Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,921 members, 7,890,042 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:14 AM

Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors (9934 Views)

President Jonathan Sack Striking Doctors. / Tinubu Urges Us To Assist Nigeria’s Anti-terrorism War / Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Nobody: 2:30am On Feb 25, 2011
The question I want someone to answer is: Do Nigerian doctors always have to work for the Government? Aren't there other professionals in Nigeria like Lawyers, Estate / Quantity Surveyors, Engineers, Pharmacists Chartered accountants etc who pool resources together and form their own practice through partnerships e.g Udo Udoma & Co or Diya Fatimilehin & Co. or Eneli Kuku & Obiora? Why are doctors insisting on working for the Government and going on strike to force a response.

Why cant doctors pool resources together and start HMOs or world class hospitals? Why do they always want to work for the government?   I want to know if all the doctors that run to the west to practice all exclusively work the governments of those nations or work for private health organizations that they could have formed  back home. Go to India and see who really runs their famed health system. It is by the private initiative and enterprise of their doctors. Our own doctors are vision-less.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by ekubear1: 2:35am On Feb 25, 2011
kalokalo:

The question I want someone to answer is: Do Nigerian doctors always have to work for the Government? Aren't there other professionals in Nigeria like Lawyers, Estate / Quantity Surveyors, Engineers, Pharmacists Chartered accountants etc who pool resources together and form their own practice through partnerships e.g Udo Udoma & Co or Diya Fatimilehin & Co. or Eneli Kuku & Obiora? Why are doctors insisting on working for the Government and going on strike to force a response.

Why cant doctors pool resources together and start HMOs or world class hospitals? Why do they always want to work for the government?   I want to know if all the doctors that run to the west to practice all exclusively work the governments of those nations or work for private health organizations that they could have formed  back home. Go to India and see who really runs their famed health system. It is by the private initiative and enterprise of their doctors. Our own doctors are vision-less.

Something I don't understand either. In the US, government jobs are inferior (for the most part) to the public sector equivalents. This is true on many places in the world, I think. Not sure why Nigeria is different.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 3:31am On Feb 25, 2011
They need some economic power to do that.Moreover after setting up such hospitals it is the same gullible public that will acuse them of charging too much saying ''isn't medicine supposed to be humanitarian''?You should ask those running private hospitals how much they are being owed.Im sure you'd know most doctors in the UK work in the NHS too, that has no bearing on expertise. . . .
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 3:35am On Feb 25, 2011
The Nigerian government isnt the only one employing doctors worldwide, what you should ask yourself is why these problems persist in Nigeria, then you may have answers.It is the myopic view of people wanting good medical service from poorly motivated staff that emboldens the politicians to do as they currently do.
What most people haven't realised however is that the politicians are only doing this in their personal interest.They don't even patronise those govt health facilities.Should fashola sack all the experienced doctors and nurses today, his family( and Tinubu's) will simply go to reddington, leaving the sheep following them to suffer alongsides their famillies.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by gididi: 8:15am On Feb 25, 2011
Pls eko ile advise lagos state govt to dialogue with drs to stop the dying patients.Quoting from lagos state journals will not help the matter. Let Tinubu be out of the game and allow my able Gov. Fashola to continue his good work for the state.
Some posts I read was just funny. They want all the drs to have private clinic in lagos state. The lest any good dr can collect from you to lower down your bp or high sugar level for admission for five days is 200 to 300 thousand naira. I mean good drs. So where do families with 15,000 to 20,000 monthly income fit in . Pls whatever you are writing consider the masses,thats my point. Gradys hospital in Atlanta Ga ,10% Nigerians drs work there and 65% are Nigeria nurses and is a general hospital serving Ga State.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Reference(m): 8:27am On Feb 25, 2011
kalokalo:

From the discourse so far and the incidents in the Nigerian strike scene one thing is clear, there is a direct relationship between economic independence, understanding and strike intensity.

Thus civil servants, lecturers and now doctors appear to have the lowest economic knowledge and weakest survivability.

I have said it countless times, salary increases without commensurate productiity is an exercise in futility. The financial bubbles we try to create around ourselves are subject to economic thorns. Powerful wage increases only lead to vigorous inflation and benefits are temporal, while credibility of the strikers rapidly declines.

The question is when will we have  'change demanding strikes' for accountability, probity, good governance, and not just for naira and kobo. Lagos state government will simply give it with one hand and take it with the other.

Doctors should learn basic economics and enterpreneurship. I have a close relation, a consultant so I know what I'm saying. E & E understanding is pretty poor.

I certainly donot back the government because the corruption and avarice is clear to all but that is exactly what we should attack. I prefer one 'Cairo' encounter than a hundred wage increases.

On the other hand those who compare our wages with those in India, UK and the US are only unrealistic simpletons and should WORK to make this economy like those they envy.

Practically speakng both sides are economic with the truth. I would be hard pressed to find any public doctor who earns what they are saying but 110,000 actually redefines what a doctor means.  
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 8:36am On Feb 25, 2011
@eko ile; am a newly registered NL not some person to u referred to earlier and am a doctor.I will repeat its nt about olaifa bt abt keeping to the terms of agreement made last yr.Goin on strike to get conmess implemented is not  lagos thing alone.Its a national thing even our colleagues in federal institutions are presently on strike because govt has made some deductions from the conmess salaries that was started last yr.
Truth be said and that is these people u call leaders don't use the public hospitals bt the reddingtons,lagoon and co.Am nt saying this to whip up sentiments bt its what i knw except when they are referred from  these hospitals to lasuth/luth and within days they jet out of the country.THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN THE SYSTEM Wwhich is the reason why they do what they do ie refuse to pay Nigerian doctors what they deserve
U all can afford to comment bt its only if u av a cause to be in a near death experience of a close family member/acquintance and see what doctors do that u can afford to appreciate wht we do.
Some of u peeps talk abt taking the initiatives to go and start our individual practise which a good number of doctors are into bt hw many people can afford the bills.U av patients absconding after treatment,begging to have bills reduced etc.
I AM REPEATIN MY WORDS AGAIN THIS AM BY SAYING IF THE LAGOS STATE GOVT CAN PAY JUDICIAL WORKERS WELL ABOVE WHAT THEIR FEDERAL COUNTERPARTS EARN THEN HE SHOULD PAY US WHAT OUR COLLEAGUES IN FEDERAL INSTITUTIONS EARN AND STOP PLAYING THIS MEDIA PROPAGANDA.
CONMESS SCALE for a new doctor is nt 200k as alledged by him.
STOP THE PROPAGANDA AND KEEP TO THE AGREEMENT MADE IN NOV2010.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Delafruita(m): 8:40am On Feb 25, 2011
These doctors are just crazy.holding the entire state to ransome all because of one man who by the way is already contesting for an election and would have resigned anyway.that' sheer lunacy and heartlessness.do you know how many people would give an arm to earn 170000 a month?my mum has been a teacher in a state school for 22years and at level 13 earns little over 60,000.who do this doctors think they are?superhumans?let them go look for job in private or government hospitals.one idiotic post from a supposed doctor(who admits to earning 110,000 a month)complains about her supposed living condition,abeg ask her if there is a special market she goes to because if na the same market wey me and my mama dey go,then craze dey worry am.the problem with doctors is they want to have the affluent life just because they are doctors.is it fashola's fault they can't live woithin their means?you say doctors are essential so should be paid anything they ask,no ne teacher go teach your children?the new minimum wage of 18000 is x10 a junior doctor's old pay and they are still complaining?that's bollocks
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 8:45am On Feb 25, 2011
gididi:

Pls eko ile advise lagos state govt to dialogue with drs to stop the dying patients.Quoting from lagos state journals will not help the matter. Let Tinubu be out of the game and allow my able  Gov.  Fashola to continue his good work for the state.
    Some posts I read was just funny. They want all the drs to have private clinic in lagos state. The lest any good dr can collect from you to lower down your bp or high sugar level for admission for five days is 200 to 300 thousand naira.  I mean good drs. So where do  families with 15,000 to 20,000 monthly income fit in . Pls whatever you are writing consider the masses,thats my point. Gradys hospital in Atlanta Ga ,10% Nigerians  drs work there and 65% are Nigeria nurses and is a general hospital serving  Ga State.

1. It takes 2 to tango. The burden is on the state and the doctors to dialogue and make sacrifices, not just the state.

2. They received their 75% pay raise because the state dialogued with them.

3. The doctors are not the only civil servants in Lagos state.

4. The state's obligation extends beyond inconsiderate doctors and the doctors are not going to build roads, bridges, build hospitals and buy hospital equipments, pay the rest of the state's hundreds of thousands civil servants, pay utilities or take care of tons of other state obligations.

5. Lagos state operates via yearly budget that it can not outspend.

6. it is nothing but madness to say overnight 75% pay increase with free car, housing and health care is not reasonable.

7. It is really unreasonable to say you don't want to hear from the state, but you want the state to dialogue, pay and shut up.

8. You can not dictate to your employer about who to hire or fire

9. We don't have to kiss their a/s/s or be held hostage every time they snap their fingers.

10. In the real world, you look for employment elsewhere if for whatever reason you are not satisfied with your employer.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 8:55am On Feb 25, 2011
Erm, wrong on many counts
they received 1 % pay rise from 74%conmess to 75% conmess
another misinformation by the government.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 8:57am On Feb 25, 2011
@delafruita u are so myopic and i cant exchange words wit u.Is lagos the only state that doctors are on strike to get the conmess scale implemented.What abt the states that agreed to implement it nd that are doin it;are they any richer than lagos.
I repeat 1ce again if judicial workers can be paid well above their counterparts in federal institutions then dont expect doctors to earn less than their federal counterparts.
u can decide to go thru the stress of med schul and commit ur selfish self to it.Doctors allover the world are never in the same pay bracket  with other workers(can always look it up),if u need to know.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 8:58am On Feb 25, 2011
and yes, if the law allows you to dictate to your employer, then you are free to do it.
Come on people, some of you may be justifiably angry with the Doctors but don't let that becloud your judgement.We all know who the real culprits are, the doctors havent told a single lie yet the govt spews them out in dozens in courting public sympathy.Look beneath the surface please.
Politicians are really taking you for a ride.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:00am On Feb 25, 2011
flckr:

@eko ile; am a newly registered NL not some person to u referred to earlier and am a doctor.I will repeat its nt about olaifa bt abt keeping to the terms of agreement made last yr.Goin on strike to get conmess implemented is not  lagos thing alone.Its a national thing even our colleagues in federal institutions are presently on strike because govt has made some deductions from the conmess salaries that was started last yr.
Truth be said and that is these people u call leaders don't use the public hospitals bt the reddingtons,lagoon and co.Am nt saying this to whip up sentiments bt its what i knw except when they are referred from  these hospitals to lasuth/luth and within days they jet out of the country.THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN THE SYSTEM Wwhich is the reason why they do what they do ie refuse to pay Nigerian doctors what they deserve
U all can afford to comment bt its only if u av a cause to be in a near death experience of a close family member/acquintance and see what doctors do that u can afford to appreciate wht we do.
Some of u peeps talk abt taking the initiatives to go and start our individual practise which a good number of doctors are into bt hw many people can afford the bills.U av patients absconding after treatment,begging to have bills reduced etc.
I AM REPEATIN MY WORDS AGAIN THIS AM BY SAYING IF THE LAGOS STATE GOVT CAN PAY JUDICIAL WORKERS WELL ABOVE WHAT THEIR FEDERAL COUNTERPARTS EARN THEN HE SHOULD PAY US WHAT OUR COLLEAGUES IN FEDERAL INSTITUTIONS EARN AND STOP PLAYING THIS MEDIA PROPAGANDA.
CONMESS SCALE for a new doctor is nt 200k as alledged by him.
STOP THE PROPAGANDA AND KEEP TO THE AGREEMENT MADE IN NOV2010.

It doesn't even matter who you are, it's really irrelevant.

Now, you are saying it's not about Olaifa, but the doctors themselves are saying it's about Olaifa. Which is which?

Again, keep yourself up to date about this issue and quit contesting what's already settled.

You also need to know how the state function administratively. An agreement was reached late last year, but the money needed to implement the new pay structure was not part of the 2010 budget and by law, the state can not spend what's not part of the budget.

So, the state approved and entered the new pay structure into the new budget for 2011 just early this month and their paychecks by march should reflect the new pay structure.

People need to follow what's happening on both sides especially administratively on the side of the state before making ill informed statements.

If you really want what the federal government is paying, why not just go work for the federal government?

It's really silly and unreasonable to ask states surviving on statutory allocations to pay what the rich and the mighty federal government is paying. Obviously they don't have federal government kind of money, they don't have excess crude oil accounts to tap money from either,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:06am On Feb 25, 2011
reindeer:

Erm, wrong on many counts
they received 1 % pay rise from 74%conmess to 75% conmess
another misinformation by the government.

120k to 300k and 300k to 700k doesn't sound like 1% to me.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:13am On Feb 25, 2011
I no get ur time.Keep pcking up newspaper threads,na u sabi.If u are not involved u can say what u like.Sack us all now.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:16am On Feb 25, 2011
flckr:

I no get your time.Keep pcking up newspaper threads,na u sabi.If u are not involved u can say what u like.Sack us all now.

What are you talking about? You are not even a doctor.

Personally, I'll fire all of them in a jiffy.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:22am On Feb 25, 2011
You can’t blackmail us, Fashola, Tinubu tell Lagos doctors

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola and his predecessor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, yesterday, vowed that the government will not succumb to blackmail in resolving the lingering industrial action by doctors.

Doctors in the state are fighting for 100 per cent increase in the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS).

The duo spoke at a meeting between the state government and Christian leaders at the the Muson Centre in Onikan.

Fashola said the crisis persists not because the government refused to increase the salary of the doctors but the doctors are insisting on a 100 per cent implementation of their demand.

He said: "The doctors are not complaining about the environment where they work. We have provided a conducive environment, with well equipped facilities for them to work with, but they are insisting that we pay what the Federal Government is paying its doctors. Lagos has more doctors than the federal doctors across the federation.

"We have increased the salary of the doctors by 75 per cent and what that implies is that the most junior doctor in the state today got a raise from N110, 000 to N170, 000 while a consultant got an increase from N300, 000 to N700, 000.

He said as governor, he receives N850,000 monthly, while a member of the State Executive Council does not earn more than N500, 000.’’

He criticised the doctors’ request for the reinstatement of Dr. Ibrahim Olaifa, who was dismissed for violating the rules of his employment.

The governor said the situation was being politicised, as the doctor in question was presently running for a House of Representatives seat on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State.

Tinubu, who chaired the meeting, said the doctors’ position was political.

He recalled that Olaifa was employed during his administration based on the recommendation of the former Governor of Oyo State, Dr. Lam Adesina.

He said: "Those people make me angry, there is no point dialoguing with them again, sack them and recruit other doctors.

‘’We have provided a conducive environment for them to work and yet they are still not satisfied.

‘’[It is not compulsory you work for the state government, if you are not comfortable, you can go to the Federal Government that pays more or other private establishments.

‘’We are not going to reinstate him (Olaifa) because the moment you subject the authority given by the constitution to blackmail, you are finished".

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news-update/28983.html
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:25am On Feb 25, 2011
I am a doctor and i knw evrythn am saying is true.I am presently in my living room cos of u and ur propaganda governor waiting for u people to do what is right.U can as well ask him 2 sack us.   Funny characters lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by evilspirit: 9:26am On Feb 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

120k to 300k and 300k to 700k doesn't sound like 1% to me.
you are big foooooooooooooooool
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:28am On Feb 25, 2011
u ds guy u be clown sha.we are not asking for 100% increase in CONMESS cos we are presently on a CONTISS scale,we are asking for CONMESS Shikena which is a totally different package from CONTISS.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:31am On Feb 25, 2011
u knw the thing abt it.U can dust ur certificate if u av 1,write jamb,gain admission for medicine,graduate and start practising.u ds lousy fellow.Thats aalways the difference between us(doctors) and people like u.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:34am On Feb 25, 2011
U call me a fool,u are the gr8 fool.If am to ask,did u see the 4 walls of a university? were u ever priviledged to get a university education;just don't thnk so.Wetin u study sef b4 i start to dey exchange words wit u.Na u sabi;u and ojuyobo fit sack us nw.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:40am On Feb 25, 2011
evilspirit:

you are big foooooooooooooooool

Takes one to know one of course,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:43am On Feb 25, 2011
flckr:

u ds guy u be clown sha.we are not asking for 100% increase in CONMESS cos we are presently on a CONTISS scale,we are asking for CONMESS Shikena which is a totally different package from CONTISS.

I don't care what you are asking for, take your a/s/s to the federal government and collect your conmess. It's not by force to work for Lagos state.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:44am On Feb 25, 2011
flckr:

I am a doctor and i knw evrythn am saying is true.I am presently in my living room cos of u and your propaganda governor waiting for u people to do what is right.U can as well ask him 2 sack us.   Funny characters lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care where you are sitting, you ain't no doctor,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:49am On Feb 25, 2011
lol. This is why we keep leaving the country.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 9:51am On Feb 25, 2011
flckr:

lol. This is why we keep leaving the country.

Who's we? And who is forcing you to stay?
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 10:07am On Feb 25, 2011
lol ds is wat strike has turned me 2.Anyhw sha continue the castigation of doctors,na u sabi.the strike continues and if u want to knw.Look out for any doctor in lagos state employ,u suppose know 1 doctor or get frnd wey knw doctor nah.Our language is "ON CONMESS WE STAND" At least that will tell u am a doctor.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 10:18am On Feb 25, 2011
flckr:

lol ds is wat strike has turned me 2.Anyhw sha continue the castigation of doctors,na u sabi.the strike continues and if u want to knw.Look out for any doctor in lagos state employ,u suppose know 1 doctor or get frnd wey knw doctor nah.Our language is "ON CONMESS WE STAND" At least that will tell u am a doctor.

I think Fashola just told you to go jump off 3rd mainland with your silly conmess nonsense.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by favouredjb(f): 1:26pm On Feb 25, 2011
Is eko ile AKA babpupa, the comm for information?

so you think the doctors should seek employment elsewhr?

i still wonder why tinubu is talking on behalf of the governor,he should realise his tenure as gov has been over for a long time
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by hercules07: 1:42pm On Feb 25, 2011
Abeg Fashola should go and get doctors from Indian and Pakistan jare, even China, those ones will come for the CONTISS, are we going to spend all of the state's money paying the greedy doctors? Let them go and look for employment elsewhere, doctors that you will not meet on seat, they have PP in other clinics and do misdiagnose.
A doctor earning 200K a month will be very comfortable in Lagos, where are the herbalist jare make man pikin shack some serious agbo. Earning up to 700K a month is armed robber salary, the doctors are just telling us that they are in it for the money, their oath means nothing to them, awon aje lo ju onile.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by mbulela: 1:46pm On Feb 25, 2011
there is so much spin and lies in this debate between both sides.
someone claimed some doctors earn a million naira in govt service??
I hope you are not mistaking armed robbers for doctors?

as long as waste and corruption are evident in the system, strikes will remain the order of the day.
Nobody will believe govt is broke as long as corruption is perceived in the system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fashola Rejects Creation Of Additional States / Fayose Congratulates Wike, Describes Victory As “sweet And Historic” / See The Names Of Prominent People Who Died In Kano Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.