Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,923 members, 7,922,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 11:08 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4503040 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 27, 2013
scipher:
Dude, you've been on this platform for a while now, and i'm not saying there's no crime in Nigeria.. the fact is it's low compared to SA (accurate stats or not)...The world knows that. Investors/tourists won't flood in like they're doing if it's so high in addition to our BH boys menace in the north... Before god and man, I witness robbery in PTA (again after 5 years) during my visit to SA (2011) can never forget that day.

How the hell is it low because there's more than 18,800+ murders per 100000 in Nigeria 12% average in contrast to SA's 15,650 per 100000 of the population which gives SA a 33% rating which is only higher due to our smaller population.

South Africans don't deny that we have a crime problem we are working at it and the results are there for everyone to see the overall crime rate has decreased on average by 8% year on year eventhough certain crimes have remained stubbornly high I must admit.

Thus said even with our high crime rate why are we still one of the top five worlds best tourist destinations withg over 10 million people visiting SA last year and over 12 million the previous year, making SA by far the premier destination on the continent especially amongst africans FACT. The same cannot be said about Nigeria.

Tribal and religious conflicts virtually never takes on a violent nature in SA yet in Nigeria it can mean the wipe out of entire families in remote villages why can u please explain this backward phenomenon of ur country.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 27, 2013
scipher:
FACT:
SA - AFRIKAANS = SOMALIA

Without oil where would nigeria be.

Nigeria=Ethiopia( without oil)

SA has more known mineral deposits than any other country on this continent only DRC can compete on that front, now compare that to Nigeria with only oil as its biggest foreign exchange earner.

SA is the worlds 7th largest car exporter and manufacturer can that be said about Nigeria are they even exporting a mere 10000 cars and components annually.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 11:18am On Feb 27, 2013
andrewza:

Has anyone seen Nigerian police vehicle? Oh! Damn one will laugh to death should one ever see any.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 11:30am On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

How the hell is it low because there's more than 18,800+ murders per 100000 in Nigeria 12% average in contrast to SA's 15,650 per 100000 of the population which gives SA a 33% rating which is only higher due to our smaller population.

South Africans don't deny that we have a crime problem we are working at it and the results are there for everyone to see the overall crime rate has decreased on average by 8% year on year eventhough certain crimes have remained stubbornly high I must admit.

Thus said even with our high crime rate why are we still one of the top five worlds best tourist destinations withg over 10 million people visiting SA last year and over 12 million the previous year, making SA by far the premier destination on the continent especially amongst africans FACT. The same cannot be said about Nigeria.

Tribal and religious conflicts virtually never takes on a violent nature in SA yet in Nigeria it can mean the wipe out of entire families in remote villages why can u please explain this backward phenomenon of ur country.

That is very true my fellow countryman. Percentages always mislead us, countries with larger population always scores less in stats even when numbers per capita is high. The same can be said about HIV stats. I think it would have been better if it were to be phrased in numbers instead of percentage per total population.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: keep deceiving yourself.
There is nothing SA has that Nigeria cannot get.
We don't need them as we are not under any direct threat from any part of Africa.
Besides,most military hardwares and stuff that countries like Egypt and Nigeria have are usually hidden,unlike SA that displays all to the world.

U only hide what u don't have and even if u do get hardware it take years to gain the necessary competence to operate efficiently. There's really not allot of hardware secrets in all militaries around the world, does the US hide the fact that they have F-35's and that they were grounded last week because of technical failures NO, or does Russia hide there development of a SU-30 fifth generation jet NO.

Either u have it or u don't.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 27, 2013
Msauza:

Has anyone seen Nigerian police vehicle? Oh! Damn one will laugh to death should one ever see any.

photonews.sunmismartcole.com/2011/02/02/war-on-crime-governor-babatunde-fashola-donates-100-patrol-vehicles50-motorcycles-to-police/

go there and see pics of cars belonging to the Nigerian police. You can see motorcycles too. It is so unfortunate i cant post pics here. Ive been trying to do so but just cannot. Maybe some else can help me. I will continue to give links..
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 12:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Just read how South Africa is proposing a new policy on refugees. I guess it will not be good news to those who pretend and fake their refugee status.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 12:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
Just read how South Africa is proposing a new policy on refugees. I guess it will not be good news to those who pretend and fake their refugee status.

http://refugeeresettlementwatch./2012/03/09/anc-too-many-foreigners-in-south-africa-new-policy-on-refugees-proposed/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 27, 2013
Nigerian use 4x4 pick up, toyota or ford ranger trucks, as primary police vehicles in nigeria. We also use 406 Peugeot sedans and innoson sedans. What is wrong with that? What is there 2 laugh about. You guys should be reasonable when making arguments.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 12:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

U only hide what u don't have and even if u do get hardware it take years to gain the necessary competence to operate efficiently. There's really not allot of hardware secrets in all militaries around the world, does the US hide the fact that they have F-35's and that they were grounded last week because of technical failures NO, or does Russia hide there development of a SU-30 fifth generation jet NO.

Either u have it or u don't.
Actually,countries are known to hide critical military hardwares and platforms from unnecessary exposure.
You mentioned russia and america.
We currently don't know the full strength of both nations.
Iran,pakistan,egypt,israel,N.korea,e.t.c. are nations that are very careful in exposing their military arsenal unnecessarily.
That is why no military website have been able to give a conclusive and accurate picture of the military strength of different nations.
Not every country is like SA.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2013
souldust: photonews.sunmismartcole.com/2011/02/02/war-on-crime-governor-babatunde-fashola-donates-100-patrol-vehicles50-motorcycles-to-police/

go there and see pics of cars belonging to the Nigerian police. You can see motorcycles too. It is so unfortunate i cant post pics here. Ive been trying to do so but just cannot. Maybe some else can help me. I will continue to give links..
what is wrong with the vehicles?
State governors are known to donate vehicles to the police in their various states to help the police do their work effectively.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 12:57pm On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: Actually,countries are known to hide critical military hardwares and platforms from unnecessary exposure.
Iran,pakistan,egypt,israel,N.korea,e.t.c. are nations that are very careful in exposing their military arsenal unnecessarily.
That is why no military website have been able to give a conclusive and accurate picture of the military strength of different nations.

Hello! We are not speaking of strength here, we are speaking about military hardware.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Henry120: Nigerian use 4x4 pick up, toyota or ford ranger trucks, as primary police vehicles in nigeria. We also use 406 Peugeot sedans and innoson sedans. What is wrong with that? What is there 2 laugh about. You guys should be reasonable when making arguments.

SA also uses toyota and Ford ranger SUV's many of there policing duties, but sedans are mostly use because of there speed and reaction time in responding to criminal threats. I guess the reason why Nigeria use mostly trucks and SUV's is because of terrain and road conditions. What I feel is making a few of ur police look poorly equipped is them riding in the back of open trucks, which is something that would create a national debate and outcry in South Africa.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 1:06pm On Feb 27, 2013
Msauza:

Hello! We are not speaking of strength here, we are speaking about military hardware.
what are you even saying?
Is it not how sophisticated your military hardware is, that will determine your military strength?
Can america be call a strong military nation without its nuclear warheads, stealth fighters,submarines,e.t.c.?
It is the military hardwares that differentiate a weak military from a strong one.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: what is wrong with the vehicles?
State governors are known to donate vehicles to the police in their various states to help the police do their work effectively.
i was only replying msauza who thought people in here are the same illitrates in the townships.

But pls if you can, i want you to help me post pics of the vehicles and motorcycles the LASG donates to the RRS. You can post pics of gears too. I have been trying to do so but to no avail.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 1:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

SA also uses toyota and Ford ranger SUV's many of there policing duties, but sedans are mostly use because of there speed and reaction time in responding to criminal threats. I guess the reason why Nigeria use mostly trucks and SUV's is because of terrain and road conditions. What I feel is making a few of ur police look poorly equipped is them riding in the back of open trucks, which is something that would create a national debate and outcry in South Africa.
it's not about road conditions.
Nigerian roads are okay and are currently been improved on.
We have lambourghinis,aston-martins and other sophisticated vehicles plying our roads,let alone Sedans.
We just feel it's a waste of money buying them sedans when toyota can do the job well.
Besides,the Nigerian police have APCs.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 1:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
souldust: i was only replying msauza who thought people in here are the same illitrates in the townships.

But pls if you can, i want you to help me post pics of the vehicles and motorcycles the LASG donates to the RRS. You can post pics of gears too. I have been trying to do so but to no avail.
I am currently browsing with my phone,so i can't upload pictures.
But i promise to do so later.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 1:21pm On Feb 27, 2013
Henry120: Nigerian use 4x4 pick up, toyota or ford ranger trucks, as primary police vehicles in nigeria. We also use 406 Peugeot sedans and innoson sedans. What is wrong with that? What is there 2 laugh about. You guys should be reasonable when making arguments.

It is just that some of your police vehicle look funny and their printing on the sides is just not professional, look like somebody had just used his hand writing with an oil paint. That old Peugeot is still among the police inventory and is widely used in Nigeria. By the way, why are the police allowed to drive in with complaints cars when they come to lodge in complaints in police stations?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2013
Msauza:

It is just that some of your police vehicle look funny and their printing on the sides is just not professional, look like somebody had just used his hand writing with an oil paint. That old Peugeot is still among the police inventory and is widely used in Nigeria. By the way, why are the police allowed to drive in with complaints cars when they come to lodge in complaints in police stations?
it is funny to you but not to us.
We are okay with the vehicles,thank you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: Actually,countries are known to hide critical military hardwares and platforms from unnecessary exposure.

Most of the weapons systems u see were taken on open days where the military holds public awareness campaigns to attract youth, or from analyst and SA arms manufactures who display for marketing purposes.

I think you've been reading to much conspiracy theories. Hardware is very hard to hide and most nations use it as an deterrent to future threats.

-Warships
-Tanks
-Aircrafts
-Submarines
-Missile launching Bases
-Missile systems
-SAM's

All of these are very hard to hide no matter how hard u try. Most military secrets are only capt in secret when they are sensitive or in development stages with regards to weapons systems, this is the norm not only in goverment supported military companies but also for privatly owned. EWC equipment is the things you can truly hide today.

In the african context there's really not allot to hide because most african nations don't have competitive indigenous weapons development industries, and most of there hardware are second hand old and obsolete weapons from big powers even Nigeria has its fair share of these hand me down systems.

Like I said u only hide which u don't have.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: what are you even saying?
Is it not how sophisticated your military hardware is, that will determine your military strength?
Can america be call a strong military nation without its nuclear warheads, stealth fighters,submarines,e.t.c.?
It is the military hardwares that differentiate a weak military from a strong one.

You answered yourself, now can you honestly say that because Nigeria don't display there hardware or don't have it nor the expertise to operate them currently can you claim that Nigeria has the best systems in africa.

Now on the lack of these hardware u wrote about can u state to us where u rate Nigeria in an African context.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: I am currently browsing with my phone,so i can't upload pictures.
But i promise to do so later.

One of the reasons why u would also struggle to upload pics is because of the 200kb limit this forum has try to shrink the pics if its to large.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 2:19pm On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

You answered yourself, now can you honestly say that because Nigeria don't display there hardware or don't have it nor the expertise to operate them currently can you claim that Nigeria has the best systems in africa.

Now on the lack of these hardware u wrote about can u state to us where u rate Nigeria in an African context.
I never said Nigeria is the best in Africa.
I would rate us fourth.
Egypt,Ethiopia,south-africa,Nigeria,though an investment of $1billion in the Navy and the airforce military hardwares(which is where we are relatively weak) should see us compete favourably with Ethiopia and southafrica.
All military platforms in Nigeria can be operated by Nigerians,as we make it part of the deal when buying military hardwares.
We don't buy hardwares without the training of Nigerians by the sellers.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 2:31pm On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

Most of the weapons systems u see were taken on open days where the military holds public awareness campaigns to attract youth, or from analyst and SA arms manufactures who display for marketing purposes.

I think you've been reading to much conspiracy theories. Hardware is very hard to hide and most nations use it as an deterrent to future threats.

-Warships
-Tanks
-Aircrafts
-Submarines
-Missile launching Bases
-Missile systems
-SAM's

All of these are very hard to hide no matter how hard u try. Most military secrets are only capt in secret when they are sensitive or in development stages with regards to weapons systems, this is the norm not only in goverment supported military companies but also for privatly owned. EWC equipment is the things you can truly hide today.

In the african context there's really not allot to hide because most african nations don't have competitive indigenous weapons development industries, and most of there hardware are second hand old and obsolete weapons from big powers even Nigeria has its fair share of these hand me down systems.

Like I said u only hide which u don't have.
yeah,you have a point.
The Nigerian defence industry is growing due to our partnership with defence partners like the
-DENEL-south-africa
-MAROM-DOLPHIN-israel
-china
-india.
We are mass producing APCs,gunboats,riffles,bullet-proof vests,military outfits,war-boats e.t.c.
Most of our military hardwares are being maintained or repaired in Nigeria.
We have started the manufacturing of drones.
The way things are going,we may be the first sub-saharan nation to have a home-made missile technology,which we almost got from N.korea if not for america that blocked the trade.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
souldust: i was only replying msauza who thought people in here are the same illitrates in the townships.

Post the link so that I can upload the photos at my free time. The first link you posted is a "no go". Post a better link, then I would upload.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 27, 2013
Msauza:

Quite funny, haha. Old peugeot?? What model. The model that is used by the police in nigeria is the 406. For sedan in all the country. In some states in the east INNOSON (nigerian manufactured), enugu state to be precise use innoson sedans. All of the country use toyota hilux and ford rangers. There is nothing wrong with any of these suv's as they are greatly employed in many countries around the world, with mexico and brazil been some of the most high profile users.

As for the painting, it is clear enough. They are okay. Abi na painting you wan chop?@msuaza
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by solomon111(m): 3:19pm On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

Without oil where would nigeria be.

Nigeria=Ethiopia( without oil)

SA has more known mineral deposits than any other country on this continent only DRC can compete on that front, now compare that to Nigeria with only oil as its biggest foreign exchange earner.

SA is the worlds 7th largest car exporter and manufacturer can that be said about Nigeria are they even exporting a mere 10000 cars and components annually.
southafrica does not have more natural resources than Nigeria.
Maybe congo,but not southafrica.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Capnd143(m): 3:20pm On Feb 27, 2013
snydergp:

the high murder rate is because of Boko haram manace in the north! It is years since i experienced robbery, and to be frank i havnt read of robbery incidents in any dailies or heard via tv/radio for the past 5 years!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 3:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
souldust: photonews.sunmismartcole.com/2011/02/02/war-on-crime-governor-babatunde-fashola-donates-100-patrol-vehicles50-motorcycles-to-police/

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
people are mentioning ethiopia but i wonder what exploit their military have made to be mentioned ahead of us. Pls dont mention the stand off with somalia whose military is almost non existent. Or eritrea.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 3:42pm On Feb 27, 2013
There is nothing wrong the nigerian cop cars. They suit the terrian. Any case SAPS all so used baakies(pick up trucks) in larg amount.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
solomon111: I never said Nigeria is the best in Africa.
I would rate us fourth.
Egypt,Ethiopia,south-africa,Nigeria,though an investment of $1billion in the Navy and the airforce military hardwares(which is where we are relatively weak) should see us compete favourably with Ethiopia and southafrica.
All military platforms in Nigeria can be operated by Nigerians,as we make it part of the deal when buying military hardwares.
We don't buy hardwares without the training of Nigerians by the sellers.

Why do u rate Ethiopia on par with SA? The same Ethiopia who can't even provide 1 naval ship to counter piracy of its shipping routes and now relies on Nato and other nations for protection of vital shipping lanes. Ethiopia aren't even in the top 4 african military rankings.

Training is usually standard part procurement policy of hardware the world over, but where I have issues is the management of these systems with regards to upgrading which usually takes place in the country of origin where and not in Nigeria itself a typical example would be your alpha jets and C130's which went to Germany for systems upgrades.

$1bn is not even enough to by 12 of Nigerias current F-7 jets including parts and service agreements let alone warships.

I really think u don't have a clue about militaries.

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.