And this is not about lecturers marking people down sad sad Tell me, have you ever seen a first class graduate of History or philosophy from your uni? [ I want to know from nairalanders ]. It seems some courses require a lot of deep research and good presentation of ideas in essay format while some courses are like knowing the right formula and getting the high scores. Some courses are like computer programmes [ key in the right codes and get the results ], while some are highly vague with you working hard to find the right information that will make a good essay. Hmn. Just try and study History, Sociology, Political Science etc. You'll get my drift. Cheers.

You have just spoken my mind, some reference list of social science's coursework can easily pass for a dissertation (quantity wise) grin

what does that mean, extensive, deep research, research and more research which obviously is time consuming, after that you

still have to deal with the difficult task of putting the theories down in a coherent, contextual and academical essay format.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Theblessed(f): 4:48am On Jan 29, 2010
[b]Hmmmm! Give me a break! Nigerian Degrees? Believe you me 90% of those First Class degrees are all fraud. 

Imagine, a friend's relative now living in New York got a "First" from that University without even lifting a finger let alone a foot and not to talk of burning a lantern - they paid their way through. How come, I hear some ask? Half way though their courses, they won American Lottery and had to leave before it expires that's how and that's the nature of Nigerian degrees, should I be asked.

You see, one can buy it from anywhere in the world so long as you have the money. Shame, everyone is aware of this corruption/fraud - favours, bottom power, money power that are so inherent and long absorbing our Educational system but, nothing is done about it. Shame, Shame, Shame!!!!

Thus, the reason Nigerian degrees are trashed in the bin in the West 'cos they are not credible - Nigerian students are sent back to classrooms to get brushed up before actually embarking on the very course they came to study, and that can be very costly and frustrating for most of them.

And, who is to blame? Glad we all know, who! Therefore, a 'First' in such environment does not really prove ones academic wizardry. In fact, I have huge respect for those with a 'third' as I believe they actually 'Read and did all the hard work themselves' than anyone with a silly 'First'.

So, anyone with a First from these Universities should hide away if I were them 'cos them/their 'First Class Degrees' are nothing but fraud and thus, lack credibility. Therefore, should not mention about it anywhere/in the midst of intelligent people, I must advice yet, I congratulate a few that got theirs through hard work!
[/b]
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Omolulu(m): 5:04am On Jan 29, 2010
Theblessed:

[b]Hmmmm! Give me a break! Nigerian Degrees? Believe you me 90% of those First Class degrees are all fraud. 

Imagine, a friend's relative now living in New York got a "First" from that University without even lifting a finger let alone a foot and not to talk of burning a lantern - they paid their way through. How come, I hear some ask? Half way though their courses, they won American Lottery and had to leave before it expires that's how and that's the nature of Nigerian degrees, should I be asked.

You see, one can buy it from anywhere in the world so long as you have the money. Shame, everyone is aware of this corruption/fraud - favours, bottom power, money power that are so inherent and long absorbing our Educational system but, nothing is done about it. Shame, Shame, Shame!!!!

Thus, the reason Nigerian degrees are trashed in the bin in the West 'cos they are not credible - Nigerian students are sent back to classrooms to get brushed up before actually embarking on the very course they came to study, and that can be very costly and frustrating for most of them.

And, who is to blame? Glad we all know, who! Therefore, a 'First' in such environment does not really prove ones academic wizardry. In fact, I have huge respect for those with a 'third' as I believe they actually 'Read and did all the hard work themselves' than anyone with a silly 'First'.

So, anyone with a First from these Universities should hide away if I were them 'cos them/their 'First Class Degrees' are nothing but fraud and thus, lack credibility. Therefore, should not mention about it anywhere/in the midst of intelligent people, I must advice yet, I congratulate a few that got theirs through hard work!
[/b]    

Are you using the example of your so-called friend's relative to judge the intelligence of a whole system, before u post anything calm down and think before blabbing all through the thread of how every first class student bought their degree from the school. i also have a younger one who graduated with this set and he had a first class, need i mention that he has a track record of academic excellence so this is no surprise to his family members, obviously i'm not surprised you "feel it was the third class students that actually read and were cheated of their marks, it never occured to u that they may have been unserious for four years and are now shouting that they were cheated, for your information, how many Nigerian students are sent back to brush up before they further their studies abroad, it is illiterates like you that make them do such if such actually happens, Besides talk for your family member alone who is a cheat and bought his or her way out of school and don't stigmatize others because of the bad egg you are associated with.
  So i would give you a break to reflect on your silly piece and would advise you carry this silly mentality of yours to romance or politics section, i'm sure they would have your cure

1 Like

Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by kalabi: 9:03am On Jan 29, 2010
@ Omololu,

thank u for your reply for that 3rd class guy.

I have said yesterday, those people looking down on those first class student, it is jealous that is killing them especially that guy that said he prefer 3rd class to 1st class, that guy must have passes out with 3rd class or if stll in school is a 3rd class student.

People should think very well before they write anything here , they should be objective, for the fact that you passed out with 3rd class does not mean other can not make 1st class.

Encourage those guy and appreciate them.

i still don't believe that as bad as Nigeria education that anybody can buy 1st class with money, there is a lot of condition attach to 1st class in Unilag, is not base on your accademic alone, it involve your character, no bad record , your attitude in the class and they look at your performance from year 1 to the last year, external examiner will look at it, Governing council will check. They dont just give away first class any how they give it to those that deserve it
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 9:12am On Jan 29, 2010
skyone:

And i beg your pardon non of the Nigeria Univeristies can match up with London- Met or LSE where i'm currently studying. Not been proud though but the fact
You sound defensive  undecided
A standard is that which is set a priori, while quality is measure of the actual product and how well they meet the set standard.

What you have across schools is a minimum requirement for accreditation. There is no ubiquitous standard that is used across campuses (or even across departments in the same school) for awarding class of degree. To think that the quality of students awarded a particular degree is independent of the awarding school is hilarious. You cannot equate a first class student from OAU to one from Bayero, or one from Imperial College  to one from coventry, or an equivalent (summa cum laude) from MIT to one from san jose state university. You cant do it for first class students, nor can you do it at the lower classes. Its simply because the quality of your graduates implicitly depends on the quality of your intake, and  the effectiveness of the system in imparting knowledge. Still the class of degree is something that is determined within the school without correspondence  to others. One might be tempted to look at metrics like the GPA, but remember that a GPA is simply a reflection of your grades, which is in turn a function of the lecturer examining and awarding said grades, and since the quality of lecturers varies also from school to school, so thus the grades awarded for similar quality of work. There is no accuracy in awarding degrees, but what you will expect is for the process to be precise i.e. the quality of students that are awarded the same class of degree by a particular school to be similar from year to year.

If your school produces more first class students than Cambridge or Oxford, does not make the students from your school better than those from cambridge. In fact I would say it is the reverse. Neither can you say that the first class student from your school is as good as those from Cambridge, cos most likely the overall quality of their admission is much better than your school's.

While Nigerian Universities might not be the best in the world, their products can hold up to the best of them. You can go to various top schools and you will find Nigerian students doing quite well in their graduate programs, which is evidence of a good enough undergraduate background. Nigerian Universities' lack of infrastructure is one of their many problems, but that the top schools in Nigeria can not matchup to an average school in the UK (like London Metroplolitan) is simply a figment of your imagination.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 9:22am On Jan 29, 2010
H2O2:

Grade inflation

Same with stanfurd
There is really no such thing as 'grade inflation', else there would be a standard grading.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 9:29am On Jan 29, 2010
I think the difficulty in getting a first class in faulties like law, humanities, Arts etc migfht be dues to
- the subjective nature of evaluation, as unlike in enginerring and science where the solution is often exact
- a bias in the quality of intake, as the more brilliant students are often guided into science classes at the secondary school level
- historical references i.e. there has never been a first class in this department
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by chidichris(m): 9:54am On Jan 29, 2010
we all know the implications of nigerian first class.
at unilag, we expect at least 300 first class graduates.
many of our okada men and gate men in lagos are first class holders.
it is obvious these first class awards can never mean anything to ppl from benin republic talkless of advanced countries of the world.
our educational system is a bad news so no feelings for these first class madness.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by H2O2: 10:28am On Jan 29, 2010
biina:

I think the difficulty in getting a first class in faulties like law, humanities, Arts etc migfht be dues to
- the subjective nature of evaluation, as unlike in enginerring and science where the solution is often exact
- a bias in the quality of intake, as the more brilliant students are often guided into science classes at the secondary school level
- historical references i.e. there has never been a first class in this department
Lol are you serious? I beg to disagree. But I will save the argument for some other time.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 29, 2010
@ Biina

As much as i would like to totally agree with your statement, But the fact that a Top Nigeria University can match an average U.k University is totally wrong i'm afraid. On the contrary i know the product from Nigerian University can match or in fact better U.k student in terms of performance, but on knowledge basis. Most Nigerian teaching are outdated anyways, that's why they can't match U.k average University.

So the fact is Nigerian can only match or better low performing U.k University not average,  Take a look at this table and tell me Nigeria University can match this average list.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 10:35am On Jan 29, 2010
micktosin:

@ Biina

As much as i would like to totally agree with your statement, But the fact that a Top Nigeria University can match an average U.k University is totally wrong i'm afraid. On the contrary i know the product from Nigerian University can match or in fact better U.k student in terms of performance, but on knowledge basis. Most Nigerian teaching are outdated anyways, that's why they can't match U.k average University.

So the fact is Nigerian can only match or better low performing U.k University not average,  Take a look at this table and tell me Nigeria University can match this average list.
which table?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do I Improve My Maths? / Teacher Flogs 12-year-old Pupil To Death / Branches Of Jamb Office To Get Your Change Of Institution/course Form

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.