Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,439 members, 7,940,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 10:15 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (249847 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by otapiapia: 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2011
Is Ogbuefi an Ika man?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 3:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
Eze,

Well, would you not like that people become knowledgable in your history?

Ogbuefi is the voice that shares that historical awareness. The problem is people in that position that are the voice of culture and history are very deeply rooted in the belief that they are speaking for the best culture around. So in their recital or narrative certain aspects are suppressed if they are humiliating and embellished if they are glorious. All native historians are guilty of that bias. History is not necessarily truth, its only an accountn, and since you might need it one day as a propaganda tool, proactive care is observed on how much need to be shared and what in it should be decorated for presentation.

You feel me?

History as a propaganda tool is very effective for beating down your rivals and winning against competition, particularly on issues of territorial disputes. What Ogbuefi is doing falls smack into that role.

He is not rewriting Igbo history, rather he is exploiting the lack of awareness and strong founding in others to retell who they are in an attempt to subdue their pride and spirit, thereby shaking loose their firm grip on their land. You cannot move or win over a strong person but by creating vulnerability and exploiting that crackline you can subdue him.

When you mention google, wikipedia, online resources as the spring for your claim, however false the claim maybe. . . . .people drop their resistance and back off from challenging your claim. Incrementally we all have unconsciously undergone social engineering and being conditioned to view these resources as a sacrament. By using wikipedia as source and he is therefore absolving himself by saying "if you don't believe at least you believe wikipedia".

Wikipedia is nothing but an open database. The word "open" is the keyword here. It reports to the world what you want it to say.

Anyway, you need to wake the fvck up Eze and develop a discriminating and shrewd mind instead of living a "follow-follow" life.

In my view, Ogbuefi is a propagandist, a mediocre one really! But I admire his style of wordsmithing and coherence.

I will be back later to adress his response to me from yesterday. I'm about to blow his Bini/Akure/Owo tale apart.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 6:57pm On Jul 21, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Eze,

Well, would you not like that people become knowledgable in your history?

Ogbuefi is the voice that shares that historical awareness. The problem is people in that position that are the voice of culture and history are very deeply rooted in the belief that they are speaking for the best culture around. So in their recital or narrative certain aspects are suppressed if they are humiliating and embellished if they are glorious. All native historians are guilty of that bias. History is not necessarily truth, its only an accountn, and since you might need it one day as a propaganda tool, proactive care is observed on how much need to be shared and what in it should be decorated for presentation.

You feel me?

History as a propaganda tool is very effective for beating down your rivals and winning against competition, particularly on issues of territorial disputes. What Ogbuefi is doing falls smack into that role.

He is not rewriting Igbo history, rather he is exploiting the lack of awareness and strong founding in others to retell who they are in an attempt to subdue their pride and spirit, thereby shaking loose their firm grip on their land. You cannot move or win over a strong person but by creating vulnerability and exploiting that crackline you can subdue him.

When you mention google, wikipedia, online resources as the spring for your claim, however false the claim maybe. . . . .people drop their resistance and back off from challenging your claim. Incrementally we all have unconsciously undergone social engineering and being conditioned to view these resources as a sacrament. By using wikipedia as source and he is therefore absolving himself by saying "if you don't believe at least you believe wikipedia".

Wikipedia is nothing but an open database. The word "open" is the keyword here. It reports to the world what you want it to say.

Anyway, you need to wake the fvck up Eze and develop a discriminating and shrewd mind instead of living a "follow-follow" life.

In my view, Ogbuefi is a propagandist, a mediocre one really! But I admire his style of wordsmithing and coherence.

I will be back later to adress his response to me from yesterday. I'm about to blow his Bini/Akure/Owo tale apart.
Monkey or baboon, choose one, which one are you?. You want to be an Igbo by force, no matter how hard you try, you will never be one, beast. Why not go and thrash out all the madness going out in Odualand and more recently, about your brother who jumped into the lagoon. You have never made any sense since you joined this thread but to display stupidity upon stupidity. Are you not ashamed of yourself. How about the insults you get from all angles.
Baboon phucking asz fart, I do not really know what makes you so dumb but it really works, it's true, idiott.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 7:20pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ngo "the brute",

Lol! Learn to talk to people.

Where's ChinenyeN to put you back on leash?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 8:00pm On Jul 21, 2011
otapiapia:

Is Ogbuefi an Ika man?

Yes.Ogbuefi is an Ika man.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 8:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ogbuefi,

As you probably already know by now I recently annointed myself a sentinel. I prowl around looking for mis-informaton aimed at discrediting Yoruba history. I shoot a flame-tipped arrow at the falsehood and if the miscreant author insists that he is standing on a truthful account then I ask for proof. That is a deliberate act of goodwill in hope the party regains their sense and drop the issue. This is what I did in your case.

I have brought both your statements on the subject of a war between Bini and Akure/Owo and they are inserted below in quotation markers. There are many issues to attend to in your response, I'm taking it in piecemeal, starting with the Akure/Owo issue. People might wonder why something that far back in history and of no impact today is absorbing this much of my time and focus. My answer to that is, the issue is not an isolated reference in your thoughts, it has profound meaning and it is physically anchored in the discussion on ANIOMA. One of the principal ethnic group in what you call ANIOMA-IGBO is indeed a ANIOMA-YORUBA. Your calculated intent to mention Bini/Akure/Owo in a write up on Western and Eastern Igbo clans was not missed on my end at all.

Your opponent on the topic, Physics, caught your drift, I'm sure, but did not see fit to challenge it because it promotes and augments his own ideologue position on who was more mighty between Ife and Bini. So by false account Akure/Owo was a collateraly lost in the battle of mutual interests to promote and counter promote Bini/Anioma.

Let's take a look at your first and second commentaries on Akure/Owo. I will provide my own assessment of your pose in both situations.

<Quote>
During the reign of Oba Ewuare many Anioma clans were invaded by Benin forces and some of them were cajoled to join the imperial Benin army when they refocused their imperial tendencies westwards towards Yorubaland.The sons of Ijue, the founder and first Obi of Ute Okpu were involved in the wars against such towns like Akure and Owo and for many years were engaged in those wars
</quote>

Here you sounded "authoritative" on the information. Like you have a first rate undisputably accurate information to go by.

After asking you to provide specifics on this battle you came back with the following:

<Quote>
Ask any Edo, Akure or Owo person who is vast in history if there have never been any wars between these three states.It was customary in those days for states to recruit in their ranks people that may not be of native origin.Benins were experts in this. For instance in Ugbodu(an Anioma) is a qtr called "Ologhosa". According to traditional history , Oba Ehengbuda of Benin had invaded Anioma communities looting and carting people as slaves but the Olukwumi towns of Ugbodu and Ukwunzu struck a deal with the Oba to act as military outposts or spies for the Benin Kingdom.One of Oba Ehengbuda  trusted warrior was one Ologun who is of Owo origin( now see the case in reverse) and he was ask to settle in Ugbodu where his descendants constitute the Ologhosa qtr while a shrine named after the Oba was intalled at Ukwunzu.Thus these two towns became sites which the Edos could use to invade other Anioma communities and demand for tributes
</quote>

In this case posing as a "distant observer" with zero interest on the authenticity.

Well, I don't need to ask anyone because I know exactly where your claim will lead. I wish to say it is an insult on the throne of Bini for many of these nonsense you attribute to that crown.

I have more followups on this but for now I need to attend to some other things here.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2011
@Ogbuefi,let it be known to everyone that the Ika `Igborn`does not equate to the Edo `Igbon`.It is a homophone whose meaning in the Edo language had over time deviated from the Ika-Igbo one.The real Ika knows the etymology of the word `Igbon`from which Igbo is derived.
The Edo word for a slave is `Ovien`.
The folksong predates the migration of the Igbos westwards to Anioma. Udo is a part of Biniland today and it could be correctly deduced that Ika was too because they were[b] BROTHERS  [/b].They had been split up to live with their kinsmen and they prospered in their new environment.The song does not mention Esans(who are linguistically closer to the Binis than any other Edo speaking people),Urhobos,Isokos,Owans,Unemes,Etsakos or the Igalas with which the Edos fought many wars or the Yorubas that they had political,religous and cultural relationships because it was about themselves.
Got a job at hand.will be back. wink
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 9:47pm On Jul 21, 2011
Negro ntns, u dont know ish about my people in the delta region of nigeria so mechionu gi, I grudgingly accept being called ANIOMA, So what is Anioma clan in your last write up? The you know the word Anioma was made up by come chump less than 60yrs ago who just put together the first letter of the various people comprising igbos west of the Niger? Prior to this nothing like Anioma,

bokohalal biko u too anioma is a garbage term to me, i prefer oshimili pesin cos Ndi oshimili are older than so called "anioma"
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 10:01pm On Jul 21, 2011
'Cont from break. . .

<Quote>
During the reign of Oba Ewuare many Anioma clans were invaded by Benin forces and some of them were cajoled to join the imperial Benin army when they refocused their imperial tendencies westwards towards Yorubaland.
</quote>

What an insult!

Bini kingdom cajoling a clan to fight its war against Yoruba! Really?

On what scale was Anioma to Bini that a monarch will need cajoling them to take up positions which in those ages was a "honorable" service and the King only needed to give his command to it and the order was completed.

You are inferring with your nonsense that
1. the King had to enter into some negotiation to overcome their reluctance to serve in his royal warrior corps.

2. That Bini was depleted in its warrior population and dependence on a neighboring clan is necessary in order to go raid another monarchy state.

3. That Bini standing army could not lead and win a war against Akure/Owo, Anioma have more gallant warriors that can lead the incursion westward and get this job done and that an Anioma son Ujie, who until before was not a warrior of any mighty caliber but we now see him commanding Bini imperial army into Yorubaland, Akure/Owo to be specific.

I'm truly shocked that Physics took all that rubbish calmly. I'm not Bini directly but I'm vexed at this insult and your twists to uphold Anioma as a great land of bravemen. The Oba only had to give his command and the whole Anioma and beyond, all the way to the Niger will be leveled. This is not even an error, this is insanity.

I'm so upset about that falshood that the "ignorant" Negro wants to jump out and tell you what I think of you. But no, I will keep that in reserve for later.

I don't care who you are Ogbuefi, next time you insult the Bini crown with your BS you will hear my tongue. Seriously!!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

The Oba only had to give his command and the whole Anioma and beyond, all the way to the Niger will be leveled.

Complete rubbish, and I think someone already noted that there was no such thing as Anioma in the past.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 10:11pm On Jul 21, 2011
The Oba only had to give his command and the whole Anioma and beyond, all the way to the Niger will be leveled.

actually, I think benin was planning an all out attack on ika area when the british incident happened.

not sure if this was a response to the ika "rebellion" or not.

i'd have to look up info on dates of what's being discussed here.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2011
Any attack on the Ika area would have crippled whatever was left of Benin then. How can Benin think of attacking the Ika clans? That's not even the way they gained influence in Agbor and other clans.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 10:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
Bini kingdom cajoling a clan to fight its war against Yoruba! Really?

On what scale was Anioma to Bini that a monarch will need cajoling them to take up positions which in those ages was a "honorable" service and the King only needed to give his command to it and the order was completed.

You are inferring with your nonsense that
1. the King had to enter into some negotiation to overcome their reluctance to serve in his royal warrior corps.

2. That Bini was depleted in its warrior population and dependence on a neighboring clan is necessary in order to go raid another monarchy state.  

3. That Bini standing army could not lead and win a war against Akure/Owo, Anioma have more gallant warriors that can lead the incursion westward and get this job done and that an Anioma son Ujie, who until before was not a warrior of any mighty caliber but we now see him commanding Bini imperial army into Yorubaland, Akure/Owo to be specific

all the outer reaches of the southwest were engaged in wars with surrounding tribes who either wanted more territory, control of trade routes, or simply because they didnt like each other.

in the western yorubaland, abeokuta was engaged in a long war with dahomey.

to the north, the fulani engaged and took kwara after yorubas had lost their territory in niger state.

to the east, there were wars with benin.

anioma would be called to source expeditions to the west of benin because many of them had links with the place, imo.

Until we find out what was the ethnic composition of benin's "standing army", you cant dismiss the claims for sure.

My guess is a large part of this army might have been composed of aniomas although its not certain until more research is done.

btw, you're highlighting benin alone and ignoring other kingdoms like nupe, dahomey, etc who also had expansionist ambitions towards the yoruba.

the yoruba typically do not fight wars to gain territory but simply to hold or defend preexisting ones. As such, any wars between yoruba and bini, would not result in yorubas claiming bini land.

this of course does not refer to wars fought to obtain slaves.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2011
ezeagu:

Any attack on the Ika area would have crippled whatever was left of Benin then. How can Benin think of attacking the Ika clans? That's not even the way they gained influence in Agbor and other clans.

the punitive attack would have been before the british one.

i cant remember what it was supposed to be about but i think there was a rebellion of some sort.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:23pm On Jul 21, 2011
tpia@:

the punitive attack would have been before the british one.

i cant remember what it was supposed to be about but i think there was a rebellion of some sort.

There's always been some sort of tension between Benin and Agbor especially as the chief state of the Ika. The rebellion wouldn't have led to Benin attacking communities that have been founded and trained by it's own former war generals I don't think.

I believe that Ika and any other clan group in what is now called Anioma were too busy guarding their own to be sending their warriors to go and fight for Benin. Whatever 'Anioma' soldiers there were in the Benin army were no longer Anioma but assimilated Benin citizens. Also there are other non-Igbo clans that could be called to fight for Benin.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 10:27pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^i'd have to do some research on that.

what's clear at the moment is some yoruba speaking people settled in anioma and got assimilated [sort of] into the tribes they met there.

some claim they were descendants of yoruba soldiers who didnt return home after whatever war brought them to that area while others feel they migrated either through the slave trade or regular one.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 10:30pm On Jul 21, 2011
also, it seems some parts of ondo state traded slaves and so on with the portuguese (just finding that out now), so the portuguese could also have had a hand in whatever is being discussed here.

there's very little information about that period and their activities in the area.

the slaves were probably gotten inland and marched or ferried down to the coast. Or traded within the general region.

however, little is known about this.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:32pm On Jul 21, 2011
It mustn't have been a community made up of the same substance as the Benin migrants were (War generals) for their voice to be so tiny in Anioma, their language is even considered extinct.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 11:28pm On Jul 21, 2011
ezeagu:

It mustn't have been a community made up of the same substance as the Benin migrants were (War generals) for their voice to be so tiny in Anioma, their language is even considered extinct.

the language is no longer spoken in the southwest, or is extinct in the southwest.

however this doesnt mean it isnt spoken elsewhere since it's still called an old form of yoruba.

until we see a linguistic analysis of the language in question, hard to actually say for sure.

according to this paper, the language sounds like the yoruba spoken in brazil, and sounds like the usehin (iseyin?) and akure dialects:

http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journals/T%20&%20T/T%20&%20T-07-0-000-09-Web/T%20&%20T-07-1-000-09-Abst-PDF/T&T-07-1-047-09-186-Mordi-E-N/T&T-07-1-047-09-186-Mordi-E-N-Tt.pdf

personally, i've known about them for a while now but just didnt consider the issue very important. They're from their area, same as everyone else around them.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 11:31pm On Jul 21, 2011
<Quote>
Ask any Edo, Akure or Owo person who is vast in history if there have never been any wars between these three states.
</quote>

There is lifelong war between Ife and Modakeke but its territorial skirmishes, a flare of emotions that shuts down the town for few days while everyone get their sense back and return back to their boundary lines. A war between Bini and Akure/Owo that called for the Oba of Bini to adopt a strategy would also have been lethal enough that it would equally draw the attention of Obokun of Ijeshaland or Oba of Ekiti. In contemporary scale that would be an international war like cross country between say Nigeria and Republic of Benin. In those days prisoners of war are carted off as slaves. Obokun will not sit back and watch Omo N'Oba snatch his children away, neither will Omo N'oba not get his own back if Obokun attacked his domain. Every war at interstate level in Yorubaland has record in name, date and outcome.

I need you to provide these and prove me wrong.

<Quote>
It was customary in those days for states to recruit in their ranks people that may not be of native origin
<quote>

Yes it was but empires had a native warrior corps and its a lineage so that children born into that family are in turn raised to be warriors. Reserve army consisted of foreigners and slaves and would not be the spearhead of an imperial combat. But like you said if children of Ujie were emnployed as marauders, then their task was limited to act as deterrents - a force deployed to the frontier as a symbol of strength and density, opposed to combating army. Still, an imperial Oba will not be involved at such a granular level of war strategy, much less cajoling a clan.

<Quote>
Benins were experts in this. For instance in Ugbodu(an Anioma) is a qtr called "Ologhosa". According to traditional history , Oba Ehengbuda of Benin had invaded Anioma communities looting and carting people as slaves
</quote>

Stop right here!
Oba Ehengbuda did what now?

<Quote>
but the Olukwumi towns of Ugbodu and Ukwunzu struck a deal with the Oba to act as military outposts or spies for the Benin Kingdom.One of Oba Ehengbuda  trusted warrior was one Ologun who is of Owo origin( now see the case in reverse) and he was ask to settle in Ugbodu where his descendants constitute the Ologhosa qtr while a shrine named after the Oba was intalled at Ukwunzu.Thus these two towns became sites which the Edos could use to invade other Anioma communities and demand for tributes.
</quote>

I'm fighting hard to restrain my tongue!

You know what let me ask you a question Ogbuefi. Was this your fantasy Anioma even a state?  You see why I call you a propagandist. You are falsifying and rewriting historical accounts and fabricating conjectures to manufacture a Igbo foothold in an aboriginal land that was previously void of Igbo or Nri or Aro presence until the arrival of European missionary which recruited Igbo as its agent into the remote jungle where the terrain and weather were adverse to their health and posed risk to life. In addition that these remote communities were antagonistic to the white man presence. Igbo was the soft buffer through which that missionary job was spread to instruct and teach the ways of the white man and this in effect forced the wholesale of your language thereby influencing native tongues. Prior to your hinterland missionary work Bini had established foothold and installed a ruling class in this your Anioma.

Lukumi is the language of the Ugbodu and its sister towns and their ethnicity is Yoruba. They are from Akure/Owo area and settled on this land. You fabricated a story of how Oba of Bini cajoled your Anioma to go fight and, I guess pillage their land like he did in Anioma, their land and now we see that even a son of that soil, an Owo warrior loyal to Omo N'Oba was part of the plot. So altogether we have Oba first lootiong Anioma, then using Anioma sons to go loot another land and then encouraged a traitor to lead that looting.

You should be a screen writer.

So the people of Ugbodu that begged Oba to join his army on the mission to loot westward into Yorubaland, were they Igbo or the settlers that had migrated from Akure/Owo axis?

You don't need to answer, I already know where your plot was headed.

Anioma must have been an Empire back then, 'cos looks like everytime Anioma featured in your story the Oba of Bini was involved in the matter. They were a great threat that consumed much of his time and focus. Not just one Oba, but successive ones.

Physics, why do you allow this riffraff loser to insult the throne like this for God's sake?

<Quote>
2) Like I say before Agbontaen is no match to me as it relates to the Ika and Anioma people as well as their history and civilization because he has from the beginning  chosen to be biased about certain issues which I usually present to him.
<Quote>

Oh yeah! How is propaganda more credible than bias?

<Quote>
Of course the word "Igbo" was adopted  from somewhere just as the word "Yoruba " was used in reference to the Old Oyo Empire(now used for all Yoruba speaking peoples).
</quote>

Oh Negro, take a deep breath. . .

In. . . Out; In. . . . .Out!!
Now, don't say it, hush and let it go!!
I'm forced to take a break on this one, be back later.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 11:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^back then there was no yoruba land [or anioma land for that matter].

the thing is, these issues arent black and white.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 11:56pm On Jul 21, 2011
Tpia, I understand the points you are making. I am not narrating history, I am challenging an attempt to bend history.

To better understand and capture the whole picture you will have to read Ogbuefi, Physics, Agbotaen and there is one or more other people on this issue. Go read the entire contributions and you will get the picture.

Ogbuefi is pushing propaganda to build a soft image for Anioma. It is expected that the move to create Anioma state will meet with great pushback in both Edo and Delta states. So this is part of the grassroot work on the Igbo side.

Anuioma is a sentimental spot in the Igbo spirit. It was nothing, it still is nothing but to make it "something" worth popular acceptance a glorious past is needed that gives it antiquity presence.

Its nothing but BS! Its okay to fight for Anioma, we all wish the people and their aspirations well but not at the cost of denigrating noble cultures and thrones with simplistic plots of crap!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 12:05am On Jul 22, 2011
havent read through the whole thread from page to page.

From what i gather so far:

1. ogbuefi believes ika are igbo

2. agbontean says ika are closer to benin, not igbo, with some exceptions being communities which are directly descended from igbo

3. negro ntns says ika should align with benin, not igbo [not sure what your view of their origins is]  and also, you do not accept ogbuefi's account of benin war strategy

4. physics hmd says some people [ikas?] are insulting benin and he wants to reply them

5. some other folk are also contributing- dont have the breakdown- i think someone said igbos were insulted and so he's responding to that.

also not sure if nos 4 and 5 were from this thread or a different one.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 12:07am On Jul 22, 2011
It is expected that the move to create Anioma state will meet with great pushback in both Edo and Delta states

most likely it will.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 12:18am On Jul 22, 2011
@negro nts.I am fed up with your interference in what does not in any way concern you.You are typical of the Nigerian stock that hates Igbos without reason.You are scared of Igbo unity.I started a thread on Ukwunzu and other Yoruba settlements in Anioma(Written by a Yoruba journalist).I think you should dig that up and contribute there.There are Hausa settlements in Elele,Umuahia and Lokpanta.So are there settlements of other ethnic groups in the midst of others.

One question to end this your unneccessary incursion.The 1966 coup led by Nzeogwu was it Igbo or Anioma coup?Was Ironsi and millions of others killed by your fathers because they were Anioma or Igbo?We know people like you.Agbotaen is one of the Igbos that has allowed the fear of what your fathers did to us to affect his sense of reasoning and hence fear of being hurt if he identifies with his Igboness.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by abagoro(m): 12:35am On Jul 22, 2011
@tpia.Read this link.I opened up a thread on it but I just discovered that it was deleted.I think there is conspiracy to cover up some truth on nairaland.http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/features/2357-a-yoruba-enclave-in-the-heart-of-igboland-story-of-ugbodu-others-in-delta-state.

Read it before they will delete.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 12:40am On Jul 22, 2011
Negro_Ntns:
Lukumi is the language of the Ugbodu and its sister towns and their ethnicity is Yoruba.

Their ethnicity is no longer Yoruba and never will be ever again. Their Yoruba past is evident in some things, but they have been absorbed just like the Edo migrants have. Something people will have to get over.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 12:46am On Jul 22, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

You are falsifying and rewriting historical accounts and fabricating conjectures to manufacture a Igbo foothold in an aboriginal land that was previously void of Igbo or Nri or Aro presence until the arrival of European missionary which recruited Igbo as its agent into the remote jungle where the terrain and weather were adverse to their health and posed risk to life.

Who are aboriginal people of Ika land?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 12:49am On Jul 22, 2011
Since Ugbodu is surrounded by the Igbo-speaking Aniomas, it did not take much time before the Igbo Language started to interfere greatly on the people’s language. Accordingly, Igbo influence steadily and progressively made what has now become permanent inroad and considerable impact on the socio-cultural life as well as linguistic orientation of the Ugbodu people. With this, the Edo influence began to wane, resulting in the adoption of Igbo names in preference to Edo names. Thus from the middle of the 19th century, the general shift was from Edo to Igbo names. This can be seen in the names of Olozas, who ruled between the middle of the 19th century and late 20th century such as Dike, Ochei, Ezenweani and Isinyemeze.

Another factor that also contributed to the decline of Olukumi, according to findings, is that there was a time in the past when an understanding of the Edo or Igbo language, was considered as a status symbol. According to an elder in the town, “An Oluku mi who spoke the two languages then was considered superior to others because it meant that he had travelled wide. This was the inferiority complex our people unwittingly created for themselves which we are trying to correct now.”

shocked

[size=5pt](Who's complaining though)[/size]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by abagoro(m): 12:53am On Jul 22, 2011
Another issue that I am yet to come to terms is the scanty or lack of Nri settlements in Southern Igboland.Nri is not as influential in Southern Igbo as it is in Anambra,Enugu and Delta.

I sometimes seem to think that Southern Igbos might have come from a more Southernly direction while the Northern Igbos are of Nri stock.They might have merged at Isuama and created Igbo as we know it today.The Isu might even be more of an influential group in the South.For example Ikwerres call every Igbo speaker north of them "Nwisoama" which literally means "son of Isu".

Only Ibuzo is an Isu settlement I have heard of in Delta-Igbo.I will like to know if their dialect is significantly different from other Anioma like Owerri is from Onitsha or Orlu from Awka.Do they call land Ala,Ali,Ana or Ani?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:55am On Jul 22, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

It is expected that the move to create Anioma state will meet with great pushback in both Edo and Delta states.

tpia@:

most likely it will.

Who will oppose it in Edo state? On what grounds? What makes you think Edo state politics is even remotely concerned with what happens in Anioma?

The only possible objection I can think of is this Oza nogogo issue, but that issue is not even well known. There will most likely be no "pushback" from Edo state.

And who will oppose it in Delta state? Are you aware of the statements about "Real Delta" vs. Anioma that some of the people there make? Are you unaware of the grumbling about Warri not being the capital?

I also responded to your statement about a planned "all out attack on the Ika area" by Benin under the moniker PhysicsQED, but the spambot caught/hid the post.

ezeagu:

Their ethnicity is no longer Yoruba and never will be ever again. Their Yoruba past is evident in some things, but they have been absorbed just like the Edo migrants have. Something people will have to get over.

Oza nogogo has not been absorbed.

Oza nogogo is Bini. When I tried to rightfully claim them as Bini (which they are) somebody here fought very hard for them to be denied of who they are based on claims of some imperial lordship over them by a certain kingdom! I'm starting to think that this is motivated more by mineral royalties than common sense.

Somebody is talking about Benin kingdom when I am instead talking about the Bini ethnicity and I think it is a deliberate attempt to mislead. Under any reasonable definition of ethnicity, the oppressed Oza nogogo people are of the Bini stock and not of the Anioma sub-group of the Igbos. This whole claim of them being "Anioma" is absurd. Anioma is an identity created only a few decades back but it did not exist prior to the 20th century and did not even exist at the beginning of the 20th century. This claim simply has no basis. There is no way that they are absorbed when they are clearly Bini.

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.