Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,922 members, 7,890,045 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:18 AM

Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors (9935 Views)

President Jonathan Sack Striking Doctors. / Tinubu Urges Us To Assist Nigeria’s Anti-terrorism War / Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 5:39pm On Feb 25, 2011
and you cannot in any way compare Nigeria to Togo or Benin.Compare instead to Botswana, Namibia and make enquiries how much doctors earn there.
See it is okay to be angry with the loss of lives, i just think the anger should be well directed: at those theieving politicians who would rather corner all the money rather than pay and motivate people to work to their best.To whom much is given, much can be expected.Let us start with the giving part,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by hercules07: 5:41pm On Feb 25, 2011
@deer,

The doctor in Ekiti might earn more because his state governor has decided to pay more to doctors, afterall teachers and infrastructure can go to hell, you also need to know that the Ekiti man might earn less but the cost of living is low, so when weighed he is still earning more, Fashola has tried meeting most of their demands (including tax reductions, haba, do you pay less tax than the next man in England?), the one that is grating is the issue of their former chairman, the guy should go to court for reinstatement, I have dragged a former employer to court before and won (stupid employer liquidated the firm and my money was lost), if little me can do that, a guy running for the House of Assembly in Oyo State (why did he not work in Oyo sef, he could prescribe bleaching treatment to oyato governor) should be able to afford lawyers, strike strike everytime, they should try working for themselves, they will hear wen.
The employer reserves the right to sack, the employee reserves the right to drag his employer to court shikena.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by hercules07: 5:44pm On Feb 25, 2011
@deer

We are talking about lagos, the lagos budget per annum is $2billion dollars, that is comparable to Togo and Benin and not those countries you mentioned, if we were debating the amount being paid by the federal government, then we can use other countries, as it is, we are comparing lagos state to those countries, for your info, the salary of a doctor in Ghana as at 2003 was just under $800, I will look for the current figures.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 5:51pm On Feb 25, 2011
reindeer:

What do you mean the market dictates their pay?I have been working in the NHS for the last  6years and i'm at a loss to the meaning of your statement.I worked for Lagos State till i left in anger.The market DOES NOT have anything to do with pay here.

You shouldn't keep an employment where you are not comfortable and you did the right thing by leaving.

Dictating salary scales to employers creates needless problems like the one we are discussing now.

Fingers are not equal and economic situations in with every employer is not the same. You pay what you can afford while doctors are free to seek employment with the best employers either judging by pay, work conditions, environment and comfortability.

It's really pointless and destructive to keep striking and endangering Lagosians because you want the state to bend every time you sneeze or need a kobo more as dictated by your National masters.

The best thing to do is to let the highest bidder and best employer hire the best doctors and pay them what they're worth based on skills, knowledge and services rendered.  

Let your capabilities, skills and qualifications determine what you get paid, you are working against your own interest by confining yourself with salary caps.

What if you're worth way way more than what your national union lobbied for on your behalf, but you've confined yourself to a set rate. It means you're getting short changed.

They need to base their salaries on skills, knowledge and work environment.

And what about the poor state's surviving on meager statutory allocations? Are you going to keep going on strike and jeopardizing their lives because of money that's not even available.

The way I see it, the doctors are very shortsigthed and are foolishly working against their own interests,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 5:57pm On Feb 25, 2011
reindeer:

Come on, it's banded right from your day 1 in the NHS, i know how much i will earn in 7years time and it is related to the prevailing inflation rates, i earn a particular amount above the current inflation rate for every year, even more interesting is that if i work in London(even if its a locum post) i earn what we call the ''london weighting'' which takes into account the cost of living in london as opposed to other parts of the Uk so you earn more than in say Newcastle or Southampton.
Now my friend imagine a doctor in Lagos earning less than the one in Ekiti, doesn't sound right to me.The NHS could have decided to ignore and say ''if you dont like your pay, go to london to work'' but i guess people here value lives and medical skills a lot more than NIgerians do, i just feel really sorry for Lagosians.

The administrative, population, infrastructure and other commitments in Ekiti and Lagos state are not the same.

This is basic logic and sound reasoning ,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by phantom(m): 6:05pm On Feb 25, 2011
people just come unto a forum and discuss issues they know absolutely nothing about.our leaders can go on traeting doctors like crap,no problem.i just pity future leaders who will pay dearly to bring these doctors back when they leave, Trust me,we will get to that time in this country at the current rate.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 6:07pm On Feb 25, 2011
Lagos has more internally generated revenue than some of those countries you mentioned.Look, i know commissioners and governors relatives travel to the US and india for ''treatments'' that they can easily get in lasuth.Do you know how much these trips cost?I hope with the FOI bill someone will expose these monies.The doctors are aware of these, they see how commissioners and Perm secs spend money in the ministry.
Lagos has a population of at least 15million people, how many doctors are catering for that lot?Lagos should be seen trying to attract and retain the best brains to care for this population. While i was in the govt service, i saw a minimum of 50patients daily, worked 80+ hour weeks and with barely anything to work with,i didn't have a car(na yam?), i lived in a 3br flat in ikeja and worked on the island, commuting at great cost(and discomfort), i was happy in my little world doing the things i loved to do most until it became harder and harder to pay rent and i had to move to ikorodu, mind you i was living within my means.Now, it was at that point i realised that this isnt the way life should be for a doctor.You are giving your best, risking your life and that of your family daily(for a monthly hazard allowance of 600naira ). . .regardless of your love for others, your life comes first.So i did what Eko ile has been advising, i left.Fact is i have never regretted ever leaving(not possible with accounts very happy, a half paid off mortgage(within 3years) and taking very good care of my family.Now tell me why i wont give all my energy to the NHS?
and you know what, it is structures like this that help all the health indices here.Infant mortality, maternal mortality etc.It is the fact that people will work their best to keep lucrative jobs that rub off on patient care.
The only losers in this government's war against the doctors are the masses
Tinubu and Fashola will never have to use these hospitals, their wives and children will deliver here in the NHS or go to the US
The masses being deceived by their spins are the ones who will pay,they are unconcerned and detached from the reality of the suffering masses.
They will paint buildings and invite pressmen(as if that is a favour to the people,no, it is why they were elected),you can't ignore human capital development at the expense of being seen to be working.
I feel bad at times when i see the quality of care people get here and i imagine the masses in Lagos island,lacking basic care.If we all leave, who will take care of people?if we all take eko ile's advice and leave, what will happen to those who dont have money for eko hospital?
The constant loss of the brightest and the best isnt in the interest of the masses.At the end of the day, you will be left with those who are probably not that bright,not very experienced and quite frustrated.
I hope it never gets to that.
Let's stop encouraging the brain flight.(note its not drain, its the deliberate chasing away of the brains).
Health is one of the main indices of development.If we want to deveop, lets pay the doctors, nurses, pharmacists and lab folks well.
You never know when you will need their service in an emergency.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 6:11pm On Feb 25, 2011
phantom:

people just come unto a forum and discuss issues they know absolutely nothing about.our leaders can go on traeting doctors like crap,no problem.i just pity future leaders who will pay dearly to bring these doctors back when they leave, Trust me,we will get to that time in this country at the current rate.

I and I pity future leaders who are willing to place the safety of their citizens in the hands of out of state dictating National masters and puppeteers.  

Nigeria is a free market economy, not a communist state or economy.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by phantom(m): 6:13pm On Feb 25, 2011
reindeer:

Lagos has more internally generated revenue than some of those countries you mentioned.Look, i know commissioners and governors relatives travel to the US and india for ''treatments'' that they can easily get in lasuth.Do you know how much these trips cost?I hope with the FOI bill someone will expose these monies.The doctors are aware of these, they see how commissioners and Perm secs spend money in the ministry.
Lagos has a population of at least 15million people, how many doctors are catering for that lot?Lagos should be seen trying to attract and retain the best brains to care for this population. While i was in the govt service, i saw a minimum of 50patients daily, worked 80+ hour weeks and with barely anything to work with,i didn't have a car(na yam?), i lived in a 3br flat in ikeja and worked on the island, commuting at great cost(and discomfort), i was happy in my little world doing the things i loved to do most until it became harder and harder to pay rent and i had to move to ikorodu, mind you i was living within my means.Now, it was at that point i realised that this isnt the way life should be for a doctor.You are giving your best, risking your life and that of your family daily(for a monthly hazard allowance of 600naira ). . .regardless of your love for others, your life comes first.So i did what Eko ile has been advising, i left.Fact is i have never regretted ever leaving(not possible with accounts very happy, a half paid off mortgage(within 3years) and taking very good care of my family.Now tell me why i wont give all my energy to the NHS?
and you know what, it is structures like this that help all the health indices here.Infant mortality, maternal mortality etc.It is the fact that people will work their best to keep lucrative jobs that rub off on patient care.
Tinubu and Fashola will never have to use these hospitals, their wives and children will deliver here in the NHS or go to the US
The masses being deceived by their spins are the ones who will pay,they are unconcerned and detached from the reality of the suffering masses.
They will paint buildings and invite pressmen(as if that is a favour to the people,no, it is why they were elected),you can't ignore human capital development at the expense of being seen to be working.
I feel bad at times when i see the quality of care people get here and i imagine the masses in Lagos island,lacking basic care.If we all leave, who will take care of people?if we all take eko ile's advice and leave, what will happen to those who dont have money for eko hospital?
The constant loss of the brightest and the best isnt in the interest of the masses.At the end of the day, you will be left with those who are probably not that bright,not very experienced and quite frustrated.
Let's stop encouraging the brain flight.(note its not drain, its the deliberate chasing away of the brains).
Health is one of the main indices of development.If we want to deveop, lets pay the doctors, nurses, pharmacists and lab folks well.
if you think our leaders cares about health,forget it, my brother you are in a country that takes healthcare seriously.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by hercules07: 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2011
@deer

I acknowledge the importance of the medical field, afterall, my children were delivered in hospitals, where I have issues is when they seem to be holding the government to ransom, the packages described by Fashola is fair enough, why are doctors comparing themselves to politicians, we all know politicians are thieves, do doctors want to have the reputation of politicians?
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by phantom(m): 6:18pm On Feb 25, 2011
hercules07:

@deer

I acknowledge the importance of the medical field, afterall, my children were delivered in hospitals, where I have issues is when they seem to be holding the government to ransom, the packages described by Fashola is fair enough, why are doctors comparing themselves to politicians, we all know politicians are thieves, do doctors want to have the reputation of politicians?

Re read your comment, ask yourself honestly, does it make sense
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 6:25pm On Feb 25, 2011
reindeer:

The fact is, Lagos is basically trying to emerge from decades of rot and neglect, it's also the only state in Nigeria shouldering our national and collective failure because Nigerians from every corner of Nigeria sees Lagos as the only land of opportunity and they troop into Lagos in thousands everyday and end up calling Lagos home.

Now, when people troop into Lagos, are they trooping in with money for accommodation, sewage and garbage disposal, money for education, health care, street cleaning, civil service, state utilities, money for roads and bridges, hospitals and clinics, skills centers, drivers institutes, metro rail, general transportation?

No, they don't, it's up to the state to welcome, accommodate and provide for each and every one of these 18 million Nigerians with measly 2 billion dollars a year.

How much is 2 billion for a state with 18 million people and decades of messed up and neglected infrastructure? This is not even a developed state, they are starting from scratch and we all have to sacrifice something  before we arrive at our desired and preferred destination.

Let's be realistic and quit acting as if we are living a perfect society where everything works.  No, Lagos state is just lucky to have a leader with good sense and mindset. Like they say, Rome wasn't built in a day,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Pennywise(m): 6:27pm On Feb 25, 2011
Doctors can make these extraordinary demands because of the chaotic nature of entitlement and remuneration that exists in our structureless country. There are no yardstick for justifiable demand in Nigeria. We are supposed to be a federation but salaries are determined at the federal level and states are expected to comply.

700k per mth is too much for a salaried worker in a state civil service even if you are a doctor. If you want to make big money resign your appointment and do what the chief agitator has done: take your chance and become a lawmaker. Or may be go into private practice. There are a dozen other things u can do without causing unnecessary pain and misery. I say sack them. Other doctors will happily take their place-3 are awaiting for each one you sack. We have no shortage of them in Nigeria
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 6:43pm On Feb 25, 2011
@pennywise you think 700k is too much for a salaried worker?
Do you ask yourself at what age people start earning that and after how many years experience?The state govt is trying to use blackmail against the doctors and i think thats not fair at all.
When you enter into an agreement, you should be ready to stand by it.The govt agreed to pay by january!Were they ignorant of the fact that the budget will not be ready by then?shouldn't the person who signed have been sacked for this kind of error.
Private practice is definitely not it in Lagos except of course you have a few hundred millions to invest and charge appropriately.MAny doctors have tried it and all they get is families begging them to forgo or reduce bills cos like they say ''medicine is humanitarian''.Many are owed several hundred thousands to a point where they've  had to close shop.The only way most people make money in private practice is by cutting corners with quality, and i think that is just so wrong.
Let government put priorities right, pay health workers(not just doctors), then put in place punitive measures for malpractice and errors.
When development is measured,it is still these health indices that will play a role,at then end of the day,after many years of ''doing well'' you will still end up with an underdeveloped state.
The govt shouldn't allow this degenerate into a clash of egos.
What is needed is a permanent solution,pass it into law that these monies will be paid now but they will not agitate for another rise for at least xx years and let them sign it, everyone goes home happy, and the unnecessary loss of lives can end.It will even help budget planning if the state can predict for lets say the next 5years how much it will cost to fund the health sector,

The real bad guys here i think are Tinubu and a few so called ''medical elders'' e.g Dr Falomo who keep going on and on about earning 200naira as their salary as young doctors,so why should this generation fare any better.I think Fashola is doing well and shouldn't allow Tinubu and these misguided ''elders'' mislead him.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by zeituni: 6:57pm On Feb 25, 2011
i am seeing people assuming doctors get 700,000,Pls someone show me the receipts!That amount has never been paid to any doctor and it just tells to the credibility of Fashola, and his cohort Tinubu.At the person talking about Doctors in Ghana getting 800dollars in 2003 can u please do that maths?that is 100-120,000 monthly that is leaps and bounds over what doctors were collecting at the comensurate time in Nigeria, But you yourself dont have an understanding of the facts you are trying to put across, SAD, Very little comprehension skills,
"Seanot or what mess you address your self by, Hate it or like it,Fashola would bend!His integrity is at stake!Again the government has not met the doctors demands,all the figures they are spewing is Gibberish because even they can't provide proof.I am all for people demanding what is owed to them and the drugged up bully(Tinubu) should deal with it!
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Pennywise(m): 7:01pm On Feb 25, 2011
reindeer,
You have to look at it along side the current cost of living in Nigeria, what other workers earn and what you are realistically capable of paying! Dont think other workers will to and sleep when u finish parceling these largese to doctors. Nurses the paramedical staff and other unrelated workers are waiting.

It is wrong to think the only way to succeed in private practice is to cut corners. Far from it. Those who do usually do not succeed. The truth remains if you are a paid employee of government do not expect to earn what those in private practice make b/c its a biz. U can succed or u can fail. No qualification truly prepares u for that

The fact remains that the govt has been more than generous. Any more concession could collapse an already defective system. They have shot themselves in the foot and public sentiments are already against them. They should be given an opportunity to return back to work failing which their position should be declared vacant. Applications will come from Nigerian doctors from all over the world
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Pennywise(m): 7:05pm On Feb 25, 2011
zeituni:

i am seeing people assuming doctors get 700,000,Pls someone show me the receipts!That amount has never been paid to any doctor and it just tells to the credibility of Fashola,  and his cohort Tinubu.At the person talking about Doctors in Ghana getting 800dollars in 2003 can u please do that maths?that is 100-120,000 monthly that is leaps and bounds over what doctors were collecting at the comensurate time in Nigeria, But you yourself dont have an understanding of the facts you are trying to put across, SAD, Very little comprehension skills,
"Seanot or what mess  you address your self by, Hate it or like it,Fashola would bend!His integrity is at stake!Again the government has not met the doctors demands,all the figures they  are spewing is Gibberish because even they can't provide proof.I am all for people demanding what is owed to them and the drugged up bully(Tinubu) should deal with it!

My dear friend if you think u struck gold with your letter of appointment into Lagos health service, you are wrong. Civil service is not for gold seekers. Take your search else where. with your superior comprehension skill I know u will understand me

The most logical thing is to declare all positions vacant. Striking doctors may be free to reapply
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by evilspirit: 7:10pm On Feb 25, 2011
Pennywise:

Doctors can make these extraordinary demands because of the chaotic nature of entitlement and remuneration that exists in our structureless country. There are no yardstick for justifiable demand in Nigeria. We are supposed to be a federation but salaries are determined at the federal level and states are expected to comply.

700k per mth is too much for a salaried worker in a state civil service even if you are a doctor. If you want to make big money resign your appointment and do what the chief agitator has done: take your chance and become a lawmaker. Or may be go into private practice. There are a dozen other things u can do without causing unnecessary pain and misery. I say sack them. Other doctors will happily take their place-3 are awaiting for each one you sack. We have no shortage of them in Nigeria

doctors are professionals you sack them at people's peril.they have an association. all they'll do is to call on all doctors to reject Lagos state work.i was told Nigeria has less than 50000 practicing doctors for population of 150million(i.e 1:3000 doc to patients ratio).yet they are leaving in droves to Britain Australia and America. America with population of 300million has about 1million doctors (i.e ratio 1:300)even at this they are still absorbing more and paying them right.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by Pennywise(m): 7:12pm On Feb 25, 2011
evilspirit:

doctors are professionals you sack them at people's peril.they have an association. all they'll do is to call on all doctors to reject Lagos state work.i was told Nigeria has less than 50000 practicing doctors for population of 150million(i.e 1:3000 doc to patients ratio).yet they are leaving in droves to Britain Australia and America. America with population of 300million has about 1million doctors (i.e ratio 1:300)even at this they are still absorbing more and paying them right.
Do you think all doctors in govt support this nonsense?

Anyway, i have to leave now
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 7:28pm On Feb 25, 2011
Sacking them will never be a solution my friends
You will only recruit a new set that after the euphoria of a new job will start agitating again.
The solution is that they should be paid this CONMESS now but made to sign documents saying there will be no strikes for welfare over the next say 5years,anyone entering service then knows what will obtain till 2016 and hence be well informed before emplyment.The govt can then decide to push for legislation against unions(if they succeed)or legislate against strikes etc
Sacking a crop of experienced doctors to replace them with fresh out of medical school newbies will be suicide.
Someone said doctors from outside Nigeria will apply in droves? grin grin grin
You should do a research and ask the northern states how much they pay the egyptian and pakistani doctors they bring in without licenses to murder their citizens.
I met a pakistani Dr here in the UK who had worked in Sokoto state before being paid about 1500$ a month, yet he owned up to attempting surgeries he could never have tried back home.He stayed long enough to save money to write his UK exams and moved here afterwards.Don't delude yourselves, no one will apply in ''droves'' when doctors earn more in Botswana and Namibia.
It is quite simple but for the large Egos in play
Pay well, extract a commitment, demand better service, set stricter standards for recruitment
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by zeituni: 7:31pm On Feb 25, 2011
@ Pennywise, I don't work for the civil service and i think you saying they should sack them is rather shallow and immature, The profession is a highly skilled one, Trust me you might be able to get the lower cadre doctors employed but the more experienced ones are not so easy to come by, How do you replace the vaccuum, For example my brother worked in Peadiatrics in one of the hospitals, You don't just get any doctor to work there because of the intricacies,calculations ffor drug doses/fact neonates can't talk, etc, Not just any doctor can work in peadiatrics unless you subscribe to wrong management, But again.people dont mind been fed with spoit yam, So i kind off agree with you , Sack them and see how that won't be a nail in the coffin of his political carreer, Silly unguarded statement from a druggie
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by alfablondy: 7:46pm On Feb 25, 2011
@ workingdoc,  i understand how u feel and what u are going tru. Dont mind those pple supporting the govt they have been blindfolded, they dont really know what is obtainable elsewhere even in Africa talkless of ist world nations.

I tink it is high time our govt values and appreciate the service rendered by drs . I am a dr like you, i worked for thesame govt for almost  4 years, in one of the busiest hosp in lagos island. it was very ectic working there

my collegue i pray GOD will answer your  prayer, i guess u dont really appreciate how much suffering drs are going tru until when u have the opportunity to practice in another Africa country, Im not talking about South Africa, europe or america. u will be suprised to see the level of derogation drs are subjected to at home.  

I pray that govt shuld fufil their own part of the agreement.  pls if u have the opportunity of travelling out pls do, for the sake of the future of ur children.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by life707: 11:57pm On Feb 25, 2011
Don't mind these politicians. They know how to feed most Nigerians (usually gullible) lies.

Lets face it, even doctors now understand the politics they play,dats the reason for freq strike actions.
Imagine in Kaduna state, the governor announced in June,2010 on state TV that salary was increased by 75% but at the end of the month, total increment was 1.5%.
When doctors threatened to go on strike,the politicians called all the religious leaders to plead & most times u cant just say no to these elderly people.

By Jan. 2011, the govt deceived(coz NMA foolishly sent sms to all doctors & raised doctors hope) the NMA KD chapter dt 90% of COMESS will be implemented till june & from july it will be 100% but dear Nigerians & NLders til date whn bank alert came today that promise have not been fulfilled.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by nyrol(m): 1:25am On Feb 26, 2011
Sack the idiots. Am sure they are so happy at the loss of lives with the hope that the people of the state would soon revolt against it government. But na lie we would rather revolt against wicked and heartless doctors. Greedy idiots playing kite with human lives they were trained to protect. if BRF isnt paying you enough simply resign and Bleep off.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by reindeer: 2:27am On Feb 26, 2011
nyrol:

Sack the idiots. Am sure they are so happy at the loss of lives with the hope that the people of the state would soon revolt against it government. But na lie we would rather revolt against wicked and heartless doctors. Greedy idiots playing kite with human lives they were trained to protect. if BRF isnt paying you enough simply resign and bleep off.

guess you feel a little better after that mindless rant.You need to calm down and reason before posting.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by flckr: 9:26am On Feb 26, 2011
@hercules; u talk abt doctors not being present during ur deliveries,that i know can't be true.Through out the duration of labour,i beg to ask who did the vital signs monitoring,progression of labour monitoring.WHo decided when to augment labour when the contractions were not adequate/progressing well.
Is it the nurses that can tell the labour was getting prolonged or likely to become obstructed.NOPES!!!!! Only a doctor can identify early signs of poor labour progress.Who repairs ur tears or the episiotomy"cut" the nurses give u at that final attempt at pushing and if the delivery goes awry(bleeding ensues),who takes care of it.THE DOCTOR YOU ARE CASTIGATING;US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U talk about doctors in GHANA earning $800 in 2003,for ur info as at 2010 a fresh doc was earning $1500 with a roof over his head,a car that comes to pick him/her to work from the accomodation.If he/she decides to import a car,it is done duty free and not some old smoky car.They spend their holidays outside the CONTINENT not AFRICA and still they are leaving GHANA with all their govts attempt at keeping them.Up until 2010,nigerian doctors were migrating to GHANA if u don't know.
Let me show u the pattern of migration nw.Its aknown fact amongst us doctors;u can ask any close doctor frnd of urs:Started with saudi arabia in the 90's and i can tell u it happened again last yr.This country lost at least 200 doctors to saudi arabia last yr,Uk filled with nigerian doctors,South africa is filled,Ghana filled, US still taking doctors and now its AUSTRALIA.
u ALL TALk abt employing from outside the country,u cant pay them the stupid pay we r earnin now.The northern states are trying it bt its nt working thats why there is a high rate of mortality there.They bring in some funny egyptians,sudanese and pakistanis who are paid in thousands of dollars with very poor working knowledge or why on earth do u think when corper docs are posted they can never get redeployed cos they kniow what skills we can offer.

IN the past,if u all don't knw there was a surgeon general who the president never took for granted on issues of national importance which the advanced countries(US,UK) still have.Doctors were the highest earners in this country in the past.They earned more than ur judges,service chiefs until we went to sleep and lost our birth rights.Truth be told,those of us there now are out the get it BACK LEGITIMATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by evilspirit: 11:09am On Feb 26, 2011
my friend's father earned 1000 naira in 1980 as a house officer when dollar was 60kobo to a dollar.that was about 1600 dollars.simple maths 240k.with international inflation that 1600 dollars will be worth about 2500 dollars now 380k
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by evilspirit: 11:58am On Feb 26, 2011
Nigerian health sector is in crisis

when i see people hating doctors when they demand better welfare i laugh.Nigerians do not know their birth rights.Good quality healthcare is your birth right!!!!!!.this can only be possible with well equipped ,well trained ,well motivated staff.do you know that the life expectancy in nigeria is about 52 while in America its about 87, a difference of 35years!!!!, yet they are employing more from all around the world. you scream and shout that the doctors are unreasonable.
Most hospital are equipped with obsolete equipments.any doctor from nigeria  will most likely require an update to get used to their equipments if you travel abroad, for training you need a letter from atiku or IBB to get residency placements in teaching hospitals
doctors suffer in penury.going by the level of poverty and lack of insurance for the whole populace and the fact that medicine need a lot of research mostly in teaching hospitals. it is only reasonable that govt is the highest employer of labor in health sector,or how many people can afford poorly staffed and equipped private hospitals.
our health sector is indeed in crisis.we have less than 50000 doctors when in actual fact we need about  300000 doctors.have you seen in recent time any foreign trained doctor coming back home to practise permanently?whereas in oil sector,banking telecoms etc Nigerians apply from abroad.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by hercules07: 12:47pm On Feb 26, 2011
@flckr

Welcome to Nigerian doctors, the nurses took delivery, the first baby was born at Island Maternity and the doctors did not show up until the next morning, it was the sister on duty that took delivery, infact, the doctor that came early in the morning was considered incompetent by the sister, this was in 2004, the other two were born at private hospitals and the nurses did the bulk of the work, when it comes to delivery, midwives can do everything jare. It is only where there are complications that doctors must be around.
Also do not go around calling people liars, it reflects badly on you.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by SoJaded: 2:18pm On Feb 26, 2011
hercules07:

@flckr

Welcome to Nigerian doctors, the nurses took delivery, the first baby was born at Island Maternity and the doctors did not show up until the next morning, it was the sister on duty that took delivery, infact, the doctor that came early in the morning was considered incompetent by the sister, this was in 2004, the other two were born at private hospitals and the nurses did the bulk of the work, when it comes to delivery, midwives can do everything jare. It is only where there are complications that doctors must be around.
Also do not go around calling people liars, it reflects badly on you.
i think u need to be real careful so ur words don't come back to haunt you
and i pray u never really need a doctor at any point in your life
for people like eko ile they're justified in talking crap they're only earning their pay, but when a nigerian who is going to depend on these same doctors comes to a public forum to spout the trash u've been spilling it's really sad.
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 3:05pm On Feb 26, 2011
You people are still crying? You can not take what your employer doesn't have and if 75% is not enough for you,  you have all the rights and options in this world to go elsewhere and collect what ever you think you are worth. Working for the Lagos state government is not a do or die proposition.

Doctors are not the only civil servants in lagos state and it's very imprudent to spend so much money on just doctors when other civil servants and tons of other state responsibilities needs equal attention.

This is really getting tiring and redundant,
Re: Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors by hercules07: 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2011
Apparently sojaded is still suffering effects of his or her name, I should not upbraid doctors because I might need them abi, please if you do not have anything meaningful to say, leave the thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ojukwu’s Burial: Massob Declares Sit-at-home Order / Jonathan Is Winning Southwest Votes: Is Anyone Doubting This? / Lagos Takes Delivery Of 800 Marcopolo Buses From Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.