Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,194 members, 7,873,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:19 PM

To Rebuild Or To Replace? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Rebuild Or To Replace? (24297 Views)

Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Rebuild A Honda Accord 1999 V6 Rack And Pinion Steering Gear / Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by darmilolah(m): 10:32pm On Aug 12, 2018
oluwaseunla:

50-60k parts and labor inclusive, or just labor charges? Just curious.
As a customer... I am just wishing
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by mayor2013: 10:50pm On Aug 12, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Okay this how it works.

Telephone rings:

Gazzuzz: Hello, this is Oga Gazzuzz.

Customer: How far?

Phone goes silent grin

No seriously.

Customer: I have a 2007 Accord EXL V6 that I need to have the right front drive shaft replaced.

Gazzuzz: We only replace both shafts at the same time. Each shaft is N90,000 and it'll take 5 hours but subject to inspection. We will let you know how long it will take once the car comes in.

Customer: Oklidokli, I will bring it in tomorrow.

Gazzuzz: Hoists car up, sees Ikorodu mud of life, sees welded ball joints, welded nuts, etc

Gazzuzz: I just realized that we will be closed from today for 3 weeks..

No, seriously.

Gazzuzz: Based on what we've seen during the inspection we will need to charge an additional 5 hours of work plus the following parts to make this repair.

End of story.

grin
And finally the last word would be

Customer: can't you do this job for free. It's a small task. How can you charge me a 5hr extra labour.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 12, 2018
mayor2013:

grin
And finally the last word would be

Customer: can't you do this job for free. It's a small task. How can you charge me a 5hr extra labour.

No, that is not the final word.

It's how you're dressed that a market woman will approach you to hold her dirty goat while she ties her wrapper.

You court those that can afford your services.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 3:45am On Aug 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

yes oh, I wasn't around..... unfortunately....

and I need a free soft copy....

but so what u r implying is we need another special "book" for Nigeria markets?

when aunty radu has started already with the Yankee book?

no one is fighting anything, those around lekki, ikoyi and Co still use elizade, Toyota, Kia and the likes for service.... aunty radu is still more affordable that. those guys.

we are only engaging in critical reasoning to expose all potential loopholes and forestall a crying baby and crying mummy nothing more.

from what I have gathered sef, aunty radu is well prepared but the target is still a Lil off aim!

as for the book, me sef I don't think I want to be shown any book..... well that's just me.....

Fair enough
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by oluwaseunla(m): 5:36am On Aug 13, 2018
darmilolah:

As a customer... I am just wishing

grin cheesy grin. Now I gerrit.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 5:48am On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

Easy. There are specified hours in Auto shop software that dictate how long every single job on a car should take. Every dealer has it even if they choose to ignore it. It is referred to as the "book". If the "book" says 20 hours and you take 40 hours, you can only collect 20 hours.

Conversely, if the "book" says 20 hours and you are really good and take 16, you still get paid 20 hours. That's why our shops do so well. We consistently over-perform the "book".

The book is how mechanics get paid in the usa so if they work 40 hours but only book 30, they get paid for 30. Someone like my husband consistently booked 90 hours a week working 40 when he was with other companies. No mechanic worth his salt EVER agrees to salary in the USA. If they do, RUN.

The book bases time on a "good " or "b" technician not even an "a" so there is no reason why techs should be going over the allotted time consistently. If a tech can't beat book time without making mistakes, they can't work for us.

The most popular book is Alldata, followed by Mitchell. There are others of course but the are all pretty much the same as far as labor hours.

Egun.mogaji, Auto.ElectNG and some others can confirm this.

Does anyone recall ever seeing the below (picture)?

Is not quite 30 days, is it? This https://www.nairaland.com/4672565/how-much-should-expect-pay? is prove that the rules of this business are about to be rewritten...

Innovate or die they said...guess it is coming down to the realm of automotive servicing

Is there any Nigerian dealer or authorized representative that you know that has 10 lifts?

Maybe there is...I don't visit dealer shops though.

That said...my fees are project based not book value based...though I know about the so-called books.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:43am On Aug 13, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Does anyone recall ever seeing the below (picture)?

Is not quite 30 days, is it? This https://www.nairaland.com/4672565/how-much-should-expect-pay? is prove that the rules of this business are about to be rewritten...

Innovate or die they said...guess it is coming down to the realm of automotive servicing

Is there any Nigerian dealer or authorized representative that you know that has 10 lifts?

Maybe there is...I don't visit dealer shops though.

That said...my fees are project based not book value based...though I know about the so-called books.

You take on some projects that are hard to book so just like Egunmogaji as long as you're transparent, nothing wrong with project based.

Hey, how'd you get your tagline to be blue?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

You take on some projects that are hard to book so just like Egunmogaji as long as you're transparent, nothing wrong with project based.

Hey, how'd you get your tagline to be blue?

6 months/12,000 miles Warranty on our Repairs
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 9:06am On Aug 13, 2018
AutoElectNG:

6 months/12,000 miles Warranty on our Repairs

Duh! Thanks!

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Kashif(m): 9:23am On Aug 13, 2018
Rebuilds are not charged by the 'books' though, because it is non-standard job.

Personally, I see the job hours on those 'books' as bloated. For instance, you can see a VB R&R at 7hrs! shocked shocked It is highly improbable that the job wont get finished within allocated time.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 9:42am On Aug 13, 2018
Kashif:
Rebuilds are not charged by the 'books' though, because it is non-standard job.

Personally, I see the job hours on those 'books' as bloated. For instance, you can see a VB R&R at 7hrs! shocked shocked It is highly improbable that the job wont get finished within allocated time.

Yeah.. technically not but the cost of an R&R provides a guideline. They may seem bloated because they are usually based on B techs not A techs. The more reason why there is no excuse for coming in over time.

The insurance hours are a LOT lower for the same jobs.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:38am On Aug 13, 2018
so the book ain't worth..... in naija.....

well, it's not yet time to say I.... you..

I might even get that same response....... I'd just bow my head in admiration and sing ijebu songs to soothe my nerves
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 10:39pm On Aug 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

so the book ain't worth..... in naija.....

well, it's not yet time to say I.... you..

I might even get that same response....... I'd just bow my head in admiration and sing ijebu songs to soothe my nerves

Yes it is. They're the same cars with the same work. Why wouldn't it be? It will soon be the norm, watch.

He's talking about blue value book not labor book. We need a blue book for Naija's unique used car values grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by uwemjack(m): 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2018
So my steering rack started leaking and got worse over time, I had to be topping up the power steering fluid every other week. Searched online for a new rack and the cost of shipping it in was not encouraging so I bought a replacement "Tokunbo" in ladipo and mechanic installed it, after 2 weeks it started leaking again took it to the seller and it was replaced with another "Tokunbo" with guarantee had it installed. Now I have paid twice for labour.
Went online and procured the rebuild kit from ebay and it arrived 15 days later. so I dismantled the original rack that came with the car to replace the o-ring, seals and "borris". I could not remove one of the borris so I took it to a mechanics workshop for them to use their tools to remove it, and the chief mechanic told me that it's better to replace the whole rack than rebuild and that they can't remove it (they actually tried to remove it in my presence). Took it back home and went to YouTube and finally got the borris removed. Then I cleaned and replace everything that was in the kit and coupled back the rack.
3 weeks exactly after rebuilding the steering rack, the rack in the car started leaking! So the second Tokunbo rack lasted for roughly 2 months!
So I reinstalled the original rebuilt steering rack! And 3 years down the line the it has not leaked.

To me rebuild is better than replace, but our mechanics don't follow due process as their work area is always dirty, sand and other parts are reintroduced into the rebuilt part which contributes to their early failure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2018
uwemjack:
So my steering rack started leaking and got worse over time, I had to be topping up the power steering fluid every other week. Searched online for a new rack and the cost of shipping it in was not encouraging so I bought a replacement "Tokunbo" in ladipo and mechanic installed it, after 2 weeks it started leaking again took it to the seller and it was replaced with another "Tokunbo" with guarantee had it installed. Now I have paid twice for labour.
Went online and procured the rebuild kit from ebay and it arrived 15 days later. so I dismantled the original rack that came with the car to replace the o-ring, seals and "borris". I could not remove one of the borris so I took it to a mechanics workshop for them to use their tools to remove it, and the chief mechanic told me that it's better to replace the whole rack than rebuild and that they can't remove it (they actually tried to remove it in my presence). Took it back home and went to YouTube and finally got the borris removed. Then I cleaned and replace everything that was in the kit and coupled back the rack.
3 weeks exactly after rebuilding the steering rack, the rack in the car started leaking! So the second Tokunbo rack lasted for roughly 2 months!
So I reinstalled the original rebuilt steering rack! And 3 years down the line the it has not leaked.

To me rebuild is better than replace, but our mechanics don't follow due process as their work area is always dirty, sand and other parts are reintroduced into the rebuilt part which contributes to their early failure.

Rebuild gang honorable member...3 years!

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 8:53pm On Aug 14, 2018
uwemjack:

What car was this?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by uwemjack(m): 10:45pm On Aug 14, 2018
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by uwemjack(m): 10:47pm On Aug 14, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Rebuild gang honorable member...3 years!

Yes sir
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 11:51pm On Aug 14, 2018
uwemjack:

https://www.nairaland.com/3071416/pimping-1998-camry

Interestingly..and i was here thinking only Hondas have power steering problems grin grin grin

Cc Futo
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 6:59am On Aug 15, 2018
uwemjack:

This makes me feel so validated. Thing is a lot of people in Naija would rather go through that rigamarole than just have it done in a simple manner apparently.

You get what you pay for. It's either bite the bullet or death by a thousand paper cuts.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Hexilon: 9:14am On Aug 15, 2018
Weeks back, I inquired for price of a 1MZ engine with VVTi for a Toyota Avalon in the cartalk chatroom and received a mention asking "Why am replacing engine?"

Prior to my enquiry, car was idling roughly and overheating after every 10 - 30km drive, my technician dismantled engine, replaced parts (bearings, 2 pistons and other stuffs) , bill was about 90-110k.
2weeks later car overheated, crankshaft knocked, in fact bad bad things happened.

Conclusion:
Grade A Japan engine 270k
Borale I heard is between 110 - 160k .

If na you, you go rebuild or replace ??

Modified
I nearly rebuild the technician face grin grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:37am On Aug 15, 2018
Hexilon:
Weeks back, I inquired for price of a 1MZ engine with VVTi for a Toyota Avalon in the cartalk chatroom and received a mention asking "Why am replacing engine?"

Prior to my enquiry, car was idling roughly and overheating after every 10 - 30km drive, my technician dismantled engine, replaced parts (bearings, 2 pistons and other stuffs) , bill was about 90-110k.
2weeks later car overheated, crankshaft knocked, in fact bad bad things happened.

Conclusion:

Modified

Technician and parts were the problem. Work was not done properly, engine did not breakin before you hit the road.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 10:10am On Aug 15, 2018
Hexilon:

Conclusion:

Modified

If it was us, we would have been responsible for it all and fixed it

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 10:12am On Aug 15, 2018
Score another one for team rebuild... Though technically this one isn't.

2010 BMW 325i brought in from elsewhere not running. Want to take a stab at the problem that had it sitting there all this time? If you've seen our ig, you'll already know

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Piyke: 2:28pm On Aug 15, 2018
radautoworks:
Score another one for team rebuild... Though technically this one isn't.

2010 BMW 325i brought in from elsewhere not running. Want to take a stab at the problem that had it sitting there all this time? If you've seen our ig, you'll already know

I saw this car yesterday when I was at the shop grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by sultaan(m): 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2018
How in the world do you mess up a 2010 engine? That baby is just breaking in at that mileage in this modern cars with proper lube and maintenance
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:43pm On Aug 15, 2018
sultaan:
How in the world do you mess up a 2010 engine? That baby is just breaking in at that mileage in this modern cars with proper lube and maintenance

Me no know undecided
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 5:00am On Aug 16, 2018
radautoworks:

If it was us, we would have been responsible for it all and fixed it

Madam, that's part fo the problem right there.

Inept mechanics, using inferior products and who don't have the gonnards to stand behind their work.

They've now practically convinced this poor poster now the a replacement engine is the only way to go. #Sad
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:28am On Aug 16, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Madam, that's part fo the problem right there.

Inept mechanics, using inferior products and who don't have the gonnards to stand behind their work.

They've now practically convinced this poor poster now the a replacement engine is the only way to go. #Sad

Sadly, it was one of "big boys". Good thing is the owner knows ivoryhouse who gave him better advise.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Readonee35L(m): 8:14am On Aug 16, 2018
sultaan:
Funny.
A 2010 bmw can have mechanical issue even with proper maintenance . Go read complaints of that 5series.

Nigeria na bad black you're surprised of a faulty 2010 car.

How about this 2014 - 2015 evoque's lol.
Their life will never remain the same . Even as this repair is carried out by some of this big shops in nigeria. The cars life will never remain the same.

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:31am On Aug 16, 2018
I love round numbers.

This is a 2006 honda accord 4cyl

Same engine and transmission since manufacture, Runs on full synthetic oil, still drives well.

Question. how long would this engine run before it starts to give signs of wear and tear?

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:56am On Aug 16, 2018
thebigkendo:

Interestingly..and i was here thinking only Hondas have power steering problems grin grin grin

Cc Futo

broda, PS rack na in an accident......

how else do I spell it?

in fact I give up on trying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

The Nuisance Of Splashing Water On Pedestrains During Rain By Car Drivers / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) / The Most Common Problems With Mercedes-benz Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.