Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,959 members, 7,927,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 12:51 AM

87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (20624 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 29, 2010
1 of the main reason why 1st and 2:1 is higher in western world, is simply down to home work/ Lab practical which makes up 30% of the total mark, but 1st isn't inflated as people think it is, you need to work your backside off to get it.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 10:54am On Jan 29, 2010
biina:

There is really no such thing as 'grade inflation', else there would be a standard grading.

There is grade inflation most especially at top schools in the US. They usually give the excuse that they have super-smart students but still a school where 30-45% of the graduating class leave with equivalents of second class upper and higher is disturbing. UK too has a bit of grade inflation, but the one in America is way of the charts.

biina:

I think the difficulty in getting a first class in faulties like law, humanities, Arts etc migfht be dues to
- the subjective nature of evaluation, as unlike in enginerring and science where the solution is often exact
- a bias in the quality of intake, as the more brilliant students are often guided into science classes at the secondary school level
- historical references i.e. there has never been a first class in this department

I agree with this aspect and its very disturbing.

Magna cumlaude is considered equivalent to a first class at top schools and this is usually given to like 15%-20%. Summa Cumlaude is given to 2-5% of the graduating class but its like a super first class technically.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 10:55am On Jan 29, 2010
H2O2:

Lol are you serious?  I beg to disagree.  But I will save the argument for some other time.
Do not put off till tomorrow what you can do today
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 11:00am On Jan 29, 2010
micktosin:

1 of the main reason why 1st and 2:1 is higher in western world, is simply down to home work/ Lab practical which makes up 30% of the total mark, but 1st isn't inflated as people think it is, you need to work your backside off to get it.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

Those british rankings are rubbish grin
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 11:04am On Jan 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

There is grade inflation most especially at top schools in the US. They usually give the excuse that they have super-smart students but still a school where 30-45% of the graduating class leave with equivalents of second class upper and higher is disturbing. UK too has a bit of grade inflation, but the one in America is way of the charts.
So the question is the class of your degree (which is in turn a measure of your grades) should reflect what
- your ability relative to your peers (i.e. on a national scale)?
- your ability relative to your classmates in the school?
- or your ability relative to a standard (set by the school)?

None of these can be said to be inherently superior to the others, but the tuning of a system to accurately measure one, makes it incapable of measuring the others. Most school try to achieve a composite metric.

To talk of grade inflation, implicitly assumes that there is a standard grade allocation scheme (but there is none). Until we have the latter, you cannot claim existence of the former.

While any schools might have a bias in students graduating with a particular class of degree, it is up to employers to interpret those degrees in context e.g. are those students with equivalent of 2.1 honors from top schools more deserving than those of lesser schools?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 11:12am On Jan 29, 2010
biina:

So the question is the class of your degree (which is in turn a measure of your grades) should reflect what
- your ability relative to your peers (i.e. on a national scale)?
- or your ability relative to a standard (set by the school)?

None of these can be said to be inherently superior to the others, but the tuning of a system to accurately measure one, makes it incapable of measuring the others. Most school try to achieve a composite metric.

To talk of grade inflation, implicitly assumes that there is a standard grade allocation scheme (but there is none). Until we have the latter, you cannot claim existence of the former.

While any schools might have a bias in students graduating with a particular class of degree, it is up to employers to interpret those degrees in context e.g. are those students with equivalent of 2.1 honors from top schools more deserving than those of lesser schools?

This should be the grading scale for any school. Class of a degree should be based on a preset curve. First class for the top 10%, second class division for top 70% and 20% would be third class. I think this should be uniform across board. Then the reputation of a school would further the weight and it would be left to the intuition of an employer to decide which grade from which school is better.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 11:36am On Jan 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

This should be the grading scale for any school. Class of a degree should be based on a preset curve. First class for the top 10%, second class division for top 70% and 20% would be third class. I think this should be uniform across board. Then the reputation of a school would further the weight and it would be left to the intuition of an employer to decide which grade from which school is better.
While I see your point, (un)fortunately, quite a number of lecturers/professor administrators etc would disagree with you. The core flaw is that in that model (and the more general curve-based/relative/percentile grading), the quality of student that get a degree is implicitly dependent on the distribution of the quality of students that get admitted. Thus a student that was a top student in one year could turn out to be no better than a student that was 10-15% in another year i.e. your ability to get a first class becomes strongly dependent on the quality students in your class, and since annual quality of admission varies, your class of degree is no longer precise. Since graduation year is recessed when evaluating qualifications, you don't the true quality of a degree to be contingent on it

The percentile-grading system is more suited at graduate level in top schools where there is a broader sample space, admission criteria favors merit, and, the reputation of the school helps to reduce variation in admission quality.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 29, 2010
@ SELFAGO

QS RANKING, TIMES RANKING, GUARDIAN RANKING, can't all be lying. What rankings have you got man, is it ajegunle times or mushin times. Oh i get it Nigerian University is the best in the world.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 12:20pm On Jan 29, 2010
micktosin:

@ SELFAGO

QS RANKING, TIMES RANKING, GUARDIAN RANKING, can't all be lying. What rankings have you got man, is it ajegunle times or mushin times. Oh i get it Nigerian University is the best in the world.

Did u do ur undergrad at Imperial? Just curious because I saw Meng and I thot Meng was a graduate degree, but i dont knw much abt the UK.

However, I have a classmate from high school in Nigeria who went to imperial college london. He isnt the brightest bulb in the bunch and I am definitely sure he would not have made first class in Nigeria. He is just lucky he could afford the school.

No I dont think Nigerian Universities are good, I just think some of their products are really good. But you can find that anywhere in the world- talent is not the exclusive property of any school.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by blackcypha(m): 1:15pm On Jan 29, 2010
ME THINKS DATS WAY OFF THE CHARTS!
I FINISHED 4RM YABATECH ND I CAN CONFIDENTLY TELL U DAT I HAVE A FRIEND WHO managed to make AN UPPER IN CIVIL ENGINEERING
IN YABATECH but was able to make a FIRST CLASS IN DSAME COURSE IN Unilag
so please let us be honest to ourselves,some ploytekniks like yabatech r more difficult to gradute 4rm like unis as
Unilag,
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 1:48pm On Jan 29, 2010
3 of my classmate in lasu gain admision into unilag at d end of our 100l and dey confess dat dey find it easy in unilag . i so much respect yaba tech a/c and engineering dept . a 2/1 in yaba tech / lasu is a 1/1 in unilag,
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by manie(m): 2:56pm On Jan 29, 2010
is there a spiritual angle to this,l learnt 8 of thr first class graduant are members of mountain of fire while at unilag. The General overseer DR.D.K. Olukoya equally made a first class in micro biology from Unilag in 1981
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Jarus(m): 3:28pm On Jan 29, 2010
manie:

is there a spiritual angle to this,l learnt 8 of thr first class graduant are members of mountain of fire while at unilag. The General overseer DR.D.K. Olukoya equally made a first class in micro biology from Unilag in 1981
84 students made First in OAU 2005/2006 section. 2 of them were my room mates, 10 from my clique, 2 same set, same secondary school with me, 5 same tutorial class with me in year one.

These are just few of the interesting relationships I know.

Another one, as a final year student, I mentally and academically tutored some fresh Economics students. Three years later, 5 of them graduated with First Class. I can as well go around and say that 'I made a First Class, and mentored 5 other First Class Students, in a single set'. But the truth is they all had the potential before.

I don't think there is any spiritual angle to anything.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Chapii: 3:54pm On Jan 29, 2010
shocked dem don try. i hope their expertise will help us rid the country of cheap chinese products and vaswani brothers undecided we can't wait! But that is impossible in FUTO
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 7:51pm On Jan 29, 2010
manie:

Birds of a feather often flock together.

Jarus:

84 students made First in OAU 2005/2006 section. 2 of them were my room mates, 10 from my clique, 2 same set, same secondary school with me, 5 same tutorial class with me in year one.

These are just few of the interesting relationships I know.

Another one, as a final year student, I mentally and academically tutored some fresh Economics students. Three years later, 5 of them graduated with First Class. I can as well go around and say that 'I made a First Class, and mentored 5 other First Class Students, in a single set'. But the truth is they all had the potential before.

I don't think there is any spiritual angle to anything.
Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by manny4life(m): 2:56am On Jan 30, 2010
Please can someone explain to me what first class is? What is the Grading GPA scale? I know our is out of 4.0, and highest grade point or distinction (Magna cum laude) is between 3.85 and 4.0 although it varies in schools but this was for my own school. If 85 students graduated Magna cum laude, that's a big hmmm because that's like top 3 to 5% of your class.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 3:15am On Jan 30, 2010
First class is CGPA: >4.5

Magna Cumlaude is equal to a first class
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 5:00am On Jan 30, 2010
SEFAGO:

First class is CGPA: >4.5

Magna Cumlaude is equal to a first class

Not necessarily. A department that awards 1st class honors to about 1% of the class would make it more similar to summa cumlaude than magna cumlaude e.g. in the Unilag case there were 87 first class students students out of 6197 graduates, which is about 1.4%. In other schools, like OAU, we might be looking at less than 1% of the graduating class.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by tjadeba(m): 10:36am On Jan 30, 2010
from most comments on this thread, i could deduce that people have the impression that it is much easier to have good grades overseas than in Nigeria because they just award many first class each year to their students.My brothers and sisters,ask students overseas how much effort they put into studying especially in UK b4 those good grades are achieved. I can authoritatively inform you that in my school here,you have to work your butts off before you can score the good marks. Ask any University of Portsmouth student about the quality of education delivered and the grading system and they will tell you how hard it is and my friends in other UK varsities have said same of their own schools too,so i really do not know where people got the idea that a dull student in Nigeria will easily make a good grade here.Does anyone wonder why these school are highly ranked? is it that they only impart some stuffs into your head and at the end of your course,they dont test you based on what you have studied and they just dash you 1st class/2nd class?
My people,what they call course work and exams here is not easy o.You have to research well your topic and use a wide variety of text books,internet articles,newspapers and reference them appropriately,if not you are accused of plagiarism and they have different software for testing if you have used another person's work without referencing such. I know most will say that the facilities are there to help the students and the administrative and academic structure well organised to aid success, but still it aint easy,you need to use you brains well to succeed.Schools in Nigeria too can take the initiative of ensuring they have a good atmosphere conducive for knowledge, they really do not need much Government intervention for this.I beleive same is the reason why UNILAG have produced 87 first class students.they have good academic and administrative structures on ground.
To the issue of other nigerian schls not producing as many first class as UNILAG,i beleive it has to do with the mindset of the system, one knows what will happen at the end when a lecturer has declared at the beginning of a semester that A is for God,B is for him/her,C is for the very brilliant and D is for the good students.E is for all others.No sane academician would deny a worthy student what is due to him.thats the height of insanity not anywhere near learning.The reasons are just so many,
So i give kudos to UNILAG for this because i am aware of the integrity of the school,so there is no doubt that the students deserve it. One could see the contributions of one or two of their students (2good n co) who didnt even make 1st class, on this thread and the contributions of one or two other people from Ilorin and OAU (no disrespect to these two ivory towers) and see the distinction.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by davmor(m): 11:32am On Jan 30, 2010
guy i agree wth ya, first class cannot make ur account blue, it depends on ur IQ ability, but i dought that! any way, if is it real, i think lasu is doing good.
gut money makes all things go around not first class. grin shocked grin
but if those were to grag from unizik, i dont think they will see second class lower.
they are too many to be awarded first class. grin grin grin
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by skyone(m): 10:16pm On Jan 30, 2010
@micktosin

L . S .E= LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by sko(m): 11:04pm On Jan 31, 2010
i keep doubting the number of first class graduate that UNILAG claim. shocked
its only a public relations move, the school has to sell
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by samir101ng(m): 12:16am On Feb 01, 2010
I am sorry to say this but a 1st class in Nigeria is not worth the paper its written upon. Everybody knows that its your background and family connections that get you places. However, there are a few people blessed enough to forge ahead in life without this handicapp. Therefore, whether you have a 1st class from Unilag, ABU, UNN, UI or anywhere, if you dont have the brains to back it up or know the right people to open the doors for you, you are out of luck. Let me give you a typical scenario, you are a brilliant , hardworking person from a humble family. You bust your ass off reading through school while a lazy, rich man's son bribes his way through the school (the lecturers are already hungry with ASUU strike). At the end of the day, you both graduate with a 1st class. Who deserves it more Again, you graduate and start looking for jobs, holding your credentials and posting several CV's on the internet while rich man pikin already has a job waiting for him. I knew a guy who studied Hausa Language at ABU Zaria and graduated with a 3rd class degree. Trust connections now, he;s now working with BBC Hausa in London. I heard he just started doing his M.sc there. His mates who had 1st class and 2:1 are still marching on the road looking for how to survive. The Nigerian University system has decayed in such a way that i really dont trust people who have 1st class or even some people with 2:1. I take it with a big pinch of salt. Its when the chips are down and you have to defend your degree, thats when you know whether a person is 1st class material or not. God Help Us.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by SEFAGO(m): 12:43am On Feb 01, 2010
^ These first class holders are the majority of people who actually FIND JOBS. All of you are just jealous grin, Do you think ChevronTexaco and all these big multinationals really depend on connections? Moreover, if these first class are not appreciated in Nigeria they pack their bags and go abroad where their talents are appreciated.

How many first class holders do u knw are jobless? No be 2-2 and 2-1 who have trouble the most.

All of you and your bad belle cheesy
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Jarus(m): 10:19am On Feb 01, 2010
samir101ng:

I am sorry to say this but a 1st class in Nigeria is not worth the paper its written upon. Everybody knows that its your background and family connections that get you places. However, there are a few people blessed enough to forge ahead in life without this handicapp. Therefore, whether you have a 1st class from Unilag, ABU, UNN, UI or anywhere, if you dont have the brains to back it up or know the right people to open the doors for you, you are out of luck. Let me give you a typical scenario, you are a brilliant , hardworking person from a humble family. You bust your backside off reading through school while a lazy, rich man's son bribes his way through the school (the lecturers are already hungry with ASUU strike). At the end of the day, you both graduate with a 1st class. Who deserves it more Again, you graduate and start looking for jobs, holding your credentials and posting several CV's on the internet while rich man pikin already has a job waiting for him. I knew a guy who studied Hausa Language at ABU Zaria and graduated with a 3rd class degree. Trust connections now, he;s now working with BBC Hausa in London. I heard he just started doing his M.sc there. His mates who had 1st class and 2:1 are still marching on the road looking for how to survive. The Nigerian University system has decayed in such a way that i really dont trust people who have 1st class or even some people with 2:1. I take it with a big pinch of salt. Its when the chips are down and you have to defend your degree, thats when you know whether a person is 1st class material or not. God Help Us.

While you are free to say anything you like, I think your opening statement is contemptuous, even as the whole post is defeatist. Granted that our educational system has been bastardized, I think the few that struggle through the system to get the best of it deserve some respect.

I make bold to say that you can bribe your way to getting any grade, but not First Class. Having First class requires you to have A in more than 70% of your courses, from year 1 to year 4/5. Are you saying you can bribe all your lecturers, in every course, from year 1 to 4? I'm sure Nigerian system is not bad to the extent that 70% of the lecturers take bribe. Even with bribe, only few lecturers will give you A. People bribe not to fail, maybe to have a C, rather than failing and repeating a class or overstaying in school.

As regards First Class struggling outside, that is arrant balderdash. A First Class graduate that is worth his certificate will not struggle(baring any spiritual angle, like trial from God) and I'm sure more than 90% of them are worth their certificates.

I know tens of First Class graduates and have them as friends, and I'm not aware of anyone of them that couldn't find job. One of them has contributed to this thread and he is a big boy in one of the leading oil MNCs in US.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by biina: 10:57am On Feb 01, 2010
To have a first class i.e.4.50/5.00 u need
- an A for every B of same total units
- 3x A for every C of same total units
- 5x A for every D of same total units
- 7x A for every E of same total units
- and if u get an F, may God help you grin
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by glt: 1:53pm On Feb 01, 2010
imagine i don't think this can be true they just have to work on themselve cos they are too many. all the same congratulations to all the students
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Omolulu(m): 2:08pm On Feb 01, 2010
Jarus:

While you are free to say anything you like, I think your opening statement is contemptuous, even as the whole post is defeatist. Granted that our educational system has been bastardized, I think the few that struggle through the system to get the best of it deserve some respect.

I make bold to say that you can bribe your way to getting any grade, but not First Class. Having First class requires you to have A in more than 70% of your courses, from year 1 to year 4/5. Are you saying you can bribe all your lecturers, in every course, from year 1 to 4? I'm sure Nigerian system is not bad to the extent that 70% of the lecturers take bribe. Even with bribe, only few lecturers will give you A. People bribe not to fail, maybe to have a C, rather than failing and repeating a class or overstaying in school.

As regards First Class struggling outside, that is arrant balderdash. A First Class graduate that is worth his certificate will not struggle(baring any spiritual angle, like trial from God) and I'm sure more than 90% of them are worth their certificates.

I know tens of First Class graduates and have them as friends, and I'm not aware of anyone of them that couldn't find job. One of them has contributed to this thread and he is a big boy in one of the leading oil MNCs in US.

Many sef dey find work, i know scores of first class students that are not only worth the degree but are working in eniviable companies and position, maybe na im own paddies wy no worth am or vribe their way to first class
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Theblessed(f): 3:30am On Feb 02, 2010
Jarus:

[b]Hey guy, I refer to samir101ng comments on Yesterday at 12:16:31 AM

The guy is saying the truth ok!  I support him 110% and he can say it all over again.  It's disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have never in my life seen a University produce this number of 'First Class' graduates. To start with, Nigerian Universities haven't got the resources (finance, libraries, current and quality books, state of Art technology and enough/available computers in each School/Depts of these Universities to support this level of academic intelligence/wizardry among these graduates they claimed to have merited First Class.  Also, with their ASUU Trade mark, when did they get the time to teach these First Class  Hmmmm!!!  THERE'S A LOT TO QUERY and A LOT TO ANSWER TO, here! Shame!

In fact, to the blind and deaf person in the street, this act is overtly suspicious!  As we all know, no University in the World had ever done so but I ask, where else would this happen if not in Trashy Nigerian Educational system. 

It can only happen in Nigeria, were else

You can't sit down there telling me, there are Universities that had ever done so.  And if you do, I challenge you to point at them, let's check out their backgrounds? BRING THEM ON!!! Let's check them out! If any, it would only be  3rd World Universities - where else! 

Goes to show what POVERTY AND LACK OF RESOURCES IN OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM can cause - manipulation of Degree results and it's only Shady people that would support this evil.  Shame!

So stop attacking the brother and own up to the truth that is right under your nose that way, we can change our Country for the best!
[/b]
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Theblessed(f): 4:13am On Feb 02, 2010
eminemkayc:

MAKING A FIRST CLASS IN UNILAG DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME. . . AT LEAST IV WORKED WITH SOME OF THEIR ENGINEERS AND THEY ARE LIKE BLAAA. . .I THINK UNILAG IS JUST A FUN SPOT WERE WE PICK UP CHICKS AFTER WORK AND MAKE LOVE TO THEM THATS ALL. . . HOW MANY OF THEIR GRADUATES ARE MAKING IMPACTS IN TODAY'S SOCIETY? APART FORM THE ENTERTAINMENT SCENE, I HARDLY SEE THEM IN OTHER FIELDS. BUT THEN, THE SCHOOLS I RESPECT THEIR FIRST CLASS GRADUATES ARE. . .
1) NSUKKA (UNN)

2) IFE (OAU)

3) IBADAN (UI)

4) ABU
MY OPINION THOUGH  grin grin grin

[b]Guy, I agree with you to a degree!  Reason being, the backgrounds and history of these Universities - a British established Educational system you have to respect as it operates on the basis of, "If you work it, you earn it". Hard work, that's the British way!!! You can not get it if you don't work it and if you do, someone reports you  sorry, your a-rse will be up! You can not get it through the back door, period! Tell me, how could you get it cheap? By the time you finish writing one bloody Essay, and attend lectures/sign the attendance register each time you attend lectures (Argh!! 90% attendance o o remember plus your continuous assessment and end of year examinations before you could pass your course, chei!), you'd have known how difficult it is to SPELL Education grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;

Yes to a degree, the above Universities I think still maintains their original culture but I doubt, there are still pockets of corruption in all their Depts/Schools. So, they can not escape the damages caused to our Educational System as a result of corruption and lack of leadership!

As of the so called Unilag and their kind, I sorry for that College because, it's an American product, isn't it??  Like father like son!  Everyone knows, American Educational system is so Shady! One can buy their degrees or pay someone to attend classes or examination for them, if they can't do it themselves. That's why, to whom it may concern, there's always a query regarding their Qualifications and Certificates. Too dodgy!!!!!
[/b]
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by greall12(m): 5:47am On Feb 02, 2010
I am also a graduate,All these first class it"s look some how to me,Is not easily to got first class in a school strict with exam, with a senior lecture"s,If they go school like U.I i bet those first class student wil fall into 2nd class upper or Lower,this is unsound.i don"t belive UNILAG and reading like U.I UNI ILORIN & co
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 6:26am On Feb 02, 2010
d 1st class stu of unilag is too much considering d bad education system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do I Improve My Maths? / Teacher Flogs 12-year-old Pupil To Death / Branches Of Jamb Office To Get Your Change Of Institution/course Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.