Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,502 members, 7,940,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 01:41 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (249854 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 7:01pm On Jul 12, 2011
abagoro:

@agbotaen, we have passed this stage and you have been disgraced out and yet you keep coming here to digrace yourself,the Ika and the entire Igbo.

The name of your website (ndi)owa.com is already passing a message of (ndi)igbo.com.

Obi of Owa has made it very clear that he is an Nri man by lineage and your kingship is based on Nri and not Bini.You rather got influenced by Bini.

It is safe for you to choose not to be Igbo but stop talking on behalf of those greater than you(Obi Efeizomor has claimed Igbo).He is the custodian of your culture and hence has more knowledge than you Solomon.Your father is not happy with you at all.
WORD.
vicenzo:

Dude,give it up,stop dragging agbor into this,your are not from agbor,you have a bigger fish to fry,agbontaen,your obi,the obi of owa, have dumped your beloved bini for nri,agbontaen! Shouldn't you be confronting your obi with your bini crap? Why are you wasting your time in NL, writing to people who cannot help bring your obi to his senses,so that he will uphold your bini crap? Shouldn't you be seeking the help of bini witches to fortify you for your task? Since when has ika turned to agbor and owa only,that an igbodo man's opinion should not be listened to?

WORD
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 7:06pm On Jul 12, 2011
abagoro:

This is from your www.ndiowa.com foolish man.Now go and hug transformer.

The first version and by far the most popular states that Ndi Owa are of Nri origin, i.e. from Awka in Anambra State. According to Onwuejeogwu (1970) and based on linguistic, archeological and genealogical data, the migratory movement started at about 900 A.D. and continued till early 20th century. This migratory flow led to the establishment of towns and villages to the west of the Niger. But more importantly, immigrants from Nri, between the 12th and 13th centuries settled at Ute-Okpu under the leadership of Ijueh, who thus established the dynasty of rulers of Ute-Okpu. It was therefore from Ute-Okpu that Odogwu later established the Owa dynasty

http://www.ndi-owa.com/index.php/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:origin-of-owa&catid=4:owa&Itemid=9
Thanks Abagworo, thanks for bring this up. Even Prof Onwuejeogwu who spent over 20 years of his career researching on Western Igbo people is from Anioma/Delta state.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 10:06pm On Jul 12, 2011
Agbotaen,

You know me as a defender of the truth. If there is no one else left standing in your defense Negro will be there for you.

I am still on your side and questioning this senseless propaganda by Igbos to grab lands for a forcefull creation of Anioma state.

They learnt, to their benefit, from the Asaba saga.
After reading your last response and the counter responses from Abagworo, Andre and Vincen, there is a thought in mind but I will refrain from saying it here because I see an advantage in its wisdom that could serve a benefit for Yoruba if ever their pathetic ambition lead them into wanting to claim Edoland.

I do have a question for you but first let me give illustration.

All Nigerian ethnic grps are patrilineal. Name is a child's identity. Name is also the land's identity.

I noticed that repeatedly, the Ika names and the Ika territory are all leaning towards an Nri foothold than a Bini one.

Why give your child an Igbo name, in preference to Bini name, unless that Igbo represent a far greater eminence in your ancestral pride and past?

Rituals and festvals are fluid. Lagos has Eyo, but Eyo is from Ijebu. Lagos also has Igunnu, but Igunnu is from Old Oyo and what is now Nupe.

However, the Kings of Lagos are Bini by ancestry but Bini cannot claim ownership of the land.

If say lands in Lagos and the native children are named after Bini, then it means Lagos is faced away from Awori and towards Bini for its glory and allegiance.

So why are your people, Ika, carrying Igbo pride in name and land but denying membership in the Nri ancestry?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 7:41am On Jul 13, 2011
The SIT DOWN with Wizboyy

Can you give us a small intro? Can you introduce yourself? Who is Wizboyy?
Hello. I go by the name Isioma Wiz Ofuasia from Umunede, Delta state. A graduate of statistics from the University of Nigeria. I am an artiste/producer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.

You hooked up with 9ice for a remix, how and why?
A friend of mine hooked me up with 9ice. ‘Owu sa gi’ was a great hit such that people sang to it even those who didn’t know d meaning. I had to bridge that gap by doing that remix with a yoruba hip-life king (Lagos being the centre of entertainment). 9ice came to mind and it worked at the end of d day. One of the most unexpected and successful collabos of 2010. By the way, Owu sa gi is an ibo phrase that means “if poverty catch u” you go get sense.

You have a pretty interesting name, break down the meaning of your alias.
The alias was just an appendage to my name Wiz (short for wisdom). Back in school, my friends would call me Wizboy as a way of describing my creative ingenuity.so d name evolved from there.

http://questionmarkmag.com/2011/06/the-sit-down-with-wizboyy/

I believe we all know Wizboy from Owu sa gi fame
And here is an Ika Boy from umunede, who knows where he is from not agbotanen,
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 9:36am On Jul 13, 2011
Igbo Boy,

Where in the context did "Wizzy" say he is of Igbo descent or that Ika is Igbo?

I know he said onwu sa gi is an Igbo expression.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 1:05am On Jul 14, 2011
negro_ntns

Am not going to argue with you who is igbo and who is not, But i believe i am in a better position to speak on this matter than you, How can someone all the way from Ijebu come and tell and Oshimili man or and Ika Man or an Ndokwa man whether he is igbo or not? undecided
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:04am On Jul 14, 2011
Hmm, don't worry. We shall meet again.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by otapiapia: 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2011
igbo boy:

negro_ntns

Am not going to argue with you who is igbo and who is not, But i believe i am in a better position to speak on this matter than you, How can someone all the way from Ijebu come and tell and Oshimili man or and Ika Man or an Ndokwa man whether he is igbo or not? undecided

Dont mind these silly Ijebu people coming to talk what they do not know about.

Igbo boy, thanks for that link on wizboyy. I use to think he was from Enugu. I dey the dude music die, especially the 'obodo' track with godwon.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2011

Hey 'tapiapia,

Make Chineke hamma ya yansh!

Ijebu go take ya land.

Onitshe-Ugbo no belong to una.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by lepasharon(f): 7:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
my gosh is dis page still going on?? im sure the poster knows d difference now abeg i dey receive ttoo many messages
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 8:28am On Jul 15, 2011
otapiapia:

Igbo boy, thanks for that link on wizboyy. I use to think he was from Enugu. I dey the dude music die, especially the 'obodo' track with godwon.

Yea i think he grew up in Enugu, Just like flavour N'abania grew up in Enugu but is from Anambra.

Nna the Obodo song makeri sense eziokwu.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 8:29am On Jul 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Hey 'tapiapia,

Make Chineke hamma ya yansh!

Ijebu go take ya land.

Onitshe-Ugbo no belong to una.

I have a feeling you were reared overseas
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by otapiapia: 9:42am On Jul 15, 2011
igbo boy:

Yea i think he grew up in Enugu, Just like flavour N'abania grew up in Enugu but is from Anambra.

Nna the Obodo song makeri sense eziokwu.

I just lof Enugu. Lots of great things coming out of there. I'll call it the centre of entertainment of the East.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 9:55am On Jul 15, 2011
otapiapia:

I just lof Enugu. Lots of great things coming out of there. I'll call it the centre of entertainment of the East.
true, some great arts have emerge from there lately
illbliss
wizboy
flavour
obiwon
depserate chicks
drenco
shakar el swagga etc
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:56pm On Jul 18, 2011
well i think it is funny for those internet historians who only want to say owa migrated from igboland ,aint they funny , what about owa that migrated also from benin or are you afraid to go to www.ndiowa.com and tell us what you find there ? and does obi of owa belong to ohaneze ndigbo ? the answer is no , and the fact is that we have passed all these , and no proper owa person would like to be called igbo , just like we would not like to be called bini , but we are ika people .
please read ika , land and her people published by ika group and onu ika , check owa history . and like i have always said the founders of owa came from ikoha in benin to dwell in a place called owa ofien today ,500 years before odogun came from ute okpu , and you can check the book called ndiowa and her monarch ,published in 2009 , that is the most comprehensive book on owa history , you can get it at the owa royal palace in oyibu .you will find some of these information there.
and if you go to ute okpu , you will find out that some people said odogun came from nri , while other elders say he came from benin , and do you know what their father ijue, and children odogun/edogun, ogbeje, igbedigi and okpu are all bearing edo names .
so we know that ute had both benin and igbo migrants and in owa too , we had both edo and igbo migrants but our elders and historians say the bini came first and that is settled . but we are ika .

ika people are divided into three language groups, western , central and eastern ikas , and they have slight dialectrical languga with those near aniocha area speaking languages that is near aniocha area .
i will list some things in owa dialect of ika.
due to the coming of the missionaries and education and influence of our neighbours , our language has undergone some changes , however i am going to make some list as spoken in owa ,for the interest of some owa / ika people who are outside of ika land .

1. God - oselobue ,this is original name for God , then later the word chukwu came also to be used.
2. ehi- guardian spirit.
3. orimi- heavenly/ spirit world.
4. ebon/ ogbe/ugbe- family
5. iboze/ agbon -lineage .
6. ogbe -town
7. idumu- village
8.ogbe- big
9.okpoho- woman
10. okenyen - man
11. okpoho -oba - matured woman
12. okenyen- oba - matured man
13. nedi- father
14. nnen- mother
15. nene- old woman/grand mother
16. odede- old woman/ grand mother
17. edionma- old man /grand father .
18. diokpa- old man .
19. oye - grand child
20. great grand child- utientien
21. great great grAND CHILD - sakpamaghori.
22. great great great grand child- oromaria
23.grand father - nedi kani
24. great grand father -nediodede
25.great grand mother neneodede
26. ewuru- shirt
27. satan- ojuwu
28. evil spirit ihonghai
29. dead lock- dada or ogbeihaga
30.cloths -ngburu
31, uniform- izagin
32. trouser -otoliwa
33. skirt -ubulukun
34.pot- ugbegbe
35. door- ekwe
36. glass- ughegbe
37. grinder -olo
38. plate - okpan
39.breakable- okpan akponi/
40. palm oil - ofingbon
41. light orukpe or ukpe
42. sun - enyanwun
43.air- ufere
44. kola- ogi
45. yam - igi
46. bucket -ukpabo
47. fan- ezuzu
48. chief -ohaime
49.cup -ogban/ mkpu
50.knife -ebeke
51. fowl- ohuhu
52.sword -olokor
53. stool - ekete
54. throne- ukpo
55. room - mmughe
56. parlour -ibere
57.kitchen-ukelu
58. moon - ifon
59. star - okokise
60. basket -ukpali
61. foundation-iyetor
62. bell - azah
63. bank- aza
64. gong- egogo
65. cutlas -opia/ asara
66. ihian- person
67. parrot- okue
68. lion- udumen/ eduke
69. leopard -eworo
70. tiger -ubidon
71- goat -ewu
72. female goat - odegbe
73. sheep -iloloh
74. floor -akpakali
75. bed -elukpo
76. palace- ogua
78. young female -igbagba
79. youth leader -olotu
80. head of youths -okaigbogbo
81. village head - edionma/ okibali/ okparan
82. barren -agan
83.dirty person - obon
84. dirt-etita
85. disgrace- uyaghami
86. farm- ogo/ eku/ ugbo
87. big farm - ekuku
88. singer -okarugba
89. swimmer- ozigue .
90. palm tree - okete
91. palmwine tapper- okpe
92. hunter -ogbeni/ohue
93. drummer - otida
94. drum - ida
95. staff of office - ada
96. scimiter- ebenren
97. nurse- owina / okawina
98. native doctor -obu / idibie
99. chief priest -ojobu
100. priest -ohenren
101. thank you - do / ndao
102. good night -oheki
103. suffer - uya .
104. happiness- ighogho
105. joy - oyo
106. thanks giving - onyimiseme
107- destiny - oriehi
108. fan- ezuzu
109. olokun- deity of sea
110- ogun/idigun/uzun- deity of iron
110- ohointe - god of war
111. thunder deity - mkpitime .
112. wind god - ajan
113. god of the earth- aliuzugbo
114. wirlwind -ebi
115. thunder- akpara
116. morning greetings - laire , laiweze and laiwe
117. greeting while eating is kada
118. greeting after meal is lakpoma .
119, greeting on a journey is iyare
120, greeting from a short journey is alua or aoo.
121`. naming ceremony is igba mkpoudu
122. long life is utormi .
123. greetings for a new child is omeghigho
124. play - ikiri
125, playing is igba ikiri.
126. whip - iberi/aya
127.arrow- ekpede
128. bullet - igele
129. poison- edide
130. day - uhoin
131 .hill - oke
132- giant- aduaruan
133. river - iyi
134. sea- ohinmin
135. valley - iyere
136. desert - ozara
137. forest- egboko
138. bicycle- ikeke
139. bottle - ogo
140. major road- uwaya
141. junction- ebuh
142. sickness -irehun/ emu
143. sickly-okunmun
144.dysentry- zegizegi
145. sweet - neneh/ usuo
146. maracas- isheke
147. cat- ologbo
148. slave- igbon
149. ibiegwa- royal servant
150. servant- odibo
151. omuada- holder of the staff of office
152. groundnut- isawewe
153. cotton - oruru
154. bachelor- ohai
155. spinster- idegbe
156- marriage - mgba.
157. ozegbe - victory
158. ediebo edienwase- staff of native doctors.
159. ofo- ancestor staff.
160. otsun- staff of power.
161 . king , ogiso/ obi /
162. nobore- royal guards .
163. ikpele/ ejije- oba- beads for chiefs.
164.horse- eshin
165. dog - nkite
166. tortoise - okpoikpo/ mbeku
167.rat- ogwo
168. sparrow -elekeleke
169. nail- ise
170. ohi- darkness
171. anger -ize/ iwe .
172.oda- plenty.
173. odin- deaf
174. iheneden- big.
175. gbamiroko- not true.
176. lies- ero/ ntu./ elenkesi
178. true- nkesi/ ezioku
179.utu-exit
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:57pm On Jul 18, 2011
i will send more , later
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 9:24pm On Jul 18, 2011
Agbontaen, you lack creativity. This same crap you have been posting since one year now has not changed even a word. Just as there are numerous dialects in Yorubaland so it is in Igboland. I can understand 75-80% of what you posted. But have a look at mine from Isinweke. Yet we do not deny our Igbo heritage.
Man-Okobrinwoko.
Fat-uduburu
nkpoko-bed
mainroad-ogidiala
sweet-ucho.
to flog-igha hye
Shoe-Agbagha
Play-uro
cloth-nwi
to kick-nteleukwu
dream-egugo
anger-oghughobi
More soon.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 11:36pm On Jul 18, 2011
<Quote>Ogbuefi 1:
1) What does the name "Owa" mean ?
Owa is derived from "Owa ri onwea" which in our dialect of Igbo means " he has parted ways".This is how the name came about. Owa owns her foundation to three princes from Ute Okpu namely Odogwu, Izomor and Igbegidi.The Ute Okpu and Ute Ogbeje people were founded by  Nri people which we Anioma people call "Nhi"(in Ika dialect) or Nshi(in other Anioma dialect).These people originall settled at Ute Ogbeje but some of them led by Ijue moved westards to found Ute Okpu.During the reign of Oba Ewuare many Anioma clans were invaded by Benin forces and some of them were cajoled to join the imperial Benin army when they refocused their imperial tendencies westwards towards Yorubaland.The sons of Ijue, the founder and first Obi of Ute Okpu were involved in the wars against such towns like Akure and Owo and for many years were engaged in those wars</quote>

Ogbuefi, you are one of the reasons why I left Foreign Affairs section to concentrate in home politics and rebutt the Igbo propaganda machine.

I don't need a 5page history on your response but I need you to pay attention to your falsification of history in the above and answer to the following (1) name the war and the year that Bini fought a war with Akure and Owo or anywhere else in Yorubaland.; (2) who won the war?

Andre Uweh,

Agbotaen repeatedly has said that his people and their land was first settled by Edo people and through the missionary influence (in which oyibo favored the more subordinate Igbo tribe over the insubordinating ones like Edo, Igbo became the "house slave" and was installed the native missioner) that taught church and instructions in Igbo language, the original tongue of the land became a fluid that is now called Ika. Ika peoiple refuse to be Igbo because in their nature they have never been one beside language tutoring and subsequent Igbo settlers from the East. Their nativity is proto-Bini, but even with that admission, their destiny and social evolution had parted with that of Bini years ago to the point now that they are a distinct identity from Bini, connected only through ancient progenitors. Nonetheless, in contemporary society they are a distinct IKA people, forget language influence, forget settlement story, forget names. . . They are not Igbo, period!

You Andre is emophasizing language as a proof of their Igbo root, even after it is established that if Igbo had been more resistant and resilient and not subordinate to oyibo's mission, you never would have been the one instructing christianity and hence your language would have had no presence over the native tongue of the neighboring indigenes.

Leave Ika alone, they are not Igbo. Do you get it at all?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by aljharem3: 12:21am On Jul 19, 2011
Ok now i understand Ika's point of view

Agbotean has been right all this while but we have just fail to listen to him

Andre is also right but i think Agbotean did not understand you

Ika is like an ethnic group that connects the igbos and edo together

Ikas are actually edo people but there language is an igbo dialect

http://www.ikaworld.com/index.php?mod=article&cat=IkaHistoryamp;Tradition&article=207

if so then it is hight time we leave them
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 4:45am On Jul 19, 2011
agbotaen:

well  i  think  it  is funny for those internet historians who only want to say owa migrated from igboland ,aint they funny , what about owa that migrated also from benin  or are you afraid to go to www.ndiowa.com  and tell us what you find there ? and does obi of owa belong to ohaneze ndigbo ? the answer is no , and the fact is that we have passed all these , and no proper owa person would like to be called igbo , just like we would not like to be called bini , but we are ika people .
    please read ika  , land and her people published by ika group and onu ika  , check owa history . and like i  have always said the founders of owa came from ikoha in benin to dwell in a place called owa ofien  today ,500 years before odogun came from ute okpu , and you can check   the book called ndiowa and her monarch ,published in 2009 , that is the most comprehensive book on owa history , you can get it at the owa royal palace in oyibu .you will find some of these information there.
   and  if you go to ute okpu , you will find out that some people said odogun came from nri , while other elders say he came from benin , and do you know what  their father ijue, and children odogun/edogun, ogbeje, igbedigi and okpu are all bearing edo  names . 
           so  we know that ute had both benin and igbo migrants and in owa too , we had both edo and igbo migrants but our elders and historians say the bini  came first and that is settled . but we are ika .

ika  people are divided into three language groups, western , central and eastern ikas , and they have slight dialectrical languga with those near aniocha area speaking languages that is near aniocha area .
        i   will   list  some  things in owa dialect  of ika.
      due to the coming of the missionaries and education and influence of our neighbours , our language has undergone some changes , however i am  going to make some list as spoken in owa ,for the interest of some owa / ika people who are outside of ika land .

1.  God  -  oselobue  ,this is original name for God , then later the word chukwu  came also to be used.
2. ehi-  guardian spirit.
3. orimi- heavenly/ spirit world.
4. ebon/ ogbe/ugbe-  family
5. iboze/ agbon -lineage .
6. ogbe -town
7. idumu- village
8.ogbe- big
9.okpoho- woman
10. okenyen - man
11. okpoho -oba - matured woman
12. okenyen- oba - matured man
13. nedi- father
14. nnen- mother
15. nene- old woman/grand mother
16. odede- old woman/ grand mother
17. edionma- old man /grand father .
18.  diokpa- old man .
19. oye - grand child
20. great grand child- utientien
21. great great grAND CHILD - sakpamaghori.
22. great great great grand child- oromaria
23.grand father - nedi kani
24. great grand father -nediodede
25.great grand mother neneodede
26. ewuru- shirt
27. satan- ojuwu
28. evil spirit  ihonghai
29. dead lock-  dada   or ogbeihaga
30.cloths -ngburu
31, uniform- izagin
32. trouser -otoliwa
33. skirt -ubulukun
34.pot- ugbegbe
35. door- ekwe
36. glass- ughegbe
37. grinder -olo
38. plate - okpan
39.breakable- okpan akponi/
40. palm oil - ofingbon
41. light orukpe or ukpe
42. sun - enyanwun
43.air- ufere
44. kola- ogi
45. yam - igi
46. bucket -ukpabo
47. fan- ezuzu
48. chief -ohaime
49.cup -ogban/ mkpu
50.knife -ebeke
51. fowl- ohuhu
52.sword -olokor
53. stool - ekete
54. throne- ukpo
55. room - mmughe
56. parlour -ibere
57.kitchen-ukelu
58. moon - ifon
59. star - okokise
60. basket -ukpali
61. foundation-iyetor
62. bell - azah
63. bank- aza
64. gong- egogo
65. cutlas -opia/ asara
66. ihian- person
67. parrot- okue
68. lion- udumen/ eduke
69. leopard -eworo
70. tiger -ubidon
71- goat -ewu
72. female goat - odegbe
73. sheep -iloloh
74. floor -akpakali
75. bed -elukpo
76. palace- ogua
78. young female -igbagba
79. youth leader -olotu
80. head of youths -okaigbogbo
81. village head - edionma/ okibali/ okparan
82. barren -agan
83.dirty person - obon
84. dirt-etita
85. disgrace- uyaghami
86. farm- ogo/ eku/ ugbo
87. big farm - ekuku
88. singer -okarugba
89. swimmer- ozigue .
90. palm tree - okete
91. palmwine tapper- okpe
92. hunter -ogbeni/ohue
93. drummer - otida
94. drum - ida
95. staff of office - ada
96. scimiter- ebenren
97. nurse- owina / okawina
98. native doctor -obu / idibie
99. chief priest -ojobu
100. priest -ohenren
101. thank you - do / ndao
102. good night -oheki
103. suffer - uya .
104. happiness- ighogho
105. joy - oyo
106. thanks giving - onyimiseme
107- destiny - oriehi
108. fan- ezuzu
109. olokun- deity of sea
110- ogun/idigun/uzun- deity of iron
110- ohointe - god of war
111. thunder deity - mkpitime .
112. wind god - ajan
113. god of the earth- aliuzugbo
114. wirlwind  -ebi
115. thunder- akpara
116. morning greetings - laire , laiweze  and laiwe
117. greeting while eating is kada
118. greeting after meal is lakpoma .
119, greeting on a journey is iyare
120, greeting from a short journey is alua  or aoo.
121`. naming ceremony is igba mkpoudu
122. long life is utormi .
123. greetings for a new child is omeghigho
124. play - ikiri
125, playing is igba ikiri.
126. whip  - iberi/aya
127.arrow- ekpede
128. bullet - igele
129. poison- edide
130. day - uhoin
131 .hill - oke
132- giant- aduaruan
133. river - iyi
134. sea- ohinmin
135. valley - iyere
136. desert - ozara
137. forest- egboko
138. bicycle- ikeke
139. bottle - ogo
140. major road- uwaya
141. junction- ebuh
142. sickness -irehun/ emu
143. sickly-okunmun
144.dysentry- zegizegi
145. sweet - neneh/ usuo
146. maracas- isheke
147. cat- ologbo
148. slave- igbon
149. ibiegwa- royal servant
150. servant- odibo
151. omuada- holder of the staff of office
152. groundnut- isawewe
153. cotton - oruru
154. bachelor- ohai
155. spinster- idegbe
156- marriage - mgba.
157. ozegbe - victory
158. ediebo edienwase- staff of native doctors.
159. ofo- ancestor staff.
160. otsun- staff of power.
161 . king , ogiso/ obi /
162. nobore- royal guards .
163. ikpele/ ejije- oba- beads for chiefs.
164.horse- eshin
165. dog - nkite
166. tortoise - okpoikpo/ mbeku
167.rat- ogwo
168. sparrow -elekeleke
169. nail- ise
170. ohi- darkness
171. anger  -ize/ iwe .
172.oda- plenty.
173. odin- deaf
174. iheneden- big.
175. gbamiroko- not true.
176. lies- ero/ ntu./ elenkesi
178. true- nkesi/ ezioku
179.utu-exit

I would want Ogbuefi to verify if what Agbontaen posted is Ika.Only very few words therein defied my understanding as an Edo.If Andre Uweh insists that the above is Igbo they should not stop at Anioma but claim Edo as Igbo also.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 5:55am On Jul 19, 2011
**most of ťĥĕ words have d same meaning as in edo language*
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 8:12am On Jul 19, 2011
I wonder what we are still discussing here,the obi of owa is the custodian of owa history,he has the last say in this matter,and he has consistently said that owa is of NSHI(nri) ancestry,not edo,of course he is aware of some edo minority,but he knows they are not relevant in the grand scheme of things,that my friends is what matters,not what some deluded individual thinks,or are we going to take the rantings of agbotaen over that of his obi?
alj_harem:

Ok now i understand Ika's point of view

Agbotean has been right all this while but we have just fail to listen to him

Andre is also right but i think Agbotean did not understand you

Ika is like an ethnic group that connects the igbos and edo together

Ikas are actually edo people but there language is an igbo dialect

http://www.ikaworld.com/index.php?mod=article&cat=IkaHistoryamp;Tradition&article=207

if so then it is hight time we leave them
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 8:36am On Jul 19, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

<Quote>Ogbuefi 1:
1) What does the name "Owa" mean ?
Owa is derived from "Owa ri onwea" which in our dialect of Igbo means " he has parted ways".This is how the name came about. Owa owns her foundation to three princes from Ute Okpu namely Odogwu, Izomor and Igbegidi.The Ute Okpu and Ute Ogbeje people were founded by  Nri people which we Anioma people call "Nhi"(in Ika dialect) or Nshi(in other Anioma dialect).These people originall settled at Ute Ogbeje but some of them led by Ijue moved westards to found Ute Okpu.During the reign of Oba Ewuare many Anioma clans were invaded by Benin forces and some of them were cajoled to join the imperial Benin army when they refocused their imperial tendencies westwards towards Yorubaland.The sons of Ijue, the founder and first Obi of Ute Okpu were involved in the wars against such towns like Akure and Owo and for many years were engaged in those wars</quote>

Ogbuefi, you are one of the reasons why I left Foreign Affairs section to concentrate in home politics and rebutt the Igbo propaganda machine.

I don't need a 5page history on your response but I need you to pay attention to your falsification of history in the above and answer to the following (1) name the war and the year that Bini fought a war with Akure and Owo or anywhere else in Yorubaland.; (2) who won the war?

Andre Uweh,

Agbotaen repeatedly has said that his people and their land was first settled by Edo people and through the missionary influence (in which oyibo favored the more subordinate Igbo tribe over the insubordinating ones like Edo, Igbo became the "house slave" and was installed the native missioner) that taught church and instructions in Igbo language, the original tongue of the land became a fluid that is now called Ika. Ika peoiple refuse to be Igbo because in their nature they have never been one beside language tutoring and subsequent Igbo settlers from the East. Their nativity is proto-Bini, but even with that admission, their destiny and social evolution had parted with that of Bini years ago to the point now that they are a distinct identity from Bini, connected only through ancient progenitors. Nonetheless, in contemporary society they are a distinct IKA people, forget language influence, forget settlement story, forget names. . . They are not Igbo, period!

You Andre is emophasizing language as a proof of their Igbo root, even after it is established that if Igbo had been more resistant and resilient and not subordinate to oyibo's mission, you never would have been the one instructing christianity and hence your language would have had no presence over the native tongue of the neighboring indigenes.

Leave Ika alone, they are not Igbo. Do you get it at all?

leave them alone?Ijebuman,it is not your job to defend ika(owa),its the job of the obi of owa,and he is not leaving us,he is holding tight,he said he is of nri ancestry,did you hear that? Not ika,not edo,but nri(NSHI) so back off.

As an ijebuman,you should be more concerned about the mud houses that is the norm in ijebuland,what solution do you have to stop that disgrace,this and more should be your concern,not ndiigbo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 8:50am On Jul 19, 2011
Infact the issue here is not whether ika is igbo or not,we have since passed that stage in this thread,ezeagu's post  solved that,the issue here is how ndiigbo should  help anioma to reclaim,igbo communities in edo such as igbanke,ekpon and iru,while retaining oza people in agbor,that is the issue.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 12:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
for those who like to quote professor owunjeogun, who is from igbuzo, our own owa professors like-
1. professor . o. osaigbovou
2. professor .k. echenim
3. professor eric eboh
4. professor igborgbor
5.professor .p. okoh,
6. dr. r. owabor
7. professor .p. agbontaen
8. justice ehiwarrior
9. prince nduka obaigbena
10. chief dan. agbobu
11. chief ehiobu ihaza
12. hon g. iwerebor
13.chief obiaigwe
and others have helped us define our history .
beyong this , right now in owa kingdom , many owa villages and towns are coming out with their own history , and owa- alero has just published their own book ,their own migration story , like i said before owa is a heterogenous community with people coming from bini, ishan, ukwani, ora, igbo and other places , but over time and with the comig of the first king of owa , odogun , owa became united into one entity called owa kingdom and we are ikas , our language is a mix of igbo and edo , we know words that came from igbo and we those that came from edo . and ika language is slightly different from area to area , we have western, central and eastern ika ( igbodo and ekwuoma are eastern ika people.
what i wrote is ika language as spoken by my community in owa kingdom, i am not from igbodo , igbodo is 30 miles from owa .let me continue.
180. armlet - egba
181- complete blessing -egbai
182. blessing - nobor / ngozi
183. fornication- aghere
184.lazy- lanzuzun
185. greedy- osian
186. thank - ikpamin
187- greet -ekele
188. novice or not learned- ogberi
189. love- iboh
190. hate - arigho
191. bend - hie
192. bind- ken egbun
193. blindfold nwanrofin
194. coffin - ekpeti orinmi
195. spoil- wiwi
196.cassava -mmanaka/ akpun
197. catch - kwondon
198. let go - bihia
199. cemetary - ikpekpe
200. necromancy- iman ihian
201. repent /turn around- gbehuto
202. stick - iza
203. outside the house- isere
204. confusion- nkikon
205. trouble -ukpokpo
206. evil thing - idoboro
207. visitors- otumunyen
208. neigbbours- edogbo
209. hand - eka
210- mouth- onun
211. witch- ogbpme
212. coven- ubom
213. wealth- efe
214- rich man - odafe
215. rich woman - oriuwe
216.dissappear- henren
217. elephant- enyin
218.empty- ufori
219. evidence- eri
220 , to bear witness- oshia-eri
221. evil- asua
223. friend - osi/ owu
234. poor -eson
235. spit - eson
236. forgive -gbahari.
237. respect- ogho
238.lucky- ewere
239. free- ofe
240. gentle- tudon
241. glutton- okpomowo
242. hang -konmen
243. harlot- ejedu
244. hide - wari
245. hunchback- ologumaza
246. hunting - izemkpa
247. husband. -di
248. idle- mmaka
249. idleman- efere
250. ignore- ohanemu
251. answer -hanemu./ za
252. ancient - edei
253. kerosene- minrin-ukpe
254. elcetric- ukpe ebo
255. oil lamp- ukpe ofingbon
256. leave- lato
257. light- ifonron
258. little - ekere
259. lizard -ngwenren
260. mat- ute
261. melon- iroroh
262. mud- otobo
263. mercy - ominken
264. quit- vun
265- name- efan
266. nasty - eti
267. needle- oloden
268. rub ones body - rira
269. ovation - owuwe
269. uwe- good things of life .
270. pain or painful - eron
271. pant- ogodo
272. road path- ozue
273. plain land -aradan
274. plantain- ogede
275. prayer - ekpere
276. worship- rua / irua
278. prodigal - oseka
279. idiot- ozuor / ewobi
280. quick - ejijeh
281. protect- gbodon
282. remember- yahan
283. red- ododo
284- please or i beg- dodoo
285. rock - okute
286. alter - ukwute
287. run - gbama
288. salt - nnu
289. sanctuary - ulohenyen
290. crystal- ikpade
291. smart- asara
292. snake - agwo
293. trap - ogah/ nkinton
294. swamp- ikpotor
295. tray- unyegbe
296. virgin -oyiyi
297. okoh - first male prince
298. okoro- man
299. original - ketiketi
300. pillar- adansun
301. foundation - iyetor
302 . wicked- efosi
303. circular/round- orogodo
304. stand- wuzo
305.think deep - romi
306. ungrateful - ogodon
307- presence- idenyan
308. taste- danmin
309. profit- erere
310- tree- osisi
311- tree branches- agalaba
312. unripe fruit - ukutuba
313. fruit- obobo
314. okporo- cave
315. overlook- legbe
316. build- gbemen
317. frigthen- jusohi
318. fear - uhue
319. rebuke - bigbo
320. key - isafin/ isanhan
321. long time- gbegbegbe
322. nothing - kaka
323. right now - kikeni
324.numerous- barahi
325. vessel - ayogbe
326. proud- honron
327. grass- irurue
328. next year - akan ile
329. gossip- oghele
330. late or lateness- mbie /bie
331. refuse dump- ikponfin
332. congregational greetings - isheguari
333. come / coming- lala / lalani

then this are some things you have to also know about ika as it is spoken in owa .
1. this - hunni or owan
2. why - kihain
3. what- kini or ki
4. what is it ? kiro
5. here- ebeni
6. those- ndihun
7. . which - elehun
8. look/looking- le and laghani
9. me , me or mmen
10. i am the one - me ro
i will write more later, those whose interest is to claim ika territory, will meet a brick wall , and ika is for ika people and the vast majority of ika people will never be igbo, or have you not learnt from civil war mistakes , whoever want to be igbo should be igbo , but like i have always said owa people are not igbo and we are ika .people of anioma or delta north are not under slavery , it is not all of us that are suffering from this civil war mentality of some towns in delta north . most people comenting are not even from delta state and so they do not understand the politics that is playing out in our state, i think most south eastern people should concern themselves to how they will get one more state in the south east and how to stop the different problems plaging their area and they should do more research into their history , than to be dabbling into other peoples history,
delta is a new state with 5 major ethnicity - uhrobho, itsekiri, ijaw,isoko and anioma . it is the uhrobo that have ruled for 8 years plus one under ibru , making about nine years , itsekiri has just done 4 years ,and is starting another journey , what about ijaws ,and isoko have they ruled ? the answer is no , infact the delta north people have held many powerful positions in the state , that includes two deputy governors, secretary, commissioners, chairman of boards, and other positions ,
it will be instructive to say that no ijaw, isoko, itsekiri have been deputy before , so why all the cries for delta especially from igbo people accross the niger ? or do you wan to cry more than the injured ?
in fact , i forgot , an ika man was former acting governor of the state for 90 days .
1. governor of delta- uduaghan- itsekiri
2. speaker - ochei from onitcha olona -anioma
3. chief of staff- DR , okunbor - from ute-okpu -ika- anioma
4. accountant- general of delta state- mr. agbele- ute-okpu -ika- anioma
5. commissioner - kingsley emu- owa- alizomor- owa kingdom- anioma
6. members of house martins okonta former speaker abavo kingdom-ika, prince obi from ute , also former speaker / former acting governor, and others from ukwani, oshimili, and aniocha in the house .
7. house of reps abuja - for ika we have a person from igbodo, elumelu, and others.
8. we also have chief ifeanyi okowa from owa alero- owa kingdom as a senator , as the highest ranked politician from delta north ,and echegile from owa alero who is an ambassador and others , are they not in powerful position ? so who is enslaving them ?
if they claim , it is uhrobo people that is enslaving them , why did they vote massively for great ogboru ? and uhrobo person ?
i dont think the ika people have any business with crying maginalisation , what is needed is for delta north politicians and people to work together and help build their area.
even if anioma state is created , there will still be cries of maginalisation, as the four ethnic component that makes up delta north or anioma , know their origin and will also tend to be mindful of that . even in ika land there is also a cry of maginalisation as the eastern ika communities are saying that owa people and owa / ute are maginalising them .

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2011
owa founders from benin ,plus migrants from nri in igboland through ute okpu migration.we are ika people , and for those people saying that owa king is a custodian of nri culture , that is very funny as our king is a custodian of ika culture , but we know there are nri and edo influence in it , but to tell you the truth owa culture has more edo input .but like i said , i challenge any person who knows owa culture here to tell me specifically what the nri culture in owa is and what the bini culture is ?
let me take you through a course in owa culture , which i am very proud of -
1. kingship in owa , our ancient word and concept of kingship was ogiso , that is why till today old men and women in owa call our obi ,by the word ogiso.
2. obiship in owa is taken from the benin concept of kingship(obaship), the obi of owa is regarded as second to oselobue ,he is an absolute monarch whose words in ancient times was final, he had power of life and death.
3. our chiefthancy or ohaime (ship) is in three levels , the village, town and palace chiefs going under titles like ihama, ihaza, esama, ojekpolor, obakpolor, uwangue, ologboshere, iyase, elewu, obayangbon, obazenu, urokonogbe, isekhure, osague, inenigun,and other titles which i will later publish, this are bini titles ,/
4. we also have igbo titles like ogifurueze, odabameze,obiwenali and others that of igbo lines, but the igbo titles in owa are very little and less important , as the ones derived from benin are more ancient and powerful in owa.
5. the dressing of our kings and chief follow benin lines , using the ada and the ebenren,and beads .
6. the igbo ceremonies found and practiced in owa are ikenga, and ifejuku and ofo
7. while our obi , performs uje dance, igue festival, ikaba, olokun ,ohunweeden , which comes from benin.
8. osiezi festival , which is purely an ika festival founded by my ancestors.
9. the worship of ehi is a bini , practice still done in owa today.
10. owa is divided into ebon( umun), idumu and ogbe- which is family, village and town
11. in olden days our fathers / mothers had a facial and body mark called igu, performed by an owina , with ebeke osigu.
12. when prasing the obi of owa ,this are some of his appellations
1. agbogidi iyare,
2. ogiso iyare,
3. ojenebo iyare,
4. agwo ekirika iyare,
5. obi ni tor ne fe , ise

13. our greetings are
1. laire is still a greeting eholor nire in benin and ogiamen
2. laiweze- is from those of iyase clan in benin
3. greeting while eating is kada
4. after meal greeting is lakpoma
5. for respectable older women is obori

14. our four week days is from igbo or nri
1. eken
2. orie
3. nkwo
4. afor , please do not mind the other which i wrote them.

15. all our obis have had benin names ,
1. odogun
2. igbedigi
3. ewuare
4. orhogbua
5. okundaiye,
6. igbeoba
7. iseh
8.obaigbena
9. ewodo
10. eworh
11. the present king is efeizomor ,
please forgive the list , there are still more obis and this is not the order they ruled .
as for the second obi of owa , obi igbedigi ( this are some of his children- omigie, osunhon, ovwiagbon, ugbebor, ojezua, omo, buzugbe , omoroje , okpeaye , , my family are of the omigie lineage , this are surely bini names .

15. no owa person has denied that there was igbo migration in owa , but we also have firm evidence of benin migration and lineage .
16. it is interesting also that when odogun came from ute okpu , he was already schooled in how benin people rule from ute-okpu and the people he met in owa so he adopted a proto-type of benin style of kingship.
17. i can also write an indepth account of how our kings are coronated and buried , they are coronated in an area we call uselu - meaning sacred area in owa -oyibu .
i will rest now to write later . we have done proper research into owa history and not by reading books alone , i am a descendant of kings and princes in owa ,so i am conversant with my towns history as told to me by my father, uncles, chiefs and after careful reading and research .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 1:53pm On Jul 19, 2011
lazy- lanzuzun

this has to be from english or another european language.

too much similarity to be coincidence.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2011
Agbotaen,

Here is the problem you face - language and rituals!

Igbo is going around looking for traces of language and rituals as a drill up to link with Nri. They are claiming you as Igbo clearly from that one angle alone. I am sure there are communities, like Owa that were settled by Ndigbo in those ages but the Igbo language lost to the host community. I don't see Ogbuefi or anyone else going after them and making them Igbo.

I suspect now that they have eyes on you to snatch Owa it will eventually happen. It might take another 50yrs but they will do it unless your own people begin a counterprogramm of your own to become a non-Igbo community. The creation of Anioma will split the Ika commuunity and thereby accelerate your eventual swallow into Igbo. Once that happen they will wipe all traces of Bini/Edo from your language and rituals. You will be Igbofied! Lol!

Its unfortunate that you have also distanced yourself from Edo and declared your independence. So as an independent community you now have to defend yourself independently and not count on Edo support.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tpia5: 2:07pm On Jul 19, 2011
Its unfortunate that you have also distanced yourself from Edo

why is that?

besides, things arent black and white in this manner.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2011
Heeyyy, lol!

Watsup tpia?

I said that for several reasons. Under the current Nigerian context Owa has protection against usurpation. We don't know if that security will be there in 10 or 20yrs. Owa is sitting on a border line of distinctly different cultures and languages - Edo/Igbo - and must be conscious of where its future lies. Saying Ika is independent of Edo and indepedent of Igbo is not enough, they will get swallowed up by one of the two. They have time, beginning now, to start a programme that align them with a choice. They clearly have turned down the Igbo option, then jump on the Edo one and in addition start cleaning up your language and culture to that effect. This is political talk!

Agbotaen is stressing culture and demonstrating the richness of their language and customs, totally unaware of the Igbo political plot. Agbotaen need to bring an Ika man that's strongly ideological and can match them BS for BS! Lol.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 3:04pm On Jul 19, 2011
They can count on Edo moral support for sure. We know the difference between Ika(Eka) and Igbo.No true Ika would like to be labelled `Igbo`, which is a corruption of an uncomplimentary descriptive Edo word.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.