Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,956 members, 7,927,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 12:29 AM

87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (20623 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 7:44am On Feb 02, 2010
I have met products from UI and OAU Ife, and the few first class among them that I know can hold their own againts the best of them.

With all these bashing, is there no product of Unilag who can defend their honor? undecided
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Jarus(m): 10:57am On Feb 02, 2010
biina:

I have met products from UI and OAU Ife, and the few first class among them that I know can hold their own againts the best of them.

With all these bashing, is there no product of Unilag who can defend their honor? undecided
I am an Ife grad, and I am more than ready to take on anybody questioning its standard.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Gbana(m): 11:51am On Feb 02, 2010
[pre][/pre]
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Theblessed(f): 8:10pm On Feb 02, 2010
greall12:

I am also a graduate,All these first class it"s look some how to me,Is not easily to got first class in a school strict with exam, with a senior lecture"s,If they go school like U.I i bet those first class student wil fall into 2nd class upper or Lower,this is unsound.i don"t  belive UNILAG and reading like U.I UNI ILORIN & co

Boy, did you say you're a graduate? From which University and what did you study?

Hmmm! But I must say this, it's so irritating seeing a University graduate with very bad grammar, indeed!

In fact, you would have been forgiven if you hadn't told us you're a graduate or go pidgin instead. Your grammar/sentence composing skills needs some help here.  I'm sorry if I had hurt but that's the truth as I could not stomach it myself.

Yes, I understand English language is not our mother tongue but as a graduate, a lot is expected here.
Hope you do something about it.  If I may suggest, regular reading could help - read anything you see/observe the style/manner they are written/presented e.g. books, novels, Newspapers/Magazines etc and read regularly sure, it would be ok.

Cheers!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 9:27pm On Feb 02, 2010
had friends dat ar in unilag and dey aren't better dan me yet der average g.p is 4.4 sometin. let d 85 1st class stu come to lasu and face challenges ,because dey wil end up wit 2/1. imagine lecturers in fac of art and law teling stu dat dey can never come out wit 1st class ,and dat record is stil der because lasu law never produce a 1st class yet it among d best in nig. d truth is dat rate at which unilag produce 1/1 is high
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Omolulu(m): 2:12am On Feb 03, 2010
greall12:

I am also a graduate,All these first class it"s look some how to me,Is not easily to got first class in a school strict with exam, with a senior lecture"s,If they go school like U.I i bet those first class student wil fall into 2nd class upper or Lower,this is unsound.i don"t belive UNILAG and reading like U.I UNI ILORIN & co
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!! u sef be graduate, u suppose write JAMB 3 times before dem send u go college of education, my friend don't u ever insult any graduate of UNILAG, any graduate until express urself properly, HAS U HEAR?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 6:42am On Feb 03, 2010
@ theblesing and omololu - d guy is saying d fact
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by homiben(m): 8:39am On Feb 03, 2010
[color=#000099][/color]
what can a student say, than to wish he or she were in the shoes of these 87.
Congrats to em
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Theblessed(f): 1:08pm On Feb 03, 2010
luvola:

@ theblesing and omololu - d guy is saying d fact
But who say the guy is not saying the truth?  In fact, you don't understand  where I and Omololu are coming from.

We mean his English grammar/writing skills are disgraceful for a graduate in that capacity.  Therefore, he shouldn't have any legs to stand on here and condemn Unilag 'First Class' graduates as he can't even hold two sentences together himself.

According to the Bible, one has to first of all remove the log in your own eyes to be able to see clearly in order to remove the pin in another man's eyes and that's the truth.  He shouldn't condemn them, when his own education is shady!

So, that's where I and Omololu are coming from, ok! Glad someone saw what I saw and shouted too!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by mabell: 10:03pm On Feb 03, 2010
smileycongrats to you all
here's wishing you all the best as you forge ahead
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by volasunkan: 10:31pm On Feb 03, 2010
FEW LISTS OF AKOKITES
wole olanipekun(current pro-chancellor of UI)
Sonny kuku(chairman governing board of UCH)
SOWORE(sahara reporters)
TUNDE BAKARE(Ofcourse everyone knows him!)

just to mention a few,and these guys with first class brains ARE NOT EVEN FIRST CLASS alumna OF UNILAG!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by volasunkan: 10:39pm On Feb 03, 2010
FEW LISTS OF AKOKITES
wole olanipekun(current pro-chancellor of UI)
Sonny kuku(chairman governing board of UCH)
SOWORE(sahara reporters)
TUNDE BAKARE(Ofcourse everyone knows him!)

just to mention a few,and these guys with first class brains ARE NOT EVEN FIRST CLASS alumna OF UNILAG!
just beef,beef,beef and beef.if unilag did not admit you does not mean you should run down the school!the skl, like every other skls, is not perfect but still the best run skl in nigeria!i've met extremely talented unilag students who dont even bother to scream their superiority,they said empty barrel makes the loudest noise.just imagine the beef,jealous people!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 11:48pm On Feb 03, 2010
@ vola - unilag isn't d best in nig.search 2009 nig universities web ranking , unilorin,uniport,lasu ,u.i place 1st,2nd,3rd,4th respectively. always think b 4 posting man . search thru google d current first 100 university in africa
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 11:49pm On Feb 03, 2010
@ vola - unilag isn't d best in nig.search 2009 nig universities web ranking , unilorin,uniport,lasu ,u.i place 1st,2nd,3rd,4th respectively. always think b 4 posting man . search thru google d current first 100 university in africa
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 11:55pm On Feb 03, 2010
congrat to d 1st class stu of unilag but am challenging dem mak den pack all der 1st class law stu come lasu law whether den go mak 2/1 self
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 7:43am On Feb 04, 2010
@volasunkan
The point of the conv was the quality of Unilag 1st class student, and not if any Unilag Alum was successful. undecided
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by dandy002(m): 11:28am On Feb 04, 2010
can sombody pls tell me wot's going on in oau?
i wrote the post ume but still insist on not checkin my result becos
am very sure i did the exams preety well! have they pasted the freshers list?
i will really apreciate a reply from anybdy who knows pls.
my fone no., is 08037660132
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Druss(m): 1:43pm On Feb 07, 2010
Congratulations to the students and may their hard work also reap benefits for them in either entrepreneurship or working for someone else.

Congrats once more!

I have also read through the post and I can see the problem in Nigeria. I personally didn't get a first in uni HOWEVER I know some UNILAG first class students. One is my father and he is exceptional in his field. I have two colleagues who are extremely brilliant and they are both first class students. All the first class students I have met from UNILAG have been pretty good in their fields which indicates they are doing something right.

It is possible that UNILAG can have 100% first class students. There is no law stating that this cannot happen. 87 is a small number in actual fact and if this is their highest then it shows that the current crop is exceptional. It is haters and mental destroyers, people with a very large chip on their shoulders that would say that these people cheated!!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Joseph6(m): 8:52am On Feb 20, 2010
blackcypha:

ME THINKS DATS WAY OFF THE CHARTS!
I FINISHED 4RM YABATECH ND I CAN CONFIDENTLY TELL U DAT I HAVE A FRIEND WHO managed to make AN UPPER IN CIVIL ENGINEERING
IN YABATECH but was able to make a FIRST CLASS IN DSAME COURSE IN Unilag
so please let us be honest to ourselves,some ploytekniks like yabatech r more difficult to gradute 4rm like unis as
Unilag, 
But d person has done it b4 (even if he didnt get a 1st class in d poly) wat else dju expect 4rm such a person?. Is ur beef wit unilag? coz I find ur comment as abysmal and thrashy as can be. Buh i lyk u so no h8.lol!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Tarzan2009: 3:00pm On Feb 12, 2011
Be extremely careful when you say: "U.S grade is inflated!" Be very careful when you say this, honestly. Let me make this as clearly as I can, Attainment of 4.0 G.P.A depends on what you are majoring in or studying. I can have fun 24-7, party all week and still have 3.8-4.0 G.P.A if I were majoring in social sciences, humanities and pure sciences. However, its never possible in engineering, I repeat NEVER POSSIBLE IN ENGINEERING. This needs more effort and time than other majors or courses. Go to any engineering departments in U.S(minus computer engineering, which is half science) and take a pretty good look at their past and current students' cumulative G.P.A and you would be shocked, and will probably retract or review your earlier comment. 95% of all engineering students in U.S average 3.3 G.P.A, historically and today, nothing close to 4.0, only in rare cases.

United States was rated as the most difficult place in the world to study engineering(bachelor of science, not masters of ph.d, these are cake walk), which is why U.S trained engineers are sought after by multinational companies around the world. It is the most rigorous engineering curriculum in the history of mankind. Don't debate this with me because I was also an engineering student in Nigeria before I moved to U.S. You remember Gregory Ugwi, the guy with the highest jamb score in 2002 and was awarded scholarship to attend Princeton University, track him down today and ask him what he feels about U.S engineering curriculum.

What is my point: difficulties in some courses or majors vary by countries. For example, medical school in Nigeria is more rigorous( I don't mean best, understand the difference) than most countries in the world, including U.S. You can verify this with Dr. Chimaroke Nnnamani, studied medicine in both Nigeria and U.S with distinctions. I understand he may be a kleptocrat, however his educational excellence as a young man can't be taken away from him. Now, medical schools in Nigeria don't have the best teaching equipment to train these students well, however they do the best they can with what they have. You will find that 95% of Nigeria medical school students graduated from high school with distinctions and higher JAMB score! You can't say the same for engineering or other majors. By contrast, engineering in U.S is more rigorous compared to other countries.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 3:16pm On Feb 12, 2011
You remember Gregory Ugwi, the guy with the highest jamb score in 2002 and was awarded scholarship to attend Princeton University, track him down today and ask him what he feels about U.S engineering curriculum.

^ Did u go to loyola?

Yeah I noticed the Greg Ugwi guy dropped Engineering to study Mathematics. If you know him personally was it because it was too hard or because he did not like engineering?

True though a lot of Nigerian students who were literally the best in Nigeria (Like best in the whole of Nigeria in WAEC) and went to top schools in teh US to study engineering and hard sciences would tell you how challenging the curriculum is.

Nevertheless, I still think the US educational system is grade inflated tongue, not as grade inflated as the UK but still inflated. Yes not in the sciences but the social sciences its just too much especially in Government, Sociology e.t.c

Also it depends on your school, I have some old classmates who have a 3.7 in engineering though they work hard but they are not the brightest bunch on the planet.

You will find that 95% of Nigeria medical school students graduated from high school with distinctions and higher JAMB score! You can't say the same for engineering or other majors. By contrast, engineering in U.S is more rigorous compared to other countries.

I strongly differ. Most of the students I know going to engineering were the best in WAEC with lots 5-8 A1 and none I know made a 1st Class in Engineering though theyw ere very very close. The people studying medicine too were academically hot but the engineering ones were equally the best in Nigeria.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 3:30pm On Feb 12, 2011
Backtracked your posts- seems you went to school with Greg Ugwi- so you were better than him academically. Wow impressive though.

The guy was all over the newspapers, and his story served as an inspiration to most Nigerians.

However it seems that more and more people from loyola have surpassed his achievements from what I have seen.

Wetin you guys dey chop for loyola sef?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Tarzan2009: 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ Did u go to loyola?

Yeah I noticed the Greg Ugwi guy dropped Engineering to study Mathematics. If you know him personally was it because it was too hard or because he did not like engineering?

True though a lot of Nigerian students who were literally the best in Nigeria (Like best in the whole of Nigeria in WAEC) and went to top schools in teh US to study engineering and hard sciences would tell you how challenging the curriculum is.

Nevertheless, I still think the US educational system is grade inflated tongue, not as grade inflated as the UK but still inflated. Yes not in the sciences but the social sciences its just too much especially in Government, Sociology e.t.c

Also it depends on your school, I have some old classmates who have a 3.7 in engineering though they work hard but they are not the brightest bunch on the planet.

I strongly differ. Most of the students I know going to engineering were the best in WAEC with lots 5-8 A1 and none I know made a 1st Class in Engineering though theyw ere very very close. The people studying medicine too were academically hot but the engineering ones were equally the best in Nigeria.

Why Gregory Ugwi changed to Mathematics, honestly I have no clue. I didn't think the question had to do with if he could it handle it or not. He could handle any course, medicine or engineering. However, he had enormous proficiency in mathematics. I think its more of a decision of choice. Gregory is one of the most brilliant minds I have ever come across.
He works for U.S Goldman Sacks today, same company our Minister of finance, Mr. Olusegun Aganga worked for in managing Director capacity but in london.

I returned to the country 2 years ago. Attended Loyola Jesuit College. We were the first sets of students in that school. Still have a vivid memory of the Sosoliso airline crash that killed 60 students of our own. Most of them close friends of my. Graduated Magma cum Laude from (U.S version first class honors with more prominence, in that you have to defend most of your senior works, and all faculty member/professors in your department must sign before such award is bestowed ) from CU Boulder, and currently a senior engineer at NNPC, Abuja. There is nothing like home!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 5:16pm On Feb 12, 2011

Why Gregory Ugwi changed to Mathematics, honestly I have no clue. I didn't think the question had to do with if he could it handle it or not. He could handle any course, medicine or engineering. However, he had enormous proficiency in mathematics. I think its more of a decision of choice. Gregory is one of the most brilliant minds I have ever come across.
He works for U.S Goldman Sacks today, same company our Minister of finance, Mr. Olusegun Aganga worked for in managing Director capacity but in london.

I returned to the country 2 years ago. Attended Loyola Jesuit College. We were the first sets of students in that school. Still have a vivid memory of the Sosoliso airline crash that killed 60 students of our own. Most of them close friends of my. Graduated Magma cumlaude from (U.S version first class honors with more prominence, in that you have to defend most of your senior works, and all faculty member/professors in your department must sign before such award is bestowed ) from CU Boulder, and currently a senior engineer at NNPC, Abuja. There is nothing like home!

Nice I am happy you went back home. I agree, nothing is better than Nigeria, when you live too long abroad it becomes too difficult for you to come back home.

Yeah it makes sense that he shoudl move to Pure Math if he was more proficient in it than Engineering. I think Engineering and math are significantly different. Actually I know a lot of people that were in your set- would not tell you them though since its also a bit revealing. Yeah i know he works for Goldman Sachs.

Still have a vivid memory of the Sosoliso airline crash that killed 60 students of our own. Most of them close friends of my. Graduated Magma cumlaude from (U.S version first class honors with more prominence, in that you have to defend most of your senior works, and all faculty member/professors in your department must sign before such award is bestowed ) from CU Boulder, and currently a senior engineer at NNPC, Abuja. There is nothing like home!

Yeah someone I know lost all her family in that crash. I felt really bad for her, I think she had two brothers in LJC.

nice at the Magna CumLaude- but bros Summa cumlaude and Phi beta kappa ko? You should have brought that one back home and showed oyibo people pepper. But thats still an impressive GPA, and nice that you defended your thesis.

Abeg sidetrack so how hard it it to get a job at NNPC, Abuja? It is as nepotic as most people claim??
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by chamber2(m): 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2011
Somebody mention Delsu as a comparison to Unilag. I must tell you that Delsu is a dumping ground for people that cannot even think of getting admission into the top Universities in Nigeria so there is no need to even mention that school as over 80% of the people that go ther are[b] either average or below average
[/b]

This is the most senseless comment in NL.People make university choices base on so many factors not on JAMB score alone.I v people who had very low scores in JAMB yet they went to IFE,UI,UNILAG and there r others who had very high scores and yet attended state uni. In my case,i had a good score but my parents insisted i stud in my state uni just to be closer to home. Its highly competitive to secure admission in any Nigerian university,be it federal or state.
I had 7Bs,270,2.1,and yet attended a state university,do u consider this average in your analysis?Everybody must not attend federal uni or the so called ''top'' schools. With my state uni i secured admission in one of the top schools in the world, so fu uuu cc k ur Nigerian ''top'' school.

A Jesus/Mohd can be born anywhere.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by tmed1(m): 4:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
chamber2:

[/b]

This is the most senseless comment in NL.People make university choices base on so many factors not on JAMB score alone.I v people who had very low scores in JAMB yet they went to IFE,UI,UNILAG and there r others who had very high scores and yet attended state uni. In my case,i had a good score but my parents insisted i stud in my state uni just to be closer to home. Its highly competitive to secure admission in any Nigerian university,be it federal or state.
I had 7Bs,270,2.1,and yet attended a state university,do u consider this average in your analysis?Everybody must not attend federal uni or the so called ''top'' schools. With my state uni i secured admission in one of the top schools in the world, so fu uuu cc k ur Nigerian ''top'' school.

A Jesus/Mohd can be born anywhere.

There is underlying opinion in your statement that makes it obvious that you support the fact that the reputable mentioned federal universities are better than the state ones.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Steve74(m): 12:17pm On Jun 09, 2013
sammy_avu: well,congratulations to the unilag graduate,but na wa o,in my school DELSU,the highest u ca c is 2or3 first class product that is the reason am proud of Delsu. Great desuite

You must be sick to ever contemplate comparing Unilag with Delsu. That's self-conceited enough; that indeed is an insult!! Unilag is the foremost University in Nigeria in terms of competitiveness, standard of entry; infrastructure; faculty and standard of learning and research. Ask the NUC, if you care. Or you could even ask the sundry rating agencies from NUC to 4iuc to Webometric to Africa.com, etc. A school that produces graduates with so so few first class graduates is proof positive that such is far from a top class institution, one that produces mass under-achievers! That's why the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, etc produce quantum first class graduates. As we speak there is no university in Nigeria whose foundation programme, alone, enjoys such great recognition from UK institution so much so that it furnishes you with direct entry qualification to UK institutions. I laugh when idiots, or those who have made denial their haven, belch stench and impugn a high flying university like UNILAG in terms of standards. Yet each time rating agencies, including the NUC, rates schools, UNILAG is often placed ahead others; OR HARDLY EVER OUTSIDE THE FIRST THREE BRACKET, and to the chagrin of the worst expectations of haters. Stop being a nitwit!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do I Improve My Maths? / Teacher Flogs 12-year-old Pupil To Death / Branches Of Jamb Office To Get Your Change Of Institution/course Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.