Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,190 members, 7,873,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:09 PM

To Rebuild Or To Replace? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Rebuild Or To Replace? (24294 Views)

Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Rebuild A Honda Accord 1999 V6 Rack And Pinion Steering Gear / Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:13am On Aug 16, 2018
radautoworks:
Score another one for team rebuild... Though technically this one isn't.

2010 BMW 325i brought in from elsewhere not running. Want to take a stab at the problem that had it sitting there all this time? If you've seen our ig, you'll already know

to be candid, I am really impressed with ur positivity towards this goal..... I really really hope u grow in strength and integrity.

this issue of engine replacement is a very big issue in Nigeria esp with the fact that those that rebuild are few and lack sense of responsibility.....

but with what u are offering, I think we are ready to think outside our usual confines....

only that ladipo will suffer small
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 9:22am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

to be candid, I am really impressed with ur positivity towards this goal..... I really really hope u grow in strength and integrity.

this issue of engine replacement is a very big issue in Nigeria esp with the fact that those that rebuild are few and lack sense of responsibility.....

but with what u are offering, I think we are ready to think outside our usual confines....

She said she would make guys like you rethink how things are done, I said how, she said give me 30 days....she was right

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:10am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Ladipo will remain unaffected.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 10:15am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

broda, PS rack na in an accident......

how else do I spell it?

in fact I give up on trying

I want to learn.. Please explain how this accident affected the PS rack, the tokunbo rack too was accident?? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 10:21am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

If I hear say Ladipo go suffer
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:33am On Aug 16, 2018
thebigkendo:

I want to learn.. Please explain how this accident affected the PS rack, the tokunbo rack too was accident?? grin grin grin

sorry oh oga, the rack started leaking before the accident that was the reason we were referred to that thread to learn how the PS leak made the owner bash his car
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:42am On Aug 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

She said she would make guys like you rethink how things are done, I said how, she said give me 30 days....she was right

well I am yet to get my hopes as high as the moon but with what I'm seeing..... I think it's not a mirage.....

and she came prepared both in words and deeds
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 11:02am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

well I am yet to get my hopes as high as the moon but with what I'm seeing..... I think it's not a mirage.....

and she came prepared both in words and deeds

When something is drummed up as not recommended consistently it takes a life of it's own e.g., don't buy a Nigerian used car, when we can have bad tokunbo cars, and when we have good Nigerian cars.

In the same way, replace engine mantra has a life of its own.

I meant she succeeded in proving the viability of the alternative mantra rebuild engine, that it is taking on a life of its own is what I call success here.

3 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by uwemjack(m): 11:02am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

sorry oh oga, the rack started leaking before the accident that was the reason we were referred to that thread to learn how the PS leak made the owner bash his car

The steering rack was rebuilt and installed before the accident! The steering rack was not in any way affected by the accident!

thebigkendo:

What car was this?

I posted the link in response to this question
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:05am On Aug 16, 2018
uwemjack:

The steering rack was rebuilt and installed before the accident! The steering rack was not in any way affected by the accident!

I posted the link in response to this question

OK oh

thebigkendo has won..... Toyota PS rack is not so good
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by uwemjack(m): 11:22am On Aug 16, 2018
thebigkendo:

Interestingly..and i was here thinking only Hondas have power steering problems grin grin grin

Cc Futo

Once the seals within the rack fail the steering rack of any car will fail.
if the steering rack boot of any car is compromised, it's just a matter of time before the seals within are compromised and start leaking.
So it is not car specific.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by uwemjack(m): 11:34am On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

OK oh

thebigkendo has won..... Toyota PS rack is not so good

Yes very bad!

Its was rebuilt after 17 years, and its now 20years old and still going strong
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:41am On Aug 16, 2018
uwemjack:

Yes very bad!

Its was rebuilt after 17 years, and its now 20years old and still going strong
waoh.... really bad if u ask me

20yrs+

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 12:32pm On Aug 16, 2018
uwemjack:

Once the seals within the rack fail the steering rack of any car will fail.
if the steering rack boot of any car is compromised, it's just a matter of time before the seals within are compromised and start leaking.
So it is not car specific.

My brother too much sense joor!!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:05pm On Aug 16, 2018
Readonee35L:

Funny.
A 2010 bmw can have mechanical issue even with proper maintenance . Go read complaints of that 5series.

Nigeria na bad black you're surprised of a faulty 2010 car.

How about this 2014 - 2015 evoque's lol.
Their life will never remain the same . Even as this repair is carried out by some of this big shops in nigeria. The cars life will never remain the same.

W.T. Actual F.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:06pm On Aug 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
I love round numbers.

This is a 2006 honda accord 4cyl

Same engine and transmission since manufacture, Runs on full synthetic oil, still drives well.

Question. how long would this engine run before it starts to give signs of wear and tear?

300,000 miles at least under those conditions
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:11pm On Aug 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Ladipo will be just fine. Market still plenty for borale cheesy
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2018
has my vote,you got zero mileage parts, that gladdens your heart. When an engine is rebuilt, all of a sudden you have an Engine that's going to do another 100k miles no shaking.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
radautoworks:

300,000 miles at least under those conditions

meaning if I buy a used engine under 100,000 miles I have about 200,000 miles of happiness left grin

Now the big question

how many Nigerians can cover 200,000 miles on ownership of 1 particular vehicle?

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 7:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

meaning if I buy a used engine under 100,000 miles I have about 200,000 miles of happiness left grin

Now the big question

how many Nigerians can cover 200,000 miles on ownership of 1 particular vehicle?

Imogine!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:23pm On Aug 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Now the big question

Partially incorrect IMO. The car you can find yes and have that kind of usage left. But to find the engine alone in that condition in the used market? What would be the reason for removing the engine for sale alone? Unless there was a collision that totalled the car, in which case the engine would most likely no longer be in the same condition.

You're most likely not going to find the engine from that car in the used engine market. Not even close.

Now about the second part, none with 20w50 grin

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:10pm On Aug 16, 2018
Question for the house.

If the costs were like this, which would you do?
ENGINE SWAP BY NAIJA SHOP
Used Ladipo engine N150k
Labor (10 hrs) N50,000

Or

ENGINE REBUILD BY RAD AUTO WORKS
US Parts N 109,500
Labor (19hrs) N95,000
1 year warranty parts and labor

Which would you do?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by timifakay(m): 11:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
radautoworks:
Question for the house.

ENGINE SWAP
Used engine N150k
Labor (10 hrs) N50,000

Or

ENGINE REBUILD
Parts N 109,500
Labor (19hrs) N95,000

Which would you do?

If all parts for either options are being sourced for in Nigerian open market (eg Ladipo) engine swap is the way to go.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 12:33am On Aug 17, 2018
timifakay:

If all parts for either options are being sourced for in Nigerian open market (eg Ladipo) engine swap is the way to go.

Post clarified
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:40am On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:
Question for the house.

ENGINE SWAP
Used Ladipo engine N150k
Labor (10 hrs) N50,000

Or

ENGINE REBUILD
US Parts N 109,500
Labor (19hrs) N95,000

Which would you do?

how bad is my engine? Would you need to cut the crankshaft to a new size? Would you need to re-bore the cylinder walls?

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:50am On Aug 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

how bad is my engine? Would you need to cut the crankshaft to a new size? Would you need to re-bore the cylinder walls?

Assume all that is built into pricing

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:58am On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:

Assume all that is built into pricing

If all that is required, I will rather get a mildly used engine which is still within specification.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Inception(m): 9:17am On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:
Question for the house.

ENGINE SWAP
Used Ladipo engine N150k
Labor (10 hrs) N50,000

Or

ENGINE REBUILD
US Parts N 109,500
Labor (19hrs) N95,000

Which would you do?

For the 2nd option , the tools used and specifications religiously followed is key: Torqueing, cylinder bore measurements, crankshaft journal measurements, top cylinder valve shims/ rocker am tappets measurements, Cylinder head bolts torqueing sequence( torque to yield?) Checking for ovality in cylinder walls ( for engines plagued with piston slap) which might require reboring of cylinder, piston ring installation sequence on piston etc etc ... The wahala and the variables considering the clime we are in too much abeg( imagine when reboring is required, where can it be done with peace of mind in Nigeria using the right tools?)

Na to just jejely replace with Japan grade engine jejely to avoid installing a CPR kit in my car abeg grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:43am On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:
Question for the house.

ENGINE SWAP
Used Ladipo engine N150k
Labor (10 hrs) N50,000

Or

ENGINE REBUILD
US Parts N 109,500
Labor (19hrs) N95,000

Which would you do?

engine swap? first grade, direct fit and measurements from the factory.....assurance from quality assurance officers ...... and time efficient.

rebuild? only if I get a 1yr warranty.... that in event of any failure I get 70percent of my money back....

I don't mean warranty that will involve another rebuild oh..... then technicalities will come into play..... oil and filter etc that client must bear plus the time it will take for another rebuild ..... abeg.... mbok... I will be needing my money back.

the 30 percent forgone is the usage of the engine in terms of service usage before the catastrophe.

one thing is this, a well seasoned mechanic knows a good engine when he analyses it. it's this simple.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by diportivo: 9:54am On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:
Question for the house.

ENGINE SWAP
Used Ladipo engine N150k
Labor (10 hrs) N50,000

Or

ENGINE REBUILD
US Parts N 109,500
Labor (19hrs) N95,000

Which would you do?

sell the old engine to offset most of the labour charge...ofcos kazeem won't even charge 50k

we have a winner already grin grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:16am On Aug 17, 2018
diportivo:

sell the old engine to offset most of the labour charge...ofcos kazeem won't even charge 50k

baba u needn't go brutal on mama na.....

OK lemme say this for her.

40 percent discount for the rebuild labour charge.

now will u reconsider? and also a free lunch to top it? Jamaican or Chinese... ur preference!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 10:50am On Aug 17, 2018
diportivo:

Ladipo things....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

The Nuisance Of Splashing Water On Pedestrains During Rain By Car Drivers / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) / The Most Common Problems With Mercedes-benz Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.