Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,507 members, 7,885,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 01:11 AM

What Would You Do In Situation Like This? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Would You Do In Situation Like This? (2276 Views)

Guys Have You Ever Found Yourself In Situation Like This? Share Experience / Ladies How Do You React In A Situation Like This? / If You Were In Situation What Would You Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by bettyobie: 11:23am On Feb 13, 2011
Hello everybody!
First,I want to apologize I am not a nigerian and write here,but I think you guys,can help me or at least give me an advice,
Here is the difficult situation:
I have a serious relationship with a nigerian guy and we are in England now (he is working here).We love each other very much and he means the world for me.We are together for a year and was about to live together (we are currently living in different cities and travel and spend weeks together).Everything was perfect between us,until he told his family in Nigeria about me, And,unfortunately they said "no".They told him,they don't wanna him to have anything in common with a white girl.They don't accept me as a white girl.And they don't wanna talk with him at all.But they don't know such a pain it is for us, to break up, So now he has to choice between me and his family, Hard decision for both of us, We really love each other and I will do everything for him,without any doubts,
So guys,do you have any advices for me?? I know all about cultural difference,but I love your country and culture and respect it,
Hope things to change!!!

Need your help and knowledge,

God bless you all!!!
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by ragdollz: 11:43am On Feb 13, 2011
I'm sorry to say this @betty but you need to break it off. Nigerian men are very attached to "family" and though in the beginning he might stick up for you - but soon, I assure you, family ties will get in the way. Unless u guys are 100% able to stand on your own, then just walk away cos this family issue will always be a strain on the love affair.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by MaJBlige(f): 11:53am On Feb 13, 2011
Betty

If he loves you- he will chose you and stay with you. It will take time for his family to change their mind, but they will eventually change.

Give it a go - ok?
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by bettyobie: 11:58am On Feb 13, 2011
Thankyou so much ,for the replies,
Really hope things to change, I know he cannot live without his family,but it's just too hard to break up,
I give him time to decide,I am not in a hurry,just wanna be with him,
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Beync(f): 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2011
@Op, if i may ask, what are his opinion and reactions like towards this trend? is ur bond so strong  that u think  nothing wud saperate both of u. also knowing the foundation of ur relationship wil also help to determine wether the relationship wil suvive irresptive of any opposition.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by bettyobie: 12:05pm On Feb 13, 2011
He doesn't know what to do, He is suffering because he said "no" to his family,but now they don't talk with him and he is very sad and upset,
We are both very confused, it's not easy, Family support is important in a relationship,
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 12:05pm On Feb 13, 2011
@Betty

do you live in exeter

is your man yoruba!

anyway to your question, you have done your part
its left for him to defend you and make his family accept you
or you simply take away there are tons of other nigerian guys out there like ragdollz  angry angry
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by bettyobie: 12:09pm On Feb 13, 2011
@ 190, No, He lives in London,I live in Birmingham.
Well,the decision is his own.just cannot stay there and doing nothing,feeling I am losing him.
Very sad.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 12:10pm On Feb 13, 2011
betty obie:

@ 190, No, He lives in London,I live in Birmingham.
Well,the decision is his own.just cannot stay there and doing nothing,feeling I am losing him.
Very sad.
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by MaJBlige(f): 12:11pm On Feb 13, 2011
Betty

Do not respond to every post. Some dont wish you well.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 12:14pm On Feb 13, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Betty

Do not respond to every post. Some dont wish you well.

and who doesn't here,
Are you referring to ragdollz
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 12:17pm On Feb 13, 2011
betty obie:

He doesn't know what to do, He is suffering because he said "no" to his family,but now they don't talk with him and he is very sad and upset,
We are both very confused, it's not easy, Family support is important in a relationship,

if they are that sturborn
then its obvious they want him getting married to a black lady

if he has a mother then she is the instrument behind this,why dont
you try winning their hearts for a start,send gifts home,call the woman and
talk to her [ assuring her the son's heart is in safe hands ]
i bet this family is yoruba they tend to think this way [ no offence to the yoruba's ]
[s]Thank Gawd my family are civilized not to choose for us[/s]
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Beync(f): 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2011
betty obie:

It's a very sad situation u people r passing thru, while some families wud not give a damn, some families cud be headstrong. all the same u guys just take it easy, calcm down and maybe try to still work things out. also with time, ur friend will be convinced betwen choosing u or his family. the guy's families are human beins and r bound to change time will tell for nw.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by orbaxy(m): 12:32pm On Feb 13, 2011
@190
you're so naive!!
OP
I guess your effort shouldnt be in weeping but in making efforts to win his family admiration. If he has sisters, you can score a point on them. call them, make friends with them. Thats a start.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2011
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Feb 13, 2011
^^ How are we so sure that it is not another way of him wanting to quit the relationship?

CC this is not the first time issues like this arise, alot of our men do this alot
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 13, 2011
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 12:46pm On Feb 13, 2011
chaircover:

I am sorry but it has nothing to do with civillisation and though many of us lke to be politically correct & say that it doesnt matter, how many of us will feel 100% comfortable if our kids brought home somone who practised a different religion, spoke a different language or has a totaly different culture/background etc.

While the young couple is happily in love & thinking of today, the oldies in the family are thinking forward &  know that marriage is hardwork on both sides and there is added pressure involved when the couple have to cross the bridges of culture, language, religion etc.

Yes many of these marriages have lasted the test of time but a whole heap more didnt and I can understand why the posters boyfriends family are a bit edgy.

In this modern day age,
I cant believe you would say that, yes marriage is more about commitment and hardwork
but cos shes white and has a different upbringing doesnt necessarily mean that such marriage wont work
most of our pre-colonial parents back home have this thoughts that the white woman lives a care-free live { kinda truth but not completely true }
but what they completely seem to have forgotten that this is their son's happiness they are talking about here,
Im gonna be a parent tomorrow and i can never choose for my son who to marry {NEVER} i wont even prefer him to marry a Nigerian lady sef  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

In this scenerio the guy and this lady aint at fault,the fault is 100% completely from his parents that's why i earlier adviced her to tell her man to fight his family on his behalf,i am so strong headed and would never bend to anything i feel is WRONG ,if i find myself in this scenerio i would personally take her down to nigeria and live under the same roof with my parents and dare them to do their worst

This is his life we are talking about here
all cos of skin color one cant enjoy the fruits of LOVE

TO HELL  undecided undecided !! angry angry angry
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Odunnu: 12:51pm On Feb 13, 2011
Be Alert poster! Dont fall victim to poster(s) who may want to 'meet' you over drinks to 'help you'.
About your post, how prayerful are you? Get on your knees! You should also make friends with his friends, get to find a way of being friends with a respected member of his family and see how things work in your favor. Africans are by culture so into family so its a very sensitive issue for your bf
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2011
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 13, 2011
chaircover:

Jenny LOL it did cross my mind.

I mean what is the advantage of telling her such bad news, fully knowing that there is absolutely nothing that she can do about it

Someone I know went out with thig girl for 3 years. He went to Nigeria and came back and told the girl that him mum told him that he cant marry a Zimbabean girl. The relationship broke up and he was married to a Nigerian Girl not long after.
In my heart of hearts I know that he just wanted an excuse to shift the girl out of his life without any drama

LOL, ofcourse that is what they do, I heard alot of stories too when I was living in Europe. Look at me thinking it all ended there ,just for me to see with my two eyes and hear with my two big ears that one nigerian guy I know just left his white GF with the same "my family is not support of the relationship" line, the dude is marrying a nigerian and is travelling down to nigeria for his trad and wedding this Easter.

190:

this modern day age,

In this scenerio the guy and this lady aint at fault,the fault is 100% completely from his parents that's why i earlier adviced her to tell her man to fight his family on his behalf,i am so strong headed and would never bend to anything i feel is WRONG ,if i find myself in this scenerio i would personally take her down to nigeria and live under the same roof

What an advise, no marriage will stand without the help of inlaws, if this man starts misbehaving when they get married, who will the poster go to? her family that can talk till thy kingdom come and it changes nothing, when you are in good terms with your family and inlaws these people fight for you, they fight to make you happy, if he misbehaves and she reports him to his mother , just one phone call or crying pretense from her will make him sit up and adjust ASAP, you cannot fight the love between a son and his mother undecided

My advise to you whenever you are ready to marry, do not bring your mother down before your GF, else you will live to regret it because that wife of yours is so going to insult and disrespect her, she is so going to give you an ultimatum and tell you to choose btw your mother and herself and she is so going to make that woman's life a mysery when she comes to visit you guys  that you will begin to ask yourself why on earth you married her

190:

if they are that sturborn
then its obvious they want him getting married to a black lady

if he has a mother then she is the instrument behind this,why dont
you try winning their hearts for a start,send gifts home,call the woman and
talk to her [ assuring her the son's heart is in safe hands ]
i bet this family is yoruba they tend to think this way [ no offence to the yoruba's ]
[s]Thank Gawd my family are civilized not to choose for us[/s]

Why are you involving his mother? what did you just type here? ok let me assume you were sleep typing but please open your eyes.

IT IS NOT ALL MOTHERS THAT ARE AGAINST THEIR CHILDREN'S MARRIAGE TO A WHITE.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by MaJBlige(f): 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2011
@Poster

By now you should be thinking - why have you made this post in here.

So many clowns will soon hijack this thread, and by tomorrow when many goes to work and have access to their computers, the thread will go up to 14 pages with most of them fighting each other and even calling you names.

Did you notice the fight and name calling has started?
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 13, 2011
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 1:10pm On Feb 13, 2011
Hmm,

this is interesting
ive always wanted to go head to head with this

Jennykadry!! grin grin

190 vs Jennykadry and chaircover!!
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by orbaxy(m): 1:12pm On Feb 13, 2011
jennykadry:

^^ How are we so sure that it is not another way of him wanting to quit the relationship?

CC this is not the first time issues like this arise, alot of our men do this alot
chaircover:

Jenny LOL it did cross my mind.

I mean what is the advantage of telling her such bad news, fully knowing that there is absolutely nothing that she can do about it

Someone I know went out with thig girl for 3 years. He went to Nigeria and came back and told the girl that him mum told him that he cant marry a Zimbabean girl. The relationship broke up and he was married to a Nigerian Girl not long after.
In my heart of hearts I know that he just wanted an excuse to shift the girl out of his life without any drama

Typical of Nigerian ladies. Regressive ways of thinking.  angry
How will this help the poster??
honestly, i tire for una species.  angry angry
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2011
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by bettyobie: 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2011
Hey guys!
I read absolutely every single word here. . .
The truth is his mother is dead,his father,brothers and sisters are against our relationship.
I still don't know what to do. Your culture is very strict and I know if family says 'no' then nothing can be done.
I am praying all the time and hope GOD will help us.
Just looking for a way to let his family know they are wrong and cause us pain and pain.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by justwise(m): 1:19pm On Feb 13, 2011
190:

Chaircover i bet you are Yoruba
but your idea for defending his parents are illogical and baseless!!
I am a Nigerian and i have seen what Nigerian ladies can do
look @ this Guinea fowl riff rat called odunnu now, do you think i would ever let my son
marry such a lady into my family, GEEZ!!
I have seen serious cases of where families wouldn't want their kids to get married and cos of love
these kids stick in { without their parents blessings or whatever } and these marriages work
as long as there is LOVE { notice its in caps } things are bond to work,
this lady loves this guy here so why cant she have this guy to herself and later we africans would
come out and start shouting RACISM RACISM RACISM angry angry

I don't normal agree with u but in this case i have to, my family can only support my choice of partner or they back off, its my life, my wife.
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 1:20pm On Feb 13, 2011
jennykadry:

What an advise, no marriage will stand without the help of inlaws, if this man starts misbehaving when they get married, who will the poster go to? her family that can talk till thy kingdom come and it changes nothing, when you are in good terms with your family and inlaws these people fight for you, they fight to make you happy, if he misbehaves and she reports him to his mother , just one phone call or crying pretense from her will make him sit up and adjust ASAP, you cannot fight the love between a son and his mother undecided

My advise to you whenever you are ready to marry, do not bring your mother down before your GF, else you will live to regret it because that wife of yours is so going to insult and disrespect her, she is so going to give you an ultimatum and tell you to choose btw your mother and herself and she is so going to make that woman's life a mysery when she comes to visit you guys  that you will begin to ask yourself why on earth you married her

Why are you involving his mother? what did you just type here? ok let me assume you were sleep typing but please open your eyes.

IT IS NOT ALL MOTHERS THAT ARE AGAINST THEIR CHILDREN'S MARRIAGE TO A WHITE.

Jenny I want to ask you a question
Are you simply suggesting that this lady here should LET Go of her man cos
the family turned her down COS SHE HAS A WHITE SKIN!!  angry angry

If you find yourself tomorrow with a white man and his family are against you cos you're black
are you gonna WALK, one thing i have always had is never to give up especially for issues that belongs to the heart
this poster's man is still the middle man in everything and he has to MAKE his FAMILY accept her,

the only missing link here i cant understand is why a family wont want their son to get married to a white lady
at this age ( its completely strange to me ) i still maintain my stand that this white woman should tell her man
to make his family accept her, he needs to go meet his family and discuss this issue directly with them,hear their views and what the problem is
instead of trying to forcefully go through his family with his ass sited here in europe  and as for the lady she too should try gaining the love of his brothers,sister's,uncle's,aunts anybody

there are alot of ways to kill a rat aren't there~
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by justwise(m): 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2011
betty obie:

Hey guys!
I read absolutely every single word here. . .
The truth is his mother is dead,his father,brothers and sisters are against our relationship.
I still don't know what to do. [b]Your culture is very strict and I know if family says 'no' then nothing can be done.[/b]I am praying all the time and hope GOD will help us.
Just looking for a way to let his family know they are wrong and cause us pain and pain.

Actually that is not the whole truth, not all Nigerian culture is like that, maybe in 70s or early 80s but things have changed now, many families are more accommodating of other cultures than b4
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by 190: 1:24pm On Feb 13, 2011
justwise:

[/b] I don't normal agree with u but in this case i have to, my family can only support my choice of partner or they back off, its my life, my wife.

simple  cool cool,

Goosh i cant imagine we Africans complaining that RACISM is everywhere
when we cant simply allow our sons marry their daughter's

No wonder some Africans are far from civilization
Re: What Would You Do In Situation Like This? by justwise(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2011
190:

simple cool cool,

Goosh i cant imagine we Africans complaining that RACISM is everywhere
when we cant simply allow our sons marry their daughter's

No wonder some Africans are far from civilization

Its upto 'us' to move things forward, we need to learn how to say 'no' politely to our families and stand by it, yes it may get rocky at first but they will soften it up with time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

No Need To Cry When Your Boyfriend/girlfriend Says It's Over... / A Lady Raped 4 Six Hourz While Her Bf Watch / Undiluted Love.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.