Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,115 members, 7,916,259 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? (12554 Views)

Do People Still Cross From. Libya. To. Spain / How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by anabell(f): 5:22pm On Apr 10, 2007
@democreat or whatever ur name is called, y dont u go tell d queen how u feel about her instead of flexin ur muscles here on d land or better still go to bbc and tell them to pass d message across 4 u i bet u just want to be notices.carword
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by anabell(f): 5:26pm On Apr 10, 2007
and d f word, tink u better slow down on dat, wannabe
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by gbeborun(m): 12:34pm On Apr 11, 2007
@Democrat, can u pls stop using those swear words.
If really u believe in what u call urself (democrat) it only depicts the type of democracy u practice in ur country.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Democrat(m): 11:23am On Apr 12, 2007
Ok Guys

London is a sad overcrowded,overrated city with not much to offer. Is that better?
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Hugoboi(m): 11:28am On Apr 12, 2007
Yeah right!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by dblock(m): 11:31am On Apr 12, 2007
I have been to every corner of London, and the city is more like a heritage site than a city with Hype. London is just a typical british city, with too much brick. but with that said, London isn't half bad.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by VOR(m): 4:37pm On Apr 12, 2007
dblock:

I have been to every corner of London, and the city is more like a heritage site than a city with Hype. London is just a typical british city, with too much brick. but with that said, London isn't half bad.

Yeah right, every corner indeed, people have lived here all their lives and still
don't know the city that well.
You who just passed through claim to know all there is to know about London.

At the end of the day, London is different things to different people. All depends
on your status and why it is you live or visit London.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by dblock(m): 1:22am On Apr 13, 2007
It's a figure of speech wink.
I mean, I've being to London's top attractions, like Hyde Park, London Bridge, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, London Eye, Greenwhich etc. And the maintenance isn't all that. The subway which is for all people 'Those who live there and those who visit 'Rich and poor' is pathetic for a developed country. The trains need replacement. Even the majority of shopping centres and department stores have poor architecture. London should be renamed Brickdon. A city is not judged by the North part of it, or the south part of it. A city is judged by every corner and every bit.

Economic Status, is not perception. It's like saying rich people can't see the flaws in Ghettos, and poor people can't see good things. Every city has it's good and bad, but generally London isn't Hype. I can wite a detailed thesis as to why that is. This is not personal.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by gbeborun(m): 9:05am On Apr 13, 2007
@dblock,
nigerians and mouth! God save u guys! Anyways the city aint all that, and you guys can still afford to stand the tons of embarrassment of visa refusal and still return to literally 'beg' for visas. Now it aint all that and you still keep visiting abi?
flipping hypocrites!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by VOR(m): 11:47am On Apr 13, 2007
dblock:

It's a figure of speech wink.
I mean, I've being to London's top attractions, like Hyde Park, London Bridge, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, London Eye, Greenwhich etc. And the maintenance isn't all that. The subway which is for all people those who live there and those who visit 'Rich and poor' is pathetic for a developed country. The trains need replacement. Even the majority of shopping centres and department stores have poor architecture. London should be renamed Brickdon. A city is not judged by the North part of it, or the south part of it. A city is judged by every corner and every bit.

Economic Status, is not perception. It's like saying rich people can't see the flaws in Ghettos, and poor people can't see good things. Every city has it's good and bad, but generally London isn't Hype. I can wite a detailed thesis as to why that is. This is not personal.

Exactly my point, the places you have mentioned form only a small part of London,
probably encompassing a radius of no more than 3-4 miles excluding Greenwich.

What is wrong with Hyde Park? It is a great place to relax especially in Summer.
And unlike Lagos or even Abuja practically every district in London has parks. You
see Dblock enjoying a city isn't just about having tall buildings.

You mention London Bridge, I don't think anyone who lives in London and
knows the city will tell you to visit London Bridge as a must. I can only assume you
are getting mixed up with Tower Bridge. Which is an imposing piece of
architecture, not to talk of the history behind it.

The London eye is the most visited tourist attraction in London and this is
within 6 years. Have you ever been on it yourself. In my work I often come
into contact with tourists and the number one place they want to go is the eye.

Cant understand what you mean by lack of maintenance of these sites. If you mean
they should be modernised then this will take away a lot of their attraction in the
first place, that is their age and history.

You complain about the MAJORITY of shopping centres. I wonder how many you
have actually been to to consider you have been to the majority. I hope you didn't
just go to Elephant and Castle shopping centre and consider this to be reflective of
all shopping centres in London. Have you ever heard of Bluewater or even Centrale
in Croydon?

I would agree with you to some extent about the underground. Yes service can be poor
it is expensive compared to other European systems and on some lines it is well antiquated.
It is still however a reasonably reliable means of getting around and certain parts of it are as modern
as you will see in any place in the world. Understand that it is the oldest metro in the world and I think
the most extensive. Over the years improvemens will take place.

London aint perfect (which city is?) but it has a lot more going for it than against it.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by bluesky4(f): 12:04pm On Apr 13, 2007
LOL Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre!

@ Dblock

Has u not been to bluewater, the biggest shopping centre in Europe.
Oxford Street, Covent Garden and more.

And whats this about London Bridge, only business people go there, and thats to work!

By 'subway' do you mean overhead trains, or the underground trains I admit the overhead trains are bad and needs to be sorted. But the tube is great. Yes in summer it can get hot and overcrowded, but isnt thaty evrywhere.

Well if you dont like London, than thats fine by you.

I think most people dont like london because they dont live like tourist when they come. They probably visit theyre family who r living in areas such as Peckham and Brixton. They probably go to peckham market and think thats the shopping centre evry1 is boasting about.

If the likes of people like P Diddy and Gwen Stefani, can enjoy london, whats wrong with it for people from Nigeria. Are they living better than these celebrities!

Im not saying London is all that, coz living here i know it has its faults. I cant compare it to places like Dubai. But comparing it to lagos, thats a bit of an extreme.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by DisGuy: 1:30pm On Apr 13, 2007
dblock measure cities by their tall buildings  wink

great architecture = cheap tall buildings, according to our resident developer Mr Dblock
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by anabell(f): 2:20pm On Apr 13, 2007
@gbeborun well said my dear. the truth about this matter is dat people who hate london are d people who have no stay or visas, cos if u have ur stay and u attend a good uni then d place will be a very cool place to live.As 4 me i am havin a great time in d london
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by One: 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2007
I wonder on what basis someone will say London is a "glorified Lagos". Abi na for economy, security, health service transport system or what. I agree that London is filled with old buildings that may not look like those in Hollywood but this people are trying to preserve their cultural heritage in those buildings. Moreover, there are huge and modern building in central London anyway.
Some people have jumped down people's throat here by playing the patriotism card. So what?
This is a debate and not a test of how much you love naija.
Simple question: Is London a nice place to live?
My answer is a resounding YES.
Its safe and has got millions of opportunities (especially if you have legal right to stay).
Are you talking about racism?
Does tribalism not exist if in naija. Where in the world is free of discrimination. So why will London be different?
That one na argument of low self esteem people jare.
My brother, London is a wonderful place but make sure you arrange yourself well before coming.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by anabell(f): 6:32pm On Apr 13, 2007
@ one, u have said it all.thank u
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by adia(f): 5:03am On Apr 14, 2007
I think your family is jinxed and why do you expect people to keep sending money to lazy people like you back home? You shld be working and making a living for yourself!!! Stop asking people for money ok? I can send you names of over 50,000 people making it well here and have fully established themselves back. Let me spare you, because i know NEPA go soon take light in your beloved lagos. at least we don't compare in that regards.
fatliar please, ignore all these ignoramus people. if they think they can compare lagos with london- fine! and that's good for them.
Long live the Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, na who be ds? hey dude get real
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by dblock(m): 5:41am On Apr 14, 2007
Dis Guy:

dblock measure cities by their tall buildings  wink

great architecture = cheap tall buildings, according to our resident developer Mr Dblock

where did you get this from. I don't judge cities by tall buildings, I judge them by growth. I judge cities based on how they are keeping up with Urbanity. Take Abu Dhabi in the UAE for example, the city has few Highs' but it rates high on my scale, because it has a high growth rate and entertainment is at peak.

By 'subway' do you mean overhead trains, or the underground trains I admit the overhead trains are bad and needs to be sorted. But the tube is great. Yes in summer it can get hot and overcrowded, but isn't that everywhere.

Underground of course, what else is a subway supposed to be.

What is wrong with Hyde Park?
Trafalgar square is what really got to me, the place is hardly a tourist attraction, yet it is supposed to be historic

gbeborun:

@dblock,
nigerians and mouth! God save u guys! Anyways the city aint all that, and you guys can still afford to stand the tons of embarrassment of visa refusal and still return to literally 'beg' for visas. Now it aint all that and you still keep visiting abi?
flipping hypocrites!

Then what are you, Anglo Saxon? grin grin grin grin
I would never beg for a visa to go to that city, and I have only been there once and I don't plan on going there again tongue
Except for maybe to watch Arsenal or Chelsea play.

LOL Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre!

Europe has got nothing on Asia, S.America, Australia, even S.Africa has better shopping centres.

Entertainment facilities, Tall buildings etc aren't factors of great cities, but the construction of these things are a sign of a developing and growing city. No offense, but I don't see why refugees cross the Sahara and then the Mediterranean to go to this city, they could at least go to Zurich, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Brussels
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by spoilt(f): 7:53am On Apr 14, 2007
elephant and castle shopping center is virtually owned by nigerians! hehehehe! london truly is like home. no difference. i love london!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by dblock(m): 8:44am On Apr 14, 2007
That must explain why a lot of people on this thread have such a huge tenacity towards the city.
A lot of people on this thread will defend London before they defend Naija, and their defence is based on little intelligence.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by DisGuy: 6:09pm On Apr 14, 2007
spoilt:

elephant and castle shopping center is virtually owned by nigerians! hehehehe! london truly is like home. no difference. i love london!!!!!!!!

Yea, thats also one of the reason I love london!! home away from home

dblock:

That must explain why a lot of people on this thread have such a huge tenacity towards the city.
A lot of people on this thread will defend London before they defend Naija, and their defence is based on little intelligence.
and I have only been there once and I don't plan on going there again

little intelligence? You dont live there ! what do you know about the place?

Entertainment facilities, Tall buildings etc aren't factors of great cities, but the construction of these things are a sign of a developing and growing city. No offense, but I don't see why refugees cross the Sahara and then the Mediterranean to go to this city, they could at least go to Zurich, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Brussels
The construction of the buildings are signs of development? bloody hell you are smart!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by English1(f): 7:51am On Apr 16, 2007
It's ok to love London AND Lagos grin
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by gbeborun(m): 12:32am On Apr 22, 2007
mubowa, fatliar,
have u all voted!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by gbeborun(m): 9:05am On Apr 23, 2007
na wa o, for those of you that can die for the foolishness of Nigeria, isn't it ironic that our beloved country cant even conduct an election? The irregularities was massive. thenwe go open our mouth the compare eko and london. see our face! cheesy
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by MP007(m): 9:01am On Aug 21, 2007
some people are just stupid
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Jackal(m): 11:35am On Aug 21, 2007
@ Siena,

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people who disrespect LONDON don't know better.
They come to the city and judge it by their immediate environment.
Its like going to Nigeria to stay in Mushin/Ajegunle and say Nigeria is this n that.
There are posh places in London and u would never know until u stay or visit these places.
USA is supposed to be the shiznit but Compton in California and Ikeja is the same thing to me.
We all saw New Orleans on TV during Hurricane Katrina crisis and who woulda thunk that was the same United States of America.
Every country has its own ghetto and rough places so saying UK is an advanced Lagos is bollocks.

I have seen on this thread where people are sayin London should be named Brickdon.
Duuuuuuh, You cannot still compare it to Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria.
London looks a bit old if u compare it to other cities in Europe because the city DIDN'T suffer catastrophic damages during the 2nd WORLD WAR.
Places like Paris, Amsterdam, Munich, Berlin, Milan, Rome etc were bombed intensely so they had to RE-BUILD.
Re-building means new way of life . . . . .Modern buildings, good road networks and blah blah blah.
London is still what it is since the 18th century.
The house i stay in was built around 1900 so these are the points some ignorants don't even know.
London is the place . . . . . I have been everywhere and UK tops it by a mile . . . . .Didnt even like the place known as God's own Country.
Its a facade . . . . . . People suffer more there than the UK.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by KnowAll(m): 12:30pm On Sep 02, 2007
nija should sort out the light problem, even if no money, at least u will be able to sleep in the night with fan. 4 problems of nigeria are light, security, jobs, & good roads, if these 4 things can be sorted people we go home en-mass. OBJ failed nigeria, can u imagine 8 years of civilian rule he cannot even tackle 1 of these problem. If OBJ has bee succesful in at least tackling one of these problems, he would at least gotten one over four 1/4, but these 4 problems are still pressing so na zero over four 0/4. Our polticians are olodos(Dunces.). They have failed the nation.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by English1(f): 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2007
Why so much brick in London? I'd never really thought about it before but what else are we supposed to use for things like houses? Stone is too expensive for ordinary buildings and wooden construction was banned for centuries (may still be for all I know) after the Great Fire of London in 1666. London had large areas destroyed over several days: it is estimated that it destroyed the homes of 70,000 of the City's ca. 80,000 inhabitants. After that, all building had to be in stone or brick.

Of course, concrete, glass, steel etc is used in most new office buildings etc these days.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by luvlawyer(f): 5:28pm On Sep 07, 2007
chei nepa just sieze light! grin grin grin grin grin
kai i dey sweat, this fan nor dey work ooo grin grin grin
chei i don wound where i dey pursue molue grin grin grin
erhmm conductor just cause my mama grin grin grin
chei conductor no give me change grin grin grin
kai police want my papers grin grin grin
police no respect me becos e nor know my papa grin grin grin
erhmmm road traffick do stop me grin grin
them no gree give me visa becos i be naija grin grin
lagos governor don send police to arrest me becos i wear mini grin grin grin
you can add more!!!! wink
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by luvlawyer(f): 5:35pm On Sep 07, 2007
water board do cut water grin grin
chei dem don rigg election grin grin grin
kai that yahoo guy don 419 meooo grin grin grin
chei lecturer say make i sleep with am to get good result grin grin grin
market woman [/b]madame if you no buy abeg make u waka pass, oloshi!!! grin grin grin
[b]conductor to a girl wearing pants
ashawooooo all this girls wey dey wear trouser grin grin grin
if you are dark -blackkky grin grin grin
if you are light- paw paw oyiboooo grin grin
if you are slim - okpeke slim shaddygrin grin
if you are fat -fatty buldozer abeg commot for road grin grin
if you a woman- hey woman grin grin
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by gbeborun(m): 10:38am On Sep 09, 2007
It's all good, our beloved assembly men/women have started barely 4mths into their four year term, if £2.5million or $5million or #600 can be used to upgrade just two building, i wonder how much they'll need to renovate the assembly itself before they finally leave. It is well. God bless Nigeria.
In my opinion such a thing cannot happen in the UK and with the same publicity and the alleged perpetrators will be remain in office. They ought to have resigned.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by spoilt(f): 11:31pm On Apr 22, 2008
getting ready for another trip to london. grin
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by luvlawyer(f): 9:57am On Apr 23, 2008
SIENA: its so true though!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anyone Interested In Travelling To Rwanda / Kenya Visa Needed / One Dead, Nine Injured In Ondo Road Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.